Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• gouldngouldn Member Posts: 220
    TSX v Accord
    Exactly the same choice I went through ... although I was concerned with Automatics (due to SF bay area traffic). Drove a TSX ... nice handler, but was underpowered in my opinion. Drove a 05 Accord EX-V6 coupe ... tons of power ... same mileage ... and doesn't call for premium fuel. I've driven it about 9K now, and am getting 30MPG in a trafficy commute, about 34 on long trips. Plus I got the coupe for $24.8K. Love it so far ... and I may even keep this one for three years!
  • jjtjjjtj Member Posts: 80
    My Silverado 2500 turns about 2K @ 70mph.. 6.0 V8 with a 4-spd automatic & 3.73 gears.. still only gets 15 MPG on the highway though!
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    I got my 78 Chevy back on the road today after fixing those tie rod ends :D . And I don't know what it turns at 70 mph cause it doesn't have a tach, or even a coolant temp gauge. :cry:

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    ....I had a '77 Caprice when I was in high school and college, it had a speedometer, odometer (no trip) and a gas gauge, that was about it; there was a gauge package optional on those cars, but you don't see it too often (not that you even see the cars too often, at this point). Still, that was one of the best cars I ever owned.
    Oh you can enjoy and relive all those memories my friend once you get into this Chevy. It's a 78 Impala which is the same thing as the Caprice and the gauges are exactly as you describe them. I have 99572kms on it and since it's a 5 digit odometer it will turn over to 0 very soon. :shades:

The car floats like a boat, handles like a bus, and guzzles gas like there's no tommorow. I'm thinking of selling it but I like it too much. :)

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    that Impala has a 2.56:1 rear end. If you go to www.tirerack.com, and look up some tires that are the same size that are on your car, in the specs they list how many revolutions per mile the tires will turn. For instance, a 205/75/R-15 tire, which was most likely standard on that car (or they might've cheaped out and put 195/75/R-15s, like Chrysler did on the '79-81 R-bodies) turns 769 rpm. Multiply that by 2.56, and that'll give you the revolutions per mile, which would also happen to be the revolutions per minute at 60 mph. In this case 1969 rpm. To get the rpm@70 mph, just take the 1969 and multiply by 7/6ths, which gives you 2297.

Now I'm sure this isn't an exact calculation, but should give you a pretty close estimate. I'd imagine that the actual rpms of the engine would be a bit higher, due to slippage in the transmission and such, even though these cars probably had a lockup torque convertor by that time.

Oh, and here's a little nostalgia trip for you guys... http://www.tocmp.com/brochures/Chev/1979/index.html
    ...what engine does your Chevy have (BTW, is it a Caprice or Impala)? Mine had the 305 two-barrel V8, which produced a not-so-robust 145hp, IIRC (less than many four-cylinders do now). It never felt all that underpowered, though, and gas mileage seemed OK at the time (probably about 20mpg on the highway, I imagine about 15 in the city). I suppose this car seemed frugal to me at the time mostly because the car I had before was a '71 Buick Electra, which probably used twice as much fuel.

Andre, that brochure reminds me again that almost everything was optional. Didn't matter if you were buying an Impala or Caprice, pretty much the only differences were in trim. If you wanted things we take for granted now on cars (A/C, remote mirrors, rear defrost) on up to more luxurious items (power windows/locks/seat, tilt wheels), you were going to pay for them. Can't remember ever having seen a big Chevy with a power sunroof back then, didn't even know that was optional; of course, you didn't even see those much even on Cadillacs and Lincolns, sunroofs were quite exotic at the time, IIRC.
    I think it has a 305 V8. I personally don't know what the difference is between the Impala and the Caprice as they both looked identical (maybe it was a trim level?).

Mine is pretty basic as it has no power windows, no power locks, no tilt, no cruise. It has an AM Radio with "tone" control ;) with a centrally mounted dash speaker (for that surround sound impression :P ).

