Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    100K is a very good time to pull the rip cord on an Audi IMO. As you know, major repairs on this car are expensive and after 100K, it is not unreasonable that major components could fail.

I plan to "save" my aging MINI by buying an inexpensive pickup truck. I bet I could pay for a good chunk of the truck itself in a couple years by not having to do major work on the MINI.

We're in the same boat here, as my Volvo just turned 120K, and the wife's Elantra is approaching 100K. These days the Volvo is getting about 18K/year while the Elantra is driven about 7K a year. If we replace her car sooner than later, that becomes the primary road trip vehicle and takes some of the mileage from the Volvo (think closer to 12-13K a year on each car).

The CCB itch has been there, just getting that much closer to being able to justify having a car payment and pulling the trigger. Of course, I just did the 120K on the Volvo, to the tune of $1300 (almost $500 of that because the coil packs were cracking) and the PS pump might be starting to leak, and that will be $650 when it goes. Almost makes me wonder if we're trading the right car, but if we did that the replacement would be an SUV and I'd be driving the Hyundai during the week.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    I'm still in the running so long as only 1 more car is purchased between now and the end of the year.

Bwahahahahahahahhahahahah! Best laugh of the day! What's more, Jolie's Explorer isn't on the list. :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    The only tire with which I have not had to sacrifice one for the other is the Goodyear TripleTred. I get excellent life and excellent performance out of those (for an all-season tire). But, there is a down side: Despite what the manufacturer says, fuel economy does go down while using them. On my Forester, it is a consistent 1 mpg less as compared to the OEM tire when averaged over the course of the season (mid-April through Sept).

Hello cake, I shall eat you....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    "What's more, Jolie's Explorer isn't on the list."

Oops. Fixed!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    still liking my 28!

And I see Breld is leading for most by a single member in the year so far. I'm pretty certain I have a 3rd coming before year end.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    The board for this one:

I hit a big MILEstone today in my Prelude. 150,000 miles!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    my (sons) TL just ticked over 170K.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm going to hit 190,000 in my '99 Quest in about an hour.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Please tell me it has the original battery and you won't swap it out until it fails.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2013
    The OEM one died at age 3 in 2001 - $40 for a new one.

That replacement died in '09 and I paid $75 to replace it.

I can drive the other car and trickle charge the battery if one dies, and neither car is new enough to have much in the way of sensors that like having retained power. But I wouldn't stretch one much since I'm living where it gets cold now. It was around 14°F when the timing belt broke, but we got a tow fast.
  • ohenryxohenryx Member Posts: 285
    The 2008 Passat I just bought is going to roll over into 6 digits later this week. And speaking of batteries, the last time it was at the dealer (about one month ago, which was before I purchased it), it got a new battery. It was up on the rack having the transmission serviced (recall for a servo? required the transmission pan being dropped, so the auto transmission has been serviced!)

Anyway, when they went to drive it off the rack after the transmission service, the battery was stone cold dead! Lasted a hair over 5 years. You could look at this 2 ways

1) Excellent place to have the battery die, in the dealership service department. No fuss, no muss, no bother, all good.

2) Highest priced battery you're likely to find (not so good).
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Will pass 1,000 on the new VW this week.
    - Ray
    New car, new battery - etc....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    '02 Lexus RX300 just turned 136,000 miles. New shoes and vapor recovery cannister on the near-future list.

'09 Jag XK, just hit the Big Four 0,000. It's British, I'm somewhat frightened of what may be on the near-future list (but not shoes or brakes, that happend in it's mid-30s!)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Did 4 Ft. Myers to Lauderdale trips this weekend so it was a good couple of days. Drove a couple of Jeep Liberties, a Ford Fusion (last generation) and a '12 Nissan Sentra. Am starting to really like the Jeeps and the boss made sure to comment when he gave me the keys to the 1st one how he remembered I really loved the Wrangler with the broken top I drove back in July. Today's trip almost was a no go as no one knew what was going on till 11:25 this morning. Saturday was a planned mission so we left base at 8 and were done by about 4:30 but when I texted the boss at 7:30 this morning, he had no idea what the story was even though we were told we had another double header today. Communication is the big problem with this company unfortunately and lots of times we just don't know what we are doing. Friday I was texting with a co-worker at about 8:30 and she said hold tight, they might need you and within 3 minutes, the boss called and asked if me and another guy would do a special gig for Sixt in Miami.

