Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford 2001 Heavy Duty F-250

Comments

• gossamargossamar Member Posts: 106
    Decided to check back with this forum after being away for about 1-year. The ford-diesel site has a section dedicated to "gassers", where I have been lurking. To re-introduce myself to the new crowd, I have a 2000 F250 XLT 4x4 V-10 Auto 3:73..all options EXCEPT the electronic shift on the fly(esof). Mods I have added are Jet Performance Chip, Borla Cat-back Exhaust, K & N filter, RHINO liner. I have also added a sonnax shift valve and tri-cummulator springs to the transmission. I only have about 15,000 miles on the truck and have had few problems. Replaced 1-steering stabilizer, 1-power steering pump due to leaks. Recently had the IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE replaced. For you gassers out there, especially the V-10's, if you truck exhibits vapor lock symptons on hot days, or stumbles in reverse backing, this is most likely the problem. Mileage in town averages 9-10 with heavy foot, short trips. Mileage on road 13-15 if speed kept under 75-mph.
    For JAY107, one of the reasons that some trucks sit more level than others is the snow plow package. The snow plow package gives you the highest rated springs(called "X") 6000#'s, and brings the front end up about 1-2". I believe there was a TSB for some of the earlier trucks because of spring sag. Several guys over in the other forum just ordered the "X" springs and had the dealers install them. I have them on mine and have NO problems with the ride. I even keep my tires up around 70-psi and still rides better than wifes car. Now as far as tires on the stock rims, the 265's are about as big as you can go "by the book". I believe the 285's take a .5 size bigger. Many guys over in the other chat room have done it, while others have run into problems with the tire dealers not wanting the liability.
    As far as the auto hub locking feature, there a couple of reasons I decided against it. First, as mentioned before, there were still bugs with them when I ordered my truck 2-years ago. Second, if backing a heavy load/trailer, you can take advantage of the lower gearing without engaging the front end. This can really save the automatic tranny from burning up. However, if you do suspect your tranny is getting hot, there is a TSB for some late 99 early 2000 trucks for extra tranny cooling. The TSB adds a water cooler in addition to the air cooler that is already there. I have had it done and noticed a change in every day in-town driving temperatures. Congrats to all those with new trucks, I already have my next one specked out....now if I can only convince the wife.......
  • swooshmanswooshman Member Posts: 56
    Hey everyone... My dad has a 2001 Platinum Edition with the limited slip 3.73 rear and the 7.3 diesel engine.. It's a very sweet truck!!!! Anyhow, what I am wondering, is there any way to find out which number truck this is.. I think they only made so many of this edition truck to commerate the 1 millionth super duty to roll off the lot.. Can anyone tell me any info of this truck?? It is greatly appreciated.. :)

Swoosh
    PS: I have a dicsussion on the 2001 Platinum truck started so you can have a look.. :)
  • jay107jay107 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for your valuable info., I found it very interesting about the snow plow package as I will have that on my 2002 F350 that I still have about 5 weeks to wait for. I saw a 2002 on the lot the other day and I saw the new reflector headlights and they do look good. My truck was ordered a Lariat supercab, short bed, V10, auto., 4.30 ls, snow plow prep, and I did get the ESOF, because after my last couple of trucks being Ram 2500's with shift on the fly, I was spoiled as to not having to get out in the snow to engage hubs.
  • bobh12bobh12 Member Posts: 140
    Gossamer, welcome back, I remember when you were a regular on the Super Duty site. I was lurking around then, didn't have one had an F-150 on order, but used to watch the Super Duty thread for good info and humor, remember "Crazy Elvis" and some of the others?

As for the Platinum Edition I don't believe it is limited production such as the Lightning, it is an option package that was available on 01s and is still available on the 02s, so I don't think it has specific production numbers, such as 332 of 5000.
    ...Glad I can share some of the knowledge gained from this site and others, in addition to owning the truck for about 2-years. Has anyone heard from Crazyelvis??? Does he check in from time to time?? If I remember correctly he was down in florida. Yeah, our discussions got pretty comical at times......

As far as the platinum edition, it is like the "LE" version of the dually. Alot of it depends on the dealer knowledge for these special option groups because most of the time they are not in the regular brochures....then again, I have not yet seen the 2002 brochures to see if the Platinum option is mentioned. I have seen one from a distance, and they had some pictures posted over in the diesel site....looks SHARP!!!

