Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• supersambsupersamb Member Posts: 2
    I bought my Equinox in Jan, 05. I have had poor gas mileage since day one. Initially thought it was the transmission, so I had them reprogram it. The mileage did not change significantly, and the transmission still seems to stay in 2nd gear way too long, so that I have to take my foot off the accelerator to make it change. I reviewed some of the postings here looking for a solution, but may have missed something. Must I live with poor mileage?
  • equinoxc8equinoxc8 Member Posts: 45
    Unfortunately yes, during the winter months mileage takes a dive. In the summer you should notice a huge difference. But you must also drive reasonbly steady. Long trips should be kept at a constant speed for the average to take affect. After the transmission re-flash did you lose your downhill mode?
    Did you notice the 4 holes in the roof rails? Those are the only locations where you should lock your roof rack crossrails. Make sure both ends are located towards the same holes and the end levers should just lock closed. see page 2-36 of your 2006 Owners Manual.
  • supersambsupersamb Member Posts: 2
    The problem is that I did not notice a tremendous difference between the winter and summer--it was bad in ALL seasons. I keep records of all of my gas purchases and mileage and the mileage in the summer still did not come close to advertised mileage. Why is the mileage not even close to the advertised mileage?
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    I have an 05 Nox LT FWD, built April 05. I had the trans control module reflashed. It did improve shift quality, but not the mileage. My wife uses the car for work, about 44mi round trip, 50% highway 50% local. During summer/fall, the mileage is 18-19mpg. I few times it hit 20mpg. Now in winter we get 17-18mpg, mainly because my wife warms it up in morning to defrost the windows. I

When we first got the car I suspected the odometer was displaying fewer miles than actually driven. This would make the calculated mpg less than the actual mpg. I don't know by how much.

GM does have TSB 05-06-04-056, issued 9/2/05. The title is "perceived poor fuel economy in city type driving". It says the PCM has a calculation error at speeds associated with city type driving. The odometer is registering less miles than actually traveled. The correction reprograms the PCM to correctly calculate miles driven at lower speeds. It will not correct poor fuel economy at highway speeds.

I've decided not to have the PCM reprogrammed. Our warranty will run out based on mileage. If I have PCM reprogrammed the warranty will run out sooner. While we have not had any other problems, you never know.

I plan to purchase a GMPP extended warranty before we reach 12,000 miles.
  • goodgriefgoodgrief Member Posts: 1
    So... we bought our Equinox LT AWD in Aug. 2004. Shortly thereafter we had the stinky coolant problem- it was fixed, but now there's a new smell (who knows where that's coming from). We also have the cruddy MPG, had a faulty ignition (kept "dinging" even after the key was removed), warped rotors, had the tranny reprogrammed (kept getting stuck in 2nd/3rd gear), and NOW a lifter has gone bad and they'll need it for at least 2-3 days to fix it. I've about had it with this thing. We loved it at first and expected a few little bumps b/c it was a "first-year" model, but this is getting ridiculous.

I'm desperately trying to get the hubby to trade it in. We've had it 17 mo. and it does have 29k on it, but my Grand Prix has never been a problem like this. Can you say :lemon: ? We did purchase an extended warranty to cover us up to 72k b/c we drive 80 mi. round-trip to work 5x/week.

I'd appreciate any advice.
  • judowithjohnjudowithjohn Member Posts: 1
    WHY DOES MY EMISSION LIGHT NOT SHUT OFF AND I ONLY HAVE 8000 ON MY VEHICLE.
  • jazzyjoejazzyjoe Member Posts: 11
    I don't think I have roof rack crossrails, only two rails, one on the right and one on the left that run parallel with the vehicle. I'll look into that theory though.

Also anyone heard a ticking/rattle type wind noise coming from around the drivers side window area??
  • ncolincoli Member Posts: 3
    :lemon: I've had my 2005 AWD LT since May of '04. and just this past week I call chevrolet and told them I don't care what they do I don't want that thing back ever!! It all started for me with my car starting funny about a month after I bought it. It seemed as thought the starter either wasn't working or it would keep trying to start while the vehicle was running. In Aug. '04 my husband and I were on our way to his class reunion and stopped at a store along the way. When I came out I could start the car. After one hour I could start it no problem. Of course they could not recreate the problem. this kept happening on and off. They have since replaced a relay and two starters. I also had a head gasket leak last month and now I have engine problems. I'll let you know what that turns out to be.
  • jlerojlero Member Posts: 1
    I am a gm tech and I also have a 2005 Equinox. My fuel economy has been poor since day one. I first checked the vehicle out and found no problems with engine data. Called GM Technical assistance and was told that the millage had to be at lest 4,000 miles before a fuel consumption test would be valid, at that time I was getting about 10-12 mpg. Now at 10,000 miles I still get poor fuel economy at about 14city/20 hwy. Called TAC again and went through all the data with them. Their response was that there seemed to be nothing wrong with the vehicle, that was just the best it would ever get. They also said that they had a few complaints but not enough to justify a concern on their part. then had my manager contact his gm rep. His response was that the fuel consumption test that I preformed was inaccurate and I needed to have the shop foreman preform the test, and that the problem was probably my driving habits. This is a lie and just their way of trying to cover up a mistake. He also stated that that was just an estimate and that GM doesn't guarantee anything.The only way that anything will ever get done is if enough people contact their gm service dept. and have a fuel consumption test preformed, and the BBB and complain and take action to correct the problem. As a owner and GM technician I will do what I can but everyone that feels they were mislead needs to speak up and not just complain to people that can't do anything about it.
    I purchased a 2006 AWD LT on November 28th 2005 and have been tracking my MPG since I felt I reached break in point (around 1,000 miles) My last 5 tanks I've averaged about 19.50-20.25 MPG in mixed driving (70% HWY/30% CTY). Not bad considering some of the other horrendeous posts but not quite what the window sticker says either.

Couple other issues I've been experiencing though are the driver side window wind rattling/ticking noise, clicking/popping noise from passenger side door panel/glove box area, and now the infamous clunk,clunk,clunk from the rear on cold starts.
  • crazy_drivecrazy_drive Member Posts: 1
    I have had mixed thoughts on the purchase of my Equinox. I pulled the trigger and purchased an LT -Black Amethyst -with custom package. I am enjoying and have nothing negative to say...........I hope it stays that way? Everyone just keep the tires rotated or you will have issues with the all wheel drive! The 2005's did. My gas mileage is ok- average (20) I would like a bigger number, But heck I have AWD? Let me know........
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Pardon me if this has been mentioned to you, but do you drive with the heater in the defrost mode quite a bit? On most modern new cars, this activates the AC without an AC light going on. If you're doing this, you could be losing 10% fuel mileage easily.
    Thanks for the tip, however most times I drive with the heater in the center floor position. I think 20 MPG, for AWD, in mixed driving isn't all that bad though.
