Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    Ray - The GTI Looks really sharp in that color with those wheels & the red brake calipers. Excellent choice my friend!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Thanks all -
    so far [ only a couple of hundred miles ]
    I am very pleased with how it drives!
    - Ray
    Not bored, yet.......
    2022 X3 M40i
    Have you seen this article?
    MT - GLI tires...
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyear/sedans/1309_2013_volkswagen_jetta_gl- i_update_2/

- Ray
    Interesting read
    2022 X3 M40i
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Nice! I doubt I will be buying summer rubber, but the Dunlops posted some decent numbers for all season tires.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    http://samswope.com/2009-BMW-328-i-xDrive-Louisville-KY/vd/16070158

Beautiful color combo with virtually every available option
    BUT...
    Slushbox+AWD= No Sale.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    If the CX7 is going to be with you a long time, I suggest new 18" wheels.

In addition to the 25 tires/wheels currently on my vehicles (or in the trunk), I've got 27 tires and 8 wheels in inventory. :)

Sorry, no 19s.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Well, I know how you feel. I've bought 3 sets of tires fairly recently...

Michelin's for the '95 E320 Cabriolet (39,000 miles) $700.

Michelin's for the '09 Bentley Continental GTC (14,000 miles) $1,400.

Michelin's for the '08 Motorhome (8 tires)... bought through the Family Motor Coach Assc. Michelin program (57,000 miles) $6,100 which includes mounting, balancing and a refund of $50.00 each for the take-off (-$400).

So, I feel your pain.

Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    you must really roll with that motorhome. What mileage does a motorhome typically get out of a set of tires?
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Drove one of these with just under 43k up to the Manheim auction in Ocoee today and it was a really nice driver...very smooth and controlled and went about it's business without a hiccup! Decent mileage and o k comfort wise...a good job Kia, damn good job! The job is still going though it's our slow season so work is harder to come by but hopefully, things should pick up in the next month!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Motorhomes can get probably 200,000 miles out a set of tires but unlike car tires, motorhome/truck tires age out before they wear out. Generally, motorhome tires should be changed out at about 7-10 yrs. old. Ours were 7.5 yrs. old.

Michelin suggests checking the tires at 5 yrs. by taking them off and having them inspected. If they pass, each up to 10 yrs., they are OK. Nobody really will pay to have their tires removed from the rims to check on the inside, just too cost prohibitive.

If any dry rot cracks show up, it's time to get new tires ASAP! The cracks start in the inside where you can't see. So, you have to be proactive and visually check the tires on a regular basis. The take-off's can be used on farming tractors/trailers etc. Ours could be recapped for truck use too, that's why there is some value in older truck tires carcass's.

Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    I'm also a CTBA member also. I've bought 2 sets of Micelins this year (1 for the Pilot, 1 for the BMW). The Pilot tire purchase was out of necessity as the original Good Years were shot. With the BMW I found it wasn't that much more to buy 4 new Michelins as opposed to 2 new Continentals. I'm very happy with both sets of Michelins. Come to think of it, I think I put a new set of Yokohamas on the Prelude not that long ago. They aren't Pilot Super Sports, but are a helluva bang for the buck at $88 each.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Bought these last August for the Civic and so far they are holding up nicely. Did the 1st rotation about a month ago and now there is a slight pull to the right with the wheel held straight. Had the front two swapped last week and the pull is still there so gonna realign the car Tuesday morning even though it was dead on straight before the rotation! Since I've got the 3 year policy, I can go as often as I'd like so what the heck. Called yesterday for a 7 a m appointment Tuesday to correct this issue...really bugs me when the wheel isn't dead on center straight...a bit anal I guess but I can't be the only one like this I suspect. I really want this set of tires to be the last ones I put on this vehicle which is doable as long as they wear properly. So far, the Firestone Affinity's are wearing extremely well on the Versa and Mazda. The Accent still has the original Hankook's on them and look factory fresh but hey, they only have a bit over 14k on them...figure we've got another couple of years on them until replacement will be necessary due to age...the heat down here might cause dry rot.

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    How in a CCBA group are we talking tires.... Who keeps a car long enough? Lol. :)

I dread buying tires, if the Buick even looks like it will need tires before the end of the lease its gone! The Pilots that are on it go for 250 or so a tire. The Merc has Michelin Symmetry on it and they have about 30k on them and look like they will easily go another 30k.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    How in a CCBA group are we talking tires.... Who keeps a car long enough? Lol.

I know for us it's a matter of needing dedicated winter tires in addition to a set of summer tires for each car. Plus hubby's car generally gets 2 winters out of its winter tires and 2 summers out of the summer set. He keeps his car 4-5 years so that's a couple sets.

