Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    "If you don't want that, buy an LTZ (its the same interior) without SS emblems."

And without the 303 hp V-8. That's my problem with cars these days. If you want decent power, you also have to live with the flamboyant tack-on crap. Whatever happened to subdued, classy American performance? First thing I did was remove the "wing" from my 2004 GTO. Aussies make the wing optional on their version (Monaro). Mags trashed GTO cause it didn't have all the scoops and tack-on junk that they historically bashed Pontiac for over the years. I guess I'm obviously in the minority here, since your view seems to be the popular one. All I'm saying is "give us a choice!"
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    I agree with you that choices would be better for these cars then having them loaded like most are. I often talk about the chevys from the 60s where you could by a bare bones Impala or Impala SS and go through 5 or 6 pages of options and taylor make the car the way you want it. Back then you could order one of 6 or 7 engine variatons in an Impala SS from two 6 cylinder engines up to 425 hp V8. You had choices of 5 or 6 rear end gear ratios, from highway gears to all out drag racing 4.56/1.00 ratio. Choices are better. I am sure there are those that would like a 2006 Impala SS without the V8......GM give us choices, not what you think we want/need!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Try picking your list of options on an Accord. I don't think we're going back to that era. I studied the list from Edmunds (book at the time) and dealers would give the check sheet copy to you. I picked and made the car exactly what I wanted. Now it's package A, B, or C.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    As mentioned in one reply, it's all about the tires. There is no way the SS would be governed to 105 mph, maybe in second gear. Besides it would pretty funny seeing a Cavalier or Aveo pass it up. I also saw in a magazine (don't recall) that it is governed to go into the 140 mph range. The previous V8 SS from the 1990's was governed for 130 mph. I spoke with people who said they got it up to 130 mph, but no further. There are some chips and other devices to reprogram the top speed if someone really cares.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    You have a choice. Go buy a 2004 Cadillac DTS. Big V8 -no SS badges, super ride, passes everything on the road and you can get it in black with tinted windows. I have a 2003 base model and it is a great road car. I've ordered a 2006 Impala 2LT just for town driving and an occasional short trip. No comparison between the Cadillac and the Impala but if you want something where you can tromp down on the pedal and pass Ma and Pa Kettle in their '94 LeSabre at a hundred you need to get a Caddy. Certified ones with 6 year 100k warranties are all over the place at less than $30k. Fun city!
  • yoribe2yoribe2 Member Posts: 65
    I just rented an 06 Impala and am impressed with the improved fit and finish of GM cars. The plastic interior panels have a better look and feel than previous GM cars. Some gripes while driving: my rental has a column shifter and the lever obliterates about 1/4 of the audio display when it's in the D position, the mirrors are puny and can GM do something about the lime-green dash illumination? The whitish-blue color on previous models was much better. The dual climate control knobs turn too easily and are hard to adjust properly. My Accord has more rear seat room than this car. Otherwise, I think this is a solid car and I feel safe and confident driving it.
    Makes me feel good about ordering a 2LT. I'm glad I asked for the bucket seats and the floor lever. Didn't know about the green dash illumination -do you mean the instrument illumination? I remember green gauge lighting on cars in the 50's. It will bring back the old days.
  • axle52axle52 Member Posts: 36
    HI. I am Canadian and a Gm worker. I bought the new 06 Impala LTZ model and have already had a recall notice in the first week and the radio replaced not to mention the engine coolant system malfunctioning. Ive had that problem fixed or so I thought until the problem re-occurred the other day. So back to the Dealership I go. So yeah I would tend to agree. Wait a year or so until they get all the bugs out. Other than that the 06 model is a heck of an improvement over the 05.

