Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Had a Toyota Rav4 on today's run to Ft. Myers without sat radio so I just plugged in the flash drive and after some initial problems, music started to come out from the speakers. I was one happy camper!! :) I have a 4 gig flash drive and 3.84 gigs of music in mt itunes account so all is good. I just will keep it in my backpack so if I get a car without sat radio I'm still good to go. Now I'm checking into finally getting a smart phone. On the way home, I asked the guy sitting next to me to find the closest branch of my bank near to where our meeting place is. A few minutes later he handed me his smart phone with all the info I needed...incredible! I went over to the Best Buy Mobile store after work and found a nice android phone from ATT for a buck with a 2 year upgrade and a $20/month data plan which should work. My older girl and wife both have the same data plan with the kid having an Iphone5 and the wife having a Samsung Focus Windows phone. I looked at an Impulse phone which is an android. It's not the newest model, hence the cheap price, but I'm good with that. Now all I have to do is convince my better half to let me do it. I think it'll come in handy now that I do have a job and ya know what, I deserve it!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    No, I don't recall you saying that about your granddad but cool that the job lasted so long. I am hoping for this job to last awhile...4 to 5 years sounds really good and like I said, I need to finish up my quarters for ss later on in life. Right now, nothing on the schedule tomorrow but I'll keep close to home and put a shirt in my car while I run errands so if he calls, I can shoot right down there. It's 26 miles each way and the majority of it is the turnpike or I-95 but a big construction job going on the last 6 or so miles. This "project" has been going on for like 5 years already with no end in sight. At this point, as long as my spine holds up, I'm going in when they need me. And I'll have a smile on my face every day! :)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    edited February 2013
    No runs schedules for tomorrow as of now, the run to Ft. Myers was very smooth. Had a Toyota Rav4 with just over 29k on the clock. Exhausted now so will write a report of the last to days in the morning. The Rav was pretty basic but did have a power seat which was appreciated...just wish it had lumbar support because it was not a comfortable seat and this is one car that The Sandman would never purchase because of this faux pas. Also, the steering wheel tilted but didn't telescope, another faux pas in a car at this price point! Toyota, please keep your eye on the ball folks! There really are much better cuv's on the market.

Until tomorrow readers...I am,

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    ended up not being an issue since my wife nixed my desire to get a Santa Fe, but they had the same issue there. They packaged up some options (notably the roof) so if you happened to want that, you pretty much had to get everything they offered.

the previous model was actually more normally equipped. More Honda-like.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    I saw the title, and had all kinds of jokes ready. But it actually looks a lot better done than I expected. Have to be losing some money on this baby. Probably still an adventure to drive though.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3596800192.html

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    A few years ago my wife's 3 Series was involved in a small fender-bender and the insurance company provided a Camry rental car. Now, my wife is most definitely NOT a car buff, but she absolutely HATED the Camry. She commandeered my Pathfinder SE(my DD at the time and her former DD) while I drove the Club Sport. Between the two of us we drove the Camry less than 50 miles over the 7 days we had it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Drove an '11 Camry SE on Sunday to Tampa and it was a very uncomfortable car to say the least...felt like Fred Flintstone I was so low and this was with the power seat at it's highest position. I just couldn't get a comfortable position! The car had decent pick up though the brakes were a bit mushy. I've been told by another driver that the new generation is so much better and I'm anxious to get to try one soon.Today's offerings were a bit bland except there was a new Ford Fusion that I totally missed unfortunately as I heard the driver saying it was a real nice driver across the Alley. Will keep my eyes out for another one in the near future.

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Welcome to the 21st century. ;)
  • Options
    Was that the old model or the brand new one that just came out?

At first glance I like the CR-V better.
  • Options
    That would be really fun for about a week.
  • Options
    Sounds like the GT I drove, you put huge rims and a stiff suspension on a car not engineered to be sporty from the get-go and the results are less than ideal.

If you drive the Fusion let me know if the narrow footwell bothers you.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Maybe you'll get to drive some higher line vehicles too. I've read the turbo model ATS exists in the National fleet now - would be fun to try out something fancy.

In my area, a 26 mile drive could easily be 60-90 minutes during the morning or evening rush :sick:
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    would like to know dyno numbers.

would also be far better without the hood scoop.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    My 13 mile drive takes 45-60 coming in, 35 or so getting home.

