Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Yes, I like reading of your experiences as well!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    Looks like an x-drive emblem on the side. They may have a RWD loaner, but I don't think it's the one in the picture.

Steve: 2 lease payments? I hear that argument for every car repair, like an old car is never going to need another one. Since purchase in September, 2011.

$1000
    $650
    $900
    $800

$3350 in maintenance/repairs on a $4K car, in less than 18 months. That doesn't count the $1450 in collision repair, or the gift of tires/wheels for $900.

After all that the car might be worth $4500, except now it's been wrecked. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Each destination seems to have a different rate so am not really sure the hourly rate. The best I can calculate right now is about $8.50 to $9.00 an hour. Not sure what minimum wage is right now but hopefully it's above that. Only $5.00/week is taken out of the check for insurance purposes, any employment tax is on my dime which is why the wife mentioned all this stuff and what figures I need to write down in my daily planner. The regulars said to get one and put all the information in it and since my union sends me a couple each year, I'm using that. If I had a smart phone I guess I could put the info in that but I have a very plain free ATT phone. Don't plan to upgrade to a smart phone quite yet as the wife and 1 of the kids does already and the bill is quite high...all 5 of us have cells and I pick up the bill for all except the wife's which is a business expense. I guess part of mine can be used thusly now since a texting cell was a job requirement. My car charger just came from Amazon in the mail earlier today. I had won some Swagbucks prize of $10 so I used part of those winnings to pay for it. Another win/win for me.

But seriously, how much I got paid didn't really come into my thought process when I saw the listing on Craigslist. I had applied to a few dozen jobs and only two came in, this one and another driving one but it involved driving someone in their own personal car and mostly nights...seemed a bit out there for my tastes!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

"Toyota Spices Up Middle-Aged Corolla to Bolster Profits"

Thanks to a post in this forum, I've been quoted in the above story from the January 30th Bloomberg News. Not sure if I mentioned this before. Didn't sleep to well and it's just about time for me to leave for today's TPA run. Hope I get a fun car with sat radio!

The Sandman :) :shades: :sick:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    To each his/her own. My knee may force me in to a slush box next time.

Going to the Auto Show today WOOT!

CMax, Mazda3, Impreza, Focus, TDI all on the must see list. Probably will check out all the new models I haven't seen as well.

Any more fun 5 doors to see?

Plan is go with the fam in the AM, then stay longer and do my own reconnaissance afterwards so I can take my time.

Anyone else @ the DC show today?
    On line link?

Congrats on being famous. :shades:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2013
    Ah, the rest of the story. :sick: We have a discussion for that. :)

I dumped $3,000 in the van in '08 (~120k miles), but nothing but tires and brakes in the 60k since then. It might have been worth $5 or $6k in '08?

Juice, the Bloomberg link quoting Sandy is in #29732 above.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    we were doing the"keeping old car on the road" math last time my son's TL acted up. I guess at 167K you have to expect things to go on occasion.

But, we were able to get it back on the road for not too much money (Battery + alternator) so we dodged the payment bullet. A good thing, since he is in his last semester at college, and we have no idea what happens after that (hopefully a job, but when/where/what it pays remain to be seen!)

Plus, where he parks behind his house is no place I would want a brand new car, and schlepping around campus is not the best way to keep it pristine.

anyway, a year ago, he was all about saving money and keeping it as long as possible when he started working. Now, he has a serious case of CCB, and none of us want to see him try to push this car, especially if he moves away or has a longer commute. Much different to have a dead car when you can walk to campus than when you have to have one to get to work.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    My E39 has cost more than that in 12 months. Partly due to deferred maintenance and half-baked repairs by the previous owner, but even without that, a German car with no warranty is expensive to keep running. It's great to drive, but I could make the payments on a fully loaded GTI or GLI for what I'm spending keeping the E39 in good working order. Am I crazy? (Wait, don't answer that...) :surprise:
    This is off topic, but if your AT&T phone is out of contract, you can switch to Straight Talk wireless and probably save some money. $45/month for unlimited talk, data, and texting; less than that if you prepay a year in advance (no, I don't work for them, but switched several months ago and have no complaints).
    Our E30 has less than 10K miles in that time.. It's breaking me..

