Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    My guess is those inter panels are black plastic and by painting them the junk including stones etc. will end up chiping the paint and in about a year it will look as bad if not worse.
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    Thanks for your advice but I saw your replies after the job was done. Let me tell you what I did (might help someone else in the future).
    Last night I went to bed thinking about that paint and what I could do about it.
    This morning I woke up with an idea...I brought a bucket and the water boiler outside and boiled some water. Put some plastic gloves on and with a sponge and boiling water I've wet the paint and with some old credit card and such I scrubbed the paint off.
    With some elbow grease and patience it worked. My hands are kind of reddish now but my inner fenders are back to there original state (almost) I've put a good coat of "armor all" and if you didn't know about the paint mess, you can't see it.
    Great, sometimes it is just better to sleep on a problem and then you can look at it from a fresh angle.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Lacquer thinner usually works the best even on plastic and metal no after effects, my guess is the gasoline was the culprit. I would also agree with the plastic spray paint or they also sell undercoating spray you can get at an auto parts store.
  • tmauldintmauldin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Chevy Equinox and a few months ago it started making this same popping noise when started. Would this also cause the service engine light to come on? We took it to AutoZone to have it tested to see why the light was on and I got a print out of several different things that had to do with the emissions system. Could it be the Catalytic Converter?
  • nannynanny Member Posts: 3
    I love my equinox but paint is a problem some spots fixed under warranty 3yrs,now paint is "falling Off. Now the axle for the awd fell off. im down to front wheel only very expensive to fix, only 78000 mile ??? Whats next. i got great mileage on bridgestone tires
  • neverbychevyneverbychevy Member Posts: 1
    I just took my 05 nox in for oil change and tire rotation. Coming out I had problems with the brakes. The ABS would activate. Making a spring that sprung type sound. And a whining coming from the front end. Then the ABS TC lights would come on periodicaly. Took it back to the chevy dealer, they said the ABS electrical sensor and harness needed to be replaced. And there is also a knocking noise when going over bumps. They said the stablizers both left and right needed replacing. I also attempted to say that they caused the problems because this was not happening before they rotated the tires. Could they have caused these problems? They also wanted to replace the harness, stating that they just recommend this to be done when replacing the ABS sensors. The cost was outrageous!!! I think this whole thing is fishy and I would not suggest any one purchase and equinox. I have had numerous problems and especially after the warranty is out. Does any one know if it is really hard to replace the harness? Or what the harness may cost?
    Get rid of it and Nanny get rid of yours to those problmes you are encountering are inherited in the 05/06 Nox.
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    Place your order for a 2010 equinox they should be at the dealers in late july.GM started building them in March 2009 at the same plant.
    I secound that motion.
  • byronwootenbyronwooten Member Posts: 1
    I have a '05 Nox. Recently it began losing power to the radio on an intermittent basis and only to the radio. When this happens the clock is not on, the radio will not play and the door/lock chimes do not work. A few hours or a few days later it will just start working again. However, if you don't start the car for a day or more while the radio is dead it will drain the battery dry. Any ideas?
  • staycee03staycee03 Member Posts: 8
    My 05 Nox has gone through 6 radios since I have owned it. Everytime it was supposedly due to an open circuit (whatever that means). I don't know if that would have anything to do with it, but don't feel bad, you aren't the only one with radio problems :)

