Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    One or two of you asked for my impressions of the Jetta GLI I bought last week. I had the opportunity to take it on some back roads earlier today, and I’m still pleased with the car.

VW’s 2.0T is still an excellent engine. At no time did I wish the car had more power. Most of my driving today was at around 5/10ths, and I didn’t feel the need to put the DSG in sport mode or use the paddle shifters. If you’ve never driven VW’s DSG, there is a slight shudder when starting off from a dead stop as the clutch engages. This doesn’t bother me, but it’s different than most cars, and I can see how it would annoy some people. The transmission does upshift fairly early, but the 2.0T has so much torque, it never lugs and it never feels like the car doesn’t want to accelerate. I might use the sport mode if I were driving more aggressively.

The steering is less communicative than the E39 (my E39 was a 540i and therefore had recirculating ball steering, making it less communicative than six cylinder E39s). That said, it’s ideally weighted. There isn’t what I would call torque steer in the conventional sense of the car pulling at the wheel, but if you hammer the throttle, the steering becomes far less precise. I’m sure an aftermarket turbo upgrade to increase the car’s power would make this issue worse. New for 2013 is a button in the center console to disable the stability control. This button is mounted just to the right of the keyless ignition start/stop button. I think this is an ergonomic flaw and would prefer that the start/stop button be mounted closer to its traditional location on the dashboard or in the steering column.

The GTI and uplevel GLI models both come equipped with 18” Dunlop SP Sport 01 A/S tires. These appear to have the same tread pattern as the summer SP Sport 01 tires, with some additional siping to improve snow traction. Tire Rack’s reviews of the all-season tire are not positive, and I particularly don’t look forward to driving in the snow with them. Dry traction is good. I have not yet driven the car in the rain. VW uses the ABS sensors to monitor tire pressure, and there is a reset button in the glove compartment. I assume this system is less precise than using wheel-mounted sensors, but should reduce servicing costs for those who switch between winter and summer tires, as well as the fact that there are no battery powered sensors in the wheels which will eventually have to be replaced. The car rides very solidly. It isn’t as firm as my E39 with its sport suspension, but it’s not soft, either. It doesn’t feeal nearly as heavy as the E39—probably because it isn’t. The bi-xenon headlamps and cornering lamps are excellent.

The interior is very well laid out and the GLI features a soft-touch dashboard. As some reviews have noted, the tops of the door panels are not soft touch. More annoyingly, neither the glove compartment nor the pockets in the doors are lined with felt or rubber to prevent the items inside them from rattling around. (My 1999 Jetta had a felt-lined glove compartment and removable rubber mats in the door panels.) The seats are comfortable and both front seats are heated and feature adjustable lumbar support. They are upholstered in black fake leather with red stitching, and the GLI has a black headliner. VW’s fake leather isn’t as nice as BMW’s. The automatic dual-zone climate control has a feature which will synchronize the temperature of both driver and passenger zones if you wish. When driving alone, this saves you the trouble of adjusting both zones. Bluetooth works well, but the navigation and infotainment system isn’t as sophisticated as the one in the 2013 Altima. Honda’s system in the 2013 Accord blows both Nissan and VW out of the water. The VW navigation system has a small screen and lacks traffic support, but it does display driving directions in the instrument cluster. There is no Pandora integration. A three month SiriusXM subscription is complimentary. Many of the stations sound the same and I am amazed that people will pay around $20 a month for this and then pay an extra fee to be able to listen online—I get far more value out of spending $8 a month for Netflix or $36 per year to remove the ads from Pandora. I will only renew the SiriusXM subscription if I’m offered a substantial discount. Models with navigation have a backup camera, but no parking sensors, blind spot warning, or lane departure warning. Nav models also get a passive entry system and keyless ignition. The trunk is cavernous and there is a full-size spare on a 16” steel wheel inside.

The car is relatively quiet, but suffers from some wind noise. Also, VW installs a “soundaktor” to increase the sound of the engine in the GTI and GLI. It’s an electronic speaker located under the hood next to the firewall. It makes an impressive growl at high RPM, but it also appears to activate at low RPM under load—e.g., when going uphill at 1600 RPM. I plan to disconnect this device and see how the engine sounds without this “enhancement.”

