Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2005+

Comments

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    Don't feel bad. There are probably tons of markets and customers where MSRP is a common expected ballpark. I used to live in Tallahassee and have seen dealer seriously offering Ford Focus by MSRP. Other time I saw Mazda 626 4-cyl in last year of production with dealer ADP sticker (they called it something like market adjustment or other junk term) of $2500 :mad:
    Just ridiculous, but hey if a 19-yr old college boy/girl or fresh foreign PhD starting his professor job thinks it is a good deal, why not at least try?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    ADP is a TLA for Additional Dealer Profit.
  • kocourkocour Member Posts: 11
    I found a really beautiful 2005 A4 1.8 convertible that the dealer is offering at a good year end price. But the horror stories that I have read in this forum and the stories that I have heard from local Audi owners gives me pause. It seems that about 1 in 10 Audis is a lemon and that Audi tries to get out of honoring its warranty. Any advise that would encourage me to take the chance and buy this car?
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    There are two potentially serious issues with the 1.8t engine:

1) Gotta change that oil every 5000 miles with high quality synthetic. Since Audi covers the 10 k changes that means that you must pay for every other change. The oil sludge issue seems to occur when the changes are only every 10 k with non-synthetic oil and the engine is subjected to short trips, freezing temps, and/or dusty conditions.

2) I think that the A4 manual states that the timing belt needs to be changed every 105,000 miles. Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, this should be done no later than 60k miles (along with the water pump).

Additionally, the dealer is a critical variable in the equation. I live in NE Ohio and am currently on my third A4 from the same dealer, who also performs all my car's service. This dealer is a key reason why I recently bought another A4. My previous '02 Avant suffered a burned out light bulb over my four year relationship. Just luck?... maybe :)

BTW, if the A4 you are considering is an automatic, make sure that you drive it and that you are okay with the power to weight ratio.

-----

Oh yeah, if it's a CVT transmission, I might just skip it.

Hey, good luck!

Byron
    Byron thanks for your response. At this point I am leaning against buying the Audi. But am having trouble walking away from the deal because the car is so beautifle. It is a 2005 model that has been on the dealer's lot for over a year. It has 730 test drive miles on it. I negotiated a price well below invoice. But am concerned about buying a car that I have no idea how it was driven for its crucial break in miles. When I asked the salesman about this he said it really did not require a break in period - as long as it was not driven at a constant high speed for several miles. I have asked some local Audi owners about this dealer and found that they have a really bad reputation for trying to get out of doing warranty work. I really love the design of the car but dependability is my first priority. My current car is a Toyota that I bought new 12 years ago. It has 105,000 miles and I have spent about $200 on repairs other than routine maintenance plus a timing belt and new struts. Why would you skip it if if has a CVT? Is it due to performance or realiablity.?
  • kjm04kjm04 Member Posts: 1
    Hi onkloud9,

Can you tell me how the Bluetooth works exactly? The dealership here has no idea since they don't have a car w/ the tech pkg on the lot - very frustrating. Do you just have to have the phone on you, or does it have to be plugged into something? Is there a screen that tells you who or the phone number if it is not a programmed number is calling? Can you dial outbound by pressing a button and telling the car to dial "Home", etc.? Is it worth the cost?? Thanks so much for the help!
  • javan69javan69 Member Posts: 17
    "Oh yeah, if it's a CVT transmission, I might just skip it."
    -----------------
    I quite like my CVT. I've had to do some adjusting driving in San Francisco, but other than uphill from a stop, it's great. Extremely smooth driving.
    Yeah, the car is soooo beautiful... but what's she/he going to look like in the morning a year from now? As for those 730 test drive miles... well, that pretty much tells you all you need to know. My hunch is that more than a few of those "test drives" were probably suitable for "Cops... Need For Speed Special Edition".

Another poster mentioned that they have had a very good experience with the CVT tranny but my limited understanding is that the CVT is Audi's least reliable transmission. But I could be blowing smoke on that :P

Since you sound as if you intend to keep your car for a long time you might want to go topless with an offering from the Far East. The Honda 2000 and new Mazda MX5 (?) might fill the bill.

But I'm really pleased with my new A4 Quattro with the 2.0t engine. About 2 1/2 weeks and the car is an absolute dream.

