Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Yeah.. I didn't realize they had upgraded the engine, until I started researching the '09...

We were looking at an '08 with 84K and the FSI engine, that is priced $1K more, and is still cheaper than most out there...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    IIRC, there was a large dealership outside of Cleveland that had a bunch of cars with tons of paintwork but clean Carfaxes. Seems like they operated under several different names... It's almost worth investing in a paint thickness gauge if you're looking at used cars.
    Oh... I'm sure I could spot paintwork (uh...NOT) :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    edited April 2013
    "Went to see that blue RX350" (my dream car!)

The mid to late 09' Lexus RX's are heart breakers.
    They are quiet, refined, loaded with all the little things that you would actually use, but Toyota had a big problem with the 350 engines up to 2009.
    They built the engines with a couple of surprises for the owners, and not the good kind. Instead of solid metal oil lines that feed the VVT system, and the oil cooler, the made them a 2 piece line with a cheap rubber hose in the middle. When the rubber hoses blew (and they do) you would quickly lose your entire engine oil supply as it pumped out under pressure. Check all the horror stories on this link......

https://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

Thing is if you get one with a build date of later than April 2008 most of the lines had been changed to all steel on the engine, and Mr.Toyoda was on to new embarrassing issues. Still up to 2011 there are some similar Toyota nasty recalls, TSB's and just denying the problem altogether.

All the 350 engines in those years Avalon, Highlander, Venza, Lexus etc had the same lines that need to be changed before they blew out and ruined the engine. BTW, the recall deadline just ended March 31/2013.

100's of them are now for sale on used car lots everywhere (do a Lexus RX 350 search on Autotrader/CarGurus/Ebay etc) you will never know if the engines were run dry of motor oil, towed in, patched up, quietly traded off and the previous owners ran like Hell!
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Anyone driven one? 138hp must be taxed to move all that mass.

As mentioned above, the recent TTAC review on the Encore is pretty in-depth. To me, the biggest problem with it is the existence of a loaded CX5. But we saw one drive past recently and my wife loved it. If it is half as good as the review says, they are going to sell pretty well.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    As long as the VVT line has been replaced with the all metal version I wouldn't worry about it. A buddy of mine had over 80k on the rubber line. I urged him to talk to the dealer about it. They changed it and the car (07 Camry XLE V6 ) is now well over 100k and doing fine.

Just like CRV A/C compressors a problem that is blown out of proportion.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Today was Mazda day. I took my Miata in for service and, while waiting, checked out what was in the showroom.

The new 6 - one silver Touring and a red Grand Touring. The Touring stickered at $25K-ish, the GT at $30K-ish, and I'm honestly impressed with the value of it. Touring looks sharp, 19" alloys, 'leatherette' interior but it looks pretty convincing. Roomy, nice seats, materials look good, back seat had plenty of room, trunk is well shaped with a pass-through which is generous, unlike the new Accord. Its early to know if these are hitting their EPA ratings, but if so and it drives like the reviews say, then this would be my pick in the class hands down. Accord close second. Gap. Fusion. Big gap. Altima, Passat, Sonata, etc. The Touring will supposedly be available with a stick, but they don't seem to be on the ground yet.

CX5 - Now with the 2.5 skyactiv from the new 6. This one deserves to be selling in numbers like the CRV and RAV4. Good packaging, looks good, MPG is right, surprisingly useful cargo area. Pricing is spot on. Available blind spot monitor, city safety active braking, adaptive HIDS. Its all there.

5 - The CX5 makes the 5 pretty uncompetitive. The CX5 AWD gets better MPG. It needs that 2.5 skyactiv motor pronto. I love the concept, and think a drivetrain update would go a long way here.

Anyhow, we've been hearing about how Mazda is a small company that has been struggling, but these newest products show that their plan is a good one - make better products. Limited resources mean no chasing the hybrid market, no chasing electrics. Efficient gas and diesel works in all global markets. I had a 3 akyactiv sedan as a rental last week, and it was pretty peppy and good to drive, even with the 6AT. And I got 34.6 MPG combined/not all highway and wasn't really trying. I really hope they make a comeback because it seems like they are doing the right things. Looking forward to the next gen 3 and Miata.

