Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• lazerblue31649lazerblue31649 Member Posts: 8
    I am with you. I bought a Nox in 2004 which was a 2005. This was the first spring that they came out. Mine is a beautiful lazer blue and so far I have had no problems with my vehicle. I have a moon roof, leather seats and it is also a AWD. I also get alot of compliments. I guess I am lucky too with mine. However,in May of next month I will have had it for three years and I only have 7200 miles on it. I love it. I really do not put many miles on my vehicles. I recently got rid of a 1987 Cougar which only had 71,000 miles on it. It was just falling apart on the outside so what good is a good engine without a body. LOL LOL
  • tprossertprosser Member Posts: 1
    The only problem I have had in 10 months and 10000 miles with my 2006, LT, AWD, loaded, was a sun roof rattle. It turned out to be the "sun roof drain tube not properly crimped in place" which the dealer promptly fixed.
    Overall it is a great vehicle and I am completely satisfied
  • jcd3jcd3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi - I just puchased a used 2006 Equinox LT AWD. I've noticed that there's a noise in the back right wheel that comes and goes. It's similar to a whup, whup or whir that increases and decreases as my speed goes. If I hit 80 to 120 Kilometers an hour I'll hear the noise occasionally. It's not constant. Can anyone give me any ideas as to what it is? I think it might just be the tires, but I want to make sure it's not more than that.

I've taken it to the dealer, but they claim they couln't find anything wrong.

Thanks...
  • hveitenhhveitenh Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I just purchased a 2005 (manufactured in 04) Chevy Equinox with 75000 miles (mostly highway). What types of things should we look out for with this vehicle, and how long can we expect this engine to last with said miles on it?

Thanks,

H
  • frustratedinmnfrustratedinmn Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Equinox occasionally does not start. This is not on a cold start but rather after sitting overnight, starting, driving for about 1-2 miles, shutting off for about 10-30 minutes and then re starting. This has happened on about 4-6 occasions. I do hear the engine rev and after turning the key 3-4 times, it will start. I have had it to the dealer twice and they cannot "duplicate" the issue so I am stuck! Of course I knew they could not duplicate it as it does not happen all of the time. Also, I find that while driving along and maintaining a speed, I will feel this chug or loss of power like there was a bubble or something in the gas line. I have already had the fuel pump replaced and they say everything else registers fine... Please help! I can't be stuck somewhere with kids and it won't start!
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    I have back ground education Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Technology and above educated in automotive field .

This poster (packer3) was taking cheap shoots at laserblue that no one was willing to converse him. A type of bulling comment not necessary so all i did was take him to task on his advise to other board members. Yes i should have corrected his advise to Malibu (06)man . I mentioned in other posts that I would never purchased a new model vehicle in the first year of production , general too many problems. This guy sounds a little bit pissed off about his NOX experience but then still buys an 08 Torrent, sister version.
  • 0311vn0311vn Member Posts: 47
    What sort of milage does an Equinox get on the highway and city driving?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Chevrolet Equinox: Real World MPG discussion too.
  • dallenxdallenx Member Posts: 2
    I called GM Customer Service today (1-800-222-1020) because of the problems that we're having with the Nox and with the service we received at the local dealer.

They were understanding, listened to everything, gave me a case number and eventually conference called in the service department at a different dealer and helped me make an appointment to get everything looked at again.

They know they can't solve the engine stumble or the guages not working issue until they get a 'code' but they want to see the rear hatch light issue and the seatbelt issue.

Oh yea, here's the list of issues on the Jun '06 built Nox with 3000miles:

Insturment cluster not working, no lights and no gauges.
    Engine studder / stumble when backing out of driving.
    Rear seatbelts locking and ratching up and not letting go.
    Dash buckeling. Part on order.
    AC blowing hot.
    Lights not coming on when rear hatch opened.
  • mindfrost82mindfrost82 Member Posts: 4
    I've had the same problem with my 2005 Nox not starting. I've had the vehicle for about 3 months and its only happened about 3 times. Of course the dealer can't duplicate the problem. It takes about 3 or 4 times before it'll actually start.

Did you ever find out what the issue was?
  • dallenxdallenx Member Posts: 2
    Ahhhh, if you have OnStar...use it. If you have a cell phone with video capture or you have time to get your video recorder...get it.