It isn’t perfect, but overall, the GLI is a very enjoyable car to drive. Several years ago, I leased an Audi A4 2.0T Quattro. That remains one of my favorite cars, and there is a lot of that DNA in the GLI. As I have previously posted here, I test drove loaded versions of the 2013 Accord and Altima. I also drove a 2013 GTI before requesting that the dealer locate a GLI for me. The GTI offers a firmer suspension and real leather seats, but lacks the automatic climate control and backup camera of the GLI. Moreover, the GTI costs about $2,400 more. I was particularly impressed with the sales process in that the dealership’s first offer was not that bad, as well as the fact that the sales personnel were very businesslike and didn’t really engage in a lot of idle chatter (“what do you do for a living,” “what don’t you like about your current vehicle,” etc.)

That pretty much sums up my thoughts so far. I’d be glad to entertain any questions.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Punch my card again.

Long story at least somewhat shortened...

Late last week my daughter blew up the engine on the famous 00 Accord. I figured with looking at a junk engine (though with 63K on it) still broke $4K on a car with 271K on the clock. I start hunting landing a couple of nice candidates. The one I really liked out of those was an 04 Mazda 6 wagon with a stick and reasonably nicely loaded with a cloth interior. Gray/gray. Dealer was an hour away.

Well, one look at the picture and she saw wagon and that was a no. Meanwhile, took the other daughter's car over to the same mechanic who still had the Accord and next thing I know I OK the repair. I have it back now and they did a nice job. My daughter really loves the car and I've put her on a payment plan for the repair so she's happy. The stalk to the highbeams needs to be replaced but otherwise the car chugs on. If she gets another two years out of it it was worth it. So that takes care of that.

Unfortunately that Mazda stuck in my head. I asked a buddy in the business about it and he said they wanted too much money. Figuring I have nothing to lose I E-mailed the dealer. Well, actually I had E-mailed him back when I thought I might be putting my daughter in it. Made an offer based on what my buddy said they were they were going for at auction, allowing for the fact that he'd put some money in it and allow him profit. Well, I wake up the morning that I I ended up OKing the Accord repair and the dealer has sent me a "come on over - we can probably make a deal" E-mail. I figure I'm not going that far to dicker and went to the mechanic. I get back home and the dealer had sent another E-mail accepting my offer (I hadn't answered the first E-mail and thought I was off the hook.)

Well, that started pulling at me. I fought it for days but the lure had been set. I bought it today. Gives us 5 cars for 4 people but that is likely only temporary. But maybe not...

I love this thing. I've been in automatic purgatory for a long time. It only has 77K on it and runs like a top. I had lined up a mechanic who checked it out and the only thing he found it needed was a rear wiper blade.

So now I'm poking through the owner's manual because some of the things like the stereo and the clock are not as intuitive as the Honda or Toyota but when you read it it's actually quite logical.

Sorry for the ramble but it's late and I'm fading. Further reports coming. I had my two younger daughters in for the test drive and one of them rode back with me in the 6 while the other opted to go home with my wife.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I am jealous. I love those, but never thought I would see one! If it has a moonroof, perfect.

V6, right? either engine is fine in those, but the 6 is certainly more fun.

I will probably be bummed out to find out what it cost. At least you could have overpaid to make me not feel like I missed out on something!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I have been using the Intergra occasionally, and it is starting to grow on me. Really drives well. Still a bit low slung for me, but I fit. Have to get used to winding out the revs on it so it scoots fine.

In a couple of more weeks, I might even have to put gas in it, for the 2nd time since I bought it in December.

Still would move into something more "comfortable" at some point if it comes along, but i can be patient. Plus, I hope to wait out the kid graduating college in may in the hopes he gets a job, so I can free up the TL too!

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Yeah - those are great. I really liked the hatchback as well. Seems like those wagons are excellent used car buys. Too bad they're not bringing the new 6 wagon to the U.S.

Back in '04 I almost bought a Mazda6 V6 manual - went for the TSX instead, but have always been fond of the 6.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

But of course! 6 cyl and a moonroof. Can't beat it. I've wanted one for as long as they've existed!

Yeah, it's a shame that the new 6 wagon isn't coming to our shores. The pool of cars that I want keeps shrinking! (Not that I need it to expand!)
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    edited February 2013
    Update: My first mod! I disconnected the cable to the "soundaktor" and the engine is almost silent below 3,000 rpm. It's difficult to tell from the sound whether it's a four or a six. The engine no longer growls at low (or high) rpm. I'm going to leave it disconnected for now, but I wish there were some sort of "in between" setting.