Postscript - Later in the afternoon, I was driving my Miata on a great twisty back road sort of near my neighborhood. As I am about to turn on the road, a BRZ goes by. I figure I'll follow him to check out the car. Dark blue. Anyhow, driver notices I'm coming behind and decides to bump up the pace. Me too. I caught him, he let me pass, I then led at a 'brisk' pace, he caught me I let him pass, and so on. Really fun. And that BRZ looks pretty mean in motion. I'd love to drive one sometime.

According to the link, the "new" line they replace it with as part of the recall is also rubber, while the one they use on new vehicles is all metal. Sounds pretty chintzy. If it's an easy DIY project, it's something I would replace with the metal version on a weekend if I owned one of those cars, but I'm OCD like that. :blush:
    I'd like to see a Mazda5 with the suspension and drivetrain bits from the Mazdaspeed 3. :P

I'll have to check out the new Mazda6 when I have the opportunity. For me, the decision process put the Accord below the Altima. And both ended up below the VW GTI/GLI, and probably below the prospect of finding a used 3-series or taking over a lease on one. The only new Passat I would be interested in would be the loaded VR6 version, and it's difficult to find one of those available to test drive. (I think the TDI motor would be less taxed in the smaller Jetta or Golf.)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    Car and Driver actually built one. The resulting MS5 wasn't exactly a slug, but it wasn't all that fast.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    exactly what i was thinking when I read the write up in Motor Trend...or was it Car And Driver. Basically a Sonic underneath and yes, it would be almost perfect though a tad expensive according to the article. But I gotta feeling these things are going to sell terribly at that price point and let's be honest here, they ain't the most beautiful vehicle on the market. Did see one as a rental already and it fits my size requirement to a tee. Already on my short list and since I really prefer a 4th year model due to the refresh, the time line definitely fits! But there are so many choices at this price point so there is a lot of choices. We'll have to test one first to see how well it drives and the seat comfort will be a major concern as if i drop down into it, it's off the list as I doubt it'll have a power throne...but hey, it is a Buick so it just might have that feature...would make sense. Very astute recommendation though!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

From what I understand you can request the all metal line. I would want it as well. The biggest problem is if the line bursts while going down the highway you can loose all the oil pretty quickly. I'm sure the car will alert you that has happened and you shut down the engine.

There are plenty of rubber hoses in an engine compartment. If any of them give way, you usually aren't going far.

Think the Lexus I saw was sold by the guy up the street who just got a new Ford F-150 as he had the same exact color car and the time frame makes sense. Might just walk over there and ask if in fact it is his old RX on their lot...bet it is! But have thought it over and it just is not a great idea...going new or maybe even a C Class lease might just do the trick and get it out of my system once and for all.

That job I went for yesterday didn't pan out since I can't drive a stick with my bad left leg...he looked at my cane and said I wasn't gonna work out...too bad. It was a nice private shop where they put "bling" on cars for local dealers and I would've been the 3rd driver. It could've been a really cool gig but told another guy at work to call the man and see if he could take the job. best to play these things forward if one can. Did a couple of Miami to West Palm runs yesterday afternoon and just got a text for a key Largo to key West run so the Sandman is off again. Great job but the only draw back is the lack of a permanent schedule, I really want set hours so we can plan some things. Want to go to key West and stay a day or two with the wife and possibly go back to Marco island, south of Naples on the gulf like we used to when the kids were small. I want to do it all now and after those 2 + years I sat around, I have some catching up to do! And I deserve it, we both do! We've done what we have had to...raised the kids and gave them their "needs" and some "wants" also, we did the best we could as parents but now the ball is in their court. We're here to always help out, but now we get to live our lives post kids and i don't feel selfish in the least!

From what i hear, this job slows up considerably come the summer so i really need to find another part time gig to make up the difference...would love to work 4 days/week and have those other one's off to do some state traveling as I don't see anything when we do the rental moving. There are places in Florida I've yet top visit and now is the perfect time as I still have mobility and can get around nicely with either Forest or Cain. Did purchase a neat wooden cane this guy at the local flea market makes, a really nice design that he cut down to size for me...I'm collecting canes now so if any of y'all see some interesting one's, give me a shout as I'll pay for the purchase and shipping...looking for some unique wooden one's for the collection.

