Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    I almost like to pay off a car at least over a couple years - prevents any buyers remorse rash decisions

That's a good point. Also, with interest rates so incredibly low right now, it's almost like free money. That won't last forever, and I'm sure the end is coming soon, so better to keep the cash for when borrowing money is a painful proposition. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    I'm wondering if paying the truck off as quickly as I did will come back to haunt me? It almost seemed too easy, like I didn't have to work for it.

Back when I bought the Intrepid, I had a proud sense of accomplishment when I made its 60th payment, and it was free and clear. And, I think it might have made me appreciate the car more. Back then, I got 0.9% financing, so it made sense to not pay it off early.

With the Ram, I got an additional $500 discount for financing it through them, but the rate they got me was 3.99%, which wasn't so hot. But, my intention was to pay it off ASAP, anyway. If I hadn't done the $500 discount, I'm sure I could have gotten a better rate. I just checked my credit union, and they're showing 1.49% for 36 mo or less, 1.99% for 37-63 mo.

Hmm, maybe I should have gone through my credit union. 1.49% or even 1.99% is almost free! But, it's over and done with, now.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    "but as I get older I'm thinking more about being smart with my money and focusing on things like being mortgage free, retiring earlier, etc." That's a very good way to look at things actually. Did these things and buying econocars has helped us reach these goals a lot sooner in our lives. As much as I'd like to have a new luxo car in the garage right now, driving the '06 Civic and just keeping it makes sense. Had a friend come over yesterday I haven't seen in a long time and as we walked out of the garage, he asked me when I got the new car. He was amazed that it's going on 7 years already that I've had it. As we compared notes on our rides, he mentioned that he'll be looking to trade within the next year and I told him that barring an accident or major problem, I'll probably be checking out a 2017 or 2018 at the rate I'm going. But I do know that we'll be replacing the Mazda with a 2014 model as I don't want to press our luck.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, I also posted mine before I knew about the mileage request.

01/12/12 corvette 2003 BMW 540i 85k
    I think some credit unions will still allow you to do a cash-out refi on a vehicle. You could take whatever they will loan you on the truck at 1.99% and use it to pay down the HELOC.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    When I bought the E55, I financed for 60 months, but paid it off in half that. The sense of accomplishment is nice. Those rates you mention are insanely low. I think my rate was about 6% back in 06 (used car, lengthy term, I didn't shop around either).

When I buy a bike, I am thinking of using a line of credit offered by a credit card I have. I can borrow up to 20K for a 2% fee, and something like 14 months with no interest. Say I spend 6K, it would cost me $120, and I would pay it off in no more than 6 months. The bonus is that (I think) I'd get air miles for it, 6000 miles for $120 is not bad.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    When I buy a bike, I am thinking of using a line of credit offered by a credit card I have. I can borrow up to 20K for a 2% fee, and something like 14 months with no interest. Say I spend 6K, it would cost me $120, and I would pay it off in no more than 6 months. The bonus is that (I think) I'd get air miles for it, 6000 miles for $120 is not bad.

That is a good deal. Just don't accidentally miss a payment or make the monthly minimum, then they usually charge a nasty interest rate with back interest.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    this meant the length of the Schuylkill expressway

I did that commute for a while. It would make the Pope curse and punch babies.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Yep, there are lots of rules in the fine print. I wouldn't borrow more than I could instantly pay off, I'd just be doing it to get some cheap miles and rent someone else's money for free :shades:
    I'd just be doing it to get some cheap miles and rent someone else's money for free :shades:

I do that quite often too.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    When big is just not big enough:

Ford Centurian

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Fintail - your E55 is an exceptional car. I just can't see anything out there that would make it worth your while to take on a payment. Maybe when the current crop of C63s depreciate nicely;)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

That's part of how I justified leasing my 2011 328xi. You (BMWFS) think my 2011 328xi is going to be worth $28K after 30 months & 50,000 miles? Sure, I'll lease it:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

OOOoooo, I could see myself buying that! Of course, it probably smells to high heaven of cigarette smoke, which would bar my considering it, but that aside.....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    No more real guzzlers (E55 can often get 12-13 in town) or cars with big wheels and thin tires for me. There's a Renntech C63 I see on craigslist that catches my eye, but I have enough willpower to stay away. Of course, when the modern Biturbo V8 AMG cars depreciate to my level, I might sing a different tune.

