Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    The 06 you drove was probably a 5 passenger with out the convience package and you have a seven passenger or a 5 passenger with convience.

Grommet I have not talked to my Marketing Manager yet she has not been by lately but I will ask her about that next time she is in.
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    I agree with you that testing all automobiles on the same scale is crazy. Comparing a Corvette to a Civic is quite meaningless.

That being said, their reliability statistics are taken from readers, not the vehicle they test. I would think twice about poo-pooing a statistically significant survey when your comparison data is "I have one and it works great."

As I have said before, if you love LRs and can put up with the downside, like lots of shop time for many, than get one. Obviously, there are many people like that here. But don't kid yourself into believing that LR and Toyota are on the same reliability spectrum.

Regards,
    Tom
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Hey Guys, it looks like I'm going to finalize the purchase of a 2006 Land Rover LR3 HSE, Black with Alpaca leather (tan) today. We have not put ink on paper but we have agree verbally on the deal. I'm having them add the wood dash and I'm getting rubber floor mats for all three rows, other than that, it's fully loaded.

I researched to the "Nth" degree on the Land Rover, Volvo XC90 and the Jeep Commander. I went to the San Francisco International Auto show Thanksgiving weekend so I could look, yet once again, at all three vehicles and make comparisons.

The LR3 fit my needs the best. I know that there are people here who have had trouble and those who have had a wonderful experience. I'm willing to take the chance because I really like the vehicle.

I sincerely believe that life is too short to settle on a vehicle that you just "like" because you think that another brand that you "love" might break down. If I have a lot of trouble with the new vehicle, I'll just get rid of it.

Toyota and Nissan products just don't do it for me, I know they are excellent vehicles but I like the more distinctive looks and clean lines of the Land Rover.

So, I'll be joining the "Land Rover Club" here at Edmunds and will report back with my experience of ownership.

Mark :)
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • grendalflygrendalfly Member Posts: 21
    Yes, but in this case the reliability record for the LR3 is based on the Disco II and Past LR trucks in general.
    That is why they call it predicted reliability. So it is not based on actual LR3 Owners. I would love to see how statistically significant this prediction is....

I have recently cancelled my subscription to CR, not because of this review, but because they no longer provide the same detail as they used to and they have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to electronics. Back in the day they were great for cars and appliances, but I think they have failed to adapt to the changing times.
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    Pre-congratulations, Mark. Post your "deal" in the LR3 Prices Paid forum when it's done. It's always good to know what the market is like, especially if you are around the S.F. Bay Area.
  • mrstacymrstacy Member Posts: 34
    I have the same problem sohna99. Do you know what they did to fix it. My dealer plans on fixing it, but has an extra windshield in case the original one is damaged during the fix.
  • AdamvAdamv Member Posts: 8
    Michael has the HSE, and from looking at pictures of his vehicle it seems that HSE's don't suffer from the same wimpy stock tires that the SE's do. As I mentioned previously this is the worst car I've ever driven in the snow/ice. And I think that's totally due to the stock Goodyears.I put a set of Blizzaks on this past weekend. I should get a chance to try them out in a week or two and I'll let you know what I think...
  • AdamvAdamv Member Posts: 8
    I also had a similar problem, and there was also no leak during the dealer hose test. Finally I figured out it was the strip the runs front to back on both sides of the roof. It had became loose and when moving, or during heavy downfalls, water would seep in... Luckily I was able to fix it myself.
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    Good point. Probably should wait to see how this year's actual #s shake out.

Regards,
    Tom
    The deal is done and the LR3 is sitting in the garage! WOW, what a nice vehicle! It's always fun getting a new set of wheels but this one really has me excited.

I didn't notice the pin stripe that runs front to back just above the door handles. It's a creamy color that matches the interior. I swear it wasn't there when I drove it but I could be mistaken. I just have to get used to it.

They ordered the wood for the dash today; I picked out the color and it will be custom made for the LR3. I think the warmth of the wood will really set off the interior.

I'm just pleased as punch (southern term) about this purchase and the salesman was wonderful.

I'll post in the "prices paid" section when I get a chance (have to pull the paperwork out).

