Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• teldocteldoc Member Posts: 49
    Habitat1, you sound like a perfect lease customer. Why buy the entire pizza when you're only hungrey for 3 slices?
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    Quote: "It is dead last in terms of resale value of any vehicle we have even remotely considered and is worse, in fact, than Isuzu."

With the LR3 only being available for less than 60 days, I don't think you can say this. LR3 is not the old Discovery.

Quote: "The Bluetooth and Nav system will be tweaked to integrate better."

Doubtful. Land Rover tells me there are no plans anytime soon to make PTI/Bluetooth depend on the (optional) Navigation system touchscreen. It will continue to integrate with the radio head unit controls... which, unlike Navigation, is not optional. I guess the only people that will be happy are the people that want the much-delayed PTI without paying for Navigation. ;)
  • ypshanypshan Member Posts: 103
    Any first year production car will have more bugs. Some can be fix by warranty work some won't.

Resale value of LR3 could be better than the rest of the Land Rovers (we will see). However, to expect it to significantly jump ahead of other established brands is probably wishful. It didn't seem to happen often in the auto industry. And it's not likely to happen to LR3 due to the segment it's in with lots of competition and it's price point.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Habitat1, sorry, them rotors ain't polishable! I have yet to see any dealership in the last ten years who didn't claim that the light weight rotors used these days are not resurfacable and so, "regrettably, you need to buy 4 new rotors." If you push and ask for the exact specifications they are referring to, they can't or won't release them to you (I can read a micrometer better than a Service Writer).

I think that $1000 for a full brake job (new discs, new rotors, a new line or two, etc.) is below market. Our Volvo XC just cost us $1100. So, if your new LR3 doing commuter duty is going to have three brake jobs in 40K, you are on the hook for about $3600. That amount by the way is probably what you would save on a new one if you wait until after the first of the year and the Section 179 buyers and the "early adopters" (my father would have used a different term for this unappealing crew) have bought their units at full list price.

IMHO the only way around this is to be able to plan ahead, order, and stock a complete set of aftermarket rotors and pads to be brought to an independent when the brakes begin to go. Kind of like buying 10 cases of Red Line ATF to get the free freight from CA. (OK, I'll admit it, I'm compulsive about maintenance and a sucker for "free freight with a stock order".)
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Just curious how many customers are shocked to see a 10k increase not including options.Its not the only Model the revised Audi A6 did the same thing. I think its fair to say the 30k ish range is kind of the threshold for a lot of buyers to spend on a vehicle regardless of income.Especially vehicles that have had a history of poor depreciation.

Just some ramblings,

DL
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Never leased because I do tend to keep my vehicles 8+ years and 100k+ miles. My point was that if things don't work out with the LR3 and I decide I want to sell before the expiration of the warranty period, the depreciation hit after 2-3-4 years is likely to be considerably higher than with a GX470, MDX or XC90.

I would like to think the LR3 is the exception to the Land Rover rule of high depreciation, but even my friend who is on his fourth RR in 12 years would bet against it, particularly at the near MSRP prices everyone is currently payong. He thrives on buying 1-2 year old Range Rovers for $20-$30k under the new price. His take is that Land Rover, not being a "mainstream" premium brand like Lexus, Acura, Mercedes, has more of a "cult" following, When they decide to sell, they have a much more limited market of prospective buyers, most of whom are conditioned to seeking significant discounts.

Again, just to be clear, I am impressed with the LR3 and think if I was 95% confident that it didn't have first year bugs and was going to break the "poor" reliability rating of Consumer Reports and JD Powers, I'd go for it.
    habitat1,

One of the reasons that's going to make the LR3 resale worse is its service cost.

People buy used vehicles for the lower prices. However, the service cost will not reduce with time. A brake job is still $1000+ whether you buy a new LR3 at ~$50K or a used one at $25K. Since LL is not a volume brand, there will be fewer non-dealership shops that you can find to give you a lower labor rate and fewer parts suppliers to get parts that don't carry the dealer markups.

So between a used Lexus that doesn't need the brake jobs and a used LR3 that will need it and some more, if you live on a budget, which one would you go for?

