Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    My first new car was an '84 Buick Skyhawk, and I didn't follow any specific break in period; drove it home on weekends about 70 miles one way, mostly Interstate driving at 60 MPH (back when the limit was 55). Although I never had any real problems with the car related to that, as the car got older it developed some noise or vibration when running right around 60 MPH - I didn't notice it much until the speed limits went up...you'd get between 55 and 60 and the engine would get increasingly louder, and then as you approached 65 it would quiet down. I always attributed that to driving it right at 60 early on, but I can't prove that. I sold the car 5 years later with 70k miles on it, so I can't say if it developed any long-term issues as a result.

But, based on that experience, I've made it a point to NOT use cruise control during the first 500 or so miles, and if I'm making that same trip to my parent's house I'll go back roads (which are more fun when driving a new car anyway!!).
  • zjimzjim Member Posts: 51
    For the first 3 months of ownership, the remote lock/start system worked fine. Now I have to sometimes get to about 6 feet from the car to use the remote. When new, I could easily start the car from my kitchen window to the garage, which is 25 feet away. The manual says that the remote start cars have an extended range of up to 195 feet. My car would easily start from 200 feet when new. Now it's just 6 feet? I tried the second remote, which was never used. It performs the same way as the first. I doubt that both remotes would have a bad battery. Anyone else have the same problem? The dealer is getting the car on Monday to repair 6 separate items, including a squeaking cooling fan, ill fitting sunroof, front suspension rattling, excessive bouncing when going over road dips, replacing crooked trunk lettering, and the remote problem! I don't want them tearing the dash apart to repair the clicking defrosters that many have complained about. I obviously liked the appearance and performance of the car, but the quality on my car sucks!

This is two new Chevrolets in a row that I have had significant problems with. I don't think I'll try for 3 strikes! Too bad. I've been a loyal GM driver and auto enthusiast for over 47 years.
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    I have also noticed a limited range in my remote. I may have about 25ft with no obstructions. I just noticed tonight that the range may have degraded. I may be responsible, though, because I had the windows tinted. I was told that the metallic window tinting can affect the range. So far, it's not an issue for me since I rarely use the remote start but I wanted to let you know that you're not alone. :(
    Do you, or anyone out there know where the receiver is located? Nothing has been added to the car since new, so I'm really frustrated with this latest problem. It takes the fun out of getting a new car. Thanks for the reply. Anyone else have any ideas or solutions?
  • 66novss66novss Member Posts: 12
    The antennae is located in the upper windshield. Not for sure where the remote start module is located. Since it doesn't matter which transmitter you use, it could be a problem with the module receiving a strong enough signal. On the subject of quality control, why cant GM seem to put a quality paint finish on the inside of the doors,trunk & under the hood. Seems like the last few GM cars I've had has had thin paint in spots & poor gloss in these areas. :confuse:
  • ronbo10ronbo10 Member Posts: 45
    For those of you who find you have limited range using your remote fobs, try this: put the fob under your chin (touching) and then try pressing the button. This can significantly increase range, I've found. Why this happens I'm not sure- perhaps your body becomes an antenna of sorts.
    Today, I started getting a "service tire monitor system" warning in the information center. A call to the service writer at my dealer resulted in being told that I have a bad sensor on the right rear. He also advised that there are quite a few '06 Impala owners having problems with the remote keyless/remote start system, the same problem as I posted earlier. When will this nonsense end?! He advises that there is a forthcoming TB on this problem.
    zjim, Sorry for your troubles. So far, I'm been pretty fortunate but I can definitely understand what you're going through. Hopefully the repairs will make things right the first time. I'll cross my fingers for you. :)
    Thanks, quietpro! If the dealer can't fix the issues satisfactorily, I'll be trading the car. I'd rather take a loss than to put up with another lemon. I'm sure that others are satisfied with their Impala. Maybe I'll get lucky and the problems will all be corrected next week when it goes back to the dealer. Hopefully, that will be the end of problems.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I think if you'll look it seems GM applies the color paint all over the car, but then apparently only applies the gloss to the exterior of the car. I assume this is a cost-saving move, but there might be some other reason.
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I've been blaming the window tint that I had applied to my LTZ for the degradation in distance on my remote too. I frankly hadn't even considered that it could be a problem related to the car itself. It will be interesting to see what my dealer says if there is a TSB issued. I hope I don't end up in a battle because of the tint.