EH men
    With the very strong competitive market today GM should not be having these problems with the 06 Impala, first year or not first year. The 00-05 had their share of grief for a lot of purhasers. I would think by now cooling system problems, radio glitches, noises clicking behind the dashboard etc should not be happening. These problems might be one of the reasons that Motor Trend took the Impala off the reccommended list. Come on Chevy you have been building cars for 95 years, lets get it right! Honda/Toyota/Hyundai with better warranties/less problems and being relatively new car companies are making you look bad.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    These are a small number of owners reporting problems. The number not reporting them is huge. The importance always get magnified on the discussion groups.

Has MT taken Honda products off their lists because of the ongoing transmission problems? The noises and door problems in Odysseys? The Noise and oscillations in running gear in the Pilots? Note the transmissions problems at Honda keep popping up for oh more than a decade and the fix is give people a new one or install an oil jet?

You should check JDR to determine the number of problems and if that's a meaningful statement or not.
    >Honda/Toyota/Hyundai with better warranties/less fewer problems

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    My feeling exactly. I was seriously considering buying an SS this spring, but will wait another year until Chevy gets their act together. The noise behind the dash alone would be enough to keep me from buying one. I replied in an earlier thread that Edmunds reported a 6.4 second 0-60 run with a brand new SS. This conflicts with other car reviews I've read so far, which says it should be in the 5.7-5.8 second range. It could be the new 5.3 engines aren't that consistent yet. I also read about some earlier stalling problems linked to the DOD system. I haven't seen anything lately though.
    I have been driving nothing but chevys for 38 years but not afraid to point out problems that they have had. If a problem arises and GM fixes the problems right away then thats a different matter. But GM has a bad habit of not correcting problems right away, and many people out of warranty have paid dearly. Again I drive Chevys but not afraid to give accolades to Accord/Camry that have been #1 & 2 in US sales for the past many years. The Japanese must be still doing something right if they can still outsell this American Car company on its own turf. Chevy almost lost the ability to sell police cars for 2006 because they didn't correct a braking problem right away, that FAILED the 2006 Impala in its initial testing. That alone is inexcusable today. If I was contemplating a new Impala, I would wait until next years model, hopefully many of these annoying issues will have been addressed.
  • zjimzjim Member Posts: 51
    It's really unfortunate that the media doesn't report the significant number of problems on some Honda and other foreign vehicles. They seem to have "group think" when it comes to criticizing American products, but, for the most part, ignore our foreign competitors problems. When American companies produce a great car, it is virtually unmentioned. I found it very interesting, but irritating that the media didn't report last years J.D. Powers quality rating for Buick. The only car that was rated higher in initial quality was Lexus. Every other car, both foreign and American was rated below!

I work with a gentleman who purchased a new 2005 Honda Odyssey and had so many problems with the car in the first 3 months of ownership, that they ordered a new vehicle for him. So far, so good, but his confidence in Honda's reputation is forever tarnished. It seems he never had ANY problem, other than normal maintenance with his two previous Dodge Caravans!! His story is not all that extraordinary. I've spoke with others who have had problems with their Hondas, Toyotas, Volkswagens, and yes, . . . Mercedes!

I'm one of those who commented on the "clicking" noise coming from the dash board on my '06 3LT, especially in extremely cold weather. Well, the car now has just over 1000 miles and the noise has disappeared. I'm thinking, more than ever, that it was the plastic duct work expanding at connecting points in the system. That is the only negative that I've been able to report. Nobody is more fussy than I am and I can point to a few minor quality issues, but at the price point that I bought this car for, it's a pretty nicely built and performing car!
  • jz68jz68 Member Posts: 61
    For anyone who has been following my posts about the problem I've been having with the clicking noises I thought I'd share what was found to be the problem.

It wasn't the TSB mentioned in an earlier reply to my post. That TSB only applied to the V6 engine (I have the SS). My problem was being caused by electrical components in the dash getting cold and then clicking and popping as they warmed up. The solution was for additional insulation to be added. I picked up my car today and haven't heard another noise. Today is one of the coldest days in the past few weeks so I'm pretty sure that the problem has been solved. :)
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    The lack of rear leg and headroom is inexcusable IMO. This is supposed to be a family sedan and it is about a foot longer than other popular sedans so it should be roomier, right? At least my 03 has a distinctive style and doesn't look like a Toyota.
    HI Again.

