Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford 2001 Heavy Duty F-250

Comments

• bessbess Member Posts: 972
    Ride: It is my understanding that the ride (while empty) on the F250 and F350 is almost the same.. The heavier f350 springs don't come into play until you have a load..

MPGs: Folks here with a similar configuration to yours report somewhere in the 12 to 16mpg range..
    A few get less than 12 a few get more than 16, but thats the ballpark.. I've not heard of any significant difference in mpgs between f250 and f350.

The above is not first hand experience. I have
    00' F250 SC 5.4L 4x2 5sp 4.10LS
  • jay107jay107 Member Posts: 9
    I will be ordering my 2002 F350 SC short bed in a couple of days with the v10 and auto tran., I need advice in choosing between the 3.73 or 4.30 axle ratio. What are the differences in mpg and acceleration and top speed. I am leaning toward the 4.30 but have never had anything that low before and am not sure how it will feel on the highway. I do not tow anything, but I do plow snow. Most of my driving is around town with about two or three 35 to 50 mile stints on the highway per week. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    It doesn't sound like you NEED the 4.30's but I always get the highest numerical gear available(and sometimes swap 'em even higher in the case of my Cobra)because I want the extra low end power/response. Also the fact you can put bigger tires on a truck and it won't hurt the low end as much. If you ever do need to tow a big 10,000 # load I think you'll be glad you got the 4.30's.

As far as fuel economy, I think the V10 is a pig either way. I averaged 10 MPG combined during the first 1200 miles. Changed the oil and am up to almost 11 MPG combined and I absolutely freaked during a 300 mile highway trip at a painfully slow 75 MPH cruise and got 14 MPG. This is with a Crew Cab V10, 4.30 LSD, auto. 2WD.

IMHO, get the 4.30's and never have to say, I wish I had more low end."
    If you plan on getting larger than stock tires, then the 4.30s would be nice..
    Since your not towing, and you have '4 wheel low range' to for the snow plowing duties, I think the 3.73 would be the best option for you..
    You'll get better mileage on your highway stints, and the V10 has more than enough power to handle the 3.73.. If you tend to drive at 70+ mph, then you'll be turning around 3000rpms or more with the 4.30's.. That wont hurt anything except mpg's.
    Actually 70MPH is a very liesurely 2500 RPM. 3000 RPM is closer to 80MPH and since peak torque is at 3250 your fuel economy is not going to be that much different at those speeds. Remember these motors shift @ 5000RPM floored and make peak HP at 4250 so 2500-3000 RPM is not spinning 'em that hard. I will give the 3.73 a 1 MPG diff that you may or may not lose once loaded up, much like the 5.4 loses all advantages when worked.

This is why I feel it's a personal thing: Drive'em both, if you can, I felt the way the 4.30's tached quicker and jumped off the line was worth a possible 1 MPG but that's me. It seems to me that when looking at V10 monsters that fuel economy shouldn't be a priority, that performance should be and that 1 MPG aint gonna break the bank.
    I talked to a Ford mechanic today and asked him the question of which ratio to go with, and he said to go with the 4.30, but also said that I would be "taching out" above 70 mph and I definetley want to go faster than 70 mph when the need arises. I tend to cruise on the highway at about 70 -80 mph. The gas mileage is not a priority, but the fun factor is important whether I'm on the street or the highway. I want to be able to hit a passing gear when I nail it at 75.
  • fordtuffordtuf Member Posts: 101
    Here is my real world... and my Brothers.
    I have 99,f250,v10,super cab,auto,4x4,3.73
    Brother's is identical except 00 and 4.30 gears.

I tow 27' St (loaded 7700lbs) @ 75mph and get 9.5 to 10 mpg. I tow 34' St (loaded 10,500lbs) @ 73 mph and get 7.0 to 7.5 mpg.

Brother tows same 34' St (loaded 10,500) @ 73 mph and gets 6.0 mpg if he's lucky. The engine is screaming at around 3700 ram, needless to say he only did that on one trip. Now he tows at 65 mph and gets about 6.5 to 7.0 mpg.