I suspect VW tuned the exhaust and intake to be quieter than they normally would have, knowing that they would install this device to create artificial engine noise. With it disconnected, the level of engine noise would be acceptable even in a Lexus.
    Had a couple free hours this afternoon, so the wonderful wife suggested I go drive some hatchback candidates.

Ford Focus (auto) - I'm not so sure what all the fuss is about with the 6-speed auto. It seemed fine to me. Nevertheless, I just couldn't get into it - roadburner summed it up pretty well with saying that the car doesn't have much personality. The rear seat room seems skimpy compared to the competition, and I like the interior overall in the Hyundai much better.

Impreza - surprisingly nice with probably the best rear seat room of the hatch's I've looked at. The 36 MPG (highway) is impressive considering the AWD and a decent amount of pep. I drove it right after the Focus, and the Subaru did seem more engaging. The CVT would take some getting used to, but I suppose that's why it nets the high MPG. Still not a big fan of the exterior styling, but it could grow on me. I'd like the sport model without the roof rails (maybe they're removable).

So at least I crossed the Focus off my list, but the "long-shot" Impreza moved up, so I still have a few hatch's in consideration.

All in all, I'm not in all that much of a hurry, considering the E39 I'd give up, while somewhat redundant with the 335xi I just added, is still more engaging as a second car than any of these cars.

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Congrats on the Jetta. I am impressed with some of VW's latest offerings, especially the Jetta and GTi.

In Canada the GTi tops out at $40k for fully loaded 5 door with DSG and Nav. Even though it's pricey I think it's one of the (if not the) best hatchbacks/sports compacts you can get on the market right now. Even compared to an Audi A3, the GTi just seems like a much better and nicer car.

Enjoy the car!

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Congrats! I love the 6 wagon- wish there was an MS6!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    DI engines clatter a lot, no wonder they synthesize the noise. Still great tech.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The 2.5i Limited doesn't have roof rails. Told ya that back seat was surprisingly roomy. I liked the sedan I test drove.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Fezo,
    Congratulations on the 6/stick/wagon -- quite a find.

I believe that's a V6 -- a friend was interested in these and said there's a nasty problem with the PCV system; something about a valve clogging up, or the oil pick-up clogging, and in the medium term, bye-bye engine.

It sounded like one of those things were forewarned is forearmed, so you may wish to check one of the fan sites and see whether there's anything to it. I really like those as well. What keeps me from Mazda up here in MI is their tendency to rust -- aside from the fact that, like Nissans, they are fairly thin on the ground.

One of these days I'll get my Outback, but I'm really not sold on the need for AWD.

Good luck with the Six. FWD wagon FTW!

Cheers -Mathias
    You were certainly right about that backseat. At 6' 3", I need all the seat travel possible in the driver's seat - in the Impreza, the back seat still had reasonable room for the kids in back with the driver's seat all the way back. In the Focus, the front seat was practically touching the back seat.

My wife, who has a dislike for Subarus, actually likes it. What she really likes is the tangerine orange XV Crosstrek :) . Too bad the XV gets 3 MPG worse than the Impreza - how can that be? Just ride height?

Congrats! I love the 6 wagon- wish there was an MS6!

You and me both!
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Breld, Your ship has come in. You can now be the proud owner of a Jetta Hybrid which from all accounts drives like a euro sedan. High MPG and around 30k. Not a hatch but it has a large trunk with fold down seats. That's the good news. The bad news ? It's a first generation Hybrid from VW --- what could possibly go wrong with all the extra technology ?
    edited February 2013
    I do like those - haven't driven one, but looked at one in the VW showroom recently. I believe, like the GLI, they put some of the nicer materials into the hybrid. And the "SE" model, with an MSRP of $27k, would be fine with me. They have a $25k model, but it's special order only.

First gen hybrid from VW would be a great candidate for a lease, no?

I thought you were holding out for my BILs S2000?

Reminds me, need to check with him to see what ever happened with that. I know I can't afford it!

