Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Exactly...the almost 2.5 years that I was retired, I put maybe 500 miles on the Civic. Now my commute is 50 miles every day I do work. But the car just hit 37.4k so I'm doing o k and on track to purchase again in 2017. Gonna keep this puppy until at least 85k or give it to my son in a couple of years if he still wants it...and he does!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited March 2013
    Finally have a smart phone, an HTC ONE VX, and it's very cool. Not sure how to sync my music to it yet but my stereo is stock so even if the music goes on my phone, I'm still so outta luck here. Oh well. Just don't want to do anything quite yet so I'll just stay the course as usual! Will go see the stereo guy any ways to see what could be done the easiest, most economical way as it would be really cool to just plug in the iPods I have...my kid gave me her two since she has a Mac and an iPhone5...she has better stuff than I do but she deserves it and works hard!

The Tech Challenged Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    For comparison at opposite ends of the spectrum, one of my son's friend's father got a 2011 328xi at the end of Feb last year (about 3 weeks before I got mine). We were chatting after a school event & I asked him about his car. He loves it, but wishes he could drive it more. After 1 year he has a whopping 4,000 miles on it. He says to me: "How about you?"

"I'm up over 19,000."

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Install Pandora on it and play around with that. Customized to your taste with no commercials.

Make sure you have an unlimited data plan. If the phone allows it, use wi-fi when you're at home so you don't gobble up your high-speed data allowance.

You tend to drive newer cars so almost all of them will soon offer Pandora support.
    Use wi-fi at home but have a very limited data plan, AT&T's lowest one. I don't use the internet that often but wanted the GPS capability while on the road at work. Looked into a family data plan and it's outrageous so we were advised to keep what we got and if the other two get smart phones eventually, we'll just get 'em a plan like mine. My wife and other daughter are grandfathered in with cheap ones so we're staying put. Have already had a data usage problem so keep it off most of the time as instructed by she who must be obeyed.
    But the phone is cool and pretty easy to use and am still happy I did not get the iPhone4s. HTC makes a great phone.

Big image warning, but yeah, look how much bigger the screen is:

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/reviews/120075-image/Apple-iPhone-5-vs-HTC-On- e-X-010.jpg
    I compared them and just went with the android. I asked the phone guy I deal with what would work best for a tech challenged guy like myself and he said to go android. I've been back to see him about 4 times already for help and to undo some stuff I did. Got a nice case for it so I don't scratch the screen as it's in my backpack a lot as I take it every day to work to carry maps, cords, iPods, etc. I bought it at an Eddie Bauer store in 2004 at the White Plains mall in Westchester and it's held up all these years...I'd be lost without it!

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    I have to say that your test drive narratives are amazing. They speak to everyday drivers in a way that the auto mags don't. You ought to work at Motor Trend and put in your 2 cents after the biased writers do their usual techno bull. A great example is the Chysler 200 which has been bad mouthed to death by the press. A regular guy like yourself was impressed with the ride and comfort. They are blowing out the Limited editions for the low 20's. Didn't think to test drive one after all the criticism but wanted AWD so probably not an issue. Congrats on finding something to do that gets you excited. I've got a hobby that does the same.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Overall, I'm a big believer in buying used. If you do it right it's generally the best choice, economically, compared to buying new (obviously) or leasing. In fact, I realized that all five of our cars now were purchased used.

But sometimes you just want the newest model, and that steers you to new. I'm beginning to warm up to leasing in that situation. I may try that out with the next acquisition.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Install Pandora on it and play around with that. Customized to your taste with no commercials.

I thought I read somewhere recently that Pandora is going to restrict the free service to 40 hours per month.
    Funny, I think I come across as sloppy and too wordy actually! But the 200 is an amazing vehicle that Chrysler doesn't advertise enough...it's a real sleeper and as good or not better than the Camcord twins in my opinion. For a very competitive price, it checks all the right buttons and should be a top seller really! I still prefer the imports but I really think the domestics know how to produce world class vehicles that the public will buy but they have to be consistent and not cheap out like they usually do. Folks want to buy imports, the domestics need to find the key to the magic!