Get proof anyway that you can. You said it happened 3 times but...you only took it in once? I did the same thing. That means it only happened once. Wait...the dealer can't duplicate it and there was no code right? Then it has never happened.
  • dsananadsanana Member Posts: 2
    I bought my Nox in July 2005. So far--lifters have been replaced, window motor replaced, coolant hoses replaced, coolant system flushed 3 times, heater core replaced, fan motor replaced, fan connectors replaced and brakes replaced (not due to normal wear and tear). I have been without my car for 29 days since Feb 06. GM offered a free oil change!!! Performance Chevrolet of Elizabeth City offered a trade in at a $5,000 loss to me. I am currently dealing with an attorney on a lawsuit. I WILL NEVER BUY FROM PERFORMANCE OR GM AGAIN.
  • sijabahsijabah Member Posts: 1
    I am doing research on how to lower emissions for vehicles. I was just wondering if there is anyone who would be able to maybe give me some advise or lead me to an informational website. I have been doing the research, so I do know some stuff. But I am sure that there are many things that I have missed.
  • shallwechatshallwechat Member Posts: 20
    hey dsanana, don't think you are alone. i bought my equinox in june, 2006 and traded it in last week for a wonderful honda pilot. i had to hire a lawyer and ended up getting enough to pay difference between what i owed and what was trade in. last tank i got 13.2 mpg and still had that annoying rattle!

i will never buy gm again. i love my pilot....good riddens to the nox! :lemon:
  • dsananadsanana Member Posts: 2
    ="Hi Shallwechat,
    I, too, contacted a lawyer. Once the dealership saw all the paper work from him, they were willing to work with me. They paid my "piece of Junk" off and I was able to get into a new 2006 Jeep Liberty for what I had paid for the 2005 Nox. It was a huge savings and I am very pleased. So far, I love the Jeep but I am done with the dealership.
    Good luck on your Honda and I agree--good riddance to the nox!link title
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has ordered the recall of 826,687 Jeep Liberty SUVs because the front suspension may fail and cause a crash.
    This includes the 2006 Liberty :lemon:
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls04/2006/jeep_liberty_probe.html

Also; Jeep Liberty's with the 42RLE automatic transmission, may not hold the PARK position, if this occurs and the parking brake is not applied, the vehicle may roll away and cause a crash without warning.

Honda Pilot Recalls:
    Some fuel tanks were improperly manufactured. In a crash the fuel tank could be damaged and leak fuel which could result in a fire.

The steering column may be incorrectly assembled on some Pilots, which could result in a loss of steering control.

Some Pilot owner's rear spoiler on their Pilots warp and popped loose. This is a common problem that has been going on for several model years.

Owners of 2006 Pilots are experiencing vibration problems in the drivetrain or drive shafts.

The rattle in my Nox doesn't seem to be so bad now.
    well, i believe that if it is my time go to, it doesn't matter where i will be at that time.....so i guess that means i would rather be in a pilot than in a nox! besides, since i am getting 19 mpg city in my pilot instead of the 12-14 mpg city in the nox, i will have more money to leave to my child should my pilot have problems, as noted in your message.
  • agm226agm226 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Equinox. Having problems when I crank her up. The starter wants to stay engaged and makes clicking noises for 5-20 seconds. Worried one day soon it wont crank at all. Been in shop 3 times in past month. Going again in the morning. No one can figure out the problem. Also the temp gauge reads 130 idling in the shade. Was told the sensor is situated by the radiator!! Of all the stupid places to put it. She also vibrates horribly when braking at 50mph or higher. Havent had any of the smelly problems others are having!!! Love the vehicle, hate the many problems, not worth the 28K she cost!!!
  • grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    Mine is a 05 Nox to. For your brakes the same thing happened here. It had about 4,000 miles on it. Very bad vibrations when braking over 50 m.p.h. Went to the dealer, they had to rotate my front discs (warped) Then it was back to normal. Now the truck has 9,000 and it's starting all over again. Didn't go to the dealer yet. Warped again? Hope not. If they have to rotate the discs every 4 or 5 thousands miles I'll have to buy some new discs before the truck has 20,000 miles or so because they take a couple of millimeters off the disc every time. They'll go right trough it in a matter of time.
  • coalminrgirlcoalminrgirl Member Posts: 2
    hey there, I have nothing but trouble here lately with my 05 nox, the front end had a rattling noise and the back seat ratling also new radio, well this is the 10th time in the shop for the front end rattling and the 5th time for the back seat rattling I have had two diffrent dealerships try to fix the problem nothing yet. GM has nothing but give me the run around since Aug-06. I was told that the suspesion has been changed since the 2005 came out.
  • coalminrgirlcoalminrgirl Member Posts: 2
    oh my, just wait you have not seen nothing yet, my 05 nox is still in the shop for that same reason, this will be the 10th time and still no remendy. I have 21,000 on mine and the front is gotten alot worse all new parts on the front end still have the noise.
  • shadow99shadow99 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 AWD LT Equinox. At low speeds(5 to 10 mph tops) you can hear a popping or clicking type noise. The vehicle has to be moving for it to be heard but over a certain speed the noise appears to go away. Any ideas?
    I am going to have the dealer look at the next oil change but I figured you all might have some insight ahead of time.