One thing is 100% certain about the tint - reception for AM band stations dropped by a HUGE amount. Fortunately I don't listen to AM radio very much.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    This is our first large passenger car, after having driven compacts almost all my life (before this, the largest we had was a Dodge Caravan, which this replaces, and a Honda CR-V).

It's really quite nice - accelerates a lot better than previous generation 3.4/3.5, it's very quiet, and handling is even better than the LS models from former years that I test drove. Certainly worlds above the former "base" model with wallowy suspension.

Thanks Lutz, for improving the looks, engine, and suspension! And keeping the "occasional use" extra seating spot on the front seat!
  • quigquig Member Posts: 16
    Can any one tell me whats the differents in gas mileage for the 06 and 07 Impala, looks about the same to me even with the new 07 engine. And what advantage would I have by buying a 07 than a 06 right now. (With the 3.9, 6 engine in 07)

Thank you
    Quig
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Chevrolet tested the newly designed 3.9 V6 engine for the 2007 Impala indicated that at low speeds an improvement of about 5% fuel savings. At higher speeds a savings of about 8%. Average about 6% improvement from the 2006 overall, however a lot of internal changes were made to the 2007 3.9 V6 with new solenoids and new oil galleries, oil squirters for each cylinder and many other improvements etc. It will be interesting to see what the list price for a 2006 Impala is compared to the 2007 with the 3.9 V6. A 6% savings for me would amount to about $95.00 a year in fuel savings costs at todays gas prices. This does not factor in the technology costs of this new 3.9. that will be added to the cost of the car........... Car & Driver magazine just tested the 2006 Impala SS. The three testers were impressed with the Impalas performance for value, but were disappointed in the cars handling, flat front seats, and lack of performance equipment such as upgraded struts & tires like the Pontiac GXP has. The Impala is still lagging the competition. Hopefully the new RWD 2009 Impala SS will answer to some of these needed improvements and come closer to segment leader like it should be.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    How about the lower power, is it just because of the new SAE procedure for its measurement?

TIA
    I am not sure why the advertised horsepower in the 3.9 is dropping from 242 in the 06, to 233 hp in the 07. A lot of mechanical changes were designed into the 2007 3.9 V6. It could be to do with that or the new SAE procedure. When they brought in that format last year the Corvette Z06 went from advertised 500 hp to 505 with the SAE calculations, and some other engine combinations went up in horsepower ratings and some went down. Many current V6 engines with smaller displacement are putting out as much or more horsepower then GMs 3.9.
  • jcooleyjcooley Member Posts: 46
    For the 3.5: "Output for model year 2007 is upped to horsepower of 224 @ 5800 rpm and torque of 220 @ 4000 rpm"

How is this done? Where there mechanical changes?
  • jz68jz68 Member Posts: 61
    Soon before my 90 day XM radio trial was over I received a bill for the next three years of service. Since I didn't want to continue receiving XM I threw it away thinking that it would be the last I heard about it. A few days ago I received another bill, this time stating that my payment was past due. I called XM and asked them WTF was going on and their reply was that I had been signed up for the 3 year plan by my dealership. I went through everything I signed and nowhere did I come across anything to do with XM radio. I'm not sure if my dealer did something sneaky or if it was XM radio. I was able to cancel without owing anything so no harm no foul I guess. :mad:
    Sounds like maybe your dealer was involved. My sister and I were both contacted by XM to ask if we wanted to keep the service. We were advised that our service would discontinue if we chose not to subscribe.

On a side note, I decided to keep XM but was charged an activation fee, probably in part because it was a second XM radio for me. I simply sent an email at my convenience and they credited my account with no hassle. I would say that proves XM isn't free of errors but their customer service is truly service oriented. :D
  • ivanadrivealotivanadrivealot Member Posts: 35
    Charts2, could you post or link to the source of this info?