Happy motoring, Mark156 :D

PS. Grommett, my main home is in Tennessee and I also have a place in the southern California desert.
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • manoftastemanoftaste Member Posts: 51
    congratulations mark, i am also pretty close to doing the deed. can you post pics of the interior once you get the wood trim installed. i was thinking of opting for the factory kit but it doesn't look that great for the price imho. thanks.
    Manoftaste.. My salesman told me that the factory wood kit has been recalled/discontinued temporaryly and my dealer is using another source. I picked a similar shade that the factory offered and the salesman said that the new company will warrant the wood for the as long as I own the vehicle. The Rover factory warranty was only 4 years/50k miles. Of course, I'm sure most people won't keep their LR's 25 years.

The wood will arrive in about 10 days and I will take it back for installation.

For those who wanted to know the deal that I got, here it is. (I couldn't find the prices paid forum for the LR3)

2006 Land Rover LR3 HSE, Java Black Pearlescent, Alpaca Beige leather, Cold climate pkg, Heavy Duty pkg.

List $55,525.00
    options added:
    wood dash 750.00
    mats 225.00
    TOTAL MSRP $56,500.00

Trade $20,000.00 (2002 MB ML500, 47,800 miles)

Discount $2,375.00
    __
    final price
    before taxes
    and flees ----- $34,125.00

Mark :D
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congrats from a former resident of TN. Please report on your deal over in the Land Rover LR3: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences discussion. :shades:

[edit] lol, you're too fast for me!

Steve, Host
    Steve... I honestly coudn't find the LR3 prices paid thread, I guess I need new contacts lenses, thanks for "linking". I reposted the info over there.

Mark :shades:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I know a good opthamologist in Chattanooga. :-)

Enjoy the new ride!

Steve, Host
  • stevelr3stevelr3 Member Posts: 3
    hey all,
    had my gas tank changed out last week and so far so good, but today when i filled up with gas for the first time since the change, the hose came off the filler neck.
    i had the gas hose on with the clicker/auto filler handle holder on and when it finished and clicked off, it popped off and out of the gas tank filler neck to the ground. this is where i usually fill up and i usually do the auto-fill thing, so just curious if anybody else has had this happen to them as it did make a mess and could have also scratched the car as it fell to the ground. was this just a weird accident or is something now different with the gas tank filler neck????
  • vtsailguyvtsailguy Member Posts: 10
    I have decided to purchase snow tires (Hakkapeliitta SUV). Does anyone have any suggestions on getting low-cost winter wheels (18")? I cannot find anything.
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    I have to say,speaking of reliability, that I've had MUCH better reliability with my '00 Discovery II and my '05 LR3 than my previous 10 Mercedes-Benzes or my last 5 Toyotas, 1 BMW, and numerous "American" junkers.

My Rovers had no issues while the Benzes and Toys were a pain-in-the-[non-permissible content removed], so you never know...and my 99 DII was the worst vehicle ever built...
  • sohna99sohna99 Member Posts: 50
    They performed water ingress test by letting sprinkler ran on top of the vehicles for an hour. They didn't found any leaks in the vehicle. Then they inspected front sunroof drain tubes and found that left tube mis-routed and restricted. They re-routed the hose.
    Next day it ran very hard, no leaks, seems like the problem is fixed.
    You can ask your dealer to do the same.

Good luck.
  • knuckleheadknucklehead Member Posts: 30
    Or at least that's the way the tech described it. My wife is currently in San Antonio and said she turned off the vehicle, pulled the key and then the fun began. The navigation screen started flashing, the locks began to lock/unlock, puffs of air, described to me like little farts, started coming out of the vents, and the turn signals began to flash. Luckily she was only a few miles away from a LR dealership. She got there and the tech turned it on and, drum roll please, you guessed it, it acted normal. He turned it off, turned it back on and the thing went crazy. That's when he apparently turned to my wife and said it's possessed. Luckily the problem was so strange, and my wife's from out of town, that they're going to start work on it immediately, even though they're backed-up a couple of weeks. Now I'm no mechanic, but I'm guessing the problems electrical in nature(sarcasm). I'll post back when I get some more info, or a Priest.
  • michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    >>>Which stock tires to you have?