If any of you are in the Illinois area, I do have a good dealership and salesman that will help make those dreams come true. They are right in the middle of farm country, so they have a high allotment for truck ordering. What is the average time you guys are waiting now?? 2-years ago, it was 8-weeks to the day that I got mine into the garage.

Speaking of picking up new truck...for those of you doing this....check over the paint VERY carefully for little specks of what looks like dirt. It is actually what is known as rail-dust. There is a dealer TSB on this, but maybe they are protecting the trucks better now than they did in the past. See attatched thread, scroll down to the Z-18 clay bar and happy reading.

http://www.zainobros.com/files/info.htm

I have been using these products for almost a year now and this stuff ROCKS!!! I thought that I kept a clean truck...but after using the clay bar, I was almost embarrassed. If others have questions, please don't hesitate to ask....
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    Good to see you back.. I've been here the whole time.. I haven't seen elvis in a looong time..

My SD is as great as ever.. 00 F250 xlt SC 4x2 5.4L 5sp 4.10LS, around 29k miles.

Which of the Zaino products do you use? just the clay bar, or do you use the Z-02 as well?
    I just recieved my VIN from my dealer and he said that I could have my truck any day now. I was originally told about 8 weeks wait time, but he ordered my truck on 8-16-01 along with another guys truck and the other truck was delivered yesterday. Does anybody know what the normal wait period is after recieving a VIN? Thanks
    Bess....glad to see you are still around...man you have like double the mileage I do!! I guess the 1.5 mile drive to work makes a difference!! As far as the Zaino stuff, I used Ajax to strip off the old wax. Then I used the clay bar lubricated with the Zaino car wash solution to go over the whole truck. Then I applied the polish lok, and have now about 5-coats of Z-2 on the truck and maybe one coat of Z-5. I also use the gloss enhancer spray about once per week between coats to keep things looking good. Have you used the products yet?? If not, GET IT!! A little pricey at first, but after you see the results it is well worth it. I am due for another coat this weekend, trying to get a good build up before winter hits. Although the heated garage in the winter time does make it a bit easier to do touch up coats of wax.
    Have you had any issues with your truck?? A friend of mine has a Y2K crew cab 4x4 dually diesel with about 30K and has had zero problems thus far. The only complaint he has is that his front tires are wearing a bit funny, but most of those miles is yanking around a gooseneck horse trailer......
    catch ya later....
    I'll look into the Zaino stuff. Do auto stores carry it? It would be nice if they had a real online order system.. Ya'll make me smile with the mods you do.. My truck is about as stock as they come. The only mods are: Ford Lighted logos in the grille and tailgate and a penda bedmat.
    I've not had it in for any warranty work and the only minor complaints:
    -I sortof wish it sounded better.. The engine still has a air whooshy sound on acceleration, but I'm too cheap to get headers or exhaust mods.
    -On 90 degree+ days where the truck sits out in the sun all day, I will get some cab 'pops'. This is the cab mounting bolts issue that others have had TSB work done on.. It's not frequent enough for me to do anything about..
    - Thinking about aftermarket shocks.. Running with no load on washboard dirt roads does make the rear end a bit lively..I've heard others claim amazing results with Rancho's and Bielstiens.

Overall my 'likes' far far far outweigh the minor issues I listed above..
    - plenty of room for bikes, gear, kids, wife.
    - Its a great looking truck.
    - I love the power (5.4L 5sp 4.10LS). It really is easy to drive..
    - my AVERAGE mpg is 16.0. And does even better when I'm on the highway..
    - Tires are still in excellent shape, (rotating them every 10k miles)..
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Zaino bros products are only available direct, either by phone or internet. It is not avilable in retail stores.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Here's the Ford Truck VIN decode. Hope it helps.

