Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    Can anyone point me to a link that tells how to adjust headlight aim. I have the bi-xenons but not the adaptive kind (they don't steer around curves).
    Thanks
  • pfolkpfolk Member Posts: 70
    This is a task better left to professional mechanics. There are serious safety issues associated with the aiming of these bi-xenons lamps. You don't want to blind oncoming drivers with a mis-aimed lamp.

Also, the lamp itself operates at high voltage and presents a shock hazard, and they are very expensive to replace if damaged.
  • derrickh22derrickh22 Member Posts: 4
    I am interested in a 2006 LR3 SE. Before I start a serious search, I would like to know if the following functions are available on the car:

1. Rain sensing wiper
    2. Right mirror tilt down when back up
    3. Reclining 2nd row seats
    4. Lumbar support on driver seat
    5. Auto up/down power windows
    6. 8 way front seats
    7. Home link system

I would REALLY appreaciate if any 2006 SE owner can answer the above questions. Thank you!
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Member Posts: 2,197
    On a HSE all but #3 are available. I suggest you drive one, that is a unique and fun expirience.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I don't think Lumbar support is available on a 2006 LR3. I think you need to get either a 2005 or a 2007 and up.
    My mistake - I was thinking 08. ICan you remember if Rain sensing wipers were on the 06 - it escapes me.
    Rain sensing was part of the lighting package I think and was available on 2005 and 2006 LR3s.
  • derrickh22derrickh22 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for all the help. Yes, I test drove one and it is a great truck! The reason I'm thinking 2006 is to take advantage of the steep depreciation while getting a relatively new model...

So I gathered that only lumbar support and reclining 2nd row seats are unavailable. All other items (auto windows, tilt-down mirror, 8-way seats, homelink, rain-sensing wiper) are equipped on an SE (I can't find an HSE!). Is that correct?

Also, does anybody have experience with wood dashboard accessories? I thought the interior looks dull with wood. Does the wood kit look "natural"? Would you recommend getting it from the dealer (expensive!) or from resellers (cheap but self-installed)?

Thanks again!
    The tilt down mirrors were only available on HSE LR3s as they are tied into the memory seats which are only available on HSE LR3s.

I can't remember if 8 Way seats are on the SEs by 2006. I have a 2006 SE around here some where I will check for you later.
  • ssp1ssp1 Member Posts: 115
    I have an 06 LR3 and i dont think it has 8 way - 6 way on the driver only but maybe i cant count. it has whatever the best had for 06.

on the wood thing, i wonder if the wood package on the 08 models are better--the "facia" kit looks cheap and is. i looked at an LR3 with that kit when i was getting mine and i could take off the wood face plate with ease. something factory installed will look better
    They redesigned the dealer installed KIT wood fascia in late 2006 so it is better then the old version. The factory wood available on 2008 LR3 HSE does look much better as it is similar to the wood in the 2008 Full size Range Rovers.

Land Rovers have never been much for highly polished wood though so it most of the wood interior in Land Rovers have a matte finish.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I have the wood package on my LR3 that was an after market addition. When I bought my LR3 in Dec. of '05, Land Rover stopped the factory wood because of a problem of some sort. So, my salesman found another supplier that had a very nice selection of wood. I'm very pleased with the quality and look. It's a walnut color with a fairly high gloss.... looks similar to the wood that I have had on several Mercedes vehicles I've owned.

I had my passenger side brake light go out and I now realize that the LR3 does not let you know that you have a light failure. A friend of mine following me told me about the light being out. I tried to change it myself but couldn't get the lense open after following the directions from the manual. So, I called the dealer and they said that light bulbs were covered under warranty so took it to them for replacement. They changed the bulb in no time and I was on my way.

I wish I had watched them open up the rear lense for future reference.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • discomandiscoman Member Posts: 110
    I was wondering... I just upgraded from a 96 Disco to an '05 LR3 SE. I had thought the LR3 would get better gas mileage, but my wife says it's worse than before with the Disco. She drives mainly around town, While I usually am on the freeways. I get around 15-16 MPG with my 03 Expedition EB While she appears to be getting considerably worse with her LR3 SE. What gives?
    Discoman.... I get around 11.5 in the city and 18 on the hwy. I have 17,200 miles on my 2006 LR3 and it is still getting the same when it was new. It doesn't matter if I drive it easy or rough, it gets the same MPG's. My twin brother has an '03 Disco and he says the same thing.. same mileage fast or slow. :sick:

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Is she using regular or premium fuel? The old series I discos weren't as sensitive to lower octane fuel as the later Discos and LR3s are.