The Mobile Sandman aka Sandman On The Run :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think they're overstating things a bit. Haven't heard a simple complaint in the Sienna threads, FWIW.

They sold about a billion Camrys so if 3 of them fail it doesn't mean a whole lot, statistically.
    CX5 needed that engine, for me the 2l was overburdened.

I still think the Nav screen is too small, and the back seat is a bit tight (which is why cargo room is so good).

Sounds like you had quite a fun drive...
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    The OEM rubber line that supplies the VVT is the weak link in the Toyota 350's

They were the ones that were bursting first, and even tho they were replaced with another rubber line, it was a much better quality..(the one with the yellow stripe) It is much easier to pulloff the OEM line and replace with another as there is no removing the metal parts of the line to do the fix.

If you are shopping on line and can find the Carfax on any 2009 Lexus 350 you can find the exact build date for the ones with the metal lines, also you can check the sticker on the door frame it's there as well. Any built after April 08 would be the ones to get serious about.

Light blue or maroon 2009 RX 350's with a light interior is what I count to fall asleep
    I guess I consider the Jetta in a different class than the 6, closer to the 3. I'd probably buy that Civic Si I recently drove before something from the midsize class since they are all so big. And probably not even that as it needs more hatchback.

As for the 5, I fear they will put the 2.0 skyactiv motor in it like the JDM version for the US market. Which would way underpowered for something that seats 6. The 2.5, OTOH, should get the job done. And if it the got anywhere near the 25/32 the FWD CX5 gets with the same motor, then you actually get something in exchange for downsizing from a Sienna, Caravan, etc.

I still think the Nav screen is too small, and the back seat is a bit tight (which is why cargo room is so good).

I guess I'm not as familiar with the class. I did set the driver's seat for my height (6'2"), then sat behind myself and had good room. I don't like that you have to option a sunroof before you can unlock the tech package for a Touring. But it probably makes sense to limit the number of configurations from a production standpoint.

Yes, the Miata drive was good. You know all about it. If you can find a BRZ to chase, I highly recommend it.

Test drove this one, last night.... private owner... 28K miles..

Premium, Cold WX pkg, xenons, Technology pkg... Bluewater Metallic (light silvery/blue) with black leather..

Very, very nice... asking $33K, which seems very reasonable.... so, of course, I will low-ball him.... lol..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• gouldngouldn Member Posts: 220
    I'm sure you evaluated this, but make sure you like the ride. I had an 07 and after three years sold it because I found the ride too rock-hard. I don't have that trouble in friend's 330s (sedan), but for some reason I found the ride harsher in the X3.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    It can be tough to sell a car yourself for 33k. There are lots of decent new cars/trucks in that price range. Folks who need financing and looking to trade usually go to dealers. If you can find out what auction value is, I wouldn't go much over 1-2k from that mark. Good luck.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    asking $33K, which seems very reasonable.... so, of course, I will low-ball him.... lol..

When I read that, I'm thinking you'll offer something like $28K.

Close?
    We had an '08, so I'm familiar with the ride (and it was harsh on the old model)... the new model still has pretty sharp handling, but has a more forgiving ride (even with runflats!)..

Clean auction value is $32,600, so I think I'm okay, no matter what..

And.... the wife really wants this car, so I offered him $30K... ;)

Should know something tomorrow... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    kyfdx...I like the X3s. Sounds like the price is right. Me thinks you may be driving that home this weekend.

Looking (far) into the future, an X1 may be on my shopping list.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    We really liked our '12 X3, and certainly would've kept if not for the appearance of the wife's dream 3-er wagon.

At $30k (or even the $33k asking price), that's a lot of car for the money. I bet you end up somewhere in the middle, which would be great.

