Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Why don't you go spread your garbage somewhere else. You bought a USED piece of junk that someone else abused and just because you don't know anything about buying a good used car we are all tired of listening to you cry over your own choosing. Go buy a Yugo and then you can go cry somewhere else. :P :cry:
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Your CAPS are becoming a major bore. Few, if any are interested in helping someone or feeling sorry for someone that shouts ALL THE TIME!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    PLEASE EXPLAIN ME WHY SHOULD ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD BUY A CHEVY ESPECIALLY THIS ONE.

Considering that YOU bought one I'd think you would phrase that a little differently! ;)

But seriously, typing in ALL CAPS tends to irritate people as you can see from some of the replies.

With respect to the problem you reported, ANY vehicle is subject to head gasket problems. I don't own a Chevy but I did recently have to pay for damage caused by exactly the same problem (yes, it's damned expensive!) but I wouldn't crucify the manufacturer over it. These things happen and used cars are probably a little more prone to these kinds of problems.

If your problem had occurred right after you bought the vehicle rather than four years after the fact, then you might have a case - but not against Chevrolet. The person who sold it to you would be the appropriate target. On the other hand, I have to ask, what exactly have you been doing with your NOX over that last four years? Surely, you had some clues that things weren't quite right?

In any case, good luck!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    celebo is right no matter how you look at it. I posted my laundry list many times in this blog and I got the 05 Nox brand new thank God it was a lease.
    As far as the caps go you seem to miss the point in a way this person is venting and the problem with a blog is that you cant yell out loud.
    As far as the caps go you seem to miss the point...

We get the point but CAPS are best used sparingly to have the greatest impact. Writing in ALL CAPS, as I said, tends to irritate people and makes them less likely to help out. But that's neither here nor there. I only recommend not typing in ALL CAPS for the reasons I've stated.

In any case, I am totally sympathetic with people who are plagued with car problems. I've had enough experience with them myself to know it's not much fun.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jnd1022jnd1022 Member Posts: 1
    Between 72 and 75 mph I hear a rattle or vibration. RPMs climb normally like in a passing gear. When I get to 76, RPM drop back to around 2000 and noise stops. When I slow down under 75 it starts again until the speed falls below 72. Anyone have any idea?

I took it to the dealer today. They said they cannot test the car above speed limit. Of course that did not sit well with me.

Thanks!
    John
    You expect the dealer to have one of his people speed? That's about as foolish as anything I've read for some time.

We know how much you respect others.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The speed limit on the freeway out here is 75. Maybe you need to try one of our dealers.
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    Take the technician with you for the test drive.
    You drive the Equinox then you can go over the speed limit as you wish and he will still be able to hear or fell the vibrations, rattles and noise sitting in the passenger seat just as well.
    What you want is that he detects the problem, so no matter who drives, you'll get the same result at the end.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds RPM related, as rpm drops when you hit 5th gear (overdrive)....so I'd say either exhaust rattle or CV joint vibration. Not wheels because the car stays at same speed even if RPM drops because you are in a higher gear.
  • rickylee59rickylee59 Member Posts: 1
    Hello and thanks if you can help.
    I have a 2005 Eqnx and recently have seen my milage drop noticably though I have never gotten better than 22mpg out of its V6 I was wondering if a change of wires and plugs alone should fix this. From the rear of the car at an idle you can hear a slight miss I have had the car for a year and it has 99000miles on it.
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    Yes you are in the major tune up range.