It has no tach, no coolant temp guage, no trip odometer, no factory windshield washer (it does have an aftermarket one ), no right headlight and grille at the moment. It does however have the rear window defroster, four ashtrays, a cigarette lighter, and a big ol' bench seat in the front.

On another note I think I'm (gulp) grown up!!!! :surprise: :cry:

I had my new Civic for a month now and even though I have an aftermarket exhaust and a nice sound system ready for it (from my previous Civic) I am in no hurry to install it. For some reason I want to leave it stock, enjoy the neweness of the car, and have a nice quiet ride. I guess I don't feel the need to impress anyone with a big coffee can exhaust and pounding bass.

Maybe next year I'll rebecome immature :blush:

if it's an Impala or a Caprice is whether or not there's carpeting on the lower door panels. You could get cloth or vinyl in both the Impala and Caprice, but the Impala, at least the '77-85, never had carpeting on the lower door panels. As for the grille, they were very close in '78, but the Caprice had kind of an eggcrate grille, with the horizontal bars being about as thick as the vertical bars, while the Impala's grille had three prominent horizontal bars, and with much more horizontal grille openings.

Impala and Caprice taillights were usually different, too. The Impala usually had the backup light in between the two outer lights. The Caprice usually had three red taillights on either side, with backup lights inboard, framing the license plate.

As for whether it's a 305 or a 350, chances are it's a 305. That's how most of them were equipped. One way to tell though, would be to take the top off the air cleaner and see whether it's a 2-bbl or a 4-bbl. I think there was a 4-bbl option for the 305, but the vast majority of them were 2-bbls. The 350 was only offered as a 4-bbl by that time.

The 350 is also a pretty gutsy engine, even the emasculated ones from around that time. While it only had 170 hp, I think it had around 280-290 ft-lb of torque. So if you had one, I don't think you'd be complaining about it feeling weak or anything! Well, unless you're used to driving Mustang 5.0's or something! :shades:
    ...the Mustang 5.0s of the time only had about 150hp, IIRC, so the 350 would only compare unfavorably to a newer version. Actually, I got the Caprice rather than the orange '79 Mercury Capri 5.0 someone was selling right around the corner from my HS. I really liked that car, but it was more money than mom wanted to spend (actually, my uncle talked her out of it, I think he was jealous), so I got the Caprice instead, which was probably a good thing in the end (I got in enough trouble as a teenager with a car, absent parents and a fairly serious substance abuse problem as it was, don't think an orange V8 pony car would have helped any!).
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Just came back from the local Ford dealer .. working from home today, stopped in to get an idea of what the 30K service will be for the Focus. Service advisor handed me a pamphlet, portions of which I will paste here:

30K service includes:

Change Engine Oil and Filter
    Lubricate Steering and Suspension
    Inspect Tires for Wear and Rotate
    Inspect Steering and Suspension
    Inspect Air Filter, extra if needed
    Replace Cabin Air Filter, if equipped, extra if needed
    Inspect Brake System
    Perform Transmission Flush Service
    Replace Fuel Filter
    Perform Power Steering Service
    Perform Multi-Point Inspection
    With BG MOA Oil Additive, add $10.52 ea.

The cost for all of the above?

A low, low, $388.75!

Gulp!

Comments?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    probably about right for a dealer service. And while it probably includes some items that aren't required in the manual, I would do all of them except maybe the PS service, just as preventive maintenance. Assuming of course you plan to keep the car for a while.

You could save some money by having it done by a local mechanic if you have one, but probably not that much, since there is a fair amount of labor involved. Or, do some of the easy stuff yourself and save some $$ (stuff like the air filter). You can also save by having the rotation and various inspections done at a reputable tire/brake shop.

pretty much it becomes a function of how comfortable you are with non-dealer service centers, and how much time/energy you want to invest in the process.

But, a Focus isn't exactly a Maybach, so you should be able to get this basic service done just about anywhere. The only piece that I worry about is the tranny service, since you want to make sure they use the correct fluid. That one I always like a dealer to do, but that's just me.

Hey, you asked for my opinion!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

the power steering service is most likely Bull. FWIW, I've NEVER had a power steering service done on my '00 Intrepid, and it's got 110,000 miles on it now. Although now that I said that, watch it fail on me! I've never had a fuel filter replaced, either. Usually they're in the tank nowadays, and they're supposed to be good for the life of the car...which means that when they DO fail, you're talking some big bucks!

I also doubt there's anything in the steering and suspension that can be lubed anymore...isn't most of that stuff usually sealed away these days? I thought grease fittings were a thing of the past? You might want to get the tranny service done, depending on how you drive. I've had my Intrepid's tranny done every 30,000 miles, just to be safe. The last time I had it done was at a local tranny shop, and they charged around $78.

$388 sounds like an awful lot to me for just poking around a car, rotating the tires, changing a few filters, and flushing the power steering and tranny. But, the times they are a'changin'!
    isn't this FOcus a stick? If so, discount the price of the tranny service, since that assumes it is an AT. At most, they would drain/refill the transaxle fluid, which probably isn't needed at this point anyway, but a local guy could easily do it.

the Dodge dealer tried to get me to come in for a 30,000 mile service on my Intrepid. They wanted to hit me up with a bunch of stuff like belts (60K interval, according to the owner's manual) and hoses (5yr/100K), coolant flush 5yr/100k), a tuneup (50k severe service/100K "regular" service), and other assorted bull, for around $300. The main thing I was concerned about was the transmission, which this service didn't even cover! I think they wanted to hit me with another $150 or so for that!
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    Find out what the warranty requires and find a local shop to do whatever the owners manual suggests for each service interval.

All that 'inspect this and that' is pretty much nonsense at the mileage you have. I am sure that the actual MANUFACTURER recommended items have much longer intervals and I think the dealers load up their services way over what is needed.

Finally, I think you will find that there would be a recommendation in the owners manual against any kind of oil or fuel additives so that last line makes me call the entire thing into question even if the rest were valid items.

JR
  • bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    The moral of the story: Find a service provider you can trust.

From my unfortunate experience with a Ford, I think yours at 30K miles is about on its last legs. If you find someone you trust to service the car, it may last for a few more days.
    sounds like a Ford-hater! :shades: FWIW, there's a kid here at work with a 2000 Focus, and he doesn't take very good care of it. It's a 5-speed, and he's got around 83,000 miles on it. Now I doubt that he'll make it to 100K miles, but when it blows I think it'll be more his fault than the car's!
    I called the dealer where I purchased the Focus, and they quoted me $425 for the 30K service!

I asked about the transmission, since it is a stick, and they told me they drop the pan, check the gaskets and filters, and replace the fluid.

Next step will be to check the owners manual to see what the manufacturer says ought to be done.

bobst: ouch! I'm kinda hoping that it'll last longer than the 31K I currently have on it .. though I know you have an affinity for Honda products, I'm reasonably confident that the stuff made in the US (well, Mexico in the case of the Focus) is pretty well screwed together.

Other than the normal lube, oil and filter, plus some tire rotations, the Focus hasn't needed to see the inside of the shop in the 22 months we've owned it.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    I would get under the car and make sure that tranny even has a pan. I can't remember a manual tranny I've owned that had one.

2nd, as far as all those "inspect this and that" garbage, why not do it yourself? Take a look at the brakes. Pads and rotors still good? Done.
    Check the belts. not frayed? tension good? Done.
    Etc.

I don't believe in paying a dealer to check anything. I check it and I'll tell them when its time to replace or fix.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Lose that service guy quick.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Had Zippy's 30k service done and she's now at 47k with no issues. I use Amsoil 0W-30, change the oil filter at 12,500 miles and change the oil and filter at 25k. Been doing this since she had 10k miles on her with no issues. Last oil analysis showed the oil was ready to be changed at 25k (had already changed it), but no issues with the engine.
    I doubt, in this day and age, a 'relatively' simple car like a Focus should need a $400 service at 30k. It's always good to have the basics checked out, but often you can have half that stuff done free or at nominal cost with an oil change. As far as brakes, they normally go at about 40k, right? So just pay attention to the squeaking, same as always; fluids can be checked in a few minutes, then topped off; and with a manual transmission, I can't see the need for any 'transmission service'.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Manual transmissions have a case, not a pan, and have no filters to check. Lose that service department in a DOUBLE quick hurry. They are either completely incompetent or more likely trying to rip you off by charging you for a "standard service" consisting mostly of items your car doesn't need!

It doesn't even need fresh transmission oil at that age, really.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    How's the LS working out? Do you regret trading the 350 yet?
    Thanks for the feedback ... the only issues that the car is having at the moment is some squeaking brakes (been that way since I bought the car), but now I'm getting a bit of "shudder" through the steering wheel, which may mean that I need to have them looked at a bit closer, plus the power steering "groans" when making a left turn.

I've never been much of a shade tree mechanic - I once drained the crankcase of my folks '73 Corona and put 5 quarts of oil in the transmission, then attempted to drive 35 miles to a basketball game when I was in high school - so I've never had a problem taking my cars into the dealer for service.

But, as many of you rightfully point out, $400 for what amounts to a glorified LOF with a bunch of inspections seems a bit steep.

I'm curious as to what the local "drive thru" oil change place would charge .. perhaps a phone call to them might be in order.

BTW, this would be the last visit to the dealer while the car is still under the 3/36 warranty, so there might be an advantage to having them give the car a once over and get any warranty items taken care of.
    good point. If the PS is groaning, have them look at that at least.

the shudder occur? If it does it while you're braking, then your rotors could be warped. Otherwise, you might just need your tires balanced. Often when your tires go out of balance, there's a certain speed that the car will shudder. For instance, my '89 Gran Fury used to be fine up to around 60 mph, but would then shudder, until you got it up over 70 or so.

One other possibility is a bent rim, which might also make the steering shudder at certain speeds.

Also, you might want to watch some of those quickie lube places...they're often more gouge-happy than the dealer! I guess I'm also a bit leery, because I've had bad experiences with some of them. Years ago, my uncle took our '85 Silverado to a quickie place to have the oil changed. This was back in the early 90's, when it hardly got driven. I was still in college, and maybe once or twice a week I'd drive it to school just so it wouldn't sit. Well, one morning, a few days after the oil had been changed, I hopped in the truck and turned the key. Oil light came on like it normally does...but never went off! I shut it off immediately, popped the hood, and checked the dipstick. Dry. Looked underneath to find a loose drainplug, and a nice slick on the grass where the truck was parked.

Oh, and a few years ago, I had a bit of a run-in with Firestone. The exact quote I got from the managerette on duty was "LOOK, we don't have time to look up the oil requirements of every single car out there. 10W-30 works fine with most of them!" Ummm, seems to me that if you're a professional, then knowing, or looking up if you DON'T know, the oil requirements of a customer's car just goes with the territory!

Oh yeah, the only times I've had power steering groan was when it was running low on fluid. It was saying "FEED ME"! :)
  • asafonovasafonov Member Posts: 401
    I would stay away from massively franchised LOF shops (everybody knows their names) that advertise 12.99 or 15.99 oil changes. Use word of mouth, or Cartalk's Mechani-X files search to locate a reputable mechanic in your area. I'd rather pay extra 5 or 10 dollars for an oil change for the knowledge that it is performed by somebody I know, with more than a few days experience on the job.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    its fine, thanks for asking. Not as comfy as my volvo and certainly not as sporty as the Z, but it does ok. makes for a decent highway cruiser.

Heck, I regretted trading the Z before I even did it, but sometimes you gotta do things you don't want to do.

Saw that new Z commercial on TV last night. That was painful. :(

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

went for a test drive today (2006 Civic). DIdn't do any business, bucause while I liked the car, I wasn't swpet off my feet on the first date. I plan to go look and drive another one tomorrow to see how things go. But for now, I'm probably maintaining status quo, but I am definitely officially in the market.

The 2006 Accord was a nice piece, but they are up to $24,700 MSRP for an EX-L 4 cyl 5 speed stick. Lotta coin for the configuration.

I'm real interested in seeing the Fusion when it comes out to compare it to the Honda's. Doesn't hurt that my neighbor is the GSM at a Ford dealer either.

but the last couple of trips down that road haven't been as fulfilling as I hoped. I just need to figure out what I really want, and buy it and hold onto it for a long time. And since my eldest just started high school, forever may be a long, long time (tuition issues and all that).

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    The exception I have seen is that Big O Tires tends to have good, honest service (and, they're cheap, at least for the things I used them for). The ones I've been to don't do transmission fluid or coolant, but they can handle the LOF stuff, tires, brakes, shocks, and alignment, which is nearly all you need.

Most of us will never own a car long enough to reap the benefit of maintaining it according to a dealer's excessive schedule. Even if we did, it might not pay off. I see way too many people ignore or creatively interpret service requirements on Camries, 626's and the like, and these people still have reliable cars. I think a lot of it is just dumb luck.
    What did you not like about the Civic? Hopefully Gee and I can get out soon to take a look at them. We plan to tomorrow when we go on our quarterly toy shopping trip for little Gee.

The new Accord may MSRP for $24,700 but I have a feeling you could probably get one for around $22,000. A leftover 05 would be even less. You'd be missing out on the refresh and heated mirrors but otherwise it has all of the safety equipment you need (good selling point to Mrs. Stickguy), good performance, and great gas mileage consider the size of the car.

The Fusion is interesting. However, I'm not to fond of the interior. Overall, it's OK but that steering wheel is not to my liking. It also looks a bit dated to me, at least in the photos I've seen recently. Additionally, it uses the same 2.3L as the Mazda6 if I am not mistaken but is bigger and heavier. That doesn't sound good for performance. The 6 is a bit of a dog at low RPM as it is. And they muted the sound of the engine. One thing I enjoyed about the 6 with the 5-speed and the 2.3 was the sound and feel of the car at high RPM.
    I hated to trade my 03 EX-L Accord Coupe 5-speed manual for the automatic sedan. Hated it even more when I had the baby and realized that I wanted my stick back. Hated it even more than that when the CCB in me took over and I traded the automatic Accord for a 5-speed Accord. I should've listened to Gee when he questioned my desire for the automatic.......
    The only thing that didn't seem quite right on the CIvic was the comfort level of the front seats. But, I didn't spend much time fiddling, and the plastic was still on, so I plan to give it another chance tomorrow. DId seem to drive nice.

Odd as it may seem, I try to avoid test drivng a car before any prep (with plastic everywhere, filthy, etc.). Plus, you never no if everything is in order. I really am concerned with the seats, since they are tres important to me (I just like good seats, and have some back issues). The Accord does feel good though.

The supply of '05s (especially sticks, limited to start with) is starting to dry up. My dealer had a ton of '06s already hidden in back. And maybe it is shallow, but I do like the new butt better! Although for a killer deal, I can live with the old one. I even really like it in your color (Redrock).

However, not likely that they are dropping 2.5K off MSRP on an '06 anytime soon. Maybe a clearance deal on an '05 for close to 20?

I really do want to like the CIvic more, since it is over 4K cheaper MSRP (18.8 vs. 23K, comparing EX to EX)

in our Accord is one of the reasons I love it. Even when I was 9 months pregnant I was comfortable. No back or butt pain on long trips either. Before I make a final judgement I will have to see and drive the Civic in person. I'm also guessing that you might have liked the EX more because it has an armrest and the roof. It's usually not a good idea to test drive a car that's not identical to the one you want.

After seeing the 06 Accord in person I think I like my 04 better. IMHO, the 04 Accord looks like it was designed with the whole car in mind. With the 06 I got the impression they just fixed what people said was wrong with it. I like the new rear by itself but think the 03-05 rear suits the rest of the car better. I know I am in the minority though.

Doesn't seem like you drive much so why not go all out and lease yourself a 06 6-speed sedan? You'd give up a couple of MPG but gain a whole lot in the way of power and driving fun. Take the money from your tC and let it draw interest.
    you are a good enabler, aren't you? If my wife thought like you, we would be in BK most likely.

I am actually trying to avoid buying something too pricey, or too powerful, but I can certainly be convinced to waive that last part. If I drove a 6+6, I might drop off the wagon.

With a Civic, my car (paid off) plus a few grand loose change and I still have new wheels and no payment. If the new car comes with payments, I will get the evil eye from Mrs. stick, but I can live with that.

Also, the Civic LX has a fantastic armrest, seems quite similar to the Accord I also sat in. I require a roof, but the EX civic was otherwise pretty identical to the LX. I did test fit, and had plenty of headroom (moe than I got now!).

I plan to go shopping early tomorrow. Will ahve to get the salesguy to find the CIvic and 5 and 6 speed Accords if he can.

OT (assuming we have one here) but something this dealer group now has that facilitates impulse shopping is cool. Instead of waiting while the sales dude writes down stock numbers and wanders away to look for keys, they have boxes on each car (similar to the electronic key boxes realtors now use). He puts in the code, and gets the keys to any car. Pretty handy since most of th stock is now kept in a somewhat remote cnetral lot (it's a mutli store dealer row operation).

drove both back to back this morning. Civic was impressive, and surprisingly close in roominess, at least up front, although I fit fine in the back too. Mostly just a little narrower

Drove an Accord EX 5 speed. Nice driving car, slightly quieter/less sporty/more relaxed than the CIvic. It did have great seats though. The Civics felt a bit better than the ones in the car I drove last night (but I really do neet to try a car without plastic wrap on the seat), but not quite Accord level. I actually think I would be happy with either one, even though they do have soemwhat different personalities.

To me, the Accord doesn't really offer enough extra value to justify the difference in price (18.8k for the Civic, 23K for the Accord), with is just over 4 grand. Of course, real world pricing may be closer, but I do think the Accord is a little overpriced, or maybe I'm just out of touch.

• gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    You have no idea how true that is. When you have a wife who works for a car dealership, that knows how to calculate a lease, and can memorize MSRP, TMV and real world pricing on any car that you ever had an inkling of owning.

Not to mention this same wife tells you that " you've been a good boy so you can go out and buy whatever you want". That's why we've had 30 cars in 10 years.
    my wife would drive the same car forever if it was up to her to go out and buy a new one. She's intimidated by the buying process, and has no clue about that other stuff. That's why she has me.

And, either I'm not as good as you, or she doesn't care! Although she will no longer get involved when I am looking for myself (I drive her crazy with it), so I pretty much have carte blanche to get whatever I want. She knows I'm too cheap to buy anything real expensive!

• akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Am I slipping up or what?? The Titan is 10 months old, we've had the Ram for 22 months, and Zippy is 14 months old. I have ZERO desire to go buy anything else........well, except for a log truck, but that's a whole 'nother ball game.

Is it time for me to turn in my CCBA membership card??

BTW, Zippy has just shy of 48k miles on her........I still love my little car!! :blush:
    Before I met my wife, I think she owned 3 cars in 15 years:

VW Beetle
    Datsun 210
    Ford Tempo

In the 9 years we've been together, she's had the following as her daily drivers for a length of time:

Ford Escort LX
    VW New Beetle
    Ford Explorer
    Saturn L300
    Saturn VUE

Plus, we've bought or leased the following that she hasn't driven regularly:

Ford Expedition
    Chevrolet Tracker
    Ford Focus
    Saturn L200

Strangely, like Jolie, I'm debating with myself whether to get another car or not. The L300 has, I think, 43K and is the daughters car. The Focus has 31K on it and gets a steady 30-32MPG on my commute to and from work. The VUE has 12K on it (in 10 months!) and is the wife's daily driver - well, when its her turn to drive with her co-worker.

My office will be moving at the end of next week and I'd really like to start driving the L300 again, but I like the fuel usage of the Focus. That, and has been previously mentioned and debated, the daughter hasn't learned to drive a stick.

As much as I'd like to trade the Focus in for something else for the daughter to drive, I kinda like the idea of her in a larger car, just in case. Plus, it keeps the mileage down - I'm figuring that when the loan is paid off in a couple of years, the L300 will have maybe 70K on it - lots of life left with no car payments.

There really isn't anything wrong with the Focus that makes me want to trade it in - it gets good mileage, has been trouble free, has all the amenities one could want (power windows, locks, cruise, tilt, keyless remote, AC, CD player). About the only thing I could see replacing it with is a Pontiac Vibe, which is very similar in many respects but gets a little bit better mileage (36 hwy vs. 32 for the Focus, according to the EPA).

OTOH, all three of us really like the Saturn Sky, so when it is released early next year, I could see all logic going out the window.

BTW, does anyone know what the MPG figures are for the Solstice? I figure that the Sky will be the same, as they share the same powertrain.
    However, Gee is a good husband and a great Daddy so he deserves a reward. Plus he has put up with me for 10 years ... that's gotta be worth something.

I haven't seen the 06 Civic in person yet. However, if you consider that you will probably be able to get $1000 off of the Civic that puts it at $17,800. The Accord EX 5-speed invoices at $20,000. You should be able to get the Accord for invoice .. maybe even less. So the difference is $2200. The Accord is in it's 3rd/4th year so most of the kinks have been worked out vs. the Civic being a first year model. The Accord also has a front/rear double wishbone suspension.

On the other side, the Civic gets better gas mileage, is smaller so it should be sportier and easier to manevuer, and it's cheaper. It has the same safety equipment as the Accord and pretty much the same luxury options as well.

Guess you have a tough decision to make. FWIW, I love my Accord. No problems in 24,000 miles. Drives great and gives me 31 MPG in mixed driving.

Have you looked at the Mazda3/Mazda6 yet?
    The Solstice is rated at 20/28.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Ouch. Short gearing, I suppose.
    is actually geared fairly tall in top gear, especially compared to the Miata. There were comparos in most of the magazines last month, and the SOlstice came across as the tourer of th ebunch (although it has negligible cargo room). The Miata may not be a great highway cruiser, but at least it has an actual trunk!

Accord vs. Civic will be a tough choice in many cases. Are you sure that invoice is 20K? Maybe that was for the '05. MSRP of an '06 cloth EX is $23,00 even. I did like the Civic, but didn't fall in love, and the Accord does have nice seats.

I did look at Mazdas yesterday. I just don't find the seats in the 6 comfy, but do really like the 3. That car just feels right to me when I sit in it, and the leather seats are nice. I plan to go drive a 3 at lunch today just for the heck of it.

The Civic is rated a little higher mpg (not too much if you get the 3i model), and might be a little more refied, but I think the 3 might be more comfortable. I should have taken one out yesterday when I stopped to test sit (and get my blockbuster certificate singed).

I may decide to hold out for something more luxurious, but that is more $$, so the tC may be around for a while. That is unless the Mazda dealer has something I like, and is willing to make me an offer I can't refuse.

I might swing by the Volvo dealer too, just for the heck of it, in case they have a program car for cheap.

At least the '06 3s are out, so there is a supply to look at.

is the new Civic really that much bigger than the old one? I never could get comfortable in the previous Civic, but the current Accord fits me just fine.