Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Is this the coupon Land Rover mails out when you visit their site and request a brochure and/or fill out the survey there?

I need to add this to the Auto Parts Bargains and Coupons discussion.
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Member Posts: 2,197
    If it is a certificate mailed from Land Rover it is not transferable. The RDR name and address on the vehicle must match the coupon for the dealer to redeem the cash from Land Rover.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Some of them are transferable. At least some of the ones I have seen.
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Member Posts: 2,197
    Really - everyone I have dealt with has been transferable only within the household - not to the "general public". The fellow who sits next to me hasn't either.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I have had a few that said they were transferable to friends and business associates.

That covers just about everyone. Specificly we had a good customer of ours who had one but didn't have anyone she knew that was interested in a Land Rover. She gave it to us with her half filled out and it said it was transferable to "friends and business associates."
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    This one expressly states it is transferable. There is a place on the certificate to designate who it is transferred to. And there is a cover letter that says I can designate who I want to transfer it to.

But you are right, some certificates are not transferable.
    Where did everybody go?
    No one's posting anything.
  • ssp1ssp1 Member Posts: 115
    I heard that all LR3s are running smoothly and those that purchased other non-LR vehicles are stranded in remote off road locations and cannot get to the internet.
  • morocco2morocco2 Member Posts: 43
    I have been too busy enjoying my trouble free ownership experience :P to right. Just got back from a 1100km trip that took me off road. I went fishing with my 8 year old son and 7 others. As always my 2007 LR3 HSE continues to impress me. I used the off-road NAV for the first time. Great.

I am off to LR's Driving School in Montebello, Quebec, Canada this weekend. My wife and I are looking forward to learn more and experience first hand what the LR3 is truely capable of in more challenging off-road conditions:shades:
    I guess it's good nobody's writing - that means no complaints.

I took my LR3 on a work trip when I couldn't get a company vehicle. My wife went with me. She was very surprised when I turned off the dirt road to head down an embankment without warning. She thought I was having a seizure or something. Then, she was even more surprised when I turned off the embankment and crossed the creek. I had to cross it a few times so she could get photos and then go back and pick her up. I've crossed it before in an Expedition and dragged the bottom a bit, but it was no effort in the LR3.
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    Are the new changes for 2008 available to anyone yet? Do any of you dealers have an order sheet or anything that may show new options or perhaps a backup camera!!
    Just got back from the Land Rover off-road driving school in Montebello, Quebec :shades:

That was the most fun I have add in a long time. My wife greatly enjoyed the experience and is no longer questioning my choice of the LR3 ;)

After four hours of exciting and challenging off-road driving, I came out of it with a much better appreciation for the LR3's capabilities.

This morning I saw on TV a commercial that compares the LR3 against Hyundai's new Santa Fee :confuse:. They compare them doing slalom on a track. They would not dare to try the same stunt off road..... :P They would write-off the Hyundai in the process.

I am glad I went for the LR3 after what I saw this weekend
  • pfolkpfolk Member Posts: 70
    So tell us more about the off-road driving school!

As for the Hyundai ads: They get an A for having a good advertising agency who can help Korean carmakers with an inferiority complex. They also compared it to a BMW. What's next? "More storage capacity than a VW New Beetle?"
  • hellpiehellpie Member Posts: 9
    My LR3 recently hit 30000 miles and is running well. I purchased the car two years ago and still have the original tires on. I can get some more mileage out of the tires, but as the dealer service adviser pointed out, the passenger side front tire is exhibiting the often-talked-about uneven wear. During the life of the car, I didn't bother rotating or aligning the wheels, which is something I should have done. The tires have gotten noisier, but it is not to the point of annoying.

Last week I changed all four brake pads, which was quite a bit of work. The front calipers had rather large bolts (13/16") that must have been tightened by Hercules himself. The bolts were torqued so tight that in trying to loosen them, I broke two socket extenders and one socket wrench, which required multiple trips to the hardware store. I was finally able to devise a method to loosen the bolts and remove the calipers, but what should have been a relatively quick job turned into a lengthy ordeal.

Overall, I am very pleased with the vehicle. The LR3 is well designed and well built and has given me trouble free performance. There are some slight interior squeaks and rattles that are starting to emerge, but I believe that is normal for any car as it ages, especially one as large as the LR3. I put a couple of small dents in the roof, the area right behind the sunroof, while washing the car a few months ago. My suspicion is that the roof metal is rather thin, as I have climbed atop of many vehicles before without any denting problems.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    The front calipers had rather large bolts (13/16") that must have been tightened by Hercules himself

They may have been heavily torqued originally, though it's just as likely that a thread locking compound had been used.
    Did you check on the correct procedure for their replacement?