On the 2nd trip today as I was exiting the 12 pack, my bad leg gave way and next thing I know, I'm on the ground! My leg went numb again and I just tumbled out the door! A bit bruised and sore right now but that will pass. The others were great as they rushed over to pick me up and we ended up having a good laugh about it later when we got back to base...guess it did look kinda funny at the time...never a dull moment when I'm around!
    Hopefully this work will continue...it's great to work!!!!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Good to know; I'll be replacing the Contis on my wife's 3er in 6-8 months...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Only low mileage creampuffs here...

2009 328i: 47,400
    2007 MS3: 126,900
    2004 X3: 155,700
    1999 Wrangler: 111,050
    1995 318ti: 135,700
    1975 2002: 202,800

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    My best friend in CA contacted me on Friday. His sisters Mazda Protege died after 220,000 miles and he was looking for opinions about a replacement. He's thinking an Acura TL or Infiniti G ( my friend drives a mid 90's J30 with close to 200K on it).

After some back and forth texting, I recommended either another Mazda (3 or 6) or an Accord, all of which can be had for comfortably under her $30k budget.

Last I heard, I think she's going with another Mazda. I'll keep folks posted on what she ends up with.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    A friend of mine lives near Detroit working 'in' the car parts business. It seems on the weekends there are a lot of American Iron car gatherings, etc.

What's going to happen in another 20-25 yrs.? People aren't buying near as many American cars like they did in the 50's-60's-70's. Our antique cars are all going to be Mercedes, Jaguar's, Nissan's, Toyota's, Volvo's, Audi's, Honda's, etc. Our future American cars show will be so much smaller than what we see today. I haven't bought an American car since the 1981 Oldsmobile and a Jeep in 1996 (was American owned then).

Just something to think about...

Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    An antique car has to be rare and cool to have value as collectibles. Certain current high option high power Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes have potential but who knows.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    What's going to happen in another 20-25 yrs.?

The American manufacturers of automobiles (Ford, GM, Chrysler) woke up in the early 2000's and started producing vehicles that performed better, were easier to maintain, drove more like a European Sports Sedan and handled as well, and most importantly, started building vehicles of higher quality with less emphasis on putting out millions of cars and trucks as quickly as they could.

Unfortunately, Americans had switched to Japanese, Korean and German vehicles during the 1990's through the mid 2000's and still have memories of what American made cars were like to own, maintain, and drive. It is going to take several decades of constant improvements in American manufacturing of vehicles to undo what they did to themselves.

As most of you know, I have owned BMW and now Mercedes cars for almost 20 years now and have not really been disappointed in these German imports. They tend to be a bit more pricey than American cars, but the quality of build and fit, not to mention the handling and stability of these cars makes it well worth the extra dollars needed to buy and maintain one.

I have seriously looked at Cadillac, but the CTS and ATS are too small with very limited interior space and trunk volume. The Lincoln cars are also a bit cramped and I would not buy a Chrysler product at this point. So, in the class of car (size, power, performance and handling) I desire, there isn't much in the American made market for me to contemplate.

IMHO, until American manufacturers can match, if not surpass, their Japanese and European competition, things will remain dismal for American cars. I do feel, however, that American built small and heavy trucks are superior to European and Japanese makes - so that will keep the industry alive long enough for them to overcome their miscalculations during the 80's, 90's and early 2000's.

2021 Genesis G90

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm trying to find out what 2000-2002 Ford Rangers are going for at auction, ext. cab V6.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Having been a fan of the CRX, and small Hondas in general, I always liked the CR-Z since it came out (not that it necessarily captured the CR-X's spirit as well as one would've liked).

Used ones are becoming more available and, like the Crosstour, they seem to be depreciating quite a bit.

There are a couple of local ones with reasonable miles for what seems to be attractive prices - a 2011 EX Manual w/18k miles, listed for $14.9k, and a 2011 EX CVT w/26k miles, listed for $13.9k.

The 2-seater configuration is what holds me back - not sure how often it would really work for me. But I'm starting to get tempted at those prices, just to have some fun with it and then unload it when I decide it's no longer useful. Can't imagine the depreciation would be all that great at those prices.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

My first thought is that the 2 seater config will not be compatible with all the kids you have - 4, is it?