Also, is anyone else with an 06 3LT or LTZ just a little concerned about longer term parts availability for such a short run with this 3.9L engine? It's almost unheard of. I was planning to keep this one for quite a while, no major complaints so far.
    I can't get the website to transfer to this site: Try this, GOOGLE: 2007 Impala Fleet......then click on...... News results for 2007 Impala Fleet......second title down click.....General Motors 3.9V6 family grows with E85-capable and fuel....gives the whole story of this NEW 3.9 V6 for the 2007 Impala........read the whole article AUTO SPECTATOR......there are too many changes to the 2007 3.9 V6 for me to post. One big difference between the current 5.3 V8 and the new 3.9 V6 with the Active Fuel Management is that with the 5.3 randomly shuts down 4 cylinders every time it is activated. The 3.9 V6 it will always shut down the left bank of 3 cylinders which makes me believe over time the 3.9 will have more cylinder/piston wear on the left side. A lot of internal changes to the new 3.9 which makes me believe there will be an increase in cost for this new technology. The only advantage I see is it will raise the CAFE numbers to keep GM above the required average 27.5 mpg. I don't see any savings for the consumer. Had to be a huge cost to refrig this new engine after only 1 year.
    Change that there will be more wear on the right side of the new 3.9 V6.......not the left side. The right side stays activated at all times according to GM.
    Some other changes (tentatively) for the 2007 Impala. All 2007 Impalas with bucket seats will now have a gear indicator on the console as well as the bottom of the speedometer. The 2007 Impala SS will share the same suspension components (blistein shocks/struts) and larger front tires as the Pontiac GXP. Car and Driver magazine just tested the 2006 Impala SS and they indicated it fell short of handling compared to the 2006 GXP. These improvements to the 2007 Impala SS will make the car handle better, and have more grip in hard acceleration then the 2006 Impala SS. I wonder what additional improvements will be made next year to the 2008 SS?
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    GM is going to kick butt.

Now lets hear everyone say: Union Concessions work!

Hopefully by 2009, all of the V6's will be alluminum. One of GM's problems is that most of its cars are heavy for there class. Weight kills fuel economy. It is the weight of GM's liabilities of course, that adds weight to the car, they can't afford expensive and light weight materials on the same level as the Japanese. This is changing slowly, but the japanese are also improving.

I think GM needs some vertical integration to shield itself against market changes for its basic parts, like rubber and steel. For now, however, they MUST focus on liability elinimation, if you look at there balance sheet your gonna want to scream.

The changes to the impala are a great sign of progress. There is a story on edmunds that says GM will introduce many new engines and transsmission options, including significantly revised ones, for the comming year.

Can't wait to see this improved impala. I am not sure how the RWD thing is going to play out. It will be fun sure, but lets not forget the camry has been FWD for a long time and it is on top. GM needs to see if there is something esle wrong with its product, because clearly the drivetrain is not it.

I am not saying its a bad thing, and clearly GM will sell a boat load of the 2009 impalas, but FWD is not the reason its lagging behind the Camry.

Good thing GM is making the nessesary improvements to the Impala, does anyone know if you will be able to see DoD kick in, on your dash, like in the GXP? These cars should not be carbon copies of one another, but some features are common sence.
    The current 2006/07 Impala are equal to the Japanese competition, but now GM has to win sales back that have been lost. The latest news leaking out is that the 2009 Impala will be a stunner!. Hints of the late 60s Impalas' and the 2003 SS concept, the car will be up to 3 inches wider, the front/rear wheels pushed out farther, RWD, the 3.9 will probably be the base engine with performance options over 400 hp. 6 speed auto and possibly 6 speed standard as an option. Possibly a 20" wheel option similar to the Chrysler 300 and Charger. 2009 will be a very important model year for many manufactures. The current Chrylser 300 and Dodge Charger will have major refreshening around that time, The new Dodge Challenger and for sure the new Camaro will hit the streets also. According to Bob Lutz all the stops will be pulled out for the new Impala. Its a do or die situation for GM. The current Camry/Accord are #1 and 2 in sales because of their years of a positive relationship with the american consumer. They aren't on top because of their styling. The next Impala will not only have quality but styling as well. Exciting times are coming.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    I agree. My Impala (2LT) has about 3500 miles on it and no real problems associated with driving or handling. I bought an Impala because it is larger than a Camry and rides better than an Accord. I didn't buy it because of its resale value -I'll keep it 100k miles and by then who cares? It has a large trunk, the flip and fold rear seats, enough passing power for me, good gas mileage, and a smooth ride. It also was better equipped than a Camry or Accord for the same price. I'm perfectly happy with it. I suggest that people who prefer Camrys move over to the Camry forum.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    Mine is fine - no worse or better than my 2003 Deville or anything else I've driven. It is muted and you can certainly talk over it. I don't know what the big deal is about wind noise. Obviously CU tested a car with a bad window seal or something like that.
  • 06fasst06fasst Member Posts: 48
    where are u getting your info on tires according to the 2007 print book they have not made any mention of the new front tire size
    I'm hoping that the GXP struts will interchange with those on my '06 Impala! I absolutely hate the jouncy ride on my 3LT. I'm still waiting for the dealer to either confirm or deny my complaint about my car bouncing like a speedboat over a wake every time I hit a dip in the road. If they are interchangeable, I'll switch rather than fight!
    zjim, How many miles are on your SS? Mine has about 4500 and the front suspension seems to be getting softer and softer. I can definitely get a sense of the weight on the front end now as the front seems to float while the rear end seems to absorb the dips. The new suspension is one of the things that sold me but it seems it only performed better while it was BRAND new. I'm not going to stress over it but I will remember when it's time to buy again.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    Hope that they don't price the 09 Impala RWD out of the Camry/Accord price range.

