Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kyfarmguykyfarmguy Member Posts: 1
    Hey Radboiler,

I wish I was replying to say I have a solution for you but sadly only another problem. Our 2005 Equinox is doing the very same thing and I was wondering (and hoping) if you had discovered a solution.

My father n law is a mechanic and has tried several things but the bucking and jerking continues. It's not all the time and is so inconsistent that it's difficult to trace down. The only thing we have not replaced is the computer on the trans but I've noticed that I can put the car in park or neutral and it is still idling sporadically and sometimes the engine even shuts off which is very bad when we are sitting at a red light..

Anyway if you ever find a solution and can reply back and let me know I would greatly appreciate it ...
  • clebo1clebo1 Member Posts: 78
    Enough is not enough until these hunbks of hunks are fixed.i am still tracking you past assocaition with GM.You seem to be the only one who is defending this vehicle obviously you must be employed by them.!!!! :lemon:
  • dunzydunzy Member Posts: 1
    hi kris, my name is jim and i am posting for the first time and hopefully helping you and others. i have a neighbor who called me over to help with a 2005 chevy equinox. he called me because i had a similar problem with a 2004 chevy blazer in which my hatch/ gate would not open and i had to break the inside panel to access the latch then went to junkyard for a new panel. he however had better luck than me with his hatch. when i got there he took the open palm of his hand and tapped on the lower end of the hatch while hitting the remote unlock button numerous times. call it chance or dumb luck but the hatch did open. he had a replacement latch mechanism in his possesion and we replaced it immediately. kris as far as the manual release for the lactch if you go to a parts store and ask to see a latch you might see a ring style piece connected to the mechanism, at least this is where the 2005 one was. however i dont think it is accessible without bending back the inside panel which could result in breaking it. last resort options only. as far as fuses i am not sure. sometimes you can call automotive parts stores and they will help you diagnose problems. hope this helps. jim
  • fig79fig79 Member Posts: 1
    I just traded in my 2003 expedition of which never left me stranded or had any major issues just getting up there in mileage and fuel expenses. I found a 2006 Equinox at a dealer down the street ,test drove it and liked it enough to purchase it. I did some general research on the reviews before I bought it and seen pretty much the same stuff over and over again with ignition,brake and overheating issues but never the less took the chance. I have owned it for 6 days and last night at my kids baseball practice it left me stranded. NO START!!! Either ignition or security lock out at 60k miles. I disconected the battery for 60 seconds and it started. Once I got home it wouldnt start again, but this morning it did. It is on the tow truck on the way back to the dealer. I also noticed the day I bought the car it had a wet spot on hte drivers floor right at the bottom of the A pillar and a week later its still there???????
  • toolmanmarvtoolmanmarv Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem on my 2007 Equinox about six months ago. Authorized chevy repair center said it needed a new "shift kit". Cost was about $350 total, but no more problems.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning toolmanmarv,

I'm glad to hear that the repair done by your service center has resolved the ignition problem you had been experiencing!

Many more happy miles,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • kathyh_ab_cndkathyh_ab_cnd Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2006 Equinox LS (FRNT wheel drive) two years ago from a Chevy dealer. It had 38,000 km on it. I thought it was an excellent deal...was I wrong!

Complete disappointment! I've had to replace the blower motor ($1,000 repair at the dealer I bought it at) and now I'm not only having to replace the air blend temperature door ($1,707 at another dealer) but also the thermostat AND the drive shaft tower assembly! For a car that had that low km on it I'm surprised at all the repairs needed!!! In two years I'll have spent over $4,000 on repairs and new tires (as they, for some reason, were completely worn too).

I'm curious of how a drive shaft tower assembly can be coroded within 6 years and with so little milage. I'm curious of why GM won't do a recall on the air blend temperature door (as it seems to be an extremely common problem) and I'm curious how a GM dealership could sell a car with so many issues!! Optimum vehical?! I think NOT!

