Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• commuter10commuter10 Member Posts: 26
    I completely agree with Jim Dandy. After finding out about Top Tier gas in the owners manual (and having gas related carbon buildup problems with a previous vehicle) I have used the brands listed on the Top Tier website almost exclusively in my 2006 Equinox. It starts and runs great. I have only had it turn over more than once or twice before it started a few times. The Top Tier brands are the way to go.

My Equinox has about 24,000 miles and had been very reliable.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    The over start mode is in all the Chevys, my 05 Malibu and Equinox did it, the gas has nothing to do with it.
    What you will find out one day as alot of people did during the gas shortages in the 70's was that there cars ran the same just as cars do today and if they didn't you wouldn't see un branded gas stations, do you think Sams, Costco, WaWa's make there own gas, they buy from the big guys you buy gas from however you pay a higher stuborn rate.
  • grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    Right! Gasoline as I see it is all the same. Maybe a little more refined from one companie to another) but still... At the pump I guess you're paying more for the "brand" than the quality of the product. Another thing that I noticed is if your engine is running and you turn the key to the start position ... not happens, usually the starter would make a grinching metal sound, but the Equinox.... nothing.
    It's an over start mode some car companies put in the cars today, due to such quiet engines some times you can't even tell the engine is running. GM had to do that when they were testing the Trail Blazer before it came out the engineers ripped up a few starters before they decided to put a safe mode in the starter.
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    Not sure if this is the right place for this question or not. But, does anyone know how to remove the roof rack cross bars on a 08? I just picked up my 08 and tried to remove them and can't figure out how. I can move them back and forth, but not remove. Thanks

Chuck
  • jackswammijackswammi Member Posts: 10
    They are really hard to get off or on. Mine didn't come with cross bars so the dealer ordered them for me and gave me a print out from the service manual on how to install them. You have to pry off the rear plastic covers on the roof rails and the the bars will slide in or out it you release the lock pins on the bars by lifting up the plastic tabs on the bars.Prying off the covers can break push tabs on the covers real easy or scratch the paint on the top of the car.I'd leave the cross bars on if I were you unless you really have to take them off. Maybe the dealer will do it for you, but probably not for free.
    Thank You, I appreciate the answer. I think I will take your advice and leave them on.
  • dano3393dano3393 Member Posts: 1
    I have read all of the posts related to the musty smell. Mine seems to be coming from somewhere else. Checked the tire well in rear and it is dry as a bone and smells fine.

I have a 2008 Equinox LT with 5,400 miles. Brought it in last week to my dealer complaining of a musty smell. It was rather bad and my wife could smell it on my clothes when I got in the house. The first attempt to remedy it was to coat evap coil. I was told something shorted out,(dealer would not expand after numerous questions) and they said they coated a evap coil per a service bulletin. Car was deodorized which was a terrible smell for a couple days. Smell is back and giving it back to the dealer to remedy.

Has anyone had any other musty related smells coming from car besides previously discussed problems related?
    Mine is a 2005 LT. Never had any problems with bad odors but one of my friends owns a 2007 and he told me that when he passed his Equinox in a automatic car wash water had came in by his air vents on the passenger side. He did not notice it right away and a bad smell resulted from this (molded carpet). He also told me that once he drove in 6 inches of water on the road and he noticed that water came in again on the passenger's side, his carpet was humid. I never passed mine in a automatic car wash and I slow down when passing in deep water holes. So I can't tell if mine is the same.
  • klnncklnnc Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2008 LS. I have not noted a smell, but before I get into that, is it only happening with the air conditioner on? Mine has an "odor" of some kind, like metal almost, at times when the air is on. It smells toxic. Doesnt happen all the time, but when it does I open the windows. Also, what is the service bulletin noted stating to coat the evap coil? I dont know about that one, however, did you get the one about removing the shield on the AC Condenser? Can you tell me if you noted that the AC fan cuts to a lower speed at times even though it is on high or medium? The dealer showed me a note on that stating that there is noting that they can go that it is a voltage pull on the generator that cant be fixed...oh well...add that to the list.
    My Equinox is a 05 LT. F.W.D.

I'm looking forward to buy 4 snow tires this year. My original tire size is 235 / 65 / 16.

