Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    A new car in 17 months ? Not 16 or 18 months ? You might expect a suggestion or two from posters. ;)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The only Z3 I'd get is the clown shoe coupe, M flavored.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Sure. Different price bracket, though.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    edited May 2013
    It's a lease.... I know the expiration date... :)

If you aren't power-hungry, get a 2000 model Z3M coupe.... It's only 240 HP, but still lots of fun and just as dorky! You can get a nice one for under $20K

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Everyone remembers the Z3M Coupe, but forgets the Z3 Coupe 3.0, which is what I'd want personally. They are all hard to find, however.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    My daughter had a school activity today, and they needed to run out to Target to get supplies. One of the other girls (17 YO) drove them in her new car. A Porsche Cayenne.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    I like where this is going!

What to replace it with?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    edited May 2013
    I am, too. Living in the same area where I grew up, driving the same makes/models of cars I had in high school. :cry: I always tell people I should have gotten an MBA.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Took the kid's Accent in for a recall notice this morning and got to walk around the lot a bit and found a used Rogue and Tuscon next to each other. Both bigger than I like which now has me re-thinking things. Then sat in a new Elantra Limited with a power drivers seat and that was it, put a fork in me as I'm done! Just perfect in every way...not too big, not too small...just right and with the seat in it's upper position, I slid right in without falling into it. Visibility was perfect, just like my Civic and everything fell into place perfectly. If I had to buy right this minute, this is it and don't think this'll change. I just love this size vehicle and though a hatch is nice to have, a sedan is best for me. I've found my next vehicle methinks... a charcoal Hyundai Elantra Limited.

Went next door to the Mitsu dealer and sat in the Outlander Sport SE and though it was just o k but the dash is horrible, especially the radio controls...where are the knobs? Comfy drivers chair but lacking in every other dimension compared with the Rogue and Tuscon, with the Tuscon being the best by far of all three. Hyundai is kicking butt here with good looking, reliable and affordable vehicles just like Honda used to do before their products all became so stale looking. Besides the new Accord, Honda's have all become so boring and tired looking with Hyundai now being one of the best auto guys out there. Do like the new MB CLA and saw a pic of the new Audi A3 but these are just too expensive for my blood. I prefer and want "cheap to keep" and these premium brands are anything but. So why keep kidding myself that I'll pony up for one some day...I just wouldn't and I now realize this. Today was a real education for me, truth be told, and though I love the higher priced vehicles, they just ain't me!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I drove one when the first game out (not sure of the trim level though) and was very impressed. If I needed a car, or if my son gets a job after graduation and decides to buy one, will certainly be looking at these.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    edited May 2013
    As all the regular posters here know, my Dad is 90 years old and doesn't like to spend any money. The only money he spends is when I get a new car and he gives me a few thousand toward the purchase price since I drive him everywhere (doctors, banks, shopping, daily constitutional walks, etc.). He's a great guy, but he refuses to spend a penny on himself for anything, including clothing, shoes, a new mattress for his bed, to name a few things. He just wants to leave everything he has to his two sons, which I think is ridiculous. But, it's his money, and if he refuses to spend any on himself, I can't force him.

He has a very old recliner in the den where he sits and watches TV. He can't see very well, so he has these "magnifying" glasses that the Light House for the Blind gave him a few years back. Besides, he like to snooze a little here and there. The recliner needs to be thrown out (it's so bad, I would be embarrassed to give it to the Salvation Army), but he continually refuses to get a new one. It doesn't even recline any more.

I'm having surgery Tuesday, and the Surgeon wanted to know if we had a recliner in the house for me to sit in and sleep in since it would be the best position for the shoulder after surgery for at least a few weeks. I told the surgeon we didn't have one - so he really pushed me to get one since I will have trouble sleeping in a bed. I told this to Dad. "Nope!" he says - the old one is just fine - I'm not going to spend money on a new recliner. So after our walk at Town Center Mall, I drove to US 1 in Boca Raton to the Lay-Z-Boy store. He was obstinate, to say the least, when I tried to get him to come into the store with me.

I literally pushed him through the front doors and we looked around for about half an hour. A nice young lady was helping us. The average recliner is over $1000 there, but they had a big sale going on. He didn't sit in any recliner until the saleslady showed him something for about $499.00. So he sits in it, reclines, and says, "...ahhhhhhh!" He is in heaven. With shipping and tax the final cost was $599.99, delivered and they will take the old one away. The chair was originally $699.00, so there was a $200 savings on it.

