Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Allion Vs. Prius

usbseawolf2000usbseawolf2000 Member Posts: 759
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Toyota Allion and Prius shares the same platform. They are built in the same factory assembly line as well. Allion comes in three different Sedan models but we will only compare to the top of the line 2.0L CVT Front Wheel Drive model. I will provide specification of both vehicles and compare power, fuel efficiency, weight and other aspects.

TOYOTA ALLION 2.0L CVT Sedan

Engine: 4 Cylinder 2.0L Otto Cycle VVT-i
Max HP: 152 HP @ 6,000 RPM
Max Torque: 147 lbs-ft @ 4,000 RPM
Transmission: Mechanical CVT
Curb Weight: 2,734 lbs
0-62 mph: 10.5
Fuel Economy: 24MPG (City? Why so low?)

TOYOTA PRIUS

Engine: 4 Cylinder 1.5L Atkinson Cycle VVT-i
Max HP: 76 HP
Max Torque: 82 lbs-ft
Transmission: Planetary E-CVT
Curb Weight: 2,890 lbs
0-60 mph: 9.7(About 10 sec)
Fuel Economy: 51MPG (City), 55MPG (combined)

Prius is a hybrid with two electric motors/generators but I will not list those spec here.

Dennis

Comments

• Options
    It is clear that Hybrid Synergy Drive is twice power efficient(76hp vs 152hp) and more than twice fuel efficient (24mpg vs 55mpg). More analysis/info will come later.

Dennis

P.S: I just realized a mistake. 51mpg is NOT city, but rather highway. Too late to edit. :(
  • Options
    The source for Allion info. Use Babelfish to translate from Russian to English.

http://auto.bigmir.net/view.php?id=21565

Dennis
  • Options
    For those who claims that Echo accelerates faster than Prius with 1.5L engine and ignoring the fact that Echo is smaller and weight lighter, here is a much better comparison.

First, Prius weights about 150 lbs more than Allion. Despite the extra weight, Prius acceleration in 0-62 mpg test is about the same(10.5 sec) as Allion. Here is another confirming test results from Toyota.

Remember that Allion 2.0L is only offered with mechanical CVT. Look at the Acceleration when overtaking results. Allion's mechanical CVT does not have downshift delay like traditional automatic/manual transmission but Prius' HSD with Planetary E-CVT proves to be superior. I believe the credit has to go to more thrust delivered by the combination of Internal Combustion Engine and 50kW electric motor.

I am not putting down Allion's mechanical CVT. It does a beautiful job at 30-50mph(50-80km/h) acceleration in 5 seconds. Camry 2.4L with 4-speed automatic transmission took 6 seconds, take a look below.

image.

To sum it up, Prius performs like a traditional gas-only car(Allion) with 2.0L engine and mechanical CVT and in some case, outperforms 2.4L automatic transmission cars. It is clearly not an anemic car!

Dennis
  • Options
    xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Usbseawolf2000:

___The Allion or whatever it is called is lighter then the Camry 4 by some relative margin but performs at an even lower level of performance with even lower fuel economy? The Allion wouldn’t survive 6 weeks in the US so why bring it up?

___As for the Prius being anemic, it is. It is the slowest to 30 of anything in the Toyota lineup here in the states and it is the slowest to 60 in the Toyota lineup here in the states. This isn’t a claim, it is fact.

___As for the Echo’s 8.5 seconds to 60 mph vs. 10.6 seconds average (9.8 - 11.43) to 60 mph of the Prius II, do the math. 3,090 #’s w/ 200 # driver in 10.6 seconds compared to 2,280 #’s with the same in 8.5 … The Prius II has 20.1% less performance in comparison to the lowly Toyota Echo and weighs just 26.1% more. Kind of a waste of weight and expense (at least $10K worth) for the Hybrid drivetrain if you ask me? Did you need the links showing the Prius II averages ~ 10.6 seconds to 60 mph and the Echo w/ stick does the same in 8.5 seconds or would you simply like to dream something up?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    That is a good looking car. As far as the Prius goes Toyota must be doing something right. There is an average of 6 to 8 months waiting period for any prospective buyers. I don't think the HCH has any such waiting period. Toyota does have some really nice cars that are not available for the U.S. market.
This discussion has been closed.