Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• gouldngouldn Member Posts: 220
    I'm in the same boat. I was done with stick shifts when I turned 33. I spend too much time in traffic, and even where it's wide open, the possibility of traffic always looms large (SF Bay Area). I had an X3 (2007) but dumped it because the ride was too stiff for my taste, so I think I'll probably do the RDX or RX350 next time ... when my Forester hits 200K (198k today).

I always like to have a 2nd car which I swap often, and frankly even that one is probably will be an A/T too. Right now that slot is actually open ... since it's the 2nd car it has a $6K limit.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    Well, I got news for ya... they only paid $12,600 for that car. That's just an absurd asking price. They would be more than tickled to sell that to you for $17k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    qbrozen - did you happen to read my post? I totally pulled that $12K number out of my rear end! LOL! That's awesome!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Did you say cheaper? Now you are talking my language:) I know there's a long time between now & then, but I like to think out loud on the board here. Massive cargo space really isn't necessary for my daily driver. If I need to pick up some big boxes for work, I can alsways swipe my wife's Pilot from the garage. There are benefits to leaving the house at 6:30 AM before everyone else is up.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

A Lexus might be a bit extreme, but I can completely understand NOt wanting to drive stick anymore and wanting to have a little luxury too. After 9 years of driving my Prelude every day, 6 days a week, it was nice to make the switch last year to a car with automatic, leather, climate control, bluetooth. That's why my BMW seems to be the best of both worlds. So many times I'm sitting on a side street in the Bronx waiting for a light to change 3X before I can get through an intersection & say to myself: "Thank God for the automatic transmission."

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Stick shift no iDrive wagon....kills resale but that's just how I'd want one.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    IIRC, the AWD models don't get the sport suspension with the Sport Package, only the wheels and seats. Something to keep in mind.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    Oh, I would love a 3 series still. Perfect compromise. I don't need buick like pillow ride. The RDX is not cushy by any means, nor is the Volvo, but both are quite comfy and nice to drive.

The stick is not a must. But, there is a big problem with shopping the lower price range. Most BMWs are fright pigs. And I am really leery of a high miles AT that I am not familiar with. Much less $ risk with something like a stick Integra.

what I really need is more money to spend. maybe once my son graduates. Hopefully he ends up with a real job then, and I can boot him and one of the cars off the insurance (and out of my wallet!). Then I can have the choice of 2 miley Acuras, or unload them both and get 1 newer car for me.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I really want an E46 with the sport seats and steering wheel, but standard suspension and 16" wheels. Probably the suspension itself is not that big a deal, and you can always downsize the tires.

as TJC said, around here, you want as much sidewall as you can get.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    $12,600! Good to know. I was just going off NADA guides and figured the trade was more like $15k, so that's why I was thinking perhaps $17k would be a decent deal.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

edited December 2012
    yes, i did. good guess. Cars with similar mileage but auto trans are about $2k more, so you were right on both counts.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I start college on January 14th, all extra $$$ is going towards that from now on rather than switching cars every 6 months. Not that I would trade my truck in anyway! I have raised 2 wonderful children, one that is special needs, now it's my turn to go to school and have a career.

Guess its a good thing I have a truck I love driving since there won't be a new vehicle in our stable for a long time. I'll be in school for at least 4 years and daughter starts school fall of 2014. Poor hubby is looking at delaying retirement for a little while, he could retire in may.
    I guess that means I spend too much time on the boards;)

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good for you!

Although you already have the chops to step right in and run a car dealership. :-)
    edited December 2012
    Another ti popped up. Seem to be quite a few of these around. This one is even in my town. I am sure now that I bought one, a slew of great choices will now appear. But oh, that dreaded BMW window problem!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3492175931.html

Pricey for the miles, but super rare and nice looking.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3454375320.html

another high mileage oddball with a manual trans, but this one a lot cheaper.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3454375320.html

Could revisit the past. Not only did I have one just like this, I think I actually had THIS one! Only because the plate frame is from the Honda dealer where I traded it in, and I know they resold it!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3475663955.html

Could be a not bad deal.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3425049190.html

another nice looking hi miler, that looks like it just ate the prior owner alive. perfect time to buy!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3461666813.html

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Boy, that Scion is an ugly car. No surprise why you'd offload that! :P

I like the 528i, but no mention of transmission, which makes me think it's probably an auto?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    Back in 2000 I was seriously considering an I30. Very nice car, but I just preferred the Avalon at the time.

The I was also a little more expensive, due to the crazy way Infiniti bundled the options.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    edited December 2012
    Could revisit the past. Not only did I have one just like this, I think I actually had THIS one! Only because the plate frame is from the Honda dealer where I traded it in, and I know they resold it!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3475663955.html

That Scion is no thing of beauty, but a hatchback with 3 pedals and a hole in the roof is a good way to get my attention. But I'm not in Jersey. And the Volvo just got new shoes.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    99% of them were AT, so good bet. It would say in the ad if it was a stick.

and the Scion is not that bad in person. Main reason I got rid of it was because at the time the 2 door/small back seat concept was not working (2 kids being toted around at the time). Now, just me, so not an issue.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Silver 00 528 rubs me the wrong way - mileage is "on engine", dent in door, ad seems a little off.
    It was around 2001 I tried an I30 on. Agree, nice car, but wasn't my style at the time. Too soft. The CL I drove that same day was much more my thing. Would have bought it had the numbers worked out. I did wind up with the S70 T5 that go around, so it worked out for the best.

