Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2005+

Comments

• bigpapalukebigpapaluke Member Posts: 108
    I would e-mail either the dealer or Audi USA directly (that's what I did - auditalk@audi.com). Here's what I received from them:

The A4 3.2 will have a manual transmission (why they failed to do this on their 2005.5 model will remain a mystery.)
    Bluetooth will be an option
    S-Line sports package, which is the equivalent of the Ultra Sports Package on last year's model

The dealer should have a listing of what's available for 2006, but I think the biggie new options is what I have listed here.

Luke
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Luke is correct. The prices will go up slightly for 06, but not much. Biggest changes are bluetooth availability and S line packages as options.

Audi is cutting down on color choices for 2006 as well. Some current colors will be a sold order option only for 2006.

Also, just like A6, the A4 will cut down on too many individual option packages and will include a lot more equiptment in 1 package. Heated front seats, folding & dimming mirrors, 17 inch alloys, are now a part of the premium package.
    Don't know how they can justify another price increase for 06 after the already dramatic jump between the 05 and 05.5 models.

The colors that I see a lot of at the dealership have been the Dolphin Grey, Quartz Grey, Silver, Black, and Arctic White (seems we have a passion for the greys lately). So I don't personally see any of those as order only, but that's just speculation.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Personally, wanting Bluetooth and a manual, I would opt for the 06. Lease prices should be better too since the residual will be higher.

If you don't care about those things or are paying CASH, then the 5.5 might be able to be had for less money.

Right now, it seems, Audi is supporting VW -- Audi has finally really entered the Premium class in its various cars. They are better than ever and yet it seems the price/content hike (and how that influences the leasing which is the single largest category of buyers at 43+%) is still a bit out of whack. But even this has changed what with a softer car market and the deals from GM and others.

Audis, if the former tradition comes back somewhat, will be "smart money" cars once again. Moreover, if BMW and Mercedes keep on pricing their cars ever higher and their quality ratings don't improve (and Audis HAVE improved) they will remain New Money and Old Money respectively.

We'll see.
    2 of those are now sold order colors only for 2006. Dolphin Grey & Arctic White are not avaialble for stock orders for dealers.

Audi can always amend their order sheets throghtout the year. White is a pretty popular color, especially in the hot southern states.

Black, Silver, Quartz, Blue, & Red are the only 5 stock order colors available right now.
  • giovanni1giovanni1 Member Posts: 106
    Wow, I can't believe they would do that with Dolphin Grey as it seems to be a popular color choice and one of my favorites for the A4
  • timh2timh2 Member Posts: 2
    I really like the new 2005.5 2.0T A4 and was wondering how comfortable it is on
    long trips? I'm 6'.
    Has anyone had any experience with Audi dealers in Dallas?

Thanks in advance
  • prischprisch Member Posts: 16
    I just took deliver of a new A4 on Saturday. My longest trip so far has only been 70 miles, but I had no problems with the seats--very comfortable. In terms of leg room--I'm 6'2" and I can't come close to putting the seat all the way back. When I'm driving, there's not a ton of room for a passenger behind me, but that wasn't a major concern for me. I had a 2001 ES 300 and the new A4 had more legroom b/c the seat goes further back.
  • travantravan Member Posts: 8
    Can't believe that they would do away with the color white either. I'm in a HOT southern state. Have had a black car before and I don't want to cook anymore. How much of a price increase is there between the 2005.5 and 2006? If they put the heated seats; folding and dimming mirrors and 17 inch wheels in Premium package, how much will that go up?

Trying to decide to order a 2005.5 or 2006. I have never done this before. Has anyone else done this recently. If you order the 2006, how does one know if they are getting a fair deal?
    When you compare apples to apples, prices went up less than $500 from 05.5 to 06. A 6 speed Quattro 2006 (2.0) A4 with Sunroof, Premium, Technology, Bose, & metallic paint would come to $36,860 w/ destination. That same car in an 05.5 would be $36,395.

The 06's have front heated seats as part of the premium package. You have get the cold weather option to get the rear heated seats in the 2006.

