Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tarmentarmen Member Posts: 6
    Hi All,
    Just to give everyone a heads up on the TSB concerning the Equinox coolant issue. The TSB can be seen at

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/General-Motors/index-issue.html

and click on "Cooling System - Underhood Coolant Odor"
    (Wed, Dec 15, 2004 Wed, Feb 9, 2005 04-06-02-010)

Hope this helps. I just took my Equinox to get it's first oil change yesterday, and was told that the coolant "looked black", and required a flush. The TSB states that "the discoloration of the coolant is normal and not related to odor. It is the result of sealant pellets that are added to the system during production. DO NOT add sealant pellets when performing this repair".
    Anyone out there might want to inform their Mr. Goodwrench that the coloration is "normal", since obviously they don't read the TSBs. Thank goodness for the internet!

Later!
  • myfrustrationmyfrustration Member Posts: 12
    Thank You for posting the TSB, evidently my dealer has read the TSB, but did not follow it to the T. I talked with the dealer yesterday, and they are telling me that there is air in the system, thus the reason it keeps leaking coolent. Going on day two with the rental ( week two ). They told me it is extremly hard when this happens to get all of the air out of the system, seems like since I have not heard a word from them on my truck they are not resolving the issue easily. Now the service manager has made my truck his personal vehicle so that he can resolve the issues that it is having since the repair. I will keep everyone posted as this progresses, see what they have to say :cry:
  • cjdana1cjdana1 Member Posts: 1
    I dont think that this has anything to do with your problem but it is similar. I just bought mine in jan of this year and it has 5000 miles on it. Anyways it all started in april. aparently my check engine light likes to go on and it pleases. (my car being the 3rd in the nation to have this prob) The trick is is that it doesnt register anything once the car is shut off. I am in the dealer about 1 every 2 weeks. Today being my 4th time in, i guess GM issued some kind of bullitan yesterday may 11 saying that it is something with power steering and that they are still working on a fix for it but the dealers are told not to try to fix it. My service tech says that it could be up to 2 months before this is fixed. Once i left the dealer the check engine like came on again....go figure! I was talking to some old GM retirees in there that said GM was going down the tubes and they told me to write a letter to GM with a copy of Michigans Lemon Law attaced to it so ill give that a try. :mad: :lemon:
    Okay, got a call from the dealer to pick up my nox, they said they got all the air out of the system and everything should be fine. HOWEVER, when I looked in the garage in the morning, there it was again, coolent on the floor, by comparison not too much about the size of a coffee can, in addition to that drivers headlamp is totally burnt out. Reading in the owners manual, you practically have to remove the whole front bumper to fix a burnt out light, and disconnect from the radiator is part of the repair. So my nox is back into the dealer, they now know me by my first name, and certainly asked what I was doing there. This is the third trip to the dealer for this coolent issue, and they did not even address the electrical problems that I had with the truck. Im back in the rental AGAIN!!! :sick:
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    The issue date of this TSB "Odor from Underhood, Coolant Odor" is dated Dec. 15, 2004.
    Does that mean GM has updated thier assembly line by the time this TSB comes out?

Do Equinoxes, built after Dec 15, have the new hoses?
  • burg1997burg1997 Member Posts: 1
    The noise you are talking about is it like a swishing of water? I hear some kind of noise and I've only had my Equinox for a week and the noise just started yesterday. To me it's sounds like water swishing back and forth in the engine only when I start the car and go for a mile or so.
  • akcelestrinakcelestrin Member Posts: 1
    we've had ours since dec of last year. I have brought it up the dealer's and the toll free number's attention and I have been given no solution. I've tried rubber mats, not touching the doors, and I am stil getting shocked if you find a solution let me know. I hate this
    I always get shocks from my nox, however in the last two weeks I have had three rentals, and all of them shock me except for the red one that I now currently have. I did take dryer sheets to my nox interior seats, and that did the trick for about a month. For some reason it seems to be tied to the color of the vehicle. I also have a cloth interior so that made the dryer sheet application easier as well.
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    Wow thats a good one but its not tied to the color of the seats at all. It happens in most vehicles and you'll notice it more during the winter months. Its like when your dragging your fee across a rug then touch another person or metal object.