My LTZ has been repaired. The dealership reprogrammed the PCM. I pick up the Impala tomorrow at the dealership. My fingers are crossed that the problem has been solved. I might add that GM is only as good as their design people and engineers. The people that assemble their cars are not the problem.
  • soccerhorsesoccerhorse Member Posts: 10
    Question for everyone:
    To order an Impala with the heated leather bench seats, one must get the 3L option which forces you to get the bigger 3.9L engine. For me, after driving a 90 Suburban for 262K miles, I want the most efficent engine and for the life of me can't figure out why a person must get a bigger engine to get the leather seats seats? Of course I don't understand why the 3.9L is an option when the 5.3L V8 get roughly the same MPG and has more HP. Of course the HP on the 3.5L is actually 1 HP more than my Suburban. Plenty of power in my opinion for the weight of the car. After test driving both, the 3.9L was overkill. Any Chevey marketing folks out there? - Offer all the bells and whistles of the car with the small engine! Some folks think it is powerful enough.
    Just my thoughts - Anyone else?
    Dave
    I believe the media is fair when it comes to comparing new vehicles. Many in the media have been around for years and they and the consumers remember in the not too distant past the big three made a lot of junk. Chevy made a lot of cars previous that only lasted a few years, and some had a long run but again were terminated. Vega, Citation, Celebrity, Cavalier, Camaro etc. The Japanese tend to keep improving what they have rather then starting all over again with new models like the big three seems to do. When they do that the bugs have to be wrung out of each of them. By the time they get it right the model is dumped and the process starts all over again. This 2006 Impala is an improvement over the previous model and so it should be. Strong rumours now are that the future Impala could be RWD (the process starts again!) I am sure Honda/Toyota etc have had their share of problems. One or two instances of a reliability issue with a certain vehicle really isn't an insight of a vehicles overall dependability. Comparable cars in the same segment that continually have top sales is the real measuring stick of a cars popularity/reliability. Again I am not endorsing Japanese cars but the CIVIC, ACCORD, CAMRY etc. have been around for decades and are improved every couple years. They probably have more second, third, fourth time purchasers then any other car company. They have probably the top resale values over any US manufacturer, and thats very important to the consumer.....VALUE!..This 2006 Impala is the third time in its history its come back. If it had just stayed from the beginning and improved every couple years & kept up with the modern changes it would be the real winner it should be instead of having to work out the bugs of each new design. How many billions are wasted by the big three because of poor market planning when models are dumped after two or three years Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Marauder, Pontiac Aztec etc and soon to be Chevy SSR just to name a few. After nearly 100 years in the auto business you would think GM/Ford/DC would know this by now. We don't continually need new models, just make the ones we have better every couple years.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I've only owned American cars, so don't get me wrong.

The current Accord is all-new, the current Camry is in its 2nd generation only. Yet, they have overall better quality than their American competitors, newer and older designs. So, it's not the fact that American companies rehash designs more often, the problem lies elsewhere, everywhere: design, manufacturing, etc.

IMHO, the worst problem is the pensions and health-care liabilities. It's said that they cost a few hundreds in each domestic car. That's a few hundreds that's not spent in technology, accessories, materials, production and investments.

As someone joked, the two remaining American companies are not in the car business, but in pensions and health-care. :D
  • maku337maku337 Member Posts: 15
    For those of you who have complained of a clicking noise behind the IP; I am very interested in what has been done to correct the problem by your dealership. I work at the Oshawa Car Plant where the Impala is assembled and concentrate on squeaks and rattles. Please e-mail me the last 8 numbers of the VIN so I can check into what has been done. We've just recently started to see this as an issue with the colder weather, and I want to kill this quickly. Thanks for your assistance.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Hey maku337,

It's great to see that GM employees are keeping their ear to the ground by reading Edmunds. I don't think this would have ever happened 10 years ago.

M
    The Toyotas/Hondas have been steadily improving their products every couple years. They watched and learned from the mistakes that the big three bean counters made. They don't dump models only to bring them back a few years later completely different and then have to go through the first couple year glitches. Its obvious the GM white shirts have made a lot of mistakes. They sell too many cars to fleet services, make very little on these, which in turn depress resale values. We all want a high return on our cars when they are traded. The 2006 Impala is no exception. Great news for the used Impala buyer.

35-40 years of shift work......the workers are entitled to their pensions. Only jealous people would say they are not.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    I work with a gentleman who purchased a new 2005 Honda Odyssey and had so many problems with the car in the first 3 months of ownership, that they ordered a new vehicle for him. So far, so good, but his confidence in Honda's reputation is forever tarnished. It seems he never had ANY problem, other than normal maintenance with his two previous Dodge Caravans!! His story is not all that extraordinary. I've spoke with others who have had problems with their Hondas, Toyotas, Volkswagens, and yes, . . . Mercedes!

As a 05 Honda Odys owner, I do agree with you on the general statement: all car makers have design and manufacturing screw-ups. For example, a lot of 05-06 Honda Odys owners (I am one of them too) have their vehicles making horrible booming sound at highway speed (60-65 MPH, with 2200-2400RPM). It sounds like the vehicle has a broken tail pipe or leaky air filter housing. Even my rattle-trap 97 Olds minivan sounds more refined than that. On top of that, the vehicle 's dashboard is full of cheap plastic. So the name Honda or Toyota alone does not automatically means better performance or quality. The same is true that not all Wal-Mart items are at lowest price. You have to pick and choose model and check their track record. Remember that Nissan, a hot company, has 3-4 models ran at the bottom of First-Time-Quality study.

jt
  • ivanadrivealotivanadrivealot Member Posts: 35
    jz68, I would also like to hear the details of what was done on the repair. I have the '06 3LT and have the IP clicking problem. Because I use the remote starter a lot, I didn't pick up on it until more recently when I got in the car, started it manually, and drove it off cold.

Maku337, I've narrowed it down to this: When the car is cold, and I have the fan blowing through the top (e.g., dial set to window exhaust), after a few minutes (2-3) the clicking noises begin. If I turn off the fan, the noise immediately stops. When I turn it back on, the clicking starts up again. After a few minutes the clicking stops altogether (presumably because the affected parts have warmed up).

It didn't sound like the previously posted TSB, as that indicated the sounds should come from the passenger side. In my case, the clicking sounds pretty much come from the center of the front dash, meaning starting from the two center directional vents and moving upward and forward to the windshield top vent. I can't tell if all the clicks come from the same exact location or not.

While it's more of an annoyance, I am concerned about the long-term effects on the affected components if I don't do anything about it. They may not respond well to rapid heating and expansion.

So any additional information is most welcome, thanks.
  • day9day9 Member Posts: 57
    I may need to buy a car soon and i am struggling with this idea. For the same amount of mony to buy a new impala ($22K), you can buy a 4- or 5-years old top-line Cadillac with 30K or 40K miles. I may need to drive a lot on highway and I am assuming the Deville will be more comfortable than the Impala. But with Cadillac, I may have to use Premium gas and pay more on maintainance. There is also the image issue. So what do you guys think about this? Please give me some input.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    A week ago Wednesday my barber told me she was planning to buy a new Accord or Camry V6. As we talked, I asked what she was driving currently, which was a 1998 Monte Carlo. I asked if she was having problems with it, and she said no, the only thing she'd done was replace the battery once in 200,000+ miles of ownership (she commutes @ 40 miles one-way every day); but she was ready for a new car. We talked at length about GM cars she might consider (including the LaCrosse which has basically the same drivetrain as her Monte), but when I left that day she was pretty much convinced she'd get an Accord. I walked away stunned that a person could have had such a positive experience with a GM product, but when it came time to replace it she'd switch to another brand, based primarily on all the "good things" she'd heard about Toyota/Honda versus traditional American brands. Plus her husband is a "GM guy" according to her, AND she has a GM MasterCard (although she had little saved up on it)!!