We recently had a new X3 as a loaner, and I did like that 2.0 turbo, but sounds like you prefer the trusted in-line 6, so it's a win-win.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Stopped by his house and his new truck was out front but no answer so will try again another day. His wife also just got a GMC Terrain, a nice vehicle I actually got to drive last Sunday. Not crazy about the looks, too industrial for my taste, but drove very smoothly and looked to have ample room for a family. Bet they are pretty pricey though...well in the the $30k territory I'd suspect. After reading about the RX issues, I've all but taken it off my list but I do like that generation much better than the new one's and was a bit surprised at how big it really is...but bet I could just slide over into the drivers seat, a must have for my next vehicle...and power would be expected also!

Today was a bad day...did a run from Key Largo to Key West and my back went into spasm which made walking very difficult. Will be taking a few days off to relax the spine even though the boss may get pissed off. I just won't answer my texts or phone as I need to attend to my body here and ya know what, they'll survive without me for a couple of days. Maybe he'll finally see what a good employee I am and stop yelling at me for such stupid stuff like his not giving me clear directions...or directions for that matter!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    Good luck & let u know what happens.

Typing from my new iPad.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

"Typing from my new iPad."

I can't type on that darn thing (or my iPhone either)! It's great for web browsing, though.
    You get used to it. I can kick out email pretty fast on the ipad. Iphone is a whole different story...

Want to get one also but in a few months as I just got my new android smart phone. I'm creeping slowly into the new tech world here as I'm a bit tech challenged! Looked at the iPhone 4S but the guy at Radio Shack recommended the easier HTC One VX and it is pretty easy to use though I did screw up a bit at first. Now finally getting the app thing down and some of them are really pretty cool. He put in some kind of memory card (?), an 8 gig one I think, so I plan to put my music on there eventually once my kid comes home as I don't want to load up the phone's memory capacity. Taking me a bit longer to type things out on the phone though so I usually post when I get home in the evening.

I know I'd be lost without my iPod at work and having that universal aux cord makes driving the rentals much more enjoyable as many that I get lately don't have Sirius/XM. I do prefer the sat radio over everything though!

After reading about the RX issues, I've all but taken it off my list but I do like that generation

Sandman, there is nothing to be worried about with an RX. It is a solid vehicle. The VVT oil line is something that is completely blown out of proportion. I know people with well over 100K on the same powertrain with no issues whatsoever.

Toyota's 3.5 (used in just about everything) is a stellar engine in terms of performance, NVH and FE. If you like the RX I wouldn't be afraid even a little bit.

Probably right but when I got next to it, I saw how really large of a vehicle it is and I do prefer the under 180" vehicles. Will still go see that neighbor to ask if indeed that is his old rig over at the Ford store. If it is, it's been sitting there for a good couple of months now so I'd bet they'd be negotiable on the asking price on the window. But it is AWD which really isn't necessary down here in South Florida...really. But will definitely give it a test drive.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    edited April 2013
    Clean auction value is $32,600

Where did you get that from? This is a 28i, yes?

I guess I could see where someone could pull that number from ... but its not one I would bank on. About a grand less would be safe. And probably less than $31k as a trade. So I don't think you'll be scoring it for $30k if he could just drive it down to the local dealer and get that much.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

then sat behind myself and had good room

That's odd. I could not even fold the rear seat without moving the front seat forward!

That would be annoying. Every time you fold the seats, to have to move your seat? I hope they offer seat memory.
    Check out Club Lexus and the IS model people complain about is the 250. In fact the universal recommendation is to go with the 350.
    In fact the universal recommendation is to go with the 350.

Exactly, the 2GR is a great engine, no matter what they put it in.

Can I trade my minivan for an Evora? :D
    I think you would give up a little cargo room. :P

Do they offer a 3rd row option? :D
    That is from the "Black Book" app that local used car guys use... A friend of mine has a dealer's license... it's pretty nifty.. you plug in the VIN and it gives you values and also a link to pull up the CarFax...

And, yeah.... I realize it's not foolproof.. or, exactly match Manheim.. but, it's close enough... It's our car for the next 7-8 years if we get it... missing the number by a thousand won't kill us..

This guy could take it to the local dealer.. but, he is moving out of the country and not buying another car.. doubt the thought has even crossed his mind..

I agree with the comments above... it's tough to sell a $33K car privately (or, anything over $12K for that matter).. If I had to pay $33K for it, it wouldn't be a bad deal..