If she is using premium fuel and still have problems call up your local Land Rover dealer and set up an appointment for them to check the software on the LR3. Just ask them to upload whatever the latest software patches are and maybe wipe out the adaptive transmission settings so the car can learn your wife's driving style more quickly.
    You must have lead feet if you're getting that kind of mileage. While the LR3 is not going to get any awards from the EPA, you can average 16.2 to 16.4 MPG in mixed driving if you don't try to floor the accelerator leaving stop lights. My commutes in an 07 LR3 here in AZ are a mix of urban freeways and traffic-clogged city streets. I have stayed in this range from day one by being conscious of my driving style. I'm not creeping along either. I stay with traffic- while letting everyone who's in a hurry rocket to the next redlight - and cruise at 65-70 on the freeways.

Try to keep revs under 2000 - 2200 before the transmission shifts up. It makes a big difference in mileage. If you use "sport" mode or consistently run the engine up to the 3000-4000 RPM range, you will see your mileage quickly drop into the 14- 15 MPG range, or worse.

Another tip is to shut off the engine when you're waiting in line at the car wash or other places that you have to wait in line. Restarting it to move up burns less fuel than letting it idle in line. (You can still hum along with the BeeGee's on the radio while you're waiting.)

Good luck!
  • discomandiscoman Member Posts: 110
    Thanks for the inputs. Here are my replies. Yes, she is using premium fuel. We got used to that one in the Disco. Believe it or not, it did make a difference then(Believe me that disco was bullet proof, she actually cried to see it go). I am the one with the lead foot, but she is easier on the gas pedal than I am, and yet, habitually I get better gas mileage (no matter what vehicle I drive) than she does driving the same vehicle. I normally get 15-16 in my Expedition, while she gets 12 driving the same one. Same-Same with our old Disco. She would get around 12 while I would get 15 with my lead foot. I know she has to take it in next week because it is a certified vehicle, and we noticed it pulls to the right, so they are going to do an alignment at the same time, i will tell her to ask them to upload any software patches and wipe the transmission settings(although I would think it would have been done as part of the certification process, they may not have done it). She never uses the Sport mode on the tranny, that is something I would do, but not her. Does anyone know where I can get the CD with updated maps for the Navigation system? I know mine can't find my house because it says the address doesn't exist (it didn't 2 years ago). Also I have been reading about the problems with tire wear on the 05's. Is there a better tire I can get put on that will last longer?
    Pfolk, I absolutely do not have a lead foot. My brothers and sisters joke with me because I drive so slow and easy. It really doesn't seem to matter how I drive, my mileage always seems the same. I keep the front tires at 33 lbs and rear at 42 lbs. (as stated on the driver's door sticker). I have never gotten 16 mpgs city/hwy. If I add a little hwy into my route, I might go up to 15, maybe. I have gotten 19 mpg once on a very flat interstate through Texas.

My LR3 is a awesome vehicle, it would be nice if the mileage was better.

Mark156
    I'm driving the LR3 from California to Tennessee.

Today, I drove 346.5 miles at 70 mph in California (130 miles) and 75 mph in Arizona (216.5 miles).... averaged 17.17 mpgs with my first fill-up. :blush:

Mark :D
  • marignolomarignolo Member Posts: 2
    I have owned my LR3 since mid july and until lately everything went flawless...Here in Quebec City temperatures are now in the 5° F (-15°C) and I start to get error codes. When I started it the center display was saying there is a transmission fault, so I shut the engine down and restarted it and the problem seems to go away but with a check engine light on...today I had the same code for the transmission. But there is also the fuel consumption that is now way worst then it was before. I am now getting less than 12 mpgs when before I was getting on average 14.5 mpgs, is the cold temperature affecting that much the consumption? I drive this car smoothly so try to avoid revving the engine above 2000 rpm in the city... :confuse:
  • morocco2morocco2 Member Posts: 43
    Hi marignolo!

I live in Ottawa and my 2007 LR3 HSE is now entering its second winter with no such trouble. I have a garage and I park it outside most of the time. Full comsumption does suffer in winter. Once snow is on the ground I tend to leave the terrain response setting to Gravel, Snow setting unless the pavement is dry. This does affect the consumption. At normal setting there is also an increase in consumption in the 10% range in my experience. During cold starts I normally wait until the system check is complete before starting the engine. I hope this helps ;)
    Well, it doesn't get quite that cold in California so I have not had any fault codes.

I'm amazed at how smooth this vehicle runs.... I drove over 500 miles today and I don't really feel that tired. I finally made it to Texas and got 17.7 mpgs on second tank.

Off to Dallas tomorrow with a 400 mile drive. FUN! ;)

Mark
    I am now finished with my cross country trip. These are the stats....

Distance: 1,843.5 miles

Gas used: 104.253 gallons

MPG avg: 17.68 mpg

Fuel cost: $323.71 average of $3.105 a gallon for premium.

