Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    ....2006 Impala SS....It looks like a chevy because it has a bowtie on the front and back, but the back looks like any Malibu or Pontiac G6 its just a little larger. Line 100 people up 20 feet from the back of this new car and most would not know its an Impala...until they got close enough to see the word Impala on the trunk.....take that same 100 people and do the same with any 00-05 Impala or 94-96 SS or 1958-1969 Impala and most would recognize those cars as Impalas (guranteed!) Even the side of the car is non descriptive....no markings at all...its too generic. When I buy a new car I want to be proud of the make and model I am driving, and lets be honest we want everyone to say "hey you got a new Impala"....you don't want people to say "whats that car?" I know they have made major improvements, but this car could show a little more "Impala". the interior should have more SS badging, then just the steering wheel, or maybe the words Super Sport across the glove compartment, or the seats in dark gray and the seat bolsters in light gray to ad a little flair to a car that is suppose to be a Sporty Sedan, ..otherwise its just an LTZ inside with metal strips instead of fake wood....Come on Chevy push the envelope....just my opinion!
  • frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    It is my understanding that the new 3.9L engine will have VVT, but will be OHV and not OHC.

If so, this is a big disappointment. I am not interested in old OHV engines. I want a modern engine like the 3.6L VVT in the LaCrosse.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Looking at this car with no bowtie on it, I would still guess it was American and likely a GM. It just does not look like a Japanese car in anyway. Just my opinion. As for the dullness, no it's not exciting but that's what middle America wants (a la Camry).
    .....The Impala might not look Japanese, As for the dullness thats what the new LS, and LT models are for, individuals who just want a large family sedan, for transportation. I'm from Canada to, and if I am going to spend $42,000 on an SS I want more then dullness for my money! The SS should offer more then what is showing, Spice it up a bit!...More aggressive looking wheels, sportier interior, more SS badging (inside) something!.....If you build it THEY WILL COME!! Don't get me wrong I know they have made major improvements on this car but it took 7 years to get to this point. I'm sitting on the fence right deciding what to do with my 2001 LS if this 2006 SS was a little more head turning I would be first at the dealership writing my order! but thats just me!
  • stormdavystormdavy Member Posts: 80
    ImageShack:

• 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I don't know why you would think the Impala was going to have a DOHC engine. Besides, the 3.6 used in the Lacrosse wouldnt even make this a faster car. The Lacrosse only has 225 lb-ft of torque which is less than the 3.9 and only slightly more than the 3800 and 3500. It's still a modern engine in spite of being OHV. Ford doesn't even have VVT on the duratec used in the 500 and the VVt Duratec in the Fusion/Zephyr makes only 210hp. IF you want the 3.6 you better get a Lacrosse or wait for the new saturn.
    Those lights on the back might be just a little more then I would want but people would sure recognize this as an IMPALA!, not a camry/accord!.....The middle lights should be the white back up lights! Make the lights 90% that size and you have my vote!!....send this to Lutz, maybe its not too late!
  • hvanhvan Member Posts: 56
    That does look cool! Can you do the front also? Give it a nice grill?

GM should hire you as a designer!!!
    One thing I noticed at the show is that there are NO SS logos on the vehicle. Was this an oversight?

While taking pics, a lady walked by me and told her husband that the Impala looks like a "Japanese Import". Her words, not mine.....
  • bh628bh628 Member Posts: 100
    Hi hvan,

I had you in mind this weekend also, wondering if you were going to be going to the Auto Show in that heavy rain! Did you borrow a boat for the drive up from OC???

You are really a car fan, to brave that strong rain! Thanks for all the pictures.

:D
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Yeah, the rain was pretty bad. I figured it was the best time to go see the auto show. The more rain, the lesser the crowd at the show. :)

I'll be going to the auto show again this weekend. A friend of mine is looking to buy a new car. He wants to dump his 540. I'm trying to convince him to get either STS, TL, M35/45, or 300C.
    Why would anyone want a DOHC and not a OHV design?

Simple, it will be quieter, smoother, produce less emissions, lighter, better NVH, breathe better at higher RPM's, rev quicker.

And yes, new DOHC designs produce more bottom end torque than old OHV designs. The only reason to hang on to OHV is cost. OHV is cheaper not better.

