Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford 2001 Heavy Duty F-250

Comments

• jimvetajimveta Member Posts: 96
    i've seen f-550's and above offered
    with cummins, but the thing i don't get is that
    they are much weaker (195 hp if i recall) and
    i've read about someone who has an f-550
    complaining that it accelerates sooo slow and
    won't go past 70 or 75 (well, i'll assume they
    has super low gearing.. 4.88 and over i believe?)
  • bucky44bucky44 Member Posts: 19
    Since the Deep Wedgewood Blue is being replaced by True Blue (L2 order code), does anyone know how it compares? Lighter? Darker?

Are there any sites which have pics of this new color? I want to order an '01, but won't until I find out what this color looks like.

PS. The info here is super, keep it coming!
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    jimveta
    The Cummins in the F550, though I haven't seen the spec, is probably a low rpm engine. So even though it probably has higher torque output than the Dodge Ram version, its not going to generate a lot of horsepower. They usually compensate for the narrow RPM range by having a split axle or many geared tranny.

Those trucks are enormous and heavy, you won't get a whole lot of acceleration out of them.

The GM's have the Caterpillar option in those, i never anyone say anything bad about it. Not sure if Ford offers the Cat or not.
  • runamokrunamok Member Posts: 1
    I read response about tanrat getting 12-15 mpg, just wondering if that's towing mileage or non-towing? I have a 5th wheel that unloaded weighs 7900 lbs. Also, I heard from a friend that he knows someone who owns a 1 ton Ford superduty and normally gets 20 mpg when not towing, interstate driving 75mph. I find this hard to believe. Anyone agree? I am interested in a Ford Crewcab F250 Superduty either a 2000 or 2001, 7.3 liter diesel. Would also like to compare this with the new Chevy diesel that is coming either this fall or early next spring. Anyone heard of how they are supposed to compare?
    Really has been NO indication of fuel consumption on the new GM diesels. I would expect similar mileage to the Powerstroke, 17 or 18.
  • jabba2jabba2 Member Posts: 1
    for bucky44. The true blue is a shade or two lighter than the deep wedgewood. i just ordered it, over silver. it will be pretty but a lot of work to keep it looking good.

jabba from moving waters ranch
  • bucky44bucky44 Member Posts: 19
    thanks for the info. i'm leaning towards the true blue over gold. i liked the wedgewood/gold combo, but i'm not sure about this true blue. anyone know of any websites with pics of the '01 colors?
  • meyhemmeyhem Member Posts: 1
    Just ordered my 2001 F250 Lariat 4 X 4 Diesel. Delivery in 3 10 weeks. Paid $500 over invoice. $35,728 added heated seats, tube steps, tow package, reverse sensor, power tele mirrors, shift on the fly and dual altenators. Can't wait for the day of delivery.
  • tx4x4v10tx4x4v10 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at ordering a 2001 SC 4X4 LWB, and was wondering what would be better to get, the Electronic shift on the fly or the floor mounted manual shifter??? Any input would be great!
  • leeperleeper Member Posts: 5
    I just ordered my 2001 F250 4x4 Crew LB Lariat. I hear people talking about a leveling kit for the front end. I believe this consists of new front springs to bring the front up (2.5 inch) level with the rear end. Does anyone know about this?

FYI: heated seats were $220, 6 disc was $210.
    Color is dark highland green over harvest gold. The new colors can be seen in your dealer's order book (no brochures yet). Take the color page out of the binder and look at the colors in the sun before choosing!