Thanks.
  • rlw611rlw611 Member Posts: 3
    I've had my 2005 Chevy Equinox AWD for 1 1/2 years. I chose it as my company car (company makes car payments for me). Pretty good deal, and I loved the vehicle until about a week ago. I have 68k miles, a lot for the age of the vehicle, but I drive a lot for the job. Recently, I noticed a grinding noise when I would make sharp turns. Didn't happen all the time, but enough to make me take it to the dealership. I was told that a pump was going bad and was quoted $2400 to repair. Apparently, GM just doesn't make the pump, you have to purchase the entire rear differential assembly. What a crock! The dealer told me that he's getting on average 20 Equinoxes a week with the same problem. Can GM say recall??? Now I'm waiting on my company to see what part if any they're going to cover on this repair. In the meantime, I have an Equinox sitting in my driveway that is useless. I am done with GM after this.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    confusion. it grinds when making turns and a pump needs to be replaced (power steering pump?), but then you're mentioning a rear differential. :confuse:
    By the way... there is no pump nor belt for the steering and there is no power steering in the nox. It's a electric steering. A brand new concept in lots of G.M. cars these days.
    thanks for the clarification. any idea what pump the poster may be referring to then?
    I'm as confused as you (user 777) about this pump thing. I can't figure out where there could be a pump in the back of the Nox and why G.M. wouldn't manufacture all the replacement parts for their product. The only pump I ever saw in the rear of a vehicule was a "air pump" on a Venture (van). It controlled the Automatic Level Control. Otherwise, no pumps there. I'm curious about this and would like to know more. Could the owner of this Nox reply after the repairs are done.
    right. i was thinking maybe the owner was being taken for a ride not on the map. i didn't know that GM used electronic stearing in the NOx. i suppose there's got to be a motor or hydraulic actuator somewhere to move the wheels from side to side. maybe the problem is there.
    Electronic Power Steering

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview

Electric power assisted steering (EPS) is designed to use an electric motor to provide directional control to the driver of a vehicle. Most EPS systems have variable assist, which allows for more assistance as the speed of a vehicle decreases and less assistance from the system during high-speed situations. This functionality requires a delicate balance of power and control that has only been available to manufacturers in recent years. The EPS system is replacing the hydraulic steering system and is destined to soon become mainstream among automotive manufacturers.
    I haven't gotten the repair done yet. I have a third appt with another dealership on Friday. As for clarification, all I can say is that I was told there was a pump in the RDA that was going bad. Since the Nox is a new vehicle, GM doesn't make the individual part yet. I wasn't told what the name of the pump was, but was given a part #15224698. The part costs about $1900 and with labor the total was $2400. I was told that this was a very common problem in the Equinoxes along with the Buick Rendezvous and Pontiac Torrents (apparently they all use the same parts). I will post again on Friday when I receive another diagnosis and estimate.
    I received better news today. Apparently, it's the clutch package in the RDA. They can fix the part without having to replace the entire rear differential assembly. The estimate was $958...a lot better than $2400! Still more than I wanted to spend, and more than the Nox is worth. Hopefully, I won't have any more problems.
    Thanks for the update. Yes the clutch package is probably the problem. You're right $958 is better than $2400 but still it hurts. Mine is a 2005 to and I plan to keep it till 2009. God help me. I like my Nox but sometimes I wonder, it gives me a funny feeling. Good luck and thanks again for the update.
  • dantay112dantay112 Member Posts: 7
    Well I'm posting again with more problems. Brought my nox Jan. 06 and so far I have had to replace the passenger front wheel bering, rear drive shaft and twice the vent sylinoid. I called GM, but of course they didn't want to do anything. They told me GM stands behind their vehicles and I told them they are mistaken, they stand behind their warranty, but not their vehicles. Let them know that once that sylinoid goes bad again I am filing for the lemon law. Let them also know that I would go to the BBB. I think a KIA would have been a better choice!
    you had your nox longer than i had mine. i purchased my last week of june, 2006 and traded it in the first of september, 2006. hired attorney for lemon law - traded it in for a 2006 honda pilot and their is no comparison. i am in heaven!