I have a 99 Infiniti G20 with leather seats and it still happens to me but I prevent it by keeping my left hand on any metal part of the car as I am exiting. That way the static is discharged. You'll notice that it is most prominent if you have cloth seats.

One other thing you can do which is rather difficult is to try to raise yourself up out of your seat rather than sliding out of the seat.
    Read the reply again, not the color of the seats, the color of the vehicle. I have owned two red vehicles and never got a shock, all other colors and other vehicles seem to do this. Its a mystery. Grab the plastic part on the upper part of the nox and everyone should be fine as well :)
    My apologies, I did read your post incorrectly in reference to vehicle color however, the rest of my comment stands.
  • lesliemc1lesliemc1 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same thumping noise from my Equinox....and the gas gauge issue.
    I am taking my car in this weekend to see what they tell me. Have you had any luck finding out what the problem is?
  • simonovsimonov Member Posts: 25
    Hi I have an LT Eqinox AWD with 11K miles purchased August 2004...I have never smelled the "Smell" but I am wondering if I should have the hoses changed anyway...what do you think...also...why does this take two days????
    I have an LT Eqinox AWD with 11K miles purchased August 2004...I have never smelled the "Smell" but I am wondering if I should have the hoses changed anyway...what do you think...also... does this take two days in the shop????
    I have to say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Just keep an eye on things. I finally have my Nox back after back and forth to the dealer for two weeks. I have had three rentals as well. Happy to report that I have not had any other problems with my Nox it seems to be running just fine, good to have it back. The whole process of fixing the coolent smell according to my dealership is two to three days. If you do decide to do this, make sure they bleed the system of all air before they give it back to you. They did not do this at first with mine that's why it went right back in to them. ;) By the way my nox is an awd with 1800 miles on it with a production date of Jan 05. I do not think at least of that date they have fixed the problem during production.
  • suvshopper6suvshopper6 Member Posts: 1
    I would also like to hear from anyone knowing status on the assembly line updates; I am seriously considering a 'Nox for purchase within next 30-45 days, LT AWD, but only if I can verify that these many issues discussed in this forum have been resolved in manufacture phase. Otherwise, I'm going with the much more reliable, but not as beautiful, Honda Element! It's such a shame, too; the 'Nox is a gorgeous vehicle and a great value...IF you can stay out of the service bay!
  • rich11rich11 Member Posts: 2
    Mfg date 3/1/05. The smell appeared at about 300 miles, so the factory hasn't changed anything by 3/1/05. It went to the dealer at 1,000 miles for the procedure. The dealer followed an older TSB and did not change the hoses. I pointed out the TSB number that was posted on the forum and he then looked the new one up. The bad news is they have been waiting for a hose on "backorder" for the last week, so its been 10 days now. Hopefully it comes in soon. They have been very communicative and offered a rental which we didn't take. We have not had any other problems with it. The vehicle is better than the 03 Jeep grand cherokee that we had which needed brakes every 15,000 miles and developed an intermittent starting problem that Jeep could not duplicate. The Equinox gets combined 20 mpg and its fairly flat around here.
    Caution is required when removing this coolant cap. "Caution Label" is posted.
    Treat it just like you would treat a radiator cap. It should be removed only when vehicle is cool.
    This is not just a reservoir tank, but part of the whole cooling system.
    It is called a "Coolant Surge Tank" which is part of the radiator's cooling system.
    Steam and scalding liquids from a hot cooling system can blow out an burn you badly. Please use Caution!
    Normally in a closed cooling system there are no odors.
    If this cap is loose or if there is a leak somewhere, loose heater hose clamp, surge tank clamp, or bad core, then the odor will be present.
    I opened my "Coolant Surge Tank" when my Nox was cool and had no significant odor. Coolant does have odor when hot and when it leaks.

I believe people are opening this cap under pressure and hot coolant gases are blown out of the Surge Tank and that is what they smell.