• 10liberty10liberty Member Posts: 3
    Our ML320TDI was totaled in Hurricane Sandy (flooded). Our insurance paid approximate retail value of the car (~$38K). We rarely drive the car -- maybe 25 times per year for 2,500 miles -- so we are unsure whether we should lease or buy a new or used car. (We owned the car prior to moving to NYC.) We have a young daughter so having a car makes going to see friends outside NYC easy. Whether it makes sense or not, we are going to get another car.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Another option would be renting or checking into something like ZipCar.
    If you liked the ML, maybe find another one of similar year and miles - from what I can tell, insurance payouts tend to be high retail on highline cars, so it shouldn't be hard. Or, if you are feeling like a spender, put 38K down on a new one or especially a leftover 2012 model - the next 10 days are probably a good time to deal. Or just lease if you find a good enough deal. A year or two ago, a guy I know leased a ML Bluetec for something like $479/month with 5K down, MSRP like 56K, end of the year deal.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Given the extremely low miles, I'd think that buying would pay you back better in the end, because most of what you pay for a lease is entirely independent on how far you drive it (up to the mileage cap), and it is time-limited. If you buy, you could easily keep it ten years and only have 25,000 miles on it at the end of that time! Translation: You still have a new car after ten years and only paid about 2x the cost of a single lease. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    The VW Passat TDI has a decent lease rate but compared to the price of a new Mercedes, you could buy it outright. Take a test drive. I really like my Buick LaCrosse and they are discounting them as well.
    If I lived in NYC, I would either do without a car or, if I must have one, get something that I wouldn't mind getting beat up, stolen, etc.

If you want something nicer, I think Mercedes does offer a 7500 mile/year lease, though I'm not sure of what the rates are right now. The 3-series and A4 are popular, fun to drive, and in your price range. I think it would be easy to carry two adults and one kid in one.
    Definitely something you might want to buy as a late model used car, too - they depreciate at a good clip. Good points were raised about low miles and NYC too - might save money to rent cars, but then again, that can be a hassle too.
    All good thoughts. Zip Car is not as cheap as I would like and dragging a car seat in and out every time is a pain. We are willing to pay not to have to do that. As mentioned, the low miles per year make purchasing attractive. Also, cars get dinged up here. Ideally, I do not want to spend more than the payout ($38K). I would love to get a used 5-series wagon but they are expensive, even with higher miles. I would also like to check out used Jeep Grand Cherokee models. Maybe the Limited or Overland.

Is it a better value to buy a new car (putting the $38K down) or buying a used car for <$38K total? Which scenario is like to net out better in 5 years?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    edited December 2012
    I've been dealing with a pinched nerve in my back/leg; today's hearing was in a county @2 hours away so my wife told me to take her 328i since it has power lumbar and heated seats. I'm 55, so I'm not in full geezer mode yet- but I can't see how I'd ever want anything much larger or softer than an E90- and it would still have to be equipped with a stick...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Sorry for dragging you a bit off-track (again), but how's your parking situation? Always on the street? (If you have a garage space in Manhattan, just lease that out and use the monthly rent to hire a limo service, lol).

Every thing else being equal, it's generally better to buy used and let someone else eat the initial depreciation (figure ~10% a year for most cars but some are worse than others).

2012 Used Car Best Bets
    You're probably better off buying a low mileage used car since the depreciation curve won't be as steep. With the lower mileage you'll be driving, the reliability issues that often crop up with European cars may be less of an issue.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    edited December 2012
    Congratulations on starting college! You will love it.... nothing like enriching your life with upper level education! Your degree is something no one can take away from you! :D

Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    We have a spot in a garage (scene of the flood). It certainly reduces the number of dings and scrapes but that still happens.

My gut is telling me to get a low(er) mileage used car that still has some warranty remaining. The lack of driving is a plus from a mileage perspective, but there is some worry about realability when the car is not driven for weeks at a time.

Thanks for the Used Car List.
    I have a suggestion for what to replace your "totaled" ML Bluetec with:

Buy yourself a Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited. I'm sure you can find a new one with options well within your price range. It's easy to park, has higher ground clearance than most vehicles, tall sidewall tires, a tight turning radius. Best of all, it's a JEEP. So you won't have to worry about dings, scrapes, & scratches (they build character).

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Until you have to park that barge..

Also, note.... if you haven't been in one.. the interior is pure Wrangler... It's not like riding in a normal $35K+ SUV..

(my friend just got one...)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited December 2012
    some worry about realability when the car is not driven for weeks at a time.

I barely drive my Subaru 8 months out the year and it does take a toll.

The good thing about a Grand Cherokee is that you should be able to dump it pretty fast up in the northeast if you didn't like it. This may not be the best time of year to buy a 4WD rig, although a 2012 could be a "deal" over a 2013. Looks like there's still ~150 of the 2012's within 50 miles of NYC. (link)

My Car Match can be a fun exercise.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    edited December 2012
    It's a sign of old age, and of technology.