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    I understand the V6 200 is a sleeper bargain, but I have one issue - the looks. If it got a reskin, it could really get going.

I am leery of streaming music to my car for one reason - inconsistent wireless data coverage. Nothing irks me more than having something pause/buffer or fail because of a sketchy signal.
    They updated about half of it, but the other half is still from Chrysler before they started putting more effort in to their products.

My dad has the 200C, which is based on that sedan.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Overall, I'm a big believer in buying used. If you do it right it's generally the best choice, economically, compared to buying new (obviously) or leasing. In fact, I realized that all five of our cars now were purchased used.

I agree, my Wrangler, X3, and 328i were all bought used- and CPO in the case of the BMWs. Once when a Ford Focus ad comes on I said to my wife, "I really blew it! we could have bought a brand-new Focus Titanium for what we paid for your 2009 3 Series!" :P

But sometimes you just want the newest model, and that steers you to new.

It wasn't so much I wanted something new as it was the fact that they weren't available used; my Club Sport was one of a run of @300 and I wanted a specific set of options. The 2007 Mazdaspeed3 was in its first year of production(in retrospect, that should have told me something). If I decide to go with an Abarth I'm pretty much locked into a 2013 if I want heated seats, as that was not an option on the 2012 cars.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    I'm really fighting with myself about the Fiesta ST that will be available in a few more months. While I really want one, I keep thinking that maybe I should hold off another year and see about getting one used....

Then I remember the intended market and I know that would be a terrible idea! :sick:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    "The other thing, is that the darn thing rattles all over - it rattles like the doors and hatch are going to fall off. I thought maybe it was limited to their car, but a co-worker has one that I rode in the other day it rattles like crazy, too."

I suspected poor sound insulation when I saw that the rear wheel area of the Juke had no wheel well liners.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    edited March 2013
    I am leery of streaming music to my car for one reason - inconsistent wireless data coverage. Nothing irks me more than having something pause/buffer or fail because of a sketchy signal.

That's my problem with it too. Particularly since I live in a fairly rural area. Get a few miles out of town and 3g/4g isn't available over a large part of my driving area and streaming along with Nav on the phone (at least from google anyway) can be nonexistent or extremely frustrating.
    "I thought I read somewhere recently that Pandora is going to restrict the free service to 40 hours per month."

They are, even on mobile devices. Previously, you could listen on your computer for free up to 40 hours per month but an unlimited amount on mobile devices. Also, the free service has brief advertisements every 15 minutes or so. If you pay $36 per year for the premium service, there are no time restrictions or ads. Well worth it for me.
    I guess it was too good to last.

Pretty soon there will be tons of commercials and they'll have fees. :sick:
    Yes - certainly sometimes you just have to buy new to get what you want (first year of a new model, specific options/colors, etc.). And when you're buying something in, let's say, the $20k's, you're obviously not losing out too badly. I couldn't find a 6-speed 4 door GTI when I was looking, so I went new, and spent maybe $3-4k more than a used (if there had been one).

Now, luxury cars? I've bought two of them new, and don't think I'll ever do that again. My 2007 530xi was new - and granted, I wanted sport and manual, so justified going new, but someone sure got a good deal when they bought it from me 3 years later.

At least I learned from that - the 335xi I just bought was around $20k less than new, which I was actually considering for a few insane days.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Then I remember the intended market and I know that would be a terrible idea!

A great point. I would think a WRX is like this too; probably better to just buy that one new.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Moving on ....

Just had lunch with the wife; we started talking about other alternatives to the CX-7, now that the Juke is out of the picture.

New candidates include Volvo wagons and SUVs (V50, XC60 and XC70) and the Mazda CX-5. The Volvos would have to be 'pre loved' in order to get it in our price range. She'd be OK with a wagon, but since she's been driving SUVs for 12 out of the past 15 years, she might find it hard to go back to something that doesn't have a commanding view of the road.