I've always bought GM vehicals and am completely disappointed not only with the Dealership but with this car specifically. I've driven other years of the Equinox (hence why I bought one) and really like how she handles and the comfort. I'd like to keep her but honestly if anything else goes wrong I'll be living in a box so it won't matter!
  • dcrabbdcrabb Member Posts: 3
    I have been dealing with nothing but issues with my Equinox! GM acts like there is nothing they can do because they can't connect all the issues as one problem. I want a replacement vehicle! I bought my car in 2010 brand new...it has been in the shop several times. I had to send the dealership an article to get the to actually figure out the problem. The first time I took it in they said it was a sensor so they reset it. Few days go by and the car is having problems again. I take it in a second time and they stated that it was a timing chain and my oil was really black. I just had a oil change the week before so I found that odd. They said change your oil more often...I was very confused because I just had it done so I knew there was more to it. A few months go by and my check engine light starts to come on and my car is again back to doing the same thing it's done in the past. The engine revs up when I'm stopped, MIT shakes, when I turn it off the car stays running several seconds, etc. so here we go again I take the vehicle back in. This time they say your car is no longer under warranty and it's an O2 sensor. I said I have had it and I want the codes my car is pulling. They gave me P0172 and P0300. Red flag!! That's codes for fuel pump and engine misfire. After some research I found several articles online about the equinox having issues where the fuel leaks into the oil...hints why my oil is black after just having it changed. I fault with them to take a look further and when they did they called me and said they had good news that fuel is leaking into my oil and that is covered under warranty! Ok that's great that it was under warranty but seriously...I had to send an article for them to solve the problem. I have been fighting with GM because I no longer want my Equinox! It's been nothing but trouble and on top of it my heated seats just stopped working! I recommend anyone looking to get a 2010 Chevy Equinox to rethink their decision! This vehicle is the worst vehicle I have ever owned!! And GM won't do anything to help you out!
  • equinox10equinox10 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2010 equinox; 50+k; and started having problem of power of car. Can not go no matter how much gas you give. Also start and runs with lot of noise. DEALER changed cam selonoide still the same problem. infect it stopped middle of the road and shaking like crazy. I bring home and checked there was no oil and oil indicator shows oil level is ok. also oil life also shows 35%. I did went to oil change at 3k before and dealer associate says u don't need it because it is still 70% life. You want to do it about 5% or show.

This car has multiple problems. Air bag, gas millage, noisy start and run, water condense in engine, oil consumption and indicator is not correct and so on. Now i am taking this car to dealer see what happens.
    We hope your appointment with your dealership goes well, equinox10. If you would like for us to follow up on anything with your visit, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • rsills82rsills82 Member Posts: 3
    I have been having issues with my 2006 Chevrolet Equinox as of the last 10 months or so (Only finding out 2 weeks ago, there was a Technical Service Bulletin for the exact issue I've been having, extending the warranty for the part (not by enough for me apparently), 7+ months AFTER having the issue start on me.

Basically the classic blend door issue, where I now have no heat in my car. So when my wife takes my son to school, and then goes to work in her vehicle, the window now doesn't de-fog properly, as well as it being as cold in the car as it is outside (Sometimes even colder, because the only way to keep the window from constantly fogging up is to keep the cold air blasting on the windshield.., even then it doesn't work well). I have taken it to a local dealership, as well as have a case open with GM, but I was informed this morning that they will not help me, and I cannot afford to pay the $1,500 repair bill they are charging for it all.

So it's either I get help fixing it, or I will be trading in my car and never looking at GM as an option again. And to think, I was originally thinking of trading this car in later on for my wife for a brand new Equinox or Traverse.. I think I'm going to second-guess that one now. If this didn't cost so much (Labor time anyhow), I bet they would have recalled it, as it's a wide-spread issue, as well as being a safety hazard.
    rsills82,

If you wanted to forward us either the last 8 digits of your VIN or your case number (71-**********), we could check into this further to see if there are any alternative options.

I don't have the last 8 of the VIN handy right this second, but I have heard back from senior representatives (Including a regional GM person), as well as Sunset Chevrolet here in Sumner, Washington that they won't do anything to it, even know it is a defect, not a wear and tear part.
  • leon82leon82 Member Posts: 1
    My wife's 06 equinox just lost the heat a couple of weeks ago. after checking the internet i called the gm customer service line and found there is an extended warranty for this for certain vin numbers. as long as the hvac system works( vent/floor/def) selector but no heat comes from the vents and under 10 years 120k. her car qualifies.