But how many people really use rear heated seats in an A4? If you don't care about that one feature, the prices are less than $100 apart for 05.5 to 06.
  • joxer1joxer1 Member Posts: 27
    My new (soon) A6 will have the tip -- I anticipate some issues with this and plan to mitigate them somewhat by using "S" mode a lot of the time I am driving in town in stop and go and slow and go traffic.

What up - I thought you had abandoned Audi for Infinity????

Just got my A4 Avant 2.0T premium/lighting/sport, Moro Blue w/platinum last Saturday, replacing a 6 year old 3 series. I really like a lot of things about the car but the jury is still out on engine and handling (although the AWD can really put the power down nicely in many situations where the traction control wouldn've been engaged or the rears would be spinning on the BMW).
    Audi literally made me an offer that I couldn't refuse. The details in general are that they allowed me to cofigure a car that was as close as possible to the M35X, and beat the monthly lease price by a small amount.

After all the noise I had made, despite some slight concerns that they were doing this ONLY because they had to, I took their offer as an act of valuing customer loyalty. I took them at their word, that this was a failure to communicate, rather than a market position that was going to continue.

I don't know how this will all work out. I will gladly be the recipient of their offer, since it does benefit me -- and I also know that there are some inequalities between the two cars -- but for some give ups in one there are gets in the other and so on.

This deal was offered to me last Thursday, confirmed on Monday and the car and I should be wed no later than this Saturday.

I think, had I said, "not interested" I would have not been true to my long and loud publically stated preference for the Audi, under the condition that it was "competitive."

Audi came through, big time.

The fact that the MSRP and the lease price of cars is almost a disconnect is once again proven by this transaction. The A6 is $3,000 more money than the Infiniti (at MSRP). I do not yet know the cap cost, the residual and the money factor. I know I owe the first month's payment up front and a small fee to transfer the plates from my allroad to my A6. Infiniti refunded without issue 100% of my deposit and apologized for failing to win my biz.

I did NOT play the "well here is the number you have to meet or beat game."

My choices, months ago, were, without regard to price A6, M35X and S4 in that order. My choices with regard to price were M35X, A6 and are you kidding?

As in the opera, the "fat lady" sang and I will be in my new A6 unless something goes bump, in a couple of days or so.

Sorry, I had updated the LPS board, but did not post here.

Audi #28 will be here soon, net net.
    Hey great, I guess that means your continued participation in Audi forums! No need to apologize for not posting to every board, but I rarely look at any others under here.

Audi #1 in my driveway right now ;)
  • saocsaoc Member Posts: 22
    It sounds like you got a great deal. I also looked at the M35X but opted for the Audi. I did go "down" to an A4 3.2 from an A6 2.7T but that was mostly because 95% of the time it is just me or one other person in the car. I also liked the extra zip of the 3.2 in the smaller A4. The 3.2 in the A6 is adequate but I like more punch. The A6 interior is definitely nicer than the A4 but the A4 more than met my needs. I don't regret my purchase at all. Hopefully when it is time for my next car Audi will have an engine comparable to the 2.7T for the A6. I liked the 4.2 A6 but wasn't willing to pay the extra dollars.

Took my 3.2 A4 to the US Open in Pinehurst NC this past week and here are my impressions. Overall love the power of the 3.2 and love the sport suspension. No problems with the corners on the WV turnpike at 80. Got good mileage overall - 27.2 MPG averaging 67 MPH.

The climate control is OK with the only quirk that it does not really have a good vent option. If you turn off the AC it gets really stuffy but not a problem.

I have the NAV syatem. I have to give it a B though. It does not have the level of detail it should have. The rural county roads around Pinehurst totally befuddled it. I got a lot of IPD roads which must mean that it doesn't really know which road you're on.

It also is not as intuitve to use as it should be. It can get you to the place if you have a specific address but if you don't have the street number it only gets you in the general vicinity. If what you are looking for is already in its database it's no problem.

My wife has a Honda Odyssey with NAV and I think hers is much easier to use and has more detail. This is the same system that Acura uses and I prefer it. The touch screen is nice. For example her system has our actual street on it inn our 10 year old neighborhood but the Audi just says that I'm in the area. It is annnoying because her system will allow you to be someplace and set it as a destination and it uses the satellite coordinates to plot it. The Audi doesn't.