My suspicion is that the roof metal is rather thin, as I have climbed atop of many vehicles before without any denting problems.

I suspect that you weigh somewhat less than I do! :blush:
    Land Rover Ottawa gave me a voucher for a 4 hour session. I had to use it before the end of June. I combined it with an overnight at le Chateau Montebello for a little romantic get away from the kids. Montebello is about 65 kms from where we live.

If you are and Land Rover owner they will provide you with the same model you own. The first two hours are spend practicing different off-road driving skills and getting to know the full range of the off-road capabilities of the LR3. My wife and I use one hour each. I actually used a little less time because my wife went first and the instructor does not have to repeat everything for the second driver ;)

After completing the driving course which consist of a mixture of natural and man made obstacles designed to bring out the off-road capabilities of the LR3 we headed for the trails. The trails are located on a 65,000 acre property that belongs to Fairmont Hotels. The trails are in the mountains.

I am still amazed at what this vehicle can do :shades: I learned to brake using my left foot. The technique of using your two feet to balance braking with fwd or backward movement to keep the vehicle moving under control takes a little to get used to.

The terrain was relatively dry which made it a little easier. The LR we used was an HSE with heavy package and a winch with the standard Goodyear tires. I have some cool pictures but I am not sure how to show them here. :confuse:

I highly recommend it to any LR owners. Even if you never take your LR off-road just to know what it can do provides you a better appreciation for the LR's off-road capabilities should you find yourself in a situation where you need them.
    The easiest thing to do with your photos is to upload them to your CarSpace album. Then you can link to them or put them in a message using the handy link boxes there.
    Thank you :blush:
    I have uploaded some pictures of my off-road driving experience at

http://www.carspace.com/morocco2/Albums/morocco2's Album/Land Rover Experience 002.jpg/page/photo.html#pic :sick:

I hope this works :confuse:
    Looks good - I like the shot with the left rear wheel a few feet off the ground. :shades:
  • maytalmaytal Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

I am going on a camping trip in July and didn't want to spend the $ on a tow hitch receiver and electrics for one trip.

Does anyone know of a place that rents LR3 tow hitch receivers and the tow electrics? Anyone want to let me borrow theirs ;) I am in the LA area any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • abb2abb2 Member Posts: 1
    with the weight of the vehicle I cannot rent a typical car carrier. it is 6000 lbs and the rental companies only offer them up to 4000 lbs. ALso the tow dollys do not work per Land Rover. ANy thoughts???
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    Sorry, you'll need to find a heavy duty car trailer that can carry more than 4000 lbs. If you really can't "rent" one, you might just need to buy one and then sell it later.

If this is not an option, I guess you'll need to hire a vehicle transport service... or just have someone drive it to the destination.

Good luck.
  • pbroverpbrover Member Posts: 43
    From what I have read the LR3 wiring harness does supply 12V power correct? I have added a Prodigy brake controller and that was a snap. My trailer is configured so that if the tow vehicle supplies 12V power through the tow vehicles wiring harness then the trailers battery level can be maintained if I running the fridge on 12v power while driving. :confuse:
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    Yes, there should be a constant 12V available via the harness. I don't see a problem.
  • zoeyjrtzoeyjrt Member Posts: 6
    Have 43k miles on our SE. Nearing the end of our 2nd set of Goodyears. I just think that rubber is soft and am going to try another brand next go 'round.

Question: When you rotate these tires, do you suggest swapping front and back on the same size? Or criss crossing LRear to RFront and RRear to Lfront?

Any ideas?
  • maytalmaytal Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone tried a roof bag before?

I was thinking of putting one of these on top of my LR3 for camping.

http://www.roofbag.com/

Suggestions would be appreciated!
    Am curious: What kind of driving do you do to go through tires like that? What is the mix of on/off road?

As for the rotation, check this article:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=43&currentpage=38
    Just my input. My goodyears - rear - wore down to legally bald at just shy of 18000 miles. I spoke with tire people (couple different tire shops) and they said that if I had rotated them every 5k (i did that once at 7.5K) then i might have gotten to 25K max. I drove on a long dirt/rock and rutted road once a week during that period (less than one year and probably a grand total of 250 off road miles)
  • macc24macc24 Member Posts: 20
    Maytal,

I used one, I believe it was Thule, from Fairbanks, Ak to Seattle, WA. It worked pretty well and was easy to access, a little shifting from side to side but nothing dangerous.

