Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford 2001 Heavy Duty F-250

Comments

• dhintzddhintzd Member Posts: 12
    I just purchased a 99 F250 CC with the PSD. It also has an automatic. I am trying to get some information about the truck, and seem to be going nowhere. The door tag axle code is "C1". From crawling under the truck, I have determined that it has 3.73's, but don't know if it is an open diff or limited slip. Is there a sitet on the 'net that will help me to decode the door tag and vin number? Also, this is the first diesel that I have owned...so am experiencing a fairly steep learning curve. During winter, should I run pure #1 diesel, a 50-50 mix of 1 & 2, or go with pure #2 with an additive? I plan on getting gas from the truck stop nearest my house since I would think their fuel would be "fresher" than in town convience stores. What type of mileage would be reasonable to expect? I did one test, and averaged 11.50 mpg, but that was with the front end locked due to snow and slippery streets. Thanx in advance for any help and tips.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    You're obviously correct that the higher GVW will carry more weight, but where did you get your curb weight #'s? FTE has the 250 CC 4X4 at 6152. I'm sure that doesn't include the PSD. Add 600# for the PSD still puts you at maybe 6600#'s. Giving you an easy 2200 pounds of payload.

For sure get the 9900 GVW if needed but 8800 still gives you over a ton, not the 1200 you're saying.
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Two words

WEIGH ONE!
  • benr0benr0 Member Posts: 22
    Take it to a scale and check for your self.

I have 2001, CC, SB, v10 2wd.

With me, my wife, 2 kids, full tank of gas and suitcases for the weekend. Scale weight is 7200.

PSD and 4wd will add over 400 lbs.

Many have scaled at 7600-7800 with CC,LB,PSD,4WD.

Not much left to go into bed.

Check out http://www.ford-diesel.com/

Many others have hit the scales as well.

Several have found they made a mistake by not getting the 350.
    Re; post 601 you said, no people and gear.

Your 7200# weight has at least 800#'s already loaded. You've got 250# of fuel 4 people at 500# and a couple hundred pounds(?) of luggage. You've still got 1600 pounds available. Or 1000-1200 available with a 4X diesel.

I agree the 9900 GVW will carry more, no doubt. I just thought you were selling the 8800 GVW a little short.
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    PSD, and 4x4 will add alot more than 400 lbs, a long bed will add probable in the 300 lb range. Plus the weight of toolbox's, steps, ect.

Believe what you want

Hunter
    Of course tool boxes weigh something. I'm not sure what you're getting at. The numbers I got were for a long bed.

The bottom line is I highly doubt a truck that Ford lists @ 6200 pounds(which is the long bed, CC, 4X) is a whole lot heavier then that EMPTY. I gave the PSD 600#. So even if the rig is 7000 pounds EMPTY. It leaves 1800# for cargo which includes toolboxes, fuel, people, luggage etc. I'm just debating the original post that a 250 can only carry 1200 pounds total. I agree if you need more than that after people, fuel etc. get the 350. I don't, and the 250 serves me well.

PS, I never said a 4X and PSD weigh 400# extra.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Have Ford 2000 RV & Trailer towing guide in front of me. (Assuming '02 trucks are fairly close.) It reads as follows:

Maximum Cargo Weight:

F-250, 4x4, PSD, CC, Short Bed - 1234 lbs.
    F-250, 4x4, PSD, CC, Long Bed - 1088 lbs

F-250, 4x4, Gas, CC, Short Bed - 1994 lbs.
    F-250, 4x4, Gas, CC, Long Bed - 1858 lbs

F-350, 4x4, PSD, CC, Short Bed - 2349 lbs. Single Rear Wheel
    F-350, 4x4, PSD, CC, Long Bed - 2213 lbs Single Rear Wheel

F-350, 4x4, Gas, CC, Short Bed - 3099 lbs. Single Rear Wheel
    F-350, 4x4, Gas, CC, Long Bed - 2963 lbs Single Rear Wheel

"Cargo weight rating is the maximum allowable, assuming the weight of the base vehicle with the required camper option content and a 150 lb passenger at each available seating position (7.3L Diesel ratings assume the weight of the engine and standard transmission) The Cargo Weight Rating shown must be further reduced by the weight of the powertrain upgrades and any other options."

By having a 150 lb passenger in each seating position, I guess Crew Cab is already assuming you've got 600 lbs of human cargo. Doesn't say if the rating includes a full fuel load.

Looks like PSD weighs about 750 lbs more than Gasser and that's with 6 spd. std. tranny. Assuming Auto weighs more as well?