I drove the speed limit in every state which fluctuated from 65-80. I noticed that when I put in higher octane premium, the mileage was a little better.

California, Arizona and New Mexico have 91 octane for premium, Texas has 92 and in Arkansas and Tennessee it is 93 octane.

Mark :)
    I tell my customers to use regular or mid-grade abouve 4000 feet, premium below.
    lrguy44, I've never heard that about going to higher elevations so I always put in premium no matter what the elevation or octane that is offered. It seems that I usually never go above 4,000 ft very often.

Mark
    There are studies on the net that back that practice. For those of us that live above 4k feet, it works. My Harley still gets premium though.
    I took my LR3 to the dealer to have the tires rotated, balanced and to get an alignment. I also had them check my sunroof mesh slider as it was not working right. I didn't realize for two years the mesh slider was off track. I wondered why I had to hold the knob and be very careful guiding it so that it would click into the holder. I never used it much but when I was at another Land Rover dealer, I sat in a new LR2 and noticed how easy it was to slide the mesh sun cover.... then, I knew that mine must not be working right.

Anyway, back to my tire/alignment story.... with tax and all, it was $402 to rotate, balance and align the LR3. That seemed a little steep to me. :sick:

Mark

For
    I misstated the bill total for the tire/balance/alignment... it was $420.94
    I have a 2006 LR3. I just finished the 30,000 mile check and the vehicle is right at 30,000.

No problems to date. I did replace the original tires (dealer paid 1/3 of the cost) at 18,000, and as of today no appreciable wear at all.

the vehicle drives perfectly. I drive several miles each week on a horrible roadand with the rain and snow we are getting here in CA it put the LR3 to the test. Passed fine of course and in fact everyone was impresses with how well the car does.

I am a few months from the end of the lease and the only decision is whether to get a new LR3 or stick with this one. I think i might just stick with the one i have as it looks great and has been perfect to date.
    ssp1, I'm just at 19,200 miles and 24 months of ownership. I will probably keep it during it warranty period (4 yrs.) I will be under mileage as I will drive it even less next year because of the motorhome. I'm planning a couple of good long trips pulling the Honda CR-V.

The reliability and performance of my LR3 has surpassed my expectations, it still drives and looks like new (Black with Alpaca leather).

Another thing, I hand washed it last week and, HONESTLY, I do not have any rock chips on the front. My previous Mercedes ML500 had a lot of rock chips.

I don't know if Land Rover uses a different paint or if I've just been lucky. Tomorrow is a new day! LOL! :P

Mark
    If you like leasing, you may want to look at the incentives LR is offering on '08 models. Having the factory warranty coverage is a good deal even though it sounds like you haven't had much use for it. I just got a promotional piece in the mail the other day offering something like US$2k to $3K off on new RR's and something slightly less on new LR3's. And I haven't even owned mine for a year!

After leasing for years, I purchased my current LR3 to get the beneficial tax write-off for business use of a 6000 lb truck. I keep reading that Congress is on the verge of doing away with that program, so that's another reason to act soon.

Also, I don't put enough miles on my vehicle to justify leasing, and always ended up giving away money on the leases. I intend to keep my '07 model until I'm really tempted to do otherwise (or until LR or Tata--assuming they end up with LR -- brings a diesel to the US). The factory sponsored service contract that is available after the warranty runs out (provided you purchase at least 1,000 miles before expiration of the warranty) also looks like a good deal.

If you are thinking of purchasing your current vehicle off lease, you might inquire as to whether LR will take a discount off the lease end price. Assuming market value is less than your residual, you might have some leverage to get a reduction rather than let LR take the vehicle back. I did that with my Jeep a few years back and saved about $1K off the residual on that lease.
    If I do buy it, I wonder if land rover gives you the cerfied warranty? If I turn it in for a 2008, then they have to spend money on the 2006, (I think they put new tires on it and they have to certify it for resale). There has to be some incentive to them to sell the 06 to me versus putting it back on the lot.
  • saudmdsaudmd Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of purchasing a new LR3 HSE and wanted to know if there is any difference in the model years 2007-2008.I have an opportunity to buy a 2007 brand new at seriously substantial savings and wanted to know if I am missing something buy not buying the 2008 with all the same bells and whistles?
    If I do buy it, I wonder if land rover gives you the certfied warranty?

Only dealer owned vehicles can be certified, but you, as the original owner, can purchase a Land Rover Assured Extended warranty. Also, the leasing co(usually Land Rover Capital group) sets the purchase price of your off lease vehicle, not the dealer. Usually, the purchase price is the residual.
    Right, I know the residual price is the sale price but thats got to be negotiable. If they wont certify it at a minimum, i would have no incentive to keep the vehicle. Do have to go to the same dealer?

