Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, I checked out the CT at the Auto Show, not even big enough for me to ask the kids to sit back there.

I think the Prius c has more room, seriously.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    edited February 2013
    The Jetta SportWagen has a nice panoramic sunroof. As I said in an earlier post, it's based on the last generation Golf platform, and you might consider a Golf TDI instead to get the newer platform. That said, my favorite color combination is a navy blue car with a beige or ivory interior, and this appears to be available on the JSW.

If she's seriously interested in the JSW, just drive one, and then tell the dealer you're ready to buy except you want one that's a different color and/or trim level. Unlike BMWs, there aren't many options beyond the trim level, so they can probably locate one from another dealer. That's what they did with my GLI.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,134
    edited February 2013
    Can't put normal tires on an E55 without a wheel change, which would be pricey and look dumb.

The new car has a black interior, which was the biggest compromise along with a few options I didn't really want. They claimed to have looked through national inventory, and no car exists exactly how I wanted it. Oh well. I wanted "almond" or the light grey ("ash", I think). The pano helps a lot - the dark grey on dark grey E55 was kind of gloomy.

I saw a "quartz blue" E350 gas this morning. If I could find a loaded quartz blue on almond Bluetec car after the lease is up, I might buy it - it should be in my price range by then. I like that color, kills me that they discontinued it.
    Not to 100 miles yet, but I love it so far. The low speed clatter is kind of charming to me, reminds me of an old car. I get the best of both worlds - old car noise, new car tech.

This thing wouldn't have been in my price range without the sweetheart lease. Ideally, I would like a C250 diesel - but they just aren't here yet. The E is a bit of a barge and a little bigger than I really want, but I am not complaining.
    Curious - is it heavier than the car you traded?

Must be bigger, right? 2 generations of upsizing.
    500 lbs heavier, probably a couple inches wider and a few inches longer, too. The idea of cramming a motorcycle and car into my parking spot might have to be abandoned.
    Why? Bet it could park itself and still avoid hitting the bike. :shades:
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Going from 18 to 30 mpg for the amount you drive will take forever to pay off in swapping rides. Getting a 50 mpg hybrid makes a bit more sense. Don't get rid of the Mazda because of the mpg if it's running good. Get rid of it because you want a new car and better mpg is important. Unless you really want a diesel because you like them, be careful. The fuel is higher and after warranty, maintenance[VW] will eat into your savings vs gas. When all is said and done, do what feels right and keep everyone informed.

Absolutely; those are all good points. I've given this some thought. Key metrics:

Fuel cost per month - at the moment, PUG is $3.60/gal and ULSD is about $4/gal. Assuming 15K per year (1250 per month) and 20 MPG for the Mazda and 35 MPG for the VW, we'd spend $225/mo on gas for the Mazda and $143/mo for diesel.

Payment - yes, we're upside down on the Mazda. However, the dealer where I get the Mazda serviced at also carries VW, so I might be able to get them to overallocate on the trade value if it helps them move a new unit. Wife will be more inclined to get a new car if I can reduce the monthly nut, even by a little bit. Would have to talk to the dealer about that.

Also, I've been working on my debt and, as a result, my credit score is now between 750-780, so I might also get a cheaper rate on the loan.

Insurance - need to call my agent to see what the cost of coverage would be for the VW. I figure about the same, but perhaps going from an SUV to a car might help a bit.

I mentioned leasing, but the unknown is the number of miles per year she'd drive for the job. Plus, we'd also use the car for any road trips, so leasing is probably a non-starter.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    Speaking of wagons, did you guys see the the new Auris Touring heading to Geneva? Looks a lot sleeker than a Prius V, that's for sure.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Impreza Premium with the all-weather package/moonroof/alloys would be a good value for her. Or a Sport model, those have the AWP standard.

The Elantra GT I test drove might fit the bill, I think a couple of colors have a beige leather/two-tone. Pano roof is nice.

Toss in all the fun hatches - VW GTI/TDI, Mazda3, Focus, too.

She didn't like the looks of the Impreza, though she does like the Crosstek (25/33). She's never test driven a CVT, so I'd be curious how she felt about it.

Elantra GT - for some reason, Hyundai and Kia are out. Don't ask me why.

Fun hatches - yep, I've shown her the Golf TDI and she's already driven the Mazda 3i GT hatch (with SkyActiv).