I went on the "Tirerack" site and made a search. I figured out on the site that only Bridgestone makes winter tires that would fit on my Equinox and they are called "Blizzaks". I read that it's a really good tire but I wonder if any other company manufacture 235/65-16 winter tires or is there another size of snow tires that would fit.
    Save your money you won't need them.
    I've been driving for 33 yrs and never had snow tires, always drove with 4 seasons and only had one accident in winter time (little fender bender) but this year starting on 15 Dec. snow tire are mandatory here. If you're caught driving without snow tires the fine starts at 300$ and if you're involve in an accident your insurance doesn't pay you a cent.
    Where do you live that "they" can make snow tires mandatory? I've used "studless" snow tires for several years, and they work really well. Probably better than studded tires. I think studded tires should be banned, too hard on the roadbed. You have to take studless tires off in summer because tread is soft and they wear out too fast.
    Wow, yea what state do you live in besides Lake Tahoe Nev. area, I think studs are banned in Jersey, they are excelent in the snow but bad in the rain.
    I live in the province of Quebec Canada. (western Quebec).

We must get our winter tires before the 15 Dec but studless because studs are not allowed here, only in the northern cities of the province.

What is realy weird about this law is that where I live it's right on the border of the province of Ontario just a river to cross (I can see the river from my home) but on the Ontario side snow tires are not mandatory. Go figure!

Lots of different laws exists between the 2 provinces and both are in Canada.
  • zoocar1zoocar1 Member Posts: 1
    I cant find winter tires size 235/ 60 / 17. What other size can I put in replacement, without causing any trouble to my Equinox 2006
    Had the same problem with my 2005 equinox. My original size is 235/65/16 and all I could find were "Bridgestone Blizzaks" good winter tires but they cost a foot and a leg to buy them. My dealer found out that I can install some 215/70/16 with no problem and more choices in that size. Even more... they're narrower so less slippery.

Check with a G.M. dealer there must be an alternative.
    It's me again "grosloup".

I've checked with www.tirerack.com and there is 2 winter tires size 235/60/17 available but also check with a G.M. dealer.

The "Bridgestone Blizzak ws60" and "Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow".
    Bridgestone Blizzaks are available in 235/60/17 at Firestone-Bridgestone and at Discount tire and Tire Rack online store. You could probable use 225/65/17 too, About the same circumference. You can get these in Michelin Studless snows too.I really like studless snow tires. Much better than studs on rain and much quieter too. Legal everywhere.
  • sandyt1sandyt1 Member Posts: 1
    I have just returned my 06 equinox and happen to have 4 blizzak winter tires that I used for two winters. Wouldn't have gone without them. I'm willing to sell them since I've downgraded to a smaller vehicule.
    What kind of smaller vehicule are you thinking about?

I own a 2005 Equinox LT and I'm thinking of downgrading to a smaller vehicule to. I was thinking of a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt but hesitating.
    Just bought a set of winter tires for my my 05 Equinox. First set of winter tires in my 33 years of driving. Now I'm a bit confused because on the tires it says maximum inflation 45 lbs p.s.i.
    I never went over 35 p.s.i. in my 4 season tires, maybe winter tires need more air pressure?.

My question is.... Should I follow the tire recommendation or the "vehicule/owner's manual" recommendation?
    Some say "Go with the tire's" and others say "By what's written on the door panel". 10 p.s.i. difference is alot. I need some advice.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maximum isn't the same as optimal. The recommendation in your owner's manual is set by the manufacturer for ride comfort, traction and economy, comfort probably being number 1 in their calculations.

People often tweak the psi (generally a few pounds higher) for better mpg or for hauling a lot of weight around, but going to the max can bounce you all over the road, which isn't too safe.