Average speed 20mph per the GPS. :sick:

I should be comparing 0-20 instead of 0-60. Might end up with a Leaf! :D
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Your commute is perfect for a prius. Whenever I'm in a prolonged traffic jam[rare], my mpg is up around 70.
  • Options
    Haven't driven the current model. I drove the previous one when it came out, to see what all the controversy was about. Seems like the most loved and most hated car ever. It was OK, I didn't really understand where all the criticism was coming from.

Guess where Toyota hosted the test drive event?

Whole Foods. :D

Only the V has a panoramic moonroof option, though, right?

Searching cargurus....cheapest one is $30,371. No used ones as of now.

How big is the regular Prius' moonroof?

The Prius C's is pretty small.

Was really hoping to like the C-Max better than I did.
  • Options
    The prius tests much better if you wear a pair of Birkenstocks.
  • Options
    I thought those were for Subaru owners.

Yet we don't own any so shame on us. :D

How are you liking yours? Did you get a moonroof? Nav? New or used, remind me...
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    If you are a chronic car buyer (or like me) a chronic car looker, stay away from swapalease.com & leasetrader.com. I saw a 2012 Mustang GT listed with 14 months to go. 1600 miles per month. $275 per month (plus tax).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Yeah, I've played around on those sites quite a bit. It can be difficult to find good deals. I've seen quite a few sellers who put way too much down on a lease in order to make the payment lower and expect to get their down payment back when they swap out of the lease.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    I'm sure if they REALLY wanted to get out of the lease, they'd eat the downpayment. It's a good way to not lay out bank fee, security deposit, and numerous months of lease payments. You would have to pay the disposition fee though.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    Before I got the Lacrosse there was an MKS fully decked out with a payment in the mid 4s. The seller mentioned a 7k down payment. He was letting it go for no cash. It was gone quickly before I had a chance to react. That would have been a sweet two year term for a 50k car.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Bought my 2010 IV with leather in 2010. Have 30k miles on it. Did not want nav or a sunroof. Drive it in power mode and it "feels" peppy-- other than road noise [tires] all is well. Great seats and a JBL radio. Saw a V today at the showroom -- had the tailgate lifts replaced under warranty. Quite a bit bigger but my wife and I can fit all we need in the standard size. MSRP was 27k -- not much in it. I wouldn't be afraid to buy used up to 60k miles but wouldn't spend more than 16-18k. If you need a roof, might change the strategy. My Garmin Nav is outstanding and you can change destinations on the move.
  • Options
    With an average moving speed of 26 mph I'm not too worried about road noise.

V is 181" plus, that's big in DC. My previous car was 175" and the Miata's size (155") is much better suited.

Love my Garmin too, Magellan isn't nearly as good so stick with Garmin for sure.

I don't like the off set gauges but I'm handy and could probably fabricate a mount to put the GPS there instead, who knows.

I should drive one to see how I like it.

Tough I did actually put an ad for a rim swap on the Miata, looking to get OEM 16"s to trade for my 17"s. If that makes the ride more tolerable maybe I will keep it longer, but I will have to lose my CCB membership!
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    edited February 2013
    Nice, I bet the 16's are the perfect size for the Miata. Mine is a GT so I have the 17's as well and for all the complaining on the webernets from about how the NC is soft, it feels harsh enough to me. I did replace the OEM michelins with continentals last november and that did help a little.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Most buyers in the lower end of the market are impulse buyers anyways, or "I need a car within 2 weeks" type people.

Nobody would wait 3-5 months for an economy hatchback, although we did have once customer who ordered a green accent hatchback in manual transmission and did end up waiting 2 or 3 months for it. She just had to have the green color.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    Funny, that's what a co-worked said yesterday when I mentioned it might be time for The Sandman to finally get a smart phone after resisting one for so long. I'm thinking of an Android unit as my kid has the Iphone and the wife has a Windows one. I've always been dragged into new technology kicking and screaming all the way! I just don't like change and at my age...a bit stubborn to do it!

• Options
    If you've never driven a BMW, don't unless you fully intend to buy one. Not because it would be a waste of a salesman's time, but because there is simply nothing else like it on this planet.

