Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,514
    My main TV (waste of) time is car shows on speed/velocity, and house shows on HGTV. Was watching property virgins last night (instead of the potus!) and there was a woman shopping on the edge of Atlanta. Big houses, for a depressingly low price!

one real nice place, about 3K SF, nice neighborhood, was ~$399,000. Agent said that the last time it was sold (2007 I think) it sold for 700 or 800 (can't remember the exact number, but it was a shockingly large depreciation some sucker took!)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    To replace the Echo I suggest:

Honda Fit
    Mazda3 SkyActiv
    Golf TDI
    Focus

With manuals they should be at least as fun and come close in fuel economy.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    What do you want to replace the Accord with?

Oh the Accord wagon is gone, I sold it in October. I was asking $2700 for it because I reluctantly listed it and did not want to sell it but I thought I'd get a feel for the market to see if there was any interest in it. I would have been happy driving it for years. I ended up getting $2600 from the first person that saw it. It was immaculate for a 200k mile car but I did have all the service records from the previous owners totalling about $15k since the mid 90s. I picked it up for about $1300 with taxes and everything, drove it for a bit and made money so I can't complain. When I bought it I though I overpaid for it but I guess not. :confuse:

Yeah the MDX needs to go first as it's a bit of a pig on gas. $50 in gas lasts me 3-4 days. $50 in the Echo gives me a full tank and lasts about 2 weeks.

I don't know what I'll get yet. The bottom line is it's gotta be interesting to me, a good deal that I can sell and brake even or make money on, hence I'll probably get it at the car auction, and something I don't have to sink a lot of money into.

The 300 TE wagon and the 190E I posted in another thread look interesting. If I sell the MDX I might go take a look at one or both of them if they're still available. I also wouldn't mind a manual 4 door BMW E46. I had the AWD wagon but it was a bit too beat up.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

Since I worked for Honda and driven the Fit a gazillion times I don't think I'd buy one. Not because they're bad cars but because I know what they're like. Since I'm a car guy my goal is to experience as many different cars as possible so if I worked for the brand chances are I won't buy that brand because I experienced the car(s) already. Unless a smoking deal comes along.

I'm not keen on the looks of the new Mazda3's, the TDI's are a bit overpriced, and not keen on the Focus either, unless it's the current generation.

I'm all over the map as to what to get so I might end up with a RWD german car, early 90s Japanese car, or some old american iron from the 70s if it catches my eye.

Right now one vehicle I've been craving lately is the Mercedes G Class (G550/G55) but since most here are priced at $50k+ I'll have to leave it off my list. :cry:

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    They say that the happiest days in the lifespan of a German car are the day an owner acquires it and the day he gets rid of it. Today was a happy day for me for two reasons! To be continued...
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Guess the 5-series went away and was replaced with the 335 you've been wanting.

You gonna update the punch list document?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    With the fresh coin in your pocket you can buy a boat and have two more happy days to look forward to. :D
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    steve beat me to it :blush:

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Went to the Manhaim Auction in Orlando today and it was frickin' amazing...cars every where...I now know what car heaven looks like folks! And from what I was told, there are 3 different auto auctions in Orlando alone! Crazy!! As I was waiting to check my black 2010 Ford escape in, my eyes almost came out of my head as I saw two of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen. One was a light blue M5 BMW...absolutely took my breath away and while talking with the guy putting ito n the carrier, found out it was going to Atlanta Ga. As we're talking about how stunning this car is, a mint white E350, probably a 2010, drives by and gets behind a flatbed truck...I swear, I almost wet myself I was so excited! Sheer beauty here folks...sheer beauty! Truthfully, I didn't want to leave! We had to wait an hour for a dumbass co-worker who went shopping for some reason and then when we get onto the turnpike, the crew chief does his usual announcement about cell phones, chargers, jackets and other stuff to make sure we all have our studd. Dumbass shouts out "my glasses are gone" so guess what...we had to get off and make a huey and go back to the auction. It was just crazy but hey...[non-permissible content removed] happens!

