Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,346
    Too many mods for my taste, but on the plus side, you can wear a different set of wheels and tires to work every day.

The only thing I'd really want to check out is the suspension; I've ridden in some coilover equipped cars and they rode AND handled great- others have had both a miserable ride and iffy handling.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    "...which way to go..."

I would never buy a Honda used because the strong resale value makes getting a bargain impossible. I would go with a new one. A lease would be a good idea for the same reason, less depreciation.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    We had a 08 EX, sold it for a 2011 EX-L because the interior was awesome and we "had" to have one. Within a few months, we started getting a vibration between 40-60 which made us afraid of the transmission. The sliding doors were also temperamental. So we sold it once our youngest was out of his stroller. We figured we were done with minivans. THEN we found out about baby #3 right as this cheap 08 LX presented itself. So we bought it, even though we don't have a good track record with white Hondas.

We bought the current 08 Odyssey on 9/25/12... It's been in two accidents since we bought it. Therefore, I'm convinced its bad luck.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    We like the Edge and Santa Fe , but we need three rows. We did briefly consider a Traverse but Gee can't see himself buying a GM product.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    The Traverse is pretty dated. I remember the XC90 driving really well, but it's been several years. The third row probably isn't very big (I was looking at models without the rid row).
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    with a 3rd kid, and the stuff they require, you really should have a minivan if you actually plan to use the 3rd row. Unless you are moving up to a suburban, about the only what to have enough cargo and passenger room. Plus a usable 3rd row, since the mid size SUVs are pretty useless.

A Sienna, or another Odyssey, make sense. or maybe a really cheap lease or slightly used Chrysler would be cheap.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    Have you guys thought of a Pilot? We've got 3 kids (6, 3.5, & 13 months) and find the Pilot very spacious and comfortable. We have an '11 EXL w/ Nav.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    I saw three Leafs (leaves?) in short succession yesterday on I5 headed south from Portland. I had not seen a single one before that. Kinda ugly little cusses... typical Nissan. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    The Chrysler T&C and VW Routan are supposed to drive and handle very well, especially after the latest refresh with the new 3.6 liter engine. You could probably find a used one cheap--especially a Routan.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    So just this weekend as my wife and I were driving around in the new 335, I remarked on how I love it so much and hope we can find something like it for her (meaning a nice 3-wagon that she's always pined for).

328xi m-sport wagon

Coincidentally, this is being offered by a broker that was trying to (unsuccessfully) sell my A5 for the past two months on consignment.

So one-owner, low miles m-sport, manual 328xi wagon with navigation. I was joking with my wife that they did indeed make these but finding one would be next to impossible. So here's a nice one in our backyard.

We might do it and have coordinating 3's.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Two CPA's with chronic car fever is a beautiful thing. I do give you credit for staying within a reasonable budget by buying used. Definitely helps at trade-in time. I am however, almost afraid to predict what will happen when you are empty nesters with all your kids on there own. Should be fun.
    that is a seriously nice looking car. i would be very happy with that. Wonder if I can trade in my 17YO on it? Getting rif of her, and the pending college bills, is the only way I could afford it now!

even better, read the summary. that is the extra special, 7 passenger model! Unless there is really a rear facing 3rd row I don't know about, in which case, never mind...">

the key is, used and buy outright. once you own something of value free and clear, making lateral moves really does not cost much if any at all. Kind of like rearranging your furniture, or trading pieces with your neighbor!

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Tag transfers and registering with the state, titles, I guess would be the only expenses. Not much else I can think of.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Another important key is having plenty of scratch to handle the itch. :shades:
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    eh... i think its kinda cute. Nothing special though.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• danbone111danbone111 Member Posts: 47
    I don't post often (i read regularly, though) and have to say; that wagon is awesome. Being an enabler, I say go for it, and have matching 3's.
  • tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    Congrats on the Leaf! I've heard they make you get a charge port at home, is that true? If so, do you know how much that will cost you?
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
    Okay - so two punches within a week? I'm more amused with ourselves than anything, but if anyone understands, it'd be you all on this forum. I mean last week was the 335i xdrive m-sport manual, then this week we find this 328i xdrive m-sport manual WAGON. How does one resist? :P

So we just got back from our lunch hour checking out the wagon, and pending a pre-purchase inspection from our mechanic, we'll do the deal tomorrow. It's still under warranty, so I wouldn't normally do the inspection, but it looks to me like it's been lowered and has an aftermarket exhaust. Both are subtle - especially since those "x-drive" model ride a little high anyway - but given those mods, I'd feel better having it looked at.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    "...here's a nice one..."

It's great to be rich! :)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Seems totally reasonable to me....

Cheers -Mathias
    Hey breld, I can spot an E46 "xi" from a mile away. I know the E90 "i" Sport Models are lower, but I'm not sure the E90 "xi" is any higher than its non sport "i" counter part.

Keep us informed! Punch #4 and its not even January 15. So what is leaving if you go with the wagon?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,716
    There was a 2011 RWD wagon on the Fest... stick and M-Sport... Wants $37K... :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yeah - I could be wrong on the lowered suspension. I guess I could compare it with the 335xi I just bought to see if there is a noticeable difference. It could have just been my mind playing tricks - the previous owner removed all the badging, including the "x-drive" badges under the sidemarkers. So at first, I actually thought it was a RWD model and that our search would continue. But we confirmed that it was indeed AWD through the VIN #.

So, my wife is trading in her X3 for it. Truthfully, we were actually searching for an E90 wagon when she "settled" on her X3. Kinda like the A5 for me, the X3 was great - functional and comfortable and she justified it for those reasons, but she and I are similar - she really likes the overall feel of the 3.

I need to start looking harder. and rob a bank or something to pay for it.

Unless I sell something first, I really hate to see how crappy a car my budget will get me!

I forgot about your X3. Current body style with the good old N52 Inline 6:). What are they giving you for the X3?

$36.4k for the X3.

No getting around a decent loss on that car, but at the end of the day, my wife gets her very hard-to-find 3 wagon, and we get some back on the difference. There are worse things.

Congrats on the Leaf! I've heard they make you get a charge port at home, is that true? If so, do you know how much that will cost you?

Thanks.

No, they don't make you do anything. The car comes with a cord that will plug into a standard 110v outlet. Problem is, that takes forever to charge. If you want faster charging, you have to get a 220v setup. However, you are free to get that anywhere you want. There are several options available, one of which is to send the standard cord to a company that will upgrade it to 220v charging for you. Cost is about $250.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Do you have a link to that company?
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Friends looking at electric cars .....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The 2014 Leaf gets a price drop and a quicker charger on all but the new base model. I'd wait.

I did some math, with the $7500 federal credit and a $2000 local credit in MD, the new base price is $20,150, though the base model did go through some cost cutting of content.
    edited January 2013
    well, of course that is IF you want a base car. I'm wondering what they will strip out of it. I would assume the Nav, but then again, the Nav seems like a necessity since it tells you where charging stations are.

And I wouldn't expect to see anything that comes close to the current Leaf lease program for a LONG time, even on the new base model. But, if buying, yes, I'd probably wait to see how the new one stacks up with the range.

Here is the company that does the upgrades:
    http://evseupgrade.com/

My guess is that lease special already brought pricing down to the new levels.

Volt lease is $329, you got a Leaf for $199, right?
    Right.

Funny. I went to check out the volt deal just now... front page of site says $329, but when I go into the offers page, it tells me $299.

Anyway, even at the better numbers, Volt is $100 more per month, 12-month longer term, and $420 more due at signing.

ALSO, if one does happen to go over, Chevy is charging 25 cents per mile on the Volt vs 15 cents on the Leaf.

The one big thing the Volt has over the Leaf is " no range anxiety." An all electric would be fine for me being retired. 90% of our driving is less than 20 miles roundtrip. Good luck with the Leaf --- should be a gas.
    Kinda bored, so just surfing BMWs on craigs.

Not a bad looking e30. Is it really an is though? My 325is had the sport seats. This obviously doesn't.

A later 4-banger.

could i get crappier pics to look at? please?