Ford will be release a new line of engines based on the 3.5L VVT DOHC design starting in the 2006 model year.
    Chevrolet has never made an DOHV engine in its 93 year history and done quite well in selling cars/trucks.....With a complete revamp of new engines in 2006 all OHV, I guess you will have to move on to a car/truck company that will satisfy your concerns......you won't find it here..."ITS AN AMERICAN REVOLUTION"!!
    Correction on post #117....it should read Chevrolet has never made an DOHC engine...
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    What about the DOHC 3.4 based on the Chevy 2.8/3.1? Believe this engine was in the W-Body Cutlass and Lumina Z34 in the early to mid-nineties.

I agree you can't really count the ZR-1, due to it being a Lotus-design and the engines were built in-house (were built by a marine (boat) shop, correct?)

And frasierdogg, you forgot to mention that you have to REV those DOHC to the high heavens to get that high-torque number, along with the horsepower. Whereas the ohv make torque at low-mid rpm, mostly building right off idle. I will agree that there are a few DOHCs that start making decent pulling power near-right off idle and have o.k. mid-range torque, but they are few and very far between. And who wants to buzz their engine to the high side 5-grand to reach that pulling power?

You're points are o.k, but not really true in terms of NVH, smoothness, lighter (which I don't really see given the add weight of chains/belts, extra cams, gears, bigger heads...). Just because it's OHC doesn't automatically make an engine smooth and a NVH champ. And I won't mention the cost when you have to replace cams, possible stretching of the changes/belts, cost of changing the timing belts, damage if the belt/chain goes.

It's almost like saying OHC is new, it MUST be better, when in fact it's as old as OHV, heck older than what's considered the "modern" OHV!! Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's not as good as OHC. 3800 series II, gen III and IV small-blocks aren't bad.:>

If the OHC is sooo good, how come it took Ford over ten years to boost the hp from 210 to 300 for the 4.6? ;)
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    "And frasierdogg, you forgot to mention that you have to REV those DOHC to the high heavens to get that high-torque number, along with the horsepower. Whereas the ohv make torque at low-mid rpm, mostly building right off idle. I will agree that there are a few DOHCs that start making decent pulling power near-right off idle and have o.k. mid-range torque, but they are few and very far between. And who wants to buzz their engine to the high side 5-grand to reach that pulling power?"

That is a really old stereotype. Yes, it may have been this way in the first days of DOHC, but in today's world, its more than 'few and far between' that DOHC engines have good low and midrange torque.

Witness the Camry 3.3L: PEAK of 240lbs @ 3600 RPM.

The Malibu 3.5 peaks but 400 Revs lower, and with 20 fewer pounds. Or, we can use a Honda as an example. The Acura TL 3.2L produces 90% of its torque peak of 238 foot pounds by 2500 RPM. That means 214 pounds are on tap at that point. Is that not good low-end grunt?

~alpha
    You are wrong on a few points.

First of all OHV engines are lighter than DOHC engines of comparable sizes. On top of that they have lower center of gravity, no timing chains and modern OHV engines are just as good on emissions. As old as OHVs are supposed to be I find it amazing that they can still get the same, or better, mileage as modern DOHC engines and also qualify as low emissions vehicles. When I first started coming to Edmunds people were saying that GM had to phase out OHV engines because they coundnt meet the upcoming emissions standards. That was about six years ago.

Ford's new engine will not be out until calendar year 2006. By that time GM's 3.6 will in the Saturn Aura, Lacrosse and most likely the replacement for the Lesabre.
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    You are correct with those two engine but you also make my point on few and far between. You only listed two that made decent power, but you don't state that there are motors, 4s, 6s & some 8s, that need to be revved into the high rpm-range to make the grunt, if they have decent torque at all. Again, there are far more OHC engines that need to be revved high to hit a their torque range than those that don't. Sorry but this is not a stereotype, it's fact. As stated in my post, I acknowledged there were DOHC & SOHC designs that made decent torque numbers at a usable RPM, even mentioned that some of these designs start making good numbers a little above idle, as well as in the mid-range, just as you pointed out. Assuming that you really read the post, wonder why you forgot to mention that point as well when you were trying to make yours ;}.

The response was to fraiserdog in that even though there are upsides to OHC layouts are there are downsides as well. And second, just because it's an OHC design, it doesn't make it automatically BETTER than OHV.
    Time prohibits me from naming every engine thats OHC or DOHC, I just used two that popped into my head. Note they are even went smaller displacements than the Chevy 3.5L.

Going with the same size displacement, the Nissan 3.5L and Toyota 3.5L also post impressive torque figures. Since the Nissan 3.5L is sold in the U.S. alone in over 500,000 cars and SUVs annually, thats not "few and far between".
    With regard to the Toyota, the peak of 260 is fairly high- at 4700 RPM, but the curve is said to be fairly even, so Id have a hard time thinking that that engine is not making the same 220 foot pounds at 3200 RPM as is the pushrod GM engine of the same displacement. And the DOHC engine won't be completely winded by 5000 RPM.