Also, if this cap is loose, the hot coolant gasses can be released.
  • lori68lori68 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,My rear passenger doors were not properly put on right and caused the paint to wear off.It is in the body shop now .I hope this problem doesn't persist.But, watch the inside of the doors for paint damage.I have had my Equinox for a year now and have 9300 miles on it and seems to be in the dealer for quite a bit.I am having trouble now with the tow....my rear tires have no inner tread...totally worn out and i am getting no explanation as to why.They say i must of hit a pothole ,well yes that is possible but should not cause that amount of damage.
    Lori in Mi
  • htseat2000htseat2000 Member Posts: 1
    hey,
    i noticed the poor gas mileage too at one time, but i turned my traction control off. If you have traction control, turn it off. grant it, it is a pain in the butt because every time you turn off the car and then start it back up it automatically turns the traction control on and you have to turn it off, but you will notice a 2 to 3 mpg difference. we average about 21 to 22 driving around st. louis.
  • waitinfor06ionwaitinfor06ion Member Posts: 32
    After having read about the effort to park or turn this puppy, has any owner measured how many turns it takes to go from wheel lock to wheel lock?

Still have that question about 2006 color Bermuda Green metallic (36U). A poster somewhere mentioned it was similar to a blue-green. Has anyone seen a chip in different lighting that can state for a fact how it looks?

My thanks to all.

vaiting....
    Thank you for your wonderful help and timely assistance for my May 26th questions. The answer to my color question was found somewhere else; yesterday May 30th.

Apparently, the wheel lock to wheel lock is the normal 3.4 turns despite the seemingly effort of 100 full turns to lock wheels on the Equinox as expressed by some current owners.

I just LOVE being ignored in my little 10 year-old Geo Metro hatchbacked coupe and handicapped plates.

vaiting....
    We purchased the Galaxy Silver LT and have not seen the new green color.

I do like the Nox in Green with the polish rims.

My wife and I have no complaints about the steering effort or parking the Nox.
    We found it very easy to maneuver into parking spots, alot easier than a minivan.
  • rich11rich11 Member Posts: 2
    Cooling update: The car is back and the smell appears to be gone. The hose changes are apparently to make sure that the hoses were not damaged by the neutralizing solution.
    My Mfg date is 1/05 and your is date is 3/05. (Mfg doesn't put the day on the door tag)
    According to your posting I have the Old hoses, but I don't have the odor problem you have. My coolant color looks good and no floating residue.
    I'm a little puzzled by this. :confuse:
    One would think that if every Nox out there has the Old hoses, also would have this
    Odor problem. :surprise:
    If they are all made at the same plant, with the same parts, and with the same hoses, Then all Nox's would be back in the shop. This is Not happening.
    According to the TSB they are only treating it on a complaint basis, which means its not a serious problem and will not cause damage to your cooling system.

Like I said in my Posting #425, the coolant system is a sealed system, and the "Coolant Surge Tank" should not be opened when hot. It should be only opened to add coolant.

I currently have 3000 mile on my Nox with no problems. :D

The Smart thing to do, if you do not have this odor problem, would be to wait toward the end of your 3yr/36,000mi warranty, and if there is an odor by then, have the hoses replaced.
    I think this is a Smarter way to maintain your Nox. ;)
  • alwayssumthinalwayssumthin Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 LS Nox AWD w/ 9700 miles on purchased in July04. I have always had the smell everyone complains about..I finally got it fixed, I had "contaminated hoses" and the dealership replaced them. I have re-occuring brake/rotor problems that are baffling the svce dept..I have been in three times for new brake pads. The rotors have been resurfaced once and replaced twice ?? I have also had "Calibration" problems..the car is slighltly and subtely downshifting by itself when I drive it, especially going down hills. It just doesn't seem like it has the "oooomphhh" it should when I'm on the gas..It feels like it's holding back power..The dealership fixed this problem a month ago and just over the weekend it started again. Last time they called the fix: "reprogram calibration". Anyone else have this problem? :confuse: Although I love my Nox..this power problem is very annoying :mad:
  • desertdiamonddesertdiamond Member Posts: 1
    We purchased our Equinox (LS AWD) almost a month ago. So far the only problems I am having is the gas mileage. Far from the 19/25 posted on the window sticker. I traded in a VW Jetta that had EXCELLENT" gas mileage. I knew I was going to lose some, but not to this extent. The vehicle already had 75 miles on it when we purchased it and so far I've had to fill the gas tank up 5 times within the month. I'm getting close to 16/20, if even that. Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem?

