Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    still a lot of miles compared to the flood of other 2011s that are out there (or soon will be!)

not an issue to someone like me that puts on low miles, but only if the price really reflects the clicks.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Took the integra out before and went shopping with my daughter. This was the longest drive so far. Did good. Really does drive well for a car with the miles on it. Could pass for 1/2 as many. Just have to get used to revving an engine (since the other 2 cars normally stay well below 3k!).

My daughter even approved. Not sure what that means coming from a 17YO, but I will take it as a positive.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    Hopefully nobody got hurt. Probably smart not to go with a fully loaded EXL because vans just become rolling dumpsters

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    We figured it was silly to have two 5-seaters. So we were looking for something that would be a bit bigger and combine some of what we liked best about each car. The Accord hit that sweet spot. It has the 6-speed manual and performance of the Tiguan plus the better fuel economy and sunroof of the Prius.

We initially made the deal just trading the Tiguan but decided to trade the Prius at the last minute. Gee told me about the recent Prius V offset crash tests... That is enough not to make me feel too bad about it.
  • juliansieserjuliansieser Member Posts: 1
    I left on a 6 month vacation without taking the time to store my car properly. It will be sitting outside during this January and Feb exposed to all the elements in New England... I have a friend who is starting it up for me every now and then, but other than that, I took no special precautions....

I have been trolling through the forums trying to figure out the seriousness of leaving a car out for 6 months(including december, jan, and feb) and what I can do at this point to minimize any damage...Should I throw a car cover on it? Cap the exhaust pipe? Add stabilizer?

What is your take?
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    "...what is your take?..."

If someone is starting it from time to time I wouldn't cap the tail pipe but the cover and gas stabilizer sound good.

I currently have two cars off road for at least six winter months. One under cover, one out in the open. I used Stabil in both and start them once a month. The outside car has various modules which drain the battery so I took the suggestion of an Edmunds poster and installed a battery disconnect switch.

Other than that I do little. I should mention that these are not high value cars. If your car is worth a lot you might want to do extra protection.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I notice that many of you have a fondness for BMW and some of you (Stick) have posted a lot of high milage vehicles. Do you not worry about potential repair costs on these older cars?

I usually focus on domestic cars with under 100k because I don't trust them beyond that but I see you guys posting BMWs with 150k and more.

Are the scare stories about expensive repairs on BMWs out of warranty just that?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

well, BMWs are complicated, and some of the parts are more expensive, but you can still put a lot of miles on one. Maintenance has a lot to do with it, and the main components (engine) are very durable. A lot of the stuff that goes is not really mileage related (window regulators say). And on individual cars, what was done already is important.

The Acura i just bought has a much better reputation of course, but it still has 166K on it. Full records of routine maintenance, but still nothing major done that was not preventive (new timing belt/water pump, plugs, etc.).

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    edited December 2012
    Congrats! We had our 3 kids within 4 years and sure, it was a bit harried having them all in car seats at the same time, but we managed. And we did this in an Olds Cutlass and Toyota Camry. But when they got a bit older, we were so glad that we had them all so close in age. And now that they're all out of the house, we miss the everyday interaction. You guys will do just fine!

So, guess there are just a couple of cars in your stable now, probably a good thing as all that extra expense will be going for things like child care and college funds! There aren't any more parked in the driveway are there? Our fleet still remains the same with the wife's '05 Mazda3s going on 115k, my '06 Civic at just about 35.5k, the oldest girl's '09 Versa SL hatch at just over 41k and the second girl's '08 Accent at 12k. The wife loves her Mazda so much that she decided to fix the motor mounts and keep it until the '14 year models come out...she was superstitious about getting a '13 model, something I never knew. When she's ready, she'll let me know what exact car she wants so I can go test drive the actual car. Can't wait! And as much as I would love a new ride for myself, I just can't see cutting my low mileage Civic from the herd...doesn't make any financial sense. But the car lover in me really wants something different, something so out of character, a recent 3 Series or a C Class would make me deliriously happy! Instead, I lurk in here and enjoy seeing everyone else get their new rides...I'm extremely happy for all of y'all! :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    The driving dynamics of BMW's are attractive to many but the new and late model cars are expensive. The cars themselves hold up well for many years and miles with issues like stick mentioned. So the only way into the club for some is to buy high mileage cars and roll the dice on repairs. The odds are still in your favor because they can provide a great drive for many years.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    Costs and frequency of repair and maintenance both tend to be higher on a BMW compared to a Toyota/Honda. Worst case scenario is that you invest a bunch of money into an expensive repair (such as replacing a transmission) and then the car gets totaled shortly thereafter.

