Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• knuckleheadknucklehead Member Posts: 30
    Thanks grommet and british rover. 11 mpg hwy?!! That would definately get someone's attention. It averages @18-20 mpg hwy now (I have no idea about city mpg's) and that seems better than what I would of expected from a nearly 6k pound, not exactly aerodynamic, SUV with a 300hp V8 (sidenote:needs a turbo or two). I agree with the Edmunds Qrtly. Review. It's a good solid SUV. I know some here complained that Edmunds was harsh about the ergonomics, and I believe Mr. Brauer may not have understood or remembered that the LR3 has an adaptive transmission and the strategy it had learned from previous drivers may not have expected him to do what he did. But mechanically they rated it great.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I certainly didn't buy my 2006 LR3 HSE for it's gas usage efficiency. It's not my daily driver as I will probably put about 7,500 miles a year on it. I will use it for travel and when I need to haul something large or carry a bunch of people.

I have two timeshares on the California coast that I spend a month each in and I need to carry a bunch of stuff when traveling there. My Mercedes ML500 (that I traded) was packed to the gills and I had no room for any additional people besides the front passenger seat. Anyone else had to be in a different car. In the LR3 with all of the storage in the rear (folding third row seats) I may not even need to put much in the second row seat area if any. In the ML, the third seats folded up against the sides taking up a good bit of room.

Since the LR3 is so new, I'm getting about 12 mpg in the city and have gotten as much as 18.5 on the road. Hopefully, it will get better as the engine breaks in.

Mark :D
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    So what do you think of this New Freelander possibly LR2 concept?

Up untill a few months ago even our regional reps did not know what the new freelander would look like. It might look like a larger more refined version of the current freelander, might look like a small range Rover Sport(think X3 to X5 kind of styling) or it might look like a smaller LR3.

I guess this rendering shows that the next freelander will look much more like the LR3. Next freelander/LR2.

So what do you think? With an optional air suspension and a 200 something hp v6 how would it do?
    British_Rover, if the new LR2 looks like the picture in your link, Land Rover will have a BIG hit on their hands!

Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Mark :D
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • knuckleheadknucklehead Member Posts: 30
    I think I'm going to have to give it a thumbs down. One of the biggest selling points for my wife was the LR3's uniqueness. Nothing else really looked like it. When that new LR2 comes out it will look like an LR3 "mini-me".
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    The LR3 Quick Reference Guide says that Access Mode is about 2 inches lower than On-Road Mode and that Off-Road Mode is about 2 inches higher than On-Road Mode.

It also mentions Extended Mode: If the vehicle is grounded and traction control is induced, the system will automatically pump more air into the springs to raise the vehicle clear of the obstacle. This mode cannot be activated manually.

Has anyone ever used this mode? How much higher than Off-Road Mode does it go? How does it know if the vehicle is grounded? It might explain this in the owners manual which I don't have - haven't got my truck yet.

Thanks
  • jomartijomarti Member Posts: 2
    Saturday I brought home a brand-new LR3 HSE. On the way home I noticed that when I brake and come to a complete stop it sometimes feels like the brakes are releasing an then grab again. Almost like they are slipping. It doesn't happen everytime though. I took it to the dealership and the first guy drove it and said he coudl feel it and he had never felt it before. I left the truck there. Service called and said it is normal, but they did a minor tweak that should prevent it. The brakes are still doing it. Anyone else experienced this problem?
  • jomartijomarti Member Posts: 2
    Grommet,

I am impressed with your knowledge of these vehicles. I am hoping you can help me. When i come to a complete stop, on occasion after the truck comes to a stop it feels like the brakes release and then grab back again. You can feel it in the pedals. The dealer is telling me this normal, but when I did my test drive in another vehicle I don't recall this at all. My truck only has 50 miles on it. Have you heard of this issue?
  • grendalflygrendalfly Member Posts: 21
    British_Rover. I was hoping you can help me out. I have an 05 HSE Buckingham Metallic Blue and cannot find touch-up paint anywhere. I ordered it from my dealer and they have no idea when it will arrive. Third party companies don't have it yet either. Can you tell me the paint code so I can try to get some mixed up?
  • lrdriverlrdriver Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone experienced a creaking noise coming from the seat bases of evey seat? The seats (especially the driver's seat) creaks everytime you start, stop, turn, accelerate or hit a bump. Also, has anyone experienced uneven tire wear on the rear tires? I do not yet have 13,000 miles and I am on my second pair of rear tires. When I follow the car from behind it appears the camber of the rear tires is off despite the Service Center saying it is fine. Has anyone else experienced this? I have owned several Land Rovers and I have never experienced the problems I am having from my LR3. :lemon: ??
    Since that paint is retired I will have to track down the paint code in my files I don't remember what it is off the top of my head.