Since we're talking about examples, can you cite an OHC design that posts low torque for its size?

~alpha
  • z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Member Posts: 101
    Hey, anyone know the details on the 3500 VVT?

According to the Chicago press release this engine has a 99x76 mm bore x stroke, so it's NOT the same as the non-VVT engine in the Malibu, which is 94x84 mm. The 3900-VVT is a bored version (99x84 mm) of the Malibu 3500, and it seems like they "de-stroked" the 3900 for the 3500-VVT.

The Impala press releases suggests looking at the "powertrain" press release for more details - does anyone know where this is? Sorry if this has already been posted, but I don't have the fortitude to read through any more of those "OHV sucks" threads...
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    I actually love that!!...how about changing the middle one to be clear ( back up )?
    Quick, take a look at the ad banner on top of this page. That is a nice looking car. Why can't those boneheads from GM design something that looks great?!!
    OOPS, I included total Altima sales in my statement

"Since the Nissan 3.5L is sold in the U.S. alone in over 500,000 cars and SUVs annually, thats not "few and far between"."

Its over 300K, I believe.

Sorry!
    I have driven the 3.6L in the LaCrosse and the 3.5L in the G6.

The 3.6L is quite and has a very smooth power band all the way to the top. This is a nice motor.

The 3.5L is not nearly as smooth and does not have as flat a power band.

I really wanted to see the Impala with the same engine as the LaCrosse.

Oh well, when the Impala hits the showroom, I will try the 3.9L and see if I like the whole package.
  • bh628bh628 Member Posts: 100
    Hi, I am a newbie, but I have heard the name "Lutz" mentioned a lot. Is he a CEO or major officer of GM? The reason I ask is that I saw the new Edmunds newsletter, where they rated the new Impala. They said that there's a new 2006 trim level, LTZ, and I wondered if he named it after himself.

Also, I looked at the discounts on the '05s and they look more generous this month. $2500 rebate, plus $1500 if you can prove ownership (I'm not sure if it's just current) and $500 for auto show promotion. I am not sure if that last one is just for cities having the auto show, though.

So you probably will be able to pick up a good deal on the '05s, hvan.
    Bob Lutz is the Vice Chairman of GM, but he is in the spotlight all the time....he is the current architect of the new models, he's 72 years old some like him/some hate him.....he's not afraid to speak his mind...worked with many auto companies in the past. The LTZ model is being dubbed the LuTZ model after LUTZ....however the LTZ moniker was used on the Chevrolet Caprice Classic I believe 1993-1996. I could be wrong on a the exact years. It was the top of the line Caprice....wasn't a big hit because the Caprice was winding down at that time...and ended production at the end of the 96 model year...I find using these letter designations confusing.....previously the Impala LS was the top of the line, now its the base model....why do they need four models including the LT?..and as I said the LTZ used to represent the Caprice Classic......they have sort of gone off track to those that follow the Impala designations, but I am sure it will do ok!
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    There was also a Lumina LTZ, and I think TrailBlazer LTZ. It's the "high-end" non-sporty model (that ends up as SS.

Lots of past Chevys have been LS, LT, LTZ, and SS...

--Robert
    .......Never paid much attention to the Lumina over the years, but you are right about the Lumina LTZ.....I was mostly referring to the full size chevy letter designations.....there has never been an LT or LTZ Impala and SS has been coming and going since 61'....there is a lot of division with people regarding the Impala SS...the older school believes SS should be rear wheel drive and the younger set are happy with front wheel drive, and for the first 9 years an SS Impala was only available as a two door hardtop or convertible and could have been ordered with the smallest 6 cylinder engine or the largest V8 that Chevy offered......a lot of things have changed!
    There is info about the new OHV engines on media.gm.com under the press release for the Impala and Monte Carlo. Look for the tab that says powertrain on your left when you get to the press release.

Since people are talking about OHV engines being winded at high RPMs I think it's worth noting that the Impala's V6 engines redline at 6400 rpm which is higher than some DOHC engines. GM's OHV V8s in the trucks redline at 6000 rpm which is higher than Ford and Toyota OHC V8s if I'm not mistaken. If there's an OHV engine out thre that doesnt have any top end power it's probably the HEMO which redlines at a meager 5400rpm. Honda/Acura are typically the ones making fours and sixes with very high redlines and tons of top end power. Most Nissan/Toyota/European products have rather tame redlines.
    The redline tells nothing about usable power (HP) near that mark. Just because an engine CAN rev high, doesnt mean it necessarily should if theres more noise and vibration than thrust up there.

~alpha
    I would believe that the 2006 Police Impala will have the 3.9 engine package with the 240 hp engine. I don't know if the V8 will be an option for the police, cash strapped departments today would not be interested in replacing expensive 18" tires and paying 50 cents a gallon more for 91 octane gas.......it will be interesting to see what will be available to the police.....The Police Impala has not had great success in selling their smaller front wheel drive cars to the police, The Crown Vic still outsells the Impala about 5-1.........
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    I think you're right. It's getting the 3.9 motor. My son-in-law's a cop and said his department gets great deals on Crown Vics. They also looked at the SS Impala, but it was too expensive. Car dealers aren't willing to discount them, even for police departments. Besides, I read where its supercharger would eventually burn up due to the constant demands for performance that cops need. The car would also have to be equipped with cop shocks and a cop suspension. I'm beginning to sound like Elwood Blues.
    Most engines with high redlines have high power peaks. You can check it out for yourself. Most time the hp peak on a DOHC engine is within 500rpm of the redline, but sometimes it is even closer to that. Honda engiens are famous for having high redlines and little low end power. How many times have you read about a small engined Honda that feels dead below 3000 or 4000rpm?
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    It looks to me like some kind of a Taurus. Regardless of all the typical hype, DTS, Impala, etc are just makeovers. I doubt if the average Impala owner knows or cares whether he has a V8 or just the 3800.
    Noticed there was no rear spoiler on the SS?
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    FWIW - The Haynes manual for the current generation Impala (2000-2005) also covers the last generation Lumnia; in many ways the 2000 Impala was a refresh of the Lumina.
    I think its a stretch to say the Impala was merely a refresh of the lumina. I think the '06 refresh is very thorough and is more than most people expected. It is just as "all new" as a camry or accord. Toyota and Honda rarely come out with new platforms, they just substantially change sheetmetal and interiors.
  • p911carp911car Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I really like to see a new future design of a Chevy impala.

Maybe this is something to look forward too when people keep asking for a new GM-car by the board of directors of general Motors.

Chris.
    Chris: Down the road I would think the future Impala will be a blend of the 2006 Impala and similar sized Holden cars now offered. Future styling will take a back seat to future technology....I believe all wheel drive will offered (Impala) in the next year or two, the exterior styling won't change much, lighter body/engine components & more emphasis will be placed on alternative fuel source engines such as electric/hydrogen that will probably move quickly into the auto market place in the next few years....cost will be a big concern as new technology is not cheap!.......with Ford Five Hundred & others now offering all wheel drive and Toyota Prius & Honda Accord now offering alternative fuel power, GM will have to get into the game soon!
    The next-gen (after the 2006 reskin) Impala will ride on the new Zeta RWD/AWD platform, being engineered in Australia by Holden and debuting on the 2006 Commodore. The US debut was originally scheduled for Buick, but now it will probably be the 2007 Pontiac GTO coupe (and likely a Chevy counterpart - possibly Camaro, possibly Chevelle). The Pontiac G8 sedan will follow, along with Buick Invicta sedan and unknown (Velite?) coupe, and then finally the Impala (don't know about the Monte) by the 2009 model year.

I don't think GM would do such a significant reskin of the Impala for '06 if it were only going to be one or two years in production. I also doubt you'll see AWD on the current W-body-based car.

--Robert
    Robert: Your probably right about the AWD on the W body based car.....I have read that they are throwing the Chevelle name around for the next Chevy car but to me that would be confusing. If it is going to be a 4 door they better not call it a CAMARO......back in the 60's the Malibu became the Chevelle....now having the Malibu and a Chevelle name doesn't make sense....Large 2 door sedan/coupes like the Monte Carlo, days are numbered....
    The Buick Zeta sedan will come first based on every thing I've read. Since the Impala is new for '06 I wouldnt expect a RWD impala for some time. I can't see the G8 showing up before the year 2007 and even then I dont know if they will immediately drop the Grand Prix. I'm thinking the Buick and GTo will come out in the same year, 2006.
    The Buick vehicles have been delayed, it's my understanding.

The GTO is now first up for MY 2007, with the Chevy coupe also likely MY2007. Don't know if the G8 will be 2007 or 2008 MYs. Ditto the new Buicks. Impala will probably not be until 2009.

First plant to roll over to Zeta production is likely Hamtramck (where the current Bonneville, Deville, LeSabre, and Park Avenue are made). There will be a new DTS and Buick Lucerne, but not sure if they'll continue building those while starting to convert to Zeta. Eventually the Oshawa plant (where the Monte/Impala, Grand Prix, and LaCrosse are currently built) will switch over. The good news is those are 2 of GM's highest rated plants for quality (I think only the Lansing Grand River plant, where the CTS, SRX and now STS are made rates higher...).

--Robert
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    Insiders on other message boards have said that GM may delay a Buick RWD sedan because of overlap with the LaCrosse and Lucerne. Buick doesn't really need 3 sedans all between 195 and 205 inches long. Also, because of the success of the Chrysler 300, GM is reevaluating the pricing of a RWD Buick sedan.
    That may be true. I cant see why they would rush the Zeta Buick to production if a new Lucerne is coming out this fall. I dont think GM really needs three RWD large sedans. After all, they dont want to sabotage sales of the CTS.
    A friend told me the '06 Impala SS will be FWD. In previous posts (in the Impala forum) I said there shouldn't be a problem using the same engine/tranny combo that the '05 Grand Prix GXP will be using. However, I now see that the GXP will be RWD. That same engine/tranny combo in the GXP could be a problem in the Impala SS because of its FWD (although Chevy's engineers apparently seem to know what they're doing). Some people in that forum say the 5300 engine would generate too much torque for the FWD tranny in the '06 Impala SS to handle. But who knows for sure?
    The GXP is FWD, not RWD.

GM's been working for 4-5 years to get this V8 package ready for their FWD vehicles. I'd imagine they'll not overlook the tranny - despite an occasional blip, there's a reason why GM transmissions are known as the best in the business (except, of course, for the lag in the 6-speed auto development, but that's coming...)

--Robert
    GM has been working for 4-5 years to get this v8 ready for FWD vehicles!....where did you get that information?!!!. What is your source? I believe they were testing this 18 months ago or so but not 5 years ago!...Motor Trend, Edmunds, Car and Driver and most other car sources up until several months ago still believed there was no v8 coming for the Impala...I believe this V8 was rushed in the past year because of the huge success of chryslers current v8 hemi ....even Chevys Gary Cowger said recently the 5300 was just recently designed to fit front wheel drive applications and Pontiac was the first to get it......no way was a v8 even on the radar 4 or 5 years ago for FWD.....they weren't even offering the super charged v6 for the Impala at that point and we are still going through that sequence.....We have to thank chrysler for their success for blazing the trail that shows that there is a market for V8s again in family sedans, and they have set the bar to the next level for performance! Hemi! they have done their homework!......At this point in time GM is a follower not a leader! Like it or not. I am sure there will be a market for this V8 Impala SS, but not for its great performance but for its loyal followers! and I am a loyal chevy fan right back to the 60's.......
    Hey charts2. Pardon me for the intrusion on your post to hammen2, but I think you should try to be a little less caustic in your remarks to people. I saw where you jumped all over me too in the other Impala forum, when you challenged me about where I got my info on the GXP. In case you haven't seen my reply yet, I read about the GXP being FWD at this site:

http://www.fast-autos.net/pontiac/pontiacgrandprixgxp.html

It's probably a mistake on their part. Scroll down under Photos to Specifications/General Information/Layout: It should have said FWD, not RWD.
    GM has shown concept Monte's/Grand Prix cars with V8's for a couple of years now. I distinctly remember reading an interview with Kurt Ritter, former Chevy division head (before he jumped ship to Toyota in 2003?), where he indicated V-8s were "probably" coming. This is something Lutz also pushed for, and he re-joined GM in August/September of 2001, IIRC.

An engine program like the LS4 V-8 takes at least 3-4 years of development. Go look on the GM Powertrain website, and you'll see that one of the design criteria for this engine was FWD applications.

The V-8 in the Impala/Grand Prix/Monte is not a crash-and-burn due to the success of the Chrysler 300. Bear in mind that crash-and-burn times in the auto industry are upwards of two years (which is how long it took to federalize the Holden Monaro as the GTO - the upcoming Solstice will end up being about 2 1/2 years from concept to on-sale). Also remember that federal/EPA regulations change on a regular basis. The 3800 engine won't meet some upcoming changes (not sure if 2007 or 2009), so obviously it must be either upgraded or replaced. GM obviously decided to replace it, and thus the FWD V-8.

Hope this explains things,

--Robert

(doesn't work for GM or any automaker - I'm just an IT geek with industry interest)