Also, my car was manufactured in 09/04. What are my chances of getting the "odor" problem? Or is it something the dealers should have taken care of with cars that were still on the lot? I've got just over 1000 miles on it and no odor yet.

The only other thing I notice is a slight noise upon acceleration. The best way I can describe it is almost the sound of a rattlesnake (I'm from AZ). The noise it's rattle makes when it's ready to attack. Anyone heard that too?

Other than those problems and the rear seat headrests, I love this car. When they first came out and I saw the commerical last summer, I told myself I was going to purchase one. And I did.

Any help from other readers would be greatly appreciated.
    Does anybody know what the name of the manufacturer is of the stereo, and speakers for the xm system in the nox? :shades:
    Hi, Mr. and Mrs. J Dandy.

My 81-year-old father and I found out today how easy it is to do a left hand u-turn on a three lane highway intersection. He thumped up to the passenger door...all 133 pounds of him...oops.

We did not see green at my father's dealer. The Laser Blue sure does looks good.

As a fellow LT owner, may I ask if your seats are all cloth or strips of leather on the outside edge. Our's a done deal, of course. I'm wondering if my internet research was incorrect. I thought I read that the LS had all cloth seats and the LT had part leather and part material seats. My Monterory label says LT. Yes, I know I'm nit-picking.

Thank you both for answering my previous questions.

NOT vaiting anymore!
    Hello Mr. and Mrs. America i.e. Jim_Dandy.

Wanted to edit my prior message but no joy there.

I re-invented the wheel, so to speak, by re-doing my research to find that the cloth is premium in the LT and just cloth in the LS and my color is only in the LT.

So, please do ignore my question about your interior seating materials. Thank you.

not vaiting anymore...J.K.
  • jcnjjcnj Member Posts: 1
    I've had the strut problem and the problem with the coolant, both which have satisfactorily fixed by the dealer. I too have had the the thumping noise, usually 3, shortly after starting the car and taking off. From an earlier post, I see it may be related to the ABS sensors.

I currently have about 13,500 on car and started experiencing a pulsing in the steering wheel at around 10,000 when applying brakes at a higher speeds. This is usually associated with brakes. Has anyone else had this problem? It seems to be getting worse. I've never experienced brake problems like this on a new car. It seems odd since the last car I had I got 80,000 miles on each set of brakes.

Also, I went through some deep puddles this morning and I thought a freight train was coming through the car. There was a tremendous roar from the front end tires are and a lot of thumping. It sounded as if the tires were actually rubbing on the wheel wells, which I know is not possible. Could this be related to the ABS or a potentially worse brake problem?

Any suggestions on a CD player that does not work? All it does is heats up and gets hot. I agree with many of the post on this car about the gas mileage. It is like Jeckel and Hyde. Under the same conditions from week to week, 1 week I will get 20 mpg and the next week I might get 13 mpg. My average is 17 in combined highway and city. I'm somewhat dissapointed over this.

Looking forward to any suggestions
    Welcome to the Nox family!

We had good luck with ours.

The LT comes with the upgraded cloth interior.
    Our Nox has leather option with the 1SD package.
    Leather ($545) is optional on the LT and has to be ordered with the 1SD package($550).
    Hi! Thank you both.

It rained enough here Friday to use the window wipers.

I was having a Senior Moment. I heard our salesman mutter "we have a SC" as he went sailing out of his cubicle Wednesday afternoon.

My last new vehicle was a 1994 Plum Saturn SL1 that I sold back to the dealer after I moved to San Francisco in 1996 from San Diego, California. S. F.'s a terrible place to have a vehicle; a great public transit system tho'.

I'll have to look for those GM squares tomorrow that has generated so much talk.

The 1SD package sounds like a nice package...worth the money; in my opinion.