I proceeded to write this up in an e-mail, which I sent to a contact person listed at GM's FastLane blog site. I didn't really expect a response, but wanted someone to hear the story. The next day I received an e-mail from the marketing director of the Impala/Monte Carlo, asking me to call him with info on how to get in touch with my barber, because he personally wanted to give her some facts on the new version of this car and help her make an informed decision. I passed along the info to him, and in our conversation he mentioned that my e-mail had been circulation at some pretty high levels at GM, and they were all very interested in the outcome of this. At one point he forwarded me a string of e-mails, and apparently my e-mail went from the person I contacted originally straight to Bob Lutz, who in turn forwarded it to other folks down the line.

Long story short, my barber is now the proud owner of a 2006 Impala, which would not have been the case if some pretty high level folks at GM hadn't personally gotten involved. Some might argue that this is a sign of desperation that they'd go to so much trouble to make one sale, but I think (hope) this is more a sign of their dedication to turning things around.

(BTW - I'm one of the owners of a 2000 Impala who got included in the 2001 Impala brochure through involvement with this Edmunds board. I only mention that because those of us who participated got a cool Impala pin set for our involvement; I'm supposed to be getting Bob Lutz's autograph as a "thank you" for this effort!)
  • ironjasperironjasper Member Posts: 21
    The Chevy site says that the 06' Impala will run on E85 (85% Ethanol fuel)... I'm just wondering if they mean all the Impala engines, especially the 5.3 V8 ???

Thanks,
    John
    All I know about the repair that was done is that it involved removing the dash and adding insulation to the area where the noises were coming from. I'm not sure exactly where the insulation was added but it's done the job. I was in a hurry to get out of the dealership so I didn't ask for specifics. I was told though that there is a TSB that covers the issue so the details should be available to people with access to it.
    I would email you the last 8 of my VIN but I don't see an email address for you. I'm new to the boards so I might be missing it.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Signature? You should be getting a sales commission! :P
  • rdrrrdrr Member Posts: 20
    "35-40 years of shift work....the workers are entitled to their pensions. Only jealous people would say they are not."

I have worked shift for over 25 years and I do not have a pension from my company. I am sure I am not alone. I have to make an effort to look after myself, save and invest in my own pension so it is not jealousy it is really being in the wrong job or the wrong company. How much did GM pay into your pension over the course of employment?
    Hey, as long as my barber is happy and I don't have to worry about her letting her clippers "accidentally" slip the next time I'm in there, I'm in good shape! :)

I don't have the details, but I know they made her a very good deal on the car as a result of everything. They're sending me an Impala shirt for my part; I asked if they could get Bob Lutz to sign it since he'd been in the string of e-mails, but they'd already put the shirt in the mail. So he's signing something else and they're sending it to me. It'll probably be middle of next week before anything arrives, but I'll let you know.

The person I've been talking with at GM was the product manager on the Impala/Monte Carlo since 2001 before stepping in the marketing manager role, so he was able to give her some real insight into the changes/improvements made to the 2006 models. I do know he specifically directed her to Edmunds.com to do a head-to-head comparison of the cars; I'm not sure what other info he provided her, but whatever he said worked. She even found a buyer on Tuesday for her 200,000+ miles Monte Carlo, so everything fell into place for her.

It just bugs me that when someone drives an import for many years/miles, it is assumed that ALL cars by that manufacturer are capable of the same (at least if properly maintained). But when someone achieves the same thing with a domestic car, it is seen as the exception instead of the rule. I just couldn't idly stand by and let someone who'd had such a positive experience make this switch without a fight.
    I worked 10 & 14 hr shifts for 30 years on a large fire dept in Ontario. I retired at 51, 5 years ago. I also worked 30 years doing part time work and invested my money wisely over the years. Before that I worked full time in a grocery store. I knew at 19 no future in a grocery store for me, so I made a decision and got out. You have to start planning for the future when you start working. You have to look at your benefit package. Will it be sufficient for my future or retirement. Decisions only the individual can make. The Auto workers have great benefits and wages, but thats all part of belonging to a union. I don't always agree with unions and often they are too aggressive but they looked after my interests. Most Canadian/American companies that have been in business more then 30 years have legacy costs. Thats all part of doing business.

GM has planned poorly for their future. They have known for years that lucrative contracts settled with the workers would come back and haunt them.

25 years no pension--wrong company wrong job? Thats the life choice you made, and every individual makes his, and I made mine.

Rumours are flying that the current Impala will be updated in 09/10 as either a FWD or RWD. It will be interesting.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    35-40 years of shift work......the workers are entitled to their pensions. Only jealous people would say they are not.

Yes, they are, both parties agreed to it. Yet, companies do go belly-up, when such contracts become null and void.
    Yes, some poor managed companies do go under, and many successful companies with good strong management continue on indefinetly.

The last few years and even more now many US companies have moved operations overseas where workers are paid 30 cents an hour instead of $30.00 an hour. I don't think there are too many US workers ready for that standard of living yet. With millions of illegal aliens tunnelling into the USA every year soon the illegals will have all the low paying jobs covered in America. Within a few years it will be Mexico North and Mexico South.

The only way to get the minor issues corrected with the 2006 Impalas that have been posted here the past few months is to make your dealership aware of them. Thats the only way GM will know there are problems that need to be corrected.
    You can purchase a 2005 Base Deville for about $28k. A 2004 will run you about $20k depending on mileage. You may have to pay an extra thousand dollars for the "Certification" which gives you a GM bumper to bumper warranty for 100k miles and 6 years (from the time the car was first put into service). If you purchase one from a non-GM dealer or private owner you just get what is left of the 48 Month 50k miles factory warranty unless the car had already been certified when the previous owner bought it. The Deville gets about 27-30 on the road on REGULAR fuel (for the non-DTS models). The difference between the Cadillac and Impala comes from city driving. The Cadillac gets 14-17, the Impala should run around 20. The Cadillac is a GREAT road car. If you are planning mostly highway trips it is a better buy than a new Impala especially considering the extended warranty. Maintenance is about the same as the Impala except oil changes cost a few dollars more because the Northstar engine uses more quarts of oil. I already have a 2003 Cadillac that we use mostly for trips. I have ordered a new Impala mainly for town/local driving. It runs about the same as an upscale Malibu and is wider and has a nicer interior. If I had to choose between a used certified Cadillac Deville (less than 30k miles)and a new Impala for all-around driving (long distance highway commutes with some town driving mixed in) I'd go with the Cadillac. The first year's depreciation is already gone whereas your $22k Impala will be worth $14 in less than a year. Frankly I like the idea of the Cadillac being covered with the factory warranty for 100k miles or at least 4 more years. At 36k miles with the Impala you are on your own.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    The Deville will cost you in repairs, IMO. Always go for the new with warranty provided it's a reliable model.
  • day9day9 Member Posts: 57
    Thanks, this helps alot. So if I purchase a car still under basic factory warranty, can i still purchase the extended warranty?
    Sure but it costs more than getting a "certified" car from a GM dealer. Any GM dealer can sell you a GM Protection Plan even though you bought the car from a Ford dealer or private owner. Don't buy anything other than a GM Protection Plan. There are lots of extended warranties out there. Your best bet for selection of a late model Cadillac is going to a large big city Cadillac dealer.
  • ewoodwardewoodward Member Posts: 5
    maku337,

