Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Audi TT

player4player4 Member Posts: 362
edited March 2014 in Audi
2006 Audi TT

imageimage

TT LEADS TRIO OF NEW AUDIS

Audi is beefing up its performance car lineup and will put the muscular next-generation TT, Nuvolari grand tourer and Le Mans supercar into production over the next three years.

The introduction of the new coupés comes at a time when Audi chairman Martin Winterkorn is looking to raise the sporty profile of the brand. The first salvo, the second-generation TT, has been described as “encapsulating all the style and quality of the original, but with the dynamics and space to head its class”.

Codenamed the AU353, the new TT will be unveiled at the next year’s Frankfurt Motor Show and sources say that it will become available in right-hand drive markets by mid 2006.

Lovers of the Freeman Thomas-penned lines of today’s car will be relieved to know that Audi design boss Walter de’Silva will not change the car’s design much and there will be only mild changes to the detailing and extra interior room.

Distinguishing the new TT from the current model car will be a fresh front end dominated by Audi’s new shield grille as seen on the recently-unveiled A6 range. According to Autocar, the rear will probably be fitted with a retractable spoiler.

The second-generation model will use the Volkswagen Group’s PQ35 platform (used by the latest Golf V and Audi A3). As a result, the next TT will benefit from a series of chassis upgrades that should make it sharper to drive. Its torsion beam rear suspension will be replaced by a more contemporary multi-link arrangement. Other changes include a slightly longer wheelbase and wider tracks, an electro-mechanical steering set-up and uprated brakes.

The new model will offer a choice of front-wheel drive or quattro four-wheel drive. Power will come from new transversely mounted in-line four-cylinder and narrow-angle V6 engines, including the 112 kW naturally-aspirated and 149 kW turbocharged versions of Audi’s two-litre unit and a reworked version of the 190 kW 3,2-litre V6, featuring FSI direct injection technology.

Audi is also working on a TT RS, fitted with a twin-turbocharged version of the upgraded 3,2-litre V6. Developing up to 260 kW, the car is tipped to see the light of day in 2007. Sources say that the new TT model should reach 100 km/h from standstill in less than 5,5 seconds and reach a limited top speed of 250 km/h.

Alongside a standard six-speed manual gearbox, Audi will offer its new six-speed DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) as an option.

Meanwhile, the spectacular mid-engined Le Mans (Codename AU714), revealed in concept form at last year’s Frankfurt Motor Show, is scheduled to start production at Audi’s Neckarsulm factory in Germany in late 2006. Right-hand drive markets should see the introduction of the Le Mans by mid 2007.

The last of Audi’s new two-door models to arrive will be a production version of the Nuvolari concept car first shown at last year’s Geneva Motor Show. Targeted directly at the recently introduced BMW 6 Series and Mercedes CLK, Audi’s new four-seater coupé is planned for sale in early 2007. A soft-top convertible is also planned for the end of 2007.

Comments

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Ya know (and I hope Andys120 will chime in here), this TT is the first application of the waterfall grille that seems appropriate to me.

I'm still not a fan, but it seems far less incongruous on a sportscar than it does on the sedans and wagons.

It all sounds good to me. Hopefully the new platform will allow it to shed a few pounds while picking up increased rigidity. And I hope they keep the Papaya (though I doubt it)!
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    actually looks OK on the TT pictures up there.
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Looks pretty good. I've always at least wanted to like the current TT, but couldn't for some reason. Only with the 3.2 V6/DSG combo has the car come to mind again.

M
  • quattroquattro Member Posts: 110
    What's with Audi lately. That front grill is a major disaster for Audi. As a current owner of a 98'A4 and 03'Allroad I have to say I'm totally disappointed with Audi's new design direction. Audi used to be the benchmark of understated elegant design but the new design has completely ruined that. Seems like Audi is following the footstep of BMW in having a complete meltdown in the design department. Hey, Audi if you are listening, you are going to have to find some new customers as none of your ugly new designs will be sitting on my driveway.
  • ywilson1ywilson1 Member Posts: 7
    I must say from what I have seen I like it. Audi's new waterfall grill is the new trademark for all new Audi's. If I were in the market then I think I would buy one. But, since I already have a TTQR225 2001, My next move will be a Boxter S.
  • boomn29boomn29 Member Posts: 189
    Looks bulky, and crappy. Something close to Nissan's product-wide big grill that I also hate.
  • boomn29boomn29 Member Posts: 189
    280hp bi-turbo is the rumored engine.
  • ghostbuster23ghostbuster23 Member Posts: 43
    I think the new Audi grille is really crass. It makes me think Mopar, as in "Hey, put a big damn grille on that big huge car so the sucker driving it feels like a bigger man."
  • ghostbuster23ghostbuster23 Member Posts: 43
    But I like the rear.
  • theyaktheyak Member Posts: 2
    I just received an email back from Audi and they said that the 2006 TT will be available in late Summer or early Fall 2005, not in 2006. Can someone also confirm this.

Theyak
  • vietromeovietromeo Member Posts: 1
    Do you guys think the pricing of the 2006 Audi TT is going to be about the same as the 05 TT or do you think it will differ?
  • senoraquesosenoraqueso Member Posts: 2
    I have been wanting a TT since they first came out. We had to finish child support payments before we could afford the payment on our own "TT" child. We are ready to go (after we sell the SUV) with our purchase. I want to get an '05 TT before they are all gone because I won't have anything to do with this new version that looks like something out of Tron. Sorry Audi, you have lost your minds on this redesign. The beauty of the first edition is the elegant fluid lines and understated power. You may lose a potential customer over this redesign.
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    Actually, the TT isn't using the 3.2 litre engine in the TT anymore, as far as I know. They're using a new VW/Audi architecture V6, first sampled in the upcoming Passat:

3.6 litre V6, 280 horsepower, ??? lb ft of torque. It will make the TT easily the fastest car in its class, and the ASF will greatly help the slightly sluggish performance of today's TT. I'm not knocking Audi, though- we have two Audis. The TTS will probably have a reworked version of the 3.6 engine, and they may use that with twin-turbos or possibly an ultra-compact V8 in the TTRS.
    This is an artist's impression- seeing Audi's recent redesigns (A4, A6, A8, Q7), they will be more conservative than this with the TT. He wouldn't tamper with the gorgeous design that much. And, if you want a 2005, you better get one like tomorrow. Hello, it's 2005 right now! Manufacturers already have mostly 2006 cars! The TT will run out fast, and the lots aren't exactly overflowing with them. But, before you do that, I'd check with Audi on information for the new TT. If you see the real version in a teaser, disguise, or real picture, you'll probably really like it. It's supposed to be one of the most desirable new Audis, and will have way better performance than today's sluggish [for its class] one.

Cars: 2005 Audi S4 Cabriolet, 2004 Lexus RX330, 2003 Honda Civic EX, 1998 Audi A4 1.8T.
    Geez, you're one person. Audi has been having record sales lately (in my Chicago area), and you should speak for yourself. Audi is going right, BMW is going left. Audi was voted Best German Luxury Manufacturer for 2005, the A6 is the best-selling new car in Germany, the A8 is literally always voted as the best luxury sedan in its class in an 'All-Stars' type award, and the A6 was also voted World Car of the Year by 50 automotive journalists, from over a hundred new cars. Audi is going the right way, and BMW is going the wrong way, this time. Audi's styling is far from BMWs, I mean look at the conservative A6 or A8 compared to the over styled 5 or 7 Series. Yes, the new Seven is over styled, too. They are not having a 'meltdown', they are having a revelation. I thought, when I had my A6 2.7T a few months ago, that it was really aging fast. It looked incredibly old and bland compared to the new A6. I've seen the new Audis and the old ones, and was surprised at how old the old ones really looked. The A6 looked modern in 1997, but its time has passed. Now the A6 is one of the best cars in its class (The Infiniti M, Mercedes E, and Jaguar S-Type are probably equal), and you definitely couldn't say that about the old A6. I don't have one of the 'new' style Audis (2005 S4 Cabriolet- simply stunning), but I admire their designs. Staying in the same wavelength would really have ruined Audi. They'll have to find two new Audis, and I'm pretty sure I speak for many current Audi owners when I say that I am impressed with Audi's recent leadership, trendiness (AWD- Even BMW let up), and design. That's just you, not me.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Are there any pics of the new TT roadster? Will it be a hard top convertible like the SLK's? I would love a convertible, but love the security of the hard top. I've driven the SLK350 and have been impressed with it (course I'd love the SLK55 :)) for a V6. Plenty sporty enough for me. I've driven the Z4 and I can't say as I really want a Porsche. After seeing the pics of the new TT coupe, I have to say I'm really interested to see what the roadster will bring.

-Paul
    Try www.germancarfans.com, Paul. According to them, the intro is March '06 in Geneva. I'd like to see where they're going with this one as well. For a car that rewrote styling idioms across the globe, it will be interesting to see if the edge can be regained.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    that the lines of the roadster are close to the coupe and that the top is a hard top. Quieter, more structurally rigid, and better security.

With the 3.2V6, I could imagine this would be a fun car to toss around. The SLK sure is!

-Paul
    I think to get an idea of what it'll feel like to drive, the opportunity will come in January when the A3 3.2Q arrives. Unless I'm much mistaken, we're talking same drivetrain, remarkably similar suspension set-up and close personality kinship. Personally, I'm waiting to try that one, being a five-door aficianado, before I decide on that or an S4 Avant. Unfortunately, a TT doesn't afford me enough seats or doors!
  • jackinokjackinok Member Posts: 4
    I was expecting a redesign coming. My wife has been wanting a TT for sometime, and we are going to get one in the next few months. I sure would like to see the new 06's on the lots by october of this year......now I'm not sure what we are going to do!
  • aeh1aeh1 Member Posts: 1
    I just cannot accept those sharp lines on the sides. Reminds me of the new BMWs, which are darn hard on the eyes. :(
    I jumped on the Audi configurator for fun and found this little message after typing in my zip:

The 2006 Audi TT models do not meet California emission standards and cannot be sold in California or in those states that have adopted California emission standards, i.e., New York, Massachusetts, Vermont or Maine. TT models from model year 2005 and earlier may be available in these states through our Certified pre-owned program. Contact your dealer for more information.

Now, I have think that with CA being the single largest car market in the US and a serious TT haven in the greater urban areas, Audi is making a fairly large mistake here. Can't be that difficult of costly to add CA smog to any car these days...
  • jester17jester17 Member Posts: 1
    First off to wale bate1, you are correct. They lost one sale here because of emmisions.
    But what the heck are they thinking. The attraction to the TT was because of it's curvature and smooth lines. Are we now conforming to look like a Crossfire or some other sub standard comparison?
    The new 2007 TT is a gross bastardisation of what was a great looking driving machine. :confuse:
  • gugimanngugimann Member Posts: 11
    i think that the TT looks better than before, now it actually looks like its an audi, before it seemed like an outcast
  • audiluaudilu Member Posts: 1
    Has any one heard about the pricing for the new TT? I am definetly interested in this car. I went to the New York Auto show this weekend and fell in love with it. I'm anxious to learn and hear more about it.

I currently lease an '04 A4 and love it, however I am looking for a new hot model for the future. Thanks!
  • stephendstephend Member Posts: 19
    I saw the 07 tt at the New York Auto show and I can't believe that more people are not excited about this car and that there are not more messages on this forum. I just hope we don't have to wait until next spring before it goes on the market. :shades:
  • sam52054sam52054 Member Posts: 1
    Looks like the prodigy of a Cayman and a Crossfire. If they keep the V6 at 40K, where the base Cayman should have been priced, then they'll sell quite a few. Think I'll go with the 335i coupe now (not as ugly as the sedan, with 0-60 in 5.2) I need a replacement for my Accord coupe (which could have been amazing if Honda would only get it through their heads that a sports car should be RWD! (or AWD though it slows them down a bit).
  • musermuser Member Posts: 11
    You might consider test driving the Audi TT, the new Volvo C30, & the upcoming VW Scirocco before making your final choice. The sports coupé & hatchback market is FINALLY coming back to life in North America. With the infatuation with the utility vehicle past, automakers are devoting more development to vastly improved vehicle configurations - hatchbacks and coupés with luggage space. Too bad BMW and Porsche have lost all financial sensibility. I'd buy a Cayman today if the price was below $35k.

By the way, when did you get the impression that the Accord was a sports car? The only sports car that Honda makes is the S2000, and it is indeed rwd. Don't blame Honda if you don't like the performance of your large, family-oriented coupé.

The additional weight and friction of all-wheel drive doesn't necessarily slow the car -- it depends on the traction available. On dry roads, obviously AWD could be outshined by a more efficient 2wd. On slippery or rough roads, however, AWD can offer a tremendous speed and stability advantage.
  • musermuser Member Posts: 11
    The grille of the Audi is nothing that can't be easily fixed -- and probably will be before production starts.

Personally (oversized grille aside) i feel these pictures show the most handsome vehicle Audi -- or BMW, Mercedes, or any american or asian manufacturer -- has offered in quite some time!

Reserve your styling criticism until you see the vehicle in person. Artist renderings and pre-production prototype pictures seldom do the vehicle justice.
  • fguillermofguillermo Member Posts: 1
    Back in Nov 2005 Jester17 wrote that the '07 TT didn't meet Calif. emission standards. Any word if it can meet them now or in 2007 ?? Would like to see one up close & personal - from the pics its lines are clean & aerodynamic. Now if they could downsize the grill a bit . . .
  • ricardoheadricardohead Member Posts: 48
    22 Roadster pics from a german online mag. I don't see a link to any above.
This discussion has been closed.