What we would really like, we've decided, is a hybrid SUV or wagon. I still think she should take a closer look at the Jetta SportWagen with the TDi.
    Drove a black one yesterday with 4 miles on the clock...it was a base model but it did have a hole in the roof which I made good use of. Had an aftermarket one many years ago and it really sucked big time but thinking that one that was from the manufacturer would be much better though I'm sure there can still be issues. Maybe on my next ride as all this talk about cop has me thinking. Since I really do want a "wow' vehicle next go round, this might be the way to actually get what I want for a better price though the other half would not be pleased as she only likes new...in everything. I could do pre-owned if the right vehicle came along that really floated my boat. And into luxe seem to put that extra kick in my step. Econo cars are fine and get the job done for me but whenever I see a 328i or a C Class, I imagine how much fun it would be to have one in the garage that was mine. I know that once I did get it, the wife would come around and actually want to drive it. So, I'll always keep my eyes open and especially when I am ready to purchase down the road, I'll make sure to have the $ in the account. As I've mentioned, we both buy our own vehicles through the generosity of parents/grandparents gifts. Soon I'll be able to buy that new C Class but that just isn't me...hell, I won't buy a new t v because the older 27" is still in great condition and it would be a waste to me. So there's no way that I'm gonna trade my perfectly good Civic unless my son really needs a car. Then all bets are off and we'll see what does end up at the house.

Drove a 2012 Fusion on the 2nd trip and it's an adequate vehicle but nothing exciting like the Maxima was. It did it's job safely and smoothly but it just felt a bit off, it's hard to put it into words what I mean but it isn't a drivers car like the Maxima was. Man, it had plenty of power for passing and it was quite comfortable with grippy soft fabric. Don't see the need for the Altima and the Maxima really as the price points probably overlap a bit. The dash looks mini Infinitiish and controls were where they were supposed to be. I'd never purchase such a car, just too big for me, but I can see why I do see so many of them on the roads down here. Nissan is a very good car company with vehicles people really seem to like and I really don't think Honda's and Toyota's are that much better even though they seem to sell in greater numbers.

Was curious as to inventory of 2014 Foresters at the nearby Subaru dealer.

Checked on-line and all were in-transit, but there was one with an MSRP of $37,386!

Holy cow, that's an expensive Forester. Obviously that's for an XT model with all the options. No other (non-luxury) manufacturer offers such an engine in a small SUV, but some of those technology options that boost that price are available on cheaper models, like the CX-5.

Those basically drive themselves, with EyeSight.

A loaded Equinox was $39k at the DC auto show and that was 2 years ago!

According to cars101 you can get a turbo Forester with navi and leather for 33.8k. I wish they'd upgrade their Nav interface, though.
    At my daughters house over night here in Greenacres Florida and went to the Welli abngton Mall for a bite to eat and saw a few vehicles on display. All the doors of a Verano were open but couldn't get the driver door to unlock. Still, sitting in the passenger seat was very impressed with the nice interior and dash which looks so much better than the similar one in the Cruze. They are such similar vehicles but the Buick seems to be the better car...can't wait till I get some seat time in one. They also had a Imprezza hatch with a CVT tranny. Very nice inside and out from what I could see and not too badly priced actually. This model had over $2k of unnecessary options but the base price was just under $21k, a very competitive price. Mileage was 25/36 with an average of 30...very much in the acceptable range for an all wheel drive vehicle. And it looked pretty good also with the white pearl paint. I really liked the hatch design and could liv with this as a d d depending on how the car drove. I really want a quiet vehicle next time, not that the Civic is that loud but I wouldn't mind it if it were a quieter automobile. I really did like the Suby and will definiteyt put it on my short list. And the hatch is a very versatile setup and did enjoy the Datsun hatch I had many years ago.
    Vehicles just seem to be getting better and better which is a bonus for we the consumer. I was telling my kid that I'm going for a to have a difficult time when I do have to decide on what to drive next. I like almost everything I do drive and I just have to come to terms with how much I want to spend and if I decide to go the preowned route again. Getting new will mean a greater cash outlay but going the econo route once again or going pre-owned and getting a nicer vehicle but with miles on it. This could work depending on how good the reconditioning was done and if the interior isn't too marked up. New mats is a given and am sure the luxe brands have very good cpo programs. A lot to consider here but I do want a "fun" vehicle next time.

