Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford 2001 Heavy Duty F-250

Comments

• dinger2bdinger2b Member Posts: 7
    I just answered my own question. After market larger gas tanks are available at www.transferflow.com/ in a 46 gallon and a 59 gallon size. Pretty good stuff as they are 12-14 gage aluminized steel. I think I will have to get one. Thanks for responding though.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    The only way you can get dual tanks is with Chassis Cab - not with pickup body.
  • dinger2bdinger2b Member Posts: 7
    I am looking for a replacement tank not dual tanks and I can get up to 59 gallons as a replacement without lowering the spare tire with the Transfer Flow tanks.
  • jcave1jcave1 Member Posts: 137
    Dah, sorry, I had heard about transferflow, folks seem to like them. Guess I didn't realize the fundamental need. Imagine, 59 gallons of fuel. Wow.

WP - thanks for setting me straight. Thanks to the great members, we learn stuff almost everyday on this board.

jerry
  • frankno1frankno1 Member Posts: 68
    Has anyone else noticed this problem of surging cruise when you try to restore original speed. Sometime drops off and the surges up and drops off. May have to take into Ford to find out.

Frankk
    Sorry no. Mine is very smooth, no surges that I've noticed. Don't use it a lot though but did this past weekend.

Good luck. Please keep us posted as to what you find.

jerry
  • jdtopperjdtopper Member Posts: 58
    every chance I get, even down to 30 mph in town. (I finally got old enough, smart enough and tired enough of paying speeding tickets, so now I just set it at the limit and forget about it) One bonus about using it religiously is that I'm now usually a tad slower than most of the traffic, so I have more time to recognize that a problem is developing on the road in front of me...and I get to do more sight-seeing... ;-)

Mine does surge a bit, but only at very low speeds, or if I'm driving on very hilly whoop-de-do type roads. In both cases, I suspect it's the turbo kicking in rather than the cruise not controlling well enough; it can only react gradually, whether that means adding more pedal or backing off. On open roads at speeds above about 55, there is no surge whatsoever...it stays absolutely locked in at the setpoint. For hours and hours and hours if I'm on I-5...

Resuming cruise after braking is fine too, it gradually accelerates to the setpoint - unless I'm using it in one of those very slow or very hilly areas I mentioned.

JT
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    My cruise is also rock solid. I use mine almost everyday, every chance I get. I have never used it at slower speeds though, so I can't comment on that.

Jack, you mentioned your cruise surges a little at lower speeds. Does your truck do it without the cruise at the same speeds? Mine has a slight surge at "in town" speeds. It is the most noticable in the lower gears crawling along between 1,000-1,500 rpms with a light foot on the throttle. I have been told it is air in the fuel being supplied to the injectors. The factory fittings in the tank and pre-pump lines are letting air in.
  • mesazonemesazone Member Posts: 51
    I too have the '01 PSD and at slow speeds, the motor can't seem to decide on what to do. The speed stays constant, but the motor revs up then down, then up then down. Above about 45, it is real steady. If I'm controlling the gas flow, there is no surging unless I create it.

MZ
    Occasionally mine will search in the 40 - 45 range. All depends on conditions. I don't like the tranny searching so if it's excessive, I lock out overdrive until I can either reduce or increase speed out of that range. I could see where tranny searching might drive the cruise nuts.

jerry
  • frobeyfrobey Member Posts: 17
    Hey Frank,

I have the V10 with auto and my cruise also surges...I find that it does this most going down long hills. Took it in to the dealer and of course since there aren't any long hills around the dealer they couldn't replicate it so they couldn't do anything about it...sigh.

Frank
    My '01, V10, 3.73 has a surge right around 70 mph with cruise control on. Don't have any problem at lower speeds. It's most noticeable on long flats. I experienced it since truck was about 5-6 months old, but I usually don't cruise more than 65 mph, (above 65 mileage drops big time,) so it hasn't been an issue for me. Totally forgot to mention it during last dealer visit for broken tailgate lock.
    I recently went to VA. to bring niece/apt. furniture and unreliable car back home from college, and towed U-Haul car trailer back to CT. VA has higher speed limits than CT. and I got reaquainted with surge on way there. It was windy, and the surge started makin' me nuts. I tried cruise with overdrive on & off but it didn't change it -still had cyclic increase in speed then drop back down, over and over..... Had to disengage cruise and restart it mulitple times. From watching the tach, it seemed that it happens when torque converter locks or unlocks. I didn't want to go any slower (10 hour trip), so I turned the cruise off and finished trip with manual go-pedal instead. Never have noticed surging without cruise on. Forgot about it again 'til I saw this thread.
    Strange thing on this trip, engine never surged on return leg towing trailer/car w/ 1/2 ton of stuff in bed, and three passengers. Truck was perfectly happy at 70 mph with a load.

