Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

1282930313234»

Comments

• djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Why doesn't GM install the 2.4 ---- four cylinder engine that is in the 2010 Chevrolet LTZ Malibu into the Chevrolet Equinox. ----- This engine IS NOT a "direct injection engine," and the best part, ------- IT THAT IT RUNS without a problem! ---- How come GM cannot come up with this solution? ----- Have they lost the ability to "problem solve" or "brain storm a problem?" ---- I am sure that the 2.4 Malibu Engine will fit into the Equinox as a replacement engine! --- The basic engine block is probably the same! ---------- Just sharing some ideas! ---------- Dwayne.
    I did some research on the "net" today dealing with the "NEW & IMPROVED four cylinder GM engines in the Malibu line of vehicles. ------ It seems that the 2.0 / 4 cylinder Turbo engine, and the 2.5 / 4 cylinder engine are both "Direct Injection Engines." ---- Does this mean that now the "Malibu line of GM vehicles" are also going to have the "fuel in the oil problem," and the "engine issues" associated with the failure of the high pressure fuel pump? ----- Only time will tell! ---- Is this the same engine in the new Impala? ----- If this problem continues, it will destroy the product line! --- I will be following the postings on the 2013 Malibu site to see if engine problems exist! ------- All the best! ---- Dwayne
  • jkinslerjkinsler Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I bought this thing used back in August. Since then, we've had a few issues out of it with the newest one being a strange grinding noise. It started late Saturday afternoon. I was driving it, when over the radio, I hear a strange noise as if I were dragging something. I pulled off the road, looked under the car, nothing. So I turn the wheels, in and out, seeing nothing. So I get back inside and drive on. The noise continues. And it seems to do it mostly when you let off the accelerator. I at first thought it was brake related but now, I feel that's not it. It feels like its coming from under the console between the driver and passenger seats. And it goes up and down with intensity too. Sometimes it sounds louder than others. I'm by no means mechanically inclined and no warnings or indicators are on either so I'm just stumped
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    It can be difficult to really pinpoint where a noise is coming from inside the cabin. A grinding sound would make me think about wheel bearing. If the noise changes when turning, maybe front bearing, if it changes with speed or perhaps when going over a hump/bump (where load is changed) perhaps a rear wheeel bearing. Is it an AWD version?
  • jmedlin6jmedlin6 Member Posts: 6
    I had the same issue with my 08 Equinox. When it would happen, I would just slow down and I would here a "click" and it would be fine. It would happen once every few months.

I could never figure out what it was and of course it never happened when I took it into the dealer.

I had an 08 LT AWD
  • jkinslerjkinsler Member Posts: 2
    Yes its a 4dr Sport AWD version.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I believe the only non-direct injection engines offered by Chevy in their cars are found in the Spark, Sonic, and Cruze. I could be mistaken but, I believe these are the only three vehicles. For example, I believe the 1.8 liter engine found in the Cruze and Sonic are non-direct injection.
    If that is true, then why haven't we seen "high pressure fuel pump issues" in the 2010 Chevrolet LTZ 2.4 Malibu? ---- I do not think the "Malibu line" has direct injection engines. ----- I think each cylinder has an injector behind the intake valve. ------ If I am wrong, this car is history as soon as issues develop, and it is repaired under the extended warranty. ----- Dwayne
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I am referring to current model year (2013) and not prior years. The standard engine for the 2013 Malibu is the 2.5 direct engine 4 cylinder engine.
    You are correct! ---- That is why I will not purchase a new Malibu! ----(I like the body of the new Malibu, and I like the GM four cylinder engine. ----- But I do not like the high pressure fuel pump, ---- and the customer relations attitude of GM and their dealers!) ---- My 2010 runs well, but I will not take a chance on getting a direct injection engine lemon! ----- Here is the all important question; ----"Is GM using that same high pressure defective / poorly designed fuel pump on the new 2.5 engine?" ------ Dwayne