Goodyear Wrangler HP's, also.
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    Mark

I have been waiting to hear how you liked your test drive. I have been following your reviews on the different boards because I am comparing the same vehicles.

Glad to hear you loved it. I also like the Jeep a lot, but the LR3 offers so much more. i.e. Room, luxury, etc.

Don't forget to let me know what the dashboard looks like at night. I have got to know!
    Tdo123 (Tim), I researched for one solid month before making my decision. I picked up a brochure for each vehicle and read them cover to cover (LR3, XC90, Commander). Originally, I was really hot for the Commander and I still think it's a nice vehicle as I have had two Jeep Grand Cherokee's in the past ('96 and '99).

I need third seat room. The Volvo was better than the Jeep but not by much. When the Jeep's third seat is folded down, the floor is rather tall. I also need good storage when the third seat is folded down. You would not believe the storage space in the LR3. It is enormous!

I also like the way the third seats lock in place providing a totally flat area. If anyone is in the third seat, they are able to get out on their own. In my ML, I had to "let" them out. In the LR3, there is a latch on top of the second row seat to bend the seat over then there is a loop to pull at the bottom of the seat to allow it to flip up allowing a person to exit. This can be done on either side as the second row is divided 35/30/35.

I may have the sunroof glass tinted darker as there is not a solid cover to keep the sun out. The "shade" that you pull to close the sunroof is made of a material that has small holes in it. It's that way for all three sunroofs as each row has their own. Only the front one opens.

As far as the dash, I don't find anything unusual as it seems nice. I'm glad that the radio and navigation are on separate systems. The ML had them together.

Another neat feature is the key fob... you have a choice as what you want the "Land Rover" emblem to do. There is a button to unlock the doors as there is one to lock them. The Land Rover emblem can be programed to do three things.
    1) It will illuminate the front headlights with on hit, a second hit will then light up the reverse lights.
    2) You can programme (British spelling :P ) the fob to activate the burglar alarm.
    2) Or, you can select for the LR3 to raise or lower. If you press on the Land Rover emblem and the 'Lock' feature at the same time, the vehicle will raise, if you press the 'unlock' feature in conjunction with the Land Rover emblem, it will lower.

SO, you have a nice choice on what will work for you. I selected to have the lights come on. There is a lever on the inside console that will allow you to raise or lower the vehicle which I like better. The "lighting" feature works for me better than the other choices.

Mark :shades:
    FYI: The remote suspension raise and lower function only works if you turn on the Emergency flashers... yes, a safety lockout. It's intended to assist when hooking up a trailer and not much more.
  • knuckleheadknucklehead Member Posts: 30
    Cavender LR in San Antonio found the problem. Apparently a connector, located in the front passenger kick panel, that goes to the fuse box had gotten water in it and corroded. They replaced the connector(both ends) and the problem was solved.
    Grommet (do you have a best friend named Wallace?)...

Anyway, yes, you are correct, the flashers have to be operating to use the key fob suspension for raising/lowering the LR3. I'm still reading the manual and learning more and more.

When the turning signal is on, occasionally, it will make a warning noise which I assume to let you know it has been left on. I wish I could turn off that feature. I'll have to check in the manual to see if it's a choice.

I really like the feel of this vehicle; the ride, steering, etc. It feels very solid.

Mark
  • esvcaddy4meesvcaddy4me Member Posts: 8
    I am looking at the LR3 and 07 Escalade. I was all set on an Escalade until I looked at the LR3 online. Our closest dealer is 2 hours away so I am trying to decide if this would be a wise choice due to repairs and service. It seems that those of you who have LR3's are happy with them and do not have any major problems with them. Due to LR being part of Ford could I take it to my local Ford dealership for service? Also, I have three boys and what is the leg room like between the 2nd and 3rd seat. I am driving a Burb right now and I like all the room. Any comments you have would be appreciated.
  • colorado4x4colorado4x4 Member Posts: 29
    This week Colorado was blessed with more snow and temperatures below 0 F. I was in TX all week and my wife had the LR3. After the second day of snow, the windshield washer fluid stopped pumping. Needless to say, driving was dangerous with all the road grime being kicked up. My wife drove straight to the dealer and left 45 minutes later with a new washer fluid pump installed. Our service manager even sent her on her way without completing the paperwork as both of my young children were with her and eagerly awaiting lunch.