I'm having a hard time getting her to move to a car .. she's been driving small SUVs for the last 8 or 9 years, and she likes the visibility of them. That's why she's pushing for a smaller SUV (Juke, Countryman).

I priced out a FWD Countryman and managed to add $5K to the $26K base price.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Breld -- no disrespect to Subaru, but didn't you have issues with the Audi A5 ? Do you think you will be happy in a Subaru ? I could see an A3 [awd & TDI]-- there are still some low mileage CPO's or even new around. A few years ago, I looked at the A3 but never got serious. The one thing I loved was the seat and driving position. The hatch was a plus as well. People compare them to the GTI but I checked them both and found a very different ambiance. A Honda EX-L AWD would be a safe buy re resale -- never drove one but folks seem to like them. I admire your restlessness when it comes to cars. Good luck.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    edited February 2013
    So ... what to do?

GTI mit der DSG?

My wife and I liked the Countryman, but we were more than a little put off by our MINI dealer. We also noticed that there were more than a few used Countrymen for sale with very low mileages. In fact, one Countryman we were looking at sold- and then was returned a day later. Hmmm... Not long after we bought the CPO 3er Automobile, Car and Driver, and Road&Track all published the results of their long term tests of the Countryman. The evaluations were ambivalent at best:

Automobile: Few were sad to see the Mini go.

Car and Driver: We just wish the Countryman could keep its footing better in rapid transitions—and had fewer rattles and squeaks. Those who want a Mini for family use will perhaps forgive the relative slow-wittedness, but the rattles and creaks don’t seem appropriate for a so-called premium vehicle. Maybe Mini’s next revolution should be in the area of interior fitments.

Road&Track: Mini mediocrity.

All of which is a roundabout way of saying that my wife and I do not regret buying a 2009 CPO 328i for less than the price of a new Countryman with relatively few options...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Here is a column I wrote a couple of years ago discussing trading cars to save money on fuel:

DON'T PANIC!- With talk of $5.00/gallon gasoline making headlines I thought I should revisit and update an issue I discussed about one year ago. I'm already starting to hear "screamer" ads on television and radio telling people to "TRADE IN YOUR OLD GAS GUZZLER FOR A NEW XYZ MOTORS SEDAN- WITH 40 MPG ECONOMY!!!" And I'm sure you've heard people say, "Gas prices are eating me alive, I just have to buy a new car."
    The fact of the matter is, high fuel prices are no excuse for making a poor automotive purchasing decision. The last time gas prices spiked I remember people were buying those terribly mediocre Smart cars for list price- or even higher. These "shrewd" buyers were then stuck on a waiting list- and by the time their Smart car arrived gas prices had settled down and they were stuck with a tiny car that really wasn't suited for anything more than urban commuting. That is why I always say that you have to do the math.
    Here's an example: I recently found a very nice 2010 Mini Cooper for sale. It had less than 10,000 miles on the odometer and had every option I wanted. The Mini gets 39 mpg while my 2007 Mazda averaged about 23 mpg. After doing a little research I determined that I could probably get the Mini by trading in my Mazda and paying $10,000. Great deal, right? An almost-new car that gets 15 more mpg for "only" $10,000. As it turns out, running the numbers showed that it wasn't a great deal. Let's assume gas is $5.00 per gallon and that I drive 20,000 miles per year. The Mazda's annual fuel cost will be $4,348 while the Mini would use $2,564 worth of gas- an annual savings of $1,784. Fantastic! The only problem is the fact that I have to pay $10,000 in order to "save" that money. Dividing the purchase cost by the annual fuel savings shows that I would have to drive the Mini for 5.6 years before I actually started saving money. And if I drove 15,000 miles per year I would have to drive the Mini for almost 7.5 years just to break even! Also note that I'm not taking into account the cost of interest on a car loan, increased insurance costs, or higher property taxes due to the Mini being a newer vehicle. As it turns out, I started utilizing some smart driving habits and discovered that I was able to increase the Mazda's average fuel economy to 27 mpg- which at $5.00 per gallon saves me $644 outright. Now, I'm certainly not saying that you shouldn't consider a vehicle's fuel efficiency when buying a new or used car, but I AM saying that trading a car solely to save money on fuel costs almost never makes financial sense.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

did you guys see the the new Auris Touring

They should replace the Matrix with that here IMHO.
    I'd take an XV over a Juke (ugly, way too small) or a FWD Countryman ($$$, FWD?).