Thanks for any knowledge anyone has on this.
    LR would much rather sell a new car than a lease return (as would any car mfg.). No car mfg will certify a lease buy out. You can return the car to any LR dealer. Also, right now there is a 6 month early return if you buy an 08, and lease cash on LR3s.
  • amheck1amheck1 Member Posts: 44
    Was talking to the local dealer, negotiating a lease on a LR3. We were talking about GPS and he said he's had a few customers go buy a portable GPS unit (voice commands, touch screen, etc) and have it mounted in the dash. Apparently there is a small hole/cavity in the dash where these would fit nicely?

Anyone done anything like this? Or have any pics of a similar setup?

Thanks!
    If you're not certain how much you would use it, a portable GPS unit would certainly cost much less than the factory unit, although ask yourself how much savings that would bring on a leased vehicle.

I don't have experience with the portable ones although Tom Tom and Garmin appear to be leaders in this area (check CNet or its sister site, Crave, for reviews).

The factory unit works quite well and is integrated into the voice control and response features on the vehicle. I have been using it regularly for new addresses in parts of the city I have not been to before. It also came in quite handy for a cross-country jaunt to Patagonia, AZ after I got lost the old-fashioned way - by driving and talking with my passenger and not paying attention to road signs.
  • kyle11kyle11 Member Posts: 11
    I love land rovers.
  • rrhserrhse Member Posts: 4
    Would anyone have any idea what the current lease cash is on an '08 LR3 HSE?

Thanks, John
    $1000 - but new programs come out next week and 2008 LR3 Lease cash may or may not be available.
  • tzotzo Member Posts: 95
    I recently got the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow's for my LR3 HSE. Very impressed with their quiet road handling, and amazing grip on the snow. I drove the LR3 this week during a few snowstorms up in the Sierra Nevada area, and was very impressed with these tires. As bad as the Goodyear OEM tires are, these tires excel in the snow and ice. The Pirelli treads didn't appear much different than the Goodyears so my expectations were low (even though Tirerack users ratred them highly in snow), but wow have I been pleased with the snow traction. You have to work hard to get these tires to lose any grip at all in ice or fresh snow.
    If these would be considered a snow tire, do you think the all terrain version would provide comparable ride quality? I have considered the Scorpions as a replacement tire when the OEM's need to go.
    I didn't know Pirelli had an all-terrain version of this size tire. Check Tirerack users ratings as a hint to their performance. I was so po'd at the Goodyear OEM tire performance last year in snow, I was ready to do anything including buying some 18" wheels since there were more tire choices in 18". But these Ice and Snow's totally scrap those plans... they seem to be the perfect snow tire with excellent highway noise and handling.

How long they last is another question, but if I only get 15-20k out of them, I'll still be happy. BTW, the Goodyears actually caused my steering wheel to shake at 55mph... the Pirelli's... smooth as butter.
  • riottriott Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2005 LR3 without the GPS system, although I had hoped to find one with that option. I bought a portable Tom Tom unit and I am glad that I did. It fits very nicely in the cavity in the dash of my LR3 but I can also use it in any of the other family cars - I'm not limited. It is a smarter - and cheaper - investment. BTW, the TomTom is awesome. I have used it in the US, Canada, and Scotland and it is always right on the money.
    riott, when you have an after market "anything" that is loose, you are much more at risk for it to be stolen. I'm not sure if you have yours attached in some way but I would have to lock it up when I left my vehicle.

So, there are pluses and minuses for having after market equipment. Just be careful leaving it in the LR3.

I happen to have the built-in navigation and I think all my future cars will have it whether it be built-in or portable.

Happy motoring! Mark :)
    some pictures of the LR3 HSE in the recent North California snowstorms ... see top and bottom of page. Again, I highly recommend the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow as your next tire of choice... great for highway and snow, as you can see.
    PikiWiki page re Sierra snowstorm
    tzo... great pics! :D
    thanks... the Pirelli tires make the LR3 everything it can be... had lot of fun chewing through a foot of fresh snow on the ground.
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    I'm also at 30,000 miles with no troubles so far. The 05 LR3 HSE has been absolutely a joy to own. I'm still on my OE tires and they look like they're good for another 10 K. I did have have them dismounted from the wheels and turned around because the inside edges were wearing more than the outsides. My mileage, with 89 octane and Oklahoma "winter" gas is down to 17 avg. (used to get 19).

I'm glad to hear that the 19" Pirelli tires work - I'm thinking about those also, when the time comes this summer - wonder how they'll be on just dry pavement?

Good luck to all of you with your Rovers.