The Chrysler 300 is priced at $30K+ range and is not high volume vehicle eventhough it has been a very sucessful vehicle. GM should not be chasing the small volume with car like Impala. If the Impala moves upscale, and the Malibu does not take up the slack on size and performance as well as styling, Chevy will repeat the path of Oldsmobile : designed themselves out of the market with the elimination of their volume leaders (Cutlass and Eighty Eight)in favor of the pricier Aurora. Also with gas price heading up North of $3.00/gallon, the demand for ultra powerful engine in midsize vehicle could be limited.

FWD is not what is limiting Impala. It is its aging platform (dated back to 90's)and conservative styling. Toyota and Honda are sellling their Camry and Accord with more than 40,000 vehicles/month vs. 25,000 for Impala.

jt
    Cheers & Gears, chevrolet cars post #15. I might have misunderstood the post regarding front tires. Car and Driver magazine just tested the 2006 SS and it fell short in handling compared to the current Pontiac GXP that has firmer suspension and the larger tires up front.

I don't know why we compare the Impala to the Camry/Accord. Both are a foot shorter and the same size as the Malibu. The next genration Impala should be in the large car catagory.
    Its apparent Chevy isn't really after volume now. As we know they capped production of the 2006 Impala at 250,000 units. It seems they are in the process to make more money per unit then just flooding the market (fleet) with none profit cars. In order to keep prices lower when the next generation Impala rolls out they might offer a bare bones base model. Thats where most of their sales are now. The SS only accounts for about 10-15% of total sales.
  • quigquig Member Posts: 16
    Thanks alot Charts2 great info.
    Quig
    I said a few posts back that the 2006 Impala is equal to the competition, even though I believe the Camry/Accord should compete with the Malibu. Longevity and resale value is what the Japanese cars are all about. If you trade an Accord/Camry within the first 5 years your will pocket more money in resale value then GMs comparable offerings. Check it out. If you keep an Accord/Camry long term their reliability outdistances the competition generally speaking. Check out the streets. How many Chevy Celebrities, Citations or even Luminas do you see around, but Hondas/Toyotas in large numbers from the 80s & 90s are still chuggin' along and are in big demand. Camrys/Accords don't win top sales honors based on their styling. Its their resale value, longevity and service departments that go that extra mile that has the american public buying Japanese again and again. Just reading a few posts here where already after a short time a few 2008 Impala owners with nagging problems vow never to buy again. Its too bad. Chevy has been in business for 95 years in America and its getting beat by companies that have been here only a short time on our own turf. Something Ain't right! I am not knocking the Chevys.....just telling it like it is.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Sure Hondas/Toyotas have issues, but that doesn't explain why the American public keeps these cars #1 and #2 in sales year after year. You tell me Imidazol97? Why does almost every car publication puts most Toyota/Honda products in the top catagories year after year. I know they are all biased, even though GM spends millions advertising every month in their publications. Whats your answer? It doesn't matter to GM or Honda or Toyota what you and I think or buy, its what the millions of other american consumers are buying. I have said before I have been driving chevys for over 38 years but not afraid to give credit to to car manufacturers that have stepped up to the plate in the USA and beating a company that at one time was the envy of all and is now just barely hanging on financially. Honda/Toyota have done their homework. while GM thought they were invincible. Within 2 years many new products will be coming out of GM. It will be a do or die situation for them. Lets hope they get it right!
    Instead of steadily making this Impala better year after year Chevy jumps all over the map. The 2000 Impala came out FWD with two engine choices....then a few years later tries a supercharged version, that lasted a couple years, now the small block FWD v8. A couple years from now that will all be dropped and a new RWD version of the Impala will be coming out. I am excited about that but it will take years again to build up a reputaton. Honda/Toyota have steadily improved their products over the years. They have been making Camrys/Accords/Corollas for decades steadily making small improvements every year, learning from their mistakes. As an example of my statement above. Chevy made a lot of models that came and went. The CHEVETTE,CITATION,CAVALIER,CELEBRITY, LUMINA etc. That had to cost them BILLIONS. Instead of a business plan in improving these cars they were sent to the bone yard early. It takes years to build up a reputation as in any business or product, and right now the only Chevrolet with a repuations & longevity and has done very well is the Corvette. GM has to build a car that the people want and to keep improving it year after year to bring the buyers back. Would I like to see the Impala the #1 car nameplate in the USA.......certainly! but making wholesale changes every few years on this model will never get this car to where it once was ......at.#1. Being #1 today is more important then ever........just my opinions.
  • ivanadrivealotivanadrivealot Member Posts: 35
    Thanks charts2, much appreciated. Wow, now I'm glad I *don't* have the 3.9 with DOD/AFM. From several prior posts here, it sure sounds that real-life mpg should only increase 1-2 mpg with DOD. If you're mostly a city driver, then I seriously doubt you'll see any noticeable benefit, maybe 1 mpg more.

I agree with you -- I don't like hearing the same 3 cyls will be deactivated, as that should cause uneven wear over time. I was hoping it'd be like the V8, and would only deactivate a different set of 2 cyls each time to keep it balanced. I'm now thinking that perhaps you don't see any real fuel savings until you deactivate half the cylinders. Running on 3 cyls just sounds odd.

Since I generally keep my cars for 100K+ miles to get my money's worth, I'll gladly trade 1-2 mpg (even at $3+/gal) for an engine that sounds like it may provide the better long-term reliability. DOD is still pretty new, at least in this incarnation. I'd like to see the repair histories on those engines 5-7 years down the road.

I'm not knocking GM for trying to increase fuel economy, but I'm not convinced it will provide the best overall customer economy once an expensive engine repair is factored in over the marginal fuel savings. Admittedly, this is all speculative on my part since they're so new. Who knows, perhaps GM will surprise us all as they generally build pretty good engines, even if they're not the quietest or the smoothest.
    I give GM credit for this technology breakthrough in a V6. Like you I hope reliability has also been built in. Time will tell.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    see post 1485
    2022 X3 M40i
    Thats correct for the 2006 Impala SS V8 post #1485. The 2007 Impala 3.9 will de-activate cylinders 1, 3 & 5. Making it operate on 3 cylinders is my understanding.
  • steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    My mother just traded in her 1987 Chevy Celebrity for her 2006 Impala. The Celebrity was still going fine.
    If you take care of your car it will last. Chevy engines last a long, long time.
    Thats one!......where's the other million that they made... Just kidding! Your right about taking care of a car. I am into collector chevys and there are still many from the 60s still poking along with the original or second owners with the original clear plastic seat covers, and still haven't rolled over 99,999 yet. I wish your mother good luck with her 2006 Impala.
    Y'all keep talking about uneven engine wear on the cylinders and pistons but I don't know why the deactivated cylinders would wear less since they are still moving, even while deactivated. The only thing that changes are camshaft lobes that stop activating the push rods and valves. I guess it's possible that the pushrods and valves of the deactivated cylinders may wear less but it's been a long time since valves and pushrods have had failure issues.

I can understand your skepticism but your negative speculation doesn't help anything. Why not give it a chance and see what happens?

As for Chevy starting and discontinuing model lines, it's all about the names; the same models continued on. The Celebrity was a transition to a smaller six passenger car. It evolved into the Lumina (never understood why that thought that name would sell) and later into the Impala. I would guess part of the reason they took away the famous old names was due to the backlash from traditionalists when the Nova name returned on a rebadged Toyota Corolla, the Cutlass Supreme was switched to FWD, etc. The revival of those once grand model names is a testament to GM's confidence that the newer versions do justice to the famous nameplates of old. I think they still have a way to go but I do believe they'll get there with the new RWD platforms. I would love to see new Chevelles, Camaros, Impala/Caprice Classics, even a nice new Cutlass Supreme (although it probably wouldn't work as a Chevy). Those cars really inspired people to love and bond with their vehicle, wash and polish them, etc. These days, the personal pride of ownership seems to have faded from most people. Cars are more like appliances to them and I think that's a major reason why Toyota and Honda have done so well. Chrysler has managed to tap into that old passion to a degree with the new Charger. Ford has managed to maintain it with the Mustang (although I am unsure how they managed to do it through the last couple generations). GM tapped into a bit of it with the new GTO but took the lazy approach they are known for and simply rebadged a lack luster model from Australia. The SSR is truly original but appeals to a limited segment. A more mainstream power house will sell much better and hopefully we'll get one or more in the next few years.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    On fuel efficiency improvement, everything counts. The AFM gives ~8-10%. Now switching from 4 speed AT to 6 speed AT would give better performance and somewhere between 5-8% improvement in fuel consumption. Making vehicle lighter (using high strength steel)will do wonder too.

That is how the Japanese improve their products: small increment improvement every year. After 5-10 years, the difference is startling.

jt
    When the Impala came out in 1958 it didn't take many years for the US public to make the nameplate #1 in America. They gave the public what they wanted. Sure competition then was basically between Ford and Chrysler but at that time americans would never buy foreign products of any kind. Today its much different. Their is very little loyalty. The Japanese caught on quick in the 70s-90s when they saw the junk the big three were making, and they made a lot of rust bucket junk. I owned a couple and saw the rest. You don't build a reputation on "LETS TRY THIS" well that didn't work thats make another car and call it something else, we can fool them. They continued making junk. A cars success is built on long term quality, reliability, warranty, customer satisfaction, dealership satisfaction, resale value and small accounts a nameplate. Honda/Toyota watched what the big 3 were doing wrong and continued making their nameplates better year after year. It doesn't matter personally what I like. The american public is the barometer of what works and what doesn't. and right now Honda/Toyota and the Korean cars have been given the stamp of approval by the car buyers of the USA. They offer better power train warranties, 5 speed and 6 speed transmissions (that the 2006/07 Impala doesn't offer) and solid reliability that goes back generations when GM was trying to guess what they were going to name the next car they made that would only last a few years and hit the scrap heap. I like the current Impala but I have been saying for a long time on this forum you have to stay fresh to be competitive today and right now I think Chevy is still chaseing its tail while the competition gets even stronger. Some of the proof is on this forum where already disgruntled owners are vowing to move to the competion next car purchase. GM can do a lot better.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    “GM can do a lot better.”

Although I think I understand what you mean by that statement, I believe that GM is actually doing all they can, from a product standpoint. I don’t think that, realistically, they can do a lot better – right now.

Meaning: I don’t see how even investing more $$s more quickly will bring the production capacity for their 6 speed automatic transmissions (FWD & RWD) on line any more quickly. The ( long ) R&D cycle is done, but production capacity for such complex and heavy and expensive components as make up modern transmissions takes time to do properly.

I doubt if anyone outside GM knows exactly what models are due for the FWD 6 speed automatics, in what order, as capacity ramps up. But I expect that GM would LIKE to put one in the Impala. Today. But I am not sure where the Impala is in the waiting line. Or even if the Impala is on that list.

On the RWD side of the GM house, for example, the Caddy STS for 2007 is offering a new version of the six speed automatic. Only on the V8s. And to replace a pretty darned good 5 speed. ( I have driven a couple & reviews have been almost universally positive. ) Not a 4 speed. One could certainly argue that the V6 versions of the STS would take better advantage of the additional ratio and the substantially wider spread ( between first and sixth gear ) in ratios, given the lower HP & TQ ratings of the V6 vs the V8. But Caddy (apparently) reasons that the V8 is more premium and deserved the most premium ( ? ) transmission - first. Or something like that. I will be very interested to see what GM \ Caddy says about this in their marketing of the 2007 STSs.

In the Impala context, my point is:

I just don’t believe that GM right now has any more money to spend ( or that they could reasonably borrow more money, at their current debt ratings ) to throw at new product development or at increasing capacity for such component manufacturing enterprises as the transmission plants. They have clearly been badly burned by excess capacity issues. And continue to be burned. And even if they had more money to invest here, ramping up ANY production capacity any more quickly probably looks rather risky & fraught with potential peril.

Would I like a six speed trans. in my FWD 2005 GP GXP? Assuming it was well sorted & durable, possibly. ( Clearly right now there is no reliability history at all for the FWD six speed automatic. At least one version of the RWD six speed has been used now for nearly a complete model year in the Corvette, with minimal reported issues. )

Would I have preferred a V8, RWD, 300+ HP \ TQ sedan for my $27,000 when I bought it last June? Quite possibly – but GM certainly does not make such a beast, since the demise of the GTO. And I had issues ( including the old 4 speed automatic, with no manumatic function ) with the GTO beyond 2 doors vs 4.

And, who does now market one in or near that price range? (Rhetorical question.)

Would I trade my 2005 in on a 2008, if a FWD version of the six speed with sufficient HP \ TQ capacity was developed & available? Possibly.

Public introduction of a RWD Impala is likely quite some time in the future. And more effort ( $$s ) may be thrown at the RWD Camaro. Again, no one outside GM likely knows the timing here.

I am not convinced, based on what I’ve seen in the 2007 Order Guide, that the upgrade to a six speed for the STS V8s will prove sufficient ( and it looks like almost the only significant upgrade for 2007 ) to improve the STS’s sales numbers appreciably.

We’ll see.

If the new Saturn ( Aura ? ) with the first application of the FWD six speed is a huge sales success, will that be attributed largely to availability of the six speed? If it proves to be a slow seller, will that allow production capacity to be utilized earlier \ sooner for other candidates, like the Impala?

Or will the Impala be considered not worth the time and effort to engineer this combination – as it will (apparently) be replaced by a RWD model – sometime?

Dunno.

My crystal ball is a little foggy. Humidity in the Atlanta area is rising, as Summer approaches . .

But I do think we live in interesting times, automotively speaking.

- Ray
    Watching & waiting . . and pretty happy with my current ‘ride’ . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    It wouldn't make sense to spend tech $$ on a 6 speed auto in the FWD Impala now that the focus is on the RWD model coming down the road. Bob Lutz says its coming. Your right about GMs financial situation. I can only say they have made mistakes in the past, and some things out of their own control such as legacy costs. Any US company in business more then 30 years is starting to accumulate legacy costs that down the road will hurt their ability to compete with companies that don't have such financial burdens. But thats business and good planning will allow the strong companies to survive. GMs US sales bread and butter is still the truck business. I look more to the future then the present, and anticipation of whats coming is where my focus is right now. I was going to buy a 2007 Impala SS at the end of 2007 but a short wait longer for what I believe is coming will be worth it to me. I am happy for those that are enjoying their current rides.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I disagree with your longevity comments. Chevrolet is well known for having long lasting cars. In fact I drive one with over 130,000 miles. My family has had 300,000 Chevrolets in the past as well as a close friends Caprice having over 200,000 miles. Japanese cars are known for fit and finish, and that is about it. I will take a GM car for longevity over your Japanese car any day. My neighbors Sentra's engine only lasted 116,000 miles. I live in Northern Illinois and it is very common to see 1970's and 1980's GM cars still running strong, where as it is rare to see a 1980's Japanese car. Are you from California where every body seems to think Japanese cars are hip or give some kind of statement about their lives. Sorry if I seem to be making this personal, but I am tired of these silly perceptions that people are falling for.