I swore I'd never buy another car in need of rust repair, but this is intriguing nonetheless

mystery miles

• tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    That's nice, thanks for the info. Maybe I'm thinking of the Mini-E, or maybe I just made that requirement up in my head.

So if your commute isn't too big, and you can charge at work, a standard outlet might do fine at home. Although I think I would want the higher power outlet, just to be safe :)
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3

bring a trailer is a fun site to find some interesting things.

Over $6k for a 240? yikes.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    I didn't pull the trigger or anything...but looked at bikes, and am eyeing a Monster 696 ABS demo, or a leftover 12 796 ABS. I just really like how they feel, might take a test ride next week, and if I like it, I'll probably buy. Out of my initial price range, but I guess you only live once. The local dealer still doesn't have a Ninja 300 ABS (small, but I kind of like them), and the 650 is approaching Monster money. I'm itching.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Out of my initial price range, but I guess you only live once.

True and if buying a less expensive bike initially only to decide to buy a nicer bike in a few years likely would cost more in the end. IMO, it's better to buy what you really want and will likely keep longer.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A journalist would like to speak to car/truck shoppers who are looking for vehicles that don't have new technology - or a minimum of it - such as touchscreens, phone connectivity, joystick-controlled infotainment systems etc. If you are looking to buy a gadget-free car or truck, please send your daytime contact to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at noon PT/3 p.m. ET.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

The one big thing the Volt has over the Leaf is " no range anxiety."

That would be my issue... "Oh, I ran out of juice.. honey, could you bring me a 5-gallon can of electricity?"

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

All 1991 318 coupes are iS models.... but, those are definitely not the stock seats...

I love the Volvo, and it might be the nicest one in existence, but it would have to be your dream car to pay that much...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited January 2013
    The bikes I really like are too powerful for someone with my experience - I am not one of those with 100 miles of riding experience who buys a 150+hp bike. I want to work my way up to something crazier, but I don't want something so small that I get tired of it, or am not comfortable, as I am taller than average. The Ducati just feels special, guess I am falling for the hype. Maybe soon I will have something. They might be willing to deal too, I mentioned I wanted a new helmet, and the salesman said "we could work that in with the bike".

I was toying with the idea of risking my life less, and maybe upgrading the car instead - but driving in the E55 today had it feeling so smooth and fast, that I felt stupid even considering another car (especially as it would be financed).
    Toss a generator in the trunk! :D
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    The bikes I really like are too powerful for someone with my experience - I am not one of those with 100 miles of riding experience who buys a 150+hp bike. I want to work my way up to something crazier, but I don't want something so small that I get tired of it, or am not comfortable, as I am taller than average. The Ducati just feels special, guess I am falling for the hype.

No, I wouldn't expect you to just go balls out crazy and light your hair on fire with a Kawasaki ZX 14 or something similar as a first bike.

OTOH, I think something like the Monster you are interested might be the way to go versus just getting a starter bike for the sake of just getting a bike. Sure, you'll like it at first, but you'll soon be looking for something else. The Monster would likely be something that will satisfy you for a long time w/o getting you in trouble. Well, you can get in trouble with a scooter, but you know what I mean.
    I like the Princeton 328i. But yeah, mystery miles = a whole bunch.

and the '99 323i is a 6 cyl, not a 4. Just their naming convention for the early base model E46s.

The while convert actually looks pretty nice for the money, but new manual transmission is a danger sign.

That E30 seems a bit off to me. I don't think it's an "is". Cheapo hubcaps (wheel covers) & a 1991 with no air bag? That's not the stock steering wheel.

I'm far from the authority on E30s. I did own an E30 325i Coupe. My car was not an "is." My car was a 1990 & had a driver's side air bag.

That E46 323i looks sharp. Sport pkg. original owner. Well kept. Stick;)

agreed about the 323. I like that one. Interesting set up. Sport seats, but manual adjusters.

There's still a couple bikes I am thinking about, but the Monster is really in the running. It might be worth the extra price. The bike will be my first vehicle purchase since 2006, so I won't be helping the average here.

I'd eventually like a Streetfighter or a Tuono or maybe a sport BMW, but they are too much powerful for someone without several thousand miles under their belt, and not cheap either.