The saving grace may be that the market already figured this out by then so a used LR3 is cheaper than a used Lexus.

Well, that's fair for the used car buyers. But it makes those who buy LR3 new.....(well I am not going to say it).
  • kscctsksccts Member Posts: 140
    Yeesh! $1000 for a brake job! I have a 2001 Discovery and just changed my front pads myself for a total of $90. Easy job! Now obviously if the rotors had needed work then it would have been more but you have to be crazy to pay $1000 for a brake job. If people pay it then they will keep on charging it!

Also, this was the first time I have changed my pads and my truck has 50,000 miles on it. I am not sure how people need 3 sets of pads in 50,000 miles but I don't think I would want to ride with them!
  • xiaodongxiaodong Member Posts: 39
    The ute arrived last week with almost all factory installed options, more than two months after deposit. Parts for some of dealer installed options such as wood panels are on back-orders.

Looks quite nice and treads very well on very winding and hilly local roads. Tried to cheat the the nav with some treacherous local roads, but to no avail. The nav adapts to driver's ruling of actual route quite adeptly.

It's been quite a change for wife from Odessey and she found the process adapting to this ute has so far been straightforward and pleasant.

All comments and feedbacks from wife and kids are positive so far.

Will take the ute for a trip to Florida shortly and will have more feedback in the new year.
  • peter4peter4 Member Posts: 3
    Took delivery of a HSE (silver with alpaca) on Friday last week and drove over to Belgium from the UK for the weekend. The car is very smooth on the road with almost no engine noise. The HIFI is excellent. Sat nav worked fine and was very useful in a foreign country. On one outing we had two baby car seats in the third row with four adults and it worked out great. Still managed to fit two prams in the limited boot space.

I have tested a demo model off-road with the Range Rover and the Defender and the LR3 is far better.

The centre console fridge also works well although it only takes cans so I have ordered the extra cool box fridge. Apparently it plugs into the mains as well as the car.

You do see the heat pack wires on the front windscreen when you make an effort to focus but they are not a distraction.

Had the wood trim on order but have now cancelled, the clean lines on the car would be spoilt………….personal choice.
  • toddetodde Member Posts: 10
    The dealership installed mine, but it will be located behind a detachable plastic plate on the bumper above the tow hitch. The wiring receiver has both the 8 prong U-Haul type harness and the larger electric brake type.

Todd
  • smarticussmarticus Member Posts: 37
    4 weeks into LR3 (aka Discovery 3) ownership and 3,000 miles under the tyres. She hasn't missed a beat, has loosened up beautifully and is a joy to drive. She has taken me and the family up hill and down dale and thrived on every mile covered. Highlights so far have been:

1. We crossed Hardknott pass in major ice conditions (we were pretty stupid to have even tried). The road was blocked by an old model Range Rover, which we yanked out of the way (there was no way we were going to turn around and drive back down the iced up slope we had just climbed).

2. In a moment of unhealthy bravado returning home from a weekend away, I turned down a really knarly green lane (it was late at night, dark, sleeting and I had wife and kids on board). Very soon regreted this move as the lane turned into a horrible washed out hole. Tried to reverse back to tarmac but couldn't. Faced with 2 mile walk in freezing dark to unhappy farmer (and with fuming wife and child)but instead twiddled terrain response to "mud", switched in low box, and she leaped out of the hole backwards and flew majestically back up the steep muddy / icey slope to the road. I definitely owe LR for that one !

3. Took 4 kayaking friends, 5 boats and 1 mountain bike out last weekend. She swallowed us whole, transported us in great style and everyone was massively impressed.

4. In between all of the above I have been taken to work everyday in great comfort, with marvellous views of the surrounding countryside that I had forgotten existed (you dont see those views from a normal road car)and felt relaxed and ready for anything on arrival.

So all in all a wholly positive experience of this peerless motor vehicle.
  • edfrededfred Member Posts: 4
    Looking for a HSE? I drove 3 hours to see what the Adriatic Blue HSE looked like today. It didn't ring my bell. Call the Oklahoma City Dealer if interested. Good luck for those looking for an HSE. I am looking for a White HSE!
  • doctrixdoctrix Member Posts: 30
    I've been reading this forum for a few weeks and very much enjoyed all contributions.