MB does similar lease tricks with the C and especially E, grossly inflating the residual. With a heavy facelift coming for 2014, I predict there will be a glut of leftover 2013s to be blown out. Give me an amazing deal on a properly equipped and colored bluetec, and I might think about it. Don't know what I would do about the E55 though - can't justify keeping it, wouldn't want to sell it. Got a clean bill of health at its service last week.
    I remember there was one of those in town when I was a kid (redneck/farmer area) - was probably some kind of rancher status symbol. Haven't seen one in ages.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    So earlier this afternoon my wife was the victim of a hit and run on the interstate. She was basically sideswiped by an SUV, whose driver acted as though he was about to pull over, but instead chose to flee the scene. She tried to give chase (to get the license plate), but was unsuccessful given her bumper was half off and one tire was blown. Another driver was kind enough to provide a witness statement, but no one could identify the license plate.

So first and foremost, my wife is fine.

Second, it was sort of fortuitous that the BMW dealer has had her wagon for the past week trying to get her Sirius satellite to program properly. So she was driving the VW bug. Of all the cars, this is the "best" one to have had this happen. Just think if she had been in her newly acquired wagon!

Nevertheless, I hope this person lives the life of a fugitive and is wrought with guilt. :mad:

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    that is a bummer. but yeah, good thing you have 14 cars so the good one avoided the hammer.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

pretty nice looking BMW, and looks like much of the common items recently done. And it has sport package. Love the colors, and looks real clean. Miles a tad steep, but price not too bad it seems. Get it down to 4k, and you might have something.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3580716404.html

Nice looking ride but yep...the miles are a bit high. Good color and don't the tires/wheels look like a plus 1 or are my eyes playing tricks on me at 3:47 a m?

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Those are stock 17" Sport Package wheels... which are +1 from non-sports..

For a 13-yr-old car, those miles are below average (135K)... The cooling system replacement is good.... My friend with about 105K on his '03, just had his expansion tank go.... and is spending around $1400 to re-do the whole thing...

The one scary thing for me is the automatic transmission... If that goes, the car is just about totaled.. Of course, that's true of just about any $4000 or less car..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Glad to hear she's at least OK, cars can always be repaired or replaced.

Any idea how much damage to the Beetle?
    edited January 2013
    Nevertheless, I hope this person lives the life of a fugitive and is wrought with guilt. :mad:

Unfortunately, that probably won't be the case.

Glad to hear your wife is safe. I'd think being side swiped at interstate speeds could have ended up much worse.

My dad was involved in a hit and run a few years ago. Someone ran a red light in a pickup and clipped the rear quarter of his Accord. He was going about 40 and was completely spun around. I think it caused over $6k worth of damage. The perp kept going like nothing happened. Considering where it happened, the likelihood of them having insurance was probably nil.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    "...I officially own the thing..."

Congrats! At the end of this month I make the last payment on the Eclipse. Wife wanted to pay the whole thing years ago and it's been a constant struggle explaining how keeping the money invested was better than paying off a 0% loan.

She hates owing money.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

If my wife had thought like that, I wouldn't owe money on an RDX for the next 4 years! Tried to convince her that a used X3 was a better idea. Just didn't work.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    "...according to KBB..."

I cringe when someone quotes Kelly. Don't know where they get their values. Even if you consider those as "asking" prices they don't make sense. Of course the sellers don't factor the "asking" part when you to try to bargain.

When you mentioned your BILs S2000 I ran it through Edmunds and got a value of $7600. Kind of low I thought, so I tried KBB. Kelly said $22k! :surprise:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hmm, this just popped up on my radar.