That's why I bought the 350 (and I probably should've gotten a dually instead 'cause I tend to overload my srw.)
  • bobsquatchbobsquatch Member Posts: 136
    If you can get away without them do it. Most of the people who need them have full sized hard sided campers on or tow huge heavy trailers. The problem they have is that they cannot find a single tire that is rated for this load and it would be down right dangerous to run singles. For the rest of us single is better. They dont get rocks stuck between them off road are cheaper/easier to maintain and replace and I have to say almost half of the duallies I have seen have body damage around the wheel wells from hitting things with those over wide bodies.
  • skv78skv78 Member Posts: 2
    I ordered a 2002 F-250 Crew cab 6 weeks ago, and was just informed that production has been suspended until Feb. 2002. Does anyone have any information about production problems in the U.S.?
  • benr0benr0 Member Posts: 22
  • ande157ande157 Member Posts: 23
    For those looking to buy a new Super Duty PSD, you may want to wait for the 2003 model. Check out the blueovalnews.com website. It has info on the new "PowerStroke Super 600" engine to be introduced in the 2003 SD truck. 350hp, 600lb/ft from 6.0 liters. Lighter than current PSD and better mileage. Backed up by new "PowerTorq" 5 spd auto trans. Sounds like one helluva engine/trans combination. I was in the market this year to replace my '99 and now I think I'll wait.
  • jcave1jcave1 Member Posts: 137
    Caught a glimpse of the "TONKA" on a car show report last night. I really liked the looks of that thing. Guess my concern with the 2003 would be the new engine. However with a quality builder like International, any concern should be mute. Possibly a larger concern would be technical knowledge, or lack thereof, at the dealership. Bet you'll also feel pickpocketed buying one. Can't wait to see the 2003 live and in person. Hopefully it won't force me into owning one.
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    Pet peeve of mine. Sorry.
    Thanks for the humor and the correction.
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    I saw that one too. Usually concepts are soooo far out of reality that they don't interest me. The design of this one looks great, especially the large sides of the body and 22' rims. I don't know about the HLA though. Sounds mighty expensive to build and repair. The kneeling feature seems a little excessive also. But one thing I am interested in is the LED headlights. My brother-in-law recently bought an LED flashlight. I am amazed how much super white light that little flashlight makes. Maybe the aftermarket will make a retro kit for our "older" trucks. I don't know if I can wait for one of these to hit the dealership next year. On the other hand, I'm like jcave1, maybe I better not go.
  • white250white250 Member Posts: 68
    I have a 01' F250 sc 4x4 & I,m looking to soften up the ride a little. Has anyone done anything to their suspension to make this truck ride a little better ?

Would new shocks/springs make a big difference ?

I already lowered my tires down to 50 psi .
  • jmg222jmg222 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '01 F250 psd cc short bed and is a pill to fill with fuel. Does anyone have any experiences with this? It will take the first 20 gal. fast but the next 6 or 7 real slow. I've tried everything. Does Ford have a fix for this or is this something common to all F250's with the short bed? Thanks for anything that you can share with me.
    I've got an F-350, CC, Long bed, gasser. It's got a bigger tank, but yeah it's maddening because the average pump clicks off when there's still 6 or 7 gallons to go. It takes 2 minutes to fill the first 3/4 of the tank and then 5 minutes to dribble in the balance. When truck was brand new I thought gas gauge was off; I double checked manual to find tank capacity, and finally tried filling it to overflowing. Took 10 minutes, but gauge was correct.
    Found a trick that works - new gas station (for me) has a driveway that slopes away from pump. I pull up to last pump and go a bit beyond it (hose still reaches) so nose of truck is pointed down the hill. As a result gas doesn't seem to bubble up the filler neck as much and I only have to play games with the last gallon or two. It isn't a sensitive pump shut off, it just seems as long as truck is headed down hill there're less bubbles in tank or something so it fuels easier. Still have to be careful trying to totally fill it or I can baptize my feet with unleaded.
    Talked to other SD owner (short bed) who carries a couple pieces of 2x6, drives rear wheel (filler side) over them before fueling. Says it helps. Just a PITA to set up. My best friend with long bed,cc, PSD has absolutely no problems fueling at all. Read about PSD owners modifying filler neck to allow them to use high capacity diesel pumps that big rigs use.
    No mods necessary. I can use the high capacity fuel pumps at truck stops right from the factory. It also fills all but about 11/2 gallons before clicking off. All the newer powerstrokes can. The older ones had a problem with the fill necks traveling nearly level for over a foot before heading down to the tank. Crawl under your short bed and see if they still do this on gassers. If so you would be doing yourself a favor carrying a block of wood to aid in fueling.
    Did you say the new PSD SD's have the larger opening to accept the larger truck nozzles? Mine is larger than any gasser, but I get so aggravated when I get to a pump only to find out the nozzle has one of those rings on the end that keeps it from going into the filler neck.
    When I fill up, I usually set the nozzle fill rate to the second, or middle, notch. This may take a little longer than running wide open, but it gives me the opportunity to clean the windshield and check tire pressure or check my lights. When the pump shuts off, I can usually just run it up to the next whole dollar. I've checked the amount that I am putting in against the tank capacity and it appears to be full completely full.
    Sorry boss, they do not have the rings in my neck of the woods so I accidentally misled you. I buy fuel nozzels for my job and when they come with the ring I cut them off with a hacksaw. Then they fit in everything I fill up not just the semi's and heavy equipment.
    @! Sorry about that, just venting a little. I consider myself lucky to have found three truck stops along my usual routes that keep one pump set up for pickups. Only thing is it gets quite annoying to pull into one of these truck stops only to find a single tank OTR tractor filling up at the pickup pump simply because it's closest to the door.
  • lariat10lariat10 Member Posts: 22
    I went to a local dealership with my dad today to look at a 2001 psd still new a model year leftover.When the salesman went to start the truck it took two long attempts to start the truck. He said the fuel may have jelled during the time the truck sat at the dealership,but even after the test drive it seemed to take to long to restart. Any ideas. the truck had a total of 22 miles on it.Is this normal.
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    Did you wait until the 'wait' light went out before trying to start? (This is to allow time for the glow plugs to reach tempature).
    The salesman was first to start the truck and after a ten minute test drive the truck was shut off for about 20 minutes while they talk about prices. My dad then re started the truck it again took a long time to start one try. I did notice that the production date of the truck was early may of 2001 so the truck has been on the dealers lot for some time.
    Don't know if you noticed it, or if the salesman is even aware of it, but there is a little "Wait To Start" light that comes on when you turn the key to the run position. When the light goes off, the truck should start fairly quickly. A ten minute test drive is not enough time to get the engine warm, much less hot.