If you put the max pressure in your tires, you'll reduce the size of the footprint on the road and with a smaller contact patch, they'll probably be more slippery. And they'll likely wear out faster in the center of the tread.
  • wdirvinwdirvin Member Posts: 2
    2006 Chevy Equinox LT1, 52k miles. My rear hatch/liftgage stopped unlocking. Can not open liftgage.Can not hear any actuator or other noise from rear hatch door when lock or unlock on key fob pressed. Does not seem to be separate fuse or relay for rear hatch. Have swapped all power door related relays (that I have found). Have resynchonized key per owners manual - no change. Owner's manual makes no mention of "emergency" release to open liftgate.
    Dealer says there is no easy way in, that I must bring in and have technician pry off door panel.
    Please help, how do I open rear hatch.
    Thanks,
    Doug
  • grandamgtgrandamgt Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an 05 Equinox LT AWD with 39,000 miles on it. It has a very noticable "whole car" vibration that occurs when accelerating between 40 and 50 mph. The vibration goes away after exceeding 50mph, and there is no vibration between 40-50 mph when coasting or braking, only when accelerating. Any ideas as to what this might be? Thanks
  • hairballzhairballz Member Posts: 1
    I have a used 2006 Equinox with 35,000 and was experiencing the SAME problem. Took it to the dealer (thankfully still under warranty) and he very quickly said it was a Steering Column problem - said it's a fairly common problem with these. I was honestly skeptical, but what da' heck, wasn't costing me anything. They ordered the new column and a week later I went back for the install. KNOCKED THE PROBLEM OUT COLD - completely. My 'Nox handles better than when I bought it and there is no vibration of any kind anymore in the 40-55 range (or anywhere for that matter). Totally corrected it.
  • denise16denise16 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Chev Equinox - this is the first time I have put winter tires on a vehicle....ever! My all seasons were P235/60R 17. The tire dealer did not have this size but said that the P235/65R 17's would work. I had them installed and besides being noisy (which I was told to expect), when I cut the wheels sharply (to back in a space etc.) they scrape like crazy! Are these tires too big for my vehicle? I wondered also if maybe the mudflaps were causing it. Being a novice to winter tires I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Please help.
    Hi all, I have a 08 LT I find when I have it in dash vent mode or any combination of the vents the one to the left of the steering wheel does not blow very much. I know it wont be as strong as the center vents, but it seems to be really lacking. Just wondering if anyone else has experience this, or is it just me?? Thanks
    Yes, I noticed the same thing...I bet the passenger side does it too. Did you also notice that when you have too much running, i.e. the radio, AC, lights that the AC fan cuts down no matter what speed you have it on? It cycles down a step. The reason is that the generator in the car cannot handle the load put on it. Chevy knows this since they sent out a notice to the dealers and there is nothing they can do about it. Also, do you have a bang sound from your left front end when you first drive the car, and again after it has been sitting for a while...it happens only at 20 mph, once, and then not again. Example, if you get up to 20, hear the bang, then stop, it wont happen again when you get to 20 unless the car has sat for while. Mine is a 2008 and I am dissapointed in quite a few things....probably would not buy it again if I had to do it over...
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    You have gone to a taller tire and they are definitely too large. Tire dealer should replace free of charge.
  • oceanbreezesueoceanbreezesue Member Posts: 3
    None of my aux. power plug ins work. Where is the fuse for them?
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    The fuse for the accessory outlet and lighter are in the under hood fuse
    block. It is labeled AUX PWR. It is a 20 amp fuse.
  • sc0ttiesc0ttie Member Posts: 1
    if you clean the seats, you will have a waterspot, right. if you get the whole seat wet, the whole seat is 'water-stained'- which actually just darkens the seat a little, but you cannot see a stain. just wet down the entire seat
  • WesMantoothWesMantooth Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone else tell me their experiences using the Equinox MP3 Jack/Aux feature with their iPods? We just bought a 2008 Equinox and the jack works, but you have to crank up the volume just to hear it. Thanks.
    Be sure that the volume is up on your ipod first...then the volume on the radio control. Can you tell me if you have an LT or LS
  • equinox3equinox3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 model. for the last six months, the abs and tc light keep coming on. It's an intermitten occurance and the dealer can't diagnose unless the light is on. I took the car to Midas when it first started happening since the car is out of warranty. They replaced the left front wheel bearing three times without fixing the problem. they finally returned my money. The problem continues and the brakes are starting to feel like they are 'binding". this also happens intermitten. Does anybody have any idea what is going on?
    I had written this back in May.
    On my 05 Equniox I just turned in that I leased (I now have the 08 Pontiac Torreant instead), the following things happened to it,some of the following may sound familiar:

GM Warranty Items Covered
    Prolong starting crank - They replaced fuel pump module - 382 mls
    Popping noise in the front - They had to replace both front struts - 8,130 mls
    Steering grinds on sharp turns - They had to replace both sway bars - 15,752 mls
    Rear growling like noise - They had to replace rear differential - 17,115 mls
    ABS light came on - They had to replace the right rear speed sensor - 24,236 mls
    ABS light came on - They had to replace left front speed sensor - 32,115
    ABS light came on - They had to replace the left front speed sensor wire harness - 32,815

The whirring noise - They had to replace the right rear bearing.- 32,079 mls

Dont ever lease four years, I happened to get a major discount on the extended warranty with no deductible, thank God. Even though the SUV only had 32,079 mls, it was in the fourth year when the the rear bearing went, so the extended warranty paid for itself and then some.

Brakes 32,100 mls normal these days for brakes to be replaced - I replaced the rotors and brake pads myself, you should never cut the rotors in a lot of these newer cars, they are to thin, and are fairly cheap to replace.