Fitzgerald Subaru in Gaithersburg (MD) has the 2014 Forester in their showroom right now. No test drives yet, and it's not for sale.

I keep mentioning Subarus but that's because I like cars and she's leaning toward a crossovers, well Subies are the most car-like ones out there...
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,899
    RB,
    I had that same discussion with someone not that long ago. I had to show them the numbers, in order to make them believe buying a more FE car didn't make any sense.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Here is a column I wrote a couple of years ago discussing trading cars to save money on fuel:

Oh yes, I remember this article well. The wife has said that the amount of money we are underwater with the Mazda would buy a lot of gas.

However ---- we will just have to wait and see where this all leads.

FACT: Her new job is paying 20% less than the one she is leaving.
    FACT: The Mazda takes PUG and I've insisted that we stick with Shell V-Power.

Theoretical budgets don't survive well when you're shelling out $50-65 in real money for each tank.

The tipping point may come if we have to fill the tank more than once every 7 days. Given that the commute itself will be 220 miles per week, that doesn't leave a lot of range for the other incidental driving she will have to do.

If - and it's a big if - I can get her into a more fuel efficient ride for less than we're paying now for the Mazda - payment, insurance, fuel - then we might do the deal.

May not happen now. May happen 6 months from now - when she thinks its the better course of action.

And, she may decide that a "regular" car (Mazda 3i GT, for example) might fit the bill.
    I'd take an XV over a Juke (ugly, way too small) or a FWD Countryman ($$$, FWD?).

Fitzgerald Subaru in Gaithersburg (MD) has the 2014 Forester in their showroom right now. No test drives yet, and it's not for sale.

I keep mentioning Subarus but that's because I like cars and she's leaning toward a crossovers, well Subies are the most car-like ones out there...

The last time she test drove a Subaru was 2005, I think. Test drove both the NA Outback and the Outback XT - she loved the power of the XT but, at the time, wasn't keen on the fact it took PUG.

Now look where we are .... :D

While she is not a lead foot, she likes having a large stable of ponies available, which doesn't help fuel economy. I was surprised that she felt the 155HP 2.0L SkyActiv engine was peppy enough for her.

Her last 3 daily drivers have been an '05 VUE (250 HP Honda 3.5L V6), '08 VUE (257 HP 3.6L V6) and the current '10 CX-7 (244 HP 2.3L turbo 4).

Does the new Forester still have the 2.5L engine? Will it have a CVT? Might be an OK compromise.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    Breld -- no disrespect to Subaru, but didn't you have issues with the Audi A5 ? Do you think you will be happy in a Subaru ?

Well, the only issue I had with the A5 was it wasn't a BMW, so I took care of that by trading it on the 335 :) .

All in all, my 530i as my second car is in most ways nicer than any of these cars I'm looking at - it's just that once I bought the 335, I have 2 sporty BMW sedans, each with a different character but much more alike than they are dissimilar. With the luxury of splitting time between two cars, I'd rather have more variety.

So, took some time at lunch today for some contrasting test drives.....

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    Honda CR-V - great car for the easy, comfortable drive and roominess, but felt like I was driving my Odyssey. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but not what I'm looking for.

Mazda CX-5 - I intentionally drove one with the 2.0l as opposed to the newly available 2.5l to see if I'd be okay with it (and save some money). Certainly could use some more power, but I much preferred it to the CR-V in any case. Felt much more like a larger hatchback versus a small SUV.

Mazda3 - drove the MT a few months ago, but wanted to see how I'd like it with an auto. Still a great hatch, but I think my strong preference for it had a lot to do with the slick-shifting manual. Apples to apples, I didn't think it drove all that much better than the Elantra GT, so I think I'd take the fresher look of the Hyundai if I went for a traditional hatchback. Now, I wasn't pushing it very hard, so maybe the Mazda's chassis is better at their limits, but for "normal" everyday driving, the Hyundai seemed just as tossable.

XV Crosstrek - knowing full well it's just a raised Impreza, I nevertheless wanted to see how I'd like it. It's certainly quirky (in a Subaru way), but I like the look of it - it fits right in with all these mini-SUVs around. I won't be off-roading or anything like that, but the step-in height, as well as the load height at the hatch are welcome. For the most part, it's a nice drive, performing like the small hatch that it is, but there are definitely situations where the drivetrain strains to get up to speed. I didn't bother with the shift paddles - so that probably would have helped.