Group 1: World Manufacturer Identifier
    Group 2: Brake Type and GVWR
    Group 3: Vehicle Line, Series, Body Type
    Group 4: Engine Type
    Group 5: Check Digit
    Group 6: Model Year
    Group 7: Assembly Plant
    Group 8: Production Sequence Number

Group 1..positions 1-3 - World Manufacturer Code

1FM - FMC, USA, multi-purpose vehicle
    1FT - FMC, USA, truck, completed vehicle
    1FD - FMC, USA, incomplete vehicle
    1FC - FMC, USA, basic (stripped) chassis
    1FB - FMC, USA, basic (stripped) chassis BUS

2FM - FMC, Canada, multi-purpose vehicle
    2FT - FMC, Canada, truck, completed vehicle
    2FD - FMC, Canada, incomplete vehicle
    2FC - FMC, Canada, basic (stripped) chassis
    2FB - FMC, Canada, basic (stripped) chassis BUS

3FC - FMC, Mexico, basic (stripped) chassis
    3FE - FMC, Mexico, incomplete vehicle
    3FM - FMC, Mexico, multi-purpose vehicle
    3FT - FMC, Mexico, truck, completed vehicle

Group 2.....Brake Type and GVWR POSITION 4

Don't worry about the codes - you already know if you have air brakes, and whether you have an F-250 or an F-550.

Group 3.... Vehicle Line, Series, Body Type - positions 5, 6, 7

F20 - F250 RC 4x2
    X20 - F250 SC 4x2
    W20 - F250 CC 4x2
    F21 - F250 RC 4x4
    X21 - F250 SC 4x4
    W21 - F250 CC 4x4
    F30 - F350 RC 4x2 SRW
    X30 - F350 SC 4x2 SRW
    W30 - F350 CC 4x2 SRW
    F31 - F350 RC 4x4 SRW
    X31 - F350 SC 4x4 SRW
    W31 - F350 CC 4x4 SRW
    F32 - F350 RC 4x2 DRW
    X32 - F350 SC 4x2 DRW
    W32 - F350 CC 4x2 DRW
    F33 - F350 RC 4x4 DRW
    X33 - F350 SC 4x4 DRW
    W33 - F350 CC 4x4 DRW
    F34 - F350 RC (chassis cab) 4x2 SRW
    X34 - F350 SC (chassis cab) 4x2 SRW
    W34 - F350 CC (chassis cab) 4x2 SRW
    F35 - F350 RC (chassis cab) 4x4 SRW
    X35 - F350 SC (chassis cab) 4x4 SRW
    W35 - F350 CC (chassis cab) 4x4 SRW
    F36 - F350 RC (chassis cab) 4x2 DRW
    X36 - F350 SC (chassis cab) 4x2 DRW
    W36 - F350 CC (chassis cab) 4x2 DRW
    F37 - F350 RC (chassis cab) 4x4 DRW
    X37 - F350 SC (chassis cab) 4x4 DRW
    W37 - F350 CC (chassis cab) 4x4 DRW
    ....the F450 and F550 series
    U40 - Excursion XLT, 4x2
    U41 - Excursion XLT, 4x4
    U42 - Excursion Limited, 4x2
    U43 - Excursion Limited, 4x4
    F53 - Recreational stripped chassis (motorhome)

Group 4....Engine Code - position 8

A,Z,L - 5.4L Modular, SOHC, EFI, V8,
    S - 6.8L SOHC, EFI, v10,
    6 - 7.3L, OHV, DI Turbo, V8, Diesel F-Series/Excursion in F-650/F-750
    (no listing for 7.3 in a pickup, but apparently it's an F).

Group 5....check digit

Group 6....Model Year Code - position 10

X = 1999
    Y = 2000
    1 = 2001
    2 = 2002

Group 7....Assembly Plant - position 11

E - Kentucky Truck (Jefferson County, Kentucky)
    M - Cuautitlan (Cuautitlan, Mexico)

Group 8....Serial Number - position 12 - 17

Example:

IFT S W31 S 9 1 E B75718
    1FT = FMC, USA, truck, completed vehicle
    S = F350 SRW
    W31 = F-350 Crew Cab 4x4
    S = V10

9 = check digit

1 = model year 2001

E = assembly plant = Kentucky Truck

B75718 = serial number
  • pipesmokerpipesmoker Member Posts: 23
    What a GREAT web site... absolutely love it. You can surely learn more here than from the dealer.

By the way, from comments I reviewed this week, I ordered some Zaino products yesterday. Bought $50 worth of stuff. Now, if I could only get that call from my dealer advising me my BIG TRUCK was here.

I'll be back. Thanks for all the info. provided.

pipesmoker - Dothan, Alabama
    I got another call today from my dealer who advised me that my new F350 was sitting on his lot and then asked me when I would like to pick it up. It has been 3 weeks and a day since I ordered it! I want to thank "Wpalkowski" for the VIN info. It was usefull in figuring out the VIN the dealer had given me for my new truck. Thanks.
    Gentlemen: My BIG TRUCK has been delivered. I picked-up my truck from the dealer on 9-14-01, I ordered this truck on 8-02-01.