JK
  • eska2eska2 Member Posts: 1
    Im thinkin of gettin a nox but the more I read about them the more problems people seem to be havin. The one Im lookin at was produced in Apr. 05. Do u guys think they may have got some of the kinks out the the coolant and engine problems?
    Eska
    Eska2

I know it seems as if the Nox has an awful lot of problem but you have to take into consideration that many of the folks here are speaking of their particular problem/s on more than one occasion so while it may seem like a lot of folks are having problems that may not actually be the case.

As for the coolant problem GM issued a fix for it back in Jan. If you decide to buy a Nox simply ask your dealer if the vehicle has had all applicable TSBs applied to it. If they tell you they wouldn't know until after the sale or some dumb crap like that, just walk away and go to another dealer.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    FWIW I've been reading the posts here for some time, as I'm contemplating the purchase of an Equinox as my next vehicle (to eventually replace my 2000 Impala). The only problem posted here that really concerns me is the report of lower than anticipated gas mileage. Granted a lot of variance can be attributed to how an individual drives, but my results with the Impala have been dead on with those on the window sticker (20 city/30 hwy on the sticker; I've gotten no lower than 18 and as high as 34; but generally average about 23 in my mixed daily driving). I think the Nox lists at something like 19/25, which based on my Impala experience means I should average around 20 mpg - which isn't that bad. But there are clearly folks posting here who aren't even getting that on the highway, let alone in town.
    Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I have been wanted a Nox for some time now but have been holding off exactly for that reason. My current car (99 Infiniti G20) gets 23City/32Highway. Excellent mileage as far as im concerned and I don't want to go down to 18. I think this problem really needs to be addressed by GM.

But people need to keep in perspective that what you see on the sticker in terms of mileage is not from the automaker but the EPA. GM has nothing to do with it. This is the fault of the government using out-dated methods to determine a vehicles fuel mileage.

The EPA has said the they are currenly working on updating their current testing methods but who knows when we'll actually get something thats more accurate.
    I have the 6 cd player premium sound system. CD no longer works.....cannot eject, load or play...it says "Initializing" when you press the eject or load button but then nothing...when I hit source to switch from radio to cd it shows the cd and track # and then just goes back to radio and does not play the cd. I tried pulling the fuse under the hood as suggested in this forum..."NADA"...any suggestions before I call the dealer and take it in
  • mommy2bellemommy2belle Member Posts: 1
    What ever happened with the hard shifting? I had my Equinox for a week and the same thing is happening. I went right to the dealer but of course when the service guy drove it, it was fine. He told me to come back if it happens again, which it is but at least I can let him know it's not only mine. Thanks
  • worry2muchworry2much Member Posts: 14
    Today I took my Equinox for its first highway road trip. Up to this point I am getting 18-20 mpg city. I drove from Wichita, KS to Tulsa, OK. As an an experiment I drove it down without using AC and used the cruise 2/3 of the way. When I went to top it off for the return trip, I was reduced to tears...only 19 mpg. It was too hot not to use AC on the way back. Did not use cruise and pushed the speed limit "a bit" - hehehe. Get ready for this...return trip was 26 mpg. I was shocked! Iwill keep you posted if this continues. May be there is hope for this vehicle after all. :surprise: :surprise:
  • benebene Member Posts: 2
    I have just purchased my brand new Equinox and I am apparently too short to fit comfortably in the seat because the headrest protrudes forward! No matter how I adjust the seat, I can't sit back comfortably because the headrest pushes my head forward. So far the dealer hasn't found a solution. I wanted to have the headrest turned around, but he said they don't come out! I hate to have to drive with a pillow considering I have a brand new car that should be comfortable!
    Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated...Thanks!!
  • luv_my_noxluv_my_nox Member Posts: 14
    Purchased our New LT FWD Equinox Jan 31. MFG date: 1/05. Equipped with Sunroof and Leather. After 3000 miles and about 5 months I am happy to report no problems. I'm impressed with the paint, build, fit and finish. It is a nice looking vehicle. Received lots of compliments. My wife loves it. I'm impressed with the ride, handling, and acceleration. Transmission is smooth and responsive. Currently getting about 19 mpg combined.
    My past GM vehicles ran 180,000 miles before selling them in VG condition.