The C-Max is actually shorter than the Prius (I want small), but nearly as roomy as the bigger Prius V.

Everyone complains about the Focus' auto gear box, but the C-Max gets a CVT.

They're not getting the claimed 47mpg, but they are still high 30s, and prices have dropped to the high $23k range for that exact reason, from $26k asking originally.

Finally, the gas tank has more capacity than either Prius, so the all important range ought to be good.

Anyone driven one? Does it feel at all like the Focus?
    working from home + our 2 day "spring" holiday came in handy. So far, have 2 of 3 int he fleet washed (the RDX went out in the snow, and was filthy white from salt). Just have to give the Integra a quick wash later, and will be all set until the next road treatment event comes along.

just odd to be out in the driveway at the end of January, in NJ, in sweats wishing that I had put on shorts and a T shirt instead, since I was getting all sweaty!

I saw one at the auto show and liked it. Just not the Energi model, where the battery takes up most of the cargo area.

If we had not already bought, I would have taken my wife to test drive one. probably on the small side for family duty, and she does refuse to buy a Ford!

coincidentally, I was out earlier and saw one (my first) on the road. Looked nice.

I got the new issue of Car and Driver yesterday, and they had a test of it (pretty sure it was C&D). Might want to look that up if you don't get the magazine.

I saw edmunds being that low. I know it will go for more, due to miles/condition on a "specialty" car. KBB is insane. You must have made a mistake there! I can guarantee if you show up and offer him 22K, he will hire a truck to bring it to your house.

Will search, I think my C&D subscription elapsed.

TrueDelta does not yet have any reliability date on the C-Max. They usually come out with them first. That's a concern, given all the botched launches Ford's had lately.

I had a real bad experience with Ford Credit a while ago, but I'd pay cash, so trying to keep an open mind about it.
    Found it:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-c-max-hybrid-first-drive-review

Pano roof but on SEL only. Would push it over $30k. At that point I'd add Navi, too. A little spendy but it's almost more than I need.

Hmm, lithium ion batteries. That scares me a bit. Very new tech, and look how many fires have come from other Li-ion setups.

Might wait-and-see on that. Until I knew reliability was good I'm not sure I'd buy one.
    You and I seem to be on the same track - I was just thinking about the C-Max as well. The styling is really conservative, but I kinda like that - we weren't a big fan of the look of the Prius V when we looked at them last weekend.

I was doing some research last night, trying to confirm when the next Mazda3 would be released. That's probably my favorite right now, but I do think the styling could use a bit of an update. All the word online points toward a redesign for the 2014 model year, though I think that would mean only a 4-year run on the 2nd gen, but that's certainly possible.

Given our recent purchases, waiting a year certainly wouldn't be a bad thing. And as attractive as the current Mazda3 is, a redesign would bring the updated styling cues of the CX-5 and 6, and probably more efficiency.

Plus, they didn't get to do the whole SkyActiv treatment on the current 3. The next one should add headers, lighter weight materials, and maybe start/stop (speculation on my part).

But ... I bet it costs a bunch more than $18k for an i Touring.
    Yeah, dang... sorry about that breld, but always good when the driver (occupants) can walk away (relatively) unscathed!

Speaking of pickups running lights, I saw that happen in Morgantown, WV, while I was there last spring. I was walking in the downtown area when a pickup blatantly ran a red light, a spendy sedan (a BMW, if I recall correctly) was going through the intersection on the green, and the truck slammed on the brakes, tires squealing, and missed that car by inches. It was an impressive reaction time (given that there was about zero sight distance on the intersecting street), but would have been more impressive if the driver had seen the red light and stopped before the intersection. ;)
    But ... I bet it costs a bunch more than $18k for an i Touring.

Well, it could be wishful thinking, but I think Mazda would have to hold the line to remain competitive.

But yes, the 3 getting the complete SkyActiv treatment has to net some gains in efficiency - to a car that's already pretty darn good in that category.