100% agree with you and I've driven a ton of different cars. Although the 07 MX5 Miata I had for a week was fun as hell but not as comfy or solid as our 07 328i.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Did a lot to lot day today. My boss texted at 7:33 and said we have a job at 9 a m doing lot to lot, so I said sure. Ended up moving over 20 cars and minivans myself and there were 5 other folks in today's crew, so we moved a bunch of iron. Drove numerous brand new Focus SE's with mileage of 4 and under. Nice little sedans really with loads of pep...more when I do a complete review after having some extended seat time. The 4 Fusions left me lukewarm...modern styling, very Jaguaresque but something, I can't put my finger on it, makes it pale in comparison to the other players in this segment and nowhere near as good as the new benchmark of this crowd...the Honda Accord. But after a jaunt across southern Florida and then I'll be able to give a really full analysis here. The surprise of the day folks were the new Dodge minivans...all the contestants driven today were models with over 20k on their clocks so well used, and abused in the rental arena but I was impressed with the comfort, acceleration and overall goodness of these puppies... really impressed. One co-worker said that once I drive one for an extended period of time, you will truly enjoy them.

There was a somewhat used Mustang vert which a couple of the other guys put aside for me since they know what a car nut I am, it's so hard to contain my excitement every day folks that it's obvious I'm a car dork! Now this was a fun ride...really fun. Hoping to secure one in the near future when we have a very mild day so I can drop the top and just do the Alley. Must remember to wear a cap as the top of my head is losing it's "lushness" as I put it...I will probably get a nasty sunburn on my scalp as I did once before at a graduation in New Hampshire on a really coolish spring day. I can't wait to drop the top and go though!

Tomorrow is going to be interesting, not only are we going from Miami to Ft. Myers once...you guessed it, we're going twice! A double is what's on tap in Sandman Land. The drive is a really easy one actually and luckily, we're starting out at 8 a m...a bit late for me as a 6 a m leaving time would be preferable. But no one asked for my opinion yet so...! Funny how this started out to be a part time gig for me but it's so much fun, I told my chief to just call me whenever he gets anything since nothing is guaranteed and there will be weeks, I been told, that we'll only work 2 or 3 days...it's all dependent on what the clients need, and this is where that flexibility comes into play. Sure glad that this is not my only income as the lack of defined work hours would be a problem as no one is guaranteed a 40 hour week and we are all independent contractors to boot. I have no problem with this so we'll see where this new career takes me. And to be honest, getting the paycheck is just the icing on the cake for me here, I just love driving these vehicles!

Tune in tomorrow, same Sandman time...same Sandman channel!

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2013
    Good to hear about the Dodge minivans. I'm really afraid that Dodge/Chrysler are going to screw them up (lose the sliders, etc.), but I may be switching to a hatch anyway when our van gets retired.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    I like your reviews. Keep 'em coming if you have time!

That's a shame about the Fusion. Was it a base model? Ford carried over the base engine from the previous model for the new base model 2013 Fusion. The up level models have smaller displacement turbocharged engines. I haven't looked at one up close, but the photos look great.
  • Options
    A definite improvement overall from the previous generation but something about it just leaves me cold...right now. I've never been a "Ford person" as their styling never really did anything for me. But I have to admit the new Focus has taken me by surprise and in the hatch version, something I might consider parking in The Sandman's garage! I've been a diehard import fan since 1976 and have not looked back...ever! But this new Focus has me thinking in a different direction here.
    To be fair to the new Fusion, I will wait till I have some actual seat time behind the wheel to comment any further as I need information to back up my opinion...whatever that will be. I'm hoping that we'll have some longer runs in the near future with a Fusion available for my use. I will say though that it is a handsome vehicle that could appeal to either sex...it's very modern and has a rugged stance, a nice departure from most Ford products that have come to market recently. If it can sell the same number of units as the Camry and Accord still remains to be seen. I do congratulate Ford for thinking outside the box here though!

The Insomniaic Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

• Options
    Congrats fellow posters...we're now posting on page 1500...whohoo!

• Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    I have a question about swapping leases -- is there a way to make it waterproof for the buyer AND the seller?

My nightmare would be to get a call after the car is turned in that I'm somehow on the hook for damage I didn't cause. That could happen both as the swapper or the swappee, if you know what I mean...

Specifically, when I dump a leased car, is there a way to do the transfer with an inspection that transfers all future obligations to the new driver? A good inspection, presumably by a dealer of the brand, would also assure the person assuming the lease that there is no hidden damage.