Dealer told me 6-18 weeks for delivery.
  • bowhuntwi2bowhuntwi2 Member Posts: 80
    I have the CC 00 Lariat 4x4 with the heavy duty suspension package, mine sets level, it also sets an inch or 2 higher then one with out. It rides good loaded or not. I have found with up to a 1500 lbs. in the bed, it's level also and the ride is like on glass. I have no complaints, except the the clinking going over some bumps....I'll find whats causing that some day........
  • blacksmithblacksmith Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me what the people at Ford did to boost the horsepower in the 2001 powerstroke?
  • 886886 Member Posts: 1
    I am going to buy a 2000 F250 Super Duty CrewCab, but have had no chance to test any because most local dealers only have F250 SuperCab. I tried the 2001 F150 SuperCrew, the rear seat of F150 SuperCrew is great, much more comfortable than the rear seat of F250 SuperCab. Anyone who has F250 CrewCab can tell me how do you feel about CrewCab's rear seat? Thanks. My email is mikelin@vipc.com , thanks.
  • dwmartin1dwmartin1 Member Posts: 1
    I just got my order in for a F250 4X4 SC and went with the stock (no upgrade) tires because I want to go with a more aggressive AT or MUD tire. Can anyone tell me the MAX tire size without upgrading the wheel(or suspension) and max tire that will fit in the spare area? I like All Terains because of longevity, but like the look of the Mud tires (not planning on a lot of off road time)....any suggestions in this area would be appreciated. I like the BF all terains, but not the price. Email moenron@ev1.net. Thanks for any help
  • alfie623alfie623 Member Posts: 3
    I just ordered a 2001 F-250 CC XLT and it comes stock with fog lights. The dealer had no trucks or brochures, so I was at a loss. Where are the fog lights? Will there still be tow hooks? Also, I want to get a bench seat back with head rests for the rear seat, any suggestions where I can get one (other then junk yard).... Thanks for any help... e-mail me at alfie623@hotmail.com
  • airborne97airborne97 Member Posts: 1
    Blacksmith
    The extra 15 horses comes from a new air dam design under the right front (i believe) of the truck. I hope the power design also aids in better gas mileage. The thing I am wondering about is the new leather in the Lariat. What is newbuck. Dealer couldn't tell me what the change is.
  • bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    Is the texture of the leather. It is a soft finish, kind of the opposite of patent leather.
    The fog lights are stuffed just to the insides of your tow hooks, didn't see much change, the leather seats have a differant design. The one I saw was a 01 Lariat 4x4 PS LB, listed out at a bit over $40,000. It was 2-tone, with front bench, still no head rests in the back, they must think the seats are high enough.

I have got an off article question, I was wondering I have the mud chains with the bars across on them, but for my 265's they are about 4 links short. Can I get away with adding 4 links or do I have to buy new ones. I only plan on using them in an emergency situation. Any help would be appreciated.
  • gizzard1gizzard1 Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a 2001 250 4x4 cc lb XLT w/235 AT tires. It now comes standard w/ steel/chrome wheels (XLT package). Aluminum wheels are optional. If anyone knows, what do they both look like? My dealer has no idea...Thanks.
    Does anyone know if there are any pictures or brochures of the 2001 F250 CC out there? I ordered one and would like to see what $35K gets me.
    Saw a 2001 Lariat CC long bed at dealers, compared it to my 2000, not much differance, except fog lamps on inside of tow hooks, differant design on leather seats. listed out at over 40 grand with power stroke.
    Thanks for the help with the fog lights. My order was for a 250 4X4 CC 6' bed, XLT, Keyless entry, pravicy glass, sliding window, large tires, trailer hitch.... $28,910. I hate the wheels but the Larait was too much....
    If you did, did the salesman tell you that your spare will be black lettered not white. If I had known that, I would of saved my 435 dollars, and got the standard tires and went and bought 5 goodyears. The salesman never told me, I have 4 OWLs and 1 black lettered. Salesman said tough luck, go to firestone see if you can switch & pay the differance. I don't think so.....I'm going to the BBB and go thru the channels, ford will replace it.
  • dfc2dfc2 Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to find out about Clutches in the 6 speed diesel. I have heard some have had problems with very low mileage. I want the six speed for towing in the mountains. I understand it helps hold back the truck going downhill. I don't feel I can order a truck until I know more about the clutch problem. The salesman I talked to said "don't worry, be happy". That was not enough info to act on. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
    dfc2

The six speed does provide more downhill braking than the automatic, but diesels in general have no engine braking power. If you are worried about this, better check into an exhaust brake.
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    dfc2,
    A clutch is what you make of it. It is possible to burn one up trying to pull too much weight with too little horse power. You can burn one up with too many jack rabbit starts. I've burned a couple up and knew it was happening while I was doing it. The last standard trans that I had was traded at 75K miles and the clutch was fine. If you drive normally, there is no reason why the clutch wouldn't last 100K miles.

