Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    If your not over 36,000 miles GM will replace the bulb or bulbs in your Nox. at no cost. 3-36 bumper to bumper
  • oceanbreezesueoceanbreezesue Member Posts: 3
    well, isn't that funny!! I went to chevrolet and asked them that. They said no-my lights werent covered. They were going to charge me $68.00 and I told them they were crazy-I'll do it myself.
  • john1965john1965 Member Posts: 7
    just yesterday feb7, I started having acelerating problems and some slight hesitations in power. Could it be fuel injectors or something else..

I have a 2008 chevy equinox fwd with 9400 miles on it. I deliver newspapers every
    morning so it gets abused with stop and go and the engine always on.

The check enginelight was blinking and only coming on when I acelerate up to moderate speeds like 40 mph and more.

Now today Sunday feb 8th, the check engine light is on steady all the time and the aceleration is still the same.

Any body have a thoughbt.
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    Should still be under warranty, Take it back to the stealer. Let them figure it out.
    If fuel injectors are clogged, is that under warrenty?
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    Don't take any chances with this, go straight to the dealer. The problem is only a couple of days old, if something happens and it's because you over did it, (drove you vehicle a couple of weeks like this) G.M. will tell you that it's an abuse and it won't be a warranty claim. No time to lose, go NOW.
    I took my 08 equinox to a chevy dealer and the found the # 1 spark plug wire was cracked internally. The had a hard time tracking down a part since many parts manufactures had been shut down across the country. It sat at the dealership for 7 days and finally got the equinox back yesterday and is fixed. All is well for this equinox. The warenty covered everything and a rental car.
    Why didnt they just take a plug wire out of a car sitting on there lot, I know they give a free rental but thats not the point, I don't think it was the wiwre other wise you would have had that problem from day one. Did you have any service work ie oil changes done previously to your problem.
  • sportsbuggysportsbuggy Member Posts: 2
    I have narrowed my car purchase to a (2005) Equinox. It was comfortable ride and has all the amenities. This site is interesting in that I can not get a feel from what I've read. Pls let me know if you are a owner of a Equinox would you do it again? Would you recommend your family and friends to make the purchase? What are some the highest mileages that people are recording. Example I currently drive a Volvo and though she is getting older she still has @ least another 100,000 to go :blush:
    I noticed this morning (engine cold) that my coolant in my tank is about 1 inch under the "cold fill level" line.
    I can't see anything on the ground, nothing is wet, my radiator doesn't seem to be leaking. Last time I used the truck my temperature gage reading was normal.
    Is it possible that the level comes low and then goes back to its normal level while driving? If so, I don't want to add some and then it's going to be over filled.
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    The coolant expands when it's heated up, the level will go up but not to normal level in the overflow tank in your case. You show check the level in the tank after using the vehicle. Top up the tank to just below the normal level on the tank with 50/50 mixed coolant when truck is hot.

Keep checking the level every day to make sure the coolant isn't disappearing. It's normal to have a small amount , couple of ounces of lost in 5-9 months depending on age and mileage of the vehicle. Your vehicle sounds like it's just operating normally but if the problem continues have GM check it for a possible leak in the cooling system.
    I've just added 8 ounces of coolant in the "coolant tank". I remember that when the Equinox was new (24 may 2005) in the spring of 2007 I had to add some coolant and about the same quantity. Can the coolant disappear without having any leaks?
    If so, how and from where does it vanish?
    If it's been 24 months between topping up the coolant tank ,and you only have to add 8 ounces that's normal. Yes the coolant can disappear without any signs of leaks. Sometimes it seeps by the head gasket and also can go through small hairline cracks not visible to the naked eye . This is just normal expansion and contraction of the metal the engine goes through during heating up and cooling.

Example, Aluminum expands faster and farther than steel does at the same temperature, the 3.4 engine has a case Steel (case iron) block with Aluminum heads There's a better chance of tiny leaks due to the disimaliar rates of expansion of the two metals.
    Compare this to other GM engines that are completely made from Aluminum, like the 2.0 , 2.2 , 2.4, 3.6, 4.4, 4.6, 5.3, 6.2 and the 7.0 liter . These are better built engines.