I will let you know by tomorrow morning.
    I thought the Buckingham is the current color and was started late 2005 after they retired the Adrianic Blue. The LR website shows Buckingham as a current color for both the LR3, RRS and the RR. If it isn't current what are they offering now?
    I read Buckingham but for some reason my brain said adriatic I dont know what was wrong with me last night.

Anyway...

The paint code for Buckingham is 796.
    Thanks.
    Now to try to find it.
    I cannot believe that LR doesn't have it in stock anywhere yet. It has been a production color for almost a year now.

It probably is on a boat with my door panel that has be back ordered for 5 months :)
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    Why are some people getting door panels ?? I hope it's not because they turn grey...I put "Eagle One" Tire Wet (or someting close to that) dressing on mine when they turned chalky and that was six months ago and they are still as black as can be.

Otherwise, NO / ZERO / ZILCH problems with the 05 LR3 HSE in 11,250 miles...I love it.
    No, I am getting a door panel because the idiot service guy put a 6 inch gouge in mine during a service visit with a screw driver.
  • mybenjemybenje Member Posts: 18
    I am looking to purchase LR3 V8. I have shopping and it looks like I can get a great deal on 05 than 06. Just curious if they are any issues with 05 LR3 from owners experiences. It is a first year car after all (Version 1.0) I know it was a recall for the gas tank on the 05's.
    Is the 06 a better SUV? or the dealers are trying to clear their inventories.

Thanks
    Mybenje, in Souther California
  • macc24macc24 Member Posts: 20
    Mybenje,

Your concerns can be researched at the NHTSA website. In looking there is one recall for 2005 and 2 recalls for 2006 LR3's. There are 3 TSB's for 2005 and 1 TSB for 2006. The recalls between years are not similar and there is one TSB, which addresses the same issue on both model year vehicles (if you were to have this problem then you can refer the dealer that specific TSB for guidance on how to fix your problem).

The NHTSA website is a great resource for research and during the life of your vehicle. If anyone does have a problem w/their LR3 not only should you notify the dealer but let the NHTSA know about it as well - this may speed things up on a TSB or a future recall. Whatever you do just don't sit around and whine about it like a 3 year old, help the entire community drive safer LR3's by notifying the correct people/organizations.

I hope this helps address some of your concerns.

macc24

On a side note... when Rover men wave at you as you drive your Rover, women, it is ok to wave back. Gents, thanks for keeping the community strong, see you on the trails.
  • bburgesonbburgeson Member Posts: 1
    Mark,

I have a LR6 SE V6 with 6000 miles on it and it also has the suspension fault light coming on during nornmal driving. More disturbing is the SRS warning light that started poping on a few days ago. The same thing occurs with my LR3 - I shut it off, let it sit for a few minutes and the faults magically go away when I turn it back on.

Other that these 2 issues, its a great car and I'm really happy wih it.

I'll post again when I have the dealer take a look at it. Hopefully its something simple like a kludgy sensor.
  • justinaindejustinainde Member Posts: 5
    My wife and I purchased a pre-owned '05 SE with 13000 miles and a new Honda Pilot over the weekend, and I was very disappointed to find that the Pilot's sound system runs circles around my LR3's 240 watt H/K system. I have more than all the bass I need in both vehicles, but the crisp, tight highs I'd expect with the H/K are nowhere to be found. Is it the receiver or the speakers, and has anyone replaced the factory speakers with better after market ones to resolve this issue? Of course, I love everything else about my LR3....
  • lr3bethesdamdlr3bethesdamd Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I purchased last month an 2006 LR3 HSE with luxury/heavy duty packages. I just turned in my 2004 Discovery SE. The 2004 and 2006 models are like night and day. The 2006 LR3 drives beautifully. It is smooth as silk and is wider, longer, etc. than the 2004. It took a while to get used to the new body type, however, I would never go back.