With the diesel you're not going to be street racing. You speak as you know how to tow a vehicle and I'm assuming that you'll use the appropriate gear to start moving. I really don't think that you're going to tear up clutches.

Rich
    How about the irony of this....

Ford has two rim styles for an XLT pickup:

BAD and WORSE

of course the truck comes with Worse so you have to pay extra to get the bad ones. I would pay $600 or even $800 to get the Lariat rims because that's what I'll pay aftermarket. So for anyone interested I have five aluminum rims for sale from a 2001 truck. You can have them when it comes in. In the mean time I'll be driving on the bad ones until something changes....
  • brickytacbrickytac Member Posts: 3
    sorry to disagree with you but i didn't think the stock xlt rims looked bad at all. i haven't seen the lariat though...wouldn't pay extra for aluminums on the xlt-thought they weren't as nice as the chrome. Gizzard1, can't believe your dealer has no '01's,we have all kinds of them in west Michigan now,of course no brochures or ford web site update yet!!
  • blacksmithblacksmith Member Posts: 2
    airbourne97 thank you for the horsepower info.
    -blacksmith.
  • callmethemancallmetheman Member Posts: 1
    What I think you should do is: Forgo your wife's doubts about this vehicle and go buy it. I have a 250 Superduty, ex. cab, 4x4. I personally feel that the truck handles quite well, and has ample room for the wife and kids. I say don't let your wife take away your opportunity happiness and masculine satisfaction. Only I recommend the 4x4 and the stick-shift. Good Luck on your descision.....make the right one.
  • skytopskytop Member Posts: 1
    Just took delivery of my '01 Lariet LE Dually Powerstroke. Dealer showed me invoice which increased a whopping $847. NOt pleased but paid the increase plus $500. over invoice (about 2.7%). Ordered on June 15th and arrived at dealer on August 25th. Build quality very good. New CD-6 in dash very convenient. The little fog lights in front are totally useless. I will replace them with Hella lights that work. When will Ford learn not to put faux features on working trucks? (However, fog lights are only useless feature on entire truck). Truck came with General tires- very good. Wheels same as last year. Automatic shifts very smooth. Engine develops power (after first 300 miles) big time. First two tanks yielded about 17.6 MPG (without towing). Body is tight and there are no squeaks or rattles. Everything works properly. Paint quality/finish excellent. Sun visor is super trick and keeps inside a bit cooler!
    When driving on the highway, cannot even tell I am driving a diesel-very quiet and has plenty of power to pass. Crew cab space is fabulous!
    This truck is BIG with the crew cab and long bed. The turning is slower than smaller trucks and takes much more turning space. Even braking almost 8,000# requires more distance. This all comes with the territory and big truck drivers will be accustomed to these characteristics!
  • fbroomfbroom Member Posts: 29
    Congratulations on the arrival of your new beast. Welcome to the haves.
  • mpbowmanmpbowman Member Posts: 9
    You da man. I've ordered one myself and it is sched to be here mid Dec. I've never owned a diesel, is there a proper breakin procedure for the engine?
  • mpbowmanmpbowman Member Posts: 9
    I've actually seen these nice shiny wheels on a 2001 xlt. They didn't impress me. I looks like a hubcap that is chrome attached to the steel wheel. If what I saw is what your getting, It's definitely not one of fords better idea. I would think that on a 4x4 one would not want these because mud will get between the steel and the hubcap and cause balancing problems. Any other readers agree?
    Yes the XLT wheels do look like cheap junk. That's why I opted for the Lariat. Due to pick up my 2001 CCSD next week. Already got my billet grill and catch-all mats to install upon arrival. Anybody got opinions on those spray-in bed liners? I hear Rhinoliner is the best.
  • hubrex2hubrex2 Member Posts: 24
    Look around the Edmund's site for various threads concerning spray-in bedliners--there are several. Most will assert that there are several high quality products out there, along with some junk. The most important element consistently cited is the role of the technician. Well trained, experienced and competent technicians will apply the various products effectively, your everyday yo-yo can screw up the best ones as well. I went with Ameriguard over Rhino. Ameriguard, like Line-X and a few others, goes on hot and affords whoever is spraying it more control. I liked the results better than Rhino, which looked "gloppy", for lack of a better term. Personal preference. My liner looks great after five months of medium duty in my 2k 250 SD. I'm very satisfied with the purchase. Anyone else?
    I have an under the rail Duraliner, which still lets me use the ty downs in the front & back, it has a roughed up finish on the floor to prevent skidding. I also use a rubber mat on top of that. I have no beefs about the spray ins, but I wasn't impressed with the installation of a couple I had seen. So yes make sure if you go with a spray in to have an Experienced Technician do it. I also have an www.ARE cap on my 00 CC SD250, the Z-Series, it's often mistaken for an Excursion from a distance because the lines are so smooth.
    Good luck on what ever you choose....
  • fbroomfbroom Member Posts: 29
    I will second the comments made by Hubrex2. The critical component of the spray-in liner is the capability of the installer and his/her attention to detail. Even the best spray-in can be ruined by a lousy installer. Another issue that I haven't seen mentioned on other threads is the concern given by the installer in protecting the cab and outside surfaces of your bed and tailgate from overspray. The installation of autobody tape and cloths is critical. I hardily recommend you thoroughly check out the work of any installer you're considering. A reputable installer won't mind and will know you're looking for a high quality job. In my case, I opted for Line-X over Rhino due to the more consistent texture of the Line-X compared to the Rhino (based on samples). That's not a knock against Rhino, just my personal assessment. I didn't look at any other products. Mainly because after checking out my local Line-X installer I was convinced I wouldn't find a better product or installer based on the trucks I saw. The installation was perfect with no damage to my truck and I've been happy ever since. It's the best upgrade I've made to my truck and I'm completely satisfied (if you couldn't tell). Good luck in your search and let us know how it went.
  • wmilnewmilne Member Posts: 2
    I also had line-x installed on my truck about 6 mos ago,It looks like new. I had it installed by line-x in McAllen,Tx. He even loaned us his truck while they applied the liner in mine.
  • tierodtierod Member Posts: 1
    The Ford F-250 web page is ancient. Even though you can not buy a 2000 F-250 you can still look it up on the web. Go figure. If you want to see the new 2001 colors, you can go to the 2001 Escape web page on Ford.com and see both the Dark Highland green and the new blue. Maybe in the next few weeks ford will wake up from the tire crisis and update the F-250 page.