It took him over 2 hours to stop sulking about the purchase - but he's fine now - even making me measure where it's going to go, how we should arrange the room, etc. They will be delivering it on Wednesday afternoon, so I will only have to suffer one night. The shoulder has to be elevated with pillows under the shoulder and the sling and my arm has to be draped over my stomach to reduce swelling and pain.

So, finally, after years of trying to get him to get himself a recliner, he finally got one. I wonder if I'll ever hear the end of this?

Finally, since Father's Day is just a few weeks away, I usually take him to Van Heusen at Saw Grass Mills shopping mall and buy him 3 or 4 golf shirts, a few pairs of shorts, and I think this year I will get him some Rockport Walking shoes. Like I said, he refuses to spend a dime on himself, so I have to wait for birthdays and Father's Day to buy him clothes.

I wonder if all 90 year olds are like him? Are your parents like that?

2021 Genesis G90

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,850
    I think it comes from living in times where things like a new pair of shoes or a new shirt was really something special. My Grandfather passed away at age 85 last September. He was living with my Mother and didn't want for anything.

Every holiday we bought him new clothes, cologne, whatever he needed because like your Dad he never bought a thing for himself (except cars, he liked his Town Cars and Grand Marquis).

Even when he still had his home I wanted him to replace the 35 YO washer/dryer to something modern, nope! What can you do, I guess. What's funny is he was extremely generous with the family and had no problem handing me a 10K check to help pay for our wedding. Still get choked up that he passed a month before it and wasn't able to be there.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    Good for you.
    When the Elantra came out in the new design, the surprised auto mag hacks didn't know what to say. So a lot of them kept trying to put a damper on the design by dredging up the old original Hyundai's and trying really, really hard to not give it any praise, even tho it hit the market running and never looked back in spite of all the Nervous Nelly reviewers.

So you, and all these actual OWNERS of the model think pretty much the same way....

http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/elantra/2013/consumer-reviews.html
    My Mom died shortly after her 90th birthday and was pretty much the same way. When she could walk, she loved Goodwill. It's all about avoiding stress by staying with stuff you are familiar with. Change is a big problem, even if it is needed. Not unusual.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    They do have some great stuff there, though they tend to be a bit pricey now. Went with my daughter last month to their store up in Wellington mall and found a few great chairs but convincing the wife is another story. Right now, I'm using her old Lazy-Boy from her office while her mom's old club chair has a cover over it until she decides what to do with it...it used to be my chair whenever we went over to her folks house but has seen better days. Found a great chair over at the Rooms To Go clearance center off of Sample Rd. by 95 but now I have to get her there. She also hates to spend $ except on eating out, then the sky's the limit!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2013
    Oh yeah, my mom's 91 and worked until she was 75 and only quit then because she couldn't hear well enough to take BPs anymore (retired RN). She'd live on saltines and potted meat if we had not forced her into an assisted living place where some meals included.

A year or so ago we were worried about her being too isolated and not partaking of the lounge and other activities in the place. The management had similar problems with other residents so they started charging $1 to deliver the main mail to individual rooms. Occupancy in the dining room swelled way up after that, and my mom actually broke down and got some new clothes to "keep up" with her table mates. Best idea they've had to get folks socializing there.

Her Mazda was about 15 when she quit driving and sold it about 7 years ago. Even though her utilities are included in the rent, she still keeps the lights off most of the time. Something about children of the depression.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I think it comes from living in times where things like a new pair of shoes or a new shirt was really something special.

My father in law was a great guy, but I could only shake my head at his financial acumen. For example, I remember one incident where he explained to my wife and I that when you calculate a tip to a server you should subtract the tax and only give 15% of the remaining amount. On the other hand, he would buy a new Park Avenue or Riviera every three years, paying close to MSRP and getting lowballed on his trade. I suggested that he might want to lease his cars since he flipeed them so often, but he explained that he wanted to own his cars...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I think it comes from living in times where things like a new pair of shoes or a new shirt was really something special.

Yes, I believe that as you get on in years, one wants to spend money only when it is necessary - if not essential, older people are happier to keep what they have and leave their family their assets. My Dad is not a millionaire, that's for sure, but he pays cash for everything. He owes no one and wants to keep it that way.

I was lucky to finally get him to get a recliner for himself under the guise that I would need it to sleep in for a week or so - partly true, but I will sleep in bed with lots of pillows to prop up my shoulder. During the day, I'll be better off on the recliner according to the doctor.