I'm fairly good at finding deals on CL for wheels/tires to save a bit of money. This winter is going to hurt having to buy winter tires for the Explorer since I have to buy them new. At least the Focus is good until next winter. Hopefully I can recoup some of my $$$ out of the set of wheels/tires I have left from Chippy.
    No new tires this year; last year the X3 got a set of Cooper Zeon RS3-As and the 328i received a set of Blizzaks on Sport Edition F10 wheels for winter use. I also installed a set of Michelin PSS rubber on Gen 2 wheels for the MS3- but I won those... :)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Must be a lot of rich middle aged men watching the PGA. Lots of commercials for MB. Some for Lexus as well. Cadillac must have opted out.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Heck you can lease a C for ~300 and an E for ~500, don't need to be rich, just have good credit. The highlines aren't nearly as exclusive as in days gone by.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    We had a lot of free time on Saturday, so we spent much of the day browsing around car lots.

Drove a '10 Tiguan SE 4motion. I liked that a lot - those are definitely on my eventual 2nd car list. As long as you have some faith in those VWs (and perhaps an extended warranty and trusted mechanic), it's an attractive used car deal. This one was nicely equipped with a panoramic sunroof, with 39k miles, listed for $18k.

Looked at Prius's (all 3 models) - still may be a good option, but hard to get too excited about them.

Went across the street to the sister Lexus dealership and spent a lot of time there poking around the CT200h's. Definitely like the style and drive of those, but the rear seat sure is tight. Too new to have any good used deals, but Lexus is advertising a $299/month lease with $1,200 down.

Admired the new IS in the showroom - I really like the cockpit, and the rear seat is much roomier than before. All in all, if I shed a bit a BMW pride, I could see myself in one of those. Too bad they didn't do anything to enhance the base engine in the IS250. This particular IS250 awd had the "F-sport" package, and stickered for $45k.

Before we left the Lexus dealership, the wife convinced me to take a closer look and drive an '08 Cooper Clubman S. Fun car (it was a stick), but it had a "sticky" (for lack of better words) clutch, and well, I already have a fun car.

Fun day - I appreciate my wife allowing me to indulge so much.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

I looked at a 2012 Wrangler Rubicon; orange, manual tranny, Infinity audio, and heated seats. Tempting, but I'd have to unload 3 cars(MS3, 1999 Wrangler, and the 1975 '02). Still, Car and Driver prefers it to the Mercedes G550...

what's MSRP on that puppy?
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    While coming back for a late lunch we pulled up behind a car.

Wife asked "what is that" and I told her is was an Accord Crosstour.

Her response - "I don't hate that". Told her it is available with AWD and she was even more intruiged. A little research when I got home told me the AWD is only available as an EX-L with the V6 engine and starts at $35K.

Add navigation and you are over $37K.

Still need to buy tires .. we are heading to Vail tomorrow for a couple of days. Wife has a leadership conference and I've got a tee time.

Guess who's going to have more fun?
    edited August 2013
    Buying a new car is more fun than buying new tires. It's like getting an additional $500 rebate on the new ride. Makes perfect sense to me.
    And don't forget to keep your head down when putting.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    And don't forget to keep your head down when putting.

Actually, when I mess up, I don't keep my head down on the full swing.

How can a game where the ball doesn't move be so maddening?
    what's MSRP on that puppy?

Most are north of $35k; a 2012 with average miles can be found for under $30k.

That's a lot of money to justify if you're not off-roading. If you want a fun skateboard you could buy a MINI for that money.
    How are those Coopers holding up? Consumer Reports rated them highly, for whatever that's worth, and they're one of the more affordable replacements for the GLI when the time comes.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Add a punch.

2013 Accord EXL. Pearl white, tan leather. Not a sports sedan, but it drives well, is comfortable, and so far is showing 33mpg combined on the first tank with a city/hwy mix. Not bad for simple old unleaded on a green engine, and a full tank shows 550+ mile range.

I finally drove the 2014 Mazda 6 as well and liked it, but was totally turned off by the dealer experience. That could be a separate post. Still, if you have a good local Mazda dealer, its a great option.

Anyhow, there's going to be a bit of learning curve with this car: forward collision warning, lane departure warning, text msg and email support, pandora, aha radio, lane watch camera, smart key, etc. I guess I'm getting old...I had to read the manual.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Those Crosstours are on my list as well. I like it as a used car - comfortable, reliable and functional, but relatively unloved in the market, so depreciation is pretty significant.

Reasonably miled (20-30k) 4wd EX-L models (V6) are easily in the low $20k's these days. If I can find one in the teens next year when I'm looking, I think it'd be a nice option. Wouldn't mind the FWD 4-cyl model either for better gas mileage, but those weren't made until 2012 I think - so less of them out on the used market.

Congrats on the Accord - I really like this new model.