Overall, you have less to lose if you're buying a reasonably priced used model.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    I don't have as much as experience as many around here, but my '02 530i has been great. I bought it in October 2011 with 58k miles on it. I've put about 15k miles on it since then and have basically changed the oil twice.

If you're not mechanically inclined (like myself), the key is to have a BMW mechanic you trust. I had ours check out the 530i before we bought it (he endorsed it with no issues - and decided not to charge me for it!) and I trust him to provide the advice and maintenance required at a reasonable cost.

There are also some good deals out there on BMW CPO cars. We had bought our '08 328xi that way, so while it had 42k miles on it, it still was covered under warranty through 100k miles (not that we ended up keeping it that long :) ).

Basically, my wife and I decided a few years ago that we appreciated the driving dynamics of the BMWs enough to justify the extra cost of upkeep. Though I do like "balancing" our garage - in addition to the two BMWs, we have the Odyssey, and I'm strongly considering an Acura TSX wagon.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Totally confused here now...what exactly is in the stable right now? I know y'all have recently swapped a couple if memory serves me here...but now I have no idea as to what's parked at your house???

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

This baby is definitely more of a surprise than the other 2! Our oldest is 8, so we have 7 years between them. There will barely be 2 years between our youngest and the new baby. At least they are all boys. Will keep things fun. My goal is to keep this Accord and donate it to the oldest when he starts driving in 7 years.
    I have been out of the loop for a while... Do you still have the Volvo? Love Integras. I had a 94 LS Coupe along with several 90-93's. hard to find them stock and not abused.
    edited December 2012
    "My goal is to keep this Accord and donate it to the oldest when he starts driving in 7 years."

You gave me a good laugh there. I'm taking July 4 in the betting pool! :P

Congratulations on the new Accord and the upcoming baby. I test drove a 2013 EX-L V6 and I really like the styling of the 2013 model.
    edited December 2012
    Trust me, our last, a boy, was definitely a surprise! My wife and her folks already knew and she sold our townhouse one day and bought a new house the following week before even telling me...went from a two bed house to a four bed one and I never figured it out...so to say I was surprised was an understatement to say the least. Turns out he was born with heart problems and eventually needed open heart surgery but thank G-d, he's a strapping 25 year old man now. But we still hover a bit when we do see him at his yearly visit...our kids will always be our kids and we'll always be concerned about them!

But the wife did hear me all the times when I said I always wanted a house with a two car garage facing northward...that's what she bought! And as I've said before, we're the only house on the cul-de-sac street that parks both inside every night and don't use it as a storage closet.

Happy Holidays all!!! :)

still have the 2007 Volvo. My 17 YO daughter recently got her full license, and immediately appropriated "her" car on a permanent basis. I was going to try and manage 2 cars for the 3 of us (I work from home so in theory don't "need" a car during the day, but sharing was getting to be a pain. So, I started trolling the cheap end of the market (a truly scary place) and found the Integra to be a spare/toy car for me when I need it.

Like you said, most of them were kid owned and messed with. This one though (2000 LS 5 speed hatch) was a 1 owner, with the owner being an older professional (math professor) and it was totally stock. All maintenance on schedule, at the local acura dealer. So unmolested and stock. A little used looking on the body, but solid mechanicals, and the interior looks like new. Fun little car, though I am getting kind of old for low, bolstered seats, and rough ride!

a real oddball. But from the pics and mileage, price looks reasonable. Cheap "fun"?

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3488889488.html

loaded luxury cheap, but I could never do it.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3498134319.html

might be the nicest low mile survivor in the country, but still "ambitious" pricing for a slant 6, 3 on the tree. This is 340 sport money.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3497786552.html

good deal and won't last, but suspicious that they don't mention miles!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3497589672.html

"Like you said, most of them were kid owned and messed with."

I've found a lot of the same thing looking at late-model used BMW listings. Body kits, ugly spoilers, lowering springs, giant wheels with "rubber band" tires, etc... Same demographic that would mod and beat an Integra or Civic all to heck.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    Are the scare stories about expensive repairs on BMWs out of warranty just that?