Anyone else have similar experiences with older family members?

2021 Genesis G90

edited May 2013
    "Anyone else have similar experiences with older family members?"

Generally, people make fewer discretionary purchases as they get older. If you stop driving, you don't need your own car. If you're not watching Netflix and doing video chats with your grandkids, you don't need a new MacBook or a fast internet connection, etc. If you don't have an e-reader or tablet, you can still check paper books out from your local library for free.

(Note that the cost of non-discretionary purchases, such as health care, tends to increase with age.)
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    edited May 2013
    My depression era grandparents were like that, my sole surviving grandmother lives a little now, but is still pretty frugal (and in excellent health) even as she approaches 90. She will go out to eat without complaint,but cooks cheaply at home, wouldn't think of buying new clothes, etc. However, she was excited to get a flat panel TV a while back, so she isn't completely sealed off. She doesn't scrimp on home upkeep either, saying she wants "to keep the house nice so you can sell it quickly when I die" :shades: My grandfather got very frugal as he aged - wouldn't buy a nicer car even though he enjoyed them and could afford it, didn't travel much past age 60, kept their house as an early 60s time capsule (I've had to convince my grandmother that's a positive, now). Bad memories of their teenage and young adult years, no doubt.

My silent generation father and early boomer mother didn't have those issues though - were happy to spend freely during my childhood, which caused issues at divorce, and I know is why I like to have something extra at the end of every month. I would rather live a little (cars, travel while I am physically able) when I can enjoy it, but won't have my expenses exceed income.
    Some elderly friends of my wife lived like paupers. The husband was in total control. He died without a will and he left 3 million in oil stocks and cash. The state got a third and the women bought a new car, fixed up the house a bit and went shopping for some new clothes with my wife. She died and her two kids are rich but not as rich as they could have been --- the State was pleased.
    In my experience, quite a few people who would benefit from comprehensive estate planning aren't interested in it, or are only interested in one very narrow aspect such as Medicaid planning or attempting to keep everything out of public record. :confuse:
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Finally got around to posting my 530i on cars.com (I only had a posting on a BMW forum to date) yesterday morning, and had a legitimate call on it within hours.

Guy came by last night to look at it - definitely an interested buyer who currently owns a 1998 535i. He's a "stick" guy, so an ideal candidate for the car. Unfortunately, he offered almost $3k less than the list price (and almost $2k less than what I was ready to take). I wouldn't call it a lowball offer, as he was going off of KBB values - but I'm in no rush and am willing to hold out for more.

Still, I found myself a bit disappointed, as the active shopping for a replacement was seemingly within grasp. :D

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    The old saying remains true - you can't take it with you. I hope that encourages someone to make a purchase :shades:
    nicely said, finman -- encouraging other folks to spend their money is what this forum is all about,
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    The old saying remains true - you can't take it with you. I hope that encourages someone to make a purchase

My folks did that 10 years ago. The last new car they had bought was in 1973 - then it was a succession of used cars. Mom finally put her foot down and wanted one last "new" car for them.

They bought a 2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6. When I visited them in March of this year it had all of 29K on it.

My folks have established a trust for all of their assets - when they die, everything will be sold and placed into the trust, then divided out between my sister and I and the 4 grandchildren.
  • ghenry0007ghenry0007 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Ford Ranger that I got a few months back because I was in a bind with my Grand Cherokee. It just would not stop breaking down on me. But now I'm in a bit of a better financial situation, and I am now paying payments on the truck. It needs approximately $1500 in repairs (suspension, exhaust, regular maintenance that wasn't kept up to date), but now I have enough money to get even a brand new car. I'm just looking for something new-ish, something with <100,000 miles. My question is, should I try to trade my truck in with the interest and balance left on it, or pay off the loan and then trade it in?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    It makes zero difference.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Q...ghenry...it might make a difference if you plan on attempting to finance the new vehicle. Debt to income ratio has an effect on credit scores, and in turn, interest rates.

So, paying off the old loan plus a hefty down payment will should affect the loan terms.

But Q, normally I'd agree with you that it shouldn't make any difference.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    what will make a difference on a hi mile 13 YO Ranger is to clean it up and sell it privately. you will make quite a bit more that way, since your trade in value most likely is going to be next to nothing.

edited May 2013
    nicely said, finman -- encouraging other folks to spend their money is what this forum is all about,

Excellent point - chronic car buyers fuel our economy by buying cars from manufacturers who, in turn, hire workers and purchase components to produce the automobile. The objective of this forum is to keep the readers current on new cars and associated technologies in order to stimulate car purchasing.