I do like the Mazda6 too, and may even prefer it over the Accord, but I know what you mean regarding the "attitude" at some of these Mazda dealers. But to their credit, they are finally making cars that are competing well - there's hardly any room in negotiation it seems on the CX-5. And I imagine the initial demand will be high on the upcoming Mazda3.

I'm sure after some of the newness dies off on the Mazda6, there will be more deals. As good as it may be, that segment is just too competitive.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    How in a CCBA group are we talking tires.... Who keeps a car long enough?

1. Most stock tires suck.
    2. I buy mostly used cars with used tires.
    3. I wear out tires QUICK! Especially via autocrossing and HPDEs.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Congrats on the new Accord. I dig the pearl white color. I sat in an EXL @ the NY Auto Show. They had a display set up to show how their lane watch works. It's very cool technology.

I'd like to hear more about your thoughts on the Mazda 6. Driving impressions & what turned you off about the dealer so much.

That's a lot of money to justify if you're not off-roading. If you want a fun skateboard you could buy a MINI for that money.

Our home/farm is located at the end of a 1500 foot tree-lined gravel road, so I need one vehicle with serious off-road capability. I have a 1999 Wrangler TJ but the switch to the JK would envision replacing 3 vehicles with an off-roader with a somewhat civilized daily driver.
    As for the Mini, I am less than impressed with our local dealer(even though they do have a nice CPO MCS Clubman JCW). If I recommit to a hot hatch I'll keep my MS3 or else go with an Abarth 500 or Fiesta ST...

I know you have toyed with the idea of a prius. Had mine for 3 years now and about 32k miles. The thing that still surprises me is how roomy the cabin is compared to a lot of mid-sized cars. MPG is about 50 and no mechanical issues at all. Maintenance is super cheap which is nice. All around it is a nice hatchback that we will keep for many more years. There is no excitement in how it rides or handles but it getting 50-60 mpg soothes my cheap soul. You have to drive a lot of miles to make buying one worth it. If I was buying today, I'd probably be shopping for something else because we don't drive much anymore and the hybrid premium doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Just a thought for your pre-swing routine. With all the things that can go wrong when swinging a golf club, it's a wonder anyone makes good contact with the ball. You're welcome.
    haven't driven the Abarth 500 although on paper it doesn't look that fast. I drove the Pop and compared to the MINI it has a mushy feel in handling. It is definitely more tuned to the commuter than the sports-person.
    edited August 2013
    My impressions on the 6? Sure. I took it for a nice long test drive.

I read a number of reviews before driving either of these cars. Its funny now to see what I agree and disagree with.

First off, these cars are much more similar than not. I agree with a recent TTAC review that said that in terms of handling, a lot comes down to the wheel/tire package: the 6 ships with 225's on 19's while the the Accord has 215's on 17's. It enables the 6 to be a bit sharper, but in the words of the reviewer

"In truth there is little daylight between the Accord and the Mazda6 in terms of ride. The Mazda does seem to have a slight edge when it comes to handling but that is mostly down to the rubber choices. The Fusion seems softer to me."

The C&D and MT comparisons made the handling differences seem much greater, but I didn't find that to be true in my limited exposure. I didn't take them to the track, however. But you won't either.

The 6 is 80 lbs lighter. The steering is a bit firmer too, but brakes feel the same. One of the bigger differences to me was the throttle responsiveness. The 6 has a 6AT only in Grand Touring trim, which is what I was looking at. I've driven Mazda's 6AT in the 3 and the Miata and always thought it was one of the best AT's on the market. Which is why I was so surprised that the 6 transmission was so lethargic. It is programmed for mpg, and is not quick to respond to inputs. It has paddle shifters and they do help. They do override gears in D if you need to kickdown - nice, and unfortunately necessary.

The Accord doesn't have this problem. I've never driven a CVT I liked until now; Honda's powertrain guys have nailed it. Quick to respond, no lag, etc. The Accord Sport comes with paddle shifters, but I don't know why you'd need them. 0-60 times seem to be about the same from both - low to mid 7's depending on the review. Mpg is virtually identical as well.

Both are nice inside, but here they feel different. The 6 has a high belt line, so you get the bath tub effect in regards to outward visibility. The Accord has a much lower window sill, so it feels much airier inside, with better visibility. The seats are good in both: power for both driver and passenger with memory. The 6 has more side bolstering, the Accord more adjustability. At 6'2", I had an issue with the 6 seating position; I like to sit fairly upright and as such, my head was brushing the ceiling even with the seat all the way down. I like the dash arrangement on the 6 better, reminds me a little of a Japanese E90 or something. The infotainment is pretty bad; this was touched on in that same TTAC review. Hard to read, slow to respond. Actually that's being kind...really slow to respond. A let down. The Accord dash is a little wackier with the twin center displays, but is still easy to read and way more responsive. The lanewatch camera might be okay...I keep forgetting its there and haven't really looked at it.