Seems like it's a design feature to me - V10 tellin' us either work me or go faster! ;-)

Wp
    These trucks are definitely happier when loaded and working for their keep. Mine is soooooo much nicer to drive when towing or loaded.
    No, the surging only occurs if the cruise is engaged. If I'm on the pedal, it's every bit as steady as my foot. Of course, that does depend on the driving surface...if I'm out in the dirt working my way through ditches or over rocks it can surge some, but that's my fault. Overall, I'd have to say that the cruise is rock solid except under the extremes I mentioned in my last post.

It sounds like you and some of the other folks are seeing their torque converters come out of lockup when they really shouldn't be. Once I get fast enough to be fully into OD (TQ Lockup) it stays locked until I hit the brakes or find a really steep hill to climb. The faster I drive, the less likely it is for the TQ to come out of lockup. At 65 mph, I routinely pull 7% grades in OD with the TQ locked. I'm sure it would pull steeper ones than that and still stay locked, but can't recall the last time I drove over one.

JT
  • wwatkins1wwatkins1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2K F-250 4x4 crew cab, 7.3 diesel with automatic. I get easily 22 to 23 MPG on the highway. with tailgate up and running a/c. anyone else getting the same or better.
    22 - 23 is great mileage. My best to date has been 18.7 with bone stock '01 F-250 SC SB 4X4.
    Can you tell me how you get that much better mileage? You must have a secret.

jerry
    I REALLY don't think the TQ is my problem, since I have the 6-speed. I am going to start out simple, you know, the KISS approach. The first thing I will try is replumbing the fuel pick-up and the pre-pump fuel line. I figure $20 in parts, and two or three hours of labor, what could it hurt.
    ...didn't realize (or remember) that you've got a manual box. Just an idea, but what about binding throttle linkage or loose/worn motor mounts, or a vacuum leak on the cruise bellows (don't know for sure if our cruise controls drive the throttle with vacuum or not, but...) I've seen surge problems in the past from those sorts of things.

Watkins, I have a 350 version of your truck. The only way I can get that kind of mileage is if I set the cruise at 50 or 55 and drive on a flat road - preferably with a slight downgrade and/or a nice tailwind. If I'm at 65+ it's more like 17-18, and that's running empty with a hard tonneau cover. Is that real mileage you're quoting, or a number from the computer? Short term or long term average?

JT
    If the previously mentioned fixes don't work, then I will check to make sure the TPS is working properly. I never have noticed any surge with the cruise. Whatever is causing the surge is being amplified by axle wrap, IMO. I never have watched the axle while someone else drives it, but I can feel it when I get a little over-aggressive with the clutch. How do you check the motor mounts without taking off the hood and watching the motor?
  • benr0benr0 Member Posts: 22
    I have the same surge at 70 mph. I don't know of any fix from the dealer yet. Best Mpg for me is 18.5, Avg 13.5 mixed.
    look at the motor mounts for signs of obvious degradation due to cracking, tears in the rubber, etc.

You can also put the engine under load and watch to see if it "torques up" very much. That's easier to do with an automatic; you just put it in gear and keep one foot on the brake while you feed it a little gas with the other. With a stick, you could probably still do it by setting the parking brake and maybe placing some blocks in front of the tires. You could then (with the hood open) peek under the hood while you slip the clutch, or have someone else do it for you while you watch the engine for movement - be sure to stand to one side, and not in front... ;-) If it moves more that a half-inch or so when it loads, I'd be asking the Ford guys if there's something wrong.

If I remember right, yours is only a couple of years old, so it's pretty unlikely that the mounts are shot unless you've been awfully rough with it, or have been really unlucky recently.

JT
    You have surge at 70? Are you a V10 or PSD? From your mileage I'm assuming PSD. If you're a V10, 18.5 mpg!!! - what were you doing, coming down a mountain pass in neutral with a tailwind? I've gotten 14.5mpg - 1.5 hours at 55 mph, flat roads, no wind, no load, no traffic.

From replies I've gotten, I was beginning think that the surge is different between gassers/diesels, and Autos vs.manual trannies. Don't begin to know how cruise control works on a diesel, so I can't even a hazard a guess as to what if any common denominator there is between them. Maybe some programmer goofed in his code when they designed the cruise software. :-)
    Yeah I know, I don't expect to get 18.5 again. I have a V10 CC 3.73. Auto. I was going @ 65 on flat land with a 25mph tail wind. I29 south from Sioux City Ia to Mound City Mo. No AC, nothing in bed etc..
    Just had to ask 4x2? or 4x4? I have 4x4, CC, 3.73, LWB, auto and have to drive like my Granny just to get 14.5. But it sure is fun to say the heck with mpgs and put your foot into it every so often ;-)
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    00 f250 5.4L 5sp 4.10LS rear. I use my cruise all the time.. It sticks right at the speed I set it at.. Usually around 55 to 65.
    Sorry, I should have added to prev post, I have a 4x2 SWB.
  • bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    I haven't got a chance to look back through all the posts, but has anyone had trouble with their SD brakes rattling when driving on dirt (bumpy) roads? My dad's was rattling bad. He took it in and they changed out the bolts and it is better but certainly not cured. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and if anyone found a good fix. Thanks.
    Haven't heard of this specific problem. Lots of complaints about brake squeal however.
  • atlantapantheratlantapanther Member Posts: 1
    I just bought this truck with 71K miles, outstanding shape with new tires and brakes, for $21K. I am wondering if anyone can give me advice on a good Electric Brake Control. I tow a 3-horse bumper pull (about 7000# total) 3-4 times a month. I used to have a 93 F250 with a Teconsah (sp?) brake control and I was always banging my knee into it. I gather that Ford does not make a control for the 250 so I'll have to go with an aftermarket one. Any suggestions on one - brand, location on/under dashboard, installation?

Many thanks!
    I have the Tekonsha Voyager XP on mine. I have it mounted below the little "cubby hole" near the bottom of the dash panel, right in front of the gear shifter when it is in reverse. It is a slight reach if I have to adjust it, but it never has been in the way. If you are like me and are inclined to go overboard on things, don't get the "big" controller just because it is only a few dollars more. My controller is rated for up to eight brakes and I only have four. The controller works great on the road, but when driving around under 20mph, sometimes it gets a little overaggresive and will lock-up the trailer tires at the slightest touch of the brakes. I have learned to use the trailer brakes to stop the whole rig when driving slow, but those first few times before I got used to it were mighty embarassing. I've read that a "bigger" unit like mine applies too much voltage too quickly to the "smaller" four brake system, causing the lock-ups.

Just my $.02 worth.
  • gthiltongthilton Member Posts: 30
    My 2000 250 SD CC V-10 has a buzz coming from the manifold or heat shield area at 2400 RPM. The dealer has looked at it and can't get it to go away. They say they haven't seen this problem before. Funny thing is, I drive a 2001 350 V-10 at work, and at about 4000 miles, it started the exact same problem, except at 2200 RPM. Too big a coincidence for me to believe I have an "isolated" problem. Please advise me if you know anything. Thanks
    Sounds to me like the v10 flutter, Try doing some searches at - http://www.ford-trucks.com/

Some have found heat shield weld broke, and fixed with muffler clamp.
  • eleets00eleets00 Member Posts: 27
    Hello all. I hate to go backwards, but I placed this entry in the appropiate threads, but no one responded soooo. I would like to if anyone here owns the 2000 F150 Harley Davidson SuperCab &/or the 2001 F150 HD CrewCab. How do they drive? How is the reliability? What is the gas mileage like? I'm looking at the 2002 Ram Quad Cab, but like the Harley Davidson F150's better. But.. after my 96 Contour fiasco, I'm skeptical of buying another Ford product (I've heard the horror stories on the pre-2K2 Ram's). I live in Stn Mtn/Lithonia, GA & have to drive 48 miles round trip to work every day. Plus I plan on getting sport bike & would like to know which one is better equipped to handle the bike. How much should I expect to pay for either? Any info/advice anyone can provide will greatly appreciated.

PS - Anyone know where I can get some info on the next generation F150's?
  • kurtsbrotherkurtsbrother Member Posts: 2
    Ford Motor Company uses a puncture hole in the boot that holds grease at the sway bar bushings in order to allow grease to escape if the mechanic puts too much grease in it, correct?
    I was washing the 2001 F250 last night and decided to use window cleaner on the windshield to clean it. While up there, I noticed that right along the black seal across the top, there are a few spots where it looks like (oh what's the right word?) underside pitting? Like the glass was chipped on the underside before it was put in. It wasn't in just one spot either. I can take pictures and post them on my website and post a link here. (I just got my first digital camcorder and forgot about using it to show this.) I noticed this on both sides of the windshield. I only noticed it across the very top. Anyone else notice theirs with the same problem? Now that I've worried a bunch of F250 owners...
    Here is the link to the picture showing the chips I was talking about in #736

http://www.powernet.net/~shumways/pickupWindow.gif
    Looking to get a shell top for the bed of a F250 XC SB. Any advice on who is better and fits better. Since looks are in the eye of the beholder, I'll have to judge that for myself. What are the expected prices?
  • thumper1thumper1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '00 F250 Crew Cab w/ a PSD and have had very poor luck at fixing a "popping" or "clunking" sound from the underbody. My dealer has replaced the cab mounts, spring isolators several times and somettimes it's better, but still comes back after time. Any Similar problems or issues???
    Same problem with my '01 F250 SC PSD. I notice it more when it's cold or going over large bumps that require a lot of travel. I also notice it over small bumps when I'm loaded down. Doesn't sound pretty. Haven't done anything to fix it yet.
    My '00 350 CC 4x4 has been popping, clunking and thunking since it was new. I have 50k on it now. The noise originates in the front suspension, on the passenger side. Mostly it seems to occur when I make a sharp right turn into an uphill ramp, like a driveway, or when I have backed out of a parking space with the wheels cut hard over - when I start moving forward, I get a clunk. The dealer replaced some components in the springs (brackets and such) under a technical service bulletin, which helped at first, but it still clunks.

Lately, I've been wondering if it might be the front driveshaft, since it almost always occurs just AFTER I've been in reverse (and turning).
    I have vague memory of a thread having to do with ball joints and noises on '99 and '00 models. I think it had more to do with alignment/steering wander problems, but I kinda remember folks complaining of front end noises too that went away with ball joint replacement. The joints are supposedly permanently lubed, but were drying out or prematurely wearing or something like that.
    I have an '01 F350 CC, 4x4. Had problems from day one with loose cab mounts ( which were properly tightened after a couple of attempts). Also had popping/creak noise from front springs on slow speed bumps and also noticed it like JDTopper said on off-camber turns. Dealer put on spring tip isolators at 15K service and it's been quiet for the past six weeks. I think some folks have upgraded front end to "x-springs" from F450s to help level the truck better and in an attempt to get rid of the noise.
    2001 F250 SC SB 4x4 PSD

Two weekends ago we drove from Gardnerville, Nevada (near Carson City and Lake Tahoe) down to Yosemite National Forest. Drove around the forest and into Medesto then back home over Ebbetts Pass. A scary road. Not trailer friendly. No middle line and just wide enough for two vehicles. Just had camping stuff in the back and no trailer.

I did the calculations for my trip and I was expecting something around 18 MPG but it was an amazing 24.6 MPG! I've never done so well. That's almost as good as my '97 Grand Prix.
    Must've been all that thin mountain air - made the truck lighter. What'd you do, keep it in neutral and coast down all the mountains? ;-)

I am honestly jealous. I just filled up with 36 gals of gas at $1.51. Travelled 470 miles on relatively flat roads and got ~13 mpg with V10, 4x4, CC,LB. I suppose I could learn to tolerate diesel exhaust.
    I had to put it in first and second most of the way down the mountain just to keep from going too fast. Didn't want to burn up the brakes. I could have done that really easy.

The cheapest diesel fuel I can find around here (but still a well used place) is $1.43. It's usually $1.39. Gas prices and mileage were key factors in the purchase. Even though I knew I wouldn't use it to it's full potential most of the time.
    I just completed my first road trip with the PSD. Portland OR to Polson Mt and back, 1400 plus miles. Best mileage to date, 19.4. Also got to play with the cruise control and automatic tranny coming down two different mountain passes. Rarely did I have to touch the brakes coming down the passes with cruise on. The cruise did all the braking for me. Maintained the selected speed all the way down. I was very impressed.

jerry
  • don770don770 Member Posts: 12
    Just got a F250SD CCV10 4x4 with the offroad
    package. I noticed it sitting slightly lower on
    the drivers side. After taking some measurements
    from the wheelwell to the ground, sure enough. The
    drivers side is 3/4" lower. Anyone else notice
    this?? If so, can it be levelled???
    Go to www.ford-diesel.com and do a search on "drivers side lean". You should find plenty of info on this problem.
    Congrats on your new truck. Is it new or used? Have heard diesel owners complaining about front spring sag over time. Powerstroke is something like 400 lbs heavier than V10. Haven't heard of sag in gassers, but guess it could happen. Do you have camper package or heavy service suspension (gives you highest capacity front springs - code "U" or "V" springs)? Heaviest front springs shouldn't sag with V10. Is there a missing spacer, or spring tip isolater? If used, is/was there a plow, winch, heavy duty brush guard/bumper on truck? If new, maybe springs were arched just a little differently? If so, it's under warranty...... If used, a spring shop could either replace or rearch springs to level out truck - don't think it'd be too expensive. Either way it's still a $$$ truck, and it shouldn't be lopsided.
    Thanks, it is brand new. Has the Off Road and Snow Plow package. Took it back to the dealer and they installed a shim between the front leaf spring and the axle. I measured the lean at the frame and the front fenders. Leaning 3/4". They put a 1/4" shim in and told me they couldnt go any thicker. I have looked at other "off road" trucks and they seem to have the same problem. These were diesels though. It would bother me less if it didn't sit next to a 2000 Silverado, which does not lean. (I am the only Ford truck driver in the family). They HAD to give me some static for buying a Ford.
    Hi mullins87,,

Went there and they are now www.thedieselstop.com.

Did a search on "drivers side lean" and got no hits at all on this new site. Oh well.
This discussion has been closed.