Don't know what the weather is like where you are, but I can see where the fuel could have gelled from cold temperatures if the dealership didn't add any conditioner to the fuel. The only problem I can see arising from the amount of time a diesel sits is from water accumulating in the tank. But if that were the case, the "Water In Fuel" light would have come on.

If this is going to be your first diesel, find a dealership that sells a lot of them. You will have lots of questions.
  • mesazonemesazone Member Posts: 51
    I have a 2001 SC SB PSD. I run the pump at the middle click and then have to nurse in the last 4.5 - 5 gallons. I use the same pump every time and nothing changes. I've finally figured out how much I can put in after it clicks off before it starts spilling over. But yes, it's is a pain that I have to do this. I guess I should have gotten the long bed?

Mine also has a longer then normal starting IMO. In my car, it's a quick turn to the start position. Every time I start the pickup (after the Wait to start light goes out) I have to crank it about 3-5 seconds. If it's really warm, then it usually starts quicker then that.
    Did you say it takes you 3-5 seconds to crank your PSD? That seems too long to me. Even on cold mornings, mine cranks within 2 seconds and no smoke. When the temps drop below 35 degrees, I plug mine in. Maybe that is not necessary, but I'm sure it helps with the quick starts. Even when my truck sits outside all day when the temps are below 20 degrees, it still cranks within 2 seconds.

Are there any other PSD owners that might care to comment?
    Thats all mine takes. I live in Southern California though so temperature never falls below freezing. 2002 PSD
    Occasionally mine will surge twice at startup but only when very cold. Only then will it smoke little. Like mullins87, I plug mine in at night whenever temps get near freezing. Warming the block does not seem to change startup time. It reduces startup noise which I have to believe helps longevity.
    Thanks for the comments.

Maybe 3-5 seconds is to long. After I wrote that, I paid attention the next time I started it. I guess 2 seconds is more accurate. I live in Northern Nevada just south of Reno (highs around 35 and lows in the teens this week) so I've been plugging it in every night and the timer goes off 3.5 hours before I leave for work. I'm just used to the less then a second start of my Grand Prix. I expected this from a motor that is twice as big. I guess I'm about where everone else is.

Paul
    While I'm on the topic of Plugging the truck in, does anyone have an idea on how much electricity is used by the engine block hearter? Is it less expensive to plug it in or just let the motor heat itself up? Is the extra wear on the motor caused by it having to warm up on its own costing the same as plugging it in? I doubt that can even be measured.
    I don't know if you can measure it in those terms. The reasons why I plug mine in: starts easier on cold mornings, no smoke in the garage and greatly reduced idle time before taking off. I'm sure the heater uses a fair amount of electricity. The extension cord that I use is rated for heavy appliances at 15 amps and the plug is usually warm to the touch in the mornings.
    The dealer called my dad today and said they had drained the tank and that had corrected the problem. Dad will stop by the dealership tomorrow and check out the truck again . By the way my dad thought the 2001 psd was much louder than his 92 model diesel.
    The block heaters use 1,000 watts. I think 2 full seconds in cold weather is a reasonable amount of crank time. You will spend more on heating your block than you will wearing out your motor unless you are having extended crank time(15-30secs) or extended idleing. The heater is for convienience and extreme cold and worth it in my opinion. The heater/defroster works immediatley and you can drive away in 30secs. You have the right idea with the timer though. Just make sure it is rated for at least 9 amps.
    I'm glad you responded with the info on heater wattage, I have wondered about that. I have been considering a timer for my truck, but didn't know how big to get.
    Thanks for your information and input. I believe the timer is rated at least that but will check. It cost me $20 so it better be (but that may also be because of the ability to program multiple on/off times.) The cord is heavy duty and either 12 or 14 gauge. I agree that having a warmed up vehicle in the morning is nice.

I'm paying closer attention to the time of crank and it's closer to 1-2 seconds. It just seemed like an eternity at first.

I was by a Duramax the other day in the parking lot at work and it sure sounded quiet. I'm impressed. Hope the PSD-600 is quieter. Can't let GM have any lead.
  • fordtuffordtuf Member Posts: 101
    Mine is a 99,V10,3.73,4x4. It has developed a small clunking in the rear area or possibly the transfer case area. It happens when accelerating, at any rate of acceleration, when starting from a dead stop. It is also there when you come to a complete stop.

I fisrt thought driveline so I held the brakes on and shifted gears back and forth, yep its there. Then with it in gear I hold brakes and give it gas and let off, no clunk. Then I thought to myself, self, it might be springs loose or body/shock mounts.

I let my brother do all the same stuff while I looked at it. I could never isolate it to one point, I could hear it but not find it. (I guess it doesn't help that I have a two chamber Flowmaster and dual 4" outlets.)

The disturbing thing I witnessed was when he accelerated forward the springs began to twist (axle wrapping). I had him gas it hard and the thing was awful twisting, and the drive shaft moved up about three inches. That is what has got me thinking about the transfer case or mounts doing the clunking.

Any theories or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    How about cab mounts..
    Good point bess. Several folks have mentioned cab mount problems.
    Lots of good information and smart people here, so I post here hoping someone has an idea.

2001 F250 SC SB PSD. When I back out of my driveway (at the end when I hit the gutter), go through dips or anything else that makes the front suspension work, there is a loud squeak (for lack of a better word) that comes from the left front suspension. I don't know if it's bad springs, bad shock, bad something. It's happened pretty much since date of inception (June 2001). It's more noticeable when it's been sitting and/or cold. Even after a bath, it still does it.

Any ideas? Would something like this be covered under warranty?
    There were problems with '99 and and early '00 models with crummy ball joints. Lot's of folks also have squeaky front springs. There's a TSB for '00 models, but nothing for '01s. Is your's a 4x2, or 4x4? Think they fix noise by putting on some sort of "spring tip isolator."
    I had creaking noises on slow turns from my '01, F350, CC, LWB, that turned out to be loose cab mounts. Dealer retorqued all bolts to spec and solved noises. Just needed two more return visits to rectify new problems caused by service tech who had a few left over pieces when he did the tightening job.
    It's 4x4. I guess I'll make a visit to the dealer and see what they say. I do notice it more when it's cold. Thanks for the ideas.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    Sounds like it's your front springs, had that on my Y2K SD CC, had it in the shop 3 times to install what they called a tip isolator, was going in for a 4th fix, but a Super Crew and low financing and really good deal caught my eye at a differant dealer........so I parted ways. There has been some withdrawls at times when I see a SD CC 4x4 go by, but I tell myself I have a more useable truck for the present situation......maybe someday I'll leap back into the Super Duties. Check out my New Truck.......

http://www.picturetrail.com 02 XLT SCrew
    I got to test my 4x4 250 out today for the first time. It handled great. I,m glad I upgraded the tires to the 265/75/16 all- terrain.
    Has anyone ever seen a aftermarket heated mirror kit for the trailer tow mirrors ? I understand they offer heated mirrors on the Excursion which I think are the same style mirror as the F 250. I really could have used them today with the freezing rain we got.
    Another thing I would like to pirate from the Excursion to my Superduty is the keyless entry drivers door. I love that feature on my Explorer but it is not an option in any trim level of the Superduties for some reason. It is a great option for us surfers.
    I would say that if you order your pickup, they will build it to your needs. Especially where these two vehicles are built side by side in the same plant. My dad somehow talked Ford into a full sized van with a 4speed manual with overdrive. They wanted to sell it to him, so they built it for him how he wanted it.

Just a thought.
This discussion has been closed.