Based on the high resale of the TDI, it might make more sense to buy -- keep the miles low and sell it in 3 years.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    And today begins a new chapter in my automotive history:

Count me as punched...
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    I need new front brakes and was told that metallic pads are the way to go for less brake dust and better gripping capacity. Is this true? I plan to use my guy at Tires Plus as Midas always up sells me stuff i don't want...it's frickin' annoying but, I think Midas has a lifetime guarantee which might be the better way to go. Can I request metallic pads over what these places usually use? I don't think they use metallic without a request but I have no idea. Please advise as the brakes arer making grinding noises on a hard stop and I drive on 95 daily now!

T I A guys!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

O M G!!! It's stunning Fin, absolutely awesome!!! Now I really want my C Class! Congrats on this new addition, I think y'all will be very happy!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    WOW!

Very nice!

Gonna share the details?

Model?
    Drove a 2013 Ford Escape with a bit over 14k on the clock. I will relate the driving experience another time as I am so happy with Fin's new ride, I want to concentrate on that tonight. Leave for Orlando at 7 so I'm gonna call it a night. Hoping to get something really fun tomorrow! Found out the Jetta don't have sat radio but still want to give one a whirl. Today I lucked out as the Cruze I stopped at was wanted by a nice co-worker so I let her have it. All of a sudden they drove up the Escape and stopped right in front of me so I said...sure! the guy behind me in an 2011 50k mile Camry tried his best to get me to switch but I declined his offer. Turns out it was the right choice...it's sat radio had been disconnected and he said it drove well...old! I know i got the better deal here and I was pleased with the Ford!

P.S. Got my new smart phone last night as the guy had gone to another store to get me this phone. It's an android, a HTC ONE VX...a very nice easy unit. I've been playing wth it all day and love it. Almost got the iPhone 4s but decided I wanted the newer tech and the phone cost me 1 cent...the iPhone 5 was mucho dinero. The Windows phone that my wife has, a Samsung Focus, is o k but I don't like the tiles Windows uses, was very confusing for me. I'm having an easier time with the android system. A treat for myself for going back to work after so long!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, you really did it? Congrats!

(better than a bike too. :shades: )
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    Very nice! Enjoy it!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Thanks. E350 Bluetec. Took advantage of a lease on the outgoing face 2013 models. Last week I saw a special for a P1 pano car, $489 month before negotiation, 24 months, 3700 down, 58K MSRP. Seemed too cheap. I had been thinking about a Bluetec for some time, so today I went in to see if I could get a price I liked. I guess I did :shades:

This car has P2 (keyless go, adaptive lights, auto close trunk, etc), pano, parktronic, lane tracking, power outlet, tiny spoiler. The last few things I didn't really want, but I am picky about color (I wanted white or "diamond silver", which is kind of a bluish silver) and pano - had to take what was available.

MSRP 63K. 3500 down, 24 months, ~560/month. There's an E facelift coming for 2014, so they are blowing them out. I also got Edmunds TMV for my trade (took a little work), so I'll be getting a nice check.

It's kind of a wasteful splurge, but I just had the itch. I also was thinking it was time to cut the cord on the old car - the longer I have it, the harder it will be for me to sell. I'm feeling OK, at least until the first payment :shades:
    Thanks. I think I will be happy too. I like the diesel purr and the way it seems to kind of engine brake at some in-town speeds. It's somewhat of an odd car, which is something I value.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    Looks nice. Would like to hear some mileage reports later on.

Barrier, I'd guess?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Finally, haven't bought a car since 06.

The bike thing is funny - I will be getting a check that would buy me a nice bike. But I doubt I will now. The traffic is just scaring me too much, and now I will have an expense to distract me.
    Thanks!

Oh yeah, my first new car, too. Not a bad way to start, I guess :shades:
    The salesman who sold me the car has a 2012 Bluetec almost identical to mine. He claims up to 40mpg in calm interstate cruising.

Yep. Barrier. They are close to me, and the salespeople have always been nice when I have been kicking tires in the past. I suspect the old car will sell to one of them or a tech - another guy there says he is going to try to buy it.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Congrats on "the punch." It's gorgeous! Mazel-Tov!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I took the liberty of updating the punch list. Congratulations on the Mazda6, it sounds like an entertaining car!
    "DI engines clatter a lot, no wonder they synthesize the noise. Still great tech."