The good news is that we're making a return drive on Friday to do it over again. We had very little traffic and the weather was just perfect and I kept the cruise at 77 the whole way. Hopefully Friday will be similar. Tomorrow, we just have a short Miami to west Lauderdale run, Sunrise actually. But I was told to expect them to throw some more trips on us which since we're there...who really cares. We're all having to work Sunday through Friday next week on a big job, that's all the info I can get but someone said Hertz is the company who wants our services. So next week will be a good money making week. Unbelievable job folks! Will give a review of the Escape, the Spark and the Focus shortly.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Hey, nice job on the Accord. MDX can being stupid money to the right people, too. Co-worker had an 01, miled way up (maybe 180K), smokers car, had kids in it, still got like 5-6K for it. I'd have charged $500 just to detail the thing.

Flipping a base model bright red manual MB wagon might not be easy. Maybe you can find 25 year old private imports and start shipping them to the US.

And I see you want a G-wagen...think of the fuel it will drink, and the maintenance, and parking it. Of course up there, you can get private imports - maybe go after an old diesel model.
    edited February 2013
    "Guess the 5-series went away and was replaced with the 335 you've been wanting."

Half right. I couldn't do the 335i, even a CPO. I kept reminding myself that it might have two years of CPO warranty, and then you'd have a six year old BMW with no warranty--not that different than my 540i.

My garage is now home to a 2013 Jetta GLI Autobahn with navigation and the DSG. Just need to sell the Altima and then I'll be back to having one car!

Edited to add: You guys are slipping! Mine is the first purchase this month.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Congrats on the sale of your E39 & Mazel-Tov on the 2013 GLI! We're expecting a full write up of how you came to choose the GLI & what else you looked at...

We are slipping. February 13th and this is the 1st punch of the month?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,514
    I am having trouble convincing the wife that I somehow "need" a nicer/newer car for me to use. I have now had the Integra for roughly 2 months, and put gas in it right around new years. I still have almost 1/2 a tank, and it is not a particularly big tank! I think in total I have put about 170 miles on it since I bought it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Something like the old Benz wagon I know I couldn't flip so I'd have to keep it for a while. It was never my intent to buy the Accord wagon to flip it but I couldn't resist :shades:

I think it even might make a bit of sense to bring in a G Wagon from the US as some are priced in the $30k range but it's a bit of a risk too.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    Congrats. Where did you get it? The last time I looked at VW's the only dealer in Kentuckiana with a remotely competent service department was Clapp(now Swope).

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I am having trouble convincing the wife that I somehow "need" a nicer/newer car for me to use.

My wife is the exact opposite. I only need to find something I like and can afford...
    Just for giggles I'm going to check out the ST and the FR-S.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Congrats on the GLI - I am very fond of those. Pretty much all the quibbles folks have over the base Jetta are addressed with the GLI model, with plenty of power to boot. What color did you get?

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    speaking of VW road burner, I totally forgot to tell you this. I know you have issues with the service intervals or lack thereof when it comes to the VW's DSG transmission. I asked the VW sales guy when I helped my friend lease her Tiguan a few months back about any "fried DSG trannies." He said they most definitely had issues the 1st year, but VW corrected the problems and warranties the DSGs for 100K miles.

I'm interested to hear corvette's experiences with his new GLI. I like the idea of the 40+ mpg TDi, but not the torsion beam rear axle that comes with it. The GLI is still rated at a respectable 33 mpg on the highway with an independent rear suspension. Load up a GLI with DSG & Autobahn Pkg though and it costs the same as my BMW will when the lease is up. Any car is going to have to blow me away for me to not buy another BMW.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I have had bad experiences at both Bachman and Huffman, so I went to Swope. They were very low pressure and I'm impressed with the way they treated me. They were able to locate the car I wanted and get it here in a couple of days.
    "Platinum grey metallic" or what I would call dark grey. All GLIs have a black interior with a black headliner. It's a great color (one of about six colors they offer on the GLI).
    corvette - congrats on the GLI. Am curious about your impressions of the DSG; I've been leery of them myself.

And - thanks for updating the punch list!
    edited February 2013
    I bet you could flip that wagon if you sold it in the US - but you'd have to handle the import work.