JTJ
  • molnbmolnb Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy a F-250 4x4 sc long bed power stroke. I will be pulling a fifth wheel trailer i th e25-29 foot range. My question is, will the fifth wheel hitch damage the bed liner? Should I look for a particular model liner or do without? With a 7000-8000 pound trailer, what kind of mileage can I expect with the 6 speed, towing and empty?
    Thanks,
    Bill
  • rrichf1rrichf1 Member Posts: 47
    molnb,
    I've been told by several spray in dealers to have the holes drilled for the fifth wheel hitch, then have the liner sprayed and finally install the hitch. I believe that their concern is rust around the bolt holes.

I've also been told that with a slip in liner to install the hitch first and then cut a hole in the liner to accommodate the hitch.

Rich (With a new login I/D. Bonnie doesn't know why either.)
  • rutnbuckrutnbuck Member Posts: 3
    I am scheduled to pick my 2001 F-250 4x4 CCSB Lariat the first week of October. I plan on selling my wheels and tires right away in order step up a few notches in that area. If you or anyone else are interested, I'd like to get rid of them as soon as possible. Thanks, rutnbuck
  • tmik30tmik30 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of purchasing a f-250 with a powerstroke diesel. I am wondering which transmission will be more reliable for long term use. Has anyone owned an older f-250 or 350 and had any good or bad experiences they can share to help me decide. Also is the new 6spd the same tranny with an extra gear or is it totally revised. Any info would be helpful Thanks t. mik
  • gabestergabester Member Posts: 2
    I ordered an F-250 CC SB 4x4 Lariat Diesel a couple of weeks ago and wanted to respond/ask a couple of questions.