Impreza - for direct comparison I also drove the "regular" Impreza. Obviously drives pretty much the same, but like I said, for about a $1k premium, I think I'd go with the Crosstrek.

So, ruled out the CR-V for sure. Surprisingly, I may have ruled out the Mazda3 in favor of the Hyundai if I go that route. But the CX-5 is definitely my favorite, with the XV Crosstrek not too far behind.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    How many miles did you get per year? If the c250 is available with bluetec when my lease is up I'd definitely consider it. Not sure if/when it's showing up though.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    edited February 2013
    Well, it was time for the four year service for my 2009 Bentley Continental GTC, 11,000 miles. The service light said 'service now'. With only 11,000 miles on the odometer, I was not expecting to have a 'big' service done but they of course recommended it.

The service included changing the spark plugs (12 cylinder), radiator flush, differential oil change, engine oil change, all filters including air filters, etc. Total cost $2,200. It was recommended that I change the tires too as the fronts were down to the wear bars. Bentley service flubbed up and didn't rotate them at 5,000 miles. The Pirelli racing tires only have a 15,000 mile life max. The rears were acceptable but the front were too worn to be put on the rear.

So, tire shopping I went! The replacement Pirelli tires were $494 each at the dealer, $380 at America's Tire (zero mile warranty)... and Michelin's were $282 each with a 45,000 mile warranty so that's what I had put on. WOW, the difference is amazing, so smooth. The worn Pirelli's were causing the car to follow the grooves in the road and I didn't realize how bad until driving with the new Michelins.

She's like new again! :blush:

Mark156

PS. Fintail.... CONGRATS on the new Mercedes! :D
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    Ouch! Radiator flush is probably due after four years (as well as brake fluid, if it's never been done), but the diff fluid change seems a little questionable.

I like Michelin tires but I'm surprised they were less expensive! Glad you're still enjoying the Bentley.
    the diff fluid change seems a little questionable.

Agreed; my track rats only get the transmission and differential oil changed every 30,000 miles- and my street cars wait 60,000 miles between changes...

• mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    edited February 2013
    I pulled the invoice out of the glove box...
    Four year maintenance:
    -Engine oil and filter change
    -Radiator fluid check/change
    -Wiper blades
    -Remote key battery change
    -Pollen filters (2)
    -Air filters
    -Spark plugs
    -Brake fluid change
    -check brake pads (OK)

Labor $1,140
    Parts $1,050
    Sub total $2,190
    Taxes $83.81
    Total $2,273

My mistake, no differential fluid change. He must have said brake fluid change and I misunderstood. My bad. :sick:

Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Does MB offer free maintenance for 4 years like BMW does (at least here BMW does). I can imagine this will be better on gas than your E55 and probably cheaper to operate maintenance wise. If you add up your monthly costs you might even be ahead in terms of costs compared to your E55. :shades:

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

Yeah, speed was never a high priority for me. I just wanted enough power to be comfortable passing when needed, to safely make left turns, etc.

With our restricitve speeding laws I'm not keen to get caught although I like the power when I need it. Today when driving with my wife I mentioned how much I enjoy the 328 every time I get behind the wheel. Just the power and handling to pass others and avoid hazards without losing control and that solid feel of the car.

Our new speeding laws in British Columbia basically let the cops impound your car for a week (you pay impound and storage fees + ticket) if you get caught speeding 40km/h (25mph) over limit. With our artifically low speed limits and a ton of speed traps it's easy to get busted just being in a rush.

I like MB's ash interiors. The color holds up very well over time.

$2k is not so bad for a Bentley 4 year service if you don't drive it much.

I remember when working at Ferrari last year and seeing people's bills for a timing belt change on pre F430 models (360 Modena, 355, 348). It was a week long $20k job because the engines had to be dropped and while the engine was out a bunch of other preventitive maintenance was done as well.

Yes, the 2014 Forester will keep the FB25 engine and now gets a CVT.

The FB25 is nice - timing chain, separate coolant flow to the heads, and easy access oil filter at the top of the engine. Could use DI to make a bit more power, though.