I can hear the door actuator move with each click of the temp selector, meaning the actuator has traveled beyond its intended range and broke the plastic drive lug off the door causing it to stick in the last position selected.

Its at the dealer with 119,818 miles on the clock. hopefully they will fix it and not try to claim its not covered
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    leon82,
    We hope that all goes well with your wife's Equinox. As you are already working with our Customer Assistance Center it is best that I allow you to continue working with your current agent to avoid any confusion, but if you had any immediate questions I'm available!

Yeah that's the weird part.. I was diagnosed at a local 5 star, they said that's what the problem is with ours. Our heat doesn't work, but it makes no noise at all when I switch between warm/cold, it's as if it just doesn't work.. so that makes me want to check out and see if it might be something with the gauge being stuck closed or something maybe.. hmm. It stopped working almost a year ago (When we were below the mileage part), but GM took too long to post the service bulletin extension for the whole thing, and when i recently worked with several reps from GM, I was told that I was SOL. The final dude on the phone was falling asleep halfway through the conversation, not even paying attention to what I had to say. The only one who went out of their way at all, or seemed to care one bit was the first guy that I worked with (Vince).

I will never buy a chevrolet product again, this should be a mandatory recall, as at night time when it's cold outside, or anytime it rains, we can't drive our car. My wife has to take our Autistic son to school in the mornings, and we have to figure out other arrangements now because of this, and because of his care, we can't afford to spend $1,500+ that they quoted me to fix the problem.
  • ron_at_ncfdron_at_ncfd Member Posts: 2
    My wife has a 2005 AWD Equinox, I just noticed a vibration at just above 70 mph, stops below that. Jacked it up and found the driver side rear CV joint has play in the differential housing (the joint is OK). Are there replaceable bearings in the housing? Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    you might be barking up the wrong tree here. First off, get a proper tire balance. I don't think your vibration is axle related, as that would cause vibration at a much lower speed, and it would not "go away' now and then. The play you feel might be another problem, or could be just normal wear and tear.
  • ron_at_ncfdron_at_ncfd Member Posts: 2
    Shiftright, thanks but its not tires. The 1 inch of play in the differential housing and the CV joint, shake in the floor (rear of vehicle) and not in the steering wheel points me to the read end. My question is here because I have not found a GOOD parts breakdown of the differential. Is the CV joint/diff connection supported by replaceable bearings, sleeve or just an aluminum housing that's shot.
    Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited November 2012
    Hmmm...I searched ALLDATA but I can't find a good blow-up of the rear diff either. It's interesting that they don't list "vibration" as a typical symptom.

Before we dig into that, have you checked the support bushing for the differential housing?

how about the driveshaft, for a u-joint problem?
  • cjink422cjink422 Member Posts: 1
    My car is costing me a fortune!! I took it in for hesitating just over the 100,000 warranty. They told me it was the transmission but fixed the erg valve and stabiltrak for around 380.00. I could not afford transmission at the time so they told me to keep an eye on temperature. A few months later I got a light that said engine hot/ac off? I took it in and they told me it needed head gaskets! 2500.00. I got that fixed and they told me my transmission still might go. A couple weeks later my engine light came on so I took it in and it needed plugs and wires! 350.00. I still owe about 5000.00 on the car and it isnt worth anything for me trade it in now. I am stuck in a car that I have to repair or I won't have a car. Anyone else have these problems?
  • karend2karend2 Member Posts: 1
    Grrrr. This happened to me last night. The vehicle shuts off, but the alternator is still running, so it's dead this morning. Nice!

When I googled the problem I see many other folks have had the same thing happen to their Equinox. Unfortunately, I can not find where Chevrolet indicates a specific solution to fix the problem, just a bunch of customer service replies to posts on blogs that they hope customers resolve their problem.

So it appears dealer mechanics are randomly coming up with their own ideas, such as battery connection cable, shifter mechanism, ignition switch.