1. A lot of people have asked about the ROI (Return On Investment) on the initial $4600 cost of the diesel. I was curious too when deciding to purchase the diesel or not so I put together a simple spreadsheet and came to the following conclusion. If I drive an average of 15,000 mi/yr, the diesel gets 4 miles/gal better and the cost of diesel gas is 0.10 cheaper, I'll recoupe the $4600 in less than 5 years. For me this is great because I plan on owning the vehicle for a minimum of 10 years. The other benefit is that the dealers are telling me the diesels are good for up to 400k miles where the gas engines need significant work around 150k miles.

2. I've read that the telescoping mirrors cannot lay flat. How big of a deal is this? E.g. will I be able to go through a car wash...

3. I really like the fact that the Super Cab's rear seat flips up to provide more storage space on the floor, however the Crew Cab does not have this feature. Is there a way to retrofit the seat without compromising vehicle/passenger safety?
  • tbangstbangs Member Posts: 3
    Here is a piece of advice for Super Duty Gas and Diesel owners. I am an independent Amsoil dealer here in So. Cal. I can not say enough about the products they have. I have 200 miles on my truck and I will be switching the tranny fluid to Amsoil Synthetic ATF the weekend. I will do a complete change including the torque converter (approx 20-25 qts). Why you might ask? Amsoil ATF is far superior to any other fluid on the market and you can go 3 times Ford's recommend change interval. I will also be changing the transfer case and rear end as well. I am sure I will pick up some MPG due to the reduced friction. I will not change the motor over to Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel oil until I have at least 1500-2000 miles and I am satisfied with the oil consumption. I will use Oil Analysis at a cost of $10 to determine when the fluids need to be changed. Standard Amsoil filter change on turbo diesel is 2 times longer or 6 months. I anyone would like more information please let me know. (t_bangs@pacbell.net)
    I did the same just put on 305 70R16 on American Racing Baja wheels 16X8. I have a 2000 F250 4X4 Crew Cab. I think it looks great, filled the wheel wells nicely. Not to mention ride is much better with bigger rubber
    Just topped off my tank on my 2000 F250 4X4 Crew Cab I got 22.7 MPG on the first 150 miles of mixed city and highway driving with the 7.3 TD. I my opinion it is well worth the money. That is about 5 MPG better than my wifes 95 Lexus SC400
    I have went thru car washs without any problems, except for the kid at the end that can't reach the hood & the front window, so even if it's a full service one, I carry a towel, heck at 6'3" even pulling the hood down is a challegne, you got to grab the hook and pull. I bought storage bags(they are stiff) that fit under the back seat (CC) for odds & ends like jumper cables, spare tools. Leaving the storage open behind the seat for my rifles (can hold up to 3 scoped soft cases)& my spotting scope. They are outta of site from nosey people. These trucks are awesome........
    Ordered my 2001 SDCC in July. Dealer said it was released from the KY plant and would be here in 2 weeks. That was 3 weeks ago. Called him back to see what's up and he said there must be some sort of railcar delay and it should be here in about 2 weeks, "but I've got a 2000 model exactly like the one you ordered" Then I asked if this "exact" model had the heated seats, in-dash 6CD changer, new sew style leather, fog lights and did it happen to be the new dark highland green color available for 2001 models only. As you would expect, the cheezy sales person said, "well no, I guess it's not exactly the same, we'll call you when your comes in. And by the way they already cashed my deposit check, which they said they would hold until the order came in, keepin' up the good reputation. Good Ol' Charles Gabus Ford in Des Moines, IA!

Anyone know how to get around your dealer and find out exactly where your vehicle is????
This discussion has been closed.