That is the service I paid for when I bought this truck. If you don't receive it at your dealership, tell them to step it up!

Anybody else having problems with this pump? We are at about 45k miles.
    No, you need a Land Rover dealer... Ford mechanics are trained on Ford branded vehicles. Yes, Ford owns Land Rover now... but it's still a Land Rover. ;)

The leg room is excellent in my opinion. The 3rd row can handle 6' adults fairly comfortably. However, "wide" folks may not be too comfortable in any of the rear seats. This is not a Suburban or an Escalade; it's the same size (externally) as a Ford Explorer. It's just very efficient, partially due to the boxy design.
    No, Wallace is Gromit's best friend. ;) Mark, no idea what you mean about the warning noise with the turn signal... I've never experienced anything like that. What does it sound like and what do you "do" to reproduce it?
    esvcaddy... I agree with Grommet as stated above.

Keep in mind, if I'm not mistaken, that the Escalade will not have "fold flat" third seats. If it's like the previous design, they will flip over but not flat.

That was the strong selling point for the LR3 for me, the full size third seat and when it's folded, I have a huge area to carry things and the seats are completely hidden. And, there is a cover to hide everything.

I like the new pics of the 2007 Escalade, it should be a wonderful seller. If I have a lot of trouble with my LR3, the Escalade might pop to the top of my list.

Mark
    Grommet, the warning that I hear when the turning signal is on is a "ding" sound. The same ding as if you had the "speedometer warning" set. When this happens, there is no message on the dash read-out.

I'll try and pay more attention when this happens to see if it's from something else.

Mark
    The dashboard has black faces for the speedometer and tach. The color behind the instruments is a light "apple green" which is very pleasant.

Mark
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    Great!! Thanks for the update on the dash. We always look at the cars in the daytime and one doesn't always think about what it looks like at night!!

I am thrilled to hear you are so happy with it. The XC90 was also high on my list, but I think that the LR3 offers so much more.

Another car I really like was the VW Touareg. What a great ride also, but we need the 3 rows with our family and I was scared of the problems that I have been reading about.

I am waiting to see if LR is going to offer any end of 2005 incentives and I then I am going to get one myself.

Good luck with it!!!
  • pbroverpbrover Member Posts: 43
    I am looking at a New 2005HSE7, 0 miles with an ivoice date of June 2005 at a Land Rover Dealership(Salesmen sent me copy of invoice with numbers blacked out). The adaptive headlights option is not listed as an option, but the pictures of the LR3 show's it has the headlight in the moving ball device. I am confused can anybody help me with this one?

Thank you,
    Shawn :confuse:
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Even without adaptive headlights the HSE still has Auto Leveling Bi-Xenon. It is pretty much impossible to tell if a car has addaptive headlights or just bi-Xenons just but looking at the head lights in the off position.
    Hello British Rover,

Oh same housing but differnt functionailty..mmmm. I remember seeing some early build SE's that did not have the "ball housing" look, but just a simple headlight housing look (Same as current V6 headlights). That is what confused me!
    brithish rover, could you please explain what you mean by Auto Leveling Bi-Xenon. Does that mean that without the Adaptive pkg the lights move/rotate only vertically (depending on the speed or tilt of the vehicle), and that the Adaptive pkg only adds left or right/horizontal rotation capability?
    Bi-Xenon headlights were an "option" on SE, as part of the Lighting Package. Without it, it would be the normal headlights. It has nothing to do with "early build SE."

There are 3 levels of lighting, with Adaptive only being available on HSE. (Optional in '05, forced on you in '06.)

