Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford 2001 Heavy Duty F-250

Comments

• jimbobwillyjimbobwilly Member Posts: 1
    My wife just put about 15 gallons of unleaded gas in my F250 Powerstroke Diesal V8. She drove it about 6 miles. It sounds awful. What's the likely extent of damage?
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    To the truck or your wife??? If no one here knows the answer, try ford diesel.com.

Good luck.
  • bobsquatchbobsquatch Member Posts: 136
    I would have to run from the law for the rest of my life if that happened to me. First things first. #1. Your wife is on permanent truck restriction. #2. From this day forward you can do no wrong. #3. Depending on how it was driven and how much diesel was in the tank, you may be O.K. Drain the tank and refill with diesel. Drain the fuel filter bowl and refill by turning the key to the run position without starting. Repeat this until you smell no gasoline and you will have purged the fuel system of gasoline from the tank to the filter. Replace the fuel filter. Now it is decision time. You have already run six miles so letting it idle for 30seconds to purge the remaining fuel in the injector rails probably will not hurt anything more than what is already done. If you want to be sure though you can remove the entire injector bank on both sides of the engine. You may be OK though as diesels are tough and it was a short trip.
    I did order my truck and it was not an option. I would have to live next door to the Kentucky truck plant to get what I wanted. Even then I am pretty sure only 3/4ton+ rigs come out of there so it wouldn't happen.
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    As you have learned, never let you wife drive your truck. She is accustomed to filling up the minivan and never gave it a thought. Did she even notice anything wrong, or was it you when she pulled into the drive with the truck making terrible noises? Bobsquatch is right, she needs to be on permanent truck restriction.
  • white250white250 Member Posts: 68
    Has anyone added on aftermarket clearance lights to there F 250 ? If so, was is worth the it ? Since I bought mine off the lot I had no choice in that option , it was only $50 bucks too.... I would appreciate any info....thanks
  • talltreestalltrees Member Posts: 1
    Hi I move to the US about 4 years ago from UK.
    Now I bought a 2001 F250 SD SB last year.
    So I need help? I would like to fit grain boards to the bed. Has anyone got a design what timber to use etc.

Regards Alastair
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    what are grainboards?
    I bet talltrees is talking about side boards that you put into the stake pockets to allow you to carry bulky loose material, maybe mulch, trash, leaves, brush, etc...
  • fordtuffordtuf Member Posts: 101
    I came from the farm country in southern Illinois, you almost never saw a truck with out them. They usually hauled corn, wheat, oats and soybeans. It would also help to keep the occasional cow that was being hauled, from jumping out.

I don't know how far reaching the company is; but, try Tractor Supply Company. They probably have a web site. A long shot would be Leer. Have you heard of Northern Handyman?

To be honest all that I have seen were homemade.

Good Luck.
  • frankno1frankno1 Member Posts: 68
    Am changing the front and rear axle ratios from 3.73 to 4.30. Have a 10,000lb trailer and am not happy with the pulling performance of the 3.73 axles. Especially in the hills and mountains. Does anyone have any experience in changing the axles and were you satified with the change. Ford book shows the trailer pulling capacity goes from 10,000 to 12,500 with the axle change. Have a 6.8L V10 Crew Cab and really love the truck. Haven't had any problems yet and don't expect any.
    Drove it to Alaska pulled a 8000 lb trailer and wasn't happy in the mountains.

Thank ahead
    Now is the time to make some big decisions. If you do change your ratios now is the time to add lockers if you want them. I would reccomend manually operated lockers such as arb or ox lockers. This will be the cheapest time to upgrade while the diffs are apart. Also, think about the future. If you plan on running larger tires, take that into account now and adjust your ratio selection accordingly. You may want to go with 4.56's or lower to compensate for 35"+ tires. Good luck on your choices. P.S. do not skimp on parts here. Use the highest quality parts you can buy to prevent future problems
  • jcave1jcave1 Member Posts: 137
    Coming up on the 30k service and would appreciate opinions getting it done. The goal is to minimize risk of a poor job. Want the torque converter flushed etc. Don't have a good work area to do this myself. Dealership service is questionable, a good friend had his Dodge serviced a local five star dealership only to discover they had underfilled by two quarts. Not a slam, just reality, definitely a cause for concern.