I had the wise idea that he needed the 4.30 because he was going to be towing a lot more weight and more often. He will go to his grave telling me about how dumb that was. Sure he can smoke the tires, but I can to (with a little bit of power braking).

Normal street driving in Atlanta(that reads 80mph)combined mpg on mine is 13 mpg. While he lives in Mobile, he still drives like me, and gets 10mpg on a good tank.

Bottom line for us, the V10 has all the guts you need with the 3.73, and far better mileage. I don't have any doubt that Mod tells it like it is, but I find it odd that he got 14mpg and my brother gets 11.5 to 12 empty at that speed.

Does that guy you talked to have too many 4.30's on the lot. Those are for pullin 10,000 plus all the time. By the way I put in a I&N filter and a two chamber Flowmaster and my brothers truck can't pull away more than a truck length in about a 1/4 mile but by the time we are reaching 70 mph I start pulling up and away.

Sorry so long.
    Thank you for all the valuable info regarding my upcoming purchase. I'll let you know how I made out.
    mod,
    Thanks for the correction. I did make a miscalculation.. At 3000 rpm's with the 4.30 assuming stock tires you'd be travelling around 85mph..
    So the mechanic who told jay he'd be 'taching out' probably assumed he was towing. If your towing with OD off your turning around 3500 rpm at 75 with the 4.30s, vs 3000 rpm at 75 with the 3.73.

Given that 'fun factor' is an important issue for Jay, I think he'll be leaning towards the 4.30..
    Plus, if he thinks the RPM are too high, he can increase the fun and put larger tires on..
    You will NOT be taching out at 70MPH with 4.30's!!! All the Fords cut off at around 95 and I guarantee the 4.30's will pull the 3.73 all the way up to that speed. Like Bess said you're only talking 500 RPM's at cruising vs the two and it's going to amount to very little in MPG at 70-75 MPH. I can see at 80+ the 3.73's widening the MPG gap a little.

Fordtuf, I'll admit I was surprised at the 14MPG, but realize it's a 2WD compared to a 4WD(which easily could account for 1.5 MPG) and I made a CONSCIOUS effort to keep it at 75 as opposed to the normal 80+ I usually drive. One other important tid bit, your brothers truck has 35 more horsepower AND 15 pounds more torque vs, your '99. Power doesn't come free!!!
  • dddaveldddavel Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone here put a body lift on a new 250sd,if so - what brand was it ? Did you have to modify anything you wasn't expecting ? Did you raise the bumpers also, and what does your dealer say about it affecting warranty work ?
    I didn't expect. As I stated I have a 99,4x4,V10,3.73 yada yada....with my K.&N filter and 2 chamber Flowmaster.

I didn't tell you my brother is a Ford salesman.
    Anyway I was looking at my exact truck in a 01.

I thought it didn't have as much power (seat of the pants feel) as mine did. So what would you do if your brother was the salesman and he said "stop and get your truck and we'll find out".
    I was right, mine jumps off the line first, it winds up faster from 0 to 30ish then they were about even. I wish I new what the numbers are, now, on my truck.
  • bobh12bobh12 Member Posts: 140
    Great News I got an August 20 JOB #1 date for my "02" Super Duty.

As for 3:73s vs 4:30s a lot of the choice depends on where you are, if you are towing anything in the Rocky Mountain states, you should definitely lean towards the 4:30s. Other areas with relatively flat terrain and rolling hills and an occasional steep grade 3:73s wil do fine. Climbing one of our 10,000 foot mountain passes, you'l be glad for the 4:30s. Good luck on your selection.
  • rdupre1rdupre1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I just bought a 2001 F-250 SC w/ diesel engine. Are there any recommendations out
    there for the break-in period??? Anyone change the programming chip to increase engine's
    performance and fuel economy?? Can you give me tips??
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Hi,

I've got a V-10, but can direct you to place for best info:

http://www.ford-diesel.com

I believe they also have a FAQ section that covers PSD break-in. Good luck with your new truck!