I would really like to know the correct repair so when I have it towed to the shop this morning it gets fixed correctly and never happens again.
    :mad:
    cjink422,
    Do you have any current concerns on the Equinox? We're sorry to see that you've had to make so many repairs to it recently.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Plugs and wires are regular maintenance items with the mileage that you had indicated. Although the head gaskets are an issue with GM's OHV V6 engines on the 2007 NOX, if the Dexcool coolant had not been changed, then the failure to change the coolant could have led to the head gasket problems. The Dexcool is supposed to be a longer life coolant, but changing it every 2 or 3 years is worth the added maintenance cost if it reduces head gasket problems. Good luck.
    Any updates on the visit yesterday, karend2?

• 336r1336r1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2012 Chevrolet Equanox with a 6 cylinder engine. I presently have 19,000 miles on the vehicle and i enjoy the smoot ride except for one thing...The vehicle hesitates when acclerating. This common problem mostly happens at highway speed when attempting to pass another vehicle and is very dangerous. I know this is not a transmission problem, but a software problem with the vehicle. I belive GM knows there is a problem with this vehicle, but is waiting for more complaints until they design a software update on the vehicle...I also use high test fuel and this has not rectified the problem. I told the dealer of the issue and they ran a diagonis to no avail...
    336r1,
    If you would like for us to document that you're having this concern and check into this with the dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).
  • lilourililouri Member Posts: 1
    waiting for towtruck as I WRITE THIS SEVERAL TIMES HESITATED TO START THEN THIS am WOULD NOT START could not remove key and even when key off would make noisy .Hope this can easily be repaired
    Lilouri
  • trina10trina10 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having problems with jerking and bucking of my vehicle. It has been to the repair shop and a tune-up was advised. I had the tune up...the problem has continued..... This car has had problem after problem: wheels, air bag, window, radio,. I bought it with approximately 18,500 miles and now it has 43,000. I still owe payments, and seemingly monthly costly repairs along with it. I'm headed back to the shop, and see what they recommend now.....what can I do...Oh by the I have a worthless Caremaxx Extended Warranty...They come up with all the problems that can't be fixed under the warranty before they address the real problem....disgusted
    trina10,
    Are you working with a GM service center or a different facility? We'd be happy to check into this further with a dealership if you like - let us know!
  • deanne711deanne711 Member Posts: 2
    Throttle body problems at 51, 000 miles. Parts aren't readily available when a problem is discovered.
  • ddot519ddot519 Member Posts: 1
    It seems my Tach is not working. It sits at 4500 when engine is turned off. Is this the instrument cluster bad or is there something else that would be wrong.
  • bestmommybestmommy Member Posts: 2
    The temp gauge on my 08 Equinox is facing the fuel gauge. It overheated last year on me without warning. I had the thermostat changed and the sensor and a year later, it's still the same. The check engine light is not on but I'm concerned that it will overheat again without warning. I travel to PA from VA often. Took it to dealership and basically they had no idea why this happened and quoted me $1700 to fix "other" issues. Another problem, it has hesitation when accelerating. This has been happening for the past year also. Also, the headlights have moisture in them causing the truck to fail state inspection and Chevy tried to charge me $800+ a piece to replace them. Called the District Manager and was told basically it's my problem. I'm so frustrated with this car. When it rains it smells like mildew, like water is getting in some how. I've only owned Chevy made vehicles but after this, I'm done.
  • blondie27blondie27 Member Posts: 1
    I am actually having the same issue with mine I just bought, I was looking online and I seen that someone said that it was a recall on the vehicle, I called my local dealership and they looked up the recall and are going to fix the car for free, You may need to call yours to get yours looked at as well hope this helps.
  • bestmommybestmommy Member Posts: 2
    Do you know what the recall was on?
    bestmommy,
    If you would like for us to check your vehicle for any open recalls, we would be happy to do so. Please email us the last 8 digits of your VIN to us at socialmedia@gm.com.
  • magoonusmagoonus Member Posts: 1
    I see this is a common problem with a Chevy. I have a 2007 Chevy Equinox. I have had hesitation problems around 60 -90km. When I hit 80 the rpms drop down and it bogs, especially on hills. I have taken it to countless mechanics (both Chevy and small garages). They have changed the spark plugs and wires and housings. The problem persists. The latest dealer says it's my overdrive and just to step on the gas...my problem with this is everywhere I go the speed limit is 80km. "Sorry officer but my car just won't let me drive 80km". I'm sure that will go over well. I have had this problem since I bought this car. The CV joints and ball bearing have all been done, changed the tires (all 4), spark plugs, tuneup, wires...still a problem. I am reading it maybe the computer...do I have to take this to chevy? If that's the case i doubt it will ever get fixed. They were the worst and treated me like I was wasting their time.
    Hi magoonus,