Thoughts or advice for the Portland, Oregon area would be most appreciated.
    bobsquatch,
    Thanks for the info, but I probably never take this vehicle off-road. I use my little of Suzuki for this. I am rebuilding a Suzuki. Use the Super Duty for pulling trailer and travelling around. Wanted the lower rear axle for mountain travel.
    Have a good day,
    Frankk
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    Judging from what I have seen, all super duties have manual hubs on the 4wd models right? I thought I heard someone say, though, that you could engage 4x without getting out and locking the hubs. They said that the man. hubs were just there in case the auto hub lock failed, which it often does in some models when it isn't used much. Was I hearing things - do they have plain ole manual hubs or is it the best of both worlds like I thought he said?
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    There are 2 types of hubs available for the SuperDuty:
    1. Full manual. just like old school hubs.
    These hubs usually come with the SD's that have the floor mounted 4x4 shifter. They are either locked or free, and not controled from the cab at all.

2. automatic hubs: These are the hubs that come with the SD's that have the switch on the dash to shift into 4x4 (ESOF). These hubs have 2 positions:
    a. automatic: the hubs will automatically lock when you put the dash switch to 4x4 mode.. and unlock in 4x2 mode..
    b. 'locked': more of a fail safe mode in case the 'automatic' feature were to fail for some reason..
    I thought that was the way I understood it. That really sounds like a pretty solid system, and a intelligent way of working things out. Plus, you can't beat the look of those huge twistable hubs. They really look tuff to someone with an eye for truck stuff like that. Thanx man.
    Yeah, Ford has the right idea with dual mode hubs. They need to take the next step though and have them available with the manual transfer case and also have them operated independantly from the tcase with a seperate switch on the dash. That would be the ultimate setup. Cushy remain in cab operation, manual redundant backup, still having the option of 2wd low range and being able to flat tow your rig if necessary. Come on Ford, get on it!
    What mechanical changes would have to be made to have 2lo? I know some guys that do a quick mod in tacoms to have that 2lo, but could Ford accomplish that from the factory with the man, t/c or did you mean something else. Im just trying to get a feel for the setup on these trucks.
    All you need for this is to not lock the front hubs. This is why my dream setup would have an independant control for them. I have a manual tcase and hubs so I can achieve this easily. People with the ESOF system are out of luck unless they want to start pulling fuses. Some folks even install hubs on their rear axels but for my application it is not necessary.
  • plagraizeplagraize Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2001 S. D. DIESEL. WHEN SHOULD I HAVE TO PLUG IN THE BLOCK HEATER TO START THE ENGINE. I LIVE IN SOUTH LA. RECENTLY IT WAS 29-26 DEGREES F. MY TRUCK WAS VERY HARD TO START. IT TOOK SEVERAL GLOW PLUG WARMINGS TO START THE ENGINE. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED. BROUGHT TRUCK TO DEALER FOUND NOTHING WRONG WITH TRUCK.
  • vwracervwracer Member Posts: 90
    The place I work requires drivers to plug in their block heaters when it gets down to 40` F.
    You shouldn't have that much trouble starting the PSD at 25-30 degrees. I plug mine in below 35 degrees out of convenience. You know, fire it up and you have instant heat. I think the manual says to plug it in when temps go below 10 degrees or so. I have started mine stone cold in near zero weather. It started just as quickly as when plugged in, the only difference was a very small puff of white smoke and a little more noise than normal.

Do you know if you had No. 1 or No. 2 diesel in your tank. Being in southern LA I would bet you had No. 2, which is the summer blend. Is it possible that maybe the fuel was at the point where it was trying to gel?
    Does anyone know where a person can get the dry weights of a Ford pickup. Specifically a F250 SD CC 4x4 V10. Single rear wheel.

Thanks ahead
    Frankk
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    fordtruckenthusiasts has the info. Do a search and then go to specifications.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    From Ford 2001 Spec Sheet
    Base Curb Weight
    F-250 XL
    4x4, Styleside, CC, SRW, w/ 5.4L V8
    SWB 156" Front 3534 lbs, Rear, 2482 lbs. Total 6016 lbs
    LWB 172" Front 3633 lbs, Rear, 2519 lbs. Total 6152 lbs.

Additions
    6.8L V10 w/ Manual Tranny
    Front 134 lbs. Total 140 lbs
    6.8L V10 with Auto
    Front 175 lbs. Total 188 lbs.

Other weighty options:
    A/C Front 44 lbs / Total 41 lbs
    Cab Steps Front 46lbs / Total 75 lbs.
    XLT Trim Front 89 lbs / Total 93 lbs.
    Lariat Trim Front 117 lbs / Total 136 lbs.
    Off Road Package Front 41 lbs / Total 68 lbs.
    Spare Tire & Carrier Front - 18 lbs / Total 117 lbs
    Power Windows, etc. Front 13 lbs / total 18 lbs.
    Hitch/Receiver Front -11 lbs / Total 49 lbs.

