Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chev / GMC Excab wind noise

mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I have heard people re-forming..aka melting.. them to close harder....but most just get the whole window replaced....there IS a problem with them and the most common fix is a replacement of the entire glass.

Don't have a number for you...sorry.
I agree they shouldn't even open at all...I have yet to open them. Mine seem extremely loose...and just hold water after you wash it and run down the side for 15 miles...but they do not make any wind noise..and I travel a lot of high speed highway....so count my blessings I guess?

Godo Luck

- Tim

Comments

• jerrycarjerrycar Member Posts: 4
    Just took a trip to Dallas from Minneapolis with a 2000 GMC Z71 - ran great except for noise coming from the two sides of the windshield. It sounded like I was driving into sleet or a heavy rain. For the return trip I taped the rubber molding on the sides of the windshield and the noise went away. When I checked with the dealer they said I needed to remove the bug deflector as this was creating the air flow disturbance at the windshield (they installed it, Dah!). I also had outside mirror vibration and they said the bug deflector was causing that, also. Anybody else experience this problem?
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    some do it.....some don't.

- Tim
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    get a lund interceptor...it doesn't.

al2

GM was supposed to have changed manufacturers of the window hinges...not too sure. I had taken my truck in to have it replaced...with a third set. Yep changed the originals last month with defective ones, so the dealer ordered another set and had glass shop replace last week. They are holding my truck over the weekend to make sure that the epoxy is solid. Driving too early causes body flex which in turn loosens the window assembly. We will find out for sure on Monday or Tuesday (they are working also on my vibrations). Can post and let you know. The General Manager of the dealership had asked me if there was anyway to tell if the hinges were defective prior to installation...I replied "you're asking me??"
  • al2al2 Member Posts: 73
    . . . dealer had my truck today and says GM will replace both rear side windows. I took a printout of Obyone's last post with me just in case I got the 'we've never heard of this before', but didn't have to show them anything since I guess they know that some windows are problematic. I hope that this will fix the wind noise as it has for others. Thanks guys.

Cheers, Al
    guess what...yep, window noises from the rear windows...manufacture date 9/99 made in Canada.
  • sartisarti Member Posts: 16
    I had some wind noise comeing from my rear quarter windows on my y2k truck. Dealer replaced them yesterday and now the there is more wind noise. They are going to order me another set and try them. We have noticed the window latches don't seem to close very tight though. Anyone else notice this?
    the defective latches ARE the cause of the wind noise...seems like GM is sending defective window latches to replace defective window latches...
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    My Ford dealer shares the same driveway off of the street with the Chevy dealer. For a while these two dealers were having a contest to see who could put their vehicle higher off the ground. They were using these metal rack things that they drive the truck up on and then remove the ramps. Right now the Chevy dealer is winning by about a foot.

The interesting thing is that while my Ford was in for service I was walking around and looked closely at the underside of a Chevy. I think that it was a Silverado, but I'm not certain. What I noticed is a rather odd construction technique used on the Chevy. The frame is the classic ladder style frame with tubular 'rungs'. These tubes were probably 3" in diameter and fit nicely into a hole in the side rails of the frame and tack welded in place. (Maybe a total of 2" of weld bead in 4 places.) On first glance, my first thought was "This is where the frame cracking rumor started." After looking at it for a while it appears that the holes are not at a critical stress area and probably wouldn't make any difference. This construction method should give better horizontal torsional stiffness than the frame of my Ford. I was wondering if there are any opinions on how this construction method stands up to severe overloading?

Rich
  • bodrobodro Member Posts: 2
    I have 1999 2500...I noticed wind noise when I test drove vehicle last July. Asked them to fix it before I picked it up but they didn't. I took it back and it took about 10 minutes to fix by putting a screw into each of the latches. Works great now..(fixed at Jacobsen GMC in Kelowna BC)
    Thanks for your post. Could you explain a bit more about the latch fix? Where exactly is the screw installed and what does it seem to do, make the latch more positive by pulling the window closer to the frame or (perhaps a dumb question) make the window tight but not capable of being opened?

I will get my dealer in Burnaby to phone Jacobsen, but I would like to know what it is like for my own sake. Also I would rather have a couple of screws installed instead of a major repair of window replacement that still might not cure the problem. I really appreciate your input and I'll let you know what occurs.

Cheers, Al
  • bodrobodro Member Posts: 2
    There are two parts to the latch assembly..one is attached to the window and the other to the vehicle. The screw is a metal screw that is about 1.5 or 2 inches long and screwed through the plastic part of the latch (that is attached to the vehicle) and into the metal body of the truck. When the window is closed, the screw itself is parallel to the window. To get the screw in place, I believe you would have to separate the two pieces of the latch so you could drill a hole through the plastic and into the truck body. Basically, when the screw is in place it pulls that part of the latch in slightly, perhaps 1/16 of an inch. The long and short is that it works. I have had both windows done and they now work fine...an easy solution and cheap 15cents to fix! I am assuming your latch assembly on the 2000 is that same as the 1999
    Thanks for the fast reply. I'll see what the service department says and keep you informed.

Cheers, Al
    Took in a printout of your posts. Dealer called today to say that the fix is for 99's apparently. They are going to replace the windows. This also implies that after 99 they redesigned the window or latch and came up with another clunker -- go figure! I would really like to compare the two latches to see if there is a difference. Maybe the idea of a 50 cent fix is not too appealing.

Thanks again for your info. I'll let you know if the BIG fix works.

Cheers, Al
    not to get your hopes up too high but...I have had both rear windows replaced twice...and it still has the wind noise. Dealer is as frustrated as I am...and we haven't gotten to the vibrations yet. Only good thing this week is that the Hypertech III has taken away the rough idle and the driveline growl that the dealer's Tech II unit couldn't. Have to depend on aftermarket to fix GM's design flaws. You have to laugh at how ridiculous this all sounds, if you don't you could go insane....
    third set...these windows are truly a POS. Ltches made of plastic that bends with the window...what a joke.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    they suck....the window flexes out with minimal effort....I have yet to open them though....and they do not leak air yet for me...I drive highway everyday to work at 80MPH too.

- Tim
    is to set your a/c on fresh air and dial the fan control to the max when driving at 80. This will literally force them to open if they do leak...
    changed the manufacturer of these defective windows for the 99/00 Silverados. I guess not or their inventory of defective windows is very large. Going on my fourth set with no end in site. Dealer is disgusted, GM zone rep and customer assist have no answers. Just keep replacing 'em. The positive is that I get to drive new and different vehicles everytime it goes in as they have to keep it for a couple days to make sure the sealant cures before driving. Now, if I could only get my '00 Denali back which is in for over a week for (2)replacement shocks. I have never had two rent a cars at the same time before. Leave it to GM...
    The dealer replaced the frames of the quarter panel windows -- said the new frames have a different angle. Bill showed a glass shop was subbed to replace my old glass into new frames. The original wind noise was as if the window was open a bit right behind your ear and that has gone. I'll get my wife to drive at highway speed while I sit in the back to listen for any wind noise at the back part of the frame.

I would still like to see a positive pull-and-snap latch rather than the cheesy part that is there, but when other people are having vibration and other major problems, a window latch complaint seems rather insignificant.

Cheers, Al
    the dealer works on my vibrations and windows at the same time. Also be on the lookout for wind noise coming from between the passenger front and rear doors. Weatherstripping has been known to allow road noise (wind) into truck also.
  • gatorbaitgatorbait Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem as jerrycar. Wind noise from front windshield on 2000 gmc Z71. Hard to id where the noise comes from. It only seems to happen around 60 mph or when strong winds outside. Has anyone else experienced this & do they know of a fix?
    the wind noise is coming from the sides of your windshield. If you check the weatherstripping, on both sides of your windshield, you will find that they will actually seperate from the windshield very easily. The fix is to take it back to the dealer and have them fix it cause a lot of the Silverados have the problem. More so if you have installed a Bugdeflector II.
  • jreichartjreichart Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 GMC ext cab 4x4 with 3500 miles. I just noticed the windshield leak and I have a Lund Interceptor. The driver outside mirror has slight vibration as well.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.