Decided on the HSE and put a down-payment on a fully loaded one that is due 12/27... just in time for the Section 179/ accelerated depreciation deduction.

It's got tow, 3rd row, rear climate control, locking rear differential, heating package, cooling console, DVD, and (even) the adaptive headlights.

I've looked at all of the "Sect. 179 Candidates" and feel the LR3 provides the best combination of character, features, and quality. I believe it can be a vehicle one can really enjoy.

Good luck to all other HSE hunters out there...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hey Doctrix, nice meeting you in the All Member Chat tonight.

The silver exterior should be easy to keep clean.

Steve, Host
  • roverdawgroverdawg Member Posts: 30
    edfred,

Might want to check with Land Rover of Dallas as they claim to have two HSEs in stock and are rumored to be getting some more in when the next truck arrives...
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    Most of the posts regarding resales on the Discos are way overthinking the situation. Remember all of the budget leases that have been offered over the past four years to help move these dinosours? Let's see...$299-$399 a month for a SE stripper, add a few bucks for miles and options...Guess what, those returns are now (and have been) clogging the lanes of the regional auction houses. To the rate of at least one greater than demand.

As a reuslt of this......depressed resale values. It really is that simple.
    10 days into it and our love affair with the white SE7 continues to grown. Great machine.

Question: The dealer supplied us with a set of genuine Land Rover rubber floor mats and I'm wondering if anyone has experience putting the anchors in the floor. Do you just drill into the floor boards and screw the plastic piece in? The instructions that came with the mats are 100% pictures and look like the message sent aboard VOYAGER 1.
    My dealer took care of the floor mats and they installed them properly. The difference is that mine is a HSE but I can hardly see it as a reason in this context...

Worth raising the question to your dealer and ask what was the reason that was not done.
  • teamkteamk Member Posts: 8
    I hear you should be careful with installing the floor mats -- the floorboard drill holes can let water in and then you're really in for it....

My buddy's mats seem to stay pretty well without the drills -- if you have slippage, just put some velcro on the bottom of the mat rather than open a potential water-hole into your insulation....
    TeamK, thank you for the info, I was thinking about just laying them in place as well. These have got to be the densest mats in history. Too bad the LR3 doesn't come with anchors built in already.

Also, love this truck but I wonder why the key needs to be in before the power seat will move? Obviously, the designer wasn't 6 foot plus married to a smaller framed gal!
  • spiritintheskyspiritinthesky Member Posts: 207
    I don't think it is quite that "simple". We came very close to purchasing a Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4 years ago. Elected to go with a Lexus LX470 instead, based upon my wife's preferences. We are now looking to trade for a sedan, now that our kids are not chauffer dependent. Want to take a guess as to how much more the LX is worth than the Range Rover would have been? It's quite unbelievable and I've had to take a couple "I told you so's" from my wife.

I did happen to test drive an LR3 recently with my brother and was quite impressed. The third row seat especially is much better than our LX, which he is also considering buying. I would assume that, since the LR3 is about $15-20k less than the Range Rover, it will fare better in resale. Nevertheless, based upon my "near miss", I would never buy a Land Rover product that I had any notion of potentially selling in 3-4 years.

My question is related to the LR3 paint. The vehicle my brother was given was black and seemed to have a swirled, thin look. It was not as deep or rich looking as our 4 year old Lexus. Is this normal? I'd be curious as to what others think of their LR3's paint finish compared to other premium vehicles. I was not that impressed with Range Rover 4 years ago, but it was better than the LR3 given to my brother.
  • travelinmantravelinman Member Posts: 28
    Test drove it and loved it. Dropped the Pathfinder LE I had on order in favor of a loaded Gray LR3 SE (I could have waited "until April" for an HSE, but it wasn't that worth it to me). I've seen some of the posts here, and I can honestly say I don't "get" the comparison to the Explorer, except they both have a general box-on-box style. But would I ever mistake an LR3 for the Explorer? No way!