my nox had a rattle they couldn't fix after 4 times and i was getting anywhere from 12.6-14.9 mpg in town. YUK! :mad:
    Fuel economy average from Auto Reviews for the Pilot are 17-18mpg, compared to 19-20mpg for the Equinox.
    We get about the 19mpg Average on our Nox.

The Pilot also cost about $10,000 more than the Equinox.

Then the Honda Pilot Recalls:

On certain earlier vehicles, a timing belt tensioner pulley on the water pump is misaligned and could cause the timing belt to contact a bolt on the cylinder head. Eventually the belt could be damaged and fail. If the timing belt breaks, the engine will stall, increasing the risk of a crash. Dealers will inspect the water pump and if it is one of the defective pumps, the water pump and timing belt will be replaced.

Some fuel tanks were improperly manufactured. In a crash the fuel tank could be damaged and leak fuel which could result in a fire.

The steering column may be incorrectly assembled on some Pilots, which could result in a loss of steering control.

Some Pilot owner's rear spoiler on their Pilots warp and popped loose. This is a common problem that has been going on for several model years.

Early auto reviews of the Pilot include; that the Transmission exhibits hard down shifts and gets confused at 40mph speeds.

Also front brake rotors warp and cost close to $300 to fix the problem.

Owners of 2006 Pilots are experiencing vibration problems in the drivetrain or drive shafts.

The Honda Pilot looks are outdated, and the spoiler looks like an after thought.

The Pilot looks like a "Rolling Box on Wheels" compared to the Equinox.
  • oilman1oilman1 Member Posts: 4
    I just dumped our 03 Odyssey on a new Equinox,I wasn't impressed with Honda.I think years ago they made a great product but,after having two new vans I wasn't impressed.Too many trips back to the dealer and always very tough to get a good price on one.Its funny,these vans win awards,recall after recall.I had struts replaced at 24000miles,transmission recall,fuel pump and assembly,pretty serious stuff.When you are paying close to twice the price over a domestic,is it really worth it?The warranty is 3 year and one has to pay for the roadside assistance.

I think I got good value with the Nox,mileage is decent.
  • misty8misty8 Member Posts: 15
    Whenever I have the driver side back seat folded down but the passenger side is up I get a lot of rattling noise. If both sides are either folded down or in the upright position I don't hear any rattles. Has anyone experienced this?
  • justmomjustmom Member Posts: 3
    My 05's ignition start used to hesitate once a month, now it's every day. I tried the "quick flick", to no avail.Is this a common problem - what's causing it?
  • mindfrost82mindfrost82 Member Posts: 4
    When you say hesitate, what exactly is it doing? Sometimes mine will sound like its trying to turn over, and it eventually does, or sometimes it won't. It doesn't happen very often though.
    Mine too. When I turn the key and release it, the engine takes a second or 2 to finally turn over. It always starts. The best way to describe it as a hesitation. I wish I could spell the sound! I guess I'll take it back to the dealer - ugh.
    Here's a new one. The sensor that shuts off electric when you open the door no longer works on the driver door. It works on all the others. So, when I get out of the car I have to open and shut one of the doors to turn off the radio/clock. I think the dealership is stumped. Anyone?
    1) Solved my minor rattle in the back seat by moving it into a locked position.

2) Since the Equinox is as hi-tech as any foreign job, it's main brain is a computer. There are probably about 50 to 100 sensors from which it receives engine data, safety data, and vehicle data.
    (Haven't had a chance to open the shop manual and count them all!)
    So with that information, the computer has to then make proper engine adjustments to satisfy environmentally conscious.
    So I don't think 1 second is to much to ask from your Nox's main brian. If it take 2 seconds to start, blame "green peace"!