Email address?
    Drop me a line I will sent you my VIN
    My car is on order - Hope they fix the clicking noise at the factory when they are building the cars. Glad to see the interest by the factory guy.
    FYI - I got my shirt and autograph today from Chevy. I was expecting some type of t-shirt, but instead got a very nice blue dress shirt with the Chevy logo on the chest (brand is Tehama, which is Clint Eastwood's clothing line, which makes it even cooler!).

I also got a 1:25 scale 2003 Indy 500 SSR model autographed by Bob Lutz! They'd asked me what I might want autographed other than a shirt, such as a model. I mentioned several ideas, including the SSR (which my daughter really likes) and an interst in the IRL (they mentioned a NASCAR replica initially, but I'm not a huge fan). I've tucked my pin set from the 2001 Impala brochure away somewhere, but once I find them I'll have a pretty cool display with the pins and the autographed SSR!
    Hi again

My LTZ with the 3.9 litre engine has the same problem again after the dealership reprogrammed the PCM. Does anyone out there that owns a new 06 Impala with the 3.9 litre engine have a problem with the Engine Hot A/C off light coming on thru the Driver information Centre. This problem occurs even when the car is started cold. The engine fan comes on and stays on. Please can someone come up with an answer. The dealership can not.
    HI

I have the LTZ 06 Impala 3.9 litre and it also makes the clicking noises. IT is driving me a little crazy. It sounds like its coming from the centre of the dash as well. I don't have the answer for the rpoblem either but I hope someone can solve the mystery and let this forum know. I am also concerned about the long term effects.
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I've had zero problems with my '06 LTZ. I'm up to about 2500km and I love this car more every time I drive it. Was on Hwy 401 for the first time in clear dry conditions this afternoon. I had a BLAST taking it from 100kph to 140+ and pushing it through the on-ramps. Very stable, lots of pick-up, and smooth as silk.

Sorry that I don't have any suggestions for you axle52. I've had cars in the past with difficult-to-diagnose problems. It's extremely frustrating. Hopefully your dealer (or another dealer) will be able to find the problem soon and get it fixed.
    Hey

I have a LTZ that has the clicking noises as well as a problem with the Engine Hot A/C HOT light that comes on thru the DIC. IT started about a month after I got the vehicle and has been back to the dealership twice already. The first time they told me it was the Thermostat staying open so they replaced that. The problem can back a month later. They reprogrammed the PCM but the problem came back 3 days later. When I start the car cold this Engine Hot A/C light comes on and the fan under the hood come on and stays on. PLease see if you have heard anything in the plant about this problem. The last 8 digints of MY Vin # is 69166928
    Thanks for your concern bhooo1. Hopefully the dealership will come up with a solution. The light came on again today so the dealership said they would get GM involved this time. I'll let everyone know how things turn out.
    You must have missed my earlier posts.

The problem was found to be certain electrical components behind the dash getting cold and then popping and clicking as they warmed up. The dealership removed my dash and put in additional insulation. I'm not sure exactly where they put it, but so far it has done the job. My service tech said that there is a TSB that covers the issue.
  • maku337maku337 Member Posts: 15
    I've just had a look through the bulletins issued for the Impala and could not find one covering the electrical connectors in the IP. Perhaps I missed it, and if anyone has a number, please post it.
    The clicking has been a difficult problem for us to diagnose because it only happens on vehicle warm up and not every Impala does it. We have two ideas on how to correct it and are trying out both ideas at the moment.
    I thought registered members would be able to send me a message or look up my E-mail address. I hesitated doing this, but trust it will be used fairly. My work address is . For those who have had the clicking in the IP, please send me the particulars on your vehicle. I would like at the least, the last 8 numbers of your VIN.