Hope this helps clear up your question.
    Thank you very much rvoth. Your response will surely makes me sleep better at night.
    I thought it could have been a busted head gasket because the engine head is a bit dirty but every engine I look at seems to be like that after a couple of years and replacing a head gasket could have cost me around 1,000$ or more.
    I appreciate your reply.... Thanks again.
  • sportsbuggysportsbuggy Member Posts: 2
    are the coolant and gaskets typical problems for this suv? Is it a particular year and model that has this problem? if your responding to this email please tell me if your purchase this truck again. :blush:
    So far the 3.4 doesn't have a problem with head gasket leaks. The service bulletins from GM don't mention any problems with the head gasket .
    I have an 2008 Equinox LT 3.4 liter ,had it for six months 6800 km and love this engine / transmission combination great for the city and good on the hwy. It has (220) ft/lb torque you can feel when starting from a stop and conservative amount of horsepower (185)
    . If you are looking for more speed/horsepower look at the SS version with the 3.6 (264) hp and 250 ft/lb of torque. It gets just a little less fuel mileage but much more power with a six speed transmission.
    I would purchase this vehicle again it has too many positives going for it.
    I would also buy the same thing (Equinox).
    Mine is a 2005 LT FWD and in the past I've owned 2 Blazers S-10 (1984) and (1994) and I love my Nox as much as my Blazers.
    My Equinox is AWD we picked it up in Sept 08, every option available but we really enjoy the traction of AWD in snowy road conditions. Also the stability control works very well and we enjoy the seven speaker bose with XM radio. Nice feather the built in phone with the GPS system. The red beauty should last at least ten years i hope not nineteen years like my (90) GT Beretta has ;)
    Mine is only a FWD and it has "traction control". I'm driving on winter tires because starting this year they are mandatory and what a difference it makes. My Equinox is very good in the snow.
    We can get between 15 and 30 cm. (6 to 12 inches) when it's a good storm and no problems.
    You must live in Quebec, they are mandated by provincial law for using winter tires. Yes the Equinox would claw through deep snow with a good set of snow tires and stop alot faster. Where i live were luckily to have lots of snow 10-25 cm when it storms. This year we can't buy any snow tires they are all sold out. :confuse:
    Yep! Quebec alright, but born in Ontario.
    I was even lucky to find some winter tires for my Nox. I had to go with a different tire size than my originals because they were out of stock.
    Tire companies knew about all this, they should had upgraded there tire quotas for the 2008/09 winter.
    Personally, it's my first time that I buy winter tires in 34 yrs of driving. Had no choice, it's that or getting caught without them and pay a 300$ fine + still have to buy some within 48 hrs.
    Stay away from this year I had the 05, alot of issues, have an 08 PontiacTorrent now, it's cousin, 100 times better.
    You must have surely fell on the bad apple in the basket. In general, all the persons that I know who own 2005"s Equinox are very satisfied and not to much issues. Normal things like any brand or year.
    You've been very extremely unlucky my friend.
    I'm born and raised in Alberta .
    Here we didn't have enough winter tires this year and we have had lots of snow in dec that's stayed around, not the usually Alberta winter. You can get away with a little narrower or taller sidewall, it will cut through the snow a better and wouldn't mess up your speedo reading. The tire calculators allow a 3 % difference in tire sizes before you would have to recalibrate the computer in the Nox.
    The Bridgestone tires that came with our Nox have alot of grip starting but less grip in the braking. Maybe next winter if there is enough tire stock and personally funds (allow) new tires would be great.
    I will never buy a first year model and the Nox was introduced in 05 usually they have a large amount of problems. GM did with the new Malibu in 04 so i waited until 05 and haven't had issues that would get me to dump the car.
    I was reading in Consumer Report on vehicle for 2008 and it showed that Nox 05 was a below average in just about all the categories it tested for but 06 and on GM Nox greatly improved in just about very category.
    I love my Equinox.
    The originals were 235/65/16 Bridgestone Dueler H/T
    The winter tires that the dealer suggested were 225/70/16 "Arctic Claw" made by Vanderbuilt (a division of Cooper Tires). They are a bit narrower.
    The only 235/65/16 that could fit on my Nox were Bridgestone "Blizzaks", very good winter tires but 192$ each + tax. No thanks.
    I paid 127$ each + tax and I'm very satisfied.

My brother in law used to live in Alberta a couple of year ago.... Calgary, Taber, Olds and Red Deer. He's been to Fort McMurray for a couple of mouths to work there.
    Just compared your 235/65/16 to 225/70/16 tire and your speed will be 1.4% slow with the winter Arctic Claw, so you can speed 1.4 % more and still be within the speed limit.
    My tires are the hard to find because of the lower profile, 235/60/17. There aren't many choices in the winter tire size, I'm going have to go to higher profile and narrow tire like you did to keep operation properly. About 180 - 209$ each+taxes. Ouch

Things here are slowing down fast, everyone is laying off workers because contracts are on hold or postponed due to uncertainly of oil production. It's starting to hurt bad.
    Just read through some the older blogs, apparently you can't have enough friends

I posted this back on May 25.