I am very sorry you had a bad experience. I would like to look into this for you. Can you private message me your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, approximate mileage on your vehicle, and dealer you are involved with please? :) My email is social media@GM.com "Attn Crystal" Look forward to hearing from you:-)

Crystal L - GM Customer Care
  • lilchinglilching Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 Equinox purchased two weeks ago with no mileage on it. The front passenger door will not open after the doors unlock. From the inside of the car it takes two or three tries to open it. Sometimes this happens from the outside as well. Is this a known issue and any luck fixing it?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you enter "door" in the Search this Discussion box near the top of the posts, you will find some other posts where people have had door lock issues.

I assume it's under warranty so you may want to keep close track of your dealer visits in case it keeps happening.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Hhmm I might wonder if the door is really unlocking on first attempt. On my 11' GMC version I believe the default from factory is to unlock ONLY the drivers door with first click on fob. There is a programmable option (going through menu) to unlock all doors on first click. ( I believe hitting the button twice unlocks all doors)
  • alisamanalisaman Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with the 2013 Equinox. I have only had my car for 49 days, and already it has been to the dealer 3 times for the same thing. My a/c stops working, temperature gauge buries in the "C" location, check engine light as well as the oil light come on. When I shut the vehicle off, the coolant fan continues to run for a good 20-30 minutes. They have bled the a/c line, changed a sensor, changed the main computer, but this continues to keep happening. I have called Chevy directly, but was given the run around...was told that it isn't an issue unless I was without my car for 30 days or more...I have been without it for 11 days out of the 49 that I have owned it. But they don't see an issue?! Would like to get to the bottom of this issue. It seems that it has no get up and go either...so something is going on with performance as well.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lemon laws vary from state to state. Some states give the dealer three chances to fix a problem, other states give the dealer 4 or 5 chances to fix it. The laws usually read "3 attempts OR 30 days out of service". You may want to check with your state's AG or consumer protection office and get the details in case you decide to go that route.

A lot depends on the dealer - if you have another one in your area, you may want to let their service department give it a shot.

Think You've Been Stuck With a Lemon?
  • daughtryfan1daughtryfan1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought the car used 11/2008. A few months after having the car went to turn car off, took keys out of ignition when all of a sudden my radio started turning on/off, headlights and dash lights start blinking and the engine tried to turn over. Luckily my husband was in the car so he witnessed it. Took it to the dealer who thought I was crazy and thank god it did the same to them. They replaced a power control module and told me that it should fix the issue. Well since 2009 the car has been doing it on and off. The last time was today. I had my phone with and recorded myself taking the key out and the engine trying to turn over and the dash lights flashing. It even kept running when I took the key out. I've noticed it does it when it rains or if I do not hear a "click" noise after I take the key out.

I had the head gasket replaced about a year ago (45,000 miles) with the assistance of Chevy and mentioned this issue to them. Of course Oscar from Chevy told me there is nothing he can do about it. Unfortunately I still owe on the car or I would have taken care of the issue and traded the piece of crap in on anything other than a Chevy product!
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    edited September 2013
    Good Morning Alisaman:

I have been following the "Equinox issue," because I almost purchased a new 2010 4 cylinder Equinox in 2010. ----- (I purchased a 2010 LTZ Malibu 4 cylinder. This is a "non direct injection fuel engine!" ----- The equinox has a "direct injection engine.")

I though that GM had solved the problems with the Equinox for 2013, and I was going to take a hard look at the vehicle, but GM seems to have dropped the ball BIG TIME again! ----- These are on-going problems! ---- What are the engineers at GM doing between "coffee breaks" and "meetings at the water cooler?"