• pipesmokerpipesmoker Member Posts: 23
    Hey, love your web page. Have been using allot to research information for purchase of a new truck.

I am very close to pulling the trigger on ordering an F-250 SWB 4x4 Super Crew Cab with the V-10 motor. Comments anyone??? My buddy (who happens to work at a Chevy dealer says I'm crazy -he owns a 2500 Dodge diesel). Anyway he says don't buy the V-10!!!

Just sold my 1997 GMC Suburban and I like the F-250 Super with V-10. I was comparing and considering the Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 LT.

I will not use for allot of towing or heavy use. I just want a BIG TRUCK!!!!!

Can anyone give me a push towards a decision???!!!
    You can scroll back a little way in this or the ford superduty topic maybe, and see it discussed very recently.

My 2 cents if your not towing a LOT (over 10,000 lbs)of weight or doing it ALL the time don't mees with a diesel. They add 4700 to your sticker, are quite a bit more to maintain, they smell bad, and are not very good for daily driving unless you commute over 30 minutes. Don't bother with the 5.4L for about 575 you can have the 6.8L v10. The gas mileage is almost identical between the gassers.

BTW I am biased, I own 99 F250, 4x4, supercab, V10, 3.73 gears.

What part of the country do you live in? My brother sells Ford's in Mobile, AL.
    Thank you for the response. I believe I will go ahead with my order of the 2002 F-250 4x4 SWB with the V-10. I'm getting it loaded, Lariet package and all the other "button" items.

No, I will not do allot of heavy towing. I have a utility trailer and will pull a boat occasionally.

I live in Dothan, AL. Used to live in Mobile. I have a connection at a Ford dealer, not in Dothan, who is selling me the above vehicle at $200 over invoice. Used Edmunds.Com to price out my vehicle!!!

I've decided against the Chevrolet HD2500. Ford offers more options and packages. Having been use to a Suburban I wanted a BIG Truck. Realistically, I don't need a BIG Truck... I just like the looks, like the power, and I like the resale. So, I'm going to get what I want.

Looking forward to my new truck's arrival. Once recived I'll write back and advise my thoughts. Until then, I'll keep watching the news and reviews on Edmunds.com.
  • jcave1jcave1 Member Posts: 137
    Unfortunaetly you're probably right on the money. I don't have heavy tow or hauling requirements but bought PSD anyway. Work commute is about 20 miles each way. Did pay about 4k extra for the deisel. All it took was a couple of test drives and I had to try the PSD. The 01 is alot quieter than even the 00. Understand they fiddled with injectors and reduced the noise. Oregon does have some of the highest fuel prices in the nation, lucky us, and that 10 mpg F-150 couldn't pass a station. Do climb lots of mountains and the deisel really performs. Set the cruise and let it climb, speed or RPM don't even budge.

So, first deisel. Will be interesting what my opinion is after a couple of years. 12,500 miles though and it's the best rig I've owned, albeit not the cheapest.
    Has anyone on here with a V10/auto/4:30LS,ran their truck on a 1/4 mile strip yet. Really would like to what one would do on time and speed. Will the L-slip turn both tires on dry pavement? thanks.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    Gordie Bouche Ford in West Bend, WI. selling 2002's SD at INVOICE, Saturday night stopped in, they had CC, EC in PSD, V10 & V8. Looked to be some good deals.
    On several occacsions I have proven this. Brothers truck, not mine, never took it to the strip.
  • mantaeomantaeo Member Posts: 5
    I am planing on purchasing F250SD 4x4 ext cab soon
    and need some advice. Have been hearing some talk
    about vac. seals going out on the shift on the fly
    auto hubs (new trucks). Anyone experiencing this?
    Considering on sticking with manuals, since they
    lock in right away. Cost not the issue, just the
    reliability factor. Currently own 10 yr. old Chevy
    with their version of shift on the fly, and have changed
    elec. actuator three times now. When it goes you cannot
    engage or you are locked in. Of course last time this
    happened it was -7 degrees with 5" of snow on the ground,
    and my garage was full. Rather cold in the driveway at
    nine pm. changing this thing.
  • bobsquatchbobsquatch Member Posts: 136
    I would never buy auto anything in the 4X4 system. It is fun for the first couple of times you use it while your buddies have to get out in the middle of a stream or snow or whatever but they all fail eventually. Ford has combination hubs that lock manually or automatically but I think with that set up the transfer case is automatic so it will fail. Stick with good old fashion manual hubs and transfer case. They are cheaper in both the short and long run. Chevys don't have hubs anymore so you have to get the auto junk which is a big reason I am considering Ford.
    thanks bobsquatch; was leaning heavy towards
    manual after experience the Chevy, felt like you
    should lock in before entering into anything that
    looks suspect traction wise. Then engage transfer
    case in and out as needed.
    JOB#1 on my 2002 F-250 SD CC was the 20th, so now the waiting for delivery begins. Hope it doesn't get lost or rides all over the country on a train like some others have. My Fleet guy says 2 days to build and 10 days for shipping, so that should be about September 1. We shall see!!!
    I made my decision and placed my order on Aug.16 for a 2002 F350 SD SC SWB in black with Lariat trim V10 auto, 4.30 LS, snow plow package, roof clearance, 6 disc changer. I paid about 20.00 over invoice with a price of 32,950.00. I was told it will take about 8 weeks to come in. Cant wait.
    The waiting's the hardest part! When I ordered mine last year, it took nine weeks plus to get. I felt just like a kid waiting for Christmas. It was well worth the wait to get exactly the truck I wanted.

'01, F350,XLT, CC, 4x4, V10, 5 spd, LS, LWB, Camper Package, roof clearance, CD
    Gentlemen: You can scroll back and find my previous entries. After viewing Edmund's web pages and Ford and Chvy web pages, I decided on the F-250 Crew Cab. Placed my order for a white with two-tone stripe F-250 Crew Cab with V10 4x4 3.73 reg axle on 8-02-2002 with an Alabama Ford dealer. I have no delivery date as of yet. Just waiting!!

I ordered my truck fully loaded, Lariat package with ALL available options. Paid $200 over invoice. Patience is hard to come by, but I'm waiting on the dealer's call to advise my BIG truck has arrived.
    The dealer just called me and gave me the VIN for my ordered 2002 Ford F-250 Super Crew 4x4 Lariat. Is there anything I can learn from the VIN???

Still patiently waiting. I ordered on 8-02-01 and with the VIN my dealer says the delivery date is listed at 9-17-01.

Just interested in whether the VIN can tell me anything about my ordered truck while I await delvery!!
    Anybody out there with the following;
    2000 or 2001 - F250SD 4X4, SC,LWB, V-8/auto,
    373 rear end. What kind of gas mileage are you
    getting? Same question - with V-10/auto/373.
    Order time hopefully coming soon, and don't really
    need a diesel for my needs. Thanks!
    I just finished up inspecting all of my fuel reciepts for the last 9 months. I jot down the odo mileage and trip mileage on the reciept each tank).
    I have an 00 F250 SC 4x2 5.4L 5sp 4.10LS
    Overall average 16.0 mpgs.
    I use it mostly driving to from work which is mixed city/highway driving..

With the 4x4 and auto tranny, your going to be in the 14 or 15 mpg range average, little higher with all highway, little lower with all city.

I do recommend the 4.10 with the 5.4L, unless you regularly cruise at 75+mph.
    Has anyone here put a body lift on a new 250sd,if so - what brand was it ? Did you have to modify anything you wasn't expecting ? Did you raise the bumpers also, what about the tow hooks,and what does your dealer say about it affecting warranty work ?
    Thanks.
    I read on this or other sites about some people having a problem with vacuum seals leaking in the 4x4 system. Would like to know if this is in the hubs, or the transfer case. Does it only apply to trucks with the electric shift system or not? If it happens can you get 4x4 to work or are you stuck? Thanks.
    I believe the leak occurs in the hubs, so when you select 4x4 via the "Electronic Shift on the Fly" the hubs won't engage. Manual Hubs don't have this set up. I like my ESOF, got bogged down in snow a few times this past winter and just engaged 4x4 and scooted right out. (If you can picture a 7000 lb pickup scooting.) Haven't had problem with vacuum seal leak, but if the ESOF doesn't work you can always get out and set your hubs manually.
  • allmans33allmans33 Member Posts: 4
    Just ordered 02 4x4 lariet loaded everything but the reverse sensor system.Was told 6-8 weeks for delivery..This is my second lariet in 2yrs..can't wait!! dark shadow gray/blk..med flint interior.
    I had also heard about vac problems and asked
    one the parts counter guys at the local dealership
    about this. He said that they had quite a few
    problems with hubs in 99's and early 2000's, but
    he has not seen any with 2001's on. Problem was
    with a teflon seal - it had a foil/plastic wrap
    for protection during man/shipment. Seems that
    it was not being removed during hub assembly. Often it would get hung up, not allowing for a
    good seal (vac.) as a result hubs were not engaging, or sometimes not disengaging. He showed
    me a whole box of replacement seals on the shelf
    currently collecting dust. Sounds like the prob.
    might be solved.
    I would like to know how much ride difference there is between a 250 and 350. Is it minor or very rough on the 350 when empty.
    Thanks.
    I have an '01 350 CC LWB 4x4. Bought it for the extra payload capacity vs. F250. (It was about $700 more) The F-350 has a different spring pack than '250 to accomodate the bigger weights, but as far as I understand it these stiffer springs don't come into play until you load the vehicle. My F350 is a truck it's not a Lincoln Town Car, but it rides very well for a truck. Six people have been quite comfortable in the Crew Cab, even on 10 hour drives.

I think you'll see the most difference in ride depending upon how much air you put in your tires. A while back I made several trips carrying almost 2 tons of concrete, so I aired the tires up to 80 psi in the rear and 65 psi in the front to carry the load - you could feel the weight, but it handled and rode fine. The next day I was in a hurry and drove off empty with the extra air still in the tires and I almost shook the fillings outta my teeth. After about 10 miles of back roads I couldn't take it anymore and reduced the pressures to ~45 psi and suddenly my Superduty was back to acting totally refined and civilized. I'm quite impressed with the package, it can legally carry >3000 lbs payload, tow 13000 lbs and still be remarkably comfortable while doing it. ( To be truthful though a friend has a 4x4 F150 SuperCrew that really rides more like a passenger car than my '350 but he doesn't have half the capability of my SuperDuty.)
    Hey, I wrote a week back and got no response. Maybe nobody knows...

My dealer has provided me with the VIN # for my ordered F-250 Super Crew V10.

Is there any information I can gleam from the provided VIN #??? If so, where can I retrieve information???

Still waiting on arrival of ordered 2002 model.
  • mcgrathmcgrath Member Posts: 11
    I own an early 2000 F-250SD Crew Cab and got stuck with the non-telescoping power trailer tow mirrors(probably because Ford needed to get rid off all the '99 mirrors). I recently crunched my drivers side mirror and the only replacement Ford has is the telescoping. I am having a heck of a time getting a mirror ordered from my local Ford dealer. I am wondering if anyone out there has either a drivers side non-telescoping mirror or a set of telescoping mirrors for sale....

Thanks,

Jim
  • jedelskyjedelsky Member Posts: 2
    2001 F 250 v8 4x4,auto.4.10 -14 mpg.at 70 I never tow over 3500lbs. and live in wi. if I had it to due over again I would get 3.73 gears.
    I have noticed that on some 350 and 250 SD's that the front sits almost level with the back and on others the front sits aboput 2-3 inches lower. Is this a suspension upgrade you can order or are the trucks that sit level using an aftermarket front leveling kit. I have ordered my 350 SD SC SWB v10 with the snow plow prep package that includes the highest front springs. Will my truck sag in the front or will it be level. If it does sag which method or wich leveling kit is most complete? Any info will be appreciated, thanks.
    I was also wondering what are the largest tires I can put on my stock rims. I believe they are 16x7, they are the stock wheels that come on 2002 350 SD Lariat models SRW. I will have the 4.30 ratio. If I put on 285/75-16 will I need to adjust the speedometer or transmision shift points. Will the bigger tire size noticably affect acceleration or will the v10 with 4.30 ratio still pull haqrd?, Thanks
    I'm running 285's on my 2WD and they're fine. Haven't adjusted anything. I'm assuming you have a 4WD.

I think I'm getting old because in the past I would have bought the $1500 Fab Tech pre-runner suspension,(extended radius arms, shock hoops etc.) wheels and some 37's and pretended it was a Baja runner. The truck is just too big to hammer off road so I've left it stock with the front end a little lower than the back. The 285's do look better though(black side out)

The 4WD's in stock form do sit [non-permissible content removed] up also but I don't think I've seen one with the snow plow package. Maybe the stiffer front springs level it out??? I also know the first Super duties were so high in back the dealers would put lowering blocks in the back for free. I think this was to appease the 5th wheel crowd.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    If you happen to get the PSD the additional weight tends to drag the front end down even more. Some of the PSD guys put Xtra HD springs in the front to help balance out the weight better.
    The VIN will tell you some info, such as if I remember correctly where built, engine, etc, but you need a "codebook" to figure it out. A couple of years ago1999-2000 when this thead was very active, some one posted all of the conversions, but by now it is probably archived away, still wmight bea ble ot do a searcha nd find it though. Someone like "bess", who was around at that time may be able to help.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    Hope it helps,the VIN contains 17 numbers (sample below is from a Hummer)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deciphering the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number):
    Digit Definition Code Definition
    1 MANUFACTURING COUNTRY 1 UNITED STATES
    2 COMPANY/MAKE 3 AM GENERAL CORPORATION
    3 VEHICLE TYPE 7 COMMERCIAL VEHICLES
    4 ENGINE D 5.7 LITER (L05) GASOLINE-GM-8CYL
    L 5.7 LITER (L05) LEADED GASOLINE-GM-8CYL
    W 350 CUBIC IN GAS-LTI-GM-8CYL
    X 6.2 LITER DIESEL - GM - 8CYL
    Y 6.5 LITER DIESEL - GM - 8CYL, NATURALLY ASPIRATED
    Z 6.5 LITER DIESEL - GM - 8CYL, TURBO CHARGED
    5 TRANS/DRIVE A 4 SPEED, AUTO/LHD - GM - 4L80E
    E 3 SPEED, AUTO/LHD - GM - 3L80
    6&7 TRUCK LINE, SERIES 82 VLC2 - TRUCK-2 DOOR
    83 HMC4 - TRUCK-4 DOOR
    84 HMCS - TRUCK-STATION WAGON
    85 VLCO - TRUCK-OPEN BODY
    86 HMCF - TRUCK-2 DOOR FLEET/INDUSTRIAL
    87 HMR2 - TRUCK-2 DOOR RECRUIT
    88 HMRO - TRUCK-OPEN BODY RECRUIT
    89 XLC2 - TRUCK-2 DOOR CAB
    90 HMCO - TRUCK-OPEN BODY WITH FULL HARD DOORS
    8 G.V.W.R. 3 10,001-14,000 POUNDS
    9 CHECK DIGIT 0 THRU 9 OR X -
    10 MODEL YEAR N 1992
    P 1993
    R 1994
    S 1995
    T 1996
    V 1997
    W 1998
    11 PLANT CODE E MISHAWAKA
    U LIVONIA
    12-17 SERIAL NUMBER - -
    The thread I was refering to is "Ford Super Duty Trucks", now part IX. Should be in late 99 or early 00. Good luck
    Gentlemen: Thanks for the response. I appreciate all the information I am able to get from this site. I check weekly for topics and useful information insight.

I'll let you know what I think of my 2002 F-250 Super Duty 4x4 with V-10 once it is delivered and I have a chance to put a few miles on her.

This will be my first owned Ford. My last vehicle was a GMC Suburban 1500.
This discussion has been closed.