Or is this a case where everyone's on their own?
    What happens if poorly repaired body damage is found at turn-in?
    Who is on the hook?

Cheers,
    -Mathias
  • Options
    With an average moving speed of 26 mph I'm not too worried about road noise.

As I recall, your actual average is 13 miles in 45 minutes to 1 h.

You don't need an automatic car, you need a good, properly set up bicycle.

I'm pushing 50, and I don't train, but I still average 15+ mph when I go on a long ride.

See, that way, you'd get to keep the Miata...

Cheers -Mathias
  • Options
    If you took 15% of whatever you made during your working life and put it in a private retirement fund you would retire a millionaire. Just think, a Bimmer for every member of your family instead of a hooptie.

I hope you were kidding.

Fifteen percent socked away over a long career and average returns would not replace your income in retirement, unless it's very short. It would be a heck of a lot better than what most people are doing, though.

I'm a big fan of the 401(k) system myself, but it's a failure overall... "you shall know them by the fruit they bear."

Sorry for the off-topic post. This is one subject that gets my goat every time. S.S. has issues, but what are we comparing it to?

Cheers -Mathias
  • Options
    62 views but not a single response to my ad so far. Cross your fingers for me.

I did replace the OEM michelins with continentals

That's plan B, get quieter and more compliant tires. It came with 140 summer gumballs. I wonder if taller side walls will fit? Maybe 205/50 instead of 205/45R17? The wheel wells seem HUGE. There's an SUV-like fender gap all around.

Plan C is a whole new wheel/tire package, but the TPMS sensors add to the cost. $740 and up, basically. That's really not bad.

Is there a chronic rim buyers thread? :D
  • Options
    The surprise of the day folks were the new Dodge minivans

Are there other vans you may be able to compare them to?

I'm wondering if they're just comfy vs. the small cars you seem to drive a lot, or good even for a van.

the top of my head is losing it's "lushness"

Same here! Bring ear plugs for top down highway drives, too. Trust me.
  • Options
    You'd make a good friend.

Sending positive karma your way ... buy a lotto ticket or something. :shades:
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2013
    You're really selling the Miata? I thought you were just speculating.

Do your kids know? :shades:

Please tell me you are just trying to swap the rims.
  • Options
    I'm always speculating. :shades:

I am trying to swap rims, even put up an ad for that.

My car shopping process begins the day after I buy a car, and usually goes on for about 7 or 8 years. :D
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    Don't feel bad, Sandy. I don't have a cellular phone of any kind, and I have no plans of changing that any time soon. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Why not just skip the TPMS sensors and save yourself the trouble? After all, you managed the vast majority of your driving life just fine without them....

There you go; now the cost is at around $600 (or less). :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Is that even legal? ;)

I was shopping with my brother, visiting from Brazil, and he was telling me how his 7 year old daughter needed a new iPhone.

Of course that meant she already had an old iPhone, and this would be her 2nd. :sick:
  • Options
    I have a question about swapping leases -- is there a way to make it waterproof for the buyer AND the seller?

It all depends on the leasing company/manufacturer. You gotta read the fine print or ask someone in the know.

Some companies might let you off the hook, others will hold the first leasee liable, others will only hold the 2nd leasee liable, it all depends.

• Options
    Legal? I haven't heard that it isn't, but then government is getting really good at overstepping their bounds.

It isn't legal for manufacturers to sell cars without them, but it is not emissions-related, so what owners do with the nanny tech is up to them.

I choose not to use it.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Don't you need a satellite phone up there around the arctic circle? :shades:
  • Options
    Hahahahaha. Actually, yes, if you get more than a few miles from the road system. :P
  • Options
    The tpms has saved my butt a few times on slow leaks from punctures. I was able to refill the tire and drive to have it repaired. It's one of the few tech things I actually like.
  • Options
    So I saw one of these today, and they even made a hybrid model in 2011 and 2012.

Found a loaded one but it's all the way up in Jersey. $23k for hybrid, leather, Navi, and the huge moonroof would basically check every box on my list except being small.

I've driven a manual/base Optima but not an auto or a hybrid. Thoughts?

There are more Sonatas but I prefer the Kia's styling, particularly on the hybrids.

Which non-hybrid models had the pano roof? Seems the Sonata offers both, the pano and a regular (small) moonroof, or am I seeing aftermarket stuff?