32mpg highway for the AWD model will be best in class.
    the CX-5 is definitely my favorite

The new 2.5l model is nearly as efficient as the 2.0l, which I found made lots of noise when you floored it but few results. Go for the big engine - why else go Zoom Zoom at all?

Pile 4 people and luggage and then drive up a steep incline and it's going to struggle getting up.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    the CX-5 is definitely my favorite

The new 2.5l model is nearly as efficient as the 2.0l, which I found made lots of noise when you floored it but few results. Go for the big engine - why else go Zoom Zoom at all?

Can the 2.5 be had with 3 pedals?
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    Yikes. Short spark plug life, and the tires make me wince - although given the size and profile, not too surprising. Guess you gotta pay to play :shades:

The new car has runflats, which many loathe (no spare, thanks to "bluetec" occupying the tire well), but the sidewall height makes a world of difference compared to the old low profiles. I bet they'll last more than ~22K miles, too.
    Nope, but I prepaid the maintenance into the lease - half price if you do it that way. So either way, I am pretty much just making the lease payment and fuel, as tires and brakes should be OK for 20K miles. The peace of mind is worth something. E55 had been solid for the past few years, but I was always a little worried about it coughing up a window regulator/suspension part/transmission etc. Insurance is equal, gas might not be huge as I don't do a big mileage, but the tech is worth something. Drove it to work early this morning, headlights are amazing.
    edited February 2013
    I only did 10K/yr - I live close to work. I will make up the rest with road trips.

We'll be getting the E250 next year, the C250 seems like a no-brainer - I hope. Smaller and lighter, so quicker - cheaper too.
    No, only the 2.0 comes with a manual, I believe.
    The new car has runflats, which many loathe

Interesting - Sienna owners hate them.

How is ride quality? I'm guessing M-B would engineer the suspension to accommodate that.

Also, what about replacement cost? Won't be cheap, then again neither were the AMG tires I bet.
    Can the 2.5 be had with 3 pedals?

No - only the FWD Sport with the 2.0 SkyActiv engine can be had with a stick.

However, the Mazda automatic is actually a nice transmission ... does drop down a gear without prompting under specific circumstances.
    Compared to the relatively harsh E55, it rides like it is on a cloud. Seems identical to the gas E350 I drove months ago, which had conventional tires I think. I bet they are cheaper than the $1300 set the E55 needed a few years ago
    I dunno, run flats on a Sienna run $800+ a set, and I'm sure yours are better and more expensive.

A co-worker just spent $1030 on tires for an A3. Ouch.

Mine were $360 installed but I got a close-out deal. :shades:
    Interesting - Sienna owners hate them.

Ditto for a large segment of BMW owners. That said, my wife's 3er came with Conti run-flat summer tires. When I bought winter tires and wheels I chose the BMW Approved Blizzak RFTs. The ride may be a bit more brittle than with "go-flats", but not to an objectionable degree. The jury is still out with respect to wear of either set.

edited February 2013
    Sadly, I don't even remember what model of tire is on the car :shades: Only 17" wheels though. Hopefully in 20K they will still be fine. I don't see the ride quality being a problem. It's not a sports car.
    17"s...so I'm sure you actually have some sidewall. Rare nowadays. :D
    edited February 2013
    17"s...so I'm sure you actually have some sidewall. Rare nowadays.

The CX-7 has 19"s .. fortunately, with 28K on them they still seem to have a decent amount of tread life left.

I'm figuring about $1K for a replacement set when the time comes.

EDIT - Discount Tire offers 9 different choices (235-55/19). Starting at $200 per tire and going up to $304/tire.
    Yikes. And sadly that's not nearly as high as it goes nowadays.
    Sidewall, I don't mind it. I'll still dodge manholes and potholes, but normal bumps and ruts won't kill me.

The wide rears on the E55 were ~$350 apiece, before installation.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    At 21,000 miles plus, I can not tell for sure
    if they will need to be replaced before
    lease end.....
    They ride OK, given 40 & 35 series Z-rated,
    as well as runflats.
    - Ray
    $1,400+ at tirerack.com
    2022 X3 M40i
    I'm hoping that's for the set. ;)
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Yes, set of 4 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP ...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Buy a cheap tire gauge or stop at a tire store and you can tell what tread is left. Remember, a month before your lease is up, you can check with other dealers on the best turn in deal. Some may want to charge you for tires and some may want the car as is if it has good resale potential.