Now, regarding the 2005 model, I rented one for a week on the West Coast last August. After driving that, getting back into my 2004 was strange. I felt all boxed in. I'm 6'1" and roughly 230 lbs. I am probably at the edge of comfort for Discovery II, however, I'm swimming in the 2006 LR3.

By the way, I took excellent care of my 2004. Body and interior were immaculate, however, the 2006 LR3 HSE is like a fine gem, worth polishing, admiring, and polishing some more. Black interior/exterior is a must for this vehicle. It may be a Land Rover, though it turns heads like a Range Rover!

So...do I use the center consol refrigerator? Yes! Do I love the adaptive headlights? Yes! Do I vacuum, throw out my trash, etc. one month later? Absolutely! By the way, my full-service state-of-the-art car wash in Rockville knows me on a first name basis. The clear-coat does very well. The 2004 was the same. Never dulled.

Eric
  • roverineroverine Member Posts: 12
    I replaced my H/K speakers on my 2005 SE with Alpines and added an extra amp while still using the old H/K head unit for compatability's sake (with the voice recognition, phone PTI etc.) and my system sounds worlds better than the stock system. My stereo guy told me even top brands which bid for OEM deals often equip cars with cheap speakers to cut costs. I recommend a speaker/amp upgrade. And don't forget the (also cheap) subwoofer in the lower tailgate. I changed it out as well.
  • hellpiehellpie Member Posts: 9
    justinainde,

On most speakers, the tweeters are usually the first things to go bad. This might explain why your H/K system lacks any high end; the tweeters are possibly blown. A simple test to see if this is the case: play some music through the H/K at moderate volume and then put your ear up against the tweeters to verify they are working. Hope this helps.
    My stereo system seems fine. Maybe my ears are not 'fine tuned' enough to notice the difference between my OEM unit vs. and upgrade. It sounds great to me! Actually, it seems better than the Mercedes ML500 that I traded in.

I have really cranked up the stereo in the Land Rover and I'm very pleased with it.

One thing I've noticed "after" I bought the LR3, is that the bottom of the tailgate has a different finish on it compared to the flip-up part. It's only noticeable at night when headlights are shining on it. The bottom part has more of a dimpled finish.

For those of you who have a Black LR3, if you don't mind taking a look at night and see if your finish is slightly different between the top and bottom pieces, I would appreciate it. Maybe mine was repainted but it only had 11 miles on it when I bought it.

Also, I think 99.9% people would not notice the small difference, I'm very picky. :surprise:

-mark156 :)
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    Land Rover paint is far from perfect. I assume you are probably talking about a slight orange peel effect. And you'll notice everything with black paint. It happens. Anyway, it probably wasn't repainted. A repaint job can exceed factory... unless the paint shop is garbage. Times have changed.
    I appreciate the info and will look at having that done in April. The subwoofer, however, seems to be working all too well. With the bass and subwoofer settings at their minimums, I still experience far more bass at higher volumes than I'd like. It's definitely enough to shake the windows of others vehicles on the road and alert my neighbors that I've entered the development. Is this a sign of a cheap sub or will I just need to turn the volume down when I come upon a red light....
    The tweeters are working. Thanks hellpie!
    justinainde, you might have a real problem. I'd suggest you visit a dealer and listen to another SE trim LR3 (the HSE is different) and compare the sound. There have been cases where the amplifier/entertainment system was misprogrammed.

Personally, I find both the HSE and SE stereo system lacking... decent for most stock vehicles, though.
  • wilcoxbellswilcoxbells Member Posts: 3
    Hi John,
    Are you using the Multi-Connector port or the headphone jack to the AUX input? Also, what kind of cable are you using? This sounds like a great reason to trade the blackberry in for a Treo. Thanks, Katie
  • bmk007bmk007 Member Posts: 27
    The amber Suspension Fault light came on tday in my leased 2005 LR3. I have 4100 miles on the vehicle. It was at LR last week for it's 6 month maintenance. On the computer screen it flashes "SUSPENSION FAULT".

