Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

4-Wheel Drive vs. 2-Wheel Drive Trucks

Comments

• bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    Try to get the dealership to include the price of your tax and title in the cost of the lease. That way it "should" all be tax-deductible. If you can't get the dealership to do that, that extra money comes right out of your pocket. At least that's how it works in these parts.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Explain how it's done in your parts. Every lease I've seen you pay tax on the monthly payment and not on the vehicle unless you purchase it at the end of the lease. Your registration is due every year here so I could see them incorporating the first year in to your payment but it's gonna' raise your payment a few bucks. Is it different where you are?
    Here you have to pay for your tag each year, which is not too bad, but the killer is the tax. You have to pay that once when you get the car. If you can get the dealer to include all of that in your payment, yes, it will raise your monthly payment, but your lease payment is a 100% deduction, no questions asked, whereas if you pay the the tax and tag separately they are not allowed as deductions. I'm no accountant, but that's how my CPA explained it to me. Whatever. I just sign the thing. I have yet to lease a vehicle. I just haven't decided to take that route. As you may know, there are distinct advantages and disadvantages to leasing.
    Please check on that. Being that a lease is not "buying" a car I don't believe you pay sales tax on the purchase price; only on the monthly payment. I'm curious if it's different where you live. In California and Nevada it's the way I mentioned. Be careful on that write off thing also. It depends on how you use the vehicle. If you are able to write off a leased vehicle I'm sure you could depreciate a bought vehicle. Again it depends on the usage.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    there is a resale tax placed on the vehicle. The vehicle is purchased by the leasing company and the dealer charges them a resale tax usually about 0.5%. The leased vehicle is not 100% deductible as you will have to deduct the portion of the vehicle that you use for personal. e.g. running to the store to buy groceries. the distinct advantage to leasing is the write off is exactly your lease payments-your personal usage. Rather that using the 5 year depreciation method now in practice on a purchase. Oh and it doesn't matter where in the country you live. Cause this is Federal tax we are talking about and the IRS rules the same whether in Alaska or Florida.

BTW, if you take a 100% deduction on your lease, it tells the IRS that you absolutely, do not use your vehicle for personal use. What that means is that everyone knows, sometime or another, a vehicle will be used for personal use except maybe a bulldozer. What this does is it raises a flag when processing your tax and is an invitation for a visit by the taxman.
    Your monthly payment is taxed by the state that you live in as a regular purchase. In other words, take your lease payment and add your local tax percentage and you have your final payment amount. So in effect, on the invoice from the dealer, you pay a resale tax and on your monthly, you pay the state tax. Of course those in Nevada get off a little cheaper with no state tax...
    Well, since I've never actually leased a vehicle, I don't know for sure, other than what my accountant told me. Of course, you can depreciate a new vehicle, or you can count miles on a vehicle as well. Usually depreciation is better for newer more-expensive vehicles and counting miles is better for older less-expensive vehicles. I guess the best thing, tax-wise, about a lease is you just have to show your lease, nothing else, where as with mileage, it's a little bit more of a hassle to show all your records.
    There is sales tax in Nevada. It was recently raised to 7 1/4%. You're thinking of there is no State Income tax which is cool.

Snag, you're right about "proving" mileage but it would only come in to affect during an audit. Sort of the same with "proving" your lease usage ie; how much business vs. how much personal. A good accountant should know how far to go without raising flags!!!!
    on the personal thing. Either way to derive the percentage, you will have to keep a log. or you could make one up at the time you are notified that you are about to be audited ;)

mod
    yep, you are correct on the Nevada sales tax. What state was it...Alaska with no sales tax?
    I always try to have everything I might need in case of an audit. If I don't have my paperwork, I don't claim it.
    purchase/depreciation method, or the lease/write off method, you will need a basis for the percentage of write off for the vehicle (mileage log). No log, no record of business use mileage, hard to prove percentage at time of audit. Unless it is a dedicated business use vehicle...e.g. dump truck. Oh what a lousy system to deduct a vehicle. You can thank the IRS for that one.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    We Delawareans have no sales tax. One of the few attributes to living in Delaware. ;)

Roc
    Is that in Jersey? ;)
    obyone,
    LOL!! I still remember when I was in basic training and a guy from Texas never heard of DE. When I told him it was south of Philadelphia, he thought I was pulling his leg. Hell, I grew up in NC but I guess the schools aren't that good in Texas...;)
    that I had purchased some PIAA lights for my truck on ebay. seller emails and states shipping is $15.00, I email back stating that his auction states within US is $ 3.20. He says I'm correct but my location is not a part of the US so shipping is $15. I email back telling him last time I checked, Hawaii was considered the 50th state and if anything had happened that I didn't know about to change that to please let me know. Well he emails back stating that he knew something was wrong with charging someone from Hawaii $15, but he wasn't sure what it was, and that now he knows... Go figure...
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    as it took to get there from Michigan it sure didn't seem like it was in the US!

LOL

- Tim
    Is that near Jersey? I know there is a Lake Michigan and of course the Wolverines, hmmm...yes, now I remember. Detroit Tigers are in Michigan...or are they? ;)

Worst flight ever was from Hawaii-Dallas-Chicago-Miami...just about 12 hours...ugh!!