There is no doubt that most of us are Chronic, if not manic, car buyers. The smell of a new car is invigorating, tantalizing, hypnotic, and...!

I just took delivery of my new 2014 E 350 Sport Sedan and have already opened a new bank account to save for my next one. A 2016 which is supposed to be a complete redesign. i almost can't wait to see it and drive it! Without doubt, I must have some serious flaws or deficits in my personality traits. I'm obsessive compulsive - to be sure. But aren't we all when it comes to new car buyin?

2021 Genesis G90

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I'm obsessive compulsive - to be sure. But aren't we all when it comes to new car buyin?

Some of us like to kibbitz more than buy, though I've done my fair share over the years.
    Some of us like to kibbitz more than buy, though I've done my fair share over the years.

Kibitzing is the very first step in the process called "new car buying!" Without kibitzing, who would get "turned on" to new car buying.

2021 Genesis G90

So, paying off the old loan plus a hefty down payment will should affect the loan terms.

Well, of course, I assume that whatever money he is willing to part with, he would still part with when buying the new vehicle. Whether that happens before the deal or during the deal shouldn't matter. As for debt-to-income, they take that trade-in into account (as in that loan is coming off your report). Credit scores are slow to update, so unless you wait many month after paying off the vehicle, it won't matter.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

1'er is pissing me off. I'm seriously considering dumping it. As much as I adore driving the car, it seems to be broken ALOT.

This seems awfully cheap. Manheim is acting up, so I can't confirm for sure, but I think they are in the $28k range at auction.

I can't think of many affordable (under $25k) cars that I would even replace the 135 with. I'm not going back to FWD and I'm not going back to anything with 0-60 over 5.5 secs. Also needs a livable back seat. And I'd want it to have under 45k miles. The lower the better, of course.

Yup, $28k for a supercharged, so that one makes me wary.

Also found this place that has several 2010 5.0 models, which I'd probably prefer ... but, again, these are all listed right at auction value. I don't know what is up with that.

That's quite a change from a 1-series! What's broken on yours?

I know you said no FWD, but the 2015 GTI looks pretty sweet to me.
    edited May 2013
    I'm now contending with my 4th separate limp mode issue. I haven't had time to fully assess the situation, but the computer is telling me it is a vanos sensor ... however, I replaced both sensors 2k miles ago. There is a possibility it is something much much more serious. :cry:

Give up the 0-60 requirement and get an FT86.

Your average speed will be higher given it won't have to stop for break downs. :shades:
    I'd rather get a WRX, given the choice in the subie showroom.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    The XK on the site mirrors mine, exterior-wise. My interior is charcoal, with the burled walnut wood, however. And mine is an '09 with 10k fewer miles and the low fuel warning light is not on... :) The price, however, makes me sad as a future seller/trader-inner of an XK.

I like the Vapour Grey color of the first XF. It won't show the pollen as much as black!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I like that one, too. Its also the cheapest for some reason. But it says "pending" on it, which I assume means sold.

• ohenryxohenryx Member Posts: 285
    I can't think of many affordable (under $25k) cars that I would even replace the 135 with. I'm not going back to FWD and I'm not going back to anything with 0-60 over 5.5 secs. Also needs a livable back seat. And I'd want it to have under 45k miles. The lower the better, of course.

Interesting. Why no FWD? (pause for thinking) Any car that will do 0-60 in under 5.5 seconds would have to be very powerful, so you&#146;re concerned about torque steer? And exactly how do you define &#147;livable back seat&#148;?
    edited May 2013
    I've found I prefer throttle-induced oversteer. ;)

Well, the back seat of the 1-series is just enough. Anything smaller would be difficult.

I'd wait to see the new one. Should use half the gas.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Q....Fortunately I haven't been in the finance office in awhile. I wasn't aware that they take into account the vehicle being traded is coming off the credit report during a trade.

In your quest, I've always been a fan of the WRX. Then again, if it were. My money, I'd be jumping on that Jag. ;)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    well, I guess if your BMW is not reliable enough for you, the most logical solution is to slide over into a used Jag.

nothing could possibly go wrong there, right?

edited May 2013
    Yeah yeah yeah.

But, seriously, have you heard anything consistently and tragically bad about the XF?

well, no but I have not paid any attention.

I do remember some early road tests (or LT tests) where they had some electrical gremlins.