Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    well, those links certainly scared me off of trying it in the driveway!

I do have a well regarded indy near me. Just ballpark, but if I took that car in and asked them to do both fixes at the same time, about how much would it cost me?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

it does seem like a good retirement, part time make some cash get out of the wife's hair job.

until now, I never actually thought about how the rental companies got all these cars re situated.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2013
    Next, hook up with an RV company that needs to move motorhomes from Florida to Alaska every Spring and then back again in the fall.
    I can't even imagine driving one of those that far. It would take 2 months.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    The CCV R&R and the VANOS rebuild should run @$500 each.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

not so bad. So a 2003 loaded touring wagon, owned by an OCD CCA member, completely sorted out, for 7K? Works for me!

well, this one could be fun. And might scare the neighbors.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3560508416.html

a nice cheap boat for TJC

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3560169957.html

other than the miles and unknown history, I am in love with this. Pretty sure RB's touring is a smarter bet. But this is really, really close...

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3582297734.html

edited February 2013
    A 525i Touring is certainly no powerhouse, but it would be a very sweet drive with the Sport Package.
    Did I mention that it is located in Spring Lake Heights, NJ???

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    I looked at one of those before I got my 2000 Solara. It was a nice car, but can't hide the Taurus roots. It did have plenty of power and rode nice. I know right where they took the picture about a mile from home.

Nice wagon, with a great color combo. Miles are steep!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,564
    Cop car---get a marked unit if you want to pull over young girls for dates. They might not stop for that one.

Town Car---how did he drive it to Walgreen's with no plates? More important, how would you test drive it?

BMW---looks nice but I'd cringe at paying for any car with 179k miles. Maybe I'm stuck in the mind set of the days when you were lucky to get 100k out of a car.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    Wow... a RWD 325i wagon with Sport package... Nice find!

If it had a stick, I would take a chance on the miles.... I'd want to see evidence of a rebuilt tranny, before buying an automatic with 179K..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Yep, I've had three so far. Not a bad car, while the cvt is one of the better ones out there I just can't warm up to it. However it drove well enough and returned 36.7 mpg so that's respectable.
    For me the non sport model is a good ride, firm but not too firm. My mother has a Murano and she remarked that my G37 didn't ride as good as her Murano.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That's amazing for the size of the car.
    The G shouldn't be expected to, as it is far sportier.
    We rented the old Altima model last Spring.... On a trip to New Orleans and back, at fairly high speeds, averaged around 30 mpg... which I thought was pretty darned good...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I agree about holding out for a stick with high miles. Much easier to feel comfortable with an engine, and certainly a manual trans/clutch, at that mileage.

Love the color (pretty sure my wife would hate it!). And well equipped. 26K for a 2011 does nto seem all that bad, considering what MSRP must have been!

http://www.bmwofturnersville.com/detail-2011-bmw-3_series-4dr_sdn_328i_rwd-used-- 7682199.html

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    Town Car---

That's actually a Continental based on the Taurus platform. The Town Car is RWD.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I really like that color. I wish my wife's E90 had Xenons and SiriusXM.

I thought so too, the trip computer actually registered 38. I calculated myself when I filled up and got 36.7. This trip was mostly highway driving around 60 - 65 mph, I'm sure it would drop some at interstate speeds.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I LOVE THAT COLOR.
    Vermillion Red Metallic

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Vehicle transport...that's the job! The perfect gig for the car guy in me actually. Turns out another guy on the crew walks with a cane so I'm not alone. The best part is that I can probably work as much as I'd like, if he calls me. The key here was flexibility since he usually calls in the morning and we need to be at the meeting area within an hour and a half or so. Knowing the night before is good so I can pack a meal and drinks so I can save some cash. I just jump on the turnpike and if the traffic g-ds are smiling down on me, I can be there within 20 minutes give or take. there's all sorts of construction towards the end there so that can be dicey.