That's Subaru's best color, Pearl white.
    Absolutely stunning!!!

edited March 2013
    Took the VW in yesterday for its 30-day checkup (legend has it that VW started doing this as a free service to try to improve their JD Power Initial Quality scores) and got them to give me a key for the wheel locks. Strangely, it was missing from the tray in the trunk, which would have presented a problem if I had to use the spare.

Afterwards, I took a walk along the Falls of the Ohio and then went up to the Cincinnati International Wine Festival, which made it a fun day... 1500+ miles and counting!
    I'm no longer a virgin as I had my 1st VW Jetta for an Orlando run. It must've been fate as I went to the mens room and when I came out, everyone was gone. I knew that I'd get the sucky car that no one wanted. Upon arriving at the rows of vehicles, right in front of me at the end of the line was a Jetta but it's windshield wiper was done...damn! This means the vehicle hasn't been scanned for approval to leave the lot. just then that guy with the hand held computer walks over and starts to do his stuff. Now these guys totally ignore us even when we aska question, a bit rude but hey, that's life. He finishes and pulls up the wiper and no one else is around...and do a complete 360 just to see and NO ONE! It's freakin' mine!!! A black car with just over 5k on it but it had a 1/2 tank of petrol. Usually they like us to take vehicles which are full but I let my boss know that I'm gonna go fill'er up. He's cool and comes over, writes me up and off I go to get petrol.

I won't go into detail now as I've got things to clean up but the aux cable didn't work! i tried everything but nothing which bumbed me out. Luckily I also carry 10 cds with me in my back pack so all was still good. Didn't see any usb port connection either but that seems unlikely and I bet I did something wrong while setting up the iPod but hey...all's well that ends well and off I went!
    Off tomorrow for some much needed rest.

The Deflowered Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

edited March 2013
    VW's iPod hookup is in the glove compartment and doesn't use a standard cable. If it was a new VW, I think they all have Bluetooth now.

Edited to add: I bet they are flooding the rental fleets with the base 2.0 liter engine model--the 2.5 is much more powerful.
    This was an SE model and it had plenty of power for any kind of driving, it was a nice car just as competent as any Japanese or Korean import that I've driven. Right now, I'm more into the Koreans as they remind me of Honda from the mid '80's with their excellent successes and quality products. Since I'm not in the market for myself, I'm just enjoying everything I get to drive. The wife has decided that it'll be between the Accent and Rio so we'll see what happens the last week of this year if then. She mentioned again earlier that she's keeping the Mazda until the wheels fall off so if the a/c keeps working, we're good to go. Even when it breaks again, we'll fix it if the price isn't stupid crazy!

Aaaaand on the way home I hit a large crater on the interstate and one of my tires now has a bubble in the sidewall. At least I have a wheel lock adapter to put the spare on! I'm going to email the dealer tomorrow and find out whether Dunlop and/or VW is willing to offer some assistance on replacing it, since it seems to be a very common problem with that model of tire.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    edited March 2013
    Well, I know what you are going through although mine was repairable. Driving on the I-10 Freeway the other day I apparently pick up a screw in the tire.

I noticed that the 'low-tire' symbol came on and then went off. After I got home I discovered a big screw in the right rear tire. So, off to America's Tire I went. They fix tires for free (a plus for anybody) and were able to get to me within a 20-30 minutes.

I was just there last week buying a new set Michelins for the Bentley. I hated to have a new tire on the Honda plugged (only 5,300 miles) but you have to do what you have to do. That means that tire will be on the front soon after rotation.

While I was there I checked on tires for the motorhome as I'm approaching the 7 yr. mark (2006 tires on a 2008 coach that went on the assembly line in early 2007). They quoted $6,800 out the door with tax, fees and installation for eight tires. I think I can do better than that through the FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) program. Instead of $850 a tire as quoted by AT... I can get closer to $700 through the Michelin FMCA program, so around $5,600. :blush: The tire size is 295/80R/22.5.

Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Wow, that's steep! Am I correct in guessing that the tires on the motorhome are due for replacement due to their age and not due to wear?

Which of your vehicles had the screw in the tire?
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    edited March 2013
    Hi Corvette, it was the Honda that had the screw in the tire. I was 'editing' my post when you posted.