What was the topic? oh yeah 2wd vs. 4wd. silverado is 2wd; Denali is 4wd w/lsd. I prefer driving the truck...tried 4 low in Denali...can't go very fast...tried 4 hi..could go faster, but not fast enough...got it back into 2wd and it seems to work the best...is this what this topic is all about? ;)
  • hoppy5hoppy5 Member Posts: 11
    We need advice on purchasing our first pickup. We will be towing a lightweight pop-up camper weighing max. 2,000 lbs. Otherwise the truck will be used for hauling odds and ends: occasional furniture, mulch, firewood etc. We would like a truck that is decent on gas mileage. We need an extended cab to carry our kids. Any advice? 1500 2wd v6 or v8? I dont think we need 4 wd. Any problems with the 2wd v6?? What about gas mileage on the v6 versus the v8??
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    A V8 if you want your first pickup to be your last pickup. Not much difference on mileage in full size class.

A compact truck, like S10 or Ranger is better on gas of course...6 cylinder fine.
    Why do you think a V8 will be our last pickup? Does it have a better history than the V6? We are looking at a 98 Chevy Cheyenne V6 2 wheel drive extended cab. Anyone know anything about this truck? We know we will be buying a full-size truck, since our kids cannot fit into an S10. Gas mileage is a concern with the V8. Is there really not much dif. between the two??? We got stuck with a lemon Ford Windstar and want to trade it for something RELIABLE.
    Why do you think a V8 will be our last pickup? Does it have a better history than the V6? We are looking at a 98 Chevy Cheyenne V6 2 wheel drive extended cab. Anyone know anything about this truck? We know we will be buying a full-size truck, since our kids cannot fit into an S10. Gas mileage is a concern with the V8. Is there really not much dif. between the two??? We got stuck with a lemon Ford Windstar and want to trade it for something RELIABLE.
    The difference between a 4.3 and a 4.8 or 5.3 will be minimal in MPG..but very noticeable in power. A vacation is to relax and not worry..right?

Why worry if you have too less of an engine?

You can't buy too much engine....but you can buy too little...even for a 2000lb load.

good Luck

- Tim
    If you want this to be the last truck that you buy in a long time say 5-7 years, better to go with the V8. Especially with the weight of the full size extended cab. The V6 may be alright when new, but will age faster due to the strain than the V8. Best estimate with the 2000# camper may be about 1-2 mpg difference since the V6 has to work harder to pull the weight. My $.02
    Tim,

Wouldn't a 5.4 be better?

;)
    A V-6 in a full size is for Commuter only in my opinion..

Roc,

Shut up you!...LOL

He's looking at a Chevy!...you know....that fine truck you own!

www.teleweb.net/mgdvhman/Elmer1.wav

- Tim
    What's up Doc??

LOL
    Tim,obyone, Have you ever owned a V6 truck? I am hearing so many different comments when I go through different topics. We want a truck we will be keeping for awhile... and to save a little cash on purchase price!!!! I know the V6 will use more gas when towing, since it will have to work harder. But what about everyday driving?? What is the gas mileage then? It will mainly be used as a commuter truck. We only camp around 5 times a year. Dad is recommending a V-6 for our use. We want to see what some real V-6 owners think. Is this a good idea. It will be a change for us, since we own 4 cyl. cars right now.
    Waiting for some more feedback!! Otherwise, I'll keep reading the posts.
    nope...but have driven them. The 4.3 is a good engine...but belongs in an S-10. perhaps you have different driving habits than me and it would do for you. Not too many V-6 Full sizes remain strong that I have seen. A 96 wouldn't have a 5.3...but I believe had a 4.8?...(help me out here guys). I always had the theory of 350 or bigger in a full size truck...but that's me.

For a commuter The V-6 would be OK....but I seriously feel even a 2000 LB load plus people may feel like you are underpowered in some situations....

How farr you go camping?..and how's the terrain?..hills?....will you ever go anywhere else possibly?...How long will you keep this truck?

- Tim
    A good friend of mine has a 4.3L V-6 with a 5 sp. We recently took a long trip. He averaged barely over 20 mpg. Not even 21. It was like 20.5 or so. I can get almost 20 in my truck driving the same as we did on the trip. '98 Ford F-150 5.4L auto with 3.55's. In a full size truck, the 6 cylinders have to work kinda hard all the time. I've just never seen a distinct mpg advantage with a V-6. Maybe if you only drive 55 mph. Then the V-6 doesn't have to push as much wind, I don't know. To some people even 1 mpg seems to be a big difference. To me, if I was soooo concerned with mileage, I'd buy a Honda hybrid!!!! The V-8 is the way to go. My 2.
  • frnkdsgnfrnkdsgn Member Posts: 2
    I currently own a '87 dodge dakota 4x4 with a 3.9L V6 and would I buy another V6. I also pull a fold down camper and my truck does not have near enough horsepower to do what I would like. The "hills" of NC are murder on my trucks performance, poor acceleration and awful at maintaining speed. Don't get my wrong, I love my truck, but a V6 is not my top choice. I'm concidering a Ram 2500 4x4 diesel as my next long term investment.
  • frnkdsgnfrnkdsgn Member Posts: 2
    Sorry,
    I would not buy another V6
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    The V6 gets you there. But ask anyone who's spent much time driving one....always opt for the V8 next go-around.
    Thanks everyone! You have helped alot! We had heard that the V6 had to work harder, but I thought it was only when pulling a load. Didn't realize it was most of the time. So... most used V-6's we find will probably be "overworked". Now, the question is Chevy or Ford?? I know there are diehard fans of both!!! Ha!
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    Bigsnag,
    thats pretty darn good mileage for the 5.4. Curious, what rear axle do you have, and what region do you live in? I'm assuming you mean straight highway.