Here is the '06 Jetta we are looking at.. seems like a low price... .has a good Carfax, as well..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

2.8 liter V6? Not exactly. But it looks nice. And I am sort of thinking about a GTI or GLI.

The 540i has averaged around $500/month in maintenance and repairs, or $1 per mile. Some of those, I've done the labor myself.
    The red Jetta is a GLI.. 2.0 litre turbo...

Basically the same car as a GTI, but in sedan form....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I could've sworn the ad claimed it was a V6. They did away with the VR6 in the Golf/Jetta in that generation. It was a sweet, smooth engine (I used to own one).

The 2.0T is a nice engine, too. It feels more powerful than the hp/torque numbers suggest.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    it looks like that posting has been deleted, so I can't see it. Which generation FWD Continental was it? I didn't like the first one, which looked way too diminutive to me, and actually reminded me a bit of a Plymouth Acclaim or Dodge Spirit, in its slightly-rounded off boxiness.

I liked the 2nd-gen FWD Continental though, the one that had the V-8. Still came off a bit Taurus-ish, but I think it hid those roots a bit better.

In a weird sort of way, I'm starting to like the c'82-87 Continental, the one based on the Fairmont. I saw a really nice one a few months ago at a local car show. IMO, they lack the presence of something like a Bustleback Seville, or an '81-83 Imperial, and it's obvious what they're based on. At least, an Imperial doesn't scream "76 Volare." But, it looked like a very well-built car, and the interior was really nice. And, I think one thing I liked about it was that it's something you hardly ever see anymore. Those bustleback Sevilles and Imperials pop up more often than you'd think, given the malaise era unto which they were born. But, other than this car show, I can't remember the last time I saw one of those Continentals.
    edited February 2013
    Was hoping to feel inspired to buy but left a little disappointed. It was impossible to find a car all 4 of us liked.

Encore is as small as you think it is and not as comfy as other Buicks. I preferred the Verano. Wasn't really on my short list anyway.

Chevy Spark is a fun car for teenagers, down to the lime green bottle holders in the door. Not for me.

Dart was really disappointing, you have to duck to get in, and it had lumpy seats - not one of the 4 of us felt comfortable. No hatch anyway.

Tried a Fusion but the footwell was narrow and I just didn't "fit" right. Bummer.

Had high hopes for the C-Max, but the moonroof is small and too far back and the rear seats are hard and thinly padded. You can squeeze the whole bottom cushion with one hand. So disappointing! This is a family vehicle and the family wasn't comfortable. Bummer.

Ford was right next to Toyota so we did a hybrid comparo of sorts.

Prius got a similarly cold reaction.

The Prius V was a hit, though. The windows are huge, the inside is airy and spacious. There's room for both kids and the dog, comfortably. It is bigger than I need, though. More $, more gas, harder to park.

The family seemed to prefer the Prius C over the original one, too. I don't like the tiny 9.5 gallon tank. The C-max will go much farther per tank, I just wish someone besides me liked it.

The 500 didn't pass the back seat test. Same for the Veloster, my 13 year old daughter plays center (bball) and it is about 4 inches short on head room for her.

Kia Soul has a small moonroof and comfort isn't up to some others I checked out.

Lexus CT we all liked but it is small and pricey. I think the Prius C has more space.

BMW X1 is not for tall people, my daughter said, seats are hard as well.

Impreza XV is the Goldilocks in size, roomy back seat but small outside. A little pricey loaded up, but a Sport model is still on my short list, especially since I already liked a sedan I test drove. Nav screen is only 6.1" and moonroof is small.

Mazda3 was my bargain option but I couldn't get the fam to warm up to it. Now I'm wondering if I'd be bored with it and be back here wanting to trade again. Nav screen and moonroof both small, too.

TDI seats felt a little confined, and the design seems old to me. Not good when I know it is by far more expensive than the others I'm shopping. Would wait for the new, lighter one coming soon.

Hyundai Elantra GT - they only had a base model, can you believe it? So could not sample the panoramic moonroof or the big-for-its-class 7" Nav screen. Bummer!