The 6 looks better. I think the Accord styling might age better.

Comparison tests make for poor reading if they say they drive similarly, so I think they tend to accentuate the differences as much as possible. I found them to both be class-leading options.

I won't get into my actual Mazda dealer experience since dealers vary. But it wasn't good, and I went to three different dealers. Anyway, real world, the Accord was over $3k cheaper to buy here in the PNW, EXL vs GT. The 6 is in shorter supply, and the dealers know it...clearly the deals I saw were not very compelling. In addition, thanks to typical Honda resale, I'd guess the Accord will be worth more in 3-5 years than the 6. So it got my vote.

Thanks for your feedback on your Prius experience.

I keep coming back to it, 'cause it really is a good option. I'd appreciate the roominess for my kids in the back as well as all their stuff in the hatch.

On a normal commuting day, I drive 30 miles each way to work. On a day when I may be picking up my boys and taking them to sports and such, it can be as much as 100 miles for the day.

So the MPG advantage would be very real.

Any advice on a particular model year (I'd go for 2010+) or options/model?

Did you buy from Craig's store at least? It is so hard NOT to choose Hondas if all other things are equal. They aren't all that exciting, but are built solidly, work well, & have insanely high resale values.

2+ years ago when we bought our 2011 Pilot, I checked every 3 Row, AWD, SUV out. The Highlander, the CX9, Even a Tribecca. None came anywhere near the Pilots combination of space, comfort, & driveability.

Mine is a 2010 and while the newer models look almost identical, they have cut some corners. I have heated real leather on my seats and I think they have gone to a synthetic. No big deal there. My wheels are alloys under the hub caps. I've removed the caps and added a center plug. The new wheels are some sort of painted metal that need to be covered. No big deal there either -- plenty of after market stuff if you are so inclined. As I said before, the only buzz in driving a Prius is watching the mpg readout hover around 50. I don't think it would make sense buying a used base model. The dealers have plenty in stock and should be dealing. Once you get into cars with leatherette, sunroofs and nav, used may be a better option. If you don't mind cloth seats and need JBL speakers, the base would be the way to go. In California, there were prius cars for rent. If you can find one in your neck of the woods, that would help a lot in making up your mind.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did I ask you how your seats were after driving for 3 or more hours? That's one issue I've read about but that's such an individual thing, it may requiring renting one for a day to really be able to tell.
    Drove 7 hours with stops and the seats were fine. I find the padding just right and there is room to move your legs around when on cruise. With both of us past 65 years old, we try to stop for 5-10 minutes every hour stretch our aging frames. We use the LaCrosse for long trips now and it is nicer, quieter-- lots more legroom. Still, we find the leather seats in the Prius to be great for us. It was one of the most important reasons why we bought.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks, we take frequent stops too, but wind up spending 3 to 6 hours in the car "at a stretch". We're both "average" size too, so most cars seem to do okay, although my old Outback isn't that comfy after just an hour or so.
    16 for the year, so far. Keep 'em coming, people! :P

Congratulations on the new car! I love the color combination, it's the same I had on my 2009 Altima (metallic white/tan interior, although mine was cloth). From the gas mileage, I assume it's the four-cylinder. According (see what I did there?) to the reviews I've read, the four cylinder is the one to get, as the added weight of the V6 makes the car feel less sprightly. Did you trade anything in on it?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    I drove the Pop

What's a Pop?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    (see what I did there?)

/facepalm

:p
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Yeah, its the DI 4 cyl. With a 0-60 in the mid to low 7's, its has plenty of power. I hear the V6 is a rocket, although noticeably more nose heavy.

Enjoy the Honda!
    - Ray
    If only Honda sold a turbocharged 4 sports sedan here.....
    2022 X3 M40i
    One of the models of the Fiat 500. Sport, Lounge,Pop etc.
    We moved a few of these to the auction yesterday and the light brown color is starting to win me over. The hydroplaning I encountered last month was a real turn off though especially down here in South Florida which can get loads of rain. But there are tons on the road here and as a commuter vehicle, they fit the bill nicely. From what I remember, it accelerated nicely though it wasn't the most comfortable seating wise. I do love the size and right now, I'm leaning towards the Mini as the better choice though it is the more expensive one. Especially with the price of petrol lately, commuter cars are making more sense and if one needs a larger vehicle for a long trip, rent one.

The Sandman

I think the hydroplaning must have been a tire issue. I monitor a couple of 500 boards and no one has mentioned that. My main concern with the Abarth is comfort on 2-3 hour runs. I'd love to have one for a couple of days to ensure it would be up to the task.