If I owned this vehicle I would be VERY professional, and call Chevrolet Customer Service, and open up a "case number" that describes all the issues that are related to this vehicle. ---- (Explain to the representative that you expect the vehicle to be repaired in a timely / professional manner, and since it is under warranty you need a loaner vehicle.) ----- I would then make a service appointment with the selling dealer for service. ---- I would be up front with the service adviser and give him / her the case number. (Be professional to everyone that you speak to with regards to this issue.) ---- When leaving your vehicle for service make it VERY clear that after the repair has been made you want someone at the dealership to drive the vehicle to be sure that the problems have been resolved. ---- (I had a "hesitation issue" going up a hill with the 2010 - 2.4 Malibu engine, and it was a "software issue!") ---- This is how I resolved the issue! I only owned the vehicle for a few months, and they knew that I was headed to the "Lemon Law" in my state if the issue was not resolved. ----- My vehicle now has 47,000+miles and it operates properly. ----- (I am a maintenance person, so I change my oil and filter at the "selling dealer" every 2,500 miles, and I use a fuel additive at every fuel fill up! ----- I DO NOT believe in 5,000 mile oil and filter changes. ---- I use a fuel additive because the gasoline sold today is "dry" in terms of lubrication, and fuel pumps and fuel injectors need some lubrication along with the upper cylinder of the engine. ------ The two products that come to mind are "Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricate, and / or Marvel Mystery Oil. ---- YES, the manufacture does not recommend these products, but I have seen the results of the use of these products. ---- When I first picked up my new Malibu the engine sounded life a "4 cylinder American coffee grinder," ---- now it is "smooth" and "quiet." I do not use oil between oil and filter change intervals.) ----- Best regards! ------- Dwayne
    Your problems could be related to an ignition switch. ------ I had a new loaded 1995 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee, --- (THE VEHICLE FROM HELL), --- that had most of your symptoms, and it came down to a bad ignition switch. The switch was changed and the problems went away! ---- (I WOULD NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER JEEP PRODUCT!) ---- Poor quality products, and VERY poor dealer service!---------- Dwayne
  • mig66mig66 Member Posts: 3
    I did go with the EBC drilled and slotted rotors and brake pad kit and have not had a problem with them since I put them on over a year and a half ago.
  • skiziksskiziks Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    Had our 2013 Equinox in for fuel in the oil. They replaced the high pressure fuel pump. We too thought that problem was solved in 2012.
    This week it's going back for a fuel module replacement. On cold start-ups we here a popping sound from the fuel tank. It goes away in a about 15-20 seconds but it should not be doing it.
    After that repair I'll be doing another oil analysis to confirm that the fuel is or is not still entering the crankcase and diluting the oil.
    This problem started in 2010 with the Equinox! ---- What is wrong with the engineers at GM? ------ Do and oil analysis ASAP! ---- Watch your oil consumption! ---- With fuel in the oil you may have already damaged your timing chain assembly, the piston rings and cylinder walls, and the main & camshaft bearings. ---- You may now have an engine that is an "oil pumper!" --- DO NOT let the engine run low on oil. Keep oil with you to "top off the oil level as necessary!" ----- Contact GM and open up a case number on this vehicle. ------- If you have additional problems with this vehicle activate the "Lemon Law" in your state ASAP! ------ Get some "legal advice" ASAP from a Lemon Law Attorney! ----- THIS IS SIMPLY UNBELIEVABLE! ----- All the best to everyone! ---- Dwayne
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    GM is trying to squeeze as many MPG out of an engine. GM has made a corporate decision to fully embrace sophisticated overhead cam engines with direct injection in order to achieve this objective. Problem: GM engineers, at least until this point in time, have shown an inability to design a reliable direct injection engine to achieve this objective. There's no point in asking GM to step up to the plate and make it right when their engineers can not design the product to make it right. GM needs to change its objective and go back to multipoint fuel injection. In fact, I remember reading something a few months ago where a Ford engineer stated that Ford was not going to fully embrace direct injection because of the reliability issues associated with adopting direct injection. GM needs to get back to basics and produce reliable products.