There is a general rule that 'truck' tires be changed out at about 7 years whether they are new or not. I have Michelin's now and really want the same brand although a lot of people are buying Hankook tires at a good price.

Michelin says that you can go 10 yrs. on RV/Truck tires but they should be removed and inspected every year after 5 yrs. Our tires have good tread but we're getting close to the age limit. I would rather be riding on new tires than risk a blow out.

On a motorhome, a blow out can do serious damage to the wheel well, wiring, fiberglass, etc. I would rather play it safe and get a new set.

Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Had a similar problem back in '05 with the Mazda and a ruined tire. Two weeks in she picks up some road debris and kills the new Toyo tire to the tune of $120 and since we wanted the tires to match, we paid the price. Also had to purchase a new rim within the 1st year after she damaged it badly somehow. So this kinda sh I mean stuff happens to a lot of us...the price of vehicle ownership I guess. If we had bought the wheel/tire package they offered in F&I two weeks earlier, we'd be golden but we didn't after seriously considering it. On her next ride, think we'll give it due consideration if it's offered again and I know I want the alloys and good stuff whatever she buys. I like cruise, alloys...the good stuff for it makes the car look so much nicer and taking the cost over the years the car is kept...it's a no brainer really.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Had the MICHELIN LT-X black walls mounted on my wife's Pilot last week. And oh boy do they make a difference in ride quality, quietness, & overall comfort. Let's see how they do as time passes. I guess they'll last longer than the 1 year, 10 month, 32,800 miles the stock good years.

Worse than getting a flat early on in vehicle ownership is getting one towards the end of a lease. My wife's 2007 X3 had just over 42,000 miles on it (we were allowed 45K for the lease) when she swerved to avoid some debris in the road & hit a high curb center median. Luckily she was OK. Her X3 suffered 2 complete blow outs on the left side, a bent rim, & needed an alignment. Our tires were on the border of needing replacement, but I was trying to see if I could squeak by. We ended up buying 4 new tires (for 3,000 miles), 1 wheel, and an alignment. Expensive? Yes. The service I consistently received was amazing.

11:30 AM I called my service advisor. Told him what happened. First words out if his mouth: Rebecca ok? Kids in the car with her? No. Good. I'll call BMW and have roadside assistance dispatch to her location.

Now I left work because I didn't want my wife riding in a tow truck with a strange guy. Got to her by 12. The truck hooked me up at 12:15. I pulled into the dealer at 12:55 & was driving out in a loaner by 1:10 pm.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

That's why buying a brand where they treat the customer like a valued customer is important...that personal relationship I do not have with my Honda people. Heck, every time I go in there are different service advisors. The guys at my local Tire Plus, I use two locations, have been there for a long time and if it's a really big problem, I find out where my friend from Briarcliff is and go to that location. He's the only guy she who must be obeyed trusts when there is a major vehicular issue...he's been spectacular up till now to! The buying experience seems to be so much more at the lux brands but I guess that's all included in the premium prices one pays for their vehicles.

My new insurance guy tells me the rates on a C Class or 328i aren't really that much more than what I pay now on the Civic. When he came over to inspect the vehicles, I noticed his pristine '07 5 Series and we started talking about cars. I mentioned that I'd love to upgrade into the lux model he told me this. The prices to purchase and service/parts are where the expensive part seems to be. What's funny is every time I see a really nice late model C Class like I did yesterday, I imagine owning one and all the fun it must be but then I think about the expense for the upkeep and smile because right now, the Civic is really cheap to keep. It runs perfectly and since I've really started to drive it now, it seems to perform better and seriously, it drives just as well as all these new vehicles I drive at work. And at 37.5k, it's like a new one.

One question though folks, March 23rd is the date I got the oil change last year but the oil minder tells me I still have 50% life left. Should I just swap out the oil/filter now or can I wait until it gets down to the 20% mark? When I do work, I drive close to 60 miles when all is said and done. I've got the free one due me from when I purchased the new 3 year alignment policy a couple weeks back but just not sure if I should wait till the % goes down a bit. Like I said, the car's driving perfectly and still tight as the 1st day I drove it off the lot. Give me a shout anyone with opinions please. T I A>

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I hated to have a new tire on the Honda plugged

I hope you mean "plugged and patched" which is usually thought to be the "correct" way to fix a flat. (Tire Rack)

Some car manufacturers recommend that tires be replaced every six years; some tire companies say ten years is the max life. (safercar.gov)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    A year is a long time, I would get it changed now. Cheap insurance.