I'd say go for it...we also had a rack on the back that attached to the tow hitch. Gets in the way of loading unloading from the rear a little.

Cheers,

macc24
    I replaced my wiper blades with PIAA Super Silicon blades. When off, the wipers did not fully conform to my windshield, in fact, even the drivers side had a couple inches of the end of the blade that wasn't touching the glass.

I removed those blades and bought Valeo brand from tirerack.com. See this link:
    http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/valeo/ultimate.jsp

These blades look similar to the factory type but are not exactly the same - the center section is plastic where the Land Rover piece is metal I think. Anyway, they fit and work perfectly.

They are on sale for buy one and get one free so 2 blades cost $20 plus shipping.
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    I just did another 1500 mile trip to New Mexico and the LR3 HSE performed as usual - perfectly ! I'm at 25,000 miles and my tires are 60% evenly worn. My MPG on the way out, going from 700 ft. to 6800 ft. was 21, the return trip gave 23 mpg with the A/C on. The performance off-road was perfect and uneventful. I have had NO problems at all since new two years ago!! No "whaaaa" from this owner.
    Good for you! Thanks for sharing the good news.

When off-road, did you reduce tire pressure by 5-10 PSI? If so, did you notice a difference in handling or traction?
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    Hello "pfolk". No, I have never reduced tire pressures while off-road but then I'm only running 33 / 36 psi in the LR3 and have never had a problem. I don't much like the 19" wheels & tires on the HSE and I'm afraid if I lowered my pressures I would pinch the sidewalls or scrape the wheels like I have in the past on other vehicles. Most of my off-
    roading is in New Mexico & Colorado with rocks and just a little sand and standard pressures seem just fine.

If I were to go to the sand dunes, I would drop PSI about 10 pounds. Also, my dealer has a habit of pumping up the tires to 36 and 46 which makes the thing ride as if on solid rubber tires so after every service I make sure I check and drop the pressures.

I have also been told that the "tire wear issue" with the LR3 is only with the non-19 inch tires which seems true given my experience. I also rotate every 7.5K and have had good tire wear although they are getting noisy and they are not worth the crap in mud.

Good luck and happy rovering !!
    Has anyone opined on what the best tires are for an LR3? I realize that off road versus on road is the first question. So for each what is recommended or for on road and 20% off road use?

I plan on getting another LR3 when my lease expires in early 08 and i want to sort this out

Thanks in advance for any advice
    Agree with your sentiments on the 19's. Unfortunately they are standard in HSE trim. Otherwise I would have gone with a smaller wheel for the same reason you would; don't want to kerb them in town. Your post is the first I have seen that claims of excessive tire wear were primarly with smaller diameter wheels.

I wouldn't worry about lowering the pressure if you need to. I was told it gives you a little more flex in the sidewalls so that you maintain grip on uneven terrain and makes sidewalls slightly less susceptible to cuts if you catch a rock or rough edge. I believe it, and I haven't had to walk home yet!

Interesting also that your dealer overinflates. I mentioned before that my LR3 came from the factory with too much air in the tires. I'll stick with the recommendation on the door pillar sticker.
    I found several rave reviews for the Michelin Synchrones. Check www.tirerack.com.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Koesler, I have 15,000 miles on my 2006 LR3 HSE... and my tires are also wearing evenly as far as I can tell. They are getting more noisy than when they were new.

I had to have my rear-view mirror replaced as the black coating on the garage buttons started to flake off. Land Rover put on a whole new style mirror with the buttons on the bottom which I like better.

I have never gotten the gas mileage that you have. I get 11-11.5 mpg's in the city and about 19 on the road.

So far with a year and half of ownership, I'm very pleased with my LR3. :D

Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    I did too but I dont think they have a size for the standard SE wheel (18 inch?)
  • homestarmanhomestarman Member Posts: 17
    Hello there, I am wondering about the Michelin Synchrones, as Michelin lists the Synchrones as meant for model 2005 HSE LR3s ONLY. Is it ok to use them from LR3 models 2007-2008?