Heck, right now mine is in the shop for coolant issues.....it is never ending.....too bad I like my car so much!
    What's going on here?
    Mine is a 05 to and I'm up to 4 radio replacements. I had problems with the C.D. player. Sometimes the disc wouldn't go in or if they went in they didn't play and a couple of time, once they were in they wouldn't eject. Also one of my friend that owns a Equinox had problems with his radio....C.D. always being stucked in the player, wouldn't eject.
    You must remember that all your replacement radio's were someone elses problem. The dealer sends it in and if the company who refurbishs them either don't find the real problem due to the dealers mechanic not properly dianosing it and the refurbisher don't see the problem and puts it back on the shelf for you to get. That is the reason I never buy anything that has been refurbished. Way back when I had a Gateway computer I had 6 replacement monitors before they finally gave up and sent me a new one and then I had to raise holy h-ll to get it.
    Why don't they install new radios in when they replace a unit?
    Then it would be over with.
    Making business with G.M. is so complicated these days.
    You pay for a new car, the replacement parts are on warranty and they installed 4 rebuilt radios. Go figure!
    By the way I see it G.M. are going to start building "Used Cars" now.
    (well they install used parts on a warranted vehicle) might as well build them with used parts.
    I would say 99% of electronics etc. are this way along with most mech. parts on a car. Lets face it, anything has problems so what does a dealer/retailer do with these parts, throw them all into a landfill or recycle them. Thats just the way things are with almost all small parts.
  • nannynanny Member Posts: 3
    Nice post :P
  • wifes07aveowifes07aveo Member Posts: 31
    Hi I recently purchased a 2008 equinox, and now i'm reading that many owners experience problems with the head gaskets. Most of the ones i've read pertain to the 2005 models and my question is if its the model or the fact that they are 4-5 years old. I love the truck and really hope these are first year aches.. The 3.4 has been around for a while you would think they already perfected it. No? I really wanted to 2010 but I needed now (family growing) and dealers want to get them off their lots for the 2010. over 6k off msrp... Please help, I need to know what i need to do in order to avoid the hg issue.
    Good luck.
    I drive a 2005 Equinox, bought it new and at 30 K I had a blown head gasket . I take care of my vehicles like you wouldn't believe, I could even say "I pamper them".
    I couldn't believe that this happened again.
    Before the Equinox I own a 99 Venture bought it new also (another 3.4 L engine) and at 36 K guess what.... a blown head gasket. Coincidence?
    If I'd bet the hell out of them I'd say it's my fault, but no, I'm a conservative driver not a lead foot, I drive my vehicle like it should be driven, follow the speed limits and look what happened twice.

I noticed the 07 Aveo in your name...Do you own a Aveo?
  • tomwalttomwalt Member Posts: 14
    I have an 07 NOX, since new, and it's been a good car. I had to replaced a rear wheel bearing under warrenty (for a whinning noise, it did not leave me stranded), but that's it. From what I understand the 2005 Nox was the 1st year out and it had/has a lot of issues (lots of risk in buying a 1st year design of any car).
    As far as the 3.4L engine, I had an Olds with the 3.4L engine and put 180,000 miles on it with no problems at all - my brother still drives it. There is always a chance you'll get a defect, and the poor souls that get burnt like to tell the world about it, but there are 10s of thousands of Noxs out there without makor issues. If you already have the car, follow the owner's manual maintenance requirements and take care of it and it should do you fine - with that 1% chance there is a defect.
  • waltermc66waltermc66 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 05 Equinox new. It currently has 67700 mi. on it and I baby the thing.

Back in March around 63000 mi I took it to the dealer and it needed new U clamps due to suspension problems. I know the suspension is weak, but it happened just after my car checked out great in the inspection and I had just gotten new tires. I got the new tires at Sams Club and I forgot to check about how they balanced the truck.

Yesterday! I heard something under me (metal) break and spin around. I have to take it back to the dealer. I am thinking it may be a bearing in the gear box. I know others have had problems with that also, was it very expensive to fix? The dealer that I go to is an hour away and I'm not looking forward to making a return visit. I am ready to get rid of this thing so we can buy a Subaru.
  • wifes07aveowifes07aveo Member Posts: 31
    Yes, my wife drove the aveo and i drove a colorado (reg cab). the family grew therefore I had to keep the aveo 07 and got the equinox for the wife. We got an 05 aveo for my mom and i believe its now at 40k miles and still running strong, and our 07 has now 27k and running like a champ. We are planning to get rid of both before hitting the 60k miles. but so far they both have performed very well. Many people think they are lemons but they have been good to us. (it takes me from a to b with little gas and they were very cheap)
  • tazzitazzi Member Posts: 23
    I'm considering a 2010 Equinox but was wondering what the average annual maintenance costs were.

I've never had a Chevy before so don't really know much about them in terms of how often for oil changes, changing brake pads, scheduled service, etc. Or how much these things cost at the dealerships.