I just spoke to the service advisor about my LaCrosse. The last OC they put a sticker with the "normal" 3000 mile marking for the next change.

I had the car in for them to put a new door panel on (warranty issue) and mentioned I was right at the 3K miles but at 38% on the OLM. He said GM says to change it between 20 and 30% and that since I'm on free maintenance anyway to do it.

This is for your DI engine gurus. How come my near 80K mile Grand Marquis has squeaky clean oil and my 13K mile Buick the oil looks extremely dirty after only 1K miles after a change?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

hope you mean "plugged and patched" which is usually thought to be the "correct" way to fix a flat. (Tire Rack)

Most chain stores won't plug anymore, they patch from the inside. Local shops will usually still put in a plug, I have a plug on one of the tires on the Buick, all is fine.

"How come my near 80K mile Grand Marquis has squeaky clean oil and my 13K mile Buick the oil looks extremely dirty after only 1K miles after a change?"

No idea. I love how the oil in a new engine stays almost completely clear for the first several thousand miles. After the first and subsequent oil changes, it seems like there's enough leftover oil and other contaminants to make the new oil look dirty after a short period. The Mobil1 I installed in my Altima at the last oil change looked darker after only a couple thousand miles.
    The wife lost her big account last week so things have changed on the vehicle buying front for the time being. Plan B is to definitely fix the a/c before it dies and keep the vehicle until we get it to 200k, very doable with this Mazda I believe. Hoping the repair won't be very costly as summer is coming and down here, a/c is a must! She really loves the car and says it's the easiest car she's ever driven so she doesn't want to let it go. I'll bet the new Mazda3 drives just the same but she wants this one so I agreed. This is all new territory for us as the longest we ever held a vehicle was to 82k, not sure which vehicle it was exactly. I've put the $ away for the detail and headlight treatment so I'll just go ahead with that procedure and then we'll wait and see.

We haven't discussed a Plan C yet and hopefully we won't have to here as I'm very optimistic that everything will work out fine...the car will hold up till 2015's are out and the wife will find more work to fill the much needed void...I have faith in G-d above. When he(she) shuts a window, a door is opened somewhere else...we just have to find that open door now! I have faith! :)

The 1/2 Full Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

Plan B is to definitely fix the a/c before it dies

What is wrong with it? Is the compressor noisy or something? I've had cars with noisy compressors and they never died. If it is just leaking the freon out slowly, just have it refilled once a season and call it done. It is usually under 100 bucks at a indy shop.

A small leak isn't worth the money to fix sometimes. My mother's 96 Tbird had a leaky evaporator. For a few years my Stepdad just had charged in the spring and lasted until the winter. Never a problem until it eventually wouldn't hold a charge at all.

Light won't come on when it's on #1 or #2...lights up fine on #'s 3 & 4 though. Replaced a blower motor back in 9/11 so this is a new issue that's been like this for some time now. We will address it once she who must be obeyed decides I need to do it...and not before like I would like!

Does it still engage the compressor and blow cold on positions 1 and 2? If so, I'd leave it like that! It may just be a loose connection in the HVAC control panel.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking for a car buyer who was approved for a car loan after their credit was dinged during the Great Recession. If you or someone you know was affected by the recession, but is now fighting to get back on his/her feet, and was recently approved for a car loan, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, 3/11/13 at 2 p.m. PT/5 p.m. ET.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

No, the compressor isn't engaged as I feel warmish air coming out. Not sure what problem is but holding off right now as I do not want to make it worse. Hate to throw boatloads of $ at this car as there does come a point where it doesn't make sense but just staying the course right now. No more drama for awhile is a good thing and when she says so, I'll attend to it.

That is an oddball problem. I'd bet it is in the HVAC controller, but as long as the car is getting cold air I'd live with it too.