On the other hand the NAV plus gives you the screen as an interface for the sound system which is awesome. I love the XM radio.

As I've said before the trunk is functionally tiny. Had trouble getting 2 golfbags and 2 small bags in the trunk. It was like a puzzle to get it to fit. Not a problem since 90% of the time it is just me back and forth to work. I think they could still get it bigger, especially wider which it would be more useful.

Two issues. First of all the low oil light came on about 10 miles from home. I had to add a quart of oil. That seems odd in a car with less than 3000 miles. The dealer will be checking it out next week.

The second issue is that I got a major crack in my windshield so it will have to be replaced. I have to wait for an Audi OEM windshield.

Overall love the car and don't regret the purchase. :)
  • taxman10taxman10 Member Posts: 59
    it is great on long trips. Had my 2.0 Q with 6 MT since late Feb. Longest round trip is 250 miles in one day - around 30 mpg. Seats fine, very comfortable
    My wife's NAV system in her 2 month old BMW seems to have greater "depth" -- I thought NAVTEQ or something like that was THE company. The details in the Audi are about 90% of the BMW. Darn.

Moreover, my 2003 Audi had On*star. My wife's 2005 BMW has BMW assist, my new, two day old Audi has 911 but no specific telematics provider.

What up with that?

Now, truth be told, in three years I called On*star a couple of times.

$16.95 per month. Hmmm.

BMW charges per call, so if you don't use it, you don't pay for it.

NOW that makes sense.

Can't Audi offer something like this?
    When I was test driving an 2005.5 Audi A4, I asked the salesman about On*Star service on the Audis. He told me that when Audi researched the use of On*Star that there was not much use of the service and hence Audi has discontinued the service.
    I heard the reason was that On*star was analog and that Audi wanted all digital.

BMW assist is the best of both worlds as far as I can tell since it can be a pay as you use it system.

On*Star at 16.95 per month for a use once or twice per year, well, it seemed a little high, considering that the Sat Radio is used all the time and is only 12.95.

However, I would rather have telematics, such as On*star and have the choice -- Audi, in my opinion, has taken a step backwards by not having a "someting * Star" system of some kind.

On the other hand, I can still say "call 911" -- the nice thing about On*star was that it would send your location to On*star if the airbag deployed (if I am not able to call 911, what will I do -- die? -- yes, hence the powerful motivation to have On*star or BMW assist as just another "insurance" or back up policy.)

I assume Mercedes has something like this -- I know Acura uses On*star and somehow has partnered with On*star and XM to provide on line, real time, big time, show time traffic info.

Sirius has something planned too -- but the telematics to beat the dead horse even further should be part of every Audi. Heck even the cheapest GM car comes with On*star (or can be had with it). You can choose to use it or not.

Small peeve, for sure -- but please include it next time, Audi -- and be done with it.

Take it off the table as an objection, that is.
  • nismornismor Member Posts: 3
    does anybody know when are they gonna offer a paddle shifter on the A4, i know they do in the S4, but what about on the 4 cyl or 6, because in other countries the do offer it
  • max19max19 Member Posts: 22
    I don't know where to start. I bought my A4 1.8T back in October 2004 So that makes it an 2005 with the sport package. Three weeks after the purchase the serpentine belt broke :sick: (air conditioner out, power steering out, ETC.) 2 weeks out in the repair shop. 3 months after that, the left tail light went off :sick: (the car even let you know about it...) , and as recently as last week, the airbag sign came on. An extra 3 days in the repair shop. :lemon:

I am sorry for Audi lovers and the prestige that comes with the car but the real point is that the car has more rattles inside that I have ever imagined. I was crazy about buying this car, but it is really a total fiasco.

A friend of mine who bought a 330i says that bmw stands for brake my wallet. I cannot understand if they take so much prestige in the car, how could it reaaly be a wreck?