Getting antsy, though... he is supposed to get back to me, today.. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Did the test drive this morning and though the RX drove exceptionally well and only had just under 54k, it's definitely not the vehicle for me...just too darn big. I tried the 2011 Nissan Rogue SV they just got as a trade on a new Escape and it was an excellent driver and something that could become my next vehicle! The cvt tranny was superb and moved the vehicle along smoothly with no hesitation, no nothing and i bet no one could tell that it wasn't a regular auto tranny. It had 22k on it, not bad for a 3 year old vehicle but was that red color with the black interior, a deal killer. They were supposed to send me an otd price but so far, nothing. Would definitely go with the dark gray over black and though they wanted to move the unit today, they were pretty low key with me as I got there at 9 a m when they opened. It is the perfect size ute for me and I almost slid right over...with my cushion in place that will probably happen. This unit did have the power driver seat also which is a must for my next vehicle. Not sure if used is the way to go here though and buying new shouldn't be that much more pricey since this model is close to the end of it's current life cycle. These seem to be popular here in South Florida so it is a definite contender...just wish the wife would go for one as I know once she drove one, she'd really like it!

Countered at $32K, and I accepted (as I was instructed to by my lovely wife).

Transfer won't happen for three weeks, when he gets back to town.

Wife is happy (her first choice in cars)
    Son is happy (gets my BMW for 18 months)
    I drive the Infiniti for 18 months.. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Birthday wishes guys! They are very much appreciated. I know I'm one of the younger posters (I know I'm not THE youngest), but really enjoy hangin' out here with you guys.

Congrats on the new ride kyfdx! Wife is happy, son is happy, & I think you'll survive with the G37X for the next 18 months.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited April 2013
    Congrats! I'm sure you (er, your wife, I mean) will be very happy.

And now you have a year and a half to obsess over your next vehicle.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Hope someone has been updating the punch list.

Congrats on the the new ride!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    edited April 2013
    ok... remind me again about the other 2 cars. What is "your BMW" and why wouldn't you let son drive the infiniti?

congrats, by the way. you pulled a carfax on it, right?
    it'll definitely help at trade-in time that you bought it low now. :blush:

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited April 2013
    Just got home from mechanic where they did the oil/filter change and rotation, redid the alignment(have a 3 year policy), did the coolant service and did some work on the back brakes, car stops so much better and pedal isn't on floor for a total damage of $127.00. The work needed to be done and have decided to stay the present course, let my boy have the Civic when he's ready for it in Milwaukee, then revisit a new Nissan Rogue as it liked everything about that vehicle yesterday, everything! They got back to me with a crazy price of $23,422 for the red 2011 Rogue which is stupid money I think...rather spend the little extra and get brand new and in a color I like...the paint job just looked a bit off when I walked around the vehicle...no way I'd pay that kinda cash for that particular vehicle. Now if they came back with a $20k figure, I'd be more tempted to counter a little bit as it drove very nicely and I really liked everything about it. But gonna wait as even my mechanic told me the Civic is in pristine condition and doesn't pay to trade it in. He's right though, it drives like new!

The new headliner is already sagging in a few places so just called and they'll be here on the 18th to reglue it again...a pain in the butt but hey, stuff happens!

That's when the lease on my BMW will be up. That'll be 2 punches in Sept of next year!

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    In the Boston area, new Rogue "S" models are being advertised for ~$20-21k. I'm sure that's for no option, base models. List is ~$25k.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I'd go for the SV model with the power drivers seat and would rather buy new or a cpo unit in a better color. Even a demo at the right price would work and any color except red or black. Even in white, with a dark interior, it's not a bad looker and usually, I don't like white. My '96 Corolla DX was white over blue but it worked and the only white vehicle I've owned. I really did like the Rogue as it was pretty peppy around the test drive I took and I was pretty conservative with it. I'm sure out on the highway it does just fine as it has a bigger engine than I'm used to. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to purchase, 2017 or so, they'll still have the Rogue in their lineup. After seeing and reading an article earlier about the new Rav4, I am not even going to consider one as i think it's butt ugly. the Rogue just looks better to my old eyes and something I could see owning...and I know once the wife drives it, she'll be smitten to!