Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    trieltriel Member Posts: 6
    Sorry but that is not the case with the equinox. I been researching this for over a month and a lot of people are having bad gas milage while driving distance on the highway, while having over 8000 miles on the dash.
  • Options
    trieltriel Member Posts: 6
    Hey did your mileage get better after the hoses were change?
  • Options
    mconemcone Member Posts: 5
    Hey there...I dont know if this will be helpful or not but these cars are horrible. My Equinox has this thing where it doesnt want to start about once a week. It has been in the shop 5 times and they still cannt figure out the problem. I just finished doing the Lemon Law on it and now I'm waiting for either a settlement or a go-ahead to request arbitration on it. Good Luck!
  • Options
    I have.. Both of the back doors do this. However, my car is going through the Lemon Law case as we speak because it is a horrible car. It has been in the shop 5 times for not starting and they cant seem to find out why. I would encourage you to not take any crap from the dealerships. They tried to tell me that i was starting my car wrong!!! Can you imagine that???? Dont let them tell you your shutting your door wrong too.
  • Options
    I dont know if you have had your problem fixed but i had that same problem when i first got mine. It was some seal around the gas cap missing causing the light to come on. Dont let them have it longer then they are suppose to. Enforce the lemon law if they cant find the problem. I had to!! My car wouldnt start and they could never find the problem. Im in the middle of the lemon law case right now and i want everyone to know that these cars stink!!!
  • Options
    I would really encourage everyone to file the Lemon Law on this car if they have a case. I got mine around May of last year and it has been in the shop 5 times for not starting. They seem to never be able to find the problem. Imagine that! I am currently doing the lemon law case right now and am waiting for either a settlement or arbitration one. I want everyone to know this about these cars. I was even thinking about protesting on the news because I am so dissapointed and the dealership is NO help!! I strongly encourage everyone to do something about these matters.
  • Options
    noxiousnoxious Member Posts: 1
    With only 153 total miles on the car, the engine light came on and the transmission would not engage in any gear. Had to call roadside assist and get it towed to the dealer. Now I am getting the run around from them saying they are still trying to locate the problem. Mean while I a stuck in a smelly GM rent a heap and wishing I never bought a Chevy. If this happens again how do I use the lemon law to my advantage? :mad:
  • Options
    michelle6michelle6 Member Posts: 22
    I wouldnt wait for it to do it again. Do a lemon law now while you are still having problems. That is a huge problem and I would be furious if I were you. I promise you that the problems do not go away EVER! I am trying to get rid of mine but I am over 12,000 miles so I can do the lemon law.
  • Options
    I am at 13,500 miles. I live in Illinois so I can't do the lemon law because it has to be before 12,000 miles or 1 year. I am debating if I should go through GM or BBB to do a buyback. Someone please give me some info and some numbers to call to do this as quickly and painlessly as possible!! :confuse:
  • Options
    sdingeldeysdingeldey Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problems with my nox, and also a foul smell coming from the heating system. It is going in to the dealer tomorrow hopefully it will be fixed,From what i was told at the dealer they have been having alot of similar complaints.
  • Options
    renglerengle Member Posts: 7
    You are the first to complain about the problem I've had. Every now and then I hear a "chunk-a-chunk-a-chunk in the rear of the vehicle. Have never heard it at highway speeds though. The other day I backed out of the garage and noticed a vibration in the seat . I was going into PARK and heard the chunk a chunk a chunk noise . When it quit , the vibration went away and my PARK indicator lamp got brighter. It's like there is some kind of load on the engine during this noise. Maybe the fuel pump? I had the late transmission shift into OD problem that seems to have curred itself. I had my hoses changed and coolant flushed. I hate the visability out the back. The mileage is better after 5k miles and I'm running AMSOIL in it. 25 highway- 20-22 overall- 15-17 around town. The radio/mp3 player sucks. It won't save your bass/treble/mid settings. Have to change them every time you change stations. Other than that I like the rig.

Randy
  • Options
    renglerengle Member Posts: 7
    Check my post #368. I also have the three chunk-a-chunk-a-chunk sound in the rear once in a while. Dealer can't do anything unless it's duplicated. Sounds like an electrical solenoid to me. Maybe the fuel pump?
  • Options
    jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    Make sure the rear bench seat is properly engaged.

The Park indicator changes intensity due to "Auto" headlight mode.
    Between moving in and out of the garage, the Nightime lights and Daytime running lights switches modes and the panel lights/indicators intensity will also change.
  • Options
    I have the noise too. I call it a knocking noise or thumping noise. My dealer cant duplicate it either. Hasnt been happening as much with the warmer weather but still very annoying!
  • Options
    noxdriver47noxdriver47 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my Nox 3 weeks ago and I had the same problem. Thanks for the posting. I thought I was crazy. :cry:
  • Options
    jenrazzjenrazz Member Posts: 3
    I can't believe the amount of complaints I see on this site, but I am grateful to see I am not alone. I have had the stinky problem, which has since been taken care of. I have had issues with the struts in the front end, which have been replaced, though the front still makes noises. I have had instances where I can't get the rear passenger door to close and then it became incredibly creaky. But, I was told the reason for this problem was due to dirt in the hinges. It went back twice for that. I hate the exhaust, it sounds like a race car, though I am told this is the sound of a new car being broken in! I now have something growing on the floor around the vents in the shifter column on both sides of the vehicle. Bringing it in tonight....can't wait to see what excuse I get. They actually had the nerve to ask if I spilled something in there.
  • Options
    I have this same problem, only they tell me it's normal and I have to wait until it's broken in. I hate it. It sounds like a piece of crap and my truch I traded in that was seven years old didn't sound like that in the exhaust. I have had several problems with this truck and really I don't like it one bit anymore.
  • Options
    I have had this problem. They told me they couldn't duplicate the problem. Shortly after the door started making terrible noise. They contributed it to dirt in the hinges. Crazy if you ask me.
  • Options
    Are you referring to a loud squeeking or roaring type noise when opening a door? If so, I also have these problems and it is very annoying. I haven't taken it in for it though because I thought all they would do is spray WD-40 on it.
  • Options
    burnseburnse Member Posts: 2
    I've had my Equinox LS AWD for exactly 9 days and I think there is a transmisson problem, the problem is what I'm experiencing doesn't happen on a regular basis. Last week I felt a little jerk when I slowed down, I assumed it was the road. Since that day it has been getting worse, now it doesn't want to accelerate or will get to 90 and start jerking. Last night it was so bad (for approx. 20 minutes) I thought I would need a tow then out of no where started running fine. My husband took it to work this morning and it did not act up at all. Has anyone experienced anything similar? It is going in on Wednesday to be checked, I have a funny feeling they will say it is nothing.
  • Options
    jneestarjneestar Member Posts: 1
    I live in Pittsburgh, Pa. and I am averaging only about 17 t0 18 mpg in city driving. I haven't really had it on a trip yet. I purchased my Equinox on Dec 3, 2004 and have about 4500 miles on it now. I have had no problems at all and would recommend the Equinox due to my experiences.
  • Options
    Stating a serious problem without a whole lot of information is a questionable posting. :confuse:

No details behind your problem makes it not believable.
  • Options
    steven922steven922 Member Posts: 49
    I had the same problem with the rear door squeeking and what they did is spray
    a lube (WD-40) not on the hinge but inside the rubber piece on the door that is connected to the hinge. They used a long nozzle to get in there but after a quick burst of spray, it worked. I'm guessing there wasn't enough grease or lube in there to begin with but its a quick fix.

I have had my Exqinox for almost 2 months and 1000 miles and that is the only thing that has been wrong so far. So far so good. I'm very happy with the NOX. :D
  • Options
    equinox1equinox1 Member Posts: 1
    My Equinox is in the shop as we speak. They had to replace the struts because they creaked when they got wet. Also, they had to replace some fluid in the AWD system because the steering wheel made a whining noise when turned sharply either direction. It took them re-replacing the struts and the noise still being there when I picked it up yesterday for them to figure out what it was. I had to take it back to the dealership yesterday once I realised it was making the same noised that they said was because of the struts. I reminded them they had already replaced the struts once, but they said they had no record of that. Also, the seats are uncomfortable and the leather does not appear to be wearing well. The gas mileage is HORRIBLE. I am getting over 100 miles less per tank than my buick that I traded for this vehicle. The rear seat made this squeaking noise at highway speeds, and it took them two visits back there to figure out they needed to replace some railing that the seat was bolted to. I am really disappointed. This was my first new vehicle purchased after 8 years of college. I don't think I will every buy another chevy.
  • Options
    burnseburnse Member Posts: 2
    If your response was directed to my posting I would like to thank you for possibly deterring others from responding. I was only seeking any information that I could pass on to my dealer.

In Ontario they have had minimal complaints and I believe no recalls, therefore making it difficult to find information. Luckily, after searching the archives (on this site), I did find information on the mass air flow sensor, I am having it checked today.

I will await resolve from my dealer and will pass along my findings. I do apologize if you felt my posting was "questionable".
  • Options
    burnse,
    I believe that you did not have a total breakdown.
    Your posting is not questionable, and the mass air flow sensor can cause the drivability problems you discribed. So far I have not had this problem with mine. Let us know what your dealer finds.

Postings #364 and #372 are questionable due to little detail and vague information.
  • Options
    luv_my_noxluv_my_nox Member Posts: 14
    Here is an update on our Nox:
    Purchased my New LT FWD Equinox Jan 31, came right off the truck, still with the wrappers. MFG date: 1/05. Equipped with Sunroof and Leather. After 1600 miles and about 3 months I am happy to report no problems. I'm impressed with the paint, build, fit and finish. It is a nice looking vehicle. My wife loves it. I've driven it in the rain and snow and have no leaks any where. No abnormal noise. Antifreeze is still a nice looking light red, and no odor. I'm impressed with the ride, handling, and acceleration. Transmission is smooth and responsive. Currently getting about 19 mpg combined. Wife and I luv the vehicle and its universal features. :)
  • Options
    fergiefergie Member Posts: 6
    I HEAR YA SISTER YOU ARE NOT CRAZY!! I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH MINE AND IT HAS BEEN IN THE SHOP TWICE. IT IS GOING ON THE 3RD TIME AND NOTHING IS BEEN FIXED RIGHT. THEY HAVE SAID THEY REPROGRAMED SOMETHING LIKE AND UPDATE OF SOME SORT BUT IT DOESNT SEEM TO BE WORKING. MINE ALSO SLAMS IN TO DRIVE WHEN COMING OUT OF REVERSE AND PARK DOES THIS HAPPEN TO YOU??? BUT YOU ARE NOT CRAZY
  • Options
    Other than this trannie problem I love this car! However I have the EXACT same issue and PROBLEM. I thought it was the cold weather also, then we took a trip to FL and had the same "jolt" experience. We have had the car in twice. Once for an "adjustment" and once for an "upgrade program". Still have the same issue and hope this web site can give me some Ammo to get my car fixed properly. :confuse:
  • Options
    reedreed Member Posts: 11
    AOL has their best automobiles/SUVs/Trucks listed and Edmunds listed the Equinox as one of the top SUV's???? HELLO!!! Have they not read this Problems and Solutions Forum on their own website? We had the NASTY NASTY smell, the uncomfortable seats, the bad gas mileage and finally got rid of it after 4 months. We now have a Monte Carlo SS, and Envoy XUV and a corvette convertible and love every one of them. I still can't believe the Equinox as one of the BEST???? :confuse:
  • Options
    :mad: :lemon: you are not the only one, mine has been in the shop twice and they said they did adjustments and upgrades WHATEVER!! It is still happening and it has not been cold here York, Pa
  • Options
    koobkoob Member Posts: 1
    I also have experienced this. Usually, it happens when the Nox is warmed up. Typically occurs when going down a hill and coasting. Instead of shifting to the next higher gear, it stays "stuck" in the lower gear and revs and jerks. Living in rural Western PA, there are a lot of hills and I experience this often. When on the interstate, it never happens. Dealer said it is operating "within GM specs and standards" (BS). I am taking it back to the dealer to have them reproduce.

Other than that, I enjoy the Nox totally.
  • Options
    gizmo3gizmo3 Member Posts: 2
    Since when is an automatic transmission supposed to downshift when slowing down?
    Since when is a transmission supposed to downshift when descending a grade?This was resolved years ago. It was decided by our automotive experts that brakes were cheaper to replace than engine parts.
    When was the last time you ever saw an automatic transmission without an overdrive?
    How did we ever get stuck with a car without a lock-up torque converter.
    My Buick Lasabre got better around town mileage (bigger engine ,, heavier car). For that matter my old S-10 with a 4.3 and 96000 miles gets better mileage.
    13-14 Mpg stinks? :mad:
  • Options
    nannynanny Member Posts: 3
    i love my nox,BUT!i purchased my nox9/04 and have 9500 miles and my premium laser blue paint is failing. the panel behind rear doors, ends of molding, and bottom panels of door is turning white because of pitting. looks dirty all the time. the rear door has a nice chip and the paint has some bubbles. my dealer(?) says the clear coat is pitted and thats the "nature of the beast" too bad!! so i have to drive a dirty car for the next ten years!! he would fix the bubble, but if it continues to fail i would be in the shop all the time. i guess i will have to go to gm directly and anyone else in ny state that will help.( i INVESTED in mud flaps when i bought it). no help from dealer should bought online. any suggestions?
  • Options
    gizmo3gizmo3 Member Posts: 2
    3M makes a product that may solve you problem. this could be applied after the paint repair.
    Check out this link
    http://www.clearmask.com/aboutourkits.htm
  • Options
    buffettbabeflbuffettbabefl Member Posts: 2
    :lemon: :mad:
    I just got my Equinox back after the 8th time it has made a trip to the service department for various problems. This time they called a locksmith out to have them help make modifications to the lock cylinder houseing of the ignition. They replaced it twice w/ GM parts & that didn't work now I have a "JERRY RIGGED CAR" What a Crock! The Car has been in 8 times in a year & has 31,000 miles. If I could trade & not lose my @ss I would. Right now I just want to run it into the cement wall. more info later
  • Options
    auroragaurorag Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Equinox for one year and one month and I can't wait to get rid of it. It has been in and out of the shop since I got it. At one point I didn't have it for over two months while a computer was beign repaired. I have also had my sway bars replaced, several relays replaced, my fog lights have failed twice now, and this crazy problem with the transmission. Once I reach 55-65 miles on the freeway the RMP's sky rocket and the vehicle revs really high. It doens't switch into overdrive. And when slowing down the car kicks and downshits. I took it in to the delear they drove it five miles and found nothing. The only problem is that this occurs intermittently so it's hard to determine if and when it will happen.
  • Options
    nixnoxnixnox Member Posts: 2
    We have had our 2005 Equinox since July of last year. It was fine until about a month ago when we took it to a Jiffy Lube for an oil change and the mechanic noticed that our coolant was contaminated. He directed us to take it back to where we bought it. When we took it to the dealership, they flushed out the system and blamed us for contaminating it. As we drove home, about five miles from the dealership the coolant started stinking again and by the time we got home it was dark root beer brown. We then took it to another dealership that was closer to where we live and they replaced the hoses, intake manifold, and the coolant. It is now two weeks later and our car overheated and the coolant tank is completely empty and the stench is back! The car won't even start anymore. What a piece of junk! Can someone tell me what on earth to do now (besides get the dern thing towed)!!!!!
  • Options
    Sounds like the dealership turned you Nox into a piece of junk.
    Change repair shops.
    The newer Equinox, with mfg date of Dec. and newer, have these problems fixed.
    There are service bulletins to fix these problems.
    Any competent Chevy repair shop should be able to fix this coolant problem.
  • Options
    nixnoxnixnox Member Posts: 2
    Well, we had the Equinox towed this morning. I called the repair shop a few hours later and they informed me that the thermostat in the car was defective and that it incorrectly shut the motor off due to a safety feature. They couldn't explain why the coolant tank was completely empty but they "fixed" the thermostat and refilled the coolant and I picked 'er up at 3:00. I drove the care for about 5 miles and arrived at my destination. When I got out of the car, there was that darn contaminated coolant stench AGAIN! I popped the hood and the smell about knocked me out cold! I called the dealership that had just sent me on my merry way only moments before and they had me drive it back down there. The service manager popped the hood an immediately smelled "THE SMELL," but he claimed that it could have just been spilled from when they were filling it up. Then I complained of a new smell coming from inside the car (from the a/c) and he smelled that one too. He checked it out and said that we have mold and mildew in the a/c system and that they would disinfect it free of charge and check the coolant again tommorrow when the Nox returns for its 4th visit in a month. We brought the car home and parked it in our garage. Now we are living with the smell of what could be compared to a dead skunk being barbequed. We want to get rid of this thing--can someone please help!!!
  • Options
    dghunterdghunter Member Posts: 1
    I have had me Equinox for about 5 months now and everytime I get in and out of it, I get shocked very had to the point I have seen sparks... was wondering if anyone else is having this problem.
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I don't have an Equinox, but I've had my 2000 Impala for just over 5 years now, and I get shocked every time I get out. The only thing I can recommend is getting in the habit of touching the door with your elbow when you get out, so the shock happens there instead of on your fingertips when you close the door. Could be a cloth seat versus leather thing (I've got cloth), but I don't know of anything that can be done to alleviate it.
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Try switching to rubber floor mats and spraying seats with static free or rubbing dryer sheets on the seats weekly.
  • Options
    myfrustrationmyfrustration Member Posts: 12
    I just got my nox back from the dealer after I took it in for the smell. Took me two different dealers before any one would admit to knowing that the problem existed. The dealer that I bought the truck from said they never heard of it. Second dealer knew all about it and told me that the repair takes about two to three days. It took exactly two days. Glad that smell is gone much nicer now. However I opened up the garage to find my truck locking and unlocking itself, complete with lights flashing, has anyone had this problem before? I took it back to the dealer and they said they could not find anything wrong, there are no diognostics for electrical systems. They told me that somehow the truck intercepted the garage door opener signal. Im confused about this because up to this point I have not had a problem, and I have had the truck about three months and always park in the garage with it. Any Suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.
  • Options
    buffettbabeflbuffettbabefl Member Posts: 2
    So I got my car back after they had it for 6 days & when we went to pick it up it kind of hesitated when it started. My husband noticed it immediately & because of all the problems we have been having w/ this car & GM he had them pull a new model over & start it to see if it started the same way. Of course the new one started right up. The service writer said he noticed the difference but said it was because of the mileage. PLEASE!!!! So I've driven it for a week now, the key in the ignition can turn while you are driving. It is very lose because of the "jerry rigging". Today at lunch I started my car & it stalled. Is this really normal? I can't believe I can't get anybody to help me deal with these issues.
  • Options
    myfrustrationmyfrustration Member Posts: 12
    Okay while I do admit the coolent smell is gone, seems I have traded it for even more of a mess. It was not bad enough that all of a sudden my truck started leaking oil all over, so I took it back to the dealer immediatly and they determined that it was a defective oil filter, which they seemed to fix. By the end of the day after 40 miles of driving the engine fan would not shut off, then much to my surprise coolent started spitting out all over my driveway. I then had to get a wrecker to tow it to the Dealer so they could figure out what went wrong. Has anyone had any problem like this after the coolent repair? Help! this truck has been in the Dealer three times this week, including two in one day. I am not a mechanic, but I do know enough that something is terribly wrong, and they have not even considered addressing the mysterious unlocking and relocking itself complete with lights flashing issue, any advice from you more experienced nox owners? :cry:
  • Options
    barry22barry22 Member Posts: 3
    The noise that you are probably hearing is the ABS system. When you start moving after about 3 miles per hour or so, the ABS system performs a quick check of itself and then arms itself. I hear it on mine all of the time. The only reason I knew what it was is because when I bought my Astro Van it came with a video tape about the ABS system and mentioned about the noise.
  • Options
    barry22barry22 Member Posts: 3
    Hello Everyone,
    I am new to the NOX club. I bought mine 3 months ago. The build date on mine is June 2004. I heave read most of these posts and as far as my experiences go I have not had any of the problems that I have read here. I have 3500 miles on mine. I am getting about 20 MPG. About 75% of my driving is on the highway. I have checked my spare tire area and it is dry as a bone. I live near Seattle Wa. and we get plenty of rain. I noticed some of you are hearing a noise from the front end when you first start up. Funny because everyone should be hearing this. It is the ABS system doing its self check and then it arms itself. It is not very loud but if the radio is off you can hear it. These SUV's have a lot of electronics in them and a lot of relays. It is normal to hear some of these little noises. As far as the tranny goes, it is also electronically controlled. Lots of relays there too. Gone are the days when transmissions were controlled by speed and vacumm. As with all new cars problems will occur and occasionally you will see a lemon or two but I am happy with my NOX and I would not hesitate to buy another one. With regard to large A pillars at the front, I think it is a nice feature. It gives more stability to the frame. I am sorry some of you have had problems. I hope that the dealership where you bought yours will make everything right. As a mechanic by trade I can tell you that the NOX is a well built SUV and even though there are a few bugs to work out I believe I will be happy with mine for a long time.
  • Options
    npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    Thats nothing new. That happens in just about any car particularly during the winter. To prevent it, before you exit your car place your hand on the metal part of the door frame and leave it there until you are completely out of the vehicle. I do this to reduce the shock as I get out of my car.
  • Options
    npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    Sweet Jesus, the repair shops must be totally out of the loop.

* * *I M P O R T A N T N O T I C E* * *
    GM has issued a fix for the smelly coolant issue. Its been out for 4 months or so now. Take your Nox back to the dealer and tell them the hoses need to be replaced and they should do a thorough check for the TSB (Technical Service Bulliten). If they tell you they know nothing of it or that it does not exist, take your vehicle to another GM dealer if you are able to.