I had a 2002 Nissan Maxima that I bought in Ocotber of 2001 and beleive me, the car gave me absolutely no problems. My next purchase is going to be a Holden Monaro, I mean a Pontiac GTO. Same price and about 280 HP more. As I call it, the poor man's M6.

Previuosly, I had a Volkswagen Jetta 2000 1.8t and it was fully of noises by the time I turned it in as a trade in for the Maxima. :)

Goodbye europeans, hello Australia/America.
  • craigp1craigp1 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2006 A4 2.0T quattro on order (premium, sport suspension, sunroof packages - S-Line at 3K seemed rediculous), but recently drove the 2005 G35 coupe. What a beautiful machine. Anyone else ever compare these two cars? I know their different, but they are basically the same price. While the G35 coupe has the style and horsepower, the A4 is more practical with respect to winter driving. The rear seat in the G35 is surprisingly roomy considering the style of the car.

My heart likes the G35, but my brain says stick with the Audi.
  • tremainetremaine Member Posts: 7
    I looked at the G35 and did not care for the interior much. However, the big kickers were the gas mileage and the service. Service included with the A4 was huge and living in the SF bay area so was the big difference in the MPG. I also preferred the Quattro and the nice safety rating the A4 got. I still really like the G35 and I think it has many excellent features, but practicality pushed me to Audi.
  • socala4socala4 Member Posts: 2,427
    I purchased an A4 2.0T "Frontrak" (not Quattro) after comparing it to the G35 sedan, BMW 325i sedan (outgoing 2005 model), Acura TSX, Acura TL, and Volvo S40 T5. (I did not consider coupes because I require a useable back seat for business.)

I may provide a more detailed comparison/ review later, but my basic thoughts on the G35 sedan (again, not the coupe):

-Pros: Nice powerful motor (one of the nicest V6's available), exterior styling (personal taste, I know, but I happen to like it), reliable drivetrain. (I did not compare, but I would bet that the Infiniti automatic transmission is superior to the Audi CVT.) Also, for those of us in warmer climes, rear-wheel drive offers a performance advantage that even the best FWD can't match.

-Cons: Brake rotors have been a significant problem area, at least on the 2003-4 model years (not sure if this has been completely resolved, I believe that the 05's might have improved somewhat), interiors are not durable or attractive for a car in this price range, depreciation is notably bad (at least in my market). Also: poor fuel economy (although perhaps not unreasonable, considering the power output), finding one with a manual transmission is nearly impossible (I wanted an MT, so this was an issue), lack of maintenance package that is available with European makes. Also, with comparable equipment, the G35 would have cost slightly more (although it does have a larger motor, so an even comparison isn't quite fair.)

Also, the G35 will be replaced in 2007, so you may be in for a further hit to values. In contrast, I would guess that the Audi makeover in 2008 will be less drastic (in German fashion) and therefore less disadvantageous to residuals.

I hesitate to report on a car that I have owned for only five weeks and 1,700 miles, but so far, the A4 experience has been excellent. After a proper break-in, the motor is tractable, the manual transmission is almost Honda-smooth (the benchmark for manual transmissions, IMO), and the build quality all around seems to be solid, with the interior being a high point. Ergonomics are very good (better than the comparable BMW), and the performance is quite good, with no discernable turbo lag if you work the gearbox properly. (Judging from the comments on an Audi owner's forum, the MT is notably superior to the CVT for performance and drivability.)

Passengers uniformly love the car (comfortable leather seats, both front and back, and the design is quite easy on the eyes), the seats are excellent and easily adjustable. I also manage to beat the EPA mileage ratings: at a 72 mph highway cruise, I can get 35 mpg. And I'll be damned if the thing doesn't look great! (The sports package helps, thanks to 45-series tires, nice five-spoke wheels and the car being lowered by 8/10ths of an inch, a subtle improvement.)

But being a German car, I will be watchful of reliability, despite Consumer Report's positive comments. Also, I don't believe that the standard included free maintenance schedule is sufficient (oil changes every 10k miles after the initial 5k change?), so I will be paying for extra work, despite the service agreement.