Wow, what a truck!! Awesome!!!

I have not put 500 miles on the truck yet. So far this is a great truck. Fully loaded with all available options, Lariet package, 4x4 shift on fly, V-10, 3.73 rear end, six disc CD, etc., etc.

I plan on buying accessories, i.e., metal tool box, brush/grille guard, bed liner.

I'll be reporting back.

Happy in Dothan, Alabama --pipesmoker
  • frankno1frankno1 Member Posts: 68
    Have a shift on the fly F250 SD 2001 4X4. Sat down last night and was reading the owners manual got to the 4wd section and notice on locking front ends that shift on the fly has an "A" vs an "L." position and Ford recommends you leave it in the "A" position. Went out and checked mine for the halibut and guess what it has been in the "L." position ever since I owned it. (15,000 miles). My question is have I done any damage to the front drive? I know I have lost a lot of gas mileage but I can live with that. Any ideas please advise. This had to come from factory this way, there goes the quality control I've heard so much about.
    Thanks ahead
    Frank K.
  • bobsquatchbobsquatch Member Posts: 136
    Not Good. Just 15000 miles of unneeded wear and tear. Not likeley to be a problem but you should check them often as the nogoodnicks will sometimes lock one just to mess with it. Haveing one locked is way worse than both.
  • bartc1bartc1 Member Posts: 4
    I hear these F350 and F250 4X4 PSD are so heavy they sink in serious off road conditions. Anybody ever have that problem out there? I love these trucks because of there size and towing ability and hope to buy one in '02. I am interested to hear how they actually do off-road.
    Weight is almost always bad in sand but dont panic. I can pull a 6000lb trailer through the little dunes in glamis with a 2wd ford diesel van with an open diff. A little less air in the tires and a little practice and you can wheel anything. Just dont corner yourself, Backing up always got me stuck with that trailer.
  • fordtuffordtuf Member Posts: 101
    when he goes offroad, and he does it a lot, his friend with a PSD often gets to the point of bogging down. His friend now will not go through everything that he does. They both have some serious mud tires too. My cousin has F150 w/8" lift and 36" or 38" tall tires.
    Most folks with F250 PSD's get the 3.73 rear end ratio.. this coupled with the extra weight of the PSD and the larger tires, it is understandable that it might bog in some situations..

However your buddy with the F150 and 8" lift, and 36" tires, I would bet has also put in different rear end gears, (like 4.30 or a 4.56).
  • ricom560ricom560 Member Posts: 10
    Any input on this vehicle's problems with the 4EOD transmission hard-shifting when towing travel trailer and what can be done about it. Thanks, Recom560
    I have an E code KENTUCKY TRUCK!!! I was really concerned about where my truck came from especially considering the 9-11 tradgedy. I want every dime I spend to go to U.S. workers and our economy. Thanks again WPALKOWSKI For all the VIN info. Is there any way I can track my truck with this info. My dealer says it is on the rail right now but I would like to know more details.
  • frobeyfrobey Member Posts: 17
    You can try the following site (for Burlington Northern rail) My truck never showed up as being on the rail so I don't know how accurate it is. Plus since Sept 11th they've changed it now so that you have to register and show that you are a "customer". I don't know if we are considered "customers".

http://www.bnsf.com/bnsf.sph/myBNSF

You can always call Ford Customer service at (800) 392-3673 and ask them. They'll need the dealer's name, the order number, and the VIN. Course, they didn't have a clue where my truck was but it's worth a try.