Best bet - find a scale/ slip 'em a few bucks, get the real weights.
  • benr0benr0 Member Posts: 22
    I have F250, CC V10 2WD
    Loaded with gas and passengers I weigh 7250
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The new Ford Truck Owners club is now available on Edmunds.com Owners Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Pickups.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • arkie3arkie3 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2000 F-250, 4x4, PSD, CC, with approximately 42,000 miles. I have never owned a Ford Truck let alone a diesel. I have several questions about this truck that I would appreciate a little info about.

1. The truck came with a "leveling Kit". I know that this helped to raise the front of the truck to match the back end. What exactly did this kit consist of?

2. With this leveling kit the 265R16 tires that are on it look a little small. Does anyone know is 285s or 305s will fit on the factory wheels and if they fit, will they rub.

3. I purchased this truck to pull my 32 ft conventional pull camper trailer. I tend to pull this trailer above 60 mph on most occasions. Are the transmissions on these heavy duty trucks able to carry heavy loads in overdrive? My past chevy trucks were not designed to pull loads in overdrive and several of my friends had transmissions fail due to pulling loads in OD. Do I need to always pull heavy loads with the Overdrive turned off?

Any info that you might provide would be very helpful.
    I try to help you as much as possible.

1. The leveling kit, from what I understand, was an extra leaf to add to the front end.

2. I don't personally know of anyone with 305's on their truck, but I do know the 285's fit with no problems. I would suggest turning your front tires full left/right and see how close they are now. Those 305's are going to be 40mm wider than the 265's, so you'll need at least 30mm clearance to be safe.

3. All my past trucks were 1/2 tons with auto's. I agree with never pulling with them in O/D. I have a 6-speed now, but from what I can gather from other PSD auto owners, they pull all but the heaviest loads in O/D. My suggestion, see how it does in O/D, if it shifts alot, take it out. If it doesn't shift very often, say at every incline, then leave it in O/D.

Maybe someone with an auto will respond with actual experience.
  • jimvetajimveta Member Posts: 96
    Fiberglass fenders for super duties, if you like
    the prerunner/race style:

http://www.off-roadfiberglass.com - click on
    either the "off-road fiberglass" or "street
    fiberglass" link and under the ford section is
    an entry for F350.

http://www.hannemannfiberglass.com - larger ones

larger, especially wider, tires may still rub against the inner
    fender/wheel well covering when turning so that may require trimming
    or removal if you want to keep lifts to a minumum.

• tj_610tj_610 Member Posts: 132
    Am getting first F-250 later this year. Would prefer to get 2002 if major changes are in order for next model year. Anyone have any info on changes for '03? What I saw of the "Mighty Tonka" concept frightens me.
    Biggest change for 2003 is new 6.0L Navistar-built PowerStroke Diesel Engine. Lighter engine, cleaner burning, with more torque and HP than current 7.8L stroke. New diesel may be a "late availablity" item. Haven't heard about anything else big changing, though I'm sure there'll be incremental improvements.
    If you want current diesel you need to order it pretty soon, they won't be offering it for much longer. If you want to special order keep in mind that last year, they rolled all orders after 5/10/01 over to 2002s. After cut off date, you only have dealer inventory to choose from until production lines resume.
    Thanks again, you have given me good info in the past re: Super Duty. Am going V-10 gasser, not diesel, so I may sit tight. Reason for wait is I'm moving end of June, want relationship with local dealer if works out, and wife just got new minivan and I prefer to save more $$ first. I'm allergic to car payments.

May 10 deadline is interesting for orders (I'll prob end up ordering), I had read June-July elsewhere. Looks like it will be an '03 for me.

BTW, any web site where you can get info like what you shared? Ford Truck Enthusiasts is great, but fairly unorganized.
    I usually lurk over at http://www.ford-diesel.com. They're diesel fanatics and look down at gassers as second class citizens, but the rest of our trucks are all the same so I find out a lot.

Other superb site is Ford Truck Enthusiasts at http://www.ford-trucks.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

There's alot of really knowledgeable folks at both sites. You have to wade through a fair amount of drivel, but both sites are goldmines. I rarely post at either one, because usually 10 others have already replied with an answer by the time I see a question I can answer. Whereas things are slower over here....so I can be a big fish in a little pond.

As far as order deadline, it has a lot to do with how many parts are in pipeline at factories. Truck sales were slower this year than in '01 so they may stretch out special-order cut off.