I'm an independent contractor so the wife mentioned to me I need to keep excellent records for tax purposes. I'll need to pay quarterly stuff and self employment taxes, but since she's a CPA, I'll just give her my figures. Some meals and mileage will also be deductible. Makes my head spin! But this is the perfect retirement job no doubt. Getting paid to do something I love is just the icing on the cake!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Sounds like you need to pack a "togo" ready bag and stash some waters and snacks in it.
    Long day yesterday. We met at 10:30 and had to do a run of cars from Miami airport back to Lauderdale, the company was Sixt or something like that. Then back down to MIA to pick up our fleet from Hertz. Delays kept us waiting so we left there at 2:30ish. After a quick lunch stop, I hit I-75 which takes one across Alligator Alley and then up to Tampa airport. One of the older guys said to just set the cruise at 76 and book it. Good advice as several of the folks that blew right passed me were pulled over by the state troopers who were out in full force! Got just past Naples as rush hour hit so was bumper to bumper for a spell. Got to the meeting place located just before the Sunshine Bridge about 6:30 which was great as Mr. Bladder was knocking at the door. Turned out I was the 3rd one of the team to arrive. One guy got lost leaving Miami and had numerous issues locating and getting onto the Alley, a gps would be very helpful as I will probably borrow the wife's at some point. He was over an hour late and then getting the cars to the airport was a nightmare...too little space for all the cars, I mean there were cars everywhere. Finally, the workers just told us to park 'em and they took over. By the time we left and made a dinner stop, it was late so we ended up back at base at 12:40. I was tired and my spine hurt but an exciting day!

The crew chief mentioned that he got runs for today and tomorrow. Since they were meeting at 8 a m, decided it was prudent of me to rest the back and relax today. Signed up for tomorrows run which commences at 9:30. Sunday should be an easy driving day. Since this is a "part time" gig, I'd love to work every other day depending on if there is work and where they need to go. He doesn't usually know until that same day so flexibility is a must, something I've got plenty of. I just need to be smart and not hurt myself and have a spasm attach which usually puts me down for days at a time. Obviously, the more I work, the more $ I can make. Also, mentally, it's great to have some place to be after being home for so long. How much t v or computer viewing can one person do. And finally, I found a place that doesn't see my cane dependance as a liability that will actually hire an middle aged guy who wants to work, jobs are hard enough to find at my age with people who walk normally! A win win for us.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Sandy, with all the different cars you are driving, plus your ability to put into words your impressions of the cars, maybe you can increase your earnings by doing reviews for one of the car mags. I think something like that would make a really good monthly feature.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

"...pretty sure wife would hate it..."

All the more reason to buy it. Wait until you have a fight and buy it for spite. ;)

Actually, that's not a bad price.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    edited February 2013
    Sixt, I have rented from them many times, BIG in Germany, just entering the US market. I rented a MB E350 from them in FLL last year, some silly rate around $40/day. Sixt has some highline cars in its US fleet - MB C/E sedan and cabrio (!)/GLK/ML/SLK and maybe even GL, Volvos, at least a few BMWs, etc. Sounds like a fun job, paid to drive new cars back and forth.

Speaking of Altimas from earlier (I am kind of a rental car spotter), noticed a 2012 Altima hybrid rental in traffic yesterday, kind of uncommon.
    You know thats AWD, not RWD like it says in the ad?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

sandy, just curious, but how do they pay? by the mile, hour, day? If by the hour, dead time sitting around does not sound so bad!

This car is very impressive in the compact field. The auto tranny is super smooth unlike the Ford Focus's unit...I find it reacts quickly without much of a problem. Some might not like the purplish colors of the dash but I really like it as well as the whole layout. Don't get me wrong, the Focus is a very nice car and I'm definitely not a Ford guy, just find the auto tranny not to my liking. In the hatch version, it's a real looker especially in red and in SEL package. Just think the Hyundai is a notch above in all ways but just by a smidge. The Focus is that good that some days I really think it'll be my next ride! The cockpit area is more driver oriented than the Elantra as many reviewers have mentioned. The seats also envelope the driver a bit more snug, not a bad thing actually. The sedan leaves me cold though but the hatch is proportioned beautifully. I do think the Elantra GT is still a better overall vehicle and am anxious to finally drive one. I especially like the warranty Hyundai has as standard with each vehicle, a better deal than Ford or the other company's. All personal preference I know, but that's what makes folks purchase what they do purchase.