Frank

Thanks Frank
  • white250white250 Member Posts: 68
    just got the rhino liner put in , it's well worth the money. Also installed the fold-a-cover, its a hard folding-locking tonneau cover. And got the drivers/passangers windows tinted to match the rest. I just love this truck !!!!!!!
  • benr0benr0 Member Posts: 22
    How is that Fold a cover to install, I have been looking at it and also a rollnlock.
    I got the LS series fold a cover , which is their upgraded version. It took about a hour to install & about another hour to adjust everything. I,m happy with it. If you buy one , get it online. It is much cheaper, ( about $100-$150 less ). I got mine through tntserve.com $ 505 + $60 for shipping, plus there is no tax .
    I did get mine on-line. I looked at tntserv but I ended up ordering from kcovers, on-line it said they will match or beat any price. I told them what tntserv quoted, they checked it out and quoted me 559.95 so I went with them. Waiting to receive now.
    I,m sure you will like this cover, it is so versatile. I sure do like my rhino liner, that was well worth the money.
  • heh1heh1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone been experiencing front break noise? I have a '01 SD 4x4 Crew with only 10K, and have been experiencing a metal to metal screech since about 3K. I've been to the dealership twice and they are telling me that this is normal due to new EPA regs cutting the use of asbestos in the pads. They have also told me that Ford is having lots of complaints about this and there's really nothing they can do about the problem. I do not consider myself a "car guy", but have taken those who are out to listen, and they say the sound is not normal and to get it checked out. Have any of you out there had to deal with this?
  • jcave1jcave1 Member Posts: 137
    Yes indeed, '01 PSD SB front brake noise started around 2500 miles. Not queried other owners but have spoken with three different dealerships who all state the noise is normal. Pacific Northwest rains have started and I haven't noticed the noise since.
    O1' F-250 SC 4X4 2000 MILES

NO BRAKE NOISE YET, I'LL INFORM IF I DO THO.

WE ALSO HAVE A 01' SPORT TRAC, THE BRAKES ON THAT STARTED MAKING NOISE AT A FEW THOUSAND MILES. WE TOOK IT IN AND THEY RESURFACED THE ROTORS. IT HAS BEEN FINE EVER SINCE & NOW HAVE 20,000 ON IT. WE LOVE BOTH TRUCKS
  • wcdanwcdan Member Posts: 8
    Okay, let's see if I can explain this right. Unlike most vehicles, where the rocker panels can be seen under the doors, the F250's rockers are covered by the doors, and can only be seen when they are open. The top edge seems very vulnerable to scratches (we have a F250 at work, and the paint is all worn away from shoes scuffing the top edge) since there is nothing there to protect them, and I want to prevent this from happening to my truck. I have checked around, and though the companies Putco and Autoventshade make door sill protectors, I can't find anything that would protect the paint of the rockers. Has anybody out there found any rocker panel protectors, and is using them?
    Are you talking about the area thats above the cab steps, but below the lower door seal?
    That area on my truck doesn't have one scuff or scratch.. I guess the cab steps must keep the feet from needing to hit this area..
    I have a 2002 SD 4x4 (white w/ two-tone Arizona Beige). I have NO scuff marks on my rockerpanel. I have stock chrome step bars on mine so I have no need to bang-up and scrape my rocker panels.

Pick your feet up!!!
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    I have a F-350 with the factory cab steps. So far, no scratches on the rocker panels. If you don't have the steps, I can see where this could be a problem. Instead of getting the protectors, why not check into some cab steps? Not only will they protect your rocker panels, but they will assist anyone with a short inseam to get in your truck and will look great at the same time.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    I tried pricing an F-250 Crew Cab long-bed with the 7.3 PSD here at Edmunds, but according to this website this truck does not exist. Is that the case?

Does anybody have any thoughts on this configuration, and what gearing would be the best if I opted for the manual transmission? My dad is looking for one do-it-all vehicle that con tow, haul, and comfortably fit 4 people. How does the F-250 PSD stack up to Chevy's lineup?
  • wcdanwcdan Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the replies. I actually have the cab steps which do prevent most scuffs. I guess I just wanted to be a little extra careful, since this is the biggest vehicle purchase I've made to date. I'll just tell me passengers to watch their feet! :)
  • gregpricegregprice Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 F250 SD XLT 4WD SC with a 5.4L motor. When I first picked it up at the dealer, I was getting approx 500 miles to a 38 gal tank. It has been 6 months and 10k miles later and I now struggle to get 400 miles to a tank. I have taken it to the local dealer and they reprogrammed the processor twice but it has not solved the problem. Does anyone have any ideas as to why my mileage is so bad? I emailed ford and they were no help either. (by the way, a friend of mine has a F150 equipped like mine with the same motor and he gets about 15mpg).
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    The 2002 Ford Truck should be an excellent truck. I own a 2002 GMC Duramax/Allison, and it is an excellent truck too. With the ford, and the CC Powerstroke, LB configuration, I would really reccomend the 350 Single wheel version, the GVW I believe is 9900 compared to 8800 for the 250. Most of the PSD CC's weigh in at over 7000 lbs empty, not leaving much rated payload. The 350 option is a bargin. I would highly reccomend the ZF 6 speed with the PSD. It has a higher HP rating of 275, is very reliable, the ford with the automatic has a less powerful rating, the auto sucks up alot of power, and is less reliable.