Try replacing the spark plugs first and checking the plug wires with an ohm meter, you can check the resistance of the wires when you are replacing the spark plugs. If you have a bad plug wire you should get a large difference in ohms compared to the other wires.
  • staycee03staycee03 Member Posts: 8
    I have posted on this forum previously about the issues I have had with my '05 Equinox. I have had my Dexcool antifreeze flushed and all hoses completely replaced 4 times in the last year and a half due to it turning black and chunky. The antifreeze is disolving my rubber hoses, and anything else rubber it touches. In fact as of yesterday it is back in again for the same issue. It was flushed and all hoses replaced less than 1 month ago!!!!! The dealership called yesterday and told me that they also had my radiator out and may need to replace it since it was clogged with the chunky antifreeze. I am paranoid because I have read that the headgaskets on the 05 Equinox's are rubber, and I know that will be the next thing to go. I am TOTALLY bummed, because I love the room in my Nox and love the ride but feel like I am driving a ticking time bomb. In addition, my 6th radio has just broken in it. It was replace 7 months ago but since I commute so far to work, I am outside of my 12k parts warranty and they will not replace it again, even though I pointed out the ridiculous amount of times it had to be replaced. I just don't know what to do with it now. I want to trade it in for a 2010 Equinox, but am paranoid that the new one may give me the same issues, plus I can't really afford it right now. Is it just me or do alot of people have issues with this vehicle? :sick:
    Why do you keep letting them put in the Dexcool antifreeze? Tell them just regular Prestone for your type of engine. So it needs changing every two years instead of 5 but less trouble.
    I have taken it to several different dealerships, thinking maybe one wasn't flushing it properly, and I have asked them to put the other in and they claim that they can not since it is "warranty" repair. At this point, I am not too concerned as I am just getting it repaired to trade in. My main concern is whether or not I should chance it with a 2010. I love my Nox aside from the 2 constant issues.
  • clebo1clebo1 Member Posts: 78
    Please note I heard about the Dexcool as there was a class action lawsuit against Gm that was somewhat secretive. Any damage which done to your vehicle if you produced the bill, you were to be reimbursed. the dealine I just round out was April 29,2009.This class action should be refiled.Dexcool I do not use as I found out this problem. My servicing dealer will not even consider it garbage antifreeze.
    Please don't even consider,Chevy and this Vehicle the equinox will leaving you handing.I have posted lemons on mine,until i get rid of it soon. GM does not care about building a quality vehicle at all. Let GM Stay bankrupt ct. i have written the Obama Administration and sent over 100 pages of documented evidence as to why American won't buy a Gm Product. It stays in the shop more than It does on the road.I am awaiting a response what used to be Government Motors!!!!
    What do you mean used to be Government Motors? I hate to pop your bubble but it is NOW Government Motors. Maybe you spent as much time on figuring out who Government Motors was as you did buying your car. Next time you buy, find some little old lady off the street who has some sense and let her pick one out for you. She sure as heck could do a better job. So why don't you go somewhere else as we are tired of listening to you whine over something you did to yourself. :P :shades:
    P.S. Congrats, at least this time you got your spelling right. Weellll, almost, Ok, some of it is OK. :sick:
    Issues i not the word,get the word ,anyone out there who are having any type of
    problem with this vehicle,we need to join forces and have a vehicle recall on this 2005,2006,or 2007, or 2008 chevy equinox.I ALSO REITERATE THAT A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT WILL IMPROVE OUR CHANCES IF GM FAILS TO FIX THINK CHEVY EQUINOX KLUNK OF JUNK!!!
    Go bother the KIA people for a while. :shades:
    There go those blasted CAPS AGAIN!!!
    Maybe he didn't know it. And you shouldn't pick on the spelling impaired. :confuse:
  • tazzitazzi Member Posts: 23
    Clebo - you don't like the Equinox, we get that. You bought a 2005 that had issues, we get that too. It's not unheard of for the 2005 & 2006 models to have had problems - some minor, some major. We know that too. I wouldn't buy a 2005 or 2006 model either.

That doesn't mean that everyone had the same issues as you or that 2010 models will have major issues.

I understand your frustration, I really do. I bought one of first Freelander's and trust me, they had issues. :sick:

That being said, the 2010 Equinox is on my short list. And I know I would appreciate it if you would lay off of the All Equinox's In the World are Evil rhetoric. At least until we get some real world info about the 2010's. If it turns out they are as bad as the 2005's then rant away :P
    Sounds like clebo1 never was taught about mean averages in math class. When you have say 100 car and the mean average number of minor defects fall in the average range of some thing like about 80% and 13% have very little too no defects. The last 7% of the average will have major defects in the car . Like maybe someone on the engine assemble line was pissed off with the company for some reason and decided not to put oil rings in two of the six cylinders when the engine was being assembled. Thus a major defect occurs but is only in the 7% of all vehicles that will have major defects.

The average life span are engineered into every component in your car . It gives the company an idea how long things will last before something major or minor happens .

Maybe celbo1 should go and blow 80 grand on a Mercedes suv and see how many problems he would get with it. Give it a rest!
    One of the car mags had a article on a high end Lexus that when parked kept opening all the windows including the sunroof. They had it in a number of times and no one could figure out the problem at least at press time. The car got a wash a few times do to rain while parked and I don't know what ended up being wrong cause I read about it at the barbershop. So any car can have problems but just think a $60K+ car could really make you have a bad day.
    EVIDENTLY IT'S APPARENT YOU WORK FOR CHEVY OR GM,YOU ARE ONE OF ITS' MOST STARK DEFENDERS. I DOUBT IF YOU KNOW A PIECE OF JUNK AS COMPARED TO A QUALITY VEHICLE ,IF YOU DONT MAYBE I CAN SELL YOU THE WHAT'S LEFT OF THE CONCORDE. KEEP YOUR CHEVY EQUINOX AND LET ME KNOW WHEN IT BREAK DOWN!!! THAT IT'S MOST CONSISTENT TRAIT. BREAKDOWNS!!!!
    PLEASE FILE A COMPLAINT WITH NATIONAL TRANSPORTAATION SAFETY BOARD,AND THE FTC UNDER AUTOMOBILES. THEY ARE AWAITING COMPLAINTS FROM GOOD PEOPLE LIKE YOU. GOOD LUCK..
    UNLESS YOU HAVE WALKED THE WALK,THEN YOU SHOULD NOT TALK. HAVE INTERACTED MANY SERVICE MANAGERS AT GM DEALERS,I DID NOT INSULT THEM,JUST THIS PRODUCT THE CHEVY EQUINOX. THEY HAVE TRIED TO HELP BUT THEIR HANDS ARE TIED BEHIND THEIR BACKS BY GM-CHEVY DIVISION. THEY ARE GOOD PEOPLE,I WISH THE CHEVY EQUINOX WAS HALF AS GOOD AS THEM. DID OUR GOVERNMENT LEND THEM OVER 30 BILLION DOLLARS!!! REFRESH YOUR MEMORY!!!WOULD YOU LIKE SOME OF THE NAMES OF THE MANY MECHANICS AND SERVICE MANAGERS AND THEIR PHONE NUMBERS WHO HAVE TRIED TO HELP AND HAD TO ADMIT TO ME PRIVATELY THE CHEVY EQUINOX IS A Lemon.I WILL NOT ENDANGER THEIR JOBS BY POSTING THIS.
    If I worked for GM I'd find a way to sue you for posting all this cr-p about one of their cars you bought because you don't have enough sense to learn how to buy a quality used car. So quiet whinning and take your sob story somewhere else or I may sell you some ocean front property I own in Kansas. :P :cry::cry:
    Please Note I have had too many to list. brakes, serpentine belts,pulleys tensioners,overheating,air bubbles in coolant lines.I could write a book about my problem with gm-chevy equinox.
    Maybe besides taking a class on how to buy a car you also need a class in how to pick out a good mechanic. Air bubbles in the coolant lines comes from a worthless mechanic. :cry::cry::cry: Now go fry some fish someplace else we all know what the real problems are with your car. YOU :P
    Hey this are MINOR things that you posting about . A serpentine belt that runs over pulleys mounted on the engine to drive many accessiories like ( alternator, water pump, power steering) . Yes it has a tensioner to keep the belt tight so all these things work together. If the brakes are not up to your quality there is always the after market to improve on such things