Curious to see how they've improved the Civic over the generation I drive now. Just in the past week, I've noticed how it just doesn't feel or drive like the new crop of compact cars I've driven. It's hard to put into words but my Civic, though pretty tight, just feels old compared to the new generation of compact car. Not a bad thing, but now I just want to trade mine in even more, something I won't do as the mileage is so low and it's a bonehead move financially. At least I get to feed my car fix with each new rental I transport and that my friends, will have to do! The only drawback right now, one of the older drivers I work with is a bit on the "cranky" side and he doesn't like me because of my "enthusiasm" so my crew chief told me this morning when we talked. The other drivers I talked to also mentioned that he's "cranky and mean spirited", so I know it's not me. I mentioned he'd been a bit rude to me and was confused as I've been very professional with him and very polite. Turns out he likes to be "the first" to choose from among the cars and resents when I make a beeline for what I want to drive that trip. All the other drivers, there are male and female folks, are all very nice. A mother/son team, a few nice ladies and the rest retired guys like me but all in their 60's and above. I don't like confrontation so I will just keep my distance and let this guy choose 1st as I won't enable someone else's rude behavior. I really thought I left this kind of behavior back in grade school!!

Brought some snacks and drinks the 2nd day on the job and worked out pretty well. But like yesterday, he called at 9:10 for a 10:30 meeting so I didn't have much in the house and still had to shower and eat breakfast. But am going to the food store soon to buy appropriate stuff to eat so I don't have to do fast food...too much of that crap will kill ya...rapidly!

Got rid of the Legend, and naturally, the E30 had to go into the shop the next day... $800 later, it's back on the road.. :sick:

So, in a month, once we have some decent weather, the plan is to sell the E30, and get something newer and maybe more reliable for my college student to drive... I've set a price ceiling of $10K (though hopefully a few thousand lower)..

Just to get an idea of the top end of our range, we went out to eyeball a couple of cars at local used car dealers.. It's a nasty day, so we weren't planning on any test drives.. just wanted to look..

First stop: '03 MINI Cooper S.. 90K miles, for $9800... Typically equipped.... bright blue (one color... no contrasting roof).. 6-speed.. Nice shape, 17" wheels with newer tires... a little curb rash on the wheels.. No moonroof, which isn't bad on a MINI, as they are huge and only have a screen, rather than a solid shade.. Teenager makes note that even with the seats down, he isn't positive his skis will fit, without interfering with the gearshift (he is tall and skis are long). He isn't thrilled, but the blue looks better in person, than on the website.

2nd stop: '06 VW Jetta GLI.. 92K, $9995.. Salsa Red, with black leather (!), 6-speed, 17" alloys, moonroof, spoiler, heated seats, auto temp control.. manual seats.. Car has a massive trunk (seems 5 feet deep), 60/40 fold down seats with a ski pass-through.. Amazing to me, he likes this one better.... He says it has everything he'd want, except RWD... (price seems very good, as well..)

So.. that's how we spent our Saturday.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited February 2013
    "...need to be smart and not hurt myself..."

Could you have your back doctor give you a brace or something that would take the strain off your spine? Hard to work even at a job you love if you're in constant pain. You sure don't want to be driving around on pain meds either.

Personal Note: for what's it's worth I cured a persistent bad driver's back by switching my wallet from one back pocket to the other.

That is probably something that won't happen. I think Backy does an outstanding job in that area and I pale in comparison actually. When I reread my posts, they don't seem all that articulate...more like the ramblings of a guy who just loves cars. Technically, I don't know squat, I just enjoy the driving experience and the facets of a really good interior...more like a "Car For Dumbies Basic 101" sort of analysis. But I appreciate your thoughts here and will just keep doin' what I'm doin' until I get to the point where I bore folks, something I don't want to do!

Have all that stuff but will just use my cushion that I got from the Relax The Back store...tempurpedic stuff and it really is an outstanding item...had it since 2006 and it's still in perfect condition! Had to fight workers comp as even with a doctor's prescription, they still balked at paying for it which finally, after months of needless phone calls and letters, they sent me reimbursement. I just wanted what I needed. And the best part is that it retains it's shape no matter what unlike that cushion advertised on the tube right now...all the owners reviews have dissed the product saying it loses it flexibility and stays flat as a pancake after a few uses making the product useless. After reading all the negative reviews, I decided to get something with a proven track record. And that is what I'll do. It has a handle so it'll be easy to cart around with me and I won't look like a dweeb walking around.