Yeah, Autoweek had a neat article on the 40mpg club, and the only 2 that really lived up to the 40mpg promise were the 3 SkyActive and the Golf TDI.
    That's really terrible what happened to your wife. I'm glad she's OK.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yeah, hope the "day after" didn't bring on any aches or pains.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Trying to remember, this was a short lease on a G37, right? awd or rwd? Do you like it?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

I've been away from here for awhile, so nice to see that 2013 is progressing smoothly on punches. Even Mathias! I had a punch in 2012 for the Miata, and will have one this year for sure, maybe two. I'd guess 34 total for this year, but it all hinges on what breld and anony do...they have become the all star players in this league and will single-handedly affect the season greatly . Jolie will always be a hall of famer, though.

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I had a punch in 2012 for the Miata, and will have one this year for sure, maybe two. I'd guess 34 total for this year,

Details on the Miata punch, please .. date, model year, new/used (miles if used) .. I'll add it to the 2012 punch list.

Have added your guess of 34 for 2013 punches; will repost the entire list once I get the above information.
    OK - 2/12/12, 07 Miata PRHT, used 14k miles.

Its been mid 60's and sun here in the bay area; who says a Miata isn't a winter car?

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    tifighter - thanks!

Updated list:

2012 Punch List:
    01/12/12 corvette 2003 BMW 540i 85K
    01/29/12 anon 2007 Toyota RAV4 72K
    02/12/12 tifighter 2007 Mazda Miata PRHT 14K
    02/15/12 breld 2012 BMW X3
    02/15/12 stickguy 2007 Volvo S40 91K
    02/28/12 breld 2009 Honda Odyssey 45K
    03/22/12 nyccarguy 2011 BMW 328xi (lease)
    05/02/12 anon 2012 Toyota Prius
    07/31/12 breld 2011 Audi A5 17K
    08/05/12 qbrozen 1998 Volvo S70
    08/20/12 breld 2007 VW Beetle 56K
    08/23/12 xwesx 2012 Ford Fiesta 14K
    08/31/12 stickguy 2013 Acura RDX AWD
    09/14/12 steine13 1995 Toyota Camry 123K
    09/23/12 andre1969 2012 Dodge Ram
    09/25/12 anon 2008 Honda Odyssey 57K
    10/30/12 jpp5862 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE 135K
    11/xx/12 jayrider 2012 Buick LaCrosse AWD
    12/17/12 mark156 2013 Honda CR-V EXL w/ nav
    12/21/12 stickguy 2000 Acura Integra LS 166K
    12/23/12 anon 2013 Honda Accord

2013 Punch List:
    01/08/13 breld 2011 BMW 335xi 27K
    01/11/13 steine13 2013 Chevrolet Cruze LT (lease)
    01/15/13 breld 2010 BMW 328xi wagon 21K
    01/18/13 qbrozen 2013 Nissan Leaf (lease)
    01/19/13 anon 2013 Toyota Sienna (lease)

Punch guesses for 2013:
    Michaell 15-17
    Xwesx 22
    Stickguy 25
    Qbrozen 28
    Au1994 30
    Anon 31
    Tifighter 34
    Jpp5862 35
    Steve 36
    Nyccarguy 38
    Rayainsw 39
    Ateixeira 40
    Kyfdx 45
    I had my top down today! :shades:

Near 70 in DC before the rain.
    A reporter used something I said in a article on the new Corolla in Bloomberg News...I heard about him right here in this forum! I know others in here have also been quoted before...kind of surreal to see your name and opinion in print though!

Toyota Spices Up Middle-Aged Corolla to Bolster Profits
    By Anna Mukai & Alan Ohnsman - Jan 30, 2013 4:14 AM ET

Very cool.

Here's the link.
    I agree with his sentiment about Toyota. :)
    Toyota will be Furia to read that. ;)
    I'd like an autograph, Mr. Grossman. Congrats on getting published!