Tires 34,350 mls they were bad had to change them I was getting to many flats and some sliding in the rain.

Dead battery 35,963 not normal (thats a Delco battery for ya) I replaced it with an Interstate Battery.
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    Mine is also a 2005 LT FWD.
    I presently have 27,000 miles on it. My biggest problem was with warped rotors had to machined them once every year and then G.M. replaced them on warranty because they were to thin to be machined once more. My first repair on warranty was a faulty windshield washer reservoir pump then the replacement of the rubber weather strip between the rear spoiler (tailgate) and roof and a left rear wheel bearing. All those repairs were on warranty. That's about it and it's been 4 yrs now that I bought my Equinox (new).
    There's proabaly more to come, like I said in my message 4 year lease dont ever go past the warranty period and for get the extended one I had that to what a waste of money or GM points.
    Unfortunately after the 32,000 mark because it was past the 3 year mark like your Nox, I had to pay for the brakes and the battery (again not covered under the extended warranty) when the battery was dying so I brought it to the dealer to have it checked, they wanted $350 to replace it ( there are no decimal place errors in my figure ) so I had my friend who owns a station put in $100 cash. All of the other stuff before that was under the normal warranty.
  • equinox08equinox08 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 equinox lt awd with 16000 miles. This winter, when the temps dip below 22 degreese, I hear a scraping or grinding noise everytime I go over a dip or buckle in the road. The colder it is the louder the sound. Its coming from the front end. At first, I thought something was dragging but nothing. I took it to the dealer and they checked under the body and did not find anything abnormal. They said "Noise hearing is the strut gasses moving thru the orfices of the tower -no problems found, this is normal". It has to be something else - a $28K should not be making a noise when going over dips in cold weather. They said other owners are having this issue but GM not doing a recall. Im trying to push for new struts but am clueless if it could be something else. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
  • chief28chief28 Member Posts: 1
    Have 2008 Equinox with 2700 miles ,inside the rear doors after driving on a dirt road ,road dust and chloride dust from road salt along with snow and water accumulate on the rear fender wells.. If you open the rear doors to put anything in rear or get anything out or attempt to get in or out of rear you rub against the fender well and have the greasy chloride from the winter salting of the roads on your clothes which ruins them.. Has anyone else tried to get problem corrected.. I tried and was told no corrective action available at this time..
  • powderkeggpowderkegg Member Posts: 22
    Because of the position of the door seals that's just the way it is. My girlfriend has a 06 equinox and it is the same way. Washing the car and the door sills is the only solution.
    Got that right had a 05 Nox and I have a 08 Torrent, it's just the way, the only cure would come from the rocket scientist engineers at GM, and I dont think they really care about this right now.
  • poppy9poppy9 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 equinox. I drove all around town today with no issues. Then my last stop of the day I parked the car and when I came out it would'nt start at all. I have power, every comes on but nothing happens when I turn the key. They sent someone out to jump it. There is nothing wrong with the battery. I had to have it towed back to the dealership. This is the 3rd time they have had my car and I bought it in december of 2007. First time was for the CD player, Second time they had to replace the 6th cylinder and now this. It is one month past the year mark so now it's not covered under the lemon law in my state.
  • poppy9poppy9 Member Posts: 2
    My husband says," that's about right!"
    My swag guess is that there's is a short somewhere near the steering harness
  • SchwindySchwindy Member Posts: 1
    Don't want to sound like an idiot BUT I can't figure out how to remove handlight to change bulb on driver side - removed 3 screws but must be another 1 I can't see - where would I go for directions or schematic - I'm really losimg points with my wife - HELP!
  • oceanbreezesueoceanbreezesue Member Posts: 3
    I just changed mine in my '07 nox. MAKE SURE you change both headlights because it's really a pain in the butt and the other one WILL go out shortly. Mine did and I learned the hard way!! First of all, you have to remove the screws (bolts) on top holding the front grill on. Then remove all 3 of the bolts holding the light casing on.While pulling slightly outward on the grill, you have to lift up and pull the whole light out. Change the bulb(Do not touch the bulb with your hands). Hope this helps!!
    Kim
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    After removing the three screws, lift the light up a little and rotate the headlight forward. There is pin on the base of the headlight that centers it in the metal header. You may have to wiggle the light while pulling it out. I changed the headlight halogen to Super Plasma PIAA GT-X (9007) , they produce light at 5000 K which is a truer white light with just slight blue hue. They are great, hope this info helps.