    On the (2005) Nox, the A/C is also activated when the mode is set to the center floor position. You need to turn the knob one click to left (towards bi-level) to turn off the A/C compressor. At this point and all positions to the left of this (counter clockwise), you control the A/C compressor and the light indicates when it is on/off. At floor mode and all positions to right the A/C button/light is useless. The compressor runs whether light is on or off. My best mileage is 19-20 mixed driving.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well then there you go. That bit of info is worth 2-3 mpg.
  • bossbubba23bossbubba23 Member Posts: 2
    hi all...
    been reading everyones posting of this apparent 'defective' vehicle. I love mine..but ive had issues...had to change the front console...it was cracking...and GM even was thnking of not changing it because they said - its wear and tear - after a month? i dont think so..
    but for all those who are having front end crunching noises when your turn the wheel (mine was on the rightside) - Mechanics replaced my stabilizers and soooo far its working....i wish i had the bulletin number to give but -- advise mechanics of the area...they should be able to locate
    Enjoy all
    Did the console cracking issue sound like it was coming from the glove box area or possibly the door panel??
  • carolkaycarolcarolkaycarol Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 05 in June 05. I have had it in for service over 10 times in 18 Months. Had the coolant thing and the smell. Hoses replaced, flushed etc, still smells, lately (since it's winter here) when the heat is on, it's nasty and hard to breath in! Had the well water flood thing. Repaired,fabric replaced. It still stunk funky for a while, kind of a sour smell,wasn't sure if it was from the coolant or what! Had the hinge on the door bust right off. Had numerous problems with the ABS. Three times I took it in for service for the brakes, no codes showed any problem on the diagnostic test. The warning light finally went on, by now into ABS everytime I stopped. NOT safe enough for me, when carrying kids in the car on a daily basis. The wheel sensor was finally replaced. BAD NEWS! I am getting rid of it. SAD NEWS! I really liked the car, the AWD the size, comfortable riding etc....
  • bossbubba23bossbubba23 Member Posts: 2
    no no the central console is the thing thats inbetween the drivers seat and passenger seat -- the ARM REST...i guess..sorry for the confusion - the 'pleather' was cracking...
    Gotcha... Thanks I thought you meant the plastic was cracking, cause I got this annoying cracking/popping noise coming from the glove box/door panel area....
    Equinoxc8, Do you know for sure that the 2006 headrests fit in the 2005 seats? I checked with parts dept at my dealer. First he said part numbers he finds are for the 05 and 06. Then he said the 06 headrests may not fit the 05 because the 06 seats are different part numbers from 05? He also said if I order them and they don't fit, I can't return them. He was not willing to research further or contact GM to find out. I'm guessing part numbers will vary based on gray/tan color, electric/manual adjusters, trim level LS/LT and cloth/leather covering. He also said the 06 headrests have removable covers, so I would have to order headrests and covers. I have an 05 LT with gray cloth seats.
  • reedmikelreedmikel Member Posts: 2
    The difference in gasoline expense between reality and what GM/EPA lists is not the sole point. I bought an Equinox thinking I was being a little bit "green"(environmentally responsible) by choosing a vehicle with a higher than average MPG. But I have 16,000 on my Nox and have never gotten anywhere near the 19/25 estimates. I get more like 12/19. And I don't like being lied to by GM!!!
  • reedmikelreedmikel Member Posts: 2
    Just to give some balance in these newsgroups, I'm happy to report that my 05 Equinox (purchased Aug 05, now have 16k miles) has performed well! The ride is very comfortable, acceleration good, interior noise reasonably quiet.

BUT, one sore point is the POOR GAS MILEAGE. I would say my average is more like 13/20. So I'm getting 20% worse mpg than GM(and EPA) estimates! From what I've researched, the tests that the EPA use are very unrealistic. They put the vehicle on a machine(dynamometer?) and compute fuel economy based on levels of by-products detected in the EXHAUST! Talk about stupid! How about just driving the darn vehicle (or several of them) and compute some real mpg numbers? A first grader could do this type of math and come up with much more accurate numbers than GM/EPA.

Another concern I have is the flimsy roof rack. Grab either side rail and pull/tug on it. Look how easily a gap appears between roof and rack. At a minimum water will become trapped underneath and cause rust. A more serious concern is the possible failure of the rack when carrying something - like my kayaks! I think a solution might be to simply tighten the mounting bolts, but that probably means removing the headliner to get at the bolts? I'll bring it up to my dealer on my next appt, but I'll bet the answer is "that's just the way they are" :)

Readers visting this forum should keep in mind that most posts here are to report problems, not lack of them! So undoubtedly this is not a good sole source of reviews when deciding whether to purchase an Equinox or not.
  • renglerengle Member Posts: 7
    I also have a 2005 AWD LT. Ours also has a problem with the starter staying engaged too long. I called a dealer and he said I would have to let it sit and wait for the battery to go dead or he couldn't tell me what the problem is. You turn the key off to stop it and as soon as the key is turned on the starter kicks back in before going to the start position on the ignition. We also have been hearing a chunk-a-chunk-a-chunk sound coming from the rear of the vehicle periodically. They can't tell me what that is either. It sounds to me like some kind of solenoid kicking in and out. We had the coolant problem fixed and also have lousy mileage. I think GM should replace the 2005 rear headrests with 2006 models too. The 2005 model headrest impedes vision and is a real safety problem.
    Have you heard any resolution to the chunk-a-chunk-a-chunk noise. I noted this problem on this site a year ago and nobody had the problem. It sounds more common now. Our NOX also has the starter that doesn't disengage once in a while.
    I have mentioned this clunking to the dealer last year. I told them it sounds like a solenoid to me. Now I want to take it in for this test. Sounds like this is the problem.
    I just found what I think is the answer to the clunk clunk clunk. I always thought it sounded like a solenoid. Read post #652. I think that explains the problem. Thanks to equinoxc8.
  • ncolincoli Member Posts: 3
    There was a problem with some valve the last time I had it in. With the help of the service manager at the dealer I have got GM to buy mine back due to all the problems. I'm happy they are standing behind there product for me. I'm glad to here that they changed the headrests because I agree they are a safety hazard. :D
  • dodd4dodd4 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my car almost a year it has been in the shop 11 times in 11 months i am so sick of gm and there service, my car has been towed in twice my car won't start and when it does it takes it forever, the radio comes on and goes off by itself there is something bad wrong with this car. They have reprogramed the transmisson and put a new strut on it and many more reapirs. We have called gm no answers so we are filing the lemon law the bad thing I love my car when it runs
  • dodd4dodd4 Member Posts: 2
    how did you get them to buy it back we have a lawyer now so please let me
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    I have a loaded 2005 FWD LT, with leather, we bought in January 05.
    We bought this as a family cruiser and as a universal work horse.
    I also have two boys 5 & 10yrs, that ride in it all the time with my wife. She loves the Equinox.
    We had no problems. We get advertised fuel economy, Stereo sounds good, no problems with noise, smells,leaks, interior fit & finish, interior noise, or drivability problems.
    In fact, just the opposite.
    Fit and finish is excellent we find the ride to be excellent.
    Emergency maneuvers are excellent since my wife and I were able to avoid two accidents.
    1st: two kids ran in front of my wife on a hi-way, the anti-locks kicked in, missed the kids with out incident. She keeps telling me, "This Equinox has great brakes".
    2nd: My family and I were on vacation, driving 65mph on I_70 in MO, a car merges and cuts in front of me,
    I swerved hard to adjacent lane without incident. The Equinox road manners are great!
    Knowing that the Equinox is 5 star rated is also a bonus.
    Sorry to hear about problems some are having.
  • jde5jde5 Member Posts: 14
    hi,
    long story, but i've managed to bend my rear driveshaft hanger bearing bracket so that it makes contact w/ the drive shaft when i'm driving 'fast' -- >60km/hr. my dealer corrected the problem for me by straightening the bracket. it's a good thing for me money-wise since a replacement would be far more expensive, but i would appreciate if someone could tell me this solution is ok, and is not considered risky or anything like that.
    i haven't had a chance to drive on the expressway, but i don't hear anymore clanking sound driving upto 80 km/hr.
    thanks!
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    Wow! Doing some off-roading?
    You had to hit pretty hard to bend the bearing bracket.
    According to the shop manual their are two brackets, one is the "bearing support" and the other is "shaft guard loop". If you bent the bearing support you could have also bent your drive shaft. You will eventually know, it will start as a small vibration which will worsen over time.
    If they did the job correctly, you will notice nothing over time.
    The "shaft guard loop" is just a guard shield for the shaft.
  • robin1205robin1205 Member Posts: 1
    Yes renek. I too am having these problems. I have owned the car for 2 months and when I owned it for 3 days I noticed it. The dealership stated that they can do nothing about it. I since brought the auto to another dealer and they heard it right away. They stated that as of 05/26/05 they recognized the problem and diagnosed it as a "normal condition". The service manager agreed that this was not normal and suggested that I contact GM and go to arbitration. I will fight for them to make good with me. I will not purchase from GM again.
  • jde5jde5 Member Posts: 14
    Hello Jim,

Thanks for your input. It's that somewhat U-shaped metal that seems to guard the driveshaft. What does the bearing support look like?

Thanks!
  • tmat1tmat1 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my equinox for about 10 mos and have had intermitent problems with the passenger front window. the motor works most of the time, however sometimes it wont go up or down, it stays stuck up or down. The other day i was driving and the passenger window SHATTERED!!! we pulled over immediately and heard a noise coming from the window motor in the center console like the motor wa pushing the window up further. Needless to say it scared the crap out of us and our daughters were hysterical. I took it to the dealer and they said GM would not warrant it because no one has had problems with their windows before. They said that when they tried the window motor it worked every time. Any suggestions? **HAS ANYONE else had any type of window problems with the motor or breaking?
  • noxnonoxno Member Posts: 19
    I actually had the same problem, ran over an island in the middle of a intersection I did not see. It's not that hard to damage the underbody components as you only have 8" of ground clearance from the drive shaft. My dealer had to replace the driveshaft at $1500. Be sure to check with your insurance as they covered this claim. I'm also concerned with the zero clearance between the spring and front tire, can't even run my small finger through this area. We enjoy going to the high country for snowboarding, going to be in trouble if I need tire cables. Good luck.
  • little3little3 Member Posts: 31
    After reading these posts, I won't buy an Equinox. Too bad, I thought the Nox might be a less expensive alternative to the RAV4 but I can't afford to be stuck with a GM problem vehicle. Thanks
  • grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    Hey! Little 3

Don't make your choise of vehicule by reading forums. In all automobile forums they talk about the negative side of the car. Like you and me, if we do something bad, everybody will tell or know, but do something good or nice and nobody will know or talk about it. Forums are very negative. I've got a 05 Equinox LT FWD and love it. No problems at all.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Forums are very negative.

A forum dedicated to "problems and solutions," like this one, is here for the purpose of discussing problems and helping owners find solutions to them. It should also be of help to those looking to buy since it reveals some of the issues owners encounter. However, one should not assume that an owner experiencing a problem implies all vehicles have that problem.

tidester, host
  • little3little3 Member Posts: 31
    You're right. Had a 94 Dodge Minivan for 10 years without any major problems until the transmission blew at 110,000. Many complaints about Dodge minivans including my sister who bought a T&C only to have engine parts literally fall off the engine at 37,000. I should consider that each vehicle is unique and experiences with each vehicle will be unique. Even the vaunted Honda and Toyota brands have more than their share of horror stories related not only to the vehicles but also to their respective dealers. Thanks for the perspective adjustment.
  • mcallistwmcallistw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Equinox. My problem is with the interior lights when the rear hatch is open after the Equinox has sat for a few minutes and the system has reset (about 10 minutes). If I go to open the rear hatch the lights do not come on. I have taken this to the dealership three times and they were puzzled at first, and then told me that it was normal. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • mrstjwillmrstjwill Member Posts: 1
    My drivers' window motor went out and the window didn't go up properly in the track, but that is the only problem I have had with my window
  • 31phantom31phantom Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased 06 LT AWD Equinox. Do all models have the rear cargo shelf & table setup? The cargo area of mine does not look like the ones that have the shelf or table with the hooks. I thought that was a standard item on these vehicles. The only thing I have is the cover for the spare. Not why I bought it just was wondering. Any help would be appreciated.
  • grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    Your equinox should have the "cargo area cover/rear parcel shelf". It's a standard option on all LT's. I don't know about LS but LT's yes. They were suppose to delete that shelf and those side panels to have more cargo space but I still see them on the 06 models here in Canada.
    There is no window motor in the center console. All window motors are in their respective doors. If your window shattered then 2 things could possibly have happened. Someone threw something at it (God forbid someone shot it out) or there was stress in the glass. These door glass's are tempered and the only way they break is like I said. Much like a egg..place it on it's ends and try to break it..lay it flat and crunch..there it goes. The power window mechanism is pulley and cables so I can't see much pressure making the glass break.
    The 2006 Equinox and Torrent do not have the "picnic table/shelf" as standard features. These are a option now. Now matter whether a LS or a LT.
    The clunking noise is normal..it is the solenoid working.

"Inform Customer of Normal EVAP Vent Solenoid Operation #04-06-05-009B -
    (May 26, 2005)
    Service Information Regarding a Pop/Clunk Noise From the Rear of the
    Vehicle on Initial Cold Start and/or During the Warm-Up Drive Cycle (Inform
    Customer of Normal EVAP Vent Solenoid Operation)"
    It is normal, sorry. To get the hatch lights to work again you have to open one of the side doors. This is part of the battery rundown feature..people have a tendency to leaving their interior lights on by not shutting their doors completely, pushing the ON button on their dome light and forgetting it etc...