On my 05 Equniox I just turned in that I leased (I now have the 08 Pontiac Torreant instead), the following things happened to it,some of the following may sound familiar:

GM Warranty Items Covered
    Prolong starting crank - They replaced fuel pump module - 382 mls
    Popping noise in the front - They had to replace both front struts - 8,130 mls
    Steering grinds on sharp turns - They had to replace both sway bars - 15,752 mls
    Rear growling like noise - They had to replace rear differential - 17,115 mls
    ABS light came on - They had to replace the right rear speed sensor - 24,236 mls
    ABS light came on - They had to replace left front speed sensor - 32,115
    ABS light came on - They had to replace the left front speed sensor wire harness - 32,815

The whirring noise - They had to replace the right rear bearing.- 32,079 mls

Dont ever lease four years, I happened to get a major discount on the extended warranty with no deductible, thank God. Even though the SUV only had 32,079 mls, it was in the fourth year when the the rear bearing went, so the extended warranty paid for itself and then some.

Brakes 32,100 mls normal these days for brakes to be replaced - I replaced the rotors and brake pads myself, you should never cut the rotors in a lot of these newer cars, they are to thin, and are fairly cheap to replace.

Tires 34,350 mls they were bad had to change them I was getting to many flats and some sliding in the rain.

Dead battery 35,963 not normal (thats a Delco battery for ya) I replaced it with an Interstate Battery.
    Dont know the mileage on yor cars. however have you begun to hear any noises or clunks in the front end on your BU yet while turning, did the battery die after 3 years.
    On the Nox have you heard any thumps in the front end or grinding in the rear, I willing to bet your ABS light has already come on at least twice since you had the truck.
    YA I had the battery replaced because one or two cells was shorting and decreasing the capacity of the battery , showed up in -22 Celsius and when listing to the radio for two and half hours while waxing the new NOX. The only grinding sound i have form the front end when the tires are turned compeletly to either side they rub on a small piece of the Chevy mud flaps from GM.

The ABS hasn't come on, only the stability light momentary when the vehicle is getting out of position (sliding) on winter streets. Works very well a different sound compared to the ABS on the petal. I've notice a faint driveshaft vibration only under sudden acceleration from a slow speed. Just an alignment with the rear driveshaft nothing to be picky about at least not yet. I' II pay more attention to the rear knocking noise , once in a while.

Oh ya that advise you gave to that guy with a 2006 Malibu about a roaring noise at 40 mph isn't a CV joint. Sounds like the hub bearing in the spindle that the CV joint goes through. A worn CV joint makes a clicking sound when turning the wheel at slow speed and gets louder the farther you turn the wheel in that direction. The tri-union bearing joint is then worn out and it happens because the CV boot gets broken or a tear in the plastic cone shaped shell. Or when the grease has leaked out from the clamps that seal the shafts each end of the shaft. If it clicks there is no grease left in the bearing assemble, probable has turned the bearing into shavings.

So please don't offer advise to these members of this board if you DON'T know the difference between a bad front hub bearing and a bad CV joint. Your leading them astray.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Oh ya that advise you gave to that guy with a 2006 Malibu...

I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it "advice" when one offers that the problem "might be the cv joints." And, of course, if you think the original poster in the Malibu Forum has been led astray don't you think it would be more productive to educate him rather than chastising someone in an unrelated Forum who was trying to help? :)

We'll stick with discussing the Equinox here.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • commuter10commuter10 Member Posts: 26
    My Equinox is up to about 29,000 miles. I have not had any of the major problems discussed above. The plastic chrome piece on the rear lid bubbled and the battery just went out. Both were replaced under warranty. Looks like some of us have had the battery go at about this point.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I didn't trace back that other discussion through its entire history but we agree it would have been helpful to apprise the original poster. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    OH Boy!
    By the way I see it, you criticize and you're saying that you didn't like your 05 Equinox at all?
    You got rid of your 05 Chevrolet Equinox for a 08 Pontiac Torrent?
    You must not know the difference between 4 quarters and 1 dollar.
    The Pontiac Torrent is the same thing as the Chevrolet Equinox.
    You've just changed a red apple for a green apple.
    I hope you got a good apple this time.
    Yes my NOX 2008 LT AWD was sitting on the lot for eleven months before we purchased the vehicle. Gm replaced the battery with an A/C del co battery same as the original , if it goes out might just squeeze a spiral type battery, optimum ( red top) . About twenty to thirty dollars more but better capacity build quality, around 135 - 145 dollars compared to 110 for an interstate battery.
    My tire pressure gauge light is still illuminated after filling the right front tire. The indicator did show the right front needing air. I filled the tire upto the approatie pressure and the indicator is still illuminated. The vehicle info system showed
    the pressure of the that tire still at 24 lbs. But after checking the pressure of that
    tire , it showed 30 psi.

Anybody have an idea before I call dealer?
    I believe they are battery powered and transmit a frequency that's picked up by a receiver in the car. Gm has been having problems with them.
    There's a a tool (J 46079) to re calibrate the TPM sensors in each corner of the vehicle. This has to be done when you rotate the tires so the RCDLR sends the correct sensor location signal to the IPC and BCM computers in the car. This seems to be the only way to find out if the TPM sensor in the rim is bad or needs to be re calibrated or replaced.
    One problem there laser light, never said I didn't like the truck nor did I say I drove it. The truck belongs to my wife and even though there was problems with the truck she loves the way it drives and it's verseatility, besides the lease deal on the Torrent was off the wall way less than the Nox four years latter, better looking and less problematic.

I know they are the same, they are or were both built in Canada one of the better plants GM has or had, I'll bet you didn't know the the standard V6 engine in this truck is built in China. And I'll still bet the cv joints on that BU are shot.
    The TPM receivers are in your wheel valves, have it replaced and it will go away. By the way I built model airplanes when I was a kid.
    I know more about the Equinox than you think because some of my family members work at Cami Enterprise that's where the Nox is assembled by the way.
    The place is called Ingerstoll, a city 155 km. (95 milles) west of Toronto. You are right, the engine is built in China by Shanghai G.M. and it's a LNJ V-6. The transmission is foreign to it's manufactured in Japan, it's a Aisin AF33 and all the plastic components (interior) are from Taiwan. So... I'll say it's assembled in Canada.
    Everything arrives in Vancouver B.C. by ship and then put on trains all the way to Ingerstoll, Ontario.
    The 2008 "Equinox Sport" engine is manufactured in the U.S.
    Many nice changes (body and performance) for 2009 but the biggest changes (interior) are to come in 2010 models.
    I visited Cami Enterprise in 2006 and they are well build with love and care.
    Anything else you'd like to know?
    Yea, does T Horton's still make great doughnuts.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Sure does and the coffee at Tim's is great too.
    I noticed that a leading consumer magazine in its annual auto issue said that according to its poll (survey) results that the Equinox is one of the cars the survey responders would be least likely to repurchase.

I also noticed that Edmunds says nice things about the Equinox but never lists it as a competitor to look at when reviewing other crossovers (Rav4, CRV, Santa Fe etc.) But here people seem to be mostly happy with their Equinox (especially post 2005 models.) Based on my experience this is a good vehicle at a good price but it certainly does not get a lot of positive exposure.
    It's mazing at what certain magizines say are poor to great vehicles.

Consumer report had my 1990 beretta GT rated as average to below average , i still haveand drive it with 318 000 km and no major problems, engine ,tranny, suspension, with it and that's why we have purchased two more GM's in the past four years. Great value with low cost for maintenance and low operation cost. I don't see many 19 year old toyota's, honda's or hyundia's driving around in my city.I do see some Beretta's of the same age as mine though!!!

Every manufacture has it's pros and cons but if you do regular maintenance the Equinox will last longer time than the competiters. Just my experience's with GM cars.
    Almost the same thing here.
    My sister has a 1998 "Chevrolet Lumina" with well over 260,000 km and no big problems with her car either and she still loves it as much as the day she bought it.
    You must see all the Chevrolet Lumina on the road that are own by taxi companies around here and they surely do lots of millage.
    I've own G.M. products since 1977 and I still bought one in 2005 "Equinox" and my next will probably be a G.M. again.
    I also see a ton of Impalas and Trailblazers around with high miles on them. It is a shame that GM does not do a better job of advertising just how many cars they sell and how happy most people are with them. I think that part of the problem is that GM sells so many cars that there are always going to be more with problems just because of sheer numbers. Also the people with problem cars (of any brand) are more likely to make noise. So when you look in consumer magazines that rely on people to self report problems, or on internet comments about cars most people that do not have problems do not bother to report on their cars. Rather like the nightly news it distorts reality towards the negative.
    Yep the big GM cars like the Park Avenue and Bonneville are known for running forever as well. I still see lots of Luminas around. Also a fair amount of Grand Ams and Grand Prixs with well over 100,000 miles on them.
    Just came back from the auto show and GM did a good job with their vehicles. They had a 2010 Camero SS with the LS3 v-8 nice looking not enough head room a poor blind spots visibility.
    I was disappointed, no new 2010 Equinox and there and the excuse was that no one would buy the older model with the new 2010 model being displayed. I guess there is alot of 2009 models that aren't selling that well in my area of the country....... it would only cause more problems for the dealerships. Heck GM didn't even a V series model in any of their Cadallic's in western Canada to show ...wow..
    Yes there are alot of Impala's and Grand Am's a few Park Ave's on the road around here.
    Just read that the Five speed Asian Automatic uses GM DEXRON IV Transmission fuild not the new DEXRON VI tranny fluid.
    If the two are mix you WILL have transmission failure says service info . Interesting the Asian five uses an older version of tranny fluid IV, FYI.
    To check the level you have to unbolt the dipstick from the front of the tranny and then check the level. Seems GM doesn't want anybody that isn't mechanically inclined or who can't turn a wrench to service and check the fluid levels of their cars. ....interesting.