Byron
  • bigdveedubgirlbigdveedubgirl Member Posts: 402
    Audi had problems with the CVT in the 2002 models and It was mostly a software issue that has been resolved. Audi historically has not had tranny problems. There is nothing wrong with purchasing a new vehicle with 750 test drive miles. Less break in period. The risks are minimal in comparison with the sweet deal this person is getting. Also if the car has been on the lot for that long inquire about them selling it as a CPO and get a 100k mile warranty and not sacrifice any of the maintinence services. It will increase the price but you will get a better trade in value down the road or selling price because it is transferrable. Much less expensive and more coverages than an extended warranty contract.......
    What is a CPO?
  • mcmuneymcmuney Member Posts: 64
    I just signed the docs on my new 2005.5 A4 3.2 Quattro. I pick up the car tomorrow and wanted to find out how to use the mp3 system using the memory card. Anyhow here have it and use it? What memory card do I need? Does it use the same type as the digital cameras?
    Reasonable counter point. Thanks for the additional info on the CVT. I was under the impression that it was a hardware problem. Glad to hear that's not the case. My only concern with those 750 test drive miles is whether that engine has been over-revved but that might not be an issue with the CVT (versus a manual). I also think that the CPO coverage is an excellent idea... assuming that the price is not excessive.

Byron
    Well I'm over 1,000 test miles so far and the only problem with my CVT is the trash that continually piles up on the front passenger seat. :-> I don't blame that on Audi.
    It's pretty tough to over-rev a CVT. I don't think I've managed to get it much over 4k, and that's with hard acceleration. I can cruise along at 70 doing a bit over 2k.
  • edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    I test drove an A4 2.0 and while the rumble was exciting, it was simply too much noise for me. I believe this was a 2005, although unfortunately, I am not sure. Rumors are the 2006 models have less noise. Anyone have any experience and impressions of noise with driving and comparing both model years?

BTW, my impressions are on the comparo thread for A4, TL, S60, Passat. I think the 2.0 is vastly superior to the 1.8.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    I have 5 years and 82,000 miles into my A6 and this is what was needed besides normal maintenance:

1.) driver's window mechanism repair
    2.) front passenger window mechanism repair
    3.) one air conditioning pipe fitting replacement
    4.) front brake rotors (4 times)
    5.) electric fan motor
    6.) turn signal electrical module
    7.) front driver's door lock mechanism
    8.) heater motor blower
    9.) climate control module
    10.) valve cover gaskets
    11.) cam chain cover gasket
    12.)battery
    13.) front tie rod replacement struts

On my 1998 TOYOTA camry with the same amount of miles, besides normal stuff like oil, tires, brakes, filters, wipers,only number 12---battery has been replaced.

I still like driving the Audi tons more than the TOY! Just drive it until 49,999 miles or get a durable extended service contract.
  • dbradley1dbradley1 Member Posts: 2
    I was trying to decide between the 2005.5 and 2006 A4 models. I went to 3 different Audi dealers, spoke with the Audi Certified salesman and I was rest assured that there was no difference with the engine/sound absorbortion. I drove both at each lot and I could not find a difference. I was hoping the 2006 A4 came standard with the LCD screen like the A6 does now. I bought the 2005.5 3.2 A4. Paid a bit below invoice and got a great rate for financing. My suggestion is take a 2005.5 if you can still find one.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    This is one of the best posts ever! I grow weary of the posts that discuss the problems without adequate expression relating to the "gets."

I want my Audis to be ever more reliable.

I do not want to sacrifice the joy of driving, however.

When some manufacturer actually does imitate perfectly Audi or BMW and the Lexus reliability and packages them into one brand, they will have a winner.

In the mean time, the Audi Advantage and the BMW program provide sufficient protection from breathtaking expenses for 50,000 miles. Extended or CPO certification takes you to 100,000.

Get the one that is a pleasure to drive not the one that although reliable is boring.

Thus far, only Infiniti, even comes close to being the best of both worlds. Even so, it was my second choice.
  • bigdveedubgirlbigdveedubgirl Member Posts: 402
    I can not answer my own question and I work for AUDI. :cry:

Why Why Why Has not Audi capitalized on the fact that we make an 2.0 FSI that can get up to 34 MPG with 200 hp? I know us Audi people are elitetists :blush: but 3.00 a gallon stabs even the A8 drivers in the gut. Audi makes the best car for the money hands down in the luxury lines and we have best fuel efficiency for the power and nobody knows other than Audi owners..........