The latest issue of Road & Track reviews the A4 2.0T quattro 6MT, and compares it to the Volvo S40 T5 AWD. Except for the motor, the Audi won in all categories, although the Volvo performed well and was considered to be a bit better bang for the buck. The article is worth a read if you are in the market.

Hope that helps.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    I test drove an A3. Asked about the free service. As far as I can tell, we're only talking about 4 oil changes (interval is 10k miles) and there's no loaner cars for oil changes. There is no tune up or brake service within the 4/50k interval.

So really, I really question the value of the free scheduled maintenance on Audis and BMWs. The big-ticket scheduled maintenace is going to come after, for things like tuneups and brake service, and other things like replacing gaskets, various pumps, belts, etc.

I'm really drawn to the German cars but wonder about purchasing and keeping them after the warranty period because of repair costs. I can find shops which specialize on Japanese makes like Lexus and Acura, which can do all the work the dealers can but at much lower prices. Not sure there are similar shops for the German makes. They may be cheaper than dealers but still much higher.
    To be fair, the maintenance package includes more than just oil changes: along with the obligatory inspections, lubrication and adjustments, it does include fluid changes to the CVT, brake fluid replacement, A/C filter replacement, and a spark plug replacement at 35,000 miles** (**I think -- the warranty booklet is unclear whether this applies to the new 2.0L and 3.2L engines.)

The warranty component will provide one clutch replacement if needed prior to 2 yrs/ 25k miles, and one set of brake pads if needed. It will also include one set of wiper blades if needed prior to 1yr/ 12k miles. It does not cover tires

So the service package includes the usual stuff. Newer cars have much longer maintenance intervals than cars from even 5-10 years ago, so none of this is much of a surprise.

I happen to take issue with the oil change intervals, because of the importance of clean oil to an engine's longevity, particularly with turbochargers in the case of the 2.0 liter. Because it requires a bit of 6 quarts of synthetic and has a cartridge filter, these oil changes will need to be performed by a dealer, specialty shop or a home mechanic with a specialty filter tool, which promises to make them a bit more than a $25 job.

Also, the cooling system is sealed, and Audi claims that the coolant should never be changed. I'm wary of this, but I don't know whether opening the system for a cleaning would do more harm than good, and I imagine that attempting to do so during the first four years would cause potential issues with the warranty.
    Well if there is all that done, the guy didn't sell it well. He mentioned oil changes and checks and tire rotation done at the same time.

If they're changing spark plugs, why wouldn't they just do a full tune up?

He specifically said no brake job but it sounds like BMW covers a brake job.

Yeah finding a specialty shop would be nice. There are plenty of which cater to Japanese makes for reasonable prices around here. I'm sure there are some for the German makes but I'm guessing they are costly, especially if you're talking about synthetic oil. Lexus does $100 oil changes but I'm not even sure they use synthetic oil.
    The concept of the tune-up and the need for them are different from what they once were. With electronic management systems, not as many adjustments are required, and plugs supposedly last longer. For example, Acura claims that the TL and TSX will not require a tune-up for 105k and 110k miles, respectively.

Still, I'm a big believer in more frequent filter and fluid changes (although I might be persuaded about the coolant if it can be shown to me that the sealed system is inherently more efficient than what they once were.) Fluids break down and filters pick up dirt, so I can't see how leaving them in for extended periods can possibly be good for an engine.
    But during the warranty period, things will be fine. That, I think, is the point of the extended service intervals.

My wife's BMW on a 36 month 45K miles lease gets 3 visits for oil 1 every 15K -- that's nuts, if you ask me.

No one asked me.

"I'm glad you axe me that question. . . ."
    15k between oil changes is ridiculous. 10k is stretching it, even on synthetic oil.

I don't think you should wait longer than 7,500 miles for an oil change using sythentic, and 4-5k on regular oil.

But if you're leasing a car and turning it back in before your warranty is over, I guess it's not your problem.
  • macmurdomacmurdo Member Posts: 31
    I have been driving my 2005.5 A4 since May, and generally (apart from a few unusual sounds) have been pleased. One thing is really getting on my nerves though... my key intermittently and according to no pattern that I can discern, forgets how to lock or unlock the car. Sometimes it happens after I've driven somewhere, get out and try to lock.... nada. Sometimes it locks fine, I go and do something, come back some time later (minutes hours...) and it won't unlock!!!

It's very frustrating. I have to go through the resetting sequence at least once or twice a week.

Does anyone have any experience like this?? Is there a solution?? Is it a problem with my key or the central locking system??

Any thoughts? :confuse:
  • cicerocicero Member Posts: 51
    I recently have had the same experience. Is it a battery failure or a problem with the security system. Mark inter alia, are you out their? Problems and Solutions maybe? Cicero
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    Apparently the key fob failure is the single biggest issue with the B7 A4. Just let your dealer know and they will replace your fob. I've noticed this complaint over at AudiWorld and the complaints have pretty much dried up suggesting that the issue has been resolved.

At the end of August I'll be joining the B7 Bunch... after much test driving and pricing. Boy, holding off on the new E90 330i was tough! Anyhow I'm looking forward to my third Audi :)

Byron ('02 A4 Avant, MT, most options)
  • agisagis Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking buying a front track A4 2.0. I test drive the manual and multitronic. I kind of liked the multitronic a bit more. Good power at all speed and i like the 7 speed "manual mode". The Audi sales guy swears he can beat a 6 speed with the 7 speed 'manual'. What do you guys think?
    Also I guess if a put on the 7th gear at 70 MPH I will get very good MPG.
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    Mark, loved to hear you are back with us :P . Do you think that they will ever offer the A6 in 6sp? I own a 2005 A4 6sp and I am in love with it, and mind you, that I have the anemic 1.8 engine!

What I would give to have the A6 in manual when my A4 Lease experies 2 1/2 years from now! Just a dream

R
    The Audi sale guy is correct. To get the times that the car mags get you really have to rev the engine and drop the clutch...Ouch!

But if you plan on keeping the car beyond the warranty period, I suggest you go for the manual anyhow (or consider an extended warranty plan). Audi manuals seem to be more reliable than Audi autos and CVTs. Also the current manual six-speed seems to be pretty good. I've driven two of them and they were great.

Byron
    As noted above, I have a 6-speed manual, and I'm pleased with it thus far.

Irrespective of the car, I would argue that virtually any 4-cylinder car is better mated to a manual transmission, because you as the driver will be better capable of adapting to the engine's torque curve and driving conditions than would an electronic device. A larger engine has enough power and torque that providing more driver control adds relatively minimal benefit, a big V-8 is often powerful enough for most of us to forego the shifting.

Also, automatics and CVT's are much more complex and therefore prone to failure. Aside from clutch replacement, there is little that can be expected to go wrong with the transmission of a MT car, something that cannot be said of an automatic.

Further, most of Audi's sales are in Europe, where manual transmissions are far more common. Accordingly, the company will put more effort into designing cars for its best markets, and those consumers will often want MT's. In the A4, the slickness of the action tells me that a fair bit of attention was paid to making it enjoyable to row through the gears of the 6 speed.

And finally, there is a cost issue -- the German cars really add a high markup for the AT. Be sure that you are willing to pay that premium, when it will just reduce your performance.

One advantage of the AT/ CVT cars is that they will probably be easier to sell in the US and Canada than would an MT. I'm hoping that I'll find an enthusiast who will appreciate a well-kept car with additional maintenance (i.e. extra oil changes,etc.) when it comes time to sell mine, but it seems that many a US buyer is not capable of driving a stick, let alone wanting one. (Priorities these days seem to be on drinking coffee, not driving.)
    Of the current competing transmissions in the current and foreseeable future configurations (in the US), I would say:

The A6 will never have a manual transmission.

The A6 quattro will probably not have a CVT for some time, but the FWD model if released in the US, will.

The A6 quattro will probably offer a 7 speed tiptronic in a year or two from now.

The A6 quattro will certainly offer at least a 6spd DSG -- and who knows the number of gears may increase in this transmission, too?

If I had my "magic wand" given the "never" statement could NOT be changed, my choice would be the DSG transmission. I have driven it in the 3.2 Audi TT -- and I have read all the glowing reviews of same about the A3 2.0T with DSG.

This transmission, even moreso than BMW's SMG, is "THE ONE" of the moment.

Carpe Diem. :shades:
    I don't think you are correct wrt the CVT. Unlike a slushbox, it doesn't rob power, adn it can actually stay at the precise spot required for the situation - a 6 speed is always trying to get your engine speed as closely matched to the current reuqirement as possible, but obviously having infinitely (relatively) speeds is able to keep it spot on. The funny part is when people ask about how many speeds the CVT has - all those speeds are simply software trying to duplicate a regular transmission for feel. It should be fastest to leave it alone, although it may feel a bit like driving a motorboat when you nail it, the engine zings up to the point where it can give the car the most forward urge and then simply stays at that rpm varying the gearing around it. I really do want to drive both this and the DSG in the A3 at the earliest opportunity. I do agree that I would never buy an auto with a 4 cylinder as the lack of torque just makes it a bad match at anything but highway cruising in lockup mode.

However, I do think that a manual transmission is still probably less problematic than a CVT, and I do enjoy shifting for myself, too bad if a FWD CVT is faster than my AWD 6MT. Even the DSG which really has a manual under the covers and can shift way more efficiently than any driver would probably not be my cup of tea, as the temptation is to just put it in auto mode and just become less involved with the process of driving.
    Well said.
  • italian_dieselitalian_diesel Member Posts: 3
    i just bought the new 2006 Audi A4 quattro, its my first audi. it was quite
    pricey but fun to drive. the 2006 A4 quattro cost me 55k CDN with tax, but i got
    the premium, lighting, SPORT, cold weather package and the headlight washers. i
    got black of course. but know i find the car is missing its sport appearance
    from the back, so i want to put a rear spoiler. i found prices here in canada
    but the range in 340 CDN plus painting plus tax, does anyone have any recommendations for a cheaper one on the net, a store, anywhere. the new 2006 rear spoiler is a three piece which covers the lights on either side of the hood.
    I would get the one on the Audi web site, have it painted and professionally installed (the springs on the trunk lid have to be modified or replaced, I can't remember which).

You might save a $100 some other way, but at this point that is, IMHO, a peanut, and I would rather have the perfect mate for the car.
  • italian_dieselitalian_diesel Member Posts: 3
    I live in Canada and the new 2006 A4 wing is not on the www.audicanada.com, has anyone found an orriginal Audi wing on the net. Because as markcincinnati mentioned saving $100 dollars wouldnt make the car perfect.

Thanks
    Victor
  • audichikaudichik Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my A4 2.0T manual quattro in April (special order), and experienced problems with the key fob about a month later. My car is currently in for it 5K service and when I told them about the key problem, my service coordinator told me that there is a new key fob (same look, but different electrical wiring) so he ordered the new ones for me. It is definitely a problem they know about, so if you call I'm sure they can get you a new one.

Another problem to look out for is a faulty temperature sensor. I live in Miami and and for the past few weeks before my service my external temperature reading was in the 40s. At one point it went down to - 47 F and my A/C starting blowing warm air (not very pleasing in hot and muggy south florida). It turns out it is yet another problem they know about. I'm stuck with a rental for a week until the new updated part comes in from Germany. Just some quirks new owners should look out for.
    Day 13, A4 town hall held hostage.

Is there anybody out there?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    But I do have a question... does anybody know if any of the Audi droptops will be hard tops, like the MB SLK350?

-Paul
    I've not seen too many new A4s in the real world around here.

Plenty of the old-style A4s though.

May not be a good sign for Audi.

Then again, not seeing too many of the new BMW 3-series either.

Again, imports are big around here (Bay Area).
    The only way to know how the new B7 A4 is doing is to check the NA sales figures. I haven't but I still don't see too many of the B6's in my area (NE Ohio). I think that the competition in this segment of the market has gotten pretty tough and that the new A4 design doesn't quite jell like the B6. OTOH over the past six months I've driven Acuras, BMWs, Subies and Audis (A4 & A3). I ended up ordering an A4 (my third). Have to say that the new E90 three series BMW is very nice but the Audi that works for me came in about four grand cheaper and has AWD, which is nice during the long dark nights of winter in Ohio.
    I've been keeping my eyes open for the new A4 on the road here, and I've seen maybe 1. Dealership in Charlotte still appears to have the same inventory for the past 3 months. May not be a good sign. I know they are offering some killer leasing incentives (money factory of 0.00113583 and selling the car at cost). I've also seen more of the old style as well.