EDIT:I have recently found out that all 08' LR3 HSE models have wood trim! :D
    I think thats correct. i tried to replace the OE with Synchrones and there was not a size for the regular SE wheel
  • gordongeckogordongecko Member Posts: 4
    My 2005 HSE has about 30,000 miles w/original tires. I'm looking for new, beefier tires for off road. The 19" seems to be limited in choices. I've considered trading for 18" to get a bigger tire.

Any ideas?
    What kind of off-road driving do you do? A "beefier" tire sounds like a snow/mud tire. If you don't do a lot of driving in those conditions, you are going to get a lot more tire noise during your on-road driving with not much off-road benefit. I wouldn't do that.

If your off-road driving is mostly on unpaved forest roads, most any good A/T tire should do it and will give you a reasonably quiet ride on-road. Pirellis are also a good tire to consider, although the Synchrones have had good reviews too.

The 19's are clearly a fad. If I could have ordered my HSE without them, I would have. The 18's should give you better ride comfort and may open up more options for you in off-road tires.
    I think the syncrhones fit your size but not the 18'
    thats been the recommended alternative and per pfolk i agree-unless you are competing off road the syncrhones will do the trick. i have michelin all weather tour tires (didnt want them but thats what LR replaced my GY with re the tire wear issue). And they have been fine in rocky, muddy and dirt forest roads, plus the ride is noiseless
  • gordongeckogordongecko Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the replies pfolk and ssp1.

I don't plan on a monster truck ralley, but I don't like the look or performance of the stock low profile tires. I live in Colorado and do go off road, sometimes more than forest service road.

I think I just want tires that are not low profile, I think I'll check around some tire shops here to see what they recommend. I just haven't been able to find anything on the internet, all the tire sites recommend the same tire/size I have. The Synchrones sound like they may work, maybe I need a different size tire?

Thanks again,
    Steve
    See if you can find an independant land rover service center near by and ask their advice. I went through the same question and issue you were facing regarding new tires.

I asked literally a dozen people who know tires from land rover people to tire people. From personal experience and what i was told: The synchrones may be very similar to the original equipment size and performance. I think they will wear better and they will stay quieter. Most of the guys i talked to said without a doubt they are better quality than the GY wranglers. But they would not necessarily improve off road performance. For off road performance I was told the Nitto Grapplers and the BF Goodrich All Terrain TA/KO were both great tires. I dont know if they come in the right size for the HSE. There will be increase noise but perhaps you willget some comfort from the fact that the noise comes with the better off road performance, there will be some piece of mind. All web sites and tire people start with the "recommended size." some tire stores will only put on the factory recommended size due to liability issues (whatever those are). I was advised to go to an independant tire shop. But that said I just had BF goodrich's installed on my 95 RR classic in a size larger than the recommended specs.

I am certainly not a tire expert but usually someone at an independant shop for Land rovers has good experience in this area. There is a guy named Ed Tassel (sp?) at Land Rover Mission Viejo who knows tires well or in CO http://www.jcrover4x4.com/ or someone here may know http://www.solihullsociety.org/about-us/

Please post what you find out if you dont mind.
    I'm in Lakewood Steve. I changed out my 18 inch tires for the Nitto Terra Grappler's that are 1.4 inches bigger diameter. I kept a stock size spare because the Nittos would be tight fit. I tested running 3 Nittos and a stock tire to see if it would be a problem having the different size tires on if I got a flat and had no problem. Let me know if you want more info. The Nittos are slightly noisier on pavement than the stock tire but look good and have worked well in the snow and off road (much more than forrest roads).
    Can i ask what you paid for the set of 4 Nittos? How noticeable is the noise? SOme of these tires - the noise is so constant its not a big deal. Versus the noise from improper tire wear that has resulted with the GYs
  • marignolomarignolo Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone , i'm quite please to join this forum. Had a 2007 LR3 v6 for a month and i'm quite satisfied so far...
    After a few highway trips, I have noticed that already the hood letters start to have small black dots, just like if the paint was coming off on impact of some kind (bugs or small rocks), Does anyone have an idea if there is touch up paint for that and also the paint number ? My LR3 is buckingham blue

TKS
  • jjgghhjjgghh Member Posts: 13
    This may be a loaded topic on a board with so many LR3 reliability complaints (I've had one of my own -- suspension error at 9K miles, about which I was quite unhappy, but it was fixed the first time and did not recur), but I've come to really like this vehicle and am considering purchasing an extended warranty to take me out to 80K miles or so. I now have 33K on 2005 LR3. Does anyone have experience with the extended warranty program -- is it worthwhile? Thanks.