Go ahead and write a book listing all your problems and see if anyone buys it. It wouldn't be worth the paper to print it on.
    Without a doubt he's challenged. GEZ
    Well, they still have my car :( but.....they have flushed and cleaned out the radiator because evidently that was never done before, all of the times that they flushed the antifreeze. So...maybe that contributed to the other times it was contaminated, it was just re-cycling the old gunk from the radiator around. I realize EVERY vehicle has issues, foreign or domestic models. In addition, I know to usually avoid the first model year of a car so that they have time to work out any "kinks" they may end up having. That is why I am weary of the 2010, even though it isn't the first year, it is the first with the new engine and new design. However it looks sweet, and the fuel economy on it (realistic or not) is a great asset. I guess I will just have to check them out and maybe wait to see if they have any rebates or incentives anytime soon to decide....
  • wifes07aveowifes07aveo Member Posts: 31
    clebo1. I don't post much but you seem to really have a problem with your equinox. I would suggest to get rid of it even if you have to give it away, if its that bad it's not worth your sanity (which in my opinion you are on the edge of loosing). Hopefully you have better luck next time and if not hopefully its not a equinox so that we don't have to see your multiple postings. BYE good luck
    There is so such thing as a good mechanic,the computer tells them what is wrong and they go from there,in fact this vehicle has been to 2 different chevy dealers with 7 mechanics including the Service manager have looked at this problem.Still no solution Would you know a Good Mechanic if he stared you in the face?I doubt It. So if you find a Good ASE GM Chevy Certifed Mechanic,let me know and I will take it to him with your recommendation!!! THEY ARE EXTINCT SUCH WAS THE CASE FOR GM...
    PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR,GET RID OF THIS EQUINOX,THE HORRORS OF THIS VEHICLE GETS WORSE FROM MILE TO MILE,WEEK TO WEEK,MONTH,MONTH TO MONTH.I HAVE ALL MY PROBLEMS I've HAD TO THE FTC UNDER AUTOMOBILE AND LET THEM DEAL WITH GM AND THIS LEMON OF A VEHICLE!!!
    Your continual use of caps shows if anything a lack of common sense. Junk your junk and move on.
    If you want to buy this hunk of Junk then by amm means do so..But when i went to check this vehicle I had 2 qualified ASE Retired certified Mechanics with over 60 years experience and they really gave this Equinox a thorough going over during the test drive. Upon returning the vehicle they did not mice words so Their rating was one of Junk SUV status. do whatever you want,it's your money!!!Good luck!!!
    Maybe you should buy a bicycle at they don't require much in the way of anything to use or fix and they are very easy to see if you are getting a good one. You've out lived your usefulness here so go somewhere else. :cry::cry::cry:
    Good idea ROFL
    Why do you own a junkyard and would like to buy?,if you you e-mail me at equinoxjunk@yahoo.com.This website will be up and running shortly.I only speak the facts,what are you an English teacher,evidently you know very little about the Automotive industry or basic repair. General Question for you on the VIN# what does each letter and number represents on the Equinox?I. shall await your reply.
    If 2 certified mechanics with 60 years of experience told you that the Equinox was a piece of "junk" why did you buy it?
    Can't trust nobody?
    Is it the Equinox's fault if you're stuck with it? (unless it followed you home)?
    My Equinox is a 2005 with 50,000 miles and no major repairs on it and for your information "I LOVE IT" ..... and not thinking of getting rid of it.
    My advice....trade your Nox for a bicycle or if you can't afford it a good pair of "running shoes".
    Can't go wrong with Adidas brand.
    This guy is a joke as he'll find a problem with shoes too even if told by 2 pros not to buy them. nuff' said.
    My 2005 Equinox has this annoying squeaky sound coming from the brake pedal every time I press on it. Sometimes more, sometimes less and sometimes not at all.
    Nothing to do with the brake system, it's really the pedal that makes that sound.
    Could this be dangerous or it's only the pedal mechanism that needs to be lubricated?
    I looked under the dash and can't see how I can lubricate this and I don't want to spay anything there because of the wires.
    Anyone else had this squeaking sound coming from there brake pedal?
    And of course we all know you aren't an English Teacher. I also get a BIG, BIG kick (sorry everyone but I needed all caps) at your statement where you say "evidently you know very little about the Automotive industry or basic repair because we all know you sure don't. :cry::cry::cry: :P :shades:
  • wifes07aveowifes07aveo Member Posts: 31
    In May of 09 I bought an 08 base model equinox no extras brand new for 16,999 and for my trade in I got exactly what kbb good condition value states. I keep thinking I could have done better. Was that deal ok? CLEBO1 PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND!!!
    Why don't we take that question over to Chevrolet Equinox Prices Paid and Buying Experience and stick with maintenance and repair here. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • dantay112dantay112 Member Posts: 7
    I think you got taken just purchasing an equinox. Did you not sit here and read all the complaints that people have with these things? I just got rid of my 06 equinox and I couldn't be happier. I went into the Jetta TDI
  • tomwalttomwalt Member Posts: 14
    Thanks tidester. This bickering has polluted the site for quite awhile now - would/can you PLEASE (oops; cap locks) filter this junk out.
    P.S. My 07 Nox is great at 30K miles and running strong.