I've seen that many people are deciding between the LR3 and the Lexus GX. That wasn't even a decision for me. The Lexus doesn't have near the off-road capability, and while that is not a decision point for most people, it was for me. But if you want a Suburban hauler, the Lexus is probably the better way to go.
  • johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    Had a HSE on order for over 2 months & dealer came back with there is a major back order & you can't get the options you need.

I'm in New England, North of Boston & can travel elsewhere to spend my money!

By the time you equip a SE to where you would like to be you are the same as a HSE.

The VW Toaureg has much of the driveability but a hopeless CD Nav system.

Appreciate anyones input as to a suggested dealer to contact.

Last thing I have heard of several new LR3 owners have fuel starvation problems when tank is 1/4 full or less on an incline.

Dont tell me they still have buried the fuel pump in a shallow gas tank?
    Quote: "By the time you equip a SE to where you would like to be you are the same as a HSE."

Well, almost. In the US, it's about $1K more "fully loaded" -- which gets you the higher-wattage Stereo, Memory driver's seat/mirrors & larger Wheels. Add another $500 for Adaptive Headlights if you want it (unorderable on SE).

Other than the 3-4 "real" differences, the HSE just packages a few of the SE optional items. Unless you really, really want those 3-4 features... there is no point in hunting for an HSE.
  • discofundiscofun Member Posts: 26
    Boulders – When your LR3 would not start, did the engine turn over when you turned the ignition key or was it acting “dead” and not turning over at all?

If the engine turned over but would not start, then the fuel pump could be the culprit.

If the engine would not turn over and acted dead but the lights and radio worked, then it is electrical gremlins and the fuel pump and fuel tank replacement is a waste of time.

Hope you find some resolution.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Remind me to never let my kids go for a ride with you ("I turned down a really knarly green lane-it was late at night, dark, sleeting and I had wife and kids on board..."). No wonder the farmer would have been P. O. to have had to haul you out. While a new LR3 and a set of Wellies look nice, a little maturity and judgement here would go a long way.
  • bouldersboulders Member Posts: 18
    The engine would turn over but not start which is why yesterday the dealer replaced the fuel pump. You are right on the money!! So far no more problems!

BTW, they gave me a loaner 2004 Discovery while they worked on the LR3 and I have to say that whoever said that it felt like "a bowling ball connected to two strings" was right. Man, the differences between the LR3 and the Disco is like night and day. If anyone is thinking of buying an LR3 and is unable to schedule a test drive, don't use the old Discovery as a point of reference. I'm glad I got the chance to drive the two vehicles back to back or I could never appreciate how much better the LR3 is. Are they even made by the same company? e.g Why would anyone even think of putting window controls on the center console, of all places?
  • bouldersboulders Member Posts: 18
    Quote:"Dont tell me they still have buried the fuel pump in a shallow gas tank?"

Last I heard was that they were using the wrong pumps in some of the earlier production vehicles. I think someone said it was a pump initially designed for a diesel engine. Don't quote me on that.
  • kscctsksccts Member Posts: 140
    Not sure why Rover did it but I actually like the switches on the center console. Now when I get in other cars, I always reach over and try to find the swiches in the console. Different from other cars but actually easier once you get used to it. Plus, it allows the passenger to control the rear windows if you have kids. dogs etc in the back seat. Also, closer to yhe gear shift if you have a manuak transmission.

Rover may have put the switches in the console so they didn't have to change for left side vs right side driving countries.
  • rovernut3rovernut3 Member Posts: 11
    I was wondering about the availability of the adaptive headlights as an option in the future. The only real difference between the HSE and SE is the optional adaptive headlights. So i wonder should I get a SE and hope the headlights will be available as a dealer installed option in the future? Are the even worth it. Any help that TinCup can provide would be great. So far I have test drove the LR3 twice and am impressed.
  • gw123gw123 Member Posts: 64
    I think there are a few other differences (more powerful radio, memory seats, tilt-down rear-view mirrors when backing up, bigger tires) with the HSE.

As far as the adaptive headlights, I would suggest that the Xeon headlights in the "Light package" on the SE would be more than adequate for better visibility.