I knock out 16+ on straight highway fill ups, but normally, when i start stopping and going it usually drags me down to 14.5.

I think most v-6s are this way. They knock out great on straight highway cruising, but how often is that? I drove an '88 v6, (4.3). great tough motor, surprising torque. but for my rural driving, some town, rarely got over 17. a few long trips, i was getting 19-20.

I think for average driving, you'll only get about 1, maybe 2 mpg better than v8.

May be worth it, considering purchase cost.
    that's a debate that could take so long...we will all be dead when you get the truck!....as I am sure this debate will be going even after we are dead for real..

Both are very good. It comes down to what you like for looks and a layout of the interior. Go sit in both and see how you like them. I went with Chevy...but that's up to you.

Now Dodge is not even a consideration for you right?....smart man...they only have one combo worth beans for towing....and it's the Cummins Diesel....

- Tim
    I have heard of other people getting similar mileage, with similar set-ups. I have 3.55's. Now keep in mind my truck is a 2wd regular cab, but so is my friend's. The trip we took was across the middle US. Very flat and straight. I have taken almost identical trips with my truck (that's when it get's 19 mph). Set the cruise at 70-80 depending on the speed limit and roll. Only stop for gas. That's how we did his '95 4.3 and it could only manage 20.? I'm not sure what his gearing is, but it is not as low as mine, for sure. My point is, get the V-8.
    Congratulations!! on your decision to buy a Chevy V8....
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Did you read post #122? He wanted something RELIABLE. I would suggest a Tundra extended cab V8.
    We are partial to the Chevy truck. Our problems with the Windstar have scared us away from Ford. They may be great trucks, but we will probably go for a Chevy. Too leery to take a second chance!!
    According to Consumer Reports the predicted reliability for the Chevy Silverado is -90%. Off their charts! The 4WD is predicted to be even worse. The F150 is a much more reliable truck. By buying a Chevy you may be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

Why not consider a Toyota Tundra?
    don't pay attention to the trash of Bamat...he can't convince anyone else is other topics...so he has come here.
    Chevrolet are the longest lasting trucks on the road today. Which do you see more of?...T100's (also known as Mid-size Tundra) or Chevy/Ford Full sizes?..

I rest my case...

Chevy V-8 it is!

Good choice

- Tim
    but if you want something that will out-run, out-tow, and out-handle a Chevy, then get the Ford. ;)
    Hey..I just seen a Tundra!!...hear below where..

www.teleweb.net/mgdvhman/Toy.wav

- Tim
    My 5.4 is sucking gas at 12mpg. Who cares? Gas is STILL CHEAP.
    I figured you would select the Chevy...highest mpg in it's class for the V8's. Previous experience with Fords...we've all had them...and I don't doubt that Toyota makes a good truck...just with a small V8 with lousy gas mileage...especially with gas prices today...Good luck!!

BTW, bama you should listen to your mother...if you don't have anything good to say....

Dean
    Chevy zealots with their heads in the sand.

Read this website: http://drive.to/agmlemon

It will scare you to death. Read 2000 Chevy Silverado Vibration - II (Topic #1638)
    Post # 498

Lousy gas mileage? The last time I checked the Tundra had 1mpg less than the Silverado. I also read that many Silverado owners are running premium to avoid pinging. Seems like running regular in a Tundra would save you money.
    Where have you read that Silverado owners are running premium gas? I've read that some have changed plugs...but that is by personal preference.

1 mpg less...and where is this info from?

Post 498- Owns a lemon and has a lemon for a dealer. All trucks manufactured after 1/00 have been corrected for the vibes....that means a truck bought today will NOT share the problems of the first model year.

As posted earlier....bama...you should listen to your mother...if you can't say anything nice........ ;)
    I run 87 in my 6.0...no problems...

any more lame excuses Batman?...(better get out the books)

- Tim
    You run 87 in your truck? Wow! Amazing! I guess this means that 1/2 ton Silverados don't have a problem with ping.

The only lame thing here is your logic. Who are you trying to fool?
    Listen to your mother "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".

This isn't a Chevy topic. Hoppy said he wanted a reliable truck. I was merely pointing out that there are better choices than the Chevy if that is important to him.

I know that you Chev owners eschew Consumer Reports - that is probably why you own Chevies. I personally lend a lot of credence to their ratings. If you disagree - tough.
This discussion has been closed.