The Bi-Xenon headlights aren't Adaptive at. They are just auto-leveling... they don't actively move "up and down." Anyway, personally I can't tell much of a difference in the real world.
  • sean16sean16 Member Posts: 3
    I have test driven the 2006 LR3 several times, and have decided this is the vehicle I want. I am now having a difficult time selecting the features, and I was hoping people could chime in with advice in regards to the Navigation and adaptive Lights on the HSE.

The SE Model I am considering has all but Nav, Adap. Lights, and cooler box (as well as the upgrade in stereo, seat Mem & 19" wheels that are standard on the HSE)

The HSE model steps up with all but the heavy duty package but weighs in at 5k more. I have seen a few nav comments on the board, but none that really help make the decision. I have seen many factory Navs that aren't worth $750 let alone $2500,and does the stereo upgrade/adap. lights really add value?

Is the HSE package really worth the extra 5k?

Thanks in advance.

Sean
    sean16, you are the one who needs to decide on "worth." We have no idea what your needs are.

Will you use/need Navigation? Do you travel a lot? I already commented about the Adaptive headlights, which I do have, in the previous message; I don't think it adds much. I'm sure some think it's "cool." The HSE stereo isn't much better than the SE one; both are lacking from a "high-end" point of view. Of course, it's subjective.
    Hello,

I just purchased a 2005HSE7. I went for the HSE because of the Navigation (off road capabilities and I travel alot), 8 way power seat :D and memory instead of 6 way, 550watt stereo, and hopefully better resale since HSE7's are harder to find (at least right now). Mine does not have the adaptive headlights. I also prefer the 19 wheels. I do offroad alot so I hope the 19 inch wheels do not prove a mistake. I currently own a 99 DiscoII seven seat. I have 3 girls under 6 so, thats I went 7 seater
    :confuse: So just so I do not confuse myself. Grommet I do understand that you do not see much of difference regarding the adaptive headlights in providing a better night driving experience but cosmeticaly, since I got an HSE7 without the adaptiveheadlights, can you tell the difference from and HSE with adaptive headlights? Same housings but one just does not move?
    pbrover, 2006 has 8-way drivers for non-HSE now; this was improved due to feedback.

Right... I've driven one with non-Adaptive headlights and it doesn't seem to help that much over the Bi-Xenon. Yes, it pretty much looks the same externally just sitting there.

I'm starting to see more HSEs, since almost all recent '06 builds for here were HSE...
  • sean16sean16 Member Posts: 3
    Grommet,

Thanks for the response. I do travel quite a bit, but typically know where I am going. My main concern is the quality of the nav in the HSE, since many factory installed models are so basic and come with a high price tag (IE I can pay 600 for a garmin with a 20 gig hard drive that reroutes me when their is traffic congestion). So if the other features that come in the HSE package are really not worth it (IE stereo, ice bucket and adap. lights) and the nav is just so so, then I would most likely opt out for an after market nav. I think I saw a post from someone who has one? any feedback appreciated.

Thanks!
    Also, post your '05 deal in the LR3 Prices Paid forum, if you don't mind... I assume people should be getting good deals on '05 by now!
    I like the Navigation system... personally I think it's pretty good. But you should try it yourself. I'm sure some people prefer other style interfaces. This one was designed with Denso, so it'll be similar to other brands that use Denso... Lexus, Jaguar, etc.

It won't reroute automatically because, well, there is no way for it to know if there is congestion. That feature isn't common in North America; the cars that do have it seem to use satellite XM Radio traffic info, which is a pay service. You can tell it to reroute, though.
    grommet, will the system re-route automatically if it detects that you have gone offcourse? A few weeks ago i had rented an LR3 (an SE) from Hertz and it had Hertz add-on nav system which i think they have on pretty much all of there fleet. That system basically re-routed me every time i decided to run errands and varied from the course a little here and there during my trip. Also, along the way came a construction zone where i had to take a detour without any clear signs, etc. That automatic re-routing feature came in very handy at that time.
  • roverineroverine Member Posts: 12
    It automatically reroutes when you go off course. Also it has an off-road setting which features topo maps, allows setting of way points and has a track back feature.
    Yes, as roverine said, it will recalcuate the route if you deviate from the planned path.