Drove it about 100 miles today with the soundaktor disconnected. I couldn't detect any clatter, but I had the windows up the whole time. The engine was eerily silent, though! :P

I do have concerns about carbon/gunk buildup on the valves of DI engines. It seems like the recommended preventative measures (use of specific oils and top-tier fuels) are crapshoots. I'm not aware of any evidence that they prevent valve deposits in DI engines.
    They had a Jetta Hybrid in the showroom at Swope VW. I don't think you can get much of a discount on them right now. It looks nice and offers a lot of features (like a full-folding back seat) not found in other midsize sedan hybrids other than the Prius. It is supposed to be a sportier drive than the Prius, Camry Hybrid, Optima Hybrid, etc., but they use 205mm wide low rolling resistance tires on all models, so there may not be a lot of grip to work with.

I'm seeing ~30 MPG on the trip computer in the GLI.
    Congrats on the Mazda6 Wagon my friend!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Also updated the punch list for your lease. Did you trade the AMG?
    Find out what the oem brake pads were when your car was new. Let that be your guide. Another issue is the rotors. I know on my 02 Concorde, it was almost the same price to buy a set new as opposed to having them turned.
    edited February 2013
    Thanks. I am sure you think I should have kept the E55 - but I was starting to fear if I really held on to it, I would become too attached, and end up with a second fintail. I am trying not to be upset about saying goodbye. I think this was for the best. I know it will go to a good home, and won't be abused/bored by my drudgerous commute.

I also like the diesel noise and sensation, and the car is beautifully finished and fairly pretty. Maybe I will buy it at lease end.
    Yes. They offered a fair enough price (they aren't easy cars to sell), and I know 2 salesman want it. Many of the salespeople there are enthusiasts (the one who sold me the car has driven only MB for 30 years, the one who arranged some other details owns 3 and has had them for years), so it will go to someone who understands it. It's too old for their used lot, too old and weird to do well at auction, but would be a shame to have sit on some shady used lot. I don't think it will hit the market.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    I believe I saw this very car a week or so ago when I was out at Barrier. My Volvo was getting serviced at their Volvo dealer, so my wife and I drove over to the Mercedes dealer.

Very nice! Congrats!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    I can't fault you at all fin tail. You made the right move. You owned the car for a while and it was time to part ways. I'm sure you'll LOVE the diesel's torque. I had a BMW 335d a few months ago when my 328xi was in for service and I LOVED the way the diesel drove. If they'd have somehow offered it with X-Drive, I'd be planning my purchase right now.

You'll most likely be able to see that D350 for more than the residual value when your lease is up. Diesels hold their value extremely well.

Thanks. I know my car was at the holding lot out behind the Audi dealer today - but there were 2 other W212 white pano cars on site.

My first Barrier experience, hope it goes well. The benefits seem good - car washes, checkups, nice facility, etc. A couple salesman there have said I should work there - as I know the cars pretty well, but I don't know if I could do it.
    It's very good off the line, and merging onto a highway is effortless. I took it for about a 20 mile test drive, the engine never works hard. I liked the fairly constant mechanical/exhaust noise of the E55 - now I get some occasional diesel noise, which also pleases me. I am sure I will feel good, still running on adrenaline here. I do love the tech on the car, the cool lights, good stereo, pano, HD nav, camera, etc.

Also a lot smoother and relaxed ride, being on 17" wheels with normal tires. The E55 was a rough rider.

I forget what residual they gave it, but it was high, hence the cheapish lease. It'll be pretty mint when the lease is up, will have to see what happens then.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    Actually my only complaint about them thus far is that, as a service customer who bought their Volvo at "another dealer," they did make me feel a bit like a second class citizen. They didn't quite comprehend that I had relocated from 3000 miles away and wanted to give them all of my service business now that I live in the Seattle area.

I had planned to buy some accessories for the car that day (rubber floormats etc) from them, but I was left a bit soured by my encounter with the service folks so I decided against it.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Congrats Fin! This has to be like the 10th Benz you bought! You have the fintail, had the E55, the older S Class. Heck you should have gotten a super loyalty rebate too! :shades:

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

Oh, that stinks. I can't blame you for that. Do you live on the eastside or in Seattle? I think there's a couple Volvo dealers in the city.
    Thanks. Not so many, but a loyalty gift wouldn't be rejected. Oh yeah, I have to go back and get a set of rubber floormats I was promised.

I've had fintail, W126, C43, E55, and now this. Fintail is a sentimental piece, I loved the W126 as it was such a beautiful classy machine, C43 was cool but I didn't "bond" with it, was very comfortable in the E55 but I think my emotion will fade, and now the Bluetec.