If you are talking 3 Series and 5 Series sixes(or fours), I'd say yes. The more cylinders and complexity you add, the greater the chance of an expensive repair. I currently have four BMWs in the RB fleet ranging in age from 37 years old to 3 years old. Only one car has required a truly expensive repair(the transfer case in my son's 136k mile 2004 X3). I can't say I was happy about it, but we've owned the truck since 2005 and paid it off in 2007, so I'm still much better off than if I had bought and flipped another one or two cars over the past seven years. And maintenance costs over the prior 15,000 miles had only amounted to $365.
    The other Bimmers have proven to be very reliable with only the 1975 and 1995 cars requiring a few minor repairs(brake light switches, coolant hose fittings, etc.)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Congratulations on starting college! You will love it.... nothing like enriching your life with upper level education! Your degree is something no one can take away from you!

Thanks Mark!

I'm scared to death, been out of school since I graduated HS in 1995. Glad my truck is reliable since car buying isn't going to happen for a long time. At least I punched my card a bunch this year to make up for the next few years. :blush:
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    "My goal is to keep this Accord and donate it to the oldest when he starts driving in 7 years."

You gave me a good laugh there. I'm taking July 4 in the betting pool!

At least I'm not the only one they take bets on. :P
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    to this forum by adding upgrades and modifications to my '06 A3. So far it's worked, but I'm starting to get an itch to either do another mod or try something else...
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    I'm curious to know how much of the $ (if any, could be negative) you usually get back off of modifications. IMO, they really need to be because you want them, not that you expect a ROI.

I have been looking at a lot of used car ads lately, and generally pass right by the ones that have been messed with to any large degree. Especially mechanically. There are some that look like they are worth considerably less than the same car bone stock, even though someone probably dropped a fortune into them.

Of course, a lot of them look tasteless and/or horribly done, either of which should scare most people away!

Looking at the zoomed-in pictures, I can now see that it's badged as a 335i and not a 335xi, and it doesn't actually have the sport package. It's overpriced if it doesn't have those options, and I'm glad I didn't waste a trip to go see it.
    packed the RDX today to go visit both families for Christmas. Have to say, this is way too small for travelling with a family. especially when your wife is a heavy traveler (lots of stuff), and is bringing coolers of homemade food for Christmas dinner.

with the 2 kids and all the stuff, the RDX is overflowing. Forget about seeing out the back, that is a solid wall of junk to the roof. And good thing the kids are skinny, because there is absolutely the minimum width left to squeeze them in. And most likely they will have stuff piled up on top of them after they are buckled in!

at least they won't fight about anything, since there is a wall of soft stuff between them high enough that they won't be able to see each other!

We may have downsized from the Odyssey 1 year too early. I did try to warn the wife when she picked the RDX that it was smaller than any of the other options we were looking at.

but somehow, I got it all in and the hatch is closed. Afraid to think what will happen when we get to the first stop and have to open it!

And my 1 rule always was, no packing above my eye level so I could see out the back. That was out of the window real quick.

Capri--that was an import from Ford in Europe wasn't it? What's the reliability on that model? If it doesn't fall apart like a Fiat it could be a neat little week-end cruiser.

Park Ave.--if you like riding on air that's a great car. Bullet proof motor if the intake gasket has been done.

Scamp--why would you pay 3x the original sticker for an old lady car?

Corolla--looks nice but what's the milage? Not such a good deal if it has 300k miles.

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,677
    Park Ave.--if you like riding on air that's a great car. Bullet proof motor if the intake gasket has been done.

The intake gasket is what would concern me about that Park Ave. It has 96,000 miles on it, and I think that's roughly the age that the gasket becomes prone to failure.

I wonder how much it costs to replace the intake gasket on those things?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    Looking at the zoomed-in pictures, I can now see that it's badged as a 335i and not a 335xi, and it doesn't actually have the sport package.

Use the BMW VIN Decoder next time; just type in the last seven digits and you will get a build sheet that even includes the day of production.

And you probably already know this, but xi/xDrive E90s don't get a M Sport suspension when the M Sport/Sport package is selected- you are essentially paying for sport seats, a sport steering wheel, upgraded alloys/tires, and some bits of exterior/interior trim.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• apu04apu04 Member Posts: 1
    The Hyundai Elantra was facelifted in 1992 for the European market, adding Hyundai's current logo to the grille, although North American models retained the previous year's look. In 1993, the vehicle was facelifted again.
    car transport
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    My modifications are mostly "go faster" mods. Things I definitely wanted to do, and not for ROI. In fact, I've asked 2 used car dealer managers what they thought of modded cars and they said it usually resulted in a net 0 change on their offer.

