Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Take a test drive --- then proceed to check pricing or not. Also check prices for similarly equipped non-hybrids and see how long it will take to make up the difference.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Looks like the Forte will not get the pano roof from the Elantra GT, bummer. Just debuted in Chicago, but it has a small roof.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    edited February 2013
    I see the new Cruze diesel has launched at Chicago as well. $25k-ish with standard leather and touchscreen with apps. 42mpg highway, same as the Jetta. Really curious to see how this sells, sounds okay on the surface.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    The Cruze are actually really nice cars. When I had ther displeasure of working at a GM dealer for a couple of days last year I tried one out. The materials and construction feels solid and they're a well put together package.

The unfortunate thing is they'll depreciate like crazy and are a hard sell when priced new almost the same as Civics, Mazda3's and Elantras. But it's a GM car I actually like.

There was one at the public auction recently, a loaded 2011 Cruze with manual tranny with only 10 thousand or so kilometers on the odo. I believe it sold for $11-$12k. New ones stickered at about $22k iirc.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

We are discussing in both the GM and the Diesel threads.

$26 plus with freight is ambitious, but leather and 17" alloys come standard, and GM covers the powertrain for 100k, plus 2 years free service.

The bad? Price, timing belt, and it loses almost 15hp vs the euro tune of that engine to meet CARB. Auto only, no stick.

It does run on B20.

Bet these hold their value better than the gas models do.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    "Bet these hold their value better than the gas models do."

I bet so, too. People pay insane money for used VW TDIs, especially when gas prices spike. Note that GM's powertrain warranty is 5 years/100k as opposed to Hyundai/Kia's 10 year/100k plan. I think GM's warranty will transfer if you sell the car, while Hyundai/Kia's won't.
    Yeah, you only get the 5/60 portion of the warranty if you buy a used Hyundai or Kia, and that would affect me.

Of course, $23k for a 2 year old car that cost low $30s new sort of reflects that in the price. The used one only has 3 years left on the warranty, vs. 10 for new.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I bet so, too. People pay insane money for used VW TDIs

I can verify that fact. I sold my '00 TDI a year and a half after I bought it new and sold it for only $3k less than I paid for it with over 35k miles. I had people contacting me from all over country. At that time a new one was going for over sticker.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    New Spark by sandman_6472
    Feb 08, 2013 (8:21 pm)
    Drove in a small caravan of new Spark's from Lauderdale airport to a Hertz in Clearwater today and for what it is, it's not bad at all! It drove respectfully though it is a little noisy in the cabin from the overworked engine but once up around cruising speed, 70, it quieted down some. Wish the seat fabric was a bit more grippy and softer like the Kia Rio and the Hyundai Accent but at this price point one can overlook this shortcoming. The dash was interesting and tilted with the steering wheel and it looks like it was taken off a motorcycle. It was pretty basic inside though these models had cruise and Sirius/XM, a very nice touch indeed! It made the long drive pleasant but we had to put in a few bucks of petrol just to reach our destination. Granted with 6 miles on the clock, the engine is brand new and not seated properly so getting optimal mileage numbers isn't going to happen but still, those last few bars disappeared rather quickly. The sheet metal is a bit interesting but since these are made just for the rental fleet, it doesn't really matter. The car felt a bit wobbly on the highway but that could be due to improper tire inflation and nothing with the car itself as it did ride on 195/55/15 rubber. One knows that this is a small econocar by just opening the doors but it has all the basics needed plus the above mentioned extra goodies that people who rent require.
    Overall, Chevy did a respectable job with this small rental fare vehicle, most folks want a low priced rental and this car definitely fits the bill here. Not as primitive as a Flintstone car but no one will expect Lexus quality ride and switchgear at this bargain price...it hits it's stated target with an almost bulls eye! Chevy and GM...ya done good here!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Go to Ebay and look there. I did that back in'07 and got rims from a '05 Civic SI for my '06 LX and they were in pretty good condition. I paid a very reasonable price for them, as there was a small section of curb rash on one of them. Since they were Honda oem equipment, I knew the fitment would be perfect...and it was. Got some new lugs and brought them to my mechanic where I had them shipped. Transformed the looks of the car and make it a bit distinct looking. I'm pleased every day still even though the wife thought I was insane. Still have the old steelies and bolt on covers in the garage so if I ever do sell it, they can go with the car.

Ebay is the perfect place to look. Took me less than a wek to find exactly what I was looking for and the seller was excellent to deal with.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Thinking I should upgrade to a smart phone soon. Yesterday's trip to Clearwater was an adventure as we were given wrong directions to begin with. We were going to a Hertz store in town and not an airport site but we'd never been to this particular store before. The directions were wrong and the new Spark got down to 2 bars so stopping for petrol was happening. Got off to put some in and got back on 275 but the exit number I was looking for didn't exist...ended up in downtown Tampa. Called the boss and eventually got turned around and while keeping our cells on, I eventually got to the site. Naturally I was dead last and the rest of the crew was waiting on my sorry [non-permissible content removed]. After some ribbing, we were off back to Lauderdale. Having a smart phone would have made it possible to plug in the address so the gps could get me to the correct address. A Garmin unit would also work, but they are a bit bulky and I think a smart phone is the better alternative. Seems like they are the future in communication so why not do it now. Couldn't part of the cost be a tax write off also? need to ask the wife about that.
    Nothing on tap for the weekend...as of right now. But that could change!

You can get low cost Navi on the screen by installing an app on your smart phone. Cheap, cheap.

My kids liked it but it is a bit toy like for me. The Sonic feels more like a real car.

Thanks for the eBay tip, will look.
    Hmm only one set, no tires and no TPMS.

That would be a hassle. I will keep looking though.

I should place and ad there for a swap.
    It took me a couple of weeks way back in 2007 to find the perfect set of Honda rims, I also looked at Acura wheels in the same size, 16", as I knew they had the same offset and would fit Honda products, same company really. Once I found the set I wanted, I just bid and finally won. It was the 1st time I ever did Ebay and online buying and made a mistake or two, like bidding against myself, duh! But with the help of some friends, I got what I wanted at a ridiculously fair price, as I was prepared to pay double for a nice set of rims. Didn't want to go after market as I had many many problems when I bought after market years ago as a local shop...they had a rough time to make things fit and then cure a vibration issue. After numerous attempts, things were smoothed out but it was costly and time consuming!

That's why I think it's best to get manufacturers brand and never, I repeat never do a plus 1 or plus 2...could be nightmarish! I really wanted to go to a 60 or 65 series tire for the greater sidewall and smoother ride but decided to keep it stock as I had rubbing issues with the other vehicle I talked about earlier...just not worth it. The extra $ is one thing but the added aggravation just takes all the pleasure away. My next vehicle is going to have alloys as original equipment and hopefully a power drivers chair. Not sure if the Elantra can be equipped with the power seat but will have to see. Right now, that model is in the lead for my next vehicle. Anxious to test the new Kia Forte and Buick Verano. The one I sat in at the Buick store was so comfortable though a bit pricey. I think it's the same size as the Elantra and my current Civic which is as big as I'd go. Handling is going to be the deciding factor here as I will probably spend the extra $ if the vehicle is that good. Spending a little bit more on something that will be kept for about 10 or so years is not a big price to pay. I no longer choose to settle just to save a few bucks especially at my age! And I deserve what I want this time!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's really hard to tell how a seat is going to fit you in a 15 minute test drive. You have the perfect setup for testing seats over a couple of hours. Being able to compare with a lot of other cars is just gravy.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I agree about being leery of aftermarket wheels. Some are fine (and probably better quality than OEM), but there are a lot of cheap ones that are, well, crap.

Plus 1 is fine, as long as it was an OEM fitment. On the civic, there was usually a base model with smaller rims, so if you are just going from say LX to EX, no problem.

same on the Accord. The 4 cyl had 16", and the V6 had 17", so no issues fitting those 17" ones.

just make sure to check the overall diameter.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    I've done a lot of seat testing lately. First thing I check is the degree of bolstering on the seat back and bottom. VW GTI was the worst for me -- way too narrow and firm. Too bad because I would have likely bought one. All the euro brands except Volvo [BMW & MB] were teutonic firm and stiff. Probably better for long hauls but they just didn't feel right. The LaCrosse was my favorite -- not much bolstering, supple leather, and medium soft. Didn't check Acura or Lexus -- once I test drove the Buick I was hooked.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    You can get a pretty nice garmin for $100. Even if a smart phone is free, that's only 2 months of service charges for the same amount.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Absolutely, and I'm finding some more comfortable that others. Must say the Spark I drove yesterday was surprisingly good. When I got to the meeting place just before the Sunshine State bridge, I had no problem getting out or even walking around the rest stop. We all meet here and cross the bridge in a caravan and then into the airport. Yesterday was unusual because we were going to a regular Hertz location that no one had been to before. The guys who had their gps through their smart phones or regular units got there with no hassle. Since we all had the wrong driving directions and exit numbers, I who had no device for help, got utterly lost and had to get on and off the expressway. Stopped at a tire store and turns out I was going he right way. Without my cell and the boss literally talking me in, I would have had major problems. Luckily the car charger from Amazon came in a few days ago so I was able to plug it in and keep phone contact. In the future, i will make sure to either have a smart phone or follow someone else...I can keep up if the traffic is cooperating.

I've used that tool quite a lot,

Did some research and while the stock size is 205/45R17, apparently the SUV-like fender gap allows for much taller tires, up to 215/65 on the same rims.

That's a little nuts, and the odometer would be way off, too. 65 are what my minivan takes, too.

I might go with a far more reasonable 215/50 though. They're about 5% over but add about a half inch of sidewall. And you can get high performance tires in that size.

So I think I will do that. I have some tread left, but if that slow leak I had a while ago comes back it would be the perfect excuse for new tires.
    edited February 2013
    My sister had an '00 New Beetle for seven years or so. When I first rode in it from VA to TN I was afraid how the trip was going to go because the seats were so firm. But they were very comfy the whole way (about a 9 hour trip).

It helps being "average" size too. My Outback bothers me after a couple of hours, but most cars don't.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited February 2013
    I guess it's all what you are used to; I have BMW sport seats in my 3 Series , Recaros in my 2002, and Mazda "sport" seats in my 2007 MS3. I prefer any of those to the standard seats in the X3 or 328i- not that they are uncomfortable, but I like substantial side bolsters. Having said all that, the seats in my 1999 Wrangler Sahara are very comfortable for cruising- even for a 1-2 hour stretch. No side bolsters, but then I'm not going to be pulling many lateral gs in it either.
    Mazda softened up the seats in the 2010 MS3 and I don't like them at all; the leather seats in the Abarth I drove were also very nice.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Kia sent my wife an offer for a $25 visa gift card for test driving any new Kia. Perfect timing.

I did her the "favor". :shades:

I walk in and there is a Turbo/Limited in the show room, panoramic moonroof and all. Niiiice car, of course it's $35k. It's a demo so asking price was $31k, not too bad.

Napa leather, perforated, heated and cooled, wraps even the dash. Roof is lovely. Nav screen is average size, but sharp. UVO has lots of gee-whiz stuff for the techie in me. Seats are very comfy. Pillars wrapped in fabric.

Cons? I don't need the turbo, which is less reliable than the base engine. Paddle shifters are nice but you actually lose the heated steering wheel. Chrome wheels are tacky and oversized.

I chat a bit and ask for an EX with the premium (pano roof) and the tech (Nav) packages. Sans turbo the asking price plunges to $29k. The pillars are plastic and you lose the paddles on the steering wheel, but you gain a heated steering wheel and better mpg. It also has heated and cooled leather, heck even the rear seat base is heated.

Forget any stereotype you had about Kia being cheap.

Engine is peppy, trans works in harmony with it. A little noisy when you floor it but nothing objectionable. Ride/handling is biased towards a good ride, with 17"s it rides quite well. Blind spots are so so but the backp cam is excellent and you get one even without the Nav package.

I can usually come up with a list of complaints but I will admit I was stumped. It checks every box I wanted. It's just a bigger car than I need.

I wish there was a 5 door model, or a Forte 5 door with that pano option.

Big thumbs up to Kia, though.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    And it's not as overstyled as the Sonata.
    edited February 2013
    Was curious to try the baby Prius c, so I drove next door to take a spin. I had to adjust my expectations because I had just driven a car that cost 50% more.

I hop in, and instantly I no longer need deodorant and my flatulence is odorless. :D

I like the "just right" size. Passenger space is impressive for the exterior size. Cargo room also for that matter. The Scion xD seems one size smaller.

Moonroof is small. Leather ain't leather in this case, but it's heated and comfy. Entune was simple and found my house, but you can't program it on the move, even the front passenger. Most OEMs are like that, I guess.

Engine was ice cold and it was at 10mpg when I took over. Should have zeroed the odometer, oh well. Drove off and it's a smooth transition from EV to gas and back. BMW needs to learn how to make a smooth start/stop from this $18.6k car. Badly.

It rides well for a small car, accelerates ok. I got it from 10 to 30 mpg in a couple of miles, and it was still climbing fast. Geeks will love the charts you get - I was over 50 mpg for 4 of the 7 mini trips, which it breaks each time you stop. Would be easy to get over 50mpg in this.

I do like the small size, but ... this is an economy car with an economy price. It's only $2 grand or so more than an equipped Yaris, and EPA says you get $600 back per year in gas savings, so you break even in a little more than 3 years. Worth it....

...if you are poor. Lucky for me I'm not poor.

It drives well, it's just not plush in any way. It's a good cheap car.

$18.6k for a 2, or $20.4k for a 3 which has Nav and Entune.

Honestly the base model makes more sense to me. For $18.6k from Fitz there isn't any new car that is significantly better and none will beat the mileage.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Good write up. Bold move foregoing the turbo for the base engine. I'm impressed.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Does the 18K one really have heated pleather? My friend has the middle model - nav and wheels but no sunroof, and cloth seats which I am pretty sure aren't heated. He bought it in GA though, maybe a regional thing.

Just don't take it on roads that move at 60mph or more with hills...it's a useful car for city people, but for many drivers would get tiresome quickly.

Maybe engine size is a part of start/stop roughness? C has a 49cc scooter engine, right? Could probably pull start it with fishing line :shades:

The insanely high wages for tenured lucky people in the DC area might give a different outlook, but poor people couldn't dream of a 19K car.
    Kia sent my wife an offer for a $25 visa gift card for test driving any new Kia.

Was that from a sign-up at the auto show?

All I got was a Hyundai tote bag.
    I mentioned earlier I had not driven a Prius since the year the Gen II came out, so while I was at it...

This is a much more substantial car than the Prius C. It is roomy and comfy front and back. The cloth is plush and the A-pillar is nicely wrapped. The "leather" is better finished than the C.

Off the line, it feels much quicker. You get instant response from the electric motor, and the gas engine gives a nice boost and you're gone. This is NOT a slow car, blame the driver if you're ever stuck behind one.

I drove it like I stole it and still got 36mpg over a couple of miles with an ice cold engine. It rides well, handling is ok (better than expected).

Visibility is good and the Nav has a nice backup cam, the C did not.

Overall, better than expected. More to the point, it's a much better car than most enthusiasts are willing to admit.

I'd pick this over the C, even a used one.
    My GPS says my average speed is 20 mph.

200hp seems like enough for that! LOL
    18k is two tone cloth. I liked it. 2 was in the showroom but I drove a loaded 4.

I rarely go fast but I'd still fell better surrounded by a more substantial car.

My Miata is light but feels substantial.

1.5l in the C isn't small for its class. I just think I will shop one class up, even if it's used.

My first job was near minimum wage and I earned scholarships and worked my way up so you'll get no apologies from me. :P
    My wife will look up the link for that test drive offer, Steve.
    The cloth in my friend's car is of better relative quality than the dash materials, anyway. It might not really owe an apology as it is a lower line car though. I am kind of picky about interior finishes. Sure doesn't feel like a 1.5 either, I can't imagine it with 4 people on board.

I'd choose a normal Prius or a V (which at least looks like a wagon kind of thing instead of a normal Prius shape) over the C.

How would you compare a normal Prius to a Lexus CT?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Our 2011 Pilot is my wife's daily driver/weekend family hauler. Since we bought in in May of 2011, I haven't gotten to drive it in the snow. I had a chance today and I am impressed. With 18" of snow on the driveway, I backed out of the garage, put the transmission in 1st gear, locked the center differential, & blasted out of my driveway with absolutely zero drama. I know the Pilot is considered a mall crawler/soft roader compared to a Jeep/Tahoe/Pickup Truck, but its perfect for our needs.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited February 2013
    Kia sent my wife an offer for a $25 visa gift card for test driving any new Kia. Perfect timing.

I received the same offer a while ago; I drove the regular Turbo. This is the capsule review I wrote:

Kia Optima SX Turbo: The stylish Optima is aimed at the mid-sized sedan market, and pretty much hits its mark. It is handsome, relatively quick, and packed with features that were only found on the most expensive luxury cars a few years ago. Voice activated navigation, heated/cooled/seats, the SX has them all. I was especially impressed by the interior(Kia hired away one of Audi's chief designers and the result is evident here). EPA mileage is 22/34. Best of all, the Optima Turbo costs less than $31,000, and comes with Kia's 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. Be aware, that the Optima is not a sports sedan, but having said that I'd note that it is no less fun to drive than the new BMW 528i- which is certainly no sports sedan either.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited February 2013
    Drove a LX rental unit last week and was duly impressed with the car. Seats were comfy, SAT radio, cruise, all power features even a power drivers seat. It was pretty new, about 2900 on the clock and still smelled new. Very smooth when cruising and the engine noise wasn't objectionable really and think the dash is a bit better than the Sonata's actually. I would enjoy owning this car and it would be ideal if it were a little smaller. Make this car the size of the Forte and drive exactly the same as this one, I'd purchase in a second...it is that good! I do agree that Kia is no longer the Kia of old...a complete 180 degree turn around! Especially liked the dash oriented towards the driver. And I'll bet the price is very competitive with the other players in this segment...a win/win for the savy consumer!

edited February 2013
    Driving all these different vehicles has just shown me how far the auto industry has come since I bought my Civic in 2006...cars in general just drive so much better! Sure, I'm driving relatively new cars at work but even the lowly compacts and sub compacts have all gotten so much better! Case in point...one day last week I drove 22 cars within an 8 hour shift. Sure I only spent as little as 10 minutes in a few of them but enough time to make some observations. Very impressed with the Kia Rio GDI(?) hatch...a very well screwed together runabout. It had all the power stuff except drivers seat but I was able to get the proper, comfortable position. I mention this particular model because the wife really wants to down size next year and though it is on the smaller side, it fits into what she wants nicely. I did like the way it drove, sure a bit noisy when a quick burst of speed was needed but nothing objectionable. No squeaks or rattles ans even had XM radio plus cruise...this would be perfect for myself also come to think of it! It looks generic import but not in a bad way. Even the fabric was above average and nothing to show it's lower price point.
    Sure it's older brother Optima drove nicer, it does have the larger 4 banger and didn't want for more power. Accelerating onto the expressway was effortless with a pleasant growl from the engine. It had everything the Rio had plus a power drivers chair, so I was one happy camper. I definitely can't wait to get a chance to do one of the longer runs to Tampa very soon. Have become addicted to Sirius/XM and having no commercials is just the icing on the cake. Owning any Kia product should be a very positive experience as I think they've found the secret to building comfortable affordable vehicles that the consumer wants. And to get all the goodies as the mjor players have for a lower price point is the smart move. I give Kia/Hyundai high marks for finally giving the consumer great value for the buck at entry level prices...it works for me!

I still do love my Civic but the bar has been raised and I can't wait till I'm able to swap out into a new vehicle. With the valuable knowledge I'm getting now, it'll be interesting to see what I plunk my money on for the next Sandmanmobile!

I notice this when I drive my recently purchased 2000 Integra, which at the time was really a well-equipped, "upscale" small sporty car.

Now, it does have 166K on it, but was well kept and the interior is like new (a testament to the quality of the materials) but the difference in feel and features to even a basic new car is drastic.

Honestly, if my 1995 Club Sport had another 100 bhp and heated seats I wouldn't even look at a newer car; it ticks almost all the boxes for me- small, light, responsive and communicative steering, comfortable and supportive seats, decent brakes, no electronic nannies, and RWD.

Absolutely and you're lucky that y'all can see how far Acura has really come over the years. I've just noticed how outdated my Civic really is and how much I want new tech in my dd. Just hit 36k this week but I know my mileage useage will be going up with the 52 mile round trip to our meeting place. I should reach 50k in the next couple of years. But since I drive new cars all the time now, no need to purchase my own. I have noticed a squealing from the front of the vehicle and I'm betting it's the brakes and the noise is from the sensors. Plan to go see the mechanic sometime this week and wondering if i should spring for a better brake pad than what came on the car. Is the bang for the buck really worth the added price or will I just be throwing out my dough? Driving on the interstate for 90% of my commute now makes me think the better pads might be worth it. Any advice would be very helpful on this matter folks. T I A all!

edited February 2013
    I don't do many brake jobs (an advantage of not putting a lot of miles on anything), but I believe in getting upgraded pads when I do. Mostly because it is relatively low cost upgrade (if you are smart about it), and much of the job cost is labor that is the same regardless.

so spending say $30 instead of $10 to get much better pads, same cost to install, seems like a deal to me.

just make sure that it is better performance you are spending on, not just longer life, since in your case, that does not seem like it would matter much!

I like Hawk HPS pads or Hawk Performance Ceramic pads. Both are street oriented pads.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    "Honestly, if my 1995 Club Sport had another 100 bhp and heated seats..."

Well, you can add the heated seats without affecting the reliability of the car. Adding 100 bhp might create some durability/drivability issues, though!
    The regular Prius felt a lot quicker, too, more responsive.

The V gets real pricey with the pano because you have to go all in. Those are $35k. I guess a loaded Odyssey is $10k more than that but I associate fuel economy with value and by mid 30s that erodes. If I had to give up the van and the Miata that would make more sense.

CT is interesting, it's small like the C but has the more substantial engine from the big one. The back seat is tiny, is it's a hard sell to the family. It would seem to combine the things I want. Maybe a CPO when gas prices are low, because prices plunge. Small moonroof though. :(

It's funny, on car gurus I've seen prices fluctuate $1500 up and down in a matter of days. Consumers are hysterical and overreact I guess.

Time it right, buy low and later on sell high, and you might not see any depreciation at all.
    packed with features that were only found on the most expensive luxury cars a few years ago

I don't think the Kia's cooled glove compartment was common.

There was a surprise every where I looked. It totally exceeds expectations.

To be honest I'd probably pick a loaded Optima over a CPO CT, they cost roughly the same.
    Owning any Kia product should be a very positive experience

Unless you were expecting 40 mpg and were only getting 34. True of some Fords as well right now.

That's the other nice thing about your gig - you aren't buying the gas. :-)
    edited February 2013
    Was hoping to hear from you, have you sampled a high mile sample? Lemme know how they hold up.

Bonus for me - gas tank capacity is best in class at 18.5 gallons, so great range.
    Both the Rio and Forte don't get a pano roof option, too bad.

Weird because the Elantra GT gets it.
    Hyundai punched back, comparing CR's real world mileage to the EPA numbers, and they were actually better than the average manufacturer, even before they adjusted the numbers down.

The only 3 "honest" brands were Mazda, Subaru, and VW, by that metric. Each exceeded EPA projections.

That's one of the reasons I looked at the Mazda3, Impreza, and Golf TDI.