I gotta believe that a back seat is mandatory.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    I looked at these too. It depends how you plan to use it, IMO. Loud and harsh for freeway. Good seats. Available manual. Owners beat EPA pretty easily on Fuelly. Terrible blind spots and visibility. They are getting cheaper.

I think half of people's complaints about this car would have went away if Honda named it the Insight Sport, and not CRZ. Totally different expectations.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

I think half of people's complaints about this car would have went away if Honda named it the Insight Sport, and not CRZ. Totally different expectations.

Huh, never thought of it quite like that. All the fanbois were hoping the CRZ would be the second coming of the CRX. Didn't quite work out that way.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yeah - the 2-seater defeats the purpose as a commuter car. There are only 1-2 days a week when I don't have to have some sort of backseat, so the high MPG car would sit in the garage while I take something else.

I just like a good deal : ).

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I'm the opposite. For the 7 months I had my Integra, the back seat was never used.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I'm the opposite. For the 7 months I had my Integra, the back seat was never used.

Right, but both your kids drive. Breld still has littler kids at home .. IIRC, only one of them is close to having her license. That's who the Veloster was purchased for.

A good deal really isn't if you can't use the value of the item you purchased.
    Yup - my two boys are 8 and 10, plus a 15 year-old stepdaughter and a 17 year-old stepson. The 17 year old has disabilities that will prevent him from ever being a driver. There are literally only 1-2 days a week that I'm not transporting my boys one way or the other, so a 2-seater would see little use. That's exactly why I switched out my Miata for the GTI.

So, yes, doesn't do much good to have a good deal sitting in the garage, especially if it's an ideal commuter like the CR-Z. All of these factors continue to point toward a possible Prius in my future.

BTW, am I the only one who doesn't seem to have the formatting tools and Emotorcons available when posting anymore?

BTW, am I the only one who doesn't seem to have the formatting tools and Emotorcons available when posting anymore?

Nope, nobody's got them .. Edmunds is working on a solution.

Sorry to be the one to rain on your parade, but a car with a backseat seems to be a necessity. Prius Sport, perhaps? (if such a thing existed)

Me? I'm real curious about the VW GTD that will be here next year, and how it will compare to the new Mazda 3 due out in a couple of months. Similar HP and MPG ratings, though I suspect the 3 will be a bit less costly and have more 'features'.
    No, they've been down for awhile.

:(

Yeah - that GTD should be very nice based on what I've read. I'm anxious to see the new Golf models overall. I'm thinking the new base 1.8T engine will be inviting - I suspect that will be the model to compare with the Mazda3. The "normal" TDI models are priced similarly to the GTI - I imagine the GTD will carry quite a premium.

Yeah - that GTD should be very nice based on what I've read. I'm anxious to see the new Golf models overall. I'm thinking the new base 1.8T engine will be inviting - I suspect that will be the model to compare with the Mazda3. The "normal" TDI models are priced similarly to the GTI - I imagine the GTD will carry quite a premium.

I went back and read a few of the 'first drive' articles on the new GTD. Expect the base price to be a couple thousand higher than the gas GTI - figure mid 20's for a base model and close to $30K for one fully loaded.

The new 3 will top out around $27K or so, with all the gadgets added. I'm more curious about the driving dynamics of both.

And yes, the 1.8T (170HP?) engine that VW is putting into its cars should be quite a bit better than the 2.5L 5-cyl they are currently using.

I was comparing the TDI to the Skyactiv as the HP figures and mileage estimates are so similar. Not sure what kind of mileage the 1.8T will get.
    edited August 2013
    I went back and read a few of the 'first drive' articles on the new GTD. Expect the base price to be a couple thousand higher than the gas GTI - figure mid 20's for a base model and close to $30K for one fully loaded.

The current GTI already starts at $25k with destination and climbs to $30k loaded, so for the GTD, I'd guess $27-28K to start and $32k loaded. Maybe more.

If the new 3 drives as well as it looks on paper, I think it will be the class leader by some margin.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    As sexy as the 1.8T sounds, I think it's going to be going into the base Golf/Jetta, and not the sporty versions, so I'm guessing goodies like sport seats, sport suspension, low profile tires, and xenons won't be available on the 1.8T models. In terms of power and MPG, I'm assuming it will be competitive with a Mazda3, though.
    My understanding is that the 1.8t will have about 170HP. The 3 will have either the 155hp 2.0 or the 185hp 2.5. No word yet on a new MS3.