You wouldn't know my car is modified without looking very closely, as it has the OEM Audi option body kit painted body color which is tasteful and subtle. The carbon fiber hood is painted the original body color, and you'd have to look under the wheel wells to see the bright yellow paint on the KW coil over springs. The wheels are after market and do have an OZ Racing center cap, the rotors slotted, and the exhaust tips are polished stainless steel. If you don't notice those things, you wouldn't know.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    >> Corolla--looks nice but what's the milage? Not such a good deal if it has 300k miles.

It also might have the vaunted 3spd automatic.
    In 2002.

-Mathias
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    Capri was built in Oz. IIRC, they can be troublesome.

Buick might indeed be a deal, if the gasket issue is fine. It will last a long time.

Corolla also doesn't mention title status.
    "...how much it costs to replace the intake gasket..."

On my son's Lasabre it cost about $500 but I've heard of other owner's getting nicked for up to $800. His went at about 70k but the fluid had never been changed.

If this is a frequent thing, you may need a turtle for the roof or a trailer hitch and one of those carriers that mounts in the hitch receiver. Or just rent a 4x8 enclosed U-haul trailer and tell the wife to pack whatever she wants!
    "...was built in Oz..."

Stupid question but what is Oz.

I know I'll kick myself when you tell me. :confuse:

edited December 2012
    Funny how I haven't seen one of these old New Yorkers for sale in years and now two in as many weeks.

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/3498422427.html

Edmunds says it's worth $1300 with 100k ( my limit on milage) so already I'm not happy. Also he states a lot of repairs which are rust related so red flag.

Yeah, I know, it's a lousy K-car but I like the style. What can I say?

Thanks for the tip. I had heard of the VIN Decoder but I've never actually used it!
    Those were famous for failing when the car was just out of the 3/36 warranty. At 90,000 miles, it's probably already been repaired. The cost of doing that is mostly labor--if you have the tools and the patience, you could probably do it yourself.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    (In terrible "Crocodile Dundee" accent): Australia, mate. Down under.

IIRC, not a very good car. Not well built, reliable or fun. Other than that... ;)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Didn't those have a knack for burning oil and chewing up transmissions?

It is the pimpiest K-car you can find, anyway. I like the smaller 84-87 or so K-car NYers more.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    I always liked the looks of those New Yorkers. Found one for you to check at Oxmoor Toyota in Louisville. 93 Salon -- white with red leather interior. I love the buttons. Even has a carfax. Get busy !!!
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    That Australian Capri was the second time they used the name. The original Mercury Capris were German. My brother had one of those.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,702
    I can now see that it's badged as a 335i and not a 335xi

You know they don't put the X on the back any more, right? All of them are 335i, with the X-Drive symbol on the side of the car...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,702
    That's right.. the German Capri was cool...

The Australian one? Not cool...

In between, it was a Mustang clone....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I was out running an errand today, drove by the MB dealer - made a quick turn into the lot as I spotted something in the window of the used car building. A CLK63 AMG Black Series. 2008, 7K miles, black on black, as-new. Original MSRP 140K. As this is a rare car and the dealer is notoriously optimistic in asking prices, the price wasn't low - 80K - so a bit out of my league yet. But I stopped and looked, that must count for something :shades:

They also had a loaded C63 on the showroom floor, seemed to have about every option box checked, 85K MSRP. Cool car, but that's a lot of money.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2012
    generally pass right by the ones that have been messed with to any large degree.

I looked at a "custom" compact pickup back in the early 80s. May have been a good ride but I just didn't trust that it wasn't "stock". The young guy who rebuilt it was getting desperate I think; called me after I decided against it and lowered the price, but I went with a wagon that had been owned by a schoolteacher.

Nowadays, a trailer hitch is enough to raise my eyebrows.
    "...burning oil and chewing transmissions..."

Late 80s and early 90s had the Mitsu 3L which had a reputation for leaking valve seals. Later (92 maybe) had a Chrysler 3.3L or 3.8L. Yeah, Chrysler trannys of the era weren't the best.