Anyone willing to share?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the True Cost to Own tool.

And the Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you what a typical service should cost in your area.
  • rstellerrsteller Member Posts: 4
    I have a '05 Equinox, and the DRL resistor is cracked, can anyone tell me if there was or is a recall about this on this vehicle?

Also the light in my odometer has quit working what is the procedure to repair this?

:(
  • tazzitazzi Member Posts: 23
    Oohhh perfect! Thank you so much!
    The same year that I bought my 05 Nox (bought it new) all Equinox owners received a letter from GM saying that the DRL resistor had a lifetime warranty on it.
    It was actually a recall but on the letter they ask the owners to do a homemade test to see if everything was o.k.
    We didn't have to bother about getting an appointment for this unless something was wrong.
    It should be repaired "no charge".

About your light in your odometer....sorry, can't help.
    laserblue

do you have a referance to this letter so that I can show it to the dealer? They want to charge me for a new resistor.

Thanks in advance
    I made a call to GM customer Service and they have no record of this letter, f you could refeerence it for me I would be able to show them the proof, I am trying to fix my NOX.
    :(
    My letter says...7 years warranty or 112,OOO km ( 69,595 milles) whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at "no charge" on the (DRL) resistor.
    The letter was sent to me by:
    General Motors of Canada Limited
    1908 Colonel Sam Drive
    Oshawa, Ontario
    L1H-8P7

Canada Customer Service Centre e-mail: gmac.csc@gm.com
    U.S. customers: 1-800-200-4622
    U.S. Contact Us e-mail: http://www.gmacfs.com/ca/en/contact/introduction.html

Please call 1-800-GM-DRIVE (1-800-463-7483) if you wish to obtain information relating to GMAC products or services.
    Thanks laserblue!
  • clebo1clebo1 Member Posts: 78
    major problem with the vehicle,creaks like a haunted house.poor design and workkmanship...
    Yes they are,but the dealers has a list of service bulletins to fix it properly when pressed,otherwise nothing but problems with service,this especially includes,serpentine belt,brakes,coolant problems,and head gasket problems.do yourself a favor dump this vehicle for a foreign vehicle!!!
    STAY AWAY FROM THE CHEVY EQUINOX.IT'S THE WORTH PRODUCT CHEVY EVER MADE!!FOR FOREIGN AND STAY FOREIGN.IF THE US AUTO INDUSTRY CANNOT MEASURE UP TO QUALITY ISSUES WITH THEIR VEHICLES,THEN ALL SHOULD BE OUT OF BUSINESS.THE HYUNDAI AWD SANTA FE IS NICE.
    please don't as you are receiving information from a person who spent over $4000
    out of his own Pocket for a equinox.To put it mildly,it's a royal picec of American JUnk,just think the 55 chevy,61 chevy impala,the GTO.ForGET about purchasing the 2005-2010 Chevy equinox.RIDICULOUS PIECES OF JUNK.
    please note mr. bad wrench could not figure this one out,seems this just happens to this untested vehicle.I just looked over a Toyota hybrid Highlander,gorgeous vehicle.runs great.great warranty.weel constructed.not a piece of junk as the Chevy Equinox!!!I'm sick of Chevys,who in the goverrnment is going to bail me out,I need money to fix this hunk of junk.$3000 should keep this vehicle together for another 2 years,then i can dump it.Please do not buy a Chevy equinox, any year, any any kind ,for any type money!!!
    you are receiving information from a person who spent over $4000
    out of his own Pocket for a equinox.

If you spent $4K on your Equinox than you bought someone elses piece of junk that they ran into the ground. So quit your whinning and next time get someone with a little know how pick out your next car. There are thousands and thousands of happy owners of the Equinox. Sounds like you need to save your pennies and buy a new car next time. :P
    that what i thought, runs well when new,falls apart after 24,000 miles, I hope you got extended warranty...
    poor design and workmanship means you need to learn what to look for in a car. Instead of whinning about your lack of knowhow and got stuck with a well used piece of junk, quit badmouthing a car cause it could have just as easily been a Honda or Toyota and if you would spend a little time on the Toyota sites you would see people just like you crying too.
    Yes I Interacted , with Chevy customer Service at 1-800-222-1020 early for many of the problems I have had while it was under factory warranty, I was promised a lot of things from them in regards to sending the regional service manager out to check my vehicle.I am still waiting,Chevy opened up many case #'s on my behalf,but did nothing to help solve many of these problems.I have over a hundred pages of documentation for prove this,even e-mails from Chevy Customer Service Center.This is the worst Customer Service center I have ever encountered,they are worst than Microsoft and they have for years outsourced!!! In other word "They Promised me an Elevator;Then Gave me the Shaft".
    Would you like to see a stack of the the repair orders? give me your fax# and i will fill it up,also e-mails from Chevy Customer service center.If you make a good product I will give you credit for it,but if you make a piece of Junk I also will give you credit for an Inferior Product also.Please let me know on your first Mechanical Failure,I have had many. People wanted to know what type of Vehicle this was so I showed them all my paperwork.then they made their own decision which was totally negative.I wish you the best of luck with this Vehicle.You'll need it!!!! I just reeivd a letter from the NTSB on this vehicle.Would you like a copy of this also.give me your fax# and load it up with paper.Plese let me know when you areready to receive.Thank you..
    Please note this Fact.Chevy is bankrupt!!! Honda and Toyota companies are not.
    Drawn your own conclusion from the facts!!!!
    My good friend, this 2005 equinox is a lemon.I have over 100 pages of attempted repair plus my vehicle has been in the shop for one problem or another for approximately 50 days out of service!!!!
    GM DOESN'T WANT TO REPLY AND GIVE ANSWERS,THEY JUST BUILD FAULTY PRODUCTS.THEY OWE US THE AMERICAN PEOPLE 30 BILLIONS IN BAILOUT LOANS NOW ARE BANKPRUPCT.POSSIBLY THE CHINESE SHOULD TAKE THEM OVER,HOPEFULLY WE WILL GET A BETTER CUSTOMER ORIENTED COMPANY.GM HAS NO CLUE CONCERNING QUALITY CUSTOMER SERVICE AND BUILDING A VEHICLE YOU CAN RELY ON!!!
    Sir , you are probablyThere are probably thousands of Chevy Equinox Owners out there,but thera vehicle is probably in the repair shop.I made you an offer,Give me your Fax# and i will send your over everything from GM if you think this vehicle is that great!! Would you like to buy mine? Many New parts!!!
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    "IT'S THE WORTH PRODUCT CHEVY EVER MADE"

The worth product? GEZ
    his spelling requires a little bit of help. :shades:
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    I would certainly agree; several who post in this forum need to make use of the browser's, or Edumunds', spell checker. When using Firefox, and others, real time spell checking is a reality. But, then again, perhaps they need a grammar checker too!

For those who are complaining about the Equinox, somehow I feel that some posters may not actually own one, rather they're simply blasting the product. And, for those who don't know, the V6 commonly found in the Equinox is built in China, not the USA. So, for those who think Chinese products are superior, you may wish to reconsider.
    PLEASE EXPLAIN ME WHY SHOULD ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD BUY A CHEVY ESPECIALLY THIS ONE. THE 2005 CHEVY EQUINOX LT SUV IN MY OPINION IS THE WORST PIECE OF JUNK EVER MADE. I :lemon: HAVE NUMEROUS REPAIR BILLS AND OVER 50 RETURNS VISITS TO MANY CHEVY DEALERS ATTEMPTING TO FIX. IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE ME TO FAX THIS TRAIL OF HORROR FOR THIS VEHICLE AND IT'S MANY PROBLEMS PLEASE SEND ME YOUR FAX# AND I WILL FAX THIS LEMON PROBLEMS TO YOU.PLEASE HAVE ENOUGH PAPER IN YOUR FAX.CHEVY HAS IGNORED ME,STONEWALLED ME,REFUSED TO SETTLE BY USING ARBRITATION IN SETTLING THIS ONGOING MATTER. DO YOURSELF AS FAVOR,STAY AWAY FROM THE EQUINOX. NOT VERY RELIABLE!!!!!WORST THAN THE YUGO!!!