However I was relieved that everyone was comfortable. It is bigger than it looks, I thought we'd be tight, but no.

So now I have to process all this and maybe pay a visit to a Hyundai dealer to check out a loaded up GT.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Taking advantage of the great weather today here in Denver and getting the cars washed. I even washed the Ody, but it's not exactly featured here :) . And the 530i is at the work garage. And the Beetle - well, that's at the body shop after the hit and run - "Paint by Krusty" (it was recommended by our mechanic).

A neighbor was walking by as I was doing all this and she remarked, "More new cars?". Uh, yeah.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Nice. My cars have that white layer of filth from all the road spray.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    "...employment tax is on my dime..."

Ouch! As a self employed person you pay both portions so that's close to 15% right off the top. That's the tax that breaks my heart when I do my taxes. Lucky you have a CPA available to get you all those double, secret handshake tax deductions. Kind of like having a dealer friend to sell you a car.

As to your question about getting sick of your posts, just remember they haven't thrown me out of here yet with all the dumb things I come up with. You've got nothing to worry about. ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

"That's the tax that breaks my heart when I do my taxes."

I hear you. I pay more self employment tax than I do income tax.
    what is the self employment tax? basically just both halves of SS? Do you still get that after being self employed?

Flip side though, unlike us corporate stiffs, you can deduct all your expenses, so it must even out somewhat.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Nice. My cars have that white layer of filth from all the road spray.

Ditto... :mad:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I got all three washed last Wednesday when it hit 60. Now the Volvo seems to be white again, but the Acuras are still OK. Hopefully we get another warm day soon (and by warm, 40+ with some sun will do it!)

Yes, 15.3% after expenses but before deductions like your mortgage interest.
    the Elantra GT does look sharp. I don't think I sat in one of those though at the car show. Might have to find an excuse to stop by the dealer one day.

Gets pretty pricey though if you want all the options. Sticker over 25K with the premium and tech packages (or whatever they are called). Not sure I would get the tech package for $2,300. navi is no big deal, and on something this small I think I could live without the backup camera! The $2,700 good stuff package has the basics (roof, power seats, etc.).

Yeah but the loaded ones are discounted more heavily. I found one for 22k with both packages, freight included. Lemme check fitzmall.....

$22,231 no haggle, with list at $25,475, but I think I would not finance so that might add $500 back. $199 processing, so basically $23k.

Not cheap, but keep in mind that's a 7" screen while competitors are 5.8 to 6.1". Moonroof is much bigger as well.

Cons? Torsion beam rear and lower mileage than some others.
    that's not so bad. I did like the old touring. It was surprisingly nice.

I would bet that real world, the Elantra will get comparable MPG. And certainly more than the Miata! Not sure if the rear end would matter to me. If it drives well, that is all that matters.e

edited February 2013
    Twist beams dont do well on wavy or bumpy roads. May not feel it on a short test drive.

Miata has a small tank and begs to be driven hard. Add cold weather and tons of idling and I just got a low fuel light at 242 miles, my record low.

I want better range, mostly. Maybe a little better ride for DC potholes.
    Interesting thoughts from the car show. As I've mentioned before, you're looking at a lot of the same cars as I'm interested in, so it's nice to hear your thoughts.

Sounds like the Prius V or maybe the Elantra GT are the best fits for you, huh?

Does the CX-5 interest you at all? Seems like the only deficiency has been the lack if power, but they may have addressed that with the larger engine for 2014. Gets a bit pricey for the upper models though.

edited February 2013
    Just got home from another Miami to Tampa run. Hit two accidents on the way over with the second lasting over 1/2 hour...we all turned off the cars and walked around and chatted and some folks were throwing around a football...the backup was for miles! Luckily the weather was outstanding and folks were in a real festive mood...ate my lunch here, as today I packed something instead of fast food, so I didn't need to stop later on. I'll have to write another installment of today's run for "The Sandman Chronicles" tomorrow as I'm beat to hell right now and our bed is looking really good! One tidbit though...I drove a Korean car, my favorite one, and got over 4 hours of seat time and all I can say is, the bar has been raised folks...Honda and Toyota, are you listening??? Stick, I also agree about the GT...an exceptional value for a real looker. Who knows, we could end up owning 3 Hyundai's in the not too distant future!

Until tomorrow fellow readers, I am...

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Looking sharp! I love those ///M Sport Pkg Wheels!

My car was so filthy, dirty, & salty that I actually ran it through the car wash yesterday. Last night we got a dusting of snow. Barely enough to cover the ground, but enough that the salt trucks were out in full effect. My car is dirty again!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Nice Bimmers, especially the wagon. :shades:

We have an 07 328i sedan that my wife uses as her daily driver that we had for almost 2 years now (long time by our standards). Great car, fun to drive but for the longest time she was bugging me about wanting an SUV.

I brought home an 01 MDX I bought for cheap to get us through winter and for New Years as we went to a cabin in the mountains. She drove the MDX for a few days and then went back to her 328, saying she liked it better, specifically the solid BMW feel and the handling. It probably helped too that I bought a good set of winter tires for it as it gave her more confidence when it snowed the few days last month.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

"...you still get that (SS) after being self-employed.."

If you took 15% of whatever you made during your working life and put it in a private retirement fund you would retire a millionaire. Just think, a Bimmer for every member of your family instead of a hooptie.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    Which generation FWD Continental was it?

It was the second gen V8 version. It wasn't a bad car at all IMHO. It just didn't hide it's roots all that well. For it's time, it was very powerful and had loads of technology. I still think the instrument cluster is gorgeous 10 years later.

I don't mind the early Continentals. My uncle had one when I was a kid, and thought it was a really cool car. I've seen a few online that had been converted to the Mustang HO engine. That could be a fun little sleeper.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Prius V was the family's choice, not really mine. I wanted something smaller, plus it's expensive equipped the way I'd want it (panoramic moonroof + Nav). Used? Still dunno, not really what I want.

Elantra GT seems like a good fit, will check one out with the equipment I want since they didn't have a loaded one at the show.

I drove a CX5 with my sister. We already own a Forester, so I don't see a need for a 2nd snow car, plus IMHO the Forester does everything better. The CX5 has a disappointingly small back seat, even the Impreza has more room. The 2.5l engine surely will address the power issue and doesn't use much more gas, but ... for me I like the Mazda3 better in just about every way.

Not really shopping for crossovers, anyway. I want a city car.
    edited February 2013
    So, with the Advanced Technology Package on the v Five, you're looking at $35k plus change for that Prius wagon.
    So ain't happening...

Cargurus doesn't have any used with the pano roof. Cheapest new is $30,371 and you probably have to add freight and processing.

Far more than I want to spend for a car I'd be getting to make other people happy, not me.

I'm way too selfish for that. :D
    I'd like the moonroof, but probably would just as soon use the MP3 stuff and my portable GPS.
    $20,587 at Fitz (includes freight) with the Style package, but sans Navi.

I'd actually rather not have the 17" rims but it is grouped with the panoramic moonroof, which I must have. Without it I think I'd choose another car.

$22,231 if I add the Tech package, mostly Nav and backup cam. $1644 extra, basically.

I could get an aftermarket setup for a little less, but I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle, plus that is a 7" screen.

I'm going to search for some YouTube reviews of that Tech package to see how well it works.

Anyone seen the blue leather in person? I wonder if it looks classy, or tacky. I think it would look good combined with that Titanium color (which hides the overdone front grille).
    I'll be near Fitz in May. :)

My wife found a post from a Canadian comparison shopper the other day, who compared the v to the original Caravan. The 1983 Dodge Caravan was 6" longer and 2" taller than the v. Per the post, the other interior specs were very similar. It sure looks smaller, but we really liked the style of our '89 Voyager.

Anyone seen the blue leather in person?

Ha, we've only seen one v at the auto show two years ago and one in the wild. Plan to tire kick them "soon" though. Like early April.
    edited February 2013
    http://youtu.be/KEXGBNe5Edg

Check out the moonroof at 1:00 - sweeeeet!

That Nav screen looks HUGE for this class, also. Total eye candy.

Here's CNET on the coupe, which has the same tech (I think, is that right?):

http://youtu.be/d9NKM9q8p7w

FFWD to 0:51 for the tech review. Remember the coupe/sedan actually do not share a chassis with the GT model.

Another CNET review, earlier one on the sedan. Cooley loves the tech, and he's very picky so that's saying something:

http://youtu.be/1T98fI3nUZE

Go to 1:31 for the tech stuff.

Hmmm, but I think the GT does get Bluelink telematics? Anyone have a review of that updated system?
    So, if you're not going to be swayed by the family favorite Prius V, is your previous favorite Mazda3 still on the list?

It's been awhile, but I drove them back to back last year and remember preferring the drive of the Mazda3, but appreciated the more updated interior and features of the GT. I'll be interested to hear your impressions.

edited February 2013
    They didn't really like the Mazda3. I think I was the only one who liked it. Didn't help that they didn't have a loaded model on the floor, and the black interior was somber looking. I prefer the two tone beige/black.

Basically I won't let them choose my car, but they do sort of have veto power if they don't like something.

I drove a 2.5l s model, so I should still sample a SkyActiv.

Bluelink is $79, $179, or $279 a year depending upon the level of service you choose:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/technology/bluelink/get.aspx

$279 to help you find gas that costs 3 cents less sorta kills the whole purpose. You do get a 3 month trial period, during which you could send all your Favorites from your PC.

I think I'd use my smart phone to do all that (already paid for) and just enter an address.
    "...that had been converted to the Mustang HO engine..."

Are you talking about the 4.6L? Tons of Fords had them in the 90s before Ford boosted them up to 300+hp in 2005 for the Mustang. I often wondered how complex a job it would be to switch out the 4.6L 200hp version in say, a 95 Cougar with the Mustang motor.

As you say it would make for a nice sleeper.

So, are you having much heartache over getting rid of the Miata?

I only had mine for a couple of seasons before I replaced it with a more practical package, but you've had a Miata for many years now, right? :)

My basic rule is that if I'm not totally sure, I don't trade.

The family basically vetoed the Mazda3, though maybe if I showed them a loaded up model I could "save" it.

They liked the Prius V and the Jeep Wrangler the most (go figure, they're opposites), but neither is suited to my small car wants.

Elantra GT just might please us all, we'll see.

Impreza is still on the short list, too, but my wife hinted that she would steal it, and her Forester is bigger than I want for a daily DC commute.

Golf TDI was already on the pricey side and it was her friend who owned that Passat lemon, so she laid down a hard and cold veto on that. I would have waited for the new Golf anyway.

Will go see an Elantra with them next time we're near White Flint, maybe this weekend I'll drag them out for pizza and then "accidentally" notice the dealer is right next door. LOL

How many of you have pulled a stunt like that before? :D
    edited February 2013
    Just realized I didn't answer your 2nd question.

Yeah, I got a used 93 Miata in 2001 for peanuts. Drove it for more miles than the original owner did and basically sold it for nearly what I paid.

Sold it privately and got a left over 2008 Miata when I saw the smiley face on the 2009s, and decided right away I did not want one of those.

Of course being the manly man that I am, I got the hard core 6 speed manual/sports suspension/huge rims/Bilsteins/torsen LSD package. Well, that's all great on a track but DC has pot holes the size of a ... Miata.

Right now there are 2 holes on the bridge that connects the Clara Barton Pkwy to Canal Rd, big enough to eat me alive.

I'm sure it will get fixed. In 2016.

What I should do it post a classified for a Trade, and find someone willing to trade 17"s for 16"s. Must be OEM though for the TPMS.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Two months?! Maybe two weeks, if you take your time. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    The ad says it is 6-spd manual.... but it doesn't look like a manual to me from the photos. Those you who drive BMWs... is it manual?

If so, I'd say it looks like a sweet car. I, too, love that color.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    edited February 2013
    Took the miata out on Saturday on the PCH north of SF. Bring yours out, juice, no potholes, just the occasional straight to connect all of the twisties.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd