Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• chrisnjchrisnj Member Posts: 7
    I like the options, and think chevy did a really nice job with the options packages improving ea. one a little bit. GM of old mixed everything too much and you had to buy 2 levels higher than you actually wanted to get 'something', and was very frustrating.
  • chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
    My brother besides his truck has a 95 Impala SS and refuses to let his wife sell it. He loves that car. She wants a new car. He says we're not getting rid of it. He is always getting compliments on it.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Try www.shockwarehouse.com and see if they have any aftermarket struts/shocks you might prefer, if the dealer can't duplicate your issue or doesn't agree their is a problem. I have upgraded factory struts and shocks on a couple of vehicles with somewhat soft suspensions - Monroe Sensatracks and KYB GRII's seem to help without going the ridiculously firm Konia/Bilstein route. www.tirerack.com also sells shocks, but not as many (and shipping is free at shockwarehouse).

You'll need to confirm that parts interchange between '04's and '05's and '06's since after market parts numbers lag a year behind new model introductions. I am sure all 2000-2005's will interchange, but the '06 was a substantial revision to the Impala. You may have to wait until the fall to get aftermarket parts for it.

BTW, as an enthusiast you know that dampers wear in like many other parts - the break-in on a Scion xA and on some replacement GRII's on another car was noticeable to me, but genererally it has been hard for me to notice the wear in (softening up). The Chevy isn't that stiff to begin with - you are sure the suspension is sloppy now, and you haven't just gotten used to driving the car and are driving it harder now? On the earlier model Impalas I test drove, the suspension wasn't very tight to begin with....
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    I seem to have noticed a softening of my suspension ('06 SS). Mine isn't terrible it just seems to dive a little more under braking. So far, it isn't a real issue for me.
  • chrisoswaldchrisoswald Member Posts: 1
    Hello all...i have a 06 LTZ..i am curious to see if any other LTZ owners are having issue with the front seats being unbearably painful. I cannot drive the car more than 30 minutes without extreme pain in my legs from these brick like seats. I had an 03 imapala and it was very comfortable..my honda, jeep and F150 are all comfortable. The car is just awful..is it just me?
  • drat19drat19 Member Posts: 28
    The LTZ leather seats are definitely an acquired taste. They are certainly firmer than any other leather seats I've ever owned. However, I just completed a 4500-mile road trip in mine and I like 'em just fine.

However, that's just me...I can definitely see your point if you're not used to and don't prefer such a firm seat.
  • jcooleyjcooley Member Posts: 46
    See message 627. You may have an Impala from the first 2 months build. It states the lumbar was modified after those months to make the front seat more comfortable.
  • gocasskingsgocasskings Member Posts: 30
    Help me understand. I have almost decided that the problems I experienced early might be (dare I say that) fixed. However, what is the CAM sensor and could it possibly be the answer to "service battery charging system, service traction control, and something in the diagnostic with the power train?

For those of you with the rough drive, I had two tires replaced (something else that I didn't understand about road force) and the car had to be aligned 3 different times to go along with that. At that point, I began to like the "feel" of the car on the road.

I still wonder if I will keep this one----I am still not very trusting. My biggest concern is that all of the issues occured during an Indiana winter. It is nothing like those conditions now, so my worries are great......................
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    I agree totally. I think that Impala has done a good job with options. I'm always disgusted with car models that make you get a sunroof for example in order to get something that has no association with a sunroof.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    I'm just thinking the LT3 and LTZ are redundant..every LT3 I see has options that price it at or above the MSRP of an LTZ. Which makes no sense to me. They end up being virtually identical.
    Unless I'm mistaken, you can't get an LTZ without leather. All three LTs have various base levels to build upon but all just have the LT label on the back of the car. So, I don't think it adds any cost to the product line to have the various LT levels but it does allow the buyer the freedom to get a car spec'd exactly how they want it. An average citizen only sees four variations, LS, LT, LTZ, and SS. Only those of us hanging out in the forums and real car geeks (which I would consider myself) bother to be bothered by the minutia. :) Just my humble opinion.
    This hasn't happened to me but I was speaking with a friend who sells Buicks at the local dealership and he said that you should only clean the new dashes (LaCrosse, Impala, etc) with a damp cloth. Someone in his service department laid a solvent soaked rag on the dash and it bubbled up. I don't know what the solvent was but I am not going to wipe off my dash with anything but water from now on and I'd advise you all to do the same.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    As I was peppering this thread with my Accord comparisons, I figured I'd update...Honda put $750 manufactuer to dealer cash on Honda's...buyers are now reporting prices in the low 23's on Accord EX V6's equipped with leather, heated seats, XM, moonroof, dual climate, etc.

That's 2k lower than Impala 3LT and Impala LTZ. Good for Chevy if they can keep those Impala prices that high, but...for somebody like me...if I decide to buy, I think I'm headed to Honda at that price.
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    My wife's 06 Imala had the driver side widow screech until I took it to the car wash. The water and soap must have lubricated whatever was rubbing. It probably will be back but so far so good. Also I can't open the trunk with the dash button. I've read the manual about only when in park but only the remote opens it. Does anyone else have this problem?
    Gene
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    There probably is a cutout switch somewhere (glovebox?)for the trunk button to keep valets from opening it without the key.

The windows on my Buicks seemed to move smoothest when I run them up and down a couple of times when it's raining out.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• spencer327spencer327 Member Posts: 106
    Thank you for reminding me why I didnt buy this car.
    In the showroom I felt like i was sitting on a board.
    This is not the seat you want if you any lower back problems. I am looking for a car with the most comfortable seats.
  • steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    Thats my only complaint with the Impala. Funny thing is the previous version was known to have very comfy seats. Try the malibu, I like those seats-very conforming to the lower back and easy to find a good position with the tilt/telescope steering wheel and adjustable pedals.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    We are looking very seriously at a 2006 Impala; I recall a long time ago a GM employee offering to mail discount coupons (which employees were receiving and being urged to share). I also remember hearing about getting a "top off" on the GM Card. Any information about either appreciated.
  • balichbalich Member Posts: 62
    Honda or Toyota

The Impala has a measly $500 rebate - both Honda and Toyota
    is higher .. why would anyone but a Impala when they can get a Honda or Toyota for close or less money

Look at post 1564 for examples.

GM is getting greedy trying to get better margins .. that is why their market share is dropping fast so far this year .. now close to 23 percent share.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Why not wait for the 2007 Impala. Production starts in 5 weeks. I am sure many of the problem issues with the 2006 will be corrected on the 07.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    Impala is a "relatively" new vehicle compared to the "end of design cycle" for the Honda Accord. GM pricing reflects what they can get in the market for the Impala. If the sales number goes down, they'll put rebate on it. It is just the function of Demand vs. Rebate. Right now, Impala is a relative sucess for any new GM cars (Malibu, G6, La Cross, DTS). So they do not want to give the car away yet unless they want to buy market share again.

There are those who like Impala, and there are those who like Camry and Accord. BTW, Impala has been among the best built vehicles in the US market. It compares very well against all mid size vehicles.

jt
  • bubbaman999bubbaman999 Member Posts: 54
    I used the top off rebate on my O6 Grand Prix GXP, it expired end of march. I couldn't use it with my GM supplier pricing, the would let you combine them. I said fine don't use the supplier price and sell me the car at invoice, which was lower than the supplier price. They said no, so I left. They called me back a week later and said lets do it. I got the 2K top off, plus a auto show $500 rebate and got the car before trade in at $26,640. Sticker was $31 something. I had another GM card and they would let you combine them with the top off amount. I traded in a civic and they were very hungry because a I got a pretty good amount on it as well. They had 2.9%
    financing for 36 months.

Good luck with your car.

Gary
    I don't have any problem with the cloth seats in my 2LT but the seats could be an inch or so wider. The LaCrosse cloth seats are (I compared the two today) and it makes a difference on a 6 hour trip to Dallas. My Cadillac also has wider seats. An inch doesn't seem like much but it is on a long trip. The LaCrosse and Impala are built in the same factory and are the same size, platform, etc. You would think that they would use the same seats.
    I guarantee it will be back unless you live in a rain forest. Get the dealer to replace the plastic/rubber piece that doesn't fold back when the window goes down. As far as the dash button goes, mine works even when the key is off and in Park. That's two things under warranty that need to be fixed.
    By the way, if you can get into the car and you have the flip and fold rear seats anyone can access the trunk by simply pulling on the little strap to pull down a seat. Apparentely it was too expensive for GM to have the pull straps in the trunk like they had in my 2001 Malibu. Security is non existent.
    If they are able to get into the passenger compartment, they wouldn't need to flip the seat to gain access to the trunk; they could just push the trunk release. If you haven't secured the passenger compartment, you've got bigger issues than trunk access. ;)
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    To each is own but I understand what you are saying. I have also read some people don't like to go into the trunk to pull the strap on some cars because its too inconvenient.
    Well, that's true. This could happen on any car with a trunk release.
    Same set up on the 00-05 Impalas. Pull the back seat straps or push the trunk release button. YOUR IN THE TRUNK!
  • quigquig Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know when the new Impala is going to be in production, and is there a 5 speed in there future.

Thanks
    The 2007 Impala goes into production the second week of June. There is no 5 speed in the works. The changes to the 2007 Impala are that three new exterior colors will be added and two current colors deleted. DOD will be standard on the 3.9 V6. Horsepower on that engine will drop from 242 to 233 hp. Those are about the only changes known so far for the 2007 Impala.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    GM has been working with Ford on the 6 speed AT (they are probably selling the design to Ford). So if they decide to upgrade on the 4 speed AT, you will more likely seeing the 6 speed version instead.

I think the new Saturn mid size vehicle (coming out this summer) will have the 3.6L OHC + 6 speed AT. Hopefully, the Impala will see this combo sometime. GM should give Chevy the best technology since that division is doing all heavy duty lifting for the corporation.

jt
    Thanks for info. can you tell me what the colors are going to be added and deleted.
    Thanks again
    Quig
    Thanks (jnt) I'm going to wait for the 2007 Impala I think. Do you think they are selling alot of Impala's this year and do you think they will have a surplus going into 07. I really like the laser blue color hope they don't delete that color in 07.

Thanks again
    Quig
  • bubbaman999bubbaman999 Member Posts: 54
    This is what I saw on the web. Don't know the validity of the data.

Deletions

- (22U) Superior Blue Metallic exterior color
    - (63U) Sport Red Metallic exterior color
    - (68U) Glacier Blue Metallic exterior color

New Features

- (27U) Precision Red exterior color
    - (37U) Imperial Blue Metallic exterior color
    - (49U) Bordeaux Red exterior color
    - (80U) Red Jewel Tintcoat exterior color
    - (LZ4) 3.5L 3500 V6 SFI gasoline engine (non-E85 compatible)

Changes

- (LZ8) 3.9L 3900 V6 engine with Active Fuel Management replaces (LZ9) 3.9L 3900 V6 engine

The new 3.5L is rated at 211HP @ 5800rpm and 214lb-ft @ 4000rpm; the 3.9L is now rated at 233HP @ 5600rpm and 240lb-ft @ 4000rpm.

Hope this is correct and helps,
    Gary
    Thanks Bubbaman999
    Quig
  • zjimzjim Member Posts: 51
    I've developed another new problem on my 3LT. The latest is a rattle in the front suspension that is noticeable at low speeds when going over small rough surfaces, especially while turning. I had the car in to the dealer for my first oil change (2500 miles) and asked them to check for a loose tie rod or whatever else might be causing the noise. The service writer advised that he has had other Impalas with the same problem. He said that a call to Chevrolet by him resulted in them telling him that a "repair part" would be coming in June to correct the problem. Anyone else had this problem? Anyone know if what the service advisor told me is accurate, or is it just a story to string me along until they can figure out what's causing it? It makes the car sound like a car with over 100K and worn suspension/steering components!
    These 2006 Impalas shouldn't be having these problems at this point in time. The service advisor indicates that the front end problems have also been reported on other 2006 Impalas with no immediate fix. WHAT! GM has a long way to go to clean up their reliability act. Just 2 weeks ago class action lawsuits were filed against GM for several of their models that consists of millions of GM cars dating back to 1998 with the intake manifold/coolant leak issue that also includes the 00-03 Impalas. Many have spent thousands $$ on engine break downs and seizures as a result. I am sure many of those owners will look to the competiton next time around.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Should see 6-speeds in 08. The 3.6 Aura and G6 will have them for 2007.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Hate to say it, but what you're describing sounds very similar to the intermediate steering shaft (ISS) problem that plagued the 2000-2005 Impala (at least the first few years, anyway). This was apparently also a problem on other GM cars (Intrigue was mentioned several times in the earlier Impala forum). Symptoms were a clunking you could feel when turning (especially to the right as I recall, particularly if you were braking moderately while turing). It started as something you could feel in the brake pedal and steering wheel, which progresses to the point that passengers can feel/hear it. The fix on my 2000 Impala was for the dealer to tap into the steering shaft and add extra lubricant - I had it done once under warranty, and it basically fixed the problem. On the one hand I hope this isn't your problem, because I'd hate to think they haven't been able to solve this in the past 5-6 years...but on the other hand, if this is your problem, it's a pretty quick fix.
    Its a possibility to see the 6 speed for the Impala for 2008. If thats the case, it would only serve the 3.5 and 3.9 because the 6 speed thats developed cannot accomodate high torque that the SS 5.3 V8 produces.

If GM fast tracks the new RWD Impala for the 09 model year then it wouldn't make sense to spend the tech money for a 6 speed for 1 or two years & only on two engine versions of this car. If Chevy shows the next generation Impala at the auto shows next year then I believe the next Impala will be arriving sooner then expected. Exciting times are coming.

I doubt that its the ISS problem on Zjim car. The ISS noises usually start after several thousand miles of driving. It could be a left front tie rod. They have been a problem on many of the 00-05s. Once you are out of warranty on your car the ISS issue is now a maintenance item. I just had my 01 LS lubed for the second time for $120.
  • zjimzjim Member Posts: 51
    I mentioned the ISS and tie rod ends to the service writer and asked him to check it out while the car was up on the rack for the lube job. He just sort of ignored me and went into this story about some unknown repair. I have to admit that the noise is similar to that on my 2001 Regal when the ISS was bad. The only difference between the Regal and the Impala is that the Regal used to "drift" on the highway and need constant correction on the steering wheel to keep it going straight down the hignway. The Impala is rock solid on the highway, with no noticeable drift. With only 2500 miles on the car I wouldn't think the ISS would be bad, although I didn't have this problem when the car was new. The last two new cars I've purchased were Chevrolets, but I don't think I'll go for the third!
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    For those of you who regularly drive your Impala SS at higway speeds (70-80mph), how muted or how noticeable is the wind noise?

If you've had occasion to be bothered by it, was the dealer able to reduce or illiminate it by adjusting the door position or the seals?

Thanks.
    I just finished an 1100 mile trip and most of it was at 75-80. I would say my SS is very quiet. Most of what I hear is road noise which I expect with 50 series tires. I did test drive a different SS before I bought the one I have now and it was considerably more noisy than the one I bought or the other LTs we tested. I figured it had some issues with door alignment but never found out the true cause.
  • steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    Just curious. Did you all get your first oil change after 500 miles or so or did you wait until 3,000 miles like usual?
    I always thought you should change the oil the first time at about 500 miles or so.
    I think there are various theories on the subject. I changed mine at 2000 but had intended on changing it at 1000. You did remind me of a question I wanted to ask...

Does anyone know the exact reasons for the recommended break-in period? The Impala manual says not to drive at the same speed for any length of time in the first 500 miles. I specifically asked my dealer if there were any issues with break-in since I would have to drive my new car over 500 miles to get home. He assured me break-in wouldn't be an issue and I trusted him. I later read the manual AFTER the drive and saw the break-in guidance. I haven't noticed anything so far but my car has consumed about a 1/2 qt of oil (Mobile 1) in the 2000 miles since I changed it.
  • balichbalich Member Posts: 62
    GM only has a $500 rebate of these vehicles .. I went
    to price them .. I can't believe they want $20k+ for this
    vehicle ... Are they worth $20K and up .. I would think
    if priced like a Accord or Camry ... surely folks would
    pick the Accord or Camry over the Impala.
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    There have been a few reports of issues but nothing that is showing up consistently across the board. My LTZ has over 6500 miles with no trouble whatsoever. I really love this car.

I would definitely not choose an Accord or Camry over the Impala. I like the look better and I like the fact that I'm supporting my fellow Canadians at the Oshawa assembly plant.

I'm getting really tired of the implications that anyone who buys an Impala needs to have their head read. If you don't want to buy and Impala, then don't! Go buy an Accord or Camry and be happy with it. I'm really happy with my choice, as are many many others who have bought an Impala. Other people are really happy with their Accords and Camrys. The point is, we all make our choices for our own reasons and we can all be happy with them.
    I'm with bh0001. If you don't like the Impala, so be it. Go buy your overrated, overpriced, and soul-less Accord or Camry and spend your time in THEIR forums. I've never had problems with my American/Canadian produced vehicles and I have loved them all. I don't take issue with the herds that flock to the Japanese brands. Having those vehicles on the road only makes me appreciate my choice that much more. :)
  • ivanadrivealotivanadrivealot Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the 2007 update. With the 3.9 getting DOD (now called Active Fuel Management), doesn't that make the 2006 3.9L a bit of an oddity for getting parts down the road? (I'm guessing there have to be some differences between the LZ8 and LZ9 engines, and one year for a newly redesigned engine seems extremely short-lived.)

Although, Wikipedia has the LZ9 engine listed as used in the following:

2006 Chevrolet Impala/Monte Carlo
    2006 Chevrolet Malibu/Malibu Maxx SS
    2006-7 Pontiac G6 GTP (2006) / GT Performance (2007)

But again, that's mostly a one-year run.