3)In regards to that door sensor. Any good auto-tech at a reputable dealer should be able to fix that. Sounds like a bad door switch/sensor, connector, or wire.

Have a nice day!
    :shades:
  • jbrandtyjbrandty Member Posts: 1
    I found my key was wearing down. I have relaced my key twice now and the problem goes away until the new key gets worn. I even have shavings around the ignition (it looks like gold dust) I'm not a car guy, but this seems to work for me. I hope this is actually this simple.
  • gttaswmgttaswm Member Posts: 2
    I just got my 2006 nox about 4 months ago and we were already in for a fuel gage going out. Two weeks ago the car hesitated while starting but finally did, the next morning on my way to work it totally died at a stop light and would not start again. After being towed it was determined the fuel gage relay was bad, replaced and it worked. This morning it simply wouldn't start!! It again got towed but started up once there and has been fine since. They cannot find anything wrong but are holding it overnight. Any help would be very helpful as we're ready to get rid of it due to so many huge problems in such a little time!
  • jacciarrijacciarri Member Posts: 1
    My '05 Equinox has broken the spare tire carrier loose twice now. I think the water could be coming from the same area. Take out the spare tire and see if the spot welds that hold the center section to the floor are broken. When mine broke loose, it left 4 holes where water would enter when driving in the rain. The dealer has re-welded it again, and painted it to prevent rust. The problem, best I can tell, is because the spare tire "floats" on the carrier, so if you drive on rough roads, the vibrations cause it to crack the floor where its welded. I put two small blocks of wood under the spare tire before I tightened it down to prevent this from happening again, and it appears to have worked for now.
  • gttaswmgttaswm Member Posts: 2
    For those of you who might check here in the future here's the outcome. Service is replacing all connectors for fuel and starter. The total wiring harness will be replaced as they say that can cause relays to burn out and cause like symptoms. However I will be leaving this forum as I have decided to replace that vehicle with a TrailBlazer while still in the shop (almost a week now) so I will be unable to let you know how their work helped...or didn't. Good luck to all with an Equinox! :sick:
  • brokenjbrokenj Member Posts: 1
    We had a thumping noise in our rearend. But we had took it in because the rear windshield washer had quit working for the 4th time. We mentioned it and nothing was really said. When we picked the car back up they had replaced the rear end replaced the door panels where my wife's rings had scratched them and replaced the stereo wher my daughter had turned stations so much she wore the color off. They said there was no recall on the rearend but the factory had sent out a bulletin saying there may be something wrong so they just changed the whole thing. You may want to ask about that.
    In response to "gttaswm post" #955 & #957
    There are thousands of flooded :surprise: vehicles out there that are being sold as new or used vehicle. Some are being relocated and retitled illegally and then sold.
    Do VIN# checks and Title verification.

"gttaswm" problems are the same problems that a Vehicle that has been driven or has been sitting in high standing water.

According "gttaswm post" #955 & #957 :
    "2006 Nox 4 months old, fuel gage failed. Hesitation while starting. Totally died at a stop light and would not start again. Service is replacing all connectors for fuel and starter. Can cause relays to burn out. The total wiring harness has to be replaced."

These are symptoms of a flooded vehicle and deception.
  • paul62paul62 Member Posts: 2
    I'm actually pretty easygoing and easy to please but this 2005 Equinox LT has been a complete disaster. post not to whine, but to share experiences of my 2005 Equinox for others interested.

It has spent many days and nights in the dealership for major warranty work.

1) Flush to the coolant system and new hoses installed twice. Average repair time is 8-10 calendar days.

2) Thump thump thump from the front suspension all the time. Several suspension parts replaced. It still thumps.

3) Paint flaking off interior front door handles; with slightest amount of pressure.

4) Radiator hose bursts sending smoke into drivers compartment on wife.

5) Heater core cracked due to above.

6) All occurred with under 20,000 miles.

It seems GM places their newly introduced vehicles into the market fully expecting to uncover problems and fixing them as they go via warranty work. This may be an economical business model which works for them, but it certainly stinks for the consumers who have to work with their dealerships to resolve the issues.

I am unwilling to ever buy another first-year production GM vehicle and will likely never buy any GM vehicle again.