Personal question: just curious, what kind of M.D. are you? Most docs I know aren't into Superdutys - Cadillac Escalades, Yukon Denalis, Range Rovers, yes, but not Pickups. Tell me it's just not for the leg room .... ;-)

Good memory, or you went back and found my old posts ;-). So I will oblige. I am a radiologist -- interpret MRI's, CAT scans, ultrasounds, x-rays, do procedures like biopsies and angiograms. It is a field with a reasonable work schedule, so will have time to haul large boat and/or camper in the near future. We'll be living near mountains and lakes. I'm also becoming a 1st time homeowner, wife doesn't want leather-clad minivan used for mulch, etc. While a Ranger would fit most people's bill, you may recall that I'm 6'10". So, you busted me, it is for the leg room. LOL

Actually, reason for SD is three part, in order of importance:
    1. Want a truck for all the things a truck can do, and although don't need full SD capabilities now, I will want them in a couple of years.
    2. Leg and head room. I like getting the most vehicle for the money. We looked at wagons for our family vehicle, but for a few thousand more, got a much bigger minivan. Price diff of F-250 to F-150 is small enough, and the capabilities and room better enough, to justify it for me.
    3. IMO, far and away the best looking truck out there, and Ford has solid truck reputation.

Maybe its all a rationalization for reason #3, but what can a guy do? Do you remember Jeff Goldblum's great line from "The Big Chill"? "Rationalization is better than sex. Ever go a week without a good rationalization?"

Almost forgot -- thanks for the links!
  • fordtuffordtuf Member Posts: 101
    The 285's are the largest that will fit on stock rims. I have BFG's 285/75/16. Make sure you get a minimum D load rating, these trucks came with Steeltex E rated tires.

I tow a 27' and have towed a 34' on occasion. If it keeps shifting in and out of OD then lock it out. Mine is a V10, it only shifts down on the larger hills. Keep in mind I tow at around 73 mph. It usually keeps the engine closer to the power band and it does'nt have to downshift as much. If I tow at 76-78 it almost never downshifts.

The PSD should handle it better because of the power curve.

I had about 64,000 on my first truck and not one tranny problem.
    http://www.sunrisefordfleet.com/2003_order_guides.htm

FIrst few pages of order guides have changes listed by model and trim level for 2003.

• rbroylesrbroyles Member Posts: 5
    dealer has a 2001 2504wd v10 left over.wants i believe too much.msrp33670,with x planhe wants 28547+tax.i would think that being a 01 even though new, it would sell for less due to being going on almost2yrs old. any input would certainly be appreciated
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    What about the "new" diesel motor ?

DL
    Posts at ford-diesel.com indicate late availability of the new 6.0L diesel, 11/4/02.
    R&R transmission at 8000 miles :-(
    BUMMER!!!!!!!! Didn't you just get that truck about 3 or 4 months ago?
  • frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    I know this is a 250 forum, but nobody else has answered my question elsewhere. How can I determine, by looking at the OUTSIDE of the rear differential case, if an F-150 has limited slip ? Are there codes stamped into the housing ? A tag ? Is there a way, using the VIN number, to determine this ? Do I need to contact ford ? the truck is a 2001 F-150 Supercab 2x4 "Sport" XLT. thanks.
    I bought it back in september. Just started to drive it in march. I still love this truck regardless...lol. Dealer had the new trans done in two days !!
    White250 - Sorry about the tranny. What went wrong? (Do you tow?).Just curious, wanna know if there are any symptoms to keep a lookout for.
    I remember the discussions when you bought that truck. I was so happy for you. It's always a bummer learning about premature failures like yours. Sounds like dealer service did good by you, "tranny in two days." Hopefully they did it right and you won't have to go back for a repeat performance. Hopefully also, those evil tranny demons will stay away from me.

All the best

jerry
    I just heard a winding sound through all the gears except overdrive, even when the trans was downshifting. Their was some type of internal failure, they found heavy metalic shavings in the fluid.The dealership I bought it from and get serviced at is the best!! This service went so well, it's like it never happened....lol I still love my ford ! I get more compliments on that truck then anything I have ever had. As for towing, I have only towed 2500 lbs. a couple times so that should'nt have caused anything.
  • dinger2bdinger2b Member Posts: 7
    Anybody know if there is a larger (larger than 29 gallons) gas tank available for the Ford 2002 Crew Cab SD with short bed? This is a 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel. Thanks in advance
    Don't believe a larger stock tank exists. There was post on the ford-diesel site stating that dual tanks at time of order is an option. One of those well kept secrets. If you already own the rig, then I doubt the option is of any value. You might cruise the f-d site or even ask over there.

Anyway, just a thought.

jerry
This discussion has been closed.