A 10 year old G-wagen with a big V8, who knows what kind of maintenance, COMAND 2.0 (aka a relic), would be a gamble. Do people want them up there, with the price of fuel? I was thinking in the great white north, people could just get 6cyl or diesel imports.
    I have had bad experiences at both Bachman and Huffman

When I was looking at a new GTI mit der DSG there was a lot of talk over at VW Vortex concerning how many dealers did not know when/if the DSG needed service. Just for fun I called Bachman, Huffman, and Clapp and only Clapp's service department knew about the DSG's 40,000 mile service interval.
    Bachman VW told me that the DSG was a sealed unit and that "Everything is done through the computer."
    Neil Huffman? The first person in service who picked up asked me what a DSG was. I was transferred to a second person who stated that there was "no recommended service" for the DSG.

edited February 2013
    I was so excited!

I hate to say it, but you may end up a little disappointed, given your high expectations.

Lower priced cars are so good today, you tend to get diminishing returns the more you spend.

Not that they aren't great cars, but...you might spend 50% more to get something 10% better.
    quibbles folks have over the base Jetta are addressed with the GLI model

Indeed, they don't even feel like the same car.
    edited February 2013
    It's very plainly spelled out in the maintenance schedule. I did not inquire as to the cost, since I have at least 2-3 years before I'll hit the 40k mark (if I still own the car then :P ). I know the fluid and filter alone is about $150. The procedure doesn't look that complicated and I think I would trust a competent independent mechanic to do it.

I installed a permanent lead for my Battery Tender on the fuse block last night, and came very close to touching my ratchet to the (grounded) fender while it was spinning a nut on one of the positive 12 volt leads! :sick:
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    I've heard the 40k trans service is around $500. I'm sure there are VW indy shops that might be less. Close to a set of tires. Been on a prius forum -- some 200k milers on the 2010. No issues -- oil changes and tires. Brakes are still fine and the battery pack going strong.
    Speaking of VW DSGs, a local place here has a 2011 Golf TDI with only 15k miles, with an asking price that's quite a bit lower than any others out there, at $18,975. Sunroof, but no nav (I think for 2012, those two things are bundled together).

Coincidentally, it's the same place I bought my 530i from.

Tempted to check it out, but that tends to lead to a purchase, and I'm having fun checking out all the choices :) . In my mind, I want a comfortable car with some utility, that gets good, if not great, MPG. So, hatchback or small SUV. And I'd like it all for somewhere in the $ teens, perhaps low $20k's.

Mazda3, Elantra GT, Golf, Focus, CX-5, CR-V. SUVs offer a bit more utility, but are obviously more costly.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Sounds like Saugatuck Shores. I lived well inland, Westport/Wilton/Norwalk line area. Family moved from NYC in the mid '60s. Great place to live, if you can afford it (Westport in general)! But, like anywhere, changed a lot since I was a kid there. Main St. used to be a Main St. USA, now it's a mall. The Mobil gas station became a "Limited" store with studio condos above!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I am specifically targeting a slushbox for this next purchase, but I can't help but take an interest in something like this:

Passat TDI manual

Credit VW for offering it - wouldn't be surprised if they stop doing so in future years.

edited February 2013
    $18,975. Sunroof, but no nav

That's cheap. New they run about $28k, though as you mentioned that includes Navi nowadays.

Add a Garmin and you're good, for 2/3rds the cost.
    18.5 gallon tank plus 40+ mpg highway means bladder-busting range, too.
    That's gotta be a rare bird - don't recall seeing a manual new style Passat in person.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    edited February 2013
    don't recall seeing a manual new style Passat in person

Driver100 over in SFTSF has one. He had to special order it IIRC.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited February 2013
    don't recall seeing a manual new style Passat in person

Driver100 over in SFTSF has one. He had to special order it IIRC.

His is the 2.5L gasser, not the diesel, but still, not something you would expect to see on the dealer's lot.

