Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Can the Tundra or F-150 tow 7000 lbs. as well as my 1984 (454 hp) Chevy Suburban?

froggykmfroggykm Member Posts: 1
I have a 1969 Kencraft 23 foot trailer that I tow
and am looking for a truck that can tow it as well
as my suburban has. I like the idea of 4 doors
--especially the F-150 Super Crew but don't know if
the 5.4 L 260 hp or the Tundra can do the job.
Has anyone has any experience towing 7000 lbs. or
more?
Tagged:

Comments

• rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    If you are towing that much weight on a fairly routine basis I would look for a diesel 3/4 ton. 7000 bls is close to the maximum of both the Tundra and F-150. You'll get better torque for towing with a diesel and better handling with the 3/4 ton.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    a Toy like the Tundra even be considered here?

Anyway...like he said..get a 3/4 or 1 ton. A diesel is not needed. The chevy 6.0 will tow 11K...so it will be fine for the job.

Good Luck

- Tim
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Any 3/4 ton would suffice. Diesel would be overkill unless you planned on towing everyday. Even if you could do it with a half-ton--don't. You will only reduce the life of the truck with too much stress on the puppy.
    Four doors are available with the F-250 and they can run as low as 22-25 grand if you get it without too much options. The Dodge and Chevy are fine but I don't know if they offer four exterior doors on their 3/4 tons.
    does Finally....I don't know about Dodge?

- Tim
    about it...My Buddy has a 4 door 2500 Dodge...so i guess they do!
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    If your hauling that weight, often get a diesel. Ask people you know with diesels. Anything else will suck down gas quick pulling a 7000 trailer.
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    I agree with MOST here...get a 3/4 ton. I'd personally pass on the Dodge or Chevy. Sorry Timmy...just can't get over MY horrible experience with GM.
    The Tindra isn't up to the job....that's for sure.
    hehehe
    - Tim
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    I agree(sort of). But, I'd sell the boat before I would buy a Chevy to tow it!
  • trucksrmetrucksrme Member Posts: 381
    Them little trucks aint got that type of haul in em. Them tundras be made too haul them grocerys and such, not for workin em hard now. Good luck on this one now!
    Little problem with the topic's title.....454...HP??!? er...you mean cubic inches..right?
    Chevys have 1 HP per Cubic Inch standard.

I know it's hard to believe being a Ford Fan..

LOL

- Tim
    It is hard Tim; Ford has 2hp per cubic inch.....;)
    I meant 3 HP per cubic inch!!

LOL

- Tim

....What does Toiletta have??....1HP per 100 Cubic inch??
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    froggykm,
    I'm assuming that you've had both the sub and trailer for some time and are a confirmed camper. The advice of the 3/4 ton and diesel is good advice. I'm partial to Fords and diesels so I'm also biased. A good diesel and a 3.73 rear end should do the trick. Ford makes a crew cab in the F-250 super duty and the diesel is a delight. In typical LA traffic I get high 16 to low 17 and on the road I've gotten over 19. (All unladen)

Enjoy,
    Rich
  • kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    Even thinking of towing 7,000 pounds with a half-ton truck is really pushing it. I love my F-150 4X4 and it is a really strong machine, but I would never think of towing that much except on an occasional basis. My old F-250 4X4 with 460 cid would handle the load quite well and maybe deliver 8 or 9 mpg in the process. You just have to consider the compromises - towing that much weight on a regular basis requires a big truck, big engine and more expense. Just don't expect the half-ton trucks to hold up to that kind of punishment.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.