The RAV 4 and Honda CRV looks outdated when parked next to our Equinox.
    Their spoilers looks like an after thought!

"What makes it even better" Equinox problems are much less than the 2004-05 Lexus RX330. Brake Failures and Transmission problems are occurring. Equinox problems are also much less than the 2003-04 Nisson Murano's CVT transmission problems and leaks. Power steering problems. Oh, by the way, if the Murano's alternator fails, it will leave you stranded. It's been a common occurrence. Most vehicles will get you to a safe location with a failed alternator. Check it out, it's all posted at the NHTSA web site (complaints and recalls) and on Edmunds Postings
    Now, I am glad that I did not buy a Lexus RX330 or Murano. :P

Luv my Nox :shades:
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Do you think there could have been headwind/tailwind issues on the trip? I know I've driven across Kansas before and had a vehicle overheat because the wind was blowing so strongly from the south that there wasn't enough air entering the radiator as I drove west!!
  • kit2kit2 Member Posts: 1
    I drove a rental equinox for about 120 miles and got 24 mpg
  • poppaosopoppaoso Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my headrests. They seem to be leaning too far forward. My wife is about 5'10 and she cannot find a comfortable position for the headrests. If anyone knows of a fix or an aftermarket product please let me know. We love all of the features that the Equinox has but the headrest is a headache!
  • luvmyequinoxluvmyequinox Member Posts: 12
    I have had this issue lately as well! Does not matte what I am wearing, I get shocked touching the door. I don't mean a little twinge. It's enugh to hear getting out of the car around traffic. Good thing I don't have a pacemaker. :) Any solution yet? I have a black 05. Cloth seats. :mad:
  • luvmyequinoxluvmyequinox Member Posts: 12
    I just passed 10500 miles. Gas mileage has gotten better, but mostly on long trips. I can drive 38 miles to work each way, each day and only get 20 mpg all highway. But every time I do a business trip say close to the end of the tank I get around 270 miles or 25 mpg. Weird. Dealer of course plays dumb. There is a new TSB out from GM, for the transmission shifting. I seen it in one of the posts here. TOld the dealer I don't like the transmission jumping down to a lower gear while I'm going down a hill and reving the motor to 4000 rpm at 60 mph. So yesterday I had the transmission programmed. Shifts allot smother. I'll post later if it helps with the mileage. The K&N filter does help. No matter what anyone states. Over the past 10500 miles I done a swap from the factory to K&N and back for several tanks. It definitely does better with the K&N. And my dealer says it won't void the warranty. I was very pissed and disturbed at the gas mileage that everyone complains about. My 4.3L in my Blazer did better than the NOX at first. GM does need to do something. As far as the sticker goes on the window. We can all thank the goverment for sitting on their asses on that one.
    Thanks for the feedback. I scheduled an appointment with the dealer. First, for the complimentary oil change at 3K but then I will have them cover the other issues I am having. My Nox is also shifting "funny" but this is from a person who has driven a "stick" for the past 15 years (and boy do I miss it). It seems to bog down at times between 2nd and 3rd and 3rd and 4th. I told them I was getting 19/19. I am not going to mention that 26 mpg I got on that highway trip because I only got that one way (once). I also have this squeak that sounds like a bird chirping. It drives me nuts. Think it may be coming from the sunroof but I cannot localize it while driving Otherwise, I love this vehicle. It is attractive, roomy and runs fairly decently. I I think some things need to be tweaked. GM has to be aware of the issues with this vehicle. I am seeing more and more of then on the road. A lot more. So, people have to be bringing them in and questioning the mpg. I am going to mention some of the comments noted here and see what the dealer says. I will post back after Thursday and will let you all know! :confuse:
    Got the best mpg driving west to north. Was not that windy that day. But the worst was south to east (it really dropped going east - the south portion had potential of being good).
    You should inpsire us all. I love it so far, just wish it got better hwy mileage. It gave me a glimmer of hope but I am still holding out. Nice to see you have done your research too!