Has anyone experienced this? I need to use the vehicle this weekend for a good 50 miles or so. Am I foolish to do so without getting it checked first? I would prefer to wait until Monday as I dont have access to another vehicle.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
  • johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    Hi
    I use the headphone jack. Buy the special plug adapter from Treo which has low impedence. The voice control on the Treo700W is impressive! Even through a bluetooth headset!
    Its probably nothing. Is the amber suspension warning light on in the dash cluster? And if it is is it just on or is it flashing? Amber is probably not a bad thing, amber flashing could be bad and red is bad so call your dealer if it is red.
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, the amber suspension warning light is on. It is not red nor is it flashing. The words "SUSPENSION FAULT" do flash on dash screen though.
    Couple of more questions.

Was the car sitting for a while before the suspension fault came on?

Did the suspension fault come on shortly after starting the vehicle?

Sometimes a low voltage situation will generate a suspension fault. So if the fault popped up soon after starting a cold car that had sat for a while that might be the problem.
    The car was parked for about 90 minutes since it's last ride this morning. I drove it at 10am. At 11:30am, I went out again, and the suspension fault warning came on when I started driving.

I have been on 3 short trips this afternoon. The suspension warning light does not come on until about 1-2 miles into the trip.
  • augustaraugustar Member Posts: 1
    We plan to buy a 2006 LR3 V6. My concern is whether I can safely anchore a car seat in the 3rd row seat. Please tell me how. The car seat is for my 2-yr old. The guy from the dealer didn't recommend putting a car seat in the 3rd row since it doesn't have the LATCH. I would greatly appreciate if anyone out there can enlighten me. Thanks in advance.
  • wilcoxbellswilcoxbells Member Posts: 3
    this solution rocks! i picked up a $3 3.5mm-to-2.5mm adapter at radio shack and borrowed a 700W to test. so far so good.
    until there are some better reasons to mess with bluetooth, compatible phone to AUX input makes a lot more sense for 2005 owners.
    john, have you noted any serious glitches? sounds like owners with the rover retrofit have a hard time with call waiting; is this also the case with the AUX solution?
    what about other phones? i tried this first with a 7250 blackberry on sprint, and it was awful. but the 7250 really isn't much of a phone.
    any other successful AUX off-label uses? video?
    thank you for this tip!
    Hmhh if it is coming on over and over even after the car shuts off then it could be a real problem and not just a glitch in the system. If you can let the car sit long enough, about two hours at least, for it to cool off so the system can do a drive cycle. I am not sure if a drive cycle will have anything to do with the suspension light but it is worth a try.

You are probably going to have to give the dealer a call so they can at least put a computer to it and talk to the car.
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    Hi British Rover,
    Say I put on 4 new tires that are slightly larger than stock (1.4 inches larger diameter or about 5 percent).

Then if I have a flat tire and put on the full size spare of the original size, I will have 3 tires of one size and 1 tire a little smaller.

What will this do to the traction control system? It will think the smaller spare tire is slipping because it will be spinning faster. So will it try to brake that wheel? It would be unsuccessful so will it then overheat the system or will it shut itself off before damaging anything? Could I use the terrain response system to select sand or mud and ruts (not sure which one) to let the system allow wheel spin/slippage?

The ideal solution is to have a larger spare tire, but it is a tight fit in the carrier (it might fit if I air it down slightly).

This would be a similar situation to having 4 worn out tires, having a flat, and putting on 1 new spare tire. Then the 3 worn tires would be spinning faster.

Do you know how much speed differential or percentage will kick in the traction control system in normal terrain response mode? If it is more than 5 percent or is based on a set mile/hour level, then maybe it won't kick in and be a problem. For example at 60 MPH, the smaller wheel would only be at 63 MPH. If it kicked in at 3 MPH differential, I could just keep the speed under 60 until the tire was repaired.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    lr3maybe, I certainly don't know the answer to your question, why not get exactly the same size wheel that is already on the LR3?

I've always heard that larger tire/wheel will cause the speedometer to be off. I like everything to be accurate so I would keep everything "factory spec'd".

-mark156 :D
    You know I am just not sure and that is a very good question. I am going to have to ask one of our techs to see what he thinks. My gut feeling is that putting a tire that much smaller on a vehicle with permenant four wheel drive is just not a good idea but I am not sure.
  • flownerflowner Member Posts: 42
    I've had two LR3s and 05SE7 and 06HSE7. and have hand many suspension faults with both. And so far they have all been related to the compressor overheating or not being able to achieve the correct pressure.