If you want an automatic, or a quieter truck, I would highly reccomend a 2500HD GM pickup with the duramax/allison. I love mine, but if I wanted a manual, I would seriously look at the PSD. The PSD will be old technology in a year or two, as the new G2 PSD will come out.

visit

For GM info

http://www.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

for Ford info

http://forums.ford-diesel.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Both sights offer a wealth of information that is available, I don't think you can really go wrong with either ford or GM, as long as you stick to the 6 spd on the Ford.

Hunter

Do mean that you run your tank completely dry every time? Are you sure its not just the gas guage looking a little funny or acting strange?

The best way to check mileage is to fill up the tank, reset the trip meter.. Then when you fill up again, try to fill up at the same pump (so the angle of the truck is the same).

Normal for your truck in mixed city/highway driving is somewhere in the 13.x mpgs.

Other factors are where you live and how you drive. Also in the winter months in most states, they switch to 'oxygenated' (sp) fuel which tends to hurt mpgs.. Maybe this is what your experiencing now..
    That was what I was hoping to hear. There's no way you could talk my Dad (or me, for that matter) into getting an automatic. We're just too stuck in our ways!

I think we're leaning towards the Ford at this point. We've never really been pro-Ford, but it does seem that lately the Ford has proven to be a bit more reliable than the Chevys. There sure seems to be a lot of disgruntled Chevy owners out there right now, which is too bad.

Whichever truck we go with, it will have to be soon before the 0.0% financing disappears.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Im sure this is a beatn horse. but one poster said if he drove 15k per year and got 4 mpg better with a .10 cheaper diesel fuel cost the diesel would pay for its self in 5 years. using my math for those numbers i get a 2k advantage over 5 years , making it a 10 years investment to pay for the added 4k cost of the diesel . Does anyone else figure it different ?

thanks
    DL
    It really does depend on the amount of miles you drive, and how much you are going to be pulling etc.. Then figure in oil chg. costs, fuel additives etc.
    In my case it worked out to about a 10 yr. payback. I got the V10, no regrets. Love the response from the pedal.

I also looked at the C****, but too new for me. I bought a first year vehicle once, I won't make that mistake again. Every vehicle builder needs a couple of years to work the bugs out. I won't look at a GM till at least 2004
    My dad is looking at these right now configured with crew cab, 4x4, manual transmission, long bed and PSD. Both trucks use the same PSD and drivetrain, right? Both have the same chassis and body, right? Is the suspension heavier duty on the F-350 so it can haul more, and that's the only difference? The sticker on such an F-350 is $40,200, not much more at all than an F-250. We would really like to know what the difference is between these trucks, and if he should just go with an F-350 instead, being it's only slightly more expensive.
  • jcave1jcave1 Member Posts: 137
    Suspension is about the only difference. 350 has added leaf springs that come into play when the rig is loaded, but not until then. Understand the differentials may be the same in some cases, which might be dependant upon build origin. Have heard of 250's built in Mexico with the Dana 60 which should be for the 350.

Most consider the 350 a better value with the heavier payload.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    I believe that the '02 models are now using the same springs and axles, assuming that the 350 is a SRW. The main difference that I know of is the tires. and badging.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Thanks for the response, looks like you had the same math i did . Plus wont be pulling a lot, so its prob a even bigger spread.

thanks
    DL
    in choosing a diesel. Just a fortunate by product. If you do a lot of hauling/towing and plan on having the rig more than ten years get one. If not you could probably get away with a six cylinder. Most people buy the biggest most powerful truck they can get with no reason other than ego. I have more respect for somone that buys what they need.
    Check out the 8800 vs 9900 lbs truck rating.

Crew Cab 250 4x4 PSD will weigh @ 7600 with no people or gear. No much left to put in box before you are legally overloaded.

Go for 350, won't have no legal weight issues in an accident.

Check out the http://www.ford-diesel.com/ web site for your questions.
This discussion has been closed.