Then again, it wasn't until recently where I've started to see more new 3 series on the road. Once they came out, I didn't see any. Now 3 months later, I've counted 5 - 6 in the span of 2 weeks (all with automatics - grrrrrrrr).

Of the luxery segment, I see more TLs, ES330s, and too many 5 series. Audis are rare in Charlotte.
  • gunter1gunter1 Member Posts: 5
    I got a brand new 2006 A4 Avant three months ago - truly a beautiful car and a piece of garbage at the same time.
    It broke down completely on the 2nd day - the dealership kept it the garage for a few day because they had no clue what went wrong - had to call their tech line - finally they recognized that the ignition coil needed to to be replaced.
    Fine, the car was repaired.
    4 days later, one of the key remotes stopped working on occasions - the dealership's only solution was to reset the electrical system.
    Couple of days after that, the same key stopped working completely - the dealership suggested that apparently two people were using both key remotes at the same time and were too close and the system locked itself - that's ridiculous, and "two people" were not using both key remotes at the same time. So, the dealership asked to bring the car again because maybe there needs to be a part replaced in the remote. Here goes my 3rd visit at the garage - just to find out that they don't have the part and have to get it from Germany, so I had to bring my car again when the part arrived. That was my 4th visit.
    Ok, the key remote was finally repaired.
    But, that's not everything. A couple of weeks after, I started to feel a very abrupt and harsh change of gears (automatic transmission) when slowing down or coming to a stop. At first it would happen once/twice a day, and within a week it started to happen with every slowing down and with every stop. It was so harsh that it was even felt in a passanger seat.
    Slowly I was running out of patience. It was time for yet another visit at the dealership.
    Meanwhile, when driving with the sunroof open, all of a sudden the sunroof started to close and stopped half way. This happened only once - the dealership didn't know what the problem was but they had a brilliant solution - as always - resetting the electrical system!
    Back to the transmission problem - on one hand the mechanic denied feeling/hearing any noise, but on the other he said that the shifting down was abit harsh plus his computer showed something faulty in the transmission. The solution? Of course, resetting the electrical system. Fine. It resolved the the problem for about 2 weeks. Now, I was into my 6th visit at the garage because the "harsh shifting" started to reappear. It started gently, so I was not able to guarantee that the problem will be duplicated when I take my car in. I told that to the mechanic, and he almost went out of control, yelling "What do you want me to do? How can I fix the problem if you don't show me what the problem is!". It was a bit offensive, but I am patient (perhpas too much). This time his computer did not show any problems, so I asked him to phone his tech line and find out if they heard about a smilar case and to find out how to fix it. He said he would do that and phoned me back - have not heard from him since.
    A couple of days after that visit, I was driving and had to come to a stop, and all of a sudden there was this big thump in the transmission. It happened once, twice and after the third time and simply turned back and headed for the dealership (coincidentally it was nearby). They were about to close for the day, all mechanics were gone, but luckily one of the customer service guys was able to go for a ride with me and experience the noise. It was not as harsh as a half an hour before but were were able to experience it twice during a short drive. So, now I will be bringing my car for service for the 8th time, and it has been only 3 months since I bought it.

Audi customer advocates and even customer reps from Germany, both of whom I contected don't give a damn about my problems. All I hear is "We are sorry" (pg. 1 of the customer service manual), "We are very, very sorry" (pg. 2 of the customer service manual), "We apologize for the inconvenience" (pg. 3 of the customer service manual). I'm sick of hearing the word "sorry"!

So, my recommendation for everyone out there would be: DO NOT BUY AUDI!
    It was my first and last Audi purchase and I have become a walking anti-Audi advertisment. Noone will hear anything positive from me about this brand ever!
This discussion has been closed.