When I bought my L300 11 years ago, I got 181hp from a 3.0L V6. Now subcompacts are packing that kind of power - and not even the sporty version!
    170HP is just about right for a small car.
    My 318ti has a Conforti chip and its M42 I4 makes 150 naturally aspirated BHP- which is just enough to be fun in a 2700 pound car.

I know some people say "you can never have enough HP" but I don't personally think that is true. HP can overpower suspension, brakes and tires, and before you know it, you are in the spiral of more HP which needs heavier duty THIS and more of THAT, which in turn allows you more HP, which in turn, blah blah.

Before you know it, you've turned your car beastly.

I looked at a MINI to buy recently that sounded GREAT on paper--more HP, wheel spacers, HD suspension, sport exhaust, new head, bigger injectors, short-shifter, wider tires, engine re-map.

The thing was a snarling buckboard. Way fun, but to drive everyday---nah.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Ditto for me, my 2002 Pathfinder will hit 140,000 today on the way to the gym and I have zero plans to get rid of it. I had it checked out by the local mechanic last week, everything is in great shape and it runs like my original Pathfinder so fingers crossed it lasts a long, long time.
    edited August 2013
    Definitely interested to hear what she chooses. The new Accord and 6 both get great reviews, and tfighter posted a great analysis based on his test drives. You probably won't go wrong with either, although the Accord probably has slightly better long term reliability.
    170HP is just about right for a small car.

I suppose it would depend on the weight. I always calculate the power to weight ratio of any car I'm interested in -- lots of HP is negated by the extra weight.

When we bought the ION in '06, I was hoping we could find one with the optional 2.4L engine ... I always thought that 172HP in something that light would be quite fun, even with the automatic.
    I think they'll have to surpass their Japanese and European competition if they ever want to take the true lead again. Ford and GM have caught up, Chrysler to an extent, but in this market that allows them to compete/tread water but it's not good enough to take a significant lead.

The Japanese and Europeans took a commanding lead due to superior quality and great experiences in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. Unless they falter to GM/Ford/Chrysler levels of those decades or the Americans (or Koreans) make great strides we're likely to see a somewhat level playing field in the foreseeable future.
    We had a similar, albeit not the same, issue with the Leaf. I loved the idea of electric and not buying gas, but in order to make it worth the cost we had to basically drive the Leaf anytime and everytime we could. No more driving the Pathfinder or G37 just around town, if the Leaf sat half the time (which it might) then it just wasn't worth it.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I know some people say "you can never have enough HP" but I don't personally think that is true.

I agree. While flat out speed is fun, a light on it's feet, well balanced car certainly can be more entertaining to drive.

The thing was a snarling buckboard. Way fun, but to drive everyday---nah.

Back when I used to participate in SCCA Solo II events a friend of mine had a '96 Mustang Cobra that had a Kenny Brown competition suspension upgrade. Springs, shocks, bushings, panhard bar, sub-frame connectors, etc. Wow did it make a difference, but man you could probably could tell a nickle from a quarter if you ran it over. It worked great on the track, but to drive everyday would have been tiring to say the least.
    That breathed-on MINI was so stiff that on rough roads you had NO IDEA where the car was going to go next. And torque steer was vicious.
    I do appreciate the pull from my 335i, but I have to admit, I've been feeling nostalgic for a smooth, high-reving 4 cylinder. I've said it before, but my Miata was loads of fun to drive - you could run through the gears, running close to redline, and end up at a nice legal speed.

Same with my old Civic Si, Prelude and TSX.

The old "more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow".

edited August 2013
    The Mazdaspeed is fun, but in an entirely different way from the Club Sport. On the track the ti rewards smooth precise driving; conservation of momentum is critical. In contrast, tracking the MS3 is akin to obedience training an ADHD Pit Bull mainlining crystal meth. It's exhilarating but exhausting- and the 24 bhp added by the Mazdaspeed intake makes it even more manic. The Hypertech and Cobb AccessPort programmers allow you to remove the OEM torque restrictions in gears 1-3; I can only imagine how unmanageable that would be...

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    The Prius Sport exists, it's called the Lexus C200h or something like that.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion