Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1999 Chevy Silverado 5.3 knock @ RPM

mike38mike38 Member Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
99 silverado 5.3 has a noticable knock at about
1500 - 2000 rpm. You can actually hear it while
driving. Truck has 10K on it, Iam wondering if I
should carry-on and let the motor fuilly break-in
till I get woried about it. Any one else have this
knocking/clacking problem. It does it at operating
temperature.

Comments

• dbhulldbhull Member Posts: 150
    See my post in the Silverado XI topic. I am having the same problem. I have 17.5k miles on mine and it had this detonation last Summer as well. As soon as the temps got cool, the detontaion stopped.

I have a 180 degree t-stat and it hasn't helped.
    Catback exhaust helped some, but not significant.
    I just recieved the plugs that I ordered today in the mail. They are the NGK TR6 plugs (one range colder firing and copper core vise platinums). The think this will help. The platinum plugs retain heat more than the copper core plugs do, which causes higher cylinder temps. GM did this primarily for EPA. Great for gas mileage, poor on performance. This is why I think they covered themselves by putting in the owners manual that some spark knock is normal. Bull!

I am going to install these plugs tomorrow night. I will let you know what I find out.
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    Try running a tank of high octane fuel to see if the knock goes away. If it does, then you have determined what is the source of the noise. I would take it back to the dealer for a checkout. I would also think that engine is pretty well broken in by 10K, so I doubt that the condition will get better with age.
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    i agree with arkie, and a, my manual does'nt say
    anything about spark knock.
  • mike38mike38 Member Posts: 15
    The noise my 5.3 is macking is more like a clack than an all out knock. It isnt related to detonation, I have run 93 since new. Also the noise is most apperant at 900 to about 1500rpm, ya cant hear it as much after that due to the engine fan noise.
    Its commomg from the dr. side rear of the engine and it only does it when its hot, I think it may be a wrist pin, although I dont know. Iam going to take it to an independant engine biulder(race engines 30 + years) to get his opinion in a few weeks.
    ANY ONE ELSE HAVE THIS NOISE ?

I'll keep ya posted.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    It's ping, and the manual does mention it under the section on octane grades. If you run 93 octane, the PCM just runs more spark advance, so you still get a bit a ping. Along with more power!
    in my manual it says some pinging. is that what
    you meant by spark knock?
    'cause if so, then i agree with you.

...RED
    I don't think I've ever called it spark "knock." It isn't severe enough to be anything like a knock. It's more like an occasional crackle or hiss, right at 1500.
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    quad,
    I assume that PCM is power control module. Anyway, how can any electronic control module determine what the octane rating is in the gas tank?

If the electronic control module is programmed to create ping to determine the relative quality of the gas, I can understand an occasional ping. Like one or two every mile or ten. But constant, or very frequent pings to determine gas quality tells me that the the programming is FOO BAR!

Rich
    sorry about that. i went back and realized that
    it was dbhull that mentioned spark knock. maybe i
    need glasses.

...RED
    Ping occurs when edges, ridges, or other surfaces of the combustion chamber become hot enough to prematurely ignite the fuel mixture, before the spark plug fires. The technical term is pre-ignition. When it happens, shock waves are created. This is what you hear.

Higher octane gas just slows down the burn time to minimize the shock waves. But the PCM (powertrain control module) is circumventing that to a degree, making adjustments to the fuel mixture, leaning it out, and to the ignition timing advance, to get the most complete burn possible.

A complete burn for lowest emissions and best economy happens at higher temperatures, but too much heat causes pre-ignition, so a pair of knock sensors, microphones located underneath the intake manifold allow the PCM to know when the ignition timing needs to be retarded to lower the temperature. It's a closed loop system, and a small amount of ping is designed for, so as to allow the knock sensors to tell the PCM when ignition advance has gone too far. The other primary device for measuring the combustion efficiency is the oxygen sensor.
  • mikes17mikes17 Member Posts: 3
    Check out post #1814 (cold starts)a lot of talk about knocking and raping from the 5.3 engine,

• mike38mike38 Member Posts: 15
    A quick update on my 5.3 clacking sound at 900 to 1500 rpm.
    To Quadrunner, Its not detonation, its absolutley a mechanical noise, I am familiar with detonation. Your description of it earlier was very good. However, this noise was occuring with zero load on the motor, hence not a detonation issue, 93 octane in park free revving the motor between 900 and 1500 rpm, also when idling down my street at the same rpm's noise was apperent.
    HOWEVER - there has been a change for the better.
    Last week-end I drove the beast up to the cottage, about 250 Kilometers, lots of hills, and varying loads. As I have over 10K on the new truck I thought I would push the motor to see how it felt. Lots of full throttle passing, WOT downshifts and letting the trans shift through the gears at full throttle (it shifts at about 5200 rpm).
    When I got home the noise was 95% gone. To this day the sound has dissapeared and is not noticable. I guess my motor continues to wear-in.
    I have heard from several knowledgable engineers that suggest most automotive motors take a good 20-25K to make the best power and gas milege ie: to fully break-in.
    Mike, I think some owners have mentioned a rattling heat shield, or the catalytic converter itself as a possible source of noise.

Some others have noted lifter/pushrod noise. Unlike GM pushrod motors of the past, the production tolerances are so good now, there is only ONE pushrod length for all 5.3L motors. A little clattering from there is sometimes mentioned as coming from the left hand side of the engine compartment. Personally, I have not noticed this, but wonder if there was a noise, that it would appear to come from the left side because you sit on the left side?

I don't have any rapping, or cold start noises, although I warm all my vehicles thoroughly before driving them off.

Good luck. I agree you don't have detonation, or ping. I have not heard ANY reports of true detonation on 5.3L, which is a severe form of ping, or heavy knocking. But I certainly hear it on lots of older cars next to me, when they lug the engine on take off.
  • krc32krc32 Member Posts: 25
    At first thought it was detonation. Tried high octane for a while, not much help. Heard the TR6's, the colder copper had some positive results. I installed them about a week ago gapped at .045 and the clickin clackin still there. Mileage has remained the same, and seems to have a quicker response.
    Now I believe it is an exhaust leak. While steady on the pedal doing 40-50 at low RPMs, clackin away, if I hit any humps in the road, as the body goes up and down, the noise fades in and out. This sounds like an exhaust stress point leak. Anybody else have a similar situation?
    Have you installed your TR6's? If so, how'd they work for you and what do you have them gapped at?
    The TR6's, over time, seemed to run way too rich for my truck. Although the noise, just as you described, was 95% gone, I was only getting about 13 mpg. Went to the NGK TR55's (stock heat range, copper core) and gapped to .052. This seems to be a good one for me and I am leaving these plugs in as they are. I still have some hiss on rare occasion. When it is extremely warm out and the truck is put under a load, it starts, and continues from that point on, even if not loaded.
    Funny thing is that it is almost unnoticeable now and I feel like I am being too anal to even complain about it. Also, if I get it out on the highway and maintain highway speed for a few miles, the noise disappears altogether. I have also noticed that it does not appear to do any of this if the fuel tank is full and it doesn't matter what octane I run, but high octane seems to make this noise worsen. I think that the ping I had is gone. This is a different noise. It does sound like an exhaust leak, but very minor.
    I have heard of other 99-00 5.3l owners that put headers on their trucks and the same noise disappeared. I don't think it is an exhaust "leak", but something else emission related, possibly like Quadrunner500 said, the catalytic conv on that side.....???

I have an autotap I just got, but still experimenting with how to use it correctly and how to determine if the parameters I track are normal or not. Time will help in this area and maybe I can track something down.

Keep me updated with any advancements you find.
    clickin and clackin still there. I am now at .052 gap without any changes. I believe that what I am dealing with is an exhaust leak...
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    spittin, clickin and clackin...do have JBA headers with Gibson catback, airaid, and Granatelli MAF with Magnecor wires and TorqueMaster plugs...Do have vibrations though..
    the HPIII unit and it got rid of the rough idle...
  • dm_ping_tucsondm_ping_tucson Member Posts: 3
    Silverado's aren't the only ones with pre-ignition problems.

The following statement is found in my 2000 GMC Sierra owners manual in Section 6-3.

"Fuel (Gasoline Engine)

…… For vehicles with gasoline engines, please read this.

Use regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher. It is recommended that the gasoline meet specifications which have been developed by the American Automobile Manufacturers Association (AAMA) and endorsed by the Canadian Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association for better vehicle performance and engine protection. Gasoline meeting the AAMA specification could provide improved
    driveability and emission control system performance compared to other gasolines.

Be sure that the posted octane is at least 87. If the octane is less than 87, you may get a heavy knocking
    noise when you drive. If it's bad enough, it can damage your engine.

If you're using fuel rated at 87 octane or higher and you hear heavy knocking, your engine needs service.
    But don't worry if you hear a little pinging noise when you're accelerating or driving up a hill. That's
    normal, and you don't have to buy a higher octane fuel to get rid of pinging. It's the heavy, constant
    knock that means you have a problem."

In October 1999 I took delivery of my 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x2 extended-cab, 3 door, 5.3 liter truck. This, in my case, was exceptional because for the past 30 years I have been a totally satisfied Toyota owner. I took advantage of my status as a former GM employee to obtain a significant employee discount in the purchase of my Sierra with which, except for the following, I am most satisfied.

I was initially satisfied with my Sierra, except that it seemed to have a rather rough idle which the dealership service personnel assured me was not significant and that, at that time, there was no computer (PCM) update to rectify the idle problem. Okay I can buy that, but lately during the past couple of months as the temperature here in Tucson has elevated into the 90 to high 100 degree range (but it's a DRY HEAT!), I have noticed increased intermittent to continuous pre-ignition knocking (otherwise known as "pinging") which occurs during various engine operation/driving circumstances. This condition was present prior to the increased temperatures, but it was not as persistent as it is now.

After initial warm up, upon re-starting the engine I hear a pronounced single "ping". The engine then settles into the previously described rather rough idle. During part-throttle acceleration, from approximately 1200 rpm and up through cruising speed, "pinging" is noticeable. When highway cruising speeds (of approximately 75 to 85 mph and about 2200 -2300 rpm) are reached, the engine "pings" lightly and constantly while maintaining speed. I have changed brands and grades of fuel with the only noticeable improvement being an apparent increase in power while using the higher-octane grades. However, the "pinging" continues.

Obviously GM knows that there is a problem with "pinging" in their engines and the have included the foregoing (CYA) statement in the owners manual to try to placate people like me who know from long driving experience that those conditions are not normal.

I prefer to work with the dealership in rectifying this problem. Going through the procedure of trying out different heat range spark igniters, different thermostats, etc. does not appeal to me, nor should I have to do that to bring this vehicle into a state of operation which is acceptable to me.

Your comments, similar problems, etc. would be appreciated.

Have a great day, y'all.
    Good luck going your preferred "dealer route". You will get no assistance. I took it to BBB arbitration. Best I got was an extended warranty to 60k. Thats great, but if they won't fix a problem under the original warranty, what good does an extended warranty do? You still have to deal with unwanted ping.

If it is any consolation, I rectified about 98% of my engine noise/ping by changing to a lower temp tstat and going to a copper core plug with decreased gap. If are not willing to do this to help yourself, good luck on the dealers helping you. They know about the problem. There are large number of them that have the problem. Because of this, they are telling the dealerships to make light of the problem, tell the customer its within normal range, or just plain telling them that they don't hear the noise. I had 6 different dealerships give me the run around. One messed up and admitted they heard the problem and intially stated they would help, but then GM told them not to do anything further for me.

Arbitration only got me an extended warranty and shafted with a pinging $27k truck.
  • nrd525nrd525 Member Posts: 109
    I have almost the excat same truck as you do,I have about 700 miles on mine,no ping except on click on hot starts.Other than that,so smooth I can't hear it running sometimes.
    In your case,the dealer will probably try some kind of reprogramming and it will probably back down you total timing a notch at ALL speeds,and you will probably feel the difference.I would really think about trying different heat range plugs,in fact I would probably want to try it first.Why?
    Well,you said it still pings with better gas,but has more power,so it's probably advancing the timing due to the improved octane.The "knock sensor"is kind of easily fooled,and it can knock pretty bad before it kicks back the timing.
    Since the computer is letting it ping on any gas,it's probably just the plugs are staying hot enough to pre ignite when the trucks at part throttle(usually where max cyl pressure occurs).
    On my old IrocZ Camaro,it would let it CLACK like hell,then back the timing off 10 degrees or whatever,and then after so long,advance it again.I could make it trigger by whacking the intake with a big screwdriver I had.I would whack it,it would almost stall,then up the idle,and move the timing back up.With a timing light,it was kind of neat to watch.
    I complained and complained,the dealer was great about it,and they tried all kinds of stuff,even pulling the heads(it had a very slight intake water leak anyway)and seeing if there was a problem or gasket seepage/leak.Finally,GM told them they were done.So,I got a plug book out,and got some Champion copper plugs one heat range colder than the normal ones.It solved 90% of it!I drove it a year,then went another heat range colder than those.That solved it completely,AND I was able to put in another 3 degrees initial,and make it run even better than it ever did before.
    I eventually did go to a 160 therostat,just to keep it from getting too hot in the summer in stop and go traffic.
    And there you have it......

Plugs and cooling the engine down are your best bet to fight this ping problem. It is hard to bring yourself to do it with a brand new truck, but I found that it was the only help I was going to get to rectify if. Dealers just aren't too overly concerned about spark knock and other slight engine noises. They see them as a mere annoyance, not a problem, therefore are not apt to go to any extreme to rectify it....at least most dealers don't. Every once in a while you find one that is extraordinary that will really try and help, but that is not very often these days.
    Agree with Dbhull, that was pretty well stated.

Mine is borderline. I modified the thermostat, haven't yet gone to the copper plugs. When I do, I'm gonna put in TR-55's gapped 0.052 as per DB's trial.

But my ping is fixed by going to premium octane pump gas. Naturally, I would have been curious about the knock retard figure DB was going to get from the autotap, but alas, he's traded his ping for slapping pistons. (Kidding)

Dan, did you get the F150 SuperCrew?
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    that this was a injector ticking and it was due to the compression of the motor and being cold. Didn't buy it cause it is more metallic in my ears. They kept it overnight to review and I will know something tomorrow. Will also be checking on ext. warranty to cover the last 15k on the lease.

Danog
    No. Didn't want the Supercrew. Need more bed space than people space. They also were not as willing to deal on the Supercrew's. I got the Supercab though. Less room than the Silverado, but I never bought the Silverado for its bigger back cab space. The room in the ext cab F150 is more than sufficient for me. I mostly use it for dry storage space and occasionally my 11 year old will ride back there pretty comfortably.

I had thoughts about the piston slap as I was shopping, but supposedly they fixed it in late 99. Talked to numerous 2000 F150 owners that swear the problem is resolved. Anyone that has it, gets a new engine. I have an extended warranty to 100k miles anyway. I am not too concerned.

So far, it is a very nice ride. I went all out with a Lariat 4WD. Toys galore in this one!

I do miss some things about the Silverdo. I think the interior design and the technology of the Silverado is more appealing. The build quality of the F150 seems to be better though.

Both are nice trucks. It took Ford several years to work their F150 bugs out. It will take GM a few years as well.
    I really haven't had too many bugs with mine. The ping...under control. Had the windshield noise from the bug deflector. Sealed the gasket, problem gone. But all those issues about vibration, shudders I'm incredulous about. Not a hint of those on mine. Better lucky than good. Mines a keeper. Good luck with the F150. I have a friend also with Lariat. Loves hers, nice leather too.
    fix it, but as I indicated before, I would rather have the dealership fix it (if they can, or will). If not, then I'll go the route myself.
    I don't think that I mentioned this before, but I've got better than 10k miles on the truck. I've never gotten less than 15 mpg; nor better than 20 mpg, probably would if I drove a little slower (make that a lot slower).
    The day after I took delivery, I had Rhino-Liner bed protection installed, and the next day a Pace-Edwards Roll Top was added. Great addition, the bed's virtually watertight! A couple of days after that I installed a Flow-Master cat-back exhaust, which makes a lot of difference in performance. Don't know if I got an increase in mpg as all this was done before I filled up the gas the second time.
    So far, I haven't noticed any of the other noises, spring slapping, etc. that some of you mentioned about. That darned "pinging" is my only complaint. Like I said, I'll give the dealer a fair chance to take care of the problem and then I'll go the colder copper plugs, 180 degree thermostat, etc. route.
    I just might bad mouth GM a bit also. As an employee of Raytheon (Who bought GM Hughes) I am still eligible for their (GM's) employee discount on GM vehicles. I also have E-Mail access to at least 50-60 thousand Raytheon employees, a large minority of which are in the same situation (pre GM employees) as I am. They would probably benefit from hearing about my satisfaction, or lack of it, with my dealerships' cooperation when they consider buying another GM vehicle.
    Thanks to all who responded to my previous post.
    Keep on truckin'

Dave
    merrittd@flash.net

ps. It was only 104 here in Tucson today, and the "pinging" was worse than the heat!
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    be causing the ping problem? Will the dealer honor your warranty with catbacks? Do you need to reprogram the computer with catbacks? Just curious. Good luck.
    I am also qualified to take the GM discount where I work. It is the same as what GM employees get.
    I was not willing to take another chance on GM yet. I expect I will (hope to) have this F150 for 10 years as long as I don't have major problems. GM needs time to work out some quality issues. That is just my opinion. Not every truck they make will be a problem like mine was either.

Dan.
    be causing the ping problem?
    Will the dealer honor your warranty with catbacks? Do you need to reprogram the computer with catbacks?

I don't believe that my pinging can be attributed to the catback installation. If you will recall, in my first post (#20) I stated that the pinging became apparent as the outside air temperature (OAT) went above 90 degrees. I took delivery in October 1999, and for about six months I didn't have a pinging problem, then as the temp increased the pinging got more apparent and consistent. Since I wrote that first post, the OAT here in Tucson (as you should know) has been in the 100's. My ping is worse now than when I first posted.

When I asked the dealers' (Don Mackey) service manager about the catback affecting my warranty, he assured me that it would not be a problem. In fact, he recommended a couple of shops to do the work. If you are interested in having the same thing done I recommend the shop that is on the north side of Prince, just west of Oracle. They did a very good job, with one exception. The catback installation does not conform to where the original hangers are located (on the frame) and as they installed the system, there were not an adequate number of hangers to keep the installation from clanking when going over large bumps, etc. I alleviated that by installing some extra hangers on the, conveniently placed, tubular frame cross members. Problem fixed.

As to whether the computer (PCM) needs to be reprogrammed, both the dealer and the exhaust shop said it was not necessary. The PCM has the ability to compensate for a fairly wide range of variables while attempting to maintain the optimum engine performance. Fuel mixture is one of those variables. As you are probably aware, when you free up an exhaust, one of the side effects is a leaner fuel mixture. The PCM compensates for this condition adequately.

Hope this answers your questions.

By the way, while you're driving around Tucson, if you see a 2000 Sierra, pewter colored, extended cab SLT, with a "Retired Marine Corps" plate on the front, and a license plate "Y2K GMS" on the rear, that's me.

Have a great day!

Dave
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    dbhull,
    Out here in CA it would be illegal to modify the thermostat heat range. The emissions depend upon a certain engine temperature to work correctly.

I can understand why a dealer be reluctant to change the heat range. However if you changed the heat range I'm sure that very little emissions issues would become of it. My inclination would be to find someone with a programmer and retard the timing by the smallest increment possible. Then keep repeating this until the PING went away.

As far as some PING being normal as the dealers are saying, IMHO that is the biggest pile of used oats that I've heard. Most of us old (Passed gas) would agree that there ain't no engine that is intended to PING. Any pinging is harmful to an engine. It's just that some engines may tolerate PINGs better than others. I remember seeing examples of PING problems that were shown as spark plugs with electrodes blasted away. Where do you think that those pieces of spark plug electrodes go? (Only if you're lucky!)

Rich
    Well the ticking noise was blamed on the injectors!
    Does your injectors tick for about 5-10 seconds in the morning after sitting over night????????

Danog
    I agree with you rrichf.

danog:
    My opinion is if it is injector noise you hear, it would make the noise all the time. Injectors functioning properly will make the same noise at all times and "would" be a ticking noise on some vehicles.

I never hear my fuel injectors at all. What I did hear was the pinging. Again, my opinion, but I think the dealer snowed you with some bull.
    waiting for me to have the 30K service done which will clean up the injectors and cost me $250. IF this isn't the injectors, which I agree is BS, then what else could it be. It only does it when the engibe sits overnight and last for 5-10 seconds. I truly believe it is something in the valve train, ie. lifters, cause it stops around the same time oil reaches this part of the engine. It certainly would help if I found someone here that had this problem or similar.

Danog
  • jxyoungjxyoung Member Posts: 156
    I do not know what the noise is but mine sounds like a metallic clatter. It seems to do it most between 50 and 70 mph. It gets worse if i let up on the gas and then give it the gas slowly it makes the sound even more pronounced.
    Dealer thought it was a bad rocker as he said they have found bad ones on other trucks?
    Took it in and they said they reflashed me to correct the crappy mileage and correct the clatter.
    Clatter still there will check mileage.

I am starting to like the idea I saw on a previous post months back. Class action!
  • stevostevo Member Posts: 37
    I have the same noise as you and also noticed the fading in and out as the body goes up/down. Sounds like exhaust leak but shouldn't the exhaust move together with the body? Maybe the sound is changing as it reflects back from the road at different distances as the body moves up and down.

I did find a slight exhaust leak at the flange under the passenger side seat. I opened it up to replace a gasket but there is none, just a metal to metal seal (flared type joint). I believe this is too far back to be the noise I hear. Mine is drivers side engine area.

Let me know if you find out anything.

P.S. I also have engine ping
  • trucknogoodtrucknogood Member Posts: 1
    ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVE A KNOCK IN THE LOWER END OF THEIR 4.8 MOTOR. GM SAYS THIS IS A NORMAL KNOCK AND IS PART OF THE DESIGN. JUST WENT THROUGH ARBITRATION AND WON MY CASE. GM HAS TO FIX OR REPLACE THIS MOTOR NOW. I WONDER NOW HOW THEY WILL FIX THIS SINCE IT IS PART OF THE DESIGN.ALSO HAVE THE CLUNKING SOUND IN THE REAR END.PROBABLY GOING TO SEE IF I CAN GET GM TO BUY THIS TRUCK BACK OR GO AFTER LEMON LAW. JUST WANT TO SEE IF ANY OTHERS HAVE THIS SAME KNOCK AND WANT TO JOIN IN AND GO AFTER GM.

TRUCKNOGOOD
  • dodgeram7dodgeram7 Member Posts: 55
    Hey all you people should have got a Dodge Ram, so
    you would not be having these problems.
    Oh really?I wonder why the Ram I test drove with 20 miles on it pinged like hell!The 318 and 360's seem to have a huge problem with this.I don't understand why.My 74 Roadrunner and 77 Power Wagon,both with 360s never had a pinging problem.How do the make basically the same engine for 30+ years,and have this problem.The pinging was just one of the reasons I bought my Sierra,and no it doesn't ping.....
    F150Rules...You only wish Ford made a truck as good looking as the Ram.Ford hasn't made a really good looking car or truck in about 30 years!
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    Too much timing advance, trying to get good (should I say, better) mileage out of old engines...
  • tiredofwaitingtiredofwaiting Member Posts: 74
    I was nosing around and found this press release.
    So if your GM truck has cold start rattle/KNOCK we know why.....

For Release: August 1, 2000 (NOTE DATE)

Sierra Builds on Momentum with Additional Engine
    Improvements

DETROIT - GMC's full-size, light-duty Sierra
    pickups continue to earn friends and win customers
    with a host of best-in-segment features and
    capabilities. Powertrain improvements and the
    expanded availability of alternative fuel models
    enhance Sierra’s appeal for 2001.

"The light-duty Sierra has been experiencing
    phenomenal growth as the word about our competitive
    advantages spreads," notes Sierra brand manager
    Jim Kornas. "Our focus continues to be on making
    the professional grade promise come true by
    providing unmatched value for customers.”

Sierra value is multifaceted. Along with providing
    customers with best-in-class product features,
    Sierra also rewards them with the segment’s highest
    residual (trade-in) values, making it the best
    pickup investment on the market.

Vortec Engine Improvements
    All the Vortec engines available in the light-duty
    Sierra have been upgraded to provide better
    performance, enhanced durability and lower
    operating costs than last year.

Vortec 4300 V6
    A Vortec 4300 V6 engine with 200 hp @ 4600 rpm and
    260 lb.-ft. (353 Nm) of torque @ 2800 rpm powers
    Sierra 1500-Series regular cab pickups. Compared to
    last year, this engine has been upgraded with:

A new powertrain control module (PCM) with more
    sophisticated controls for managing all engine and
    transmission functions. The PCM has also been
    relocated to the intake manifold to save weight
    (1.8 pounds or 0.82 kg) and improve
    reliability/durability by reducing the number of
    wiring connections.

More durable cam bearings.

A lighter starter that draws less current from the
    battery while cranking the engine.

A more sensitive knock sensor mounted at the rear
    of the engine block to eliminate any audible
    detonation sounds regardless of the grade of fuel
    used.

A new secondary air injection reaction system when
    mated to the five-speed manual transmission to
    lower exhaust emissions. An exothermic reaction is
    created in the exhaust manifolds and pipes to
    accelerate catalyst warm-up after a cold start.

The Vortec 4300 features sequential central port
    fuel injection, roller rocker arms, roller lifters,
    forged-steel connecting rods, a cast-aluminum oil
    pan, and extended-life (100,000-mile/160,000 km)
    platinum-tipped spark plugs. Its long-life engine
    coolant is good for up to five years or 150,000
    miles (240,00 kms) whichever comes first.

The engine requires no maintenance during the
    first 100,000 miles (160,000 km) except oil and
    filter changes. And even they have been extended to
    10,000-mile (16,000 km) intervals (from previous
    7,500 miles or 12,000 kms) by the PCM's ability to
    record time-at-temperature operating conditions and
    signal the driver when to change the oil based on
    need instead of time or mileage.

Vortec 4800, 5300 V8
    The Vortec 4800 V8, standard on 1500-Series
    extended cabs and optional on 1500- series regular
    cabs, produces 270 hp @ 5200 rpm and 285 lb.-ft.
    (386 Nm) @ 4000 rpm. The Vortec 5300 V8, optional
    on all 1500 series models, produces 285 hp @ 5200
    rpm and 325 lb.-ft. (441 Nm) @ 4000 rpm.

GMC customers especially appreciate the high, flat
    torque curve of these engines. They deliver 90
    percent of their peak torque from 1500 to 5200 rpm.
    Whether the task is merging into heavy traffic or
    towing a heavy boat up a steep grade, these V8s run
    at the head of the pack.

For 2001, the main bearing tolerances of these
    engines have been tightened for quieter,
    cold-engine startup. Noise and vibration are also
    reduced by an intake manifold revision that results
    in better isolation of the fuel injection
    solenoid.

A new mass-air-flow sensor has an integral
    temperature sensor, allowing the powertrain control
    module to provide more accurate fuel-air mixtures
    for all operating conditions. A new coolant
    temperature sensor provides more durability.
    Sierras equipped with an automatic transmission and
    two-wheel drive now have an electronic throttle
    control to support an optional traction assist
    system.

With their 100,000-mile (160,000 km)
    platinum-tipped spark plugs and 150,000-mile
    (240,000 km) engine coolant, the only scheduled
    maintenance required during the first 100,000 miles
    (160,000 kms) of operation is oil and filter
    changes. And even those have been extended to
    longer, maximum 10,000-mile (16,000 km) intervals
    (from a previous 7,500 miles or 12,000 kms).

Clay

My Web address: <<A HREF="http://drive.to/agmlemon">http://drive.to/agmlemon&gt;
    Email : <<A HREF="http://gm_lemon@bigfoot.com">mailto:gm_lemon@bigfoot.com>
    Read post #41 again,apparently you didn't understand what I meant.I do like the looks of MY truck,but I like the Dodge's looks better!I hope they don't screw it up when the new one comes out.
    As far as Ford trucks go,before the 97 F150,they were just rolling boxes,and then they went "curvy".It WAS an improvement!But it's still stupid looking unless it has REALLY big tires on it,then they look "ok",not great,but ok.And coming from me,that's a compliment.Don't get me started on Ford's cars,that would take a week for the FOCUS alone!
    I you are not satisfied with your truck please
    email me the details of your ownership experience.
    I will post them to a web site devoted to problems
    with GM trucks and will also forward to several
    people in GM management. Maybe if they continually
    get these emails, they will be forced to retrofit
    ALL trucks with fixes incorporated into the 2001
    design.

Thanks,
    Clay Hodges
    <<A HREF="http://gm_lemon@bigfoot.com">gm_lemon@bigfoot.com>
    <<A HREF="http://drive.to.agmlemon">http://drive.to.agmlemon&gt;
    Oops wrong web address...I dotted when I should
    have slashed..try it now.

I you are not satisfied with your truck please
    email me the details of your ownership experience.
    I will post them to a web site devoted to problems
    with GM trucks and will also forward to several
    people in GM management. Maybe if they continually
    get these emails, they will be forced to retrofit
    ALL trucks with fixes incorporated into the 2001
    design.

Clay Hodges
    <<A HREF="http://gm_lemon@bigfoot.com">gm_lemon@bigfoot.com>
    <<A HREF="http://drive.to/agmlemon">http://drive.to/agmlemon&gt;
    That's how I feel about the Ford's!Why do they put those tiny tires on them,when they look so much better with bigger tires,and don't look like a little kids drawing of a truck.Wait till J.Mays and his boys get through "designing" the NEXT generation of Ford Trucks!!If it's as bad as the rest of he and his buddies designs(except the VW Beetle)it will be a disaster like the Taurus was.I know,Mays wasn't involved with that one,but who knows what abortion he will come up with next.
    My "Favorite" Ford concept is the 012.It makes the Focus look like a dream car....
    I have to say,I am getting tired of Ford's "new look",and it's not quite FOUR years old?And the SD's?Ehhh,they don't do anything for me,the next door neighbor's son bought an F350 PSD to tow their horse trailers.It's big,white and loud.I'd rather have an old 77 or abouts F150,but hey,someone has to buy all them Fords!As long as I don't have to buy/drive one,I'm a happy guy.You drive/like Ford's?If that is your destiny,accept it....
    Well,we agree on the GM/Ford being the only real choices, at least where gas engines are concerned.Dodge just waited too long to update their powertrains.I don't know if there was a delay due to a problem,or it had to do with the merger,or what.
    The 4.7 is a good engine,and the new 5.7 will probably be decent too.I think a stronger tranny would help a lot too.I don't know why DC hasn't made the trans a priority.It must eat up a lot of $$$ changing them all the time.
    The 360 WAS a good engine,but the ping problems really turned me off when I test drove a new Ram in May(20 miles on it!).Plus the milage on the 5.2 and 5.9 realy sucks.My friend's Dakota 2WD with a 318 gets worse milage than my Sierra!And weighs almost 1000 pounds less!
    I do know a guy with two(wife drives one)Rams,one a 94,and one a 97 or 98.Both have been like rocks,they never have had any real problems,except the 94 ate a couple of batteries last year.The newer one is jacked up 3",and has big tires on it.It's a Cummins,I drove it,and,well,it made me NOT buy a diesel,besides,I don't really tow much of anything.It does pull his snowmobiles and boat great though.
    As far as Ford having the best engine?Nahhh!!Even a diehard Ford guy,like a friend's dad,who let me "test drive" his 2000 F150 5.4( It was better than the Dodge!)admits my truck kills his,power wise.Even towing,their trailer with a BIG lawn tractor and 2 smaller ones on it,my truck eats his alive.I haven't towed anything bigger yet.PLUS,I get about 1+1/2 MPG better than his truck does!I only have 2700 miles on mine,wait till it really gets broke in!!
    Well,I guess this will be the last come back from me on this.If you want to see problem Fords,I can show you one right now,it's sitting at the dealer where my friend traded it for his 2000 Silverado,Just like mine(exc Chevy),but it's Blue instead of black.They better hope it stays together better now than in the past,or they will have a very unhappy buyer.
    The poor fool who buys his 97 F150 will be in a world of hurt.Three transmissions(in less than 40K),one transfer case,one differential,and a bunch of stuff in the dash and under the hood,including two Stereos.Almost all of it WAS covered under warranty,so,other than occasionally having to rent a car when they "couldn't find" him a loaner,it didn't cost him much out of pocket.He couldn't wait to pay it off,and dump it.
    His Dad's 2000 F150(the one I "test drove" is becoming a headache with rattles that sound like they are over your head(huh?),a check engine light that NEVER stores a code,but gets shakey when it comes on.It has had warped rotors(I kind of expect to have them too,it seems almost everything new has them),and a sticking caliper once too.All this in less than a year and about 9K miles.He should have kept his old 94 F250,it looks like it's doing fine,I see it almost every day.Could use some paint though.The rattles above your head is the damndest thing I have ever heard!
    He wanted to see if I heard them too,and I did,the dealers guys "couldn't confirm" the problem the first time,so he rode with them the second,and right after they went over a nearby RR crossing,there it was!The have NO clue what is doing it.I think it's wires jiggling and hitting the roof.
    I've seen some dyno printouts that show the 5.3 weaker than the 5.4 and others where it's stronger,so I don't know what the deal is,but every time the mags do a test,empty or loaded,the GM trucks come out ahead.Like I said my friends dad even admits my truck is a rocket compared to his,and his runs like the loaners they have given him,so I don't think the "shakes"(always when it's cold) it gets sometimes really affects it's performance at all.For a "Ford Man" like him to admit this kind of amazes me.He doesn't like my steering wheel though,I don't really know why.
    As far as being "tougher",I don't think one is any more "tough" than the other.they're just DIFFERENT.Looks,engines,interior(my most disliked Ford "feature",for almost my whole life).And c'mon,the number of Ford trucks vs GM trucks sold is very close,not enough to do anything but brag about.Ford will Do anything to keep sales ahead of GM,it's like a badge of honor with them,but it doesn't really mean anything.
    Anyway,lets hope we BOTH have good luck with our trucks....
  • bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    What magazine had a dyno that shows the 5.3 putting out more hp/torque than the 5.4?? Also, you said all magazines show the 5.3 outrunning the 5.4. Can you tell me what magazine articles they are? In everyone article I've seen, where the Chevy outran the Ford, the Chevy had a distinct advantage in gearing. Any test where the gearing was even close, the Ford ate it's lunch. I am not disputing what you say, I'd just like to look at these articles myself. Thanks.
    First, we don't use a furnace during winter. Have not needed to in many years.

I really enjoy your Ford stories. Try posting it at f150online. May give them a few laughs too.
This discussion has been closed.