EDIT - OK, the VW dealer in Colo Springs has 4 manual Passats (all TDI) out of 43 total. 10% isn't that bad, I suppose.
    VW, Subaru, Mazda, BMW ... not many brands still offering manuals these days. Give 'em credit.
    Yeah, I've seen the manual Passat TDIs on the lots here and there, but it's interesting to see a used one pop up. No sunroof or nav available at that trip level, but still a lot of car for the $23k.

Good point on the tank size - most high MPG cars naturally have small tanks, but that Passat will go a far way.

Makes me want a manual E250 diesel (4cyl) - but MBUSA marketers would never let that in. It would almost be like a new old car.
    Americans would call it slow, no?
    edited February 2013
    0-100kmh in 7.7, so competent enough. The 250 series cars are the sweet spot - fast enough, but more efficient than the 350 cars. Overall consumption in whatever cycle they use in Europe is around 45mpg (5l/100km) - in a car of that size, impressive.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Had a short Miami to Ft. Lauderdale day planned and the whole crew was happy as we're booked solid from tomorrow through next Friday with a Jacksonville run Tuesday. But as we were about to leave the chief said he needed us to do another Orlando run afterwards. Brought nothing with me as did most of the others but what the heck...it's more $ so we were off. Everything that could possibly go wrong did and we didn't leave Miami till 4 p m. Hit bumper to bumper rush hour through to West Palm Beach and then the skies opened up. We need the rain terribly so for that I was thrilled but made for a rough drive. had a red Versa hatch and lucked out, a bunch of the others had Fiats and the new Versa sedan and all said they drove like crap in the heavy downpours...hydroplaned everywhere but I didn't have any issues and it was somewhat smooth sailing and for once, I was the first to pull into our Orlando meeting spot.

Needless to say we didn't get back to Lauderdale till after midnight and pulled into my garage at 1:03. Got into bed but still a bit wound up from the drive so decided to check in here. Got paid today and that was a good thing...can't wait to see what extra happens tomorrow. Expect the unexpected is what I'm doing now and I will always take my backpack with me from now on so I am prepared entertainment wise. That aux cable for the ipod works great so far so maybe the sales guy was right when he said it will fit in all the new vehicles. Now to get my new phone which will be...the HTC One Vue, a brand new android model...very slim and supposed to have great sound quality. Checked out the older Iphones from Apple, the 3s and the 4s but decided to go android for my first smart phone. Any thoughts, suggestions?? Watched a co-worker deposit his check at my bank with his smart phone...it was very slick and saved him a trip to the drive thru, something I'm doing in a few hours. It'll be nice to be able to snap a pic and deposit it from now on. Hopefully we'll get home at a decent hour tomorrow so I can go pick it up at Radio Shack.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Entertaining & informative - as usual.
    Thanks!
    Remind me of the outfit you actually work \ contract for?
    Are they local = only in Florida?
    Thanks!
    - Ray
    In my 60s, and on the lookout for a part-time gig...
    2022 X3 M40i
    Yeah, that's definitely not slow.

Have you driven one? Are they responsive? Small displacement must have a little lag.

Last Benz diesel I drove was one generation back, it was quick but had a bit of that lag/then too much when you hit the throttle. I'm sure the BlueTecs are better.
    new Versa sedan and all said they drove like crap

Why did Nissan go backwards?

I hope the Versa Note (5 door) is better than the sedan.
    I've driven the lowest model - E200 CDi, back in 09. It was an early W212 car. A bit slower, 0-60 around 10-11 seconds, I think - felt like driving the old car, you had to plan ahead in some situations. But my average mpg including city crawls and 100+ on the autobahn was ~44mpg, not shabby.
    Fun update, thanks. The Versa is definitely built to a price - had one as a rental a few years ago (booked cheapest category). I got what I paid for. The hatch is the best looker, too - the new sedan just doesn't look right.
    The new sedan is awkward from any angle.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    Is that a 3-door or 5-door?

A 3-door would be right around $16k auction. A 5-door is more like $19k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    Received an email from an NJ dealer offering $25k off a seemingly leftover 2011 550i. Has about 500 miles on it. Sticker was near $80k. :surprise:

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S