A few weeks back, I was visiting in Germany with the folks and drove my dad's new car. Exactly what I told him not to get, a Focus C-Max turbo(!) diesel(!) with the dual-clutch-or-whatever-it-is automatic(!).

The reason I advised against it is he drives almost nothing but short hops, but daily. I'm talking between half a mile and two miles at a time, ferrying relatives, shopping, etc.

But when I drove it, I *really* liked it; quiet, torquey, comfortable, and the auto is well matched to the engine.

But what really got me is the kind of driving we do there. The town's center is medieval in origin (and layout) -- we had the 1200th anniversary celbration when I was a kid. So that makes for lots of stopping and maneuvering and waiting to let people get through and ducking in between parked cars... and I found myself thinking, this is the perfect powertrain for this kind of driving.

Especially since there are steep hills on top of the tightness, so you really have to know how to use the clutch.

I'm planning to buy a 6MT Outback this spring, and that'll be my last stick. Not counting toys :) I can pretty much guarantee the wife's next ride will be something hybridy and 50mpg, and no sticks in those... for the running-around car, that's the only thing that makes sense, unless diesels go back to being Mercedes 200D kind of reliable.

And just like stickguy I bought a well-preserved old car and find that I kind of got used to nice, clean, new-ish cars. The rattles and niggling problems get to me more now than they did when I was in my 20s. Signs of old age indeed...
    Cheers -Mathias
    no issues with nasty hills around here, but the integra is a little more labor intensive to drive than the accord was (I think a combination of a smaller hi rev engine vs. the bigger torquier motor + an older clutch with a bit more travel).

I just sort of got used to the modern amenities. And the lower ride with big seat bolsters, while nothing like my Miata was, still is a little harder to get in and out of!

but you are right that the fancy stereo stuff, smoother ride, and the little nicities become addictive.

I probably have to wait it out until the spring to see what happens with my Son. If he gets a job I will inherit the TL back, and could keep that. Or sell them both and get something else.

Though I am keeping my eye out for a Lexus or some such ride. if I find a too good to pass up deal, I will just get it and deal with the overflow afterwards.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    edited December 2012
    can be a fun exercise.

Pretty dead on for me.

Lexus ES, Avalon, Genesis, LaCrosse, Maxima (owned 3 out the 5 and have tested the other 2)

The two that puzzled me were the 3 series (Never!!) and somewhat less a TL.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Found out we have Baby #3 on the way. So in the last couple of months we have bought another Odyssey (2008) and tonight we traded the Prius and Tiguan for a 2013 Accord EX 6mt. Really feels like old Honda.
    congratulations. Though the Accord will have a short life span after you discover the joy of 3 kids on a bench seat, when 1 of them is in an infant seat!

Congrats on baby #3 & the 2 punches! We haven't heard from you guys in a while & are glad you are OK. So hopefully you'll like the '08 Odyssey better than the '11 that you had.

Accord EX 6MT sounds like fun! You guys had that Tiguan (S 6 speed?) for a while anyway. The Prius too. Over a year for the VW?

Hopefully you did good on both trades & got a good price on the Accord:)

The Accord will rarely be tasked with carrying all five of us. We will use the van mostly.

We did OK on the Prius and VW considering we owned the VW right at a year and the Prius a little over 7 months. We walked away with the Accord for less than invoice and a check back for our equity. Deal was surprisingly easy. Dealer emailed a quote without me even asking and it was below invoice even with the $500 dealer fee added. Most negotiation was centered around what the VW was worth. It was a 6 speed manual so I'm sure it won't be as easy a sell for them as the Prius.
    As long as you have one car (the van) to schlep all 5 of you around, that's fine. How many miles on the '08 Ody?

We've got my wife's '11 Pilot EXL w/ NAV for her DD/ family hauler. When I traded my 2010 TSX in & leased my BMW in March, I was concerned about the smaller Size of the 3er. 90% of the time it's 1 person driving the BMW & the other times it has 1, maybe 2 car seats in it.

Each car serves a purpose.

This looks interesting. It's equipped about like I would want it (the description says it's a stick but the pictures show an automatic). I love the aluminum trim--to me, it looks better than wood in a sporty car.

http://www.swopetoyota.com/used/BMW/2011-BMW-3+Series-84886d4c0a0a0002007c0754b3- 2d1e98.htm
    We bought the Ody with 57k, it has just over 60k now. It's pretty basic, LX with leather. We didn't want to deal with the power doors of the EX or the VCM of the EX-L. A younger guy in a truck rear ended it less than a month after we bought it so I'm glad we went used and cheap.
    Well, if you aren't carrying everyone in the Accord, why the need to upgrade from 1 5 seater to another?

and yes, I see the irony of asking you that question!

looks nice, like the color, but that is a boatload of miles for a 2011.

Don't forget stickguy, that 2011 was a long model year for the 3 series. 2011s came out way early in 2010 & they were still on sale well into 2012 (I bought mine in March). So that car could be 2 years old already.