It looks as if the newer compressors don't burn out as easily. but still need to be replaced. When the compressor due burn out you sit in access more and the vehicle will drive as if it has worn struts. You bounce every time you hit a bump.
  • johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    I have a 2GB storage card in mine with a few videos and about 40 albums in MP3 format.
    The thing you may like is the voice command cheat sheet. I sent this to British Rover.
    Send me your email by PM and I'll send it to you!

No glitches with the phone. Need to do a soft reset every once in awhile.

I have set mine up for Verizon wireless synch to my office puter so my emails on 3 accounts are "pushed" through to me as they come in!

There are several good 700W forums I'll send you!
  • philaphila Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up my new Lr3 HSE, and so far I love it. I had a Toyota Highlander hybrid that just felt all wrong, and after 8 months I had to make the change. The lr3 feels right. I just have one question so far. Is it possible to lock the key fob in the car? And if it is, is it possible to get a spare key just for the door that can be hidden in a magnet box somewhere under the car? As you may be able to guess, I've locked my keys in the car a couple of times before..... or so.
    phila, as you know, there is no "visible" key hole on the LR3. The only key hole is behind a plastic cover on the drivers door that has to be pried off with the LR3 key. In this case, you would only do this if the battery in the key-fob has gone dead.

I'm not sure how you would lock the keys in the LR3 as the automatic lock switch is on the dash and it would be very difficult to accidently bump it. As I see it, you have to have the key-fob in your hand to lock the car.

The only time I locked keys in a car was when I had a rental Lincoln and I stopped for gas. My Mom was with me and when I went in to pay, she gotten out of the car to go to the ladies room and hit the automatic locks when she got out. I left the keys in the car in case she wanted to put her window down or listen to the radio (she didn't realize it when she got out) :blush: We had to call a locksmith to unlock it and I think he only charged $25 which was very fair. :surprise:

So, unless I'm missing something, I don't think you could lock yourself out. And, if you wanted to leave a key somewhere on the LR3, it would be with the key-fob as I don't have just a regular key.

-mark156 :D
  • roverdawgroverdawg Member Posts: 30
    I've read on one of the UK sites that there is a tech bulletin and software update for the suspension system (as of late February '06). Unfortunately, I do not have a subscription to the Land Rover GTR website. Does anyone know if this update will address the hundreds of suspension faults that I've rec'd? The compressor was already replaced to no avail....
  • teldocteldoc Member Posts: 49
    We've had our 2005 SE for 16 months and it's been great. 20,000 trouble-free miles.

Until now.....I've just noticed the far inside tread of driver's side rear tire is worn down below the rubber. Bands of material are showing from under the rubber! The tire seams to be tilted towards the inner tread. The rest of the tread looks normal, but the inner most tread is roached.

Couple questions: Is Land Rover's scheduled maintenance supposed to rotate the tires (I don't think they did) and will an issue like this be covered under warranty? Something in the suspension is obviously causing this unusual wear.

Anyone have any inight?
    Tire rotations are not listed under scheduled maintenance. I'm not even sure if Land Rover recommends it.

You probably have an alignment issue... but since you waited so long, I have no idea if it'll be a Land Rover warranty issue. I don't think most manufacturers "guarantee" wheel alignment beyond the first thousand miles... only that it should be aligned correctly on delivery to you.

Even if it was covered, the tires would probably be pro-rated. If you have any band showing... it's time to get new tires. :(
    I have had wear problems with both my LR3s. Land Rover has been prorating the tires. I noticed it at 11k on my 05 LR3 SE7. They wanted $300 to replace all 4 tires. On my 06 LR3 HSE I caught it at about 6k and no charge.

I've read that people who have had the tires replaced under warranty have not had the problem reoccur

Also note that this is not the first Land Rover to have tire wear issues. I caught a tread on the Ranger Rovers. They were also having inside wear. When the owner switch to Michelin it fixed the problem.
    In a nut shell this it what is says. Update software to WDS13. Replace compressor and make sure you are using correct compressor, part # RQG500090. This compressor has a stronger exhaust value return spring.

The compressors are failing due to an internal leak cause by the value sticking.

I paid for the subscription for one day $20. Also note you can save the Tech bulletin to your disk drive