Just had to vent.
    Believe me, the A4 is very quite while cruising at roughly mach 0.114.

Byron
    Is bluetooth standard on the 2005.5 A4s?
  • giovanni1giovanni1 Member Posts: 106
    I don't believe bluetooth is an option on the 2005.5 but it's available as on option on the 06.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Does the A4 2.0T really get that kind of mileage? Is that with manual?

I can see the A3 2.0T getting that kind of mileage since it should be lighter.

The mileage on the A4 3.2 is really poor, especially compared to a high-profile competitor like the 330i. Talk about high gas prices hitting you where you live.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    I don't think you can qualify 26-27 highway mpg as "poor" for an all wheel drive vehicle w/ a 255 hp V6 engine. The 2.0 Turbo gets 30-32 on the highway.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    Since you work for AUDI, could you please get me a discount on the $440.00 airbag control module part needed to turn the "AIRBAG LIGHT" off on the dash of my '00 A6? Or how about something off the $400 3 hours labor needed to install? Anything to help with this $840.00 problem would be much appreciated!
  • onkloud9onkloud9 Member Posts: 25
    kjm04,

I have a Treo 650. With any Bluetooth phone, you can turn the BT on and set it on "discovery mode." When I initially picked up my car, the dealer turned this on on my Treo, while sitting in the car, and the car picked up the signal. From there, any incoming calls would turn the music down automatically, make a ringing sound, and the number (or name) would appear on the information console in the middle of the instrument cluster. The phone doesnt have to be plugged into anything, just on your self. You can make an outgoing call by pressing the call button on the steering wheel and saying the name or number of the person. Unfortunately, the BT on the Treo 650 isn't "fully functional", which means I can dial out using Voice activated dialing by saying the number manually, but not by the name :( . I know for a fact that Motorola BT phones peer with the BT in the A4 perfectly and can use name based dialing. Its a great feature if you happen to talk on your cell phone often in the car, without using a BT headset. Worth $500 bucks? I'm constantly on my phone and I hate those headsets, so yea, it is worth it.
    Bluetooth is only available on the Technology Package w/ Bluetooth. It costs ~$500 more than the regular Tech Package.
  • mooselookmooselook Member Posts: 68
    Please let me hear from others regarding your predictions about new Audi dependability. I am a former 1999 A4 owner, currently leasing a 2003 Saab. Lease is due to expire in November and I am trying to decide on a replacement. Considering 2006 A4, 2006 BMW 325i, or Acura TL (or maybe even a TSX).
    In April 2005, Consumer Reports said they can again recommend the A4 because dependability has improved. My personal experience with the 1999, was not too bad, but certain items failed before they should have, IMHO. My current Saab 9-3 has been terrible, also consistent with Consumer Reports.
    I'm once again tempted by the quattro and the favorable lease rates.
    Please let me know what you think.
    ***Mooselook***
  • ipearsonipearson Member Posts: 1
    I have bought a new A4 and when the air con is on and the vehicle is moving fast, the center vents push out a lot of cold air regardless of the temp setting. :cry: . If I shut the vents the wind noise in the cabin becomes very noisy, like having the windows partly open.
    The dealership cannot fix it...
    Does anyone else have the problem?
  • gshamisgshamis Member Posts: 5
    Certified Pre Owned :-)
  • gshamisgshamis Member Posts: 5
    Edmunds lists it, but audiusa does not...
    I am guessing Edmunds is wrong...
    If it's true, my current 2004 A4 is probably my last Audi then :-(
    ...not to worry, the 3.2 6 speed A4 is available for ordering in the fall.
    I had a '99 1.8t A4 Avant. Drove the car for three years and had a few minor problems. The mirror heaters were set to activate whenever the temp got near freezing. Since I live in NE Ohio the mirror heaters were on for about three or four months a year and consequently I smoked three of 'em. My manually-equipped A4 also would occasionally "moan" when I engaged first gear. Didn't affect driving but it was loud and would cause people to give me a "look". Naturally the car only did this every so often and never when in for servicing. I even left it there over night (and got to drive a "C A M R Y"' (super big yuk).

Oh yeah, the control arms were replaced under a recall.

So come 2002 and I find myself in another 1.8t Avant. This car seemed to have better build quality and there really weren't any issues over the 3 1/2 years of ownership (but I do dump them before the four year coverage ceases :P ). Oops... forgot about one CEL incident. Took the car to the dealer and they simply reset the light and that was the end of it.

About a month ago I picked up my '06 2.0t Quattro sedan (manual, sports suspension and a bunch of other stuff). The fit 'n finish of this car is beyond reproach. Just got back from a sixty mile scoot at 70 to 78 mph with about 5% city driving mixed in. The trip computer indicated 33.6 mpg!

Before this purchase I considered the BMW 330i. Drove it. Loved it. Still want it... but, like I said, I live in NE Ohio and Quattro is pretty nice. The 330i is also more expensive and winter wheels are a "must have". The 325 is closer in price to the 2.0t A4 and certainly is a good alternative.

But the TL surprised me. I know that the TL generates very good numbers for handling & acceleration but I just didn't like the driving dynamics at all. In fact I was surprised by how little I cared for the car. However that's me and you may find it to be the perfect match for your tastes.

So in conclusion, you seem to dump your rides before the warranties run out. Until proven otherwise that's probably a good idea with Audi as even routine replacement items are likely to be big bucks. Audi seems to have been doing a much improved job with its initial quality and I doubt that a new A4 will leave you stranded in Death Valley. But any of those three vehicles should do nicely. So drive them all and go with the one that works for you.

Byron
  • cpurickcpurick Member Posts: 28
    "The 2.0 Turbo gets 30-32 on the highway."

I think if you put it on cruise and keep it in the 60's it'll get an honest 35 during extended highway driving. I get between 30-32mpg over a tankful, in mixed driving that includes a decent highway leg on my daily commute.
  • chimaychimay Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a 2006 A4 Avant S-Line with the Tech Package w/ BT. I have a Blackberry 7290 with Bluetooth v4.0.0.219 operating system but was told by the dealer and by Audi customer service that it would not work and was not on their list of compatible devices. But I tried it and it works perfectly! I never have to take my phone out of my belt clip. I use the voice commands for dialing by name or by number without any problems, but it took some tinkering with the options on my phone to get it to work.

At first, it would sync up but then freeze up both the screen on the car and the BB when I tried to dial a number.

Anyway, here's the configuration that I used to make it work.

Device Properties:
    Trusted = Yes
    Encryption = Enabled
    Services = Hands-Free unit

Options
    Discoverable = Yes
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    dino001 wrote:
    Just ridiculous, but hey if a 19-yr old college boy/girl or fresh foreign PhD starting his professor job thinks it is a good deal, why not at least try?

I had to smile when reading this one. I have met many spoiled 19-year olds who could afford a brand new Audi - but a fresh foreign PhD with a teaching job? You would have to have a really lucky combination of unusually high salary and low-cost location. Most colleges and Universities where starting salaries are significantly above 40-50K, you would also have to deal with $750K to $1M home prices, similarly high rents, and high costs for everything else. And I know families with twice that income who cannot afford a new Audi...
    That comment was about the Tallahassee Mazda dealer trying to charge an ADP on a last-year Mazda 626 (anybody who knows anything about cars would know those cars were going for deeeeep discounts), as an illustration for possible local market conditions. Some fellow was complaining that he/she could get only $1000 off the sticker on his A4 and I tried to comfort him/her saying not every market allows people buying for invoice price. Please read that post again in its entriety (esp. a sentence preceeding the quoted one) and the post it was a response to.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I thought I read somewhere that Bluetooth was a standard feature. I guess that's a sacrifice I have to live with for getting the 2005.5 model, but I got it at invoice, so it was well worth it.

I noticed that the Nav has a phone option, which is not installed, can anything be done with this???
    Bluetooth is a part of the technology package that has the xenon lights and memory seats.
    Actually, I got mine at invoice, too. There are two technology packages. Bluetooth is a supplement to the technology package, and is about $500 more than the standard tech. pkg.
    I'm a guy by the way and I'm not complaining :shades: I love my new car! I didn't order it (I should have I know) I just test drove a 6MT quattro demo and bought the only black S-line quattro 6MT left in the San Diego area. I'm only leasing it because thats what fits my situation; cars depreciate and to me are poor investments. I try to cycle through new cars every 2-4 years for less than owning it. The covered maintenance is great for leasing. Plus, I can write it off for taxes since I use it for work.

Anyways, I've already put 1000 miles on it in two weeks. Its a freakin blast to drive around the twisties on the roads around inland San Diego. I would recommend this car to anyone. It's my first Audi and defiantly not my last.
    I'm also in San Diego, and also driving an '06 black S-line quattro that I just leased. But mine's an Avant, and it's an AT. Which dealer did you go to? I couldn't find any deals in San Diego, so ended up having to go up to Santa Ana for mine. It was already on the lot, but was exactly what I was looking for - and at a great price! I'm envious that you're already at 1000 miles. I'm still breaking mine in, so no twisties yet until I can redline this thing!
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    dino001,

Sorry, the reason for my post was not to find a flaw in your statement, but to point out how during the past 6 years or so, car prices and everything else have increased far faster than salaries in many segments, including the academic world. Case in point: academic salaries basically have not increased in the past 6 years in the UC system.

During the same time, the base A4 price has gone from about $24K to $28K; gas, home, tuition, school books, and some food prices have more than doubled. You could say new cars have ESP, more air bags, more power, more space, and more fat. However, computers have all of that (especially the air bags) and are generally cheaper than 6 years ago. You could say, well, if the general inflation is actually three times larger than the government measures or Greenspan wanted you to believe (before he got scared and decided to keep raising rates), cars are faring quite well! But - the way I look at it, home, clothing and food (the essentials) have increased so much that transportation better do some thing to allow people of all strata to live a decent live. That includes school and college teachers, who used to flock to the as-safe-perceived Volvos and Audis, be able to part from their now 10 year old cars and be able to afford another, new one...
    I think Audi has discontinued offering 2 different tech packages. There's only 1 technology package now, and bluetooth is included.
    I know your pain - I'm exactly at the same point, man. Always wanted an A4 Avant quattro with 6-cyl. Every time I think I get closer to it, they get more and more expensive. My "dream" config would cost now just over $40K, totally unattainable for me. But anything less than that seems... "unworthy". What I mean, lower trims (2.0T) face much stiffer competition from other guys, where for similar or lower price you get either more "stuff" (TSX, S40/V50, 9-3), more umph and arguably somewhat better powertrain (Legacy GT), substantially better reliability record (Acura, Subaru). My thinking is either all the way or nothing. But all the way is too expensive for me, so... nothing :( A3 seems to be no help either, also for its pricing, unfortunately (esp. with options).

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Got my car at Miramar Audi. They had received the car that morning from the Port of San Diego. I think I was pretty lucky. Otherwise, I would of had to wait 2-3 months if I ordered it, or sooner if I had taken my chances with dealer inventory. But I got exactly what I wanted :) There was another in Arizona but I didn't want to drive there (that one was fully loaded with everything, 40k+ MSRP).

Just driving in the back roads of Rancho Santa Fe is self-gratifying with this car. When you get a chance, try to take a cruise down Couser Canyon Road. I'm pretty new to the San Diego area and I have to say that Couser is an awesome road course for the A4 with plenty of twists and turns.
    I know that road well. I do that one frequently with the SD Porsche club. Haven't tried it yet with the Audi. I'm sure it will be fun, but probably not as much as with the Boxster S :) There are a lot of great roads east of the 15 between Escondido and Temecula. Have fun and see you out there!
  • jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    Anyone know if the A4 has the ability to integrate an MP3 player. The new Lexus IS offers an outlet that you simply plug your MP3 player directly into. BMW 3 series has an available IPOD kit.

Does the A4 have the capability to support these functions?

Is the $400 "phatnoise" MP3 player that is shown as an accessory for the A3 on Audi's website available for the A4? My guess on this one is yes but I don't know.
    My 2005.5 A4 has 2 SD memory card inserts that I've been using to play MP3's. Also, (I haven't tried this yet), the manual says that the DVD player for the Nav can play MP3 CD's. I didn't notice any other connection options.
    There's a telephone function on the 2005.5 A4 with Nav, but when you click on it, it says not installed. Is this something that can be installed by Audi dealers? If yes, what will that include? Can bluetooth be installed aftermarket in this system? I'm not a big telephone user, but it would be nice to have.
This discussion has been closed.