I have the "moving headlight" feature on my Lexus LS430. When the headlights turn on, there is almost a 180 degree field that is brightly lit. The "center beam" is all that moves. I believe you can see just as well even when you turn the moving beam off. Sometimes, the moving spot can be a distraction.

I would not recommend spending extra on this feature or trying to have it installed later.

Good luck. My LR3 is supposed to be in today.
  • mmac1mmac1 Member Posts: 11
    I got my LR3 last week and it is amazing. Rides great on road. Had a 2000 4runner limited. The little touches set it apart from the rest. I looked at the lexus and a couple others. But the combo on road and off road abilities blew everything away. It is a loaded se. I didn't see the value in the HSE, but everyone has different needs. I didn't get the Nav, the only thing is doesn't have. Fit and finish are great.

As for the lights, I have the Xenon and they are like the sun when the highbeams are on. Couldn't possibly see the need for the turning lights.

I also have the heated windshield. You can see the lines if you look for them.

Can't wait to get it into some mud and try it out...

I get compliments on it constantly. It really just stands out from everything else. I am still not thrilled with the look from the side, but overall it is great.

Keeping my fingers crossed....
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    There are significant differences that would make it next to impossible to offer as a accessory.
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    It is that simple...There is more than one RR than demand calls for. As a result, the only way to sell that RR is TO LOWER THE PRICE- to what the market will bear.

Flood the market with LX470's and guess what...???

In the case of the previous RR, it is not an actual "flood" (supply) of vehicles, more of a "stay away", or reduce demand to at or near zero due to quality issues etc.
  • reichowjrreichowjr Member Posts: 86
    Overall I have been completely satisfied with my LR3. It is amazing how much quieter inside the vehicle is than the Honda Pilot I was driving.

The transmission shifts seemlessly and the power from the engine is quite impressive. There is a nice exhaust note when stepping on the gas. Fuel mileage on a 150 mile drive at a steady 64 mph was 18.7 according to the computer. In town I'm getting 12.7 mpg. Has anyone checked on the accuracy of the computer?

The adaptive headlights are a nice feature but not necessary. The ride is very smooth and a very secure vault like feel. The vehicle starts to show its 5800 pounds when going into a corner. It rolls into the corners in a very predictable fashion.

I'm still going through the owners manuals and learning about the navigation system. I have three car seats that easily fit across the second row. The kids love the alpine roof. The sound system is amazing and will go as loud as most anyone could stand without distortion.

I plan on taking the vehicle in the sand on the beaches in the Wilmington, NC area and will let you know my impressions.
  • xchicagoan5xchicagoan5 Member Posts: 46
    Does anyone use the manual shift option on a regular basis? Have you seen better or worse gas mileage when using? Also, has overall gas mileage improved? If so, after how many miles?

After one week and 750 miles, LR3 is coolest and most functional SUV I've ever owned. No problems to date, not even an issue with low fuel start-up. Kids can get themselves in and out of 3rd row with ease which never happened in GX470. Also, I dropped my wife off at a Christmas party today. Two different ladies drove up in the exact same white GX470 and parked behind each other. It's nice to be different, at least for a while.
    This is not a manual transmission. Forcing shifts or using "Sport Mode" will generally decrease mileage. I can confirm this.

Letting the transmission do it's job without a heavy foot... and never carrying any passengers or load will conserve the most gas. :-)

reichowjr, all fuel computers are off. All my MPG postings were based on real physical consumption. Take the few seconds and record your real usage/mileage.
    We can hear high pitch rubbing or vibration sound when the HSE climbs up hills (slope at about 20 to 35 degrees at low speed (< 10 to 25MPH). We have this car for a little under a week, have not driven it much but wife, kids and my self all love it. However, we are concerned with this seemingly unhealthy noise. Any one experienced this?
  • jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    Just curious to know what prompts you to conclude "[t]he Lexus doesn't have near the off-road capability."
    think you are being a bit harsh saying "a little maturity and judgement here would go a long way". The lane in question would normally have been quite manageable (good bouncy fun) although recent damage to the lane (probably by a big tractor or forestry monster) plus severe weather damage, had rendered it harder than I wanted to take on in the circumstances. I have spent the last 20 years driving Landrovers offroad, although non of the dozen or so Series 2a's, Series 3's, Range Rovers, Discoveries or Defenders had the electronic and air sprung trickery of the Discovery 3. My point was that once you know how to set the Terrain Response, it can transform the vehicles offroad ability. Has anyone out there yet tested the offroad capability of the Disco 3 to its limits (or is $50k of HSE finery still a bit too young to put through the full offroad experience....?)