Mini---do they really handle as well as they say? Always wanted to drive one and see. Would never buy one after trying to fit in one at the auto show but would like to see if the handling hype was true.

Jetta---We got one as a rental last time in Florida. Bigger than I expected (thought it was a Taurus in the dark). It had a sport mode in the tranny that kept the idle high and moved the shift points for higher revs. Fun at first but got old fast.

might be leery of an early Mini S with high miles. That could turn out bad.

The Jetta, I do like those too. Almost bought a 2.0t (2006) when that style first came out. Fun car.

I am sensing a Euro vibe here, though to me $ really came into play for a college ride.

What about a Mazda 3S hatch? That is pretty sporty.

I test drove a Mini (S) when they very first came out. It was a blast bombing that little buggy around some twisty back roads. Just not a real option when I needed to be able to put 2 people in the back seat!

The hybrid is very rare here, in fact I can't remember the last time I saw one.
    edited February 2013
    will just use my cushion

Okay, so you may need a slightly larger togo bag. And save some room for the Garmin.

Maybe I missed it but the other question is how do you get back to your own car?

(Kyfdx, $800 is only a couple of car/lease payments, so it just needs to run a few months for a payback. Sorta. ;) ).
    You know thats AWD, not RWD like it says in the ad?

The VIN decoder says it is RWD as well...

Mini---do they really handle as well as they say? Always wanted to drive one and see.

We would probably be a one or two Mini family today if the local dealer hadn't ticked us off...

I was wondering if he thought it said xdrive on the side? Some chrome there, just can't make it out.

Of course, one of the pictures shows the odo with 22K vs. the 35K the ad says. Maybe they got the wrong pictures to go along with the vin?

We all park in a designated meeting area, in the grass behind a post office...I know, not an ideal location, and the van gets us all there. We then proceed to whatever location or airport we need to be at. It's all a very finely played out routine. Except like today, I spoke with my boss, and he said they weren't ready at FLL, Lauderdale, and they had to wait about an hour to get, check, and leave for TPA. That is one of the variables that we can't alter. The other one is traffic, which there is a lot in South Florida right now. Season is in full swing and there are vehicles everywhere...so many lost folks wandering around. But now, I now how they feel when I go to a new location. But the unknown makes things that much more interesting actually...it's nice to know that every trip will not be the same. So all is good. I truly hope that they like my work and I can keep this job for as long as I'd like. I still need quarters to qualify for social security...I was a civil service employee for my whole postal career, so I need to catch up now to be able to get ss when I reach 65. I have some quarters already from summer jobs and a few other ones while in school. And this gig fills in all the boxes for something for me to do since I'm retired. For once...yay me!!!

Love reading your stories, keep 'em coming.

Back in college I got a valet parking gig, and it was similar except very short test drives. It wasn't a job to me, more a hobby, LOL.

This late 80s so not the best era for cars, but it was funny how even a 2 minute quick drive was enough to like/dislike a car.
    Absolutely, just a few minutes behind the wheel is plenty to like/dislike any vehicle as one's senses tend to take over almost immediately. That tactile feel of the steering wheel, the switchgear, the feel of the seat fabric/leather...it all is a feast for the senses which affect one's feelings. Luckily, I tend to like the majority of what I get into. I am a slushbox guy all the way...blasphemy I know, but I never felt comfortable rowing my own gears truthfully. So guys, let me have it here on this but that's just me.

I am glad you like my recent posts as I don't want to bore anyone and if anyone gets tired of 'em, just say the word and I'll be silent once more. Just trying to entertain a bit if possible. It's nice to find others who eat, sleep & love the automobile as much as I do. I always knew I'd end up in the automobile area eventually...my maternal grandfather, the best guy in the world who did things my dad should've done with me, once owned a Dodge/Chrysler dealership when I was very young. I remember playing in the store before he sold it when I reached 10...it's in the blood that love for the automobile that has only grown stronger throughout my 58 years on the planet. So when I get too tedious folks...please let me know!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Keep em coming! You know I'm a fan of yours:). I'm really happy for you that you found this job you enjoy.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    As a rental car follower, I find your experiences very interesting, continue to post whatever cars you might get to drive.

Today I heard the National group is getting 2013 Avalons, and a lot of G37s - probably to clear out the old model.
    Teix, the latest issue of Consumer reports also tested one of these. I think they liked it OK.