One last question, has anyone tried the Landrover roof rack yet. It is way too narrow and rated for a feeble amount of carrying capacity (60kgs!). Putting 4 kayaks on was a major headache (width wise) and probably exceeded the recommended weight by a factor of 3. We didn't go too far, but it seemed ok.
  • reichowjrreichowjr Member Posts: 86
    The parking distance control on my vehicle has sensors only on the rear. The owners manual (page 178) details how the front and rear sensors should operate.

I contacted my dealer who advised US spec HSE's do not come with the front sensors and the HSE on the lot does not have them either. They indicated the owners manual is in error. They also indicated their ordering book mentions only rear sensors and nothing about the front. I pushed to have him contact Land Rover NA for conclusive proof.

Does anyone have a US spec HSE with front parking sensors? Were some HSE's mistakenly built without the front sensors?
  • spiritintheskyspiritinthesky Member Posts: 207
    If your 4 kayaks weigh 180 kg's, you need to evolve to the 20th century, let alone the 21st! That's about 100 lbs each by my calculation and about 3 times what ours weighs (34 lbs). I've never heard of a kayak weighing over 45lbs and we are considering a pair of ultralights that comes in at 22 lbs each. Better check your math/wieghts.
    I was never good at translating lbs into kilos. Having said that, we do paddle Prijon Topolino's (aka "spuds") which are short but there is lots of thick hard plastic in there. Oh, and we do keep wet gear in the boat, and stand on the roof rack when loading. Probably best to stop those bad habits then.....
  • beachbumbeachbum Member Posts: 28
    Good luck getting a satisfactory answer from LR. The web site and broucher state the SE comes with 8-way power seats for the driver. The dealers also said they did. Well they do not. I contacted LRNA personally and they said they would get back to me. They did about a week later and said the web site and broucher were a "mistake". The SE's in North America were only coming with 6-way power for the driver not eight. I feel for the price it should come with the memory as well. I told him my 01 Disco had 8-way and wanted to know why a redesigned vehicle would eliminate this feature when most $25,000 cars have it. He could not give me an answer and stated it was not offered in North America. Go look at the British LR site and you will see they offer three models and the SE comes with 8-way and memory. I hate to complain about it because it is a great vehicle so far. I need the seat to rock back to get comfortable and it is a nuisance when my 5'04 wife leaves the seat up and I have to squeeze my 6'02 frame into the seat to get in or reach over after inserting the key in the ignition to move the seat back. Another feature they eliminated is not being able to move the seats after you have unlocked the door. Other things I can deal with but getting comfortable is an everyday thing.

Overall it has been a pleasure driving so far.
    If you use the remote to unlock the door, would it automatically puts the driver seat at the position associated with the remote? This way, two drivers can use the same car without any problem.

This has been around for more than 6 years, hope LR got it right.
  • beachbumbeachbum Member Posts: 28
    As far as I know, this feature only works with a vehicle that has memory seats. The SE does not have the option of memory seats. I was told at LR that the SE has this feature. They can not seem figure it out. I believe this can only be done if you have memory seats.

Does any out there know of this feature and how to engage it. I have not been able to figure it out.

Thanks
  • iceman2iceman2 Member Posts: 23
    I am trying to locate a Black/Tan HSE or SE, as loaded as possible, with rear seat package, in the next 2-3 days. I live in Florida but will travel to pick it up if necessary (need it for a birthday surprise). Has anyone seen any dealers with inventory on the lot???

Thanks in advance....
  • pitn1777pitn1777 Member Posts: 15
    This feature is not available on the SE. Only on HSE.
  • pitn1777pitn1777 Member Posts: 15
    It's